AppFolio Property Manager Reviews

by AppFolio

• Overall
    4.6/5
    4.4/5

About AppFolio Property Manager

Your complete property management software solution to streamline your workday and focus on your bottom line.

Learn more about AppFolio Property Manager

Showing 1,514 reviews

Joe P.
Executive Vice-President
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/10/2019

"#1 single-family residential PM software"

Comments: Our experience with Appfolio has been great! It has created efficiencies within our single-family division that didn’t exist previously. I’m optimistic that over time they will develop more features that will allow us to be even more efficient.

Pros: It’s robust yet easy to use, dependable, constantly evolving, their developers listen to their customer’s needs and if possible delivers, issues are handled quickly by their web based customer service team, and it’s affordable.

Cons: The layout of the property financial statements are subpar and difficult for our clients to understand; its not the best software choice to manage commercial or multi-family properties; it’s lack of customization

• Reviewed on 03/10/2019
Yan S.
  • Reviewed on 18/07/2019

"Great product and really terrible support"

Comments: It is a tough call because the product is good. We migrated from Yardi and don't regret it BUT if I knew how weak the support team and the nightmare that we would have (for 7 months we couldn't reconcile bank accounts and the "boarding team" simply vanished) I would most likely have stayed with Yardi.

Pros: The software is definetly the right product. It is intuitive and very easy to use. Having used Yardi for 10+ years this product is simply outstanding. It is definitely not even close to what you can do in Yardi, but for 90% of what most of us do, it is allot easier and quicker then Yardi.

Cons: The company is suffering from a very bad support team. When they sell you the product it almost seems that these guys mastered the art of eSupport and you can solve problems with a click. This couldn't further from the truth. For most of the "how to" problems they are quick to respond and usually send you a quick article on how to. The problem becomes when you have a real problem, like late fees simply not posting the correct amounts at the wrong dates, or bank account balances don't add up...in general bigger problems call for a "we will put our head in the sand and hope it goes away" mentality.

• Reviewed on 18/07/2019
Tara D.
Residential Property Manager
  • Reviewed on 11/08/2018

"Sad to be looking elsewhere."

Comments: Initially, I was thrilled with Appfolio. They had live support, and same day follow up calls when submitting tickets. Suggestions on the user forum were implemented, or at the very least, were updated by Appfolio so we knew they were aware and cared. None of that anymore, but we are regularly being innundated with value added junk that we can pay for if we want it or obscure improvements that seem pretty specialized/not broadly impactful. Meetups, etc. are heavily geared toward sales/recruitment and have virtually no value for current clients. I was fine with shrugging my shoulders as this is often how things go with growing companies, but looking completely unprofessional to my tenants/owners due to unreliable email/text, suppressed fee accounting/commingling problems (that are legit problems, not user error), and confusing owner statements have me in talks to switch. Property managers are dealing with stigma to start with - I don’t need my management software making my company look unreliable/unprofessional/untrustworthy on top of it. Not to mention - I dread having to explain during a state audit why income is “suppressed” from owner reporting.

Pros: Extremely easy to navigate/train employees to use, tenant rent payment/owner contributions are free with ACH, application-move in flow is smooth, mobile app works well, available property postings look great on my website.

Cons: Suppressed fees amount to commingling, and that is so bad. It could easily be resolved and the idea has lots of votes in the forum yet it remains unaddressed. Not to mention, suppressed application fees can be passed on to an owner before you need to refund the fee depending on the timing and that leads to a nightmare of accounting, and having to explain to an owner why you are unprofessionally having to withhold the money in the next month. I tried to get help from support to no avail (it was repeatedly blown off as user error) so then I started going to their live meetups when they came to town begging for help from support in person to make it clear it is not user error. That led to more dissmissal from user support as being due to user error, so I finally said I wasn’t taking no for an answer. After talking to tons of people, I finally got a support person who understood what I was saying, and all they could offer was a VERY time consuming work-around. The integrated email/text feature often fails and does not notify you that it failed causing huge problems. Notification emails when a lead inquires have started being unreliable. If tenants wait too long to respond to an email I sent via appfolio, they are told the thread has expired. Since every email sent from appfolio is sent from a different spammy looking email address, I get frustrated tenants asking which of the 15 email addresses they should use to reach me. Owner statements are confusing to owners.

by AppFolio on 21/08/2018

Hello Tara, thank you for taking the time to leave this review. We understand your frustration and we are glad that you were able to talk through these items with one of the managers on our Customer Success Team. Based on your business practices, not consistently paying our your suppressed fees seems to have caused an issue with your owner's statements. We hope, after speaking with a manager, you will be able to establish a good cadence of paying these in order to avoid error in the future. We take our client feedback seriously and take all of it into consideration when building and improving new features. We hope you will stick with us and continue to provide this vital feedback.

• Reviewed on 11/08/2018
Corinne S.
Managing Member Code Management
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/03/2020

"Only one complaint"

Comments: I love the software, I hate how much it cost me. Please adjust for the small end user

Pros: Easse of use and how everything is tied in from advertising the unit to renting it, leasing and collecting the rent then finally moving them out :)

Cons: Cost, I think it is too expensive. I do not understand why when you have more and more users my bill keeps going up. for God's sake scottie send this small business owner a line..we are drowning in the cost but can't compete without the software....so I pay..

• Reviewed on 17/03/2020
Morgan S.
Area Manager
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2020

"AppFolio is good, but still some features that I WOULD LOVE"

Comments: Since we have upgraded to AF plus and a dedicated rep I think that we have been able to use AppFolio more for what we want vs, what the greater good does.

Pros: I love how easy it is to use. I like customizing our own reports and how easy it is. It's exciting when "what's new" comes out and figuring out how we can us it!

Cons: What I find as a pro is also a con. It is customizable, but the reporting we have to do more "workarounds" to get our desired info and often these workarounds are not 100% accurate. Such as commission tracking, rental reporting for team members, renewals and screening process is basic. I think that appfolio is close but I think they could up the game with more functional guest cards and follow-ups where we take control and customize.

• Reviewed on 18/02/2020
Charlie G.
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2020

"CANNOT PROVIDE DETAIL REPORTING"

Comments: They dont seem to have a handle on their data. Their accounting is extremely cumbersome.
They lump transactions together. They sometimes put credits as negative income. So you have to look in 2 places . Their reconciliation process is difficult.

Pros: EASE OF USE.

Cons: APPFOLIO IS UNABLE OR UNWILLING TO PROVIDE DETAIL REPORTS.
We received a 1099-k IRS report and Appfolio could not provide us with the detail of what made up the report. The reporting they gave us was OFF by almost 5%. We asked for detail.
This is their response:
I promise if we had such a granular report that you are requesting, I would gladly send it over. We simply do not have such a report. Keep in mind we have been adhering to these IRS 1099-K guidelines for years with tens of thousands of clients operating in every state of the country. Not once has this been presented to us as a blocker by any CPA in their ability to execute a tax return or cited as a compliance issue. We can isolate credit card transactions as well as chargebacks for you but the final figure is not going to tie back to the exact dollar of the 1099-K for the previously mentioned reasons in the letter you received.
This is not a minor discrepancy. Over $13,000. Which CLIENT do I credit that income.

• Reviewed on 23/04/2020
Brett W.
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2020

"simple and sweet "

Comments: its a quality software that solves all areas of property management from advertising to web integration for leasing, maintenance, paying rent, turnover, vendors, insurance, etc. nothing is 100% but Appfolio is darn close, you wont be disappointed you can run your entire business from your cell phone! I Do...
whats not to Love...

Pros: cloud based the information quick and its easy to access with in the program our entire staff works with it

Cons: all software has limitations we do not get some of the information we would like out of some reports but that is with all software, the ability to come up to speed with changes and updates, reading is the only way you will find out about them... there in little to no customer support in that area of training no videos or guides....

• Reviewed on 10/03/2020
Dustin W.
Broker / Owner
  • Reviewed on 03/03/2020

"Appfolio and Camelot"

Pros: The functions it offered at the time when we started with it.

Cons: Owners do not receive live data or updates.

• Reviewed on 03/03/2020
Allie S.
Assistant Property Manager
  • Reviewed on 09/03/2020

"AppFolio Review"

Pros: AppFolio has feature to that cover many aspects of managing a property, from applicant screening, to contacting prospects and residents via text and email, to tracking work order and invoices associated with them. Utilizing AppFolio has eliminated the need for many of the other websites and software that we previously used.

Cons: There are small areas that I feel that AppFolio can improve on, but it feels like every time I come across one, they adjust the software or come out with a new feature that addresses my need or concern.

• Reviewed on 09/03/2020
Leigh K.
Community Manager
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2020

"AppFolio Property Manager review"

Comments: Helps me complete my work timely

Pros: Very user friendly especially for someone new to the software

Cons: Sometimes more difficult to find sections needed

• Reviewed on 25/02/2020
Drew S.
Assistant Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 20/12/2019

"Amazing Property Manager for Small-to-Medium Companies"

Comments: The biggest issue my company had was advertising vacancies. We were relying on walk-in tenants, which has not been a good source for 5-10 years. AppFolio is one-click to post to multiple free websites and syncs with Apartments.com if your company goes that route. Ease of use and great training/help files will keep us with them for years to come.

Pros: First and foremost, the value of the product. You get everything you need for cheaper than most of the other products out there. For my company, we transitioned from Buildium to AppFolio and instantly reaped the rewards. AppFolio provided us with an inexpensive company website, a quick and easy tool to post our vacancies to multiple websites, and great assistance during set-up.

Cons: I know some of the more expensive options offer more competitive pricing tools and a little more automation. Also, AppFolio had a few issues (like maintenance personnel not being able to see pictures on work orders using their mobile devices) that took AppFolio a while to start addressing.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Dear Drew, thanks so much for taking the time to leave a review. We're happy that your transition to AppFolio was a good one and that you are already reaping the benefit!

• Reviewed on 20/12/2019
Sarah D.
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2019

"Appfolio makes our business run smoothly!"

Comments: Appfolio adds so much value to the services we provide to our HOA clients. We wouldn't want to do business without it.

Pros: Appfolio is so easy to use, both for us as managers and for homeowners using the portal. Appfolio has spent a great deal of time figuring out which features are the most beneficial and perfecting those features.

Cons: There are a few very minor technical things but I am sure they will get fixed as Appfolio is constantly making improvements.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thanks, Sarah! We're so glad you are finding AppFolio easy to use with your HOA portfolio and look forward to continuing to partner with you!

• Reviewed on 17/12/2019
Jon G.
Realtor - Property Manager
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2019

"Powerful - Easy to Use and Learn"

Comments: AppFolio has been able to streamline and give so much more efficiency for day to day operations that we're able to scale our business at a much more dramatic pace.

Pros: The all encompassing ability to power a website to sophisticated accounting, maintenance controls, tenant/owner communications is all at your fingertips anywhere with a mobile device or computer.

Cons: If you're not a seasoned bookkeeper and you're managing somewhat sophisticated accounting of properties, you can dig yourself a hole real quick.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Hi Jon, thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We know transitions to any new software solution can be tough and we're glad you chose AppFolio to streamline your business!

• Reviewed on 10/12/2019
Cj A.
Accountant
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2019

"Very Nice Property Management Solution"

Comments: I have used Appfolio as a maintenance technician, property manager and now accountant for the whole portfolio and I have had a pretty easy time with it every step of the way. I would recommend to at least give it a try before selecting another software.

Pros: Easy to use for users of all skill and job levels. Makes tracking Receivables and Payables very simple. Constantly being updated and enhanced with new features at no new cost (some do cost but the majority are free updates) Customer support is always quick to help and respond. I feel like I get the same support agent 95% of the time, which makes it feel comfortable and like a working relationship rather than some random customer support person every time.

Cons: Some of the editing and finer tuning options are lacking. (Example: not being able to rearrange line items on a bill or journal entry. You can only delete or add new to the bottom, no editing between without having to manually redo everything from the edit down.)

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thanks, CJ. We appreciate you leaving us a review. We are constantly listening to your feedback to inform our product and we'll be sure to forward your feedback to our Product Team! It's great to hear that you are using AppFolio in all areas of your business.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2019
Doug H.
Owner/Manager
  • Reviewed on 10/10/2019

"From Doug Hancock HALO Manager's Corp 1450 units under management"

Pros: Ease of use, quick search, archived records, online payments, ability to scan files into clients portal, pay bills online. We basically did a 15-20 year upgrade . They said when we bought the software it would be like adding an extra employee to our office and after a years use, I would agree. The data entry alone for our bill payments was a two to three day job with our old software, now just a few hours to pay 300-400 invoices a month.

Cons: The biggest frustration that I have with the software program is during the transition from when a tenant gives notice to move out and getting a new tenant into that same unit. For whatever reason, when a tenant gives notice and we put that information into the system and click the notice prompt and give the date of their move out (usually 30 days). That unit is going to be vacant and we begin to market for a new tenant, however, when we find a new tenant and we want to put the new tenant name and the deposit money into the system under that unit, we are UNABLE to put a pending tenant into the system until there is a complete move out. We need to get that money in the bank and a new pending tenant into our upcoming move ins. Usually the way we have done it is to manipulate the move out dates and then put the charges in later when the real move out occurres They must be a way to put PENDING tenants into to a future vacant unit in an easier way. We love the software, but because we have 30-50 move outs and move ins each month, it is very frustrating that when a tenant gives notice, the program should then allow pending tenant information to be entered to that future vacant unit and right now we can't.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Dear Doug, we appreciate your review. If you are trying to move in a new tenant while there is an existing tenant in the unit, just make sure that the dates do not overlap and you will be able to perform this action!

• Reviewed on 10/10/2019
Jessica R.
Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2019

"Sketchy at first, but FELL IN LOVE!"

Comments: We have really grown to love Appfolio. It just simplifies life in the office and makes our job easier and allows us to be more efficient for our tenants.

Pros: This software can literally do everything. It is a one stop shop. I got rid of 7 different (paid) programs and now have JUST Appfolio- which does the work of all of them.

Cons: There is nothing I dislike about the software except that they are still growing thus the functionality is still growing. I strongly disliked the "car salesman" pitch of the sales team. They promised a lot of things that the software couldn't deliver at first; however, we learned to get around it and in some cases, the functionality was built out (during our first year with them)and that feature is now available.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thanks for the feedback, Jessica. We're glad to hear that you've grown to love AppFolio!

• Reviewed on 19/11/2019
Deana T.
VP

"Reports & Move-outs"

Comments: I love it!! I just have a few request to make it perfect :)

Pros: The ease of applications and lease signing! I also like some parts of the reports.

Cons: The Unit Avail. doesn't show the name of the existing resident or the future one, so I have to transfer it to excel and add that for every property every 2 weeks.
I'm always concerned about notices being put in correct.
I can't print a report to show signed lease renewals by month.

by AppFolio on 05/12/2019

Hi Deana, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We appreciate the feedback and we are constantly striving to delight our customers through software improvements. Please continue to share your feedback with us!

Angela G.
Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 15/11/2019

"AppFolio is Very Good Property Management Software"

Comments: Overall I am happy with AppFolio and like that I can keep necessary information in one place. I also know it is helping us keep our accounting more accurate and although the process can be difficult, I know it's a good thing. I am encouraged that their customer service has improved a lot and I'm hopeful it continues. I feel like I matter as a customer and that's important. Now that we have been using this software daily for 2+ years I don't know how we'd live without it or something similar.

Pros: As a property management company, it keeps everything in one place. I'm able to track and store almost all necessary information. I also like that AppFolio continually works on improving their software, regularly implementing new helpful features.

Cons: In the beginning, the customer service went downhill really fast, such as sometimes taking a week to get back to me and then having someone that didn't know what they were doing or how to fix our problem. I was very unhappy and thinking we had made a mistake in purchasing, but I can tell in the last year especially they have really worked on improving their customer service with quicker turnaround and better-trained staff helping. I almost always have a positive experience now. There are still some features that we really need for rental management that I'm hopeful are added soon.

by AppFolio on 05/12/2019

Thanks for the review, Angela! We are committed to providing you with the support needed to run your business. Please don't hesitate to reach out!

Denise D.
CFO
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2019

"Always evolving"

Comments: We have been with Appfolio for 9 years - and during that time there has been significant improvements in the system. Our company is a heavy user and utilize as much of the functionality of the system that we can - and as such we are frequently asked to provide feedback to the development team when they are considering options. We are committed to our relationship with Appfolio, however, due to API restrictions, if we have much more growth we may need to consider alternative solutions.

Pros: The software is intuitive, user friendly and a stable platform. They a continually developing additional functionality and release updates regularly. The customer forum is great - you can collaborate with other users, seek our solutions and make recommendations that development will consider for future releases.

Cons: It does not have an open API and they are unwilling to consider this for clients. While they are routinely pushing out enhancements and are developing additional functionality, and they say the functionality is based on client feedback - it seems like development resources are not focused on this things that clients really 'need'.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thanks for partnering with us over the last 9 years. Denise! We look forward to partnering for the years to come!

• Reviewed on 06/11/2019
Vanessa H.
  • Reviewed on 30/10/2019

"Promas to Appfolio - The Great Journey"

Comments: As I said, onboarding was difficult. That was mainly due to how our dated was stored on our end and turnover we experienced during the transition. The service is amazing, and I can't imagine not having Appfolio.

Pros: Switching from Promas to Appfolio would be like switching from mailing a letter to emailing a letter. The service is faster, more reliable, easier to do, takes less time, is more efficient. My list could go on and on. The main features that caught our eye were the ability to accept rent payments online for seamless accounts receivable from tenants, and online maintenance requests. For so long, we would take maintenance requests by phone or email. It was unreliable at best. Having this online feature gives us a smooth workflow from work order submission to mailing a check for work completed. Truly, Appfolio has saved our office countless hours! Oh and the customer service is awesome! I love how quickly we get responses with actual answers to our questions that solve our problems!

Cons: The onboarding was very tedious. Our Promas software was housed on an internal server at our office. That is the primary reason our transition was not that smooth to start off. Overall, we don't have many complaints. Of course, we all want cheaper software, but you get what you pay for. There are a few tweaks we have requested that Appfolio has implemented, and they continuously have updates and new features. It's really exciting! I do wish our owners could see live feed of their account balances in their portal and run their own reports as they wish.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thanks for the review. We know the transition to any new software can be tough and we're happy that you found our service to be helpful during that transition.

• Reviewed on 30/10/2019
Vivian M.
Operation Manager
  • Reviewed on 15/10/2019

"They know property management!"

Comments: This program allows us to do more work without having to add more personnel which helps the bottom line for sure.

Pros: It was very easy to set up the implementation team was very helpful. The user friendliness of using it every day is the best with it super search feature.

Cons: There are a few work arounds that we have to do for our maintenance team but we know with the new features they keep adding all the time it will only be time before they will make an improvement that will help with this work around like all the other ones that we used to have to do.

• Reviewed on 15/10/2019
Cassandra H.
Principal
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2019

"Good choice"

Comments: I'm quite happy, overall. Integrations is my biggest challenge and what would drive me to leave, if I were to predict a reason. I'm having no issue working around it, but I'm about creating efficiencies which I feel like I am restricted from doing. So far it's been something I'm willing to work around since we're small and they have so many other great things about them.

Pros: We were on a somewhat antiquated system, so improvement was easy to recognize. AppFolio does a lot of things well. It improved connection with residents AND our ability to have better records both for tenants and for staff (liability support/reduction), and much easier for staff to know what is happening across the board with any one resident or prospect. We are still learning! The transition was fast and friendly. Loved their tenant liability option.

Cons: 1) OnBoarding was very tech-oriented and a challenge to adapt easily because staff is working on a calendar. I have some a-ha moments that i just couldn't get the OnBoarding team to understand (even though they were very capable folks) because in this tech world, it's either a or b, there is no c option. Well, later I'm finding the c option IS available.
2) They make frequent updates, and communicate them well. The challenge is working them into your schedule to understand so you can stay on top of them because your team will do the same---someone needs to know them.
3) Other updates seem to be in holding status for way too long, when they'd help users so much.
4) Our biggest complaint is AppFolio's unwillingness to work with other software integrations. They really cripple my ability by being so protective of.....whatever it is. Most other softwares integrate fine. They do so much so well, I feel like it's time to stop being so proprietary. That would change any element of dissatisfaction that I encounter. It appears so flexible, but it's not. The larger companies don't all want their screening or leases....so I still am running other programs which is a pain. Their system doesn't work for me (having a one stop shop for 'everyone' isn't realistic) in all areas as it seemed to in the beginning. So modify your expectations. I would have still purchased, but been happier with where i landed.

• Reviewed on 09/10/2019
Pamela M.
Owner/Qualfying Broker
  • Reviewed on 04/10/2019

"Switched from LiveRez to Appfolio"

Pros: The accounting is thorough and generally easy to use. Originally, 5 years ago, some of the ways they did things was different but over the years, things have been much easier & user friendly. I used another accounting property management software & it was a nightmare integrating with QuickBooks. Half the time it wouldn't migrate right. This has made my accounting & booking much simpler, easier & faster. The end of the month accounting to owners takes me less than half the time it used to. Very happy overall

Cons: The fact you can edit the website ourselves. I've used other property management software (LiveRez) and you can update pictures, website page wording and descriptions directly. AppFolio requires you to submit to their team and it take a few days to get done. In this day & age, that should be something we can do ourselves as we need to. Plus updating pages allows for search engines to rank us better.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thanks, Pamela. It's great to hear you are finding the accounting side of AppFolio easy to use!

• Reviewed on 04/10/2019
Chelsea S.
COO
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2019

" AppFolio Property Manager review"

Pros: cloud based
master search function
often see new feature upgrades + introductions

Cons: Does not partner with other valuable services we use (compliance: site compli, external legal counsel, security deposit alternative products). Does not lend itself well to using external brokers for leasing purposes. Would like for EXTERNAL brokers to submit applications to us via the platform.
Does not have a good case management system for individual projects and/or legal cases. Does not lend itself to very necessary compliance efforts. We require tenants to submit certain types of documentation to us on a yearly basis.

Kendell A.
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2019

"Our experience with Appfolio"

Comments: We used to have to make lots of phone calls and texts with people that want to see our vacancies. Now they can schedule viewings on our web site. We used to have applicants fill out paper applications. Then we would type in much of the information in the credit reporting software so we could run credit reports. Now, applicants complete an online application and we click a button to run the credit and background reports. Once we approve the applicant, we click a button to move them over as the tenants of the unit. It automatically emails and text's them a link to their own tenant portal where they can pay rent online and make maintenance requests online. Appfolio is like having one or two employees that don't need to use the restroom, take breaks or that you have to have workers comp insurance on or pay employment taxes for, etc. It truly is a great solution for property managers.

Pros: I love how easy it is to advertise our vacancies. Then the interested parties can schedule viewings and apply for the property right from our web site. Once we select a tenant, we can transfer all of their information from their application over to make them our active tenant with the click of a button. I love how easy it is for tenants to pay their rent online or at pay stations and it goes directly into our bank account and calculates the management fees.

Cons: The reports could be a little better. On multiple units, the reports don't break down the expenses by unit number very well. So, the owners aren't able to tell on their reports what a management fee charge was for because the charge isn't broken down by unit number. As a result, we get calls from upset owners and our accounting department has to create reports outside of the software to make sure the owners are satisfied. This takes extra time when the software could easily break down these expenses if it was programmed to do so. Our accounting department said that the bookkeeping side of the software could be better.

by AppFolio on 30/12/2019

Thank you for your review, Kendall! We appreciate the feedback.