AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

• Overall
    4.6 /5
    4.5 /5
    4.4 /5

About AppFolio Property Manager

Your complete property management software solution to streamline your workday and focus on your bottom line.

Learn more about AppFolio Property Manager

Showing 1,695 reviews

Allison A.
  • Reviewed on 05/02/2021

"Promising Software / Horrible customer service"

Comments: I could have had a great customer experience with appfolio, if they had better trained staff to answer your questions in a timely manner

Pros: I like the customization of this software. It is ideal if you manage a variety of portfolios. The dashboard and tasks menu are placed well and easy to navigate. The software uses a tab feature that allows to easily work with different tasks at a time. Excellent reporting features. Great mobile app

Cons: HORRIBLE customer service. The software is extremely robust, which will normally be a good thing. However, with that comes a lot of questions. Unfortunately only 1 out of 5 agents can help you. Most issues will have to be advanced to a senior agent . Once that happens you will have to EMAIL what your issue is or wait anywhere from 3-7 days for a scheduled phone call. So if your issue is time sensitive you are simply out of luck. I am seasoned property management professional, and I have worked with many softwares. Appfolio, by far is one of the most difficult I have worked with. There is countless steps to complete
everything. Of course that allows for a lot of customization, but understand it takes a long time to learn it.
Additionally there are promised features that don't work well. For example text messaging. You can text within the software, but there is no push notification. So if you are not inside the software or checking you email constantly, you won't know someone sent a text. So Pointless!!!. That is just one of many.
There is reason there is no free trial and they bound you to a one year contract.

• Reviewed on 05/02/2021
Mario V.
Property Manager
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2020

"Appfolio: An Overall Property Management Solution"

Comments: Appfolio definitely makes up for any short comings with their innovation and user friendly interface. We like their attention to detail and their progressive attitude towards the future of online property management solutions. I've used other property management systems in the past and they all have significant downsides, whether lacking in their online integration, being too complicated, overkill or some other glaring issue. We like and have grown to depend on Appfolio. Even with it's slight flaws, which are minimal, but hey, no online property management software is perfect.

Pros: We love the ease of use, flow of the interface, and the online integration, the cost is inline with other comparable software, so you definitely get what you pay for. We wish we could make use of all of the features the software has to offer, as there is so much to choose from. Their customer services is upstanding, and we make good use of the 24 hour tenant maintenance support line. We've used Appfolio for 6 years now, and so far we've had a good experience.

Cons: The cons while important are minimal. We face underlying program issues, such as with rent charges. The system is set up for 1st of the month rent charges ONLY, but we have different rent due dates ranging from the 1st to the 15th. This causes havoc for us as some tenants with due dates other than the 1st get charged twice in the longer months. We have to pay them back and it can be very frustrating for them as they have to wait days for their funds. As well the tenant's online portal doesn't always show the correct amount owed as it automatically includes charges for the upcoming month, which confuses most tenants. The ease of use is also a double edged sword since if not careful, as with a lot of programs, you can make system changes, and data or journal entry mistakes that can be difficult to fix. While the customer support is helpful they are not always the end all, so you might be expected to fix your own problems if needed. In some cases customer service can only take you so far. If the issue is long lasting they may start to wane on their responses to you with assistance or be unable to help you. But this is explained when you begin orientation so you should take the responsibility of educating yourself on the system before using it.

• Reviewed on 07/12/2020
Miriam M.
  • Reviewed on 21/12/2020

"Great product overall"

Comments: the overall experience with Appfolio has been a positive one. it has really showed what people are truly capable of given software that works.

Pros: This software is easy to collaborate with teh whole team on even if you are spread out across the state or simply working from home

Cons: I would LOVE to see the ability so sync with Quickbooks!!!!!!! for a midsized company it is hard to stay on top of all the transactions that happen that need to be brought down to Quickbooks

• Reviewed on 21/12/2020
Sandy D.
Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 22/12/2020

"Property Management"

Comments: We have had a great experience with AppFolio. We plan to continue the use of this program.

Pros: I like that we can receive help very easily when needed and everything is in one program. Very useful for our company as well as the tenants and homeowners.

Cons: The biggest issue that we have and most people using this program is that the tenants when moving out there needs to be a way to refund them their deposit through ACH. Just like we do with homeowners and vendors. These days with Covid-19 and the way the Post Office is continuing to lose the checks in the mail. This would be much simpler. Also if a tenant overpays for some reason we should be able to put the money back in their account. This would be a very helpful tool for all Property Managers.

• Reviewed on 22/12/2020
Susan H.
Apartment Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 05/10/2020

"Comprehensive Solution to Rental Property Management"

Comments: We use Appfolio to manage our multi-family rentals and our commercial rentals all in one robust property management platform. We enjoy the multitude of automated functions that promote a streamlined workflow from maintenance to management and the ease of collaboration this suite provides. The real-time activity tracking provides excellent audit control, and the products intuitive design combined with content rich training materials make this one of the easiest programs to learn and use. The search feature is hands down the greatest resource for saving time when you need help with any feature.

Pros: That the software is intuitive, user friendly and the support and training are outstanding. I am truly impressed with ongoing emphasis to improve the software based on customer input and trends in the industry. The company's farsighted mentality gives us comfort this solution will continue to serve us well in the years to come, and the solid reputation and business model provides a sense of security only previously matched by one other software product, and AppFolio has grow to become an industry standard.

Cons: That the Guest Card widget cannot operate independent of the listing. We do not always have a listing, then we are forced to manually record guest cards. If there was a widget just for the Guest Card then we could embed this as a link on our website and prospects can feed data directly into a guest card which we can then utilize the tools such as waitlist or sending a application, etc. Some of the seemingly simplest and easiest product suggestions seem never to gain any traction with the programmers. Like asking to add make and model to the fixed asset report filters.

• Reviewed on 05/10/2020
Daniele V.
Senior Lease Administrator
  • Reviewed on 29/09/2020

"Easy to Use and Always Improving"

Pros: AppFolio is so easy to use! When learning a new task, we often find ourselves exclaiming, "That's it?!" The program is easy to set up and use. AppFolio has allowed us to automate many of our processes including posting rents, calculating management fees and owner distributions, processing payables, tracking tenant and vendor insurance, recurring work orders, sending monthly financial packets and much more. We love that all of our owners and tenants have access to a portal and that communicating with them via email or text is quick and effortless. When we do need help, the AppFolio team is always there for us. From onboarding through support, you know that the AppFolio team is there to help and make sure you're making the most of the program. We couldn't be happier with our decision to use AppFolio!

Cons: A big portion of our portfolio is Commercial. I think AppFolio was originally geared toward residential management. They've made a ton of progress toward commercial properties, but sometimes I wish the commercial features were more robust (example: CAM recoveries). Though this is sometimes a "con", we do not regret our decision to use AppFolio for our entire portfolio. They continually add new features and improve old ones, so I'm confident that we'll see more robust commercial features in the future.

• Reviewed on 29/09/2020
Brandon C.
Broker/Owner
  • Reviewed on 14/07/2020

"Requested Features Still Have Not Been Added"

Comments: The software does a very good job, I fee like they could make some changes to make it a little more customizable and it could be great!

Pros: The accounting is the most robust I have found and do like most of those features.

Cons: I am still unable to text all my tenants at once for emergency situations, this has been requested for years now by hundreds of managers along with myself and its obvious that Appfolio does not listen to most requests no matter how many people have asked for it. I also do not like that I cannot use an outside screening source and the very high cost to screen through appfolio. I also do not like the high cost of a website.

• Reviewed on 14/07/2020
Marna M.
Broker
  • Reviewed on 04/07/2020

"Moved from desk top to online Appfolio"

Comments: My business was desk top based before Appfolio. I had no idea that we were in the dark ages and since we have upgraded to Appfolio the business much more efficient in comparison. Our owner client base has increased in the past year. The website is user friend to navigate, applying is simple, great layout and appearance. I feel fortunate be with Appfolio since most of us do not see each other and the office is close to the public but we are still able to work efficiently even from home. Best decision I ever made for my brokerage.

Pros: The program is intuitive. If you think through the process of how something should work...that is Appfolio in a nutshell. The programming and processes just make sense. The interface is user friendly and I am very fortunate to have found this program and would highly recommend this online software. It's increased our reach in advertising rentals, streamline our communication with owners and tenants, higher efficency in processing work orders and simplified our bookkeeping.

Cons: I do not have a background in bookkeeping so there are areas that mistify me such as clearing accounts, what constitutes a debit or credit in some areas of the program since a negative symbol is not always a debit in the system. I've only been doing this for 1.5 years but I'm learning. I've hired an additional company who is proficient in Appfolio to assist me since I am still in the learning curve.

• Reviewed on 04/07/2020
Tj W.
  • Reviewed on 29/06/2020

"Great Product but support has changed"

Comments: Most items have been great. The software meets most of our needs. The UI is great. The leasing call center was a disappointment on the time it took for our callers to get someone. So we had to move away from that service. Tech support was great for many years. I'm not sure if things have changed or staff is short but it takes longer and longer or no response at all when I put in a support request. When I started in 2010 it was almost instant service and or someone called and walk us through the problem we were having. Now its basically email-only tech support which is the same information that I can get from the help and training section and or no call or no email. I'm not sure what has happened over the last few years.

Pros: ease of use, good ui, handles most of our issues in property management.

Cons: Suppressed fees and or items paid directly to the property management company first go to the property and creates extra work to correct each month. For instance application fees. The fees are paid to the property then repaid to the management company. Then if you have a reason to refund that fee it creates a diagnostic issue to refund back. Its just extra work that is not needed. If the fees were able to be paid directly to the management company and bypass the property all together it wouldn't make much difference.

• Reviewed on 29/06/2020
Corinne S.
Managing Member Code Management
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/03/2020

"Only one complaint"

Comments: I love the software, I hate how much it cost me. Please adjust for the small end user

Pros: Easse of use and how everything is tied in from advertising the unit to renting it, leasing and collecting the rent then finally moving them out :)

Cons: Cost, I think it is too expensive. I do not understand why when you have more and more users my bill keeps going up. for God's sake scottie send this small business owner a line..we are drowning in the cost but can't compete without the software....so I pay..

• Reviewed on 17/03/2020
Sarah D.
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2019

"Appfolio makes our business run smoothly!"

Comments: Appfolio adds so much value to the services we provide to our HOA clients. We wouldn't want to do business without it.

Pros: Appfolio is so easy to use, both for us as managers and for homeowners using the portal. Appfolio has spent a great deal of time figuring out which features are the most beneficial and perfecting those features.

Cons: There are a few very minor technical things but I am sure they will get fixed as Appfolio is constantly making improvements.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thanks, Sarah! We're so glad you are finding AppFolio easy to use with your HOA portfolio and look forward to continuing to partner with you!

• Reviewed on 17/12/2019
Cj A.
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2019

"Very Nice Property Management Solution"

Comments: I have used Appfolio as a maintenance technician, property manager and now accountant for the whole portfolio and I have had a pretty easy time with it every step of the way. I would recommend to at least give it a try before selecting another software.

Pros: Easy to use for users of all skill and job levels. Makes tracking Receivables and Payables very simple. Constantly being updated and enhanced with new features at no new cost (some do cost but the majority are free updates) Customer support is always quick to help and respond. I feel like I get the same support agent 95% of the time, which makes it feel comfortable and like a working relationship rather than some random customer support person every time.

Cons: Some of the editing and finer tuning options are lacking. (Example: not being able to rearrange line items on a bill or journal entry. You can only delete or add new to the bottom, no editing between without having to manually redo everything from the edit down.)

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thanks, CJ. We appreciate you leaving us a review. We are constantly listening to your feedback to inform our product and we'll be sure to forward your feedback to our Product Team! It's great to hear that you are using AppFolio in all areas of your business.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2019
Angela G.
Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2019

"AppFolio is Very Good Property Management Software"

Comments: Overall I am happy with AppFolio and like that I can keep necessary information in one place. I also know it is helping us keep our accounting more accurate and although the process can be difficult, I know it's a good thing. I am encouraged that their customer service has improved a lot and I'm hopeful it continues. I feel like I matter as a customer and that's important. Now that we have been using this software daily for 2+ years I don't know how we'd live without it or something similar.

Pros: As a property management company, it keeps everything in one place. I'm able to track and store almost all necessary information. I also like that AppFolio continually works on improving their software, regularly implementing new helpful features.

Cons: In the beginning, the customer service went downhill really fast, such as sometimes taking a week to get back to me and then having someone that didn't know what they were doing or how to fix our problem. I was very unhappy and thinking we had made a mistake in purchasing, but I can tell in the last year especially they have really worked on improving their customer service with quicker turnaround and better-trained staff helping. I almost always have a positive experience now. There are still some features that we really need for rental management that I'm hopeful are added soon.

by AppFolio on 05/12/2019

Thanks for the review, Angela! We are committed to providing you with the support needed to run your business. Please don't hesitate to reach out!

• Reviewed on 15/11/2019
Denise D.
CFO
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2019

"Always evolving"

Comments: We have been with Appfolio for 9 years - and during that time there has been significant improvements in the system. Our company is a heavy user and utilize as much of the functionality of the system that we can - and as such we are frequently asked to provide feedback to the development team when they are considering options. We are committed to our relationship with Appfolio, however, due to API restrictions, if we have much more growth we may need to consider alternative solutions.

Pros: The software is intuitive, user friendly and a stable platform. They a continually developing additional functionality and release updates regularly. The customer forum is great - you can collaborate with other users, seek our solutions and make recommendations that development will consider for future releases.

Cons: It does not have an open API and they are unwilling to consider this for clients. While they are routinely pushing out enhancements and are developing additional functionality, and they say the functionality is based on client feedback - it seems like development resources are not focused on this things that clients really 'need'.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thanks for partnering with us over the last 9 years. Denise! We look forward to partnering for the years to come!

• Reviewed on 06/11/2019
Pamela M.
Owner/Qualfying Broker
  • Reviewed on 04/10/2019

"Switched from LiveRez to Appfolio"

Pros: The accounting is thorough and generally easy to use. Originally, 5 years ago, some of the ways they did things was different but over the years, things have been much easier & user friendly. I used another accounting property management software & it was a nightmare integrating with QuickBooks. Half the time it wouldn't migrate right. This has made my accounting & booking much simpler, easier & faster. The end of the month accounting to owners takes me less than half the time it used to. Very happy overall

Cons: The fact you can edit the website ourselves. I've used other property management software (LiveRez) and you can update pictures, website page wording and descriptions directly. AppFolio requires you to submit to their team and it take a few days to get done. In this day & age, that should be something we can do ourselves as we need to. Plus updating pages allows for search engines to rank us better.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thanks, Pamela. It's great to hear you are finding the accounting side of AppFolio easy to use!

• Reviewed on 04/10/2019
Joe P.
Executive Vice-President
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/10/2019

"#1 single-family residential PM software"

Comments: Our experience with Appfolio has been great! It has created efficiencies within our single-family division that didn’t exist previously. I’m optimistic that over time they will develop more features that will allow us to be even more efficient.

Pros: It’s robust yet easy to use, dependable, constantly evolving, their developers listen to their customer’s needs and if possible delivers, issues are handled quickly by their web based customer service team, and it’s affordable.

Cons: The layout of the property financial statements are subpar and difficult for our clients to understand; its not the best software choice to manage commercial or multi-family properties; it’s lack of customization

Kendell A.
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2019

"Our experience with Appfolio"

Comments: We used to have to make lots of phone calls and texts with people that want to see our vacancies. Now they can schedule viewings on our web site. We used to have applicants fill out paper applications. Then we would type in much of the information in the credit reporting software so we could run credit reports. Now, applicants complete an online application and we click a button to run the credit and background reports. Once we approve the applicant, we click a button to move them over as the tenants of the unit. It automatically emails and text's them a link to their own tenant portal where they can pay rent online and make maintenance requests online. Appfolio is like having one or two employees that don't need to use the restroom, take breaks or that you have to have workers comp insurance on or pay employment taxes for, etc. It truly is a great solution for property managers.

Pros: I love how easy it is to advertise our vacancies. Then the interested parties can schedule viewings and apply for the property right from our web site. Once we select a tenant, we can transfer all of their information from their application over to make them our active tenant with the click of a button. I love how easy it is for tenants to pay their rent online or at pay stations and it goes directly into our bank account and calculates the management fees.

Cons: The reports could be a little better. On multiple units, the reports don't break down the expenses by unit number very well. So, the owners aren't able to tell on their reports what a management fee charge was for because the charge isn't broken down by unit number. As a result, we get calls from upset owners and our accounting department has to create reports outside of the software to make sure the owners are satisfied. This takes extra time when the software could easily break down these expenses if it was programmed to do so. Our accounting department said that the bookkeeping side of the software could be better.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thank you for your review, Kendall! We appreciate the feedback.

• Reviewed on 24/09/2019
Krystal T.
New Account Specialist
  • Reviewed on 08/08/2019

"Thank you for making our lives easier!"

Comments: Fantastic! I have been impressed with the way that they have continued to grow the effectiveness of the product over the years. Since we started with AF they have added texting and emailing tenants, showing scheduling, leases, merging applicant information, etc etc etc. I honestly can not even think of all the resources they have added off the top of my head, I know there are more. I love being able to be part of the process by providing suggestions and reviews for new functions and features.

Pros: Appfolio has really been a fantastic tool for our Property Management firm. It is highly functional for both accounting and property managers. All information and attachments are also available on one's smartphone through the Appfolio App. Anytime I have any questions, I get help from Appfolio's support team in a timely manner. The search bar is an invaluable resource - being able to look up a tenant, owner, or vendor's information by name, email, address, etc is very helpful. The Owner and Tenant statements are easy to review internally, and easy for the recipient to read and understand. I have utilized other accounting software in the past, and no other platform can come even close to comparing to the functionality of Appfolio. Keep up the good work!

Cons: That I can not set up one owner with separate bank accounts for each of their properties. It is the only think about Appfolio that drives me nuts!

• Reviewed on 08/08/2019
Sheryl M.
Resident Manager
  • Reviewed on 30/07/2019

"Best Property Manager Software I've used in over 22years!"

Comments: I have had nothing but a great experience with AppFolio. I love the fact that it does everything and that it gets better every single week. I love the functionality of it, that you can send text messages to your residents and get immediate responses back probably 90% of the time, I love the fact that it auto populates all you forms for you. I love that most tenants pay rent online so there are hardly any checks to deposit each month. we can send group messages to an entire unit at the same time either via email or text message. I have never felt lost and there is nothing that I cant figure out how to do on my own. The help section is amazing and there is also a forum where you can also get help from other users. I am so glad my company started using AppFolio. There is so much more that I could tell you about that AppFolio does, be glad there is a limit on how much information I can give you!! It is really great software hands down.

Pros: I love AppFolio, it does everything all together in one place, no need to have multiple programs because AppFolio has everything you need to be organized and professional. You can basically go paperless using this software. It is very easy to learn, there is self help that walks you through things if you forget or need to learn how to do something. They are always adding new things and making AppFolio better. Our company is actually one of there testers so we get the new updates to try before they are even released. AppFolio takes you through the leasing process from start to finish and takes care of everything in between. Your company can upload all the forms you could possibly need as templates (applications, leases, notices, letters, renewals, terminations and you can also make your own letters to add as templates.) All forms auto populate and give you the ability to edit as needed to fit the tenant(s) you are sending to. Everything between you and the tenant can be completed online such as applications, leases, changes in terms, addendums, lease assumptions and more. Tenants and managers are able to sign forms digitally which is great. When everyone has completed signing it automatically send a copy of the signed document to each resident and the property manager. Rent can be paid online, maintenance requests are done online. Keeps all your records in one place. I have never used a better software product and I have been in this business for 22+ years.

Cons: This is a hard one because AppFolio since it started has listened to its users and just about everything we've asked for to make our jobs more efficient and easier they have made happen. There is literally one thing that comes to mind that I wish was different. When you print something from AppFolio you click to print to PDF then it opens a PDF copy of what you are trying to print, then on the PDF you go to file, print, then your printer opens up and you hit print again. to me its a lot of steps just to print something. But if you look at all the pros in this software having to click 4 times to print something is really nothing! (me being lazy or in a hurry) Who knows, one of these days I might come to work and they'll have changed it and it will print with one click!

• Reviewed on 30/07/2019
Sherrie w/ professional M.
Accounting Supervisor
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2019

"My Opinion of the Pros and Cons of Appfolio"

Comments: For the most part I am very happy with Appfolio. We still are not using it to it's fullest potential. It seems that I have always had people that I train that are resistant to change. So I have to slowly change things that seem little changes at the time so that they don't realize it and are more willing participants.

Pros: I do accounts payable, plus deal with Owners and basically put out little fires that arise. Since using Appfolio I have reduced my work load or should I say the time that is necessary to do my job. By being able to do ACH's and emailing and texting. End of month statements was reduced down to a few hours from 2 days. The world we live in now does a lot of texting and emailing and that is always nice to be able to do when you are slammed. More than 50% of my Owners are retired or semi retired and are older so I find that it is important to have that conversation with them over the phone for that personal relationship that they like. I am friends with a lot of my Owners even though I have never laid eyes on them. So we need to balance things for good PR.

Cons: I don't have many, and I am at a loss right now to specifically point any particular problem. It is those times when you run into a situation that you rarely do and have problem figuring it out. The instructions are not real clear. As example off the top of my head. I have a problem right now with my Diagnostic under the Non-Zero Security Clearing Account Balances. I think that I have done it correctly after following the instructions and then I find my diagnostic with a problem that I will need help from Appfolio with. Right now I haven't had the time to contact Appfolio to help me due to my own personal issues, medical, vacation etc.

• Reviewed on 09/04/2019
Terri W.
Accounting Supervisor
  • Reviewed on 01/11/2017

"Accounting using AppFolio for 7 years"

Comments: I am not a computer geek, but have had a little computer programming training in the past. As I read the different users complaining about things or how they think their issues should be addressed in the upgrades to the system sooner than other issues, I wish I could open their eyes to finding creative ways to make things work for them till the next improvement arrives. AppFolio is a very elaborate program and there are multiple ways to accomplish almost every task needed in the property management field. AppFolio's development staff has a very complicated job to make this program work perfectly for all their users coming from all different kinds of backgrounds and from what I have seen over the past 7 years, they are doing an amazing job (and it appears they have a lot of fun in the process).

Pros: The support staff is amazing. Responses are within 12 to 24 hrs and solutions are found or suggestions for the future improvements. Over the past 7 years I have watched with admiration as this program has blossomed, filling the needs of multiple users in detailed ways. I use AppFolio in two different accounting venues, one with a large property management company servicing over 1600 home rentals, the other with one owner handling his 325 apartment units. This program provides excellent adaptable reports for both aspects of a property management company and for one owner with multiple apartment complexes in all phases of financial accounting, rental reports and maintenance. AppFolio encourages all discussions between all users and the staff of AppFolio resulting in ongoing improvements and additional options within the program. To be quite honest, since my specialty is the accounting department, there are many parts of AppFolio that I have not had the privilege of really working with, but those that I have come across look to be as detailed and helpful as the accounting processes. The Help & Training section within the program is also evolving and very detailed in explaining how things work.

Cons: If I had to find something I didn't like it would be the constant change that requires me to think and be constantly attentive to the processes in the program. It seems that almost every week there is a subtle or large change that rocks me for a moment. It is frustrating at times to stop and relearn a process. But then to my amazement I am once again loving this program even more and all that it does to make my job easier. You can't use this program out of habit. It is always evolving for the better.

• Reviewed on 01/11/2017
Krista P.
Brokerage Assistant
  • Reviewed on 29/12/2020

"Good Product- would like to see some added features"

Comments: This is my second time working transferring data from one system to Appfolio. 2 different companies. I really liked having a team I wish that team would continue. I've been a promoter of Appfolio for the most part I do think it's user friendly. Which is key.

Pros: I love the universal search bar. The overall look is good. Customer support is quick.

Cons: I would like it if when we send bulk mailings/emails that our name isn't shown so that it is more generalized. Owners would like more flexibility with log in options. For instance we had an owner who didn't want to get texted a code and would prefer to be emailed. We were told if they have a number we can't offer that. The majority of our owners complain about the 2 verification methods necessary to log in to their portal. It would be great if there was an easier way to edit the owners as far as their percentages. Some owners make changes or incorrectly gave us their information. We then have to act as if its new ownership and that is difficult and messes up our dates. Bulk mailings to only tenants in certain cities would be nice to have. The activities alert would be good if we put in an activity and other could get that alert. A notes section under each form of contact would be great. Sometimes we have a family member who isn't the owner but helps and it would be great under both emails and phone numbers if we would be able to put in a note. It would be awesome if we can make small edits. Like adding a note box where we think it should go. (I know that is far fetched but I can put it on a "Wishlist". )

• Reviewed on 29/12/2020
Cheryl S.
Executive Assistant
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2019

"Easy Program to Learn!"

Pros: I started in property management in 2015 with absolutely no experience with PM or PMOS!
My boss and I went over running owner reports and monthly statements, but that was about it. Everything else I had to learn on my own.
I'd say I was at 80% of mastering all the features and systems within about a week. Luckily, the "support" system has become much more efficient that my predecessor's notes said. Presently, the longest you ever have to wait for support is about 12 hours.
They always develop new features which makes things easier. I particularly like being able to "Text Unit" or "Text Property" features. Tenants can "text" back, but it comes in the form of an email. If you use your personal phone for business, this is tremendous!!!!
You can also see who made edits which is nice. My office only has 2 people, but I can imagine that if you were in a larger office you would want to be able to note who made what changes and why.
Move out accounting is super easy with Appfolio - saves me a lot of time generating move out reports.
And finally, I'd say that online applications really streamline the process. This is by far my fave feature of Appfolio.

Cons: While I can allocate certain payments, I can't seem to allocate charges. I'd like to be able to do that. Also, transitioning tenants from one unit to the other is confusing. It's not hard to do, but I don't follow the logic. That might just my fault.

• Reviewed on 15/02/2019
Julie D.
  • Reviewed on 28/07/2020

"Appolio Review"

Comments: Overall it a good solution for our property management process for 743 managed properties, some of the simple processes have too many steps and the user profiles do not always meet our companies needs.

Pros: Intuitive menus and ability for customers to access information remotely

Cons: The number of steps to complete simple processes such as writing a check and the rigidness making error correction somewhat difficult. Not all functionality supports different business units within one system

• Reviewed on 28/07/2020
Jason M.
General Manager

"Appfolio"

Comments: we love Appfoio

Pros: Appfolio is easy to use, the software is easy to navigate and they are always coming out with new helpful features

Cons: I wish there could be better integration with management forms. I wish we could upload videos for inspections. The inspection module in the mobile app is slow uploading pictures.