• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.4 /5

About Expensify

Easily track your receipts and manage expenses on the go with Expensify.

Learn more about Expensify

Jany C.
Accountant
Accounting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/05/2018

"I love Expensify!"

Comments: Save tons of time for reviewing, approving and reimbursing to employees.

Pros: It saves employees a lot of time and hassle on doing the paper work including keeping the receipts. Employees only need to take a picture of the receipt and submit with their phone. It is easy and timely. If expenses are not submitted immediately, at least the scanned receipts are kept in Expensify for employees to submit anytime later. With the feature of the scanned receipts, no more keeping the stack of paper receipts!

Cons: Syncing Expensify with accounting software (Xero) in order to get a complete and updated customer list is not 100% there yet. A lot of times, we couldn't submit an expense marking billable because the customer is not available in the drop down window in Expensify. This requires accountants like us to do extra work in accounting software (Xero) to fix the entry.

• Reviewed on 16/05/2018
Stefanos S.
Business Operations Assistant
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/10/2017

"Reliable and rewarding!"

Comments: - Expense tidying up
- Categorize according to projects, events etc.
- Everything centralized
- Ability to handle expenses with other team members

Pros: We have been using Expensify for over a year now and I can say that it we have been pleased more or less. I really like the fact that you are given the ability to manage your expense and categorize according to how detailed you really need it. In addition, the joint report of all expenses is neat and easy to manipulate. I would say that it is quite user friendly once you get familiar with it (you do need a few times to use it in order to get a full handle on it). The app is a strong point as well.

Cons: Nothing too bad about it. Sometimes it cannot process as quickly as I desire especially when uploading pdf files. Subsequently I have had to log out and log in again to reset it in a sense. Other than that I would say it is a rather solid service.

• Reviewed on 11/10/2017
Technical Sourcer
Information Technology & Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees

"Expensify Honest Review"

Comments: Overall experience has been great. I love from a user experience how easy it can be to submit expenses and receive a reimbursement. From an administrators perspective it can be a real pain going through everyone's expenses and sometimes correcting them yourself.

Pros: I have a love hate relationship with Expensify. First with the positive, I love how I am able to expense items through the company and receive a refund in a relatively short amount of time. I love how you're easily able to take pictures of receipts and collect new expenses. Overall, a straightforward easy to use application.

Cons: Being on the administrator side as well the categories are an incredible pain. For the most part it is straight forward but from experience I've had so many instances where I reject expenses from the team because they are not categorized correctly. This take up so much of my bandwidth during my day when it really shouldn't be. I wish there was a simpler way to automate categories but as of right now it has been reeducating the team on which expenses so into which category.

Andrew P.
Founder & Creative Director
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2018

"Ideal for a small business"

Pros: Being a small business without a full time bookkeeper, we use Expensify to keep all the many expenditures and accounts organized between sessions with our accountant. Expensify's integration with Quickbooks Online is very helpful as well.

Cons: We would benefit from a more detailed mobile interface, having the ability to create subcategories of expenses. Although a lot of this can be updated though once the Expensify transactions are synced with QuickBooks. All in all, this is a very helpful app for our small business.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2018
Joshua J.
Customer Support Specialist
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2019

"A well rounded and easy to use accounting software"

Comments: I really enjoy expensify and everything it encapsulates. It's easy, and quite frankly, effective and I recommend to everyone.

Pros: Quite frankly, Expensify is literally the easiest and most effect of the Expense software on the market. It's easy to use, it's thorough and it's easy to download/understand reporting features.

Cons: I've been using Expensify for nearly 3 years, I personally do not have any qualms with Expensify. Internet speed can affect issues, if you are updating a bunch of receipts.

• Reviewed on 24/10/2019
Director Of Operations
Design, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/03/2019

"Fantastic Tool"

Comments: Overall, we really like Expensify and the pricing structure works so well for us given our infrequent use. There are many features and functions that we don't need as a company, but considering the features that we do use are so easy, I would guess the rest of the product is just as great!

Pros: We mainly use Expensify for reimbursement reports and to track credit card receipts. We don't even use it to its fullest function and still highly recommend it. Especially now that the pricing is based on usage, it's a no brainer! You only pay for it when you use it and based on how much you use it, which means there's really no risk in purchasing a subscription! It also makes reviewing and reimbursing reports easy and the historical reporting is very handy if a question arises after the fact.

Cons: The only thing that can be confusing is that you have to add an expense and then start a report and link the expense to the report. Every employee I've ever worked with has gotten tripped up with this step, because instinctually, everyone assumes you can start a new report first and then add an expense to the report. In general, this is a small complaint, but it would be more intuitive if the first step was creating a report.

• Reviewed on 06/03/2019
Associate Community Manager
Real Estate, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/01/2020

"The clear leader in expense reporting"

Comments: A few months ago, I liked Expensify, but probably wouldn't have rated it quite as highly. Recently, however, I've been required to use Certify for expense reports. WOW, Expensify blows it out of the water in every regard. More mobile friendly, easier to use regardless of device, and much less of a learning curve.

Pros: While it's easy to use Expensify on your desktop and drag and drop e-receipts into it, it's also very mobile-friendly. For paper receipts, I always use the app to photograph my receipt. The process is pretty intuitive and easy to learn.

Cons: Expensify allows users to create "rules" that prefill some expense details based on conditions you set. This could be built out a little more. For instance, why do I need to select what card was used for a purchase if the expense automatically ported in from my credit card activity?

• Reviewed on 29/01/2020
Steve C.
Executive Pastor
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/06/2018

"Expensify has helped us manage our expenses and brought our whole team to the next level!"

Comments: Helped our whole team better manage our expenses and finances. And helped our small nonprofit stay on top of our finances and stay compliant.

Pros: Extremely simple and intuitive. Snap a picture of a receipt and let the software do the rest. It's like having your own personal finance assistant. I love it!

Cons: I've had a few issues here and there with the credit card import sync, importing expenses properly from bank account. I've also had a few sync issues with quickbooks category sync.

• Reviewed on 12/06/2018
Nivin J.
System Engineer
Oil & Energy, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/08/2018

"Simplify the process of managing your receipt and expenses using this cloud-based application."

Pros: The mobile and website interface is very user-friendly and easy to set up and implement. It provides a lot of integrations with other accounting tools like QuickBooks and NetSuite that helps in facilitating direct reimbursements. From the time you get your receipts, it automates the expense reporting process. Manual entry is eliminated, reducing majority of errors by employment of OCR technology. They provide attractive and affordable monthly plans. While you sync your corporate card, all your transactions get synced automatically. You don’t have to wait till you reach your office to scan your receipts, you can just take a photo of the receipt and upload it. You can categorize and put filters to your expenses. It eliminates paper receipts by using these scanned receipts. Reduction in the time consumed for reviewal, approval and reimbursement process.

Cons: Few configuration settings only available for admins. The customer service takes a lot of time to respond. Provides limited reporting capabilities. The absence of a reminder feature.

• Reviewed on 05/08/2018
Hanna R.
Quality manager
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/04/2019

"Submit reports easily with Expensify"

Pros: Great tool for submitting expenses. Pretty easy and intuitive to use, the interface is built the way and it gives hints and tips where/what to fill.
I also love the view when you can see all submitted resorts and their status, moreover, email notifications make it easy to always stay up-to-day about any changes made to your report.
Another great thing is that you can use it on desktop as well as on your mobile phone, make document photos/scans in a ​couple of seconds and attach them to the report.

Cons: It would be better if "Generate PDF" and "Add documents" would have the icons that clearly show​ the functions, faced a couple of times with the issue when I need to attach the file, but clicked "Generate PDF" button instead

• Reviewed on 26/04/2019
Founder and President
Sports, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/10/2018

"A MUST for mobile record keeping!"

Comments: fantastic, time saver, syncs with our existing financial management tools very easily.

Pros: Easy to keep track of expenses while on the go, mileage, receipts. Integrates with accounts in a couple of clicks. Very simple, user friendly!

Cons: There's not a button that reaches out to grab our employees to make them actually DO these simple steps to keep perfect records while on the move.

• Reviewed on 15/10/2018
IT Technician
Education Management, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/12/2019

"Keep your expenses in check with Expensify"

Comments: I recently have tried to simplify my life by not having a traditional wallet and just using a phone case to store my essential cards and some cash. I used to have many receipts in my wallet and now I didn't have anyway to store them until I reconciled my accounts. Expensify helps me capture screen shots of my receipts, enter in the info from the receipts and then create reports of my expenses. It's a great way to keep your finances in check.

Pros: I like the fact that there is an app as well as an online website so I can track my expenses on the go or in the office. Online storage of receipts is nice too.

Cons: Marking the receipts as closed is kind of difficult unless they are added to a report. It could be a user error on my part.

• Reviewed on 03/12/2019
Rahul V.
Management Consulting, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/08/2018

"Ok for personal expenses"

Pros: The app helps track expenses on a daily basis. It also helps make claims on a corporate level. The app is user friendly and light weight

Cons: The app need integration with many corporate systems so that it's easier for reimbursement. Personal expenses can be tracked but they obviously do not get reimbursed

• Reviewed on 21/08/2018
HR Lead
Hospital & Health Care, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/04/2021

"Simple Reimbursements"

Comments: Overall, expensify has been a successful tool for our company to use for employee reimbursements. The customer support chat experience is adequate. They are able to integrate with HRIS systems for employee creation and reimbursement if desired. Overall it has done the necessary job.

Pros: I like that we can set up permissions so managers can review expenses but the finance team can do a final review prior to reimbursement.

Cons: The admin experience is not the best. I wish they would populate expense reports that have action needed in the home page for administrators who need to reimburse the expenses. Expenses can sometimes get 'lost' in the system without administrators realizing.

• Reviewed on 06/04/2021
Moira B.
Business Management
Accounting, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2019

"Expensify tracks your expenses flawlessly!"

Pros: The thing I like the most about expensify is that it is super easy to use and isn't a hassle to integrate into the natural workflow like other softwares. All you need to do is just take a quick photo and its already on the software. Controlling your expenses in an easy to digest and manage application makes it less stressful and exhausting to make sure everything is in check. I didn't even know I wanted expensify until I used it.

Cons: There are some minor features that I would like to see added in the future, but as of now it is still a great product to use.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2019
Ellen J.
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2018

"Mixed bag of tricks"

Pros: Good for keeping track of and reporting basic expenses incurred for your business. If you need it to do anything extra, not so great. Bells and whistles break frequently and at the worst times.

Cons: If you need customer service, start by asking someone else. If you submit a ticket or an email for an issue you may be having, they will respond (never sooner than 12-24 hours) with a copy of that topic's Help manual. In other words, their customer service gives new meaning to terrible. If you try responding to that copy/paste answer, they will copy/paste from another part of their Help manual. It's truly frustrating and you have to get stinking mad before an actual person replies to your issue, usually with a sorry for your troubles reply. I've given up asking them for help. Oh, and if you have a broken bank connection, they love to blame it on your bank instead of actually looking to see if it can be fixed on their end. And no, this is not the free version.

• Reviewed on 05/12/2018
Vince B.
Lead Pastor
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2017

"Never keep a receipt again. This is a great tool for logging expenses."

Pros: Never keep a receipt again. This is a great tool for logging expenses for the entire staff. The photo option for receipts is a time saver.

Cons: There are times when the receipt image does not match the expense that is listed. I'm not sure of any work around.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2017
Business Development Manager
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2017

"Expensify saves time and hassle!"

Comments: It saves me a lot of time and hassle. I am much more organised when travelling and more confident that I am submitting all of my expenses and not losing money!

Pros: Using Expensify has helped me keep on top of my travel expenses by scanning the receipt on the go. I no longer have a huge build up of receipts in my wallet or spend half a day filling in expense reports. It's quick and easy to upload an expense and create reports. I like that I get notified when my expenses are approved.

Cons: It can be a bit slow sometimes to scan and read the receipts, especially if they are in other languages. Sometimes it is easier to cancel the scanning and enter the details manually. Occasionally reports are submitted automatically without me doing so which is a little bit annoying

• Reviewed on 06/11/2017
Eric J.
Business Development Manager
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2015

"A quick way to take care of expenses"

Comments: My company recently switched to Expensify from another expense management application, and it has been fantastic, specifically for one reason, I now spend less than half as much time doing expenses! Expenses always have always been the bane of my professional existence, I travel every week for work, and generate a lot of receipts. I would spend a minimum of one hour every week associating receipts with expenses, filling out multiple items per transaction, and trying to read faded receipts. The use of Expensify has substantially reduced the amount of time I now spend doing expenses. This is specifically do to the Smart Scan feature of Expensify, allowing me to take a photograph of a receipt and by the time I get home all the relevant information from that receipt (date, vendor, and dollar amount) has been important into Expensify, meaning all I need to do is enter in the purpose and I'm all set. Additionally Expensify auto generates receipts for expenses under $75 when synchronized with my credit card. This means I don't have to keep receipts for the majority of my expenses, a novel concept compared my previous life of walking around with a wallet filled with no less than 20 receipts at any given time. I would definitely recommend this to any fellow business professional who has suffered through expense reports in the past like I have.

• Reviewed on 09/02/2015
Partner
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/09/2018

"Great Program"

Pros: Ease of use and better standardization of reports. Easier for users and admins.

Cons: Cost. Would love to see a lower overall cost, but that's us being greedy.

• Reviewed on 06/09/2018
Scott G.
Salesforce Architect
Consumer Goods, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2016

"Expense reports have never been easier"

Comments: I used Expensify at a previous job as our sole means of tracking and submitting expenses. Three jobs and three different expense reports solutions later, I still seriously, SERIOUSLY miss the ease of use of Expensify. The mobile app allows you to instantly scan, process and upload your receipts to the application which then automatically matches everything up to your monthly corporate card statement line items. It could not be easier. I'm back to taking photos of receipts and figuring everything out by hand in Excel spreadsheets and I could cry. GIVE ME BACK MY EXPENSIFY!!!

Pros: Mobile app which allows you to scan receipts at time of, well, receipt - and then pretty much forget about them. Automatic import of monthly credit card statements and match up with scanned receipts. Submitting expense reports is super easy too.

Cons: The fact that my current company is not using it. =)

by Expensify on 13/12/2016

Thanks for the awesome review, Scott! If you ever want to show your finance department just how truly awesome we are, shoot us an email at [email protected] and we'll set you up with a demo :)

Have a great week!

• Reviewed on 13/12/2016
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 31/12/2020

"We stopped using Expensify after 5 years of being customers"

Comments: We've used their service for 4 years and they kept increasing their fees and finally they locked us in an annual agreement and changed their procing model again. They customer support don't answer any questions, they keep sending links to their documentation and support forms instead of answering questions.

Pros: Their software has a lot of features but nothing that the other player in the market don't have. their customer services is horrible

Cons: Their are far better alternatives in the market with better value, honestly stay away from them. we've worked with them for a long time and they changed from a startup to a big company with horrible customer service and focus on getting more money from their clients.

• Reviewed on 31/12/2020
Mike W.
Director of Enrollment and Community Development
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2019

"Expensify Simplifies Expense Reimbursements"

Comments: We are saving time on expenses and we are able to spend more time serving customers. it makes perfect sense!

Pros: I love that Expensify enables the picture taking to create the expense and interpret what that picture says. That is software saving me time versus having to manually enter things like many expense reimbursement apps.

Cons: I believe you should be able to edit expenses even if it is not on a report. Editing should be available no matter what the context.

• Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Customer Success Manager
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/03/2018

"Awesome Expense Report Managing Tool"

Pros: Very easy to use. I travel internationally for work and often have expenses in foreign currencies, Expensify does a great job with exchange rates/conversions. I use Lyft business for transportation and I can easily import receipts into the app. The mobile app is great for uploading receipts. I also expense distance (miles) and Expensify makes that very simple. My expense reports are reviewed and approved quickly thanks to this tool, I love getting email notifications that let me know if my report was approved or not and if my money is on its way. It's very easy to tie in your bank account and get direct deposit for your reimbursements.

Cons: I have had issues with the mobile app being slow, sometimes I have a hard time editing the name on reports. Small buggy things but nothing too bad.

• Reviewed on 14/03/2018
Jackson H.
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 24/05/2019

"Expensify - A great and easy way to track"

Pros: The simplicity that Expensify brings is more than any other software out there. Hands down the best to use and the most simple solution to solving a headache of keeping track of expenses and receipts etc.

Cons: It would be nice to be able to learn more about Expensify before having to sign up on the website and give all of your information to them beforehand.