AmberPOS Reviews

by Pacific Amber Technologies

• Overall
    4.1 /5

About AmberPOS

Point of Sale Software and Retail Management Solutions for retailers in Canada and the United States.

Learn more about AmberPOS

Showing 25 reviews of 51

Wayne G.
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2014

"A robust POS for small businesses"

Pros: They are responsive to requests for assistance. The software has many advanced features. The value is good. The built-in reporting is nice, with some caveats (see below).

Cons: As a former software developer with 15 years of experience, there are a few issues I have. These might not bother everyone, though. First, the reporting system is nice, but you cannot alter the format or add/remove fields from the canned reports. This means I eventually had to build my own back end reporting system. The vast majority of people won't be able to do this, so be aware that if your main goal is robust reporting, this is a pretty major issue. Lack of keyboard shortcuts. If I change a SKU I cannot hit ctrl+S to save. I have to click the save button with the mouse. It's annoying. Unable to customize screen layouts. On the customer screen, for example, I cannot choose to display only the fields I use. This means there are a ton of fields I don't care about that I can't hide. This is the same for all the screens. The software has a lot of fields because of the advanced nature of its design. Even so, I don't need all of them, so being able to hide them would be wonderful. The label design system lacks a "snap to grid" system. Actually, it doesn't have a grid system at all. This makes designing a label unnecessarily difficult Custom queries cannot be altered later. If you setup a special price rule with a custom query and later wish to modify it, you must start over. Any attempt to change it will give you an error. This is annoying and leaves you open to risk that your new rule will miss logic you built into your old rule. It rounds down on sales taxes. If you sell any item that results in a sales tax value less than a penny, it won't charge sales tax. When you move thousands of dollars a year in these small transactions, this can lead to a substantial amount of sales tax you owe that the system never collected!

• Reviewed on 17/10/2014
Genevieve E.
    2.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2014

"We have been very happy with Amber POS"

Pros: The reporting feature is awesome! We can provide all the relevant information our bookkeeper needs quickly and easily. Our training technician was extremely helpful and gave us a very useful orientation. We also really like the integration with a second back room computer, freeing up the POS for sales while inputting new inventory.

Cons: The software was a bit overwhelming as first. It would be ideal if there was a simplified version available for smaller businesses that could be unlocked and expanded as needed. Free technical support should be appreciated. The support subscription is expensive and the cancellation fee is disappointing.

by N/A on 24/10/2014

Our technical support fees are some of the most affordable in the industry at just $29/m per system, which covers our customers for unlimited technical support and includes ongoing software upgrades at no extra charge. While most software manufacturers force you to re-purchase a new version of the software every few years, our customers enjoy the benefit of getting all updates included for FREE with our support & updates subscription. Not only does this mean they don't have to incur additional major costs every few years, it also means they are always getting the most up-to-date version of our system, and their staff can always contact us for unlimited support.

We do not charge a cancellation fee for the monthly support subscription. However, if a customer decides to opt-out of our monthly support and software updates program for an extended period of time, and for example if two years later they are running an older, out-of-date version of our software because of that decision, we do charge a small re-activation fee to complete all the necessary updates on their systems. However there is never any fee to cancel our support program.

• Reviewed on 23/10/2014
Luke B.
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2014

"Great Investment"

Pros: Amber is the most user-friendly POS software I have come across. It is very easy to use, and the basics can be learned and navigated through almost without any experience. The vendor is also great. The support I have received has been great from the Amber technicians. They respond very quickly to any questions and concerns you have regarding how to use different functions or to correct mistakes. They are quick to take control and show you while guiding you over the phone through the steps of how to accomplish what it is that you would like to do.

Cons: Not having 24-7 customer support. Due to not having a round the clock support for weekends and other times, there are times when you cannot get assistance when you want it. Being on a different timezone also interferes with scheduling times for instructions and online help.

• Reviewed on 11/06/2014
Jacob A.
  • Reviewed on 17/04/2012

Comments: Totally Awesome Goods is a new retail brand with the ultimate goal of having a few stores and a robust website. It was important for me, right from the start, to use a POS system that can be integrated with my website and can handle more than one location. I was just about set to go with another POS system, when Software Advice recommended the AmberPOS. I spoke to Ashley at AmberPOS who was very helpful, patient and supportive throughout the process. The POS system is very easy to use, and mostly very intuitive. Since there is a lot of functionality, I am still learning all that it can do. I was up and running very quickly. The implementation was very easy, without any issues. The technician, Pavel, was very helpful and knowledgeable. Support in general has been very good. The only major issue I have had with AmberPOS was its integration with the merchant services account. I needed to do it through a YESpay gateway, and I was not aware that was the case until a couple of weeks before the store was to open. I felt this could have been better explained up front. As a result, I don't have that integrated with my POS system. Other than that, I am thus far happy with the decision.

• Reviewed on 17/04/2012
Abraham S.
Compliance Officer
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2018

"Excellent Software for an up-and-coming company"

Comments: I utilized and managed this software at a clothing store in Downtown Brooklyn a few years ago

Pros: The software itself has a very user-friendly interface when compared to other POS programs and customer service is respectful in the least. You may not reach them on your first call within a timely manner, but when you do get someone on the phone, they are always able to help you figure out your problems.

Cons: Like most POS software, it can be difficult to train new employees who are not tech savvy on using the interface. I would recommend a more competitive, modern software for companies with more than 10 employees.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2018
Suzanne V.
HR Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 06/12/2016

"Useful POS that allows good reporting"

Comments: Ambur is an intuitive POS system that allows you to track inventory, and run reports easily.

Pros: Track inventory, ability to apply discounts at will, intuitive.

Cons: I'd love if ambur allowed reporting on applying discounts and coupons. Their customer service has also seriously lacked during this last year. I'd also love if they put together a closed loop gift card service that is integrated.

• Reviewed on 06/12/2016
Jan L.
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2012

Comments: My partner and I own two knitting stores with extensive inventory. The inventory system that we were previously using was not user friendly, nor did it provide us with adequate reporting tools. We knew there had to be a better system, but as small business owners, cost was a significant factor. After extensive research into a variety of different options we decided that Pacific Amber Technologies provided a better product than others that cost twice the price. We have now been working with Amber POS for over a year and cannot say enough about how happy we are with this transition. The support crew was extremely patient, efficient in training all our staff, and their continued support has been invaluable. I would 100% recommend Amber POS to any business, small or large.

• Reviewed on 21/02/2012
Stephen M.
IT Manager
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2018

"Poor company"

Comments: Stay away

Pros: Pros???? None that I can see of. They play smoking mirrors with you. They did start the refund of the cost.

Cons: They want you to open up your environment to them. They want Team Viewer access to every computer that it is installed on, and SA database access on your SQL server where you do not have access to. They will not even give you the software! Not to mention forwarding the SQL port on your router to the server as well.... Major security holes and would highly recommend staying away from the POS!

• Reviewed on 19/11/2018
Meg S.
General Manager
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2015

"Great value for the price"

Pros: It is easy to use and intuitive. Support is great (front end sales, telephone IT support, online manual is pretty good).

Cons: Everything so far has been good. We have only been on the system for a month.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2015
Bill W.
  • Reviewed on 25/06/2011

Comments: We are a small business that sells fishing and kayaking supplies both locally and online. As our business has grown so have our data maintenance requirements. We were operating the store and online business on independent databases, which created double the work. I looked for a solution that would integrate the two platforms and create one selling database that would solve this redundancy problem. Happily, I found Pacific Amber Technologies and their software program AmberPOS and purchased the system in June 2010. The conversion from my old system went smoothly and we were up and selling on the AmberPOS platform within a couple of weeks. AmberPOS then integrated my POS system with my online store and eliminated the necessity of managing two databases, thus cutting my workload in half. The AmberPOS system was easy for my staff to learn and the staff at Pacific Amber Technologies has been great. They have a support staff that is second to none and have completed many custom tasks for me in a timely manner. I would highly recommend this software to anyone looking to change software platforms or starting from scratch. Great Product!

• Reviewed on 25/06/2011
Trevor H.
Store Manager
  • Reviewed on 03/03/2020

"We made a great decision"

Comments: AmberPOS has taken our store from the analogue era to digital in one fast, relatively easy step. It's been a great transition, with excellent help from AmberPOS staff in every stage.

Pros: This software has saved our team time, saved us from headaches, and has brought efficiency to our store beyond any other system that has been tried since we started.

Cons: Although it would be nice to have a little more leeway in customizing some of the terminology within the software (change "Vendor" to "Donor" to fit our business operations, etc), there really isn't any downside to AmberPOS that we've found.

• Reviewed on 03/03/2020
Guillermo S.
Network Engineer
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/07/2018

"Top notch POS System"

Comments: Has a cool training mode, that copies your actual database and you can do tests and play with the features without messing up your actual data.

Pros: Easy to use, can link multi-location stores and keep all the data centralized on a robust SQL server on the main location. The Barcode designer is great to work with, product labels look professional and are fully customizable with your own logo, etc.

Cons: Windows only - not really a con but you can't get to use iPads. Requires a decent machine to run on, specially if you're running only one terminal and you have the SQL server on it.

• Reviewed on 16/07/2018
Abdullah E.
Furniture, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/09/2018

"Great training and demos"

Comments: Overall great value and features are mostly what you need to get you off the ground and even growing.

Pros: Really affordable, especially since they offer multi store features, if you want to expand without expanding your expense.
Somewhat easy to use but their team really are quick to help and explain everything so I didn’t feel abandoned at all.

Cons: I felt the inventory could have been made easier and simpler although to be fair they did eventually help me get it right.

• Reviewed on 06/09/2018
Ramamurthy S.
Senior Systems Specitalist
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2016

"AmberPOS"

Comments: The product had the features. The only drawback was Integration to other systems.

Pros: Point of Sale, Tracking Rental Items

Cons: Integration

• Reviewed on 11/12/2016
Annette G.
Controller
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2017

"been using this for four years and it is VERY reliable. like all new software programs, you need to adjust to all new bells and whistles"

Comments: We are a unique company with three locations and use retail and layaways. looked at a TON of different software programs and this is the only one that could customize our Layaways for what we needed. Do you have to wait sometimes for answers? well yes, who doesn't? The majority of the time I get through right away.
However, when my server went down and I needed them ASAP, THEY ANSWERED VERY QUICKLY! I was up and running withing an ' hours' and it took me over a week to get my server back. (wasn't Amber's fault it was default hardware). We were still able to run the program on computers/registers without a server. (not many software companies can boast that)
I have dealt with another retail software program in the past where SQL was ALWAYS BREAKING DOWN (for days) then all of our stores were literally down. This system (AMBER) has a great SQL structure and database. There is no perfect software company but Amber has always been kind, considerate and helpful whenever I called for issues. The problems have always been fixed (some require patience which in today's world- no one wants to wait). the most important thing is to have a stable system AND having someone in your company who can help train those who are computer illiterate. it is up to you to make the changes in your company.
there are SOOO many reports to choose from that I still haven't used all of them. the best part is having all the customer history and all this history of purchases, sales etc that you can use.
Amber does a great job of tracking individual items, so you can easily see who purchased them. Exporting is great to excel spreadsheets.

Pros: Customer History and product history. this software tracks EVERYTHING that you do with a product.

Cons: glitches that come occasionally with updates.

• Reviewed on 21/02/2017
Kevin M.
Wine & Spirits, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2017

"Support of AmberPOS support"

Comments: For a stand alone POS solution, this is the one to choose.

Pros: AmberPOS has been our retail software supplier for over 15 years. We have had great support and solutions that fit our needs. Their improvements to the POS program has helped Marquis Wine Cellars get to the next stage of growth. Support is timely and knowledgeable. Lots of reporting capabilities and the program has been very stable over all these years.

Cons: This could integrate easier with accounting software.

• Reviewed on 13/10/2017
Dina M.
  • Reviewed on 23/05/2017

"Great Product!"

Comments: I quite enjoy using this POS system, it has made my life so much easier and I would definitely recommend to any small or large business looking for a point of sale.

Pros: Ease of operation, function ability. I like being able to add inventory fast and efficiently !!

Cons: no mainframe backup

• Reviewed on 23/05/2017
Jeff K.
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2014

"Patch, patch, Poof"

Pros: I literally lost six weeks of patches, adjustments, reloads, and re-entering products. Even with my own IT personnel involved, it never really worked. They gave me my money back, but I lost a lot of money in labor on my end to make it work. It never did integrate with Big Commerce. It deleted products on the website that were not supposed to be deleted. It was very user-unfriendly. If you like talking to their staff every day and waiting for call backs, go for it!!

Cons: Every function was a custom patch.

by N/A on 24/10/2014

This customer had a very unique set of specialized custom requirements for their ecommerce setup that were unique to their store. We spent several weeks of our time trying to accommodate the unique needs of this customer, including developing custom changes to our web connector module for them, but with each customization we made for the customer, we realized that their needs were more and more specialized.

After trying to accommodate their very unique needs, and investing resources from our side on custom programming and support, we jointly agreed with the customer that their unique, specialized needs could not be met.

Therefore we agreed to offer the customer a complete 100% refund on their purchase, even though our support and custom development costs outweighed their investment in the software.

We hope the customer can find a custom developed solution elsewhere, and apologize for any time spent from their side while we tried to make it work for them.

• Reviewed on 14/10/2014
Mrityunjay S.
Financial Controller
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/08/2018

"Happy with the product, followup services."

Pros: Really detailed and good control for inventory and very simple to use.
The best part is any one can learn how to use quick

Cons: Would have been awesome if you could integrate this software with any payment processing companies.
Overall good performance

• Reviewed on 23/08/2018
Kevin M.
  • Reviewed on 24/11/2011

Comments: I am very happy with the software and service from AmberPOS. I have specialized needs for my POS and PacificAmber Technologies have been especially responsive with regards to customization. They are receptive to ideas that will improve their software and show a commitment to producing the best product available. Their response time is very good and the AmberPOS staff have been thoroughly professional in all my dealings with them. My retail store is open seven days a week so stability is paramount. In over 7 years of use, I have yet to have my POS software crash. I heartily recommend this company and software to anyone in the retail sector.

• Reviewed on 24/11/2011
Chris M.
Furniture
  • Reviewed on 12/06/2014

"AmberPOS Rocks!"

Pros: Ease of use and awesome people to help at a moment's notice!

Cons: A wee bit more ability to customize would be great.

• Reviewed on 12/06/2014
Sonam A.
Software Engineer
Retail, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/03/2018

"A very secure system"

Comments: Overall its a good system

Pros: Main advantage of this system is it is very secure, no chances of fraud and as well as it is very fast

Cons: Should provide free trial atleast for three months to the merchants so that they can get enough time to be familiar with

• Reviewed on 01/03/2018
Daniel S.
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2012

Comments: We are a small rapidly growing specialty garden store. We have used a few different POS systems since opening, about 6 years ago. All of the systems we worked with in the past had too many functionality issues for us to keep using their software for very long. Since switching to Amber POS almost 2 years ago, our system has become much more streamlined and much easier to use. We have a warehouse that we use for excess product and bulky item storage. Amber POS can accurately track ALL of our inventory in both locations. When we expand to more store locations, we can add an infinite number of additional stores, using all the existing information. No need to retype anything in! All business information is now kept in one place. It's very easy to find any information needed from product information, vendor information, customer information, to all sales history & reports. The staff at Pacific Amber has been a blessing for our business. They are always ready to help with any issues that may come up. They usually answer the phone on the first call, but if I have to leave a message, I get called back quickly. Try that with Quick books and see how you feel endlessly waiting for help that doesn’t come. We had some issues setting up our old accounting program on new computers we bought. The staff at Pacific Amber even helped us install software from another company! I'm not saying that they are supposed to or expected to, but service like that is one of the many reasons that I am extremely happy with their software and support. They care and it shows. They also got our new website up and running! They advised us which shopping cart software to use, and then integrated it to the Point Of Sale. Now we can upload, update, edit, add and remove products from our online store right from the POS window! When we sell an item online, the transaction can be downloaded into the POS without having to retype any information! I'm sure you can see how much time this can save! We can even sell on eBay though our website and not have to retype in ANY information; it all gets downloaded correctly right into the POS. All in all, this is a great system and I am very happy with it and the staff at Pacific Amber Technologies. I would highly recommend it to anyone who needs a solid POS system, from a single store with a small inventory, up to large retail companies with dozens of stores and thousands of products. This software can handle whatever you need it too.

• Reviewed on 07/02/2012
Lisa M.
  • Reviewed on 07/11/2017

"Amber is an update from an old POS system and it now allows me to couple inventory with a web site"

Comments: Would love to be able to have a convenient suggestion box to enter suggestions for improvement - and a newsletter emailed or on program to access letting us know what changes made and what changes you are working on to improve the program.

Pros: After a bit of a learning period since I was not used to working with spreadsheets, I found it easy to work with. After two years I am still finding out features that I find useful. Have also found tech support friendly and helpful. Integration with Big Commerce added additional challenges that Amber seems to be trying to deal with .

Cons: Tech support feedback not 100%. Had sent a few questions that did not get answered. Would really like to have an emailed newsletter announcing what improvements and changes have been made to the program. Found out that I needed to log onto a special site that had that information after being with Amber for a few years. Although POS program seems non geek friendly this information is aimed at the techs.

• Reviewed on 07/11/2017
Penny W.
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2017

"Endless flexibility and functionality. Great service."

Pros: I love that the system is easy to customize and flexible. The Amber staff is always available and willing to help, and have helped me craft the system to work exactly how we need it to work for the unique needs my retail store has. They are able to remote into our computer and help us create new features or troubleshoot problems in real time.

Cons: I would normally call it a con that I have to sometimes leave a voicemail, but honestly, it's faster than going through 20 different prompts before I can reach a live person. When I do leave a message they call back right away. There are no voice prompts. It's either a live person straight away or a quick call back. And the support staff is a small team, so you can easily speak to the same person every time you call, and they know our account when we call, AND they know and understand their product, which is more than I can say for 90% of the technology vendors I normally have to deal with!

• Reviewed on 05/12/2017