They know property management!

Reviewed on 15/10/2019
Vivian M.
Operation Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This program allows us to do more work without having to add more personnel which helps the bottom line for sure.

Pros: It was very easy to set up the implementation team was very helpful. The user friendliness of using it every day is the best with it super search feature.

Cons: There are a few work arounds that we have to do for our maintenance team but we know with the new features they keep adding all the time it will only be time before they will make an improvement that will help with this work around like all the other ones that we used to have to do.

Good choice

Reviewed on 09/10/2019
Cassandra H.
Principal
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I'm quite happy, overall. Integrations is my biggest challenge and what would drive me to leave, if I were to predict a reason. I'm having no issue working around it, but I'm about creating efficiencies which I feel like I am restricted from doing. So far it's been something I'm willing to work around since we're small and they have so many other great things about them.

Pros: We were on a somewhat antiquated system, so improvement was easy to recognize. AppFolio does a lot of things well. It improved connection with residents AND our ability to have better records both for tenants and for staff (liability support/reduction), and much easier for staff to know what is happening across the board with any one resident or prospect. We are still learning! The transition was fast and friendly. Loved their tenant liability option.

Cons: 1) OnBoarding was very tech-oriented and a challenge to adapt easily because staff is working on a calendar. I have some a-ha moments that i just couldn't get the OnBoarding team to understand (even though they were very capable folks) because in this tech world, it's either a or b, there is no c option. Well, later I'm finding the c option IS available.
2) They make frequent updates, and communicate them well. The challenge is working them into your schedule to understand so you can stay on top of them because your team will do the same---someone needs to know them.
3) Other updates seem to be in holding status for way too long, when they'd help users so much.
4) Our biggest complaint is AppFolio's unwillingness to work with other software integrations. They really cripple my ability by being so protective of.....whatever it is. Most other softwares integrate fine. They do so much so well, I feel like it's time to stop being so proprietary. That would change any element of dissatisfaction that I encounter. It appears so flexible, but it's not. The larger companies don't all want their screening or leases....so I still am running other programs which is a pain. Their system doesn't work for me (having a one stop shop for 'everyone' isn't realistic) in all areas as it seemed to in the beginning. So modify your expectations. I would have still purchased, but been happier with where i landed.

Switched from LiveRez to Appfolio

Reviewed on 04/10/2019
Pamela M.
Owner/Qualfying Broker
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: The accounting is thorough and generally easy to use. Originally, 5 years ago, some of the ways they did things was different but over the years, things have been much easier & user friendly. I used another accounting property management software & it was a nightmare integrating with QuickBooks. Half the time it wouldn't migrate right. This has made my accounting & booking much simpler, easier & faster. The end of the month accounting to owners takes me less than half the time it used to. Very happy overall

Cons: The fact you can edit the website ourselves. I've used other property management software (LiveRez) and you can update pictures, website page wording and descriptions directly. AppFolio requires you to submit to their team and it take a few days to get done. In this day & age, that should be something we can do ourselves as we need to. Plus updating pages allows for search engines to rank us better.

#1 single-family residential PM software

Reviewed on 03/10/2019
Joe P.
Executive Vice-President
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our experience with Appfolio has been great! It has created efficiencies within our single-family division that didn’t exist previously. I’m optimistic that over time they will develop more features that will allow us to be even more efficient.

Pros: It’s robust yet easy to use, dependable, constantly evolving, their developers listen to their customer’s needs and if possible delivers, issues are handled quickly by their web based customer service team, and it’s affordable.

Cons: The layout of the property financial statements are subpar and difficult for our clients to understand; its not the best software choice to manage commercial or multi-family properties; it’s lack of customization

AppFolio Property Manager review

Chelsea S.
COO
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: cloud based
master search function
often see new feature upgrades + introductions

Cons: Does not partner with other valuable services we use (compliance: site compli, external legal counsel, security deposit alternative products). Does not lend itself well to using external brokers for leasing purposes. Would like for EXTERNAL brokers to submit applications to us via the platform.
Does not have a good case management system for individual projects and/or legal cases. Does not lend itself to very necessary compliance efforts. We require tenants to submit certain types of documentation to us on a yearly basis.

Our experience with Appfolio

Kendell A.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We used to have to make lots of phone calls and texts with people that want to see our vacancies. Now they can schedule viewings on our web site. We used to have applicants fill out paper applications. Then we would type in much of the information in the credit reporting software so we could run credit reports. Now, applicants complete an online application and we click a button to run the credit and background reports. Once we approve the applicant, we click a button to move them over as the tenants of the unit. It automatically emails and text's them a link to their own tenant portal where they can pay rent online and make maintenance requests online. Appfolio is like having one or two employees that don't need to use the restroom, take breaks or that you have to have workers comp insurance on or pay employment taxes for, etc. It truly is a great solution for property managers.

Pros: I love how easy it is to advertise our vacancies. Then the interested parties can schedule viewings and apply for the property right from our web site. Once we select a tenant, we can transfer all of their information from their application over to make them our active tenant with the click of a button. I love how easy it is for tenants to pay their rent online or at pay stations and it goes directly into our bank account and calculates the management fees.

Cons: The reports could be a little better. On multiple units, the reports don't break down the expenses by unit number very well. So, the owners aren't able to tell on their reports what a management fee charge was for because the charge isn't broken down by unit number. As a result, we get calls from upset owners and our accounting department has to create reports outside of the software to make sure the owners are satisfied. This takes extra time when the software could easily break down these expenses if it was programmed to do so. Our accounting department said that the bookkeeping side of the software could be better.

Great product overall! Highly recommend!

Janee M.
Director of Property Management
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, I am very satisfied with AppFolio Property Manager. We run a tight organization and I attribute much to this software.

Pros: This software keeps me organized and on top of managing a large inventory of properties and clients.
-It has a strong financial reporting side that encompasses everything necessary to operate and deliver to owners as well as tenants.
-We receive great feedback from the tenants as this software provides a very seamless experience from application process all the way through move outs.
-User friendly, easy to navigate.
-Reports to Experian credit bureau and now RentBureau.
-I also love that on the property page, tenant page, owner page we can add activity reminders.
-The options of reports are great and the customization of them are endless.
-Owners, tenants, vendors all have portals to work in giving them access to their information/accounts.
-AppFolio is always working to improve features and add new services that could benefit property management companies.
-Newer feature is an app for tenants to use to pay online and schedule maintenance. Love it!
Many pros. You won't be disappointed.

Cons: Overall, I don't have many cons and really had to think up what our biggest frustrations are with the software. Not bad if this is all I could come up with. We work around it because overall we are very satisfied with the product.
-Small improvements that need to be made based on user experiences are seemingly overlooked as not important. Example, you can now email tenants/owners from their page. If the email does not go through there is no notification so we are unaware that tenants/owners did not receive our communication. So for now, I do not use that feature if it is something I need to be certain is received by other party.
-There is also a sensitivity with the new showings feature that if a booked party does not reply exactly with CONFIRM, then the booking will automatically cancel. It creates many headaches daily. Cannot reply with YES, CONFIRMED, OK, I'LL BE THERE, etc.
-Owners would like real time details in their owner portal, not just past monthly reports to review.
All of these items have been suggested to AppFolio to review for tweaking by many users.

Functionality of Appfolio

Reviewed on 19/09/2019
David B.
Principal Broker
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall I am satisfied with our decision to migrate to Appfolio. It has allowed us to expand our business with our current staff and save time in the process.

Pros: The overall flow of the system from application, to move-in, to month to month operations is very complete.
Rent receiving and recording is payments to the landlord are much quicker than our previous ledger system. This has taken the money handling out of the hands of the leasing agents and placed checks and balances on who and how the funds are moved or paid. All correspondance can be tracked via emails and texts between tenant and agent. Very easy to follow a discussion after the fact and see where and how things get changed in the conversation.

Cons: The software lacks the overall ability to work with commercial properties. We have adapted to the use but very rudimentary. Also the financial system has some holes with regards to how funds are received between security funds and operating funds. This causes properties to get out of balance between these two accounts. I have had several out of balance conditions recently and while the support desk is quick to guide me through it the whole process of tracking down the out of balance is too time consuming.

Appfolio & Me

Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Lyman F.
Realtor / Property Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I love it! I found the Appfolio program did save me time with all parts of property management duties I have.

Pros: Once I learned the program, Appfolio made the job easier. The owner statements were easy for my owners to understand. Love the ability to upload copy of invoices to owner statements, so they could see my deductions if there were any on the given month. This saved me time from answering calls from owners that had questions about the owner statement. The online features made it easy for Owners & Tenants to see everything related to their property.

Cons: Being a very small company it was a little more expensive than other programs out there. The learning curve was a bit tuff, but Help was always there to assist me if needed.

Best investment our firm has ever made

Reviewed on 07/09/2019
Jason H.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Incredible software, customer service and company. The gold standard.

Pros: Ease of use and efficiency. Appfolio has automated and connected what were once manual processes into a sophisticated and professional cloud based solution that represents our company with Tenants, Property Owners and Employees exceptionally well. The intuitiveness is remarkable and our time savings are significant. Amazing product, service and company.

Cons: Portfolio analysis. Maturing company and service but enhancements come fast.

AppFolio is terrific and continues to get better

Reviewed on 30/08/2019
Herb F.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall, providing the initial data from our old system for the setup was easy, of course you need to provide accurate data. Everything went well and whether i provided PDF's or Excel files, the only real errors were made on data we provided. It was easy enough to correct. We are thrilled with AppFolio since making the switch in November 2018.

Pros: Easy to use web based software, includes apps for management and homeowner/tenant. AppFolio continues to make improvements and they appear, never an update on our end needed, love that since it is web based. Set up a vendor once to use across all condominium associations the vendor provides services for, good work order system and improvements made based on user feedback.

Cons: I would like the ability to modify the user level access myself, but that isn't a real problem, just a nicety. There needs to be the ability to create folders or directories to upload the condominium documents so they can be categorized, otherwise an owner needs to look through a significant amount of files. I understand that is in the works though.

Best Software EVER!

Reviewed on 27/08/2019
Mary L.
Admin. Assistant
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: From the beginning it was easy to migrate our data, and we never looked back. It is so awesome for our boss to be out in the field, call us to ask a question - then say never mind "It is all right here on AppFolio" on his phone or tablet. Easy to find just what you are looking for and the Support/Help system is the best I have ever experienced in a software. On line CHAT is a lifesaver.

Pros: User friendly & intuitive. The app and online log in for tenants and owners is a game changer. The vendors and work order flow is excellent. Accounting is similar to quickbooks, everyone get it. Unlimited support (for FREE - who offers that?), an excellent online help "System" There are videos, online articles, training you attend live online and/or watch at any time on specific topics. There is a user community for help too. What other software allows you to "Vote" on things you want your software to do - and the programmers work on the request with the most votes. Amazing!! Thank you AppFolio

Cons: That I had to suffer through YARDI for so long before I found AppFolio and we switched.

Thank you for making our lives easier!

Reviewed on 08/08/2019
Krystal T.
New Account Specialist
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Fantastic! I have been impressed with the way that they have continued to grow the effectiveness of the product over the years. Since we started with AF they have added texting and emailing tenants, showing scheduling, leases, merging applicant information, etc etc etc. I honestly can not even think of all the resources they have added off the top of my head, I know there are more. I love being able to be part of the process by providing suggestions and reviews for new functions and features.

Pros: Appfolio has really been a fantastic tool for our Property Management firm. It is highly functional for both accounting and property managers. All information and attachments are also available on one's smartphone through the Appfolio App. Anytime I have any questions, I get help from Appfolio's support team in a timely manner. The search bar is an invaluable resource - being able to look up a tenant, owner, or vendor's information by name, email, address, etc is very helpful. The Owner and Tenant statements are easy to review internally, and easy for the recipient to read and understand. I have utilized other accounting software in the past, and no other platform can come even close to comparing to the functionality of Appfolio. Keep up the good work!

Cons: That I can not set up one owner with separate bank accounts for each of their properties. It is the only think about Appfolio that drives me nuts!

Appfolio Saved Our Office

Reviewed on 30/07/2019
Julie L.
Broker/Property Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: We have been able to increase our accounts without too much work overload due to the functionality of adding new properties/owners and the streamlined nature of the entire program. We could not have done it without Appfolio! Our implementation was extremely organized, and they kept us on track to make sure all deadlines were met to launch at our goal date.
We've now been using Appfolio for 18 months and I have not had one major issue with functionality, customer service or anything else. I honestly could not be happier and feel I'm getting the best value and peace of mind all at once!

Pros: What I like the most about Appfolio..... that I can come into work daily and not stress about overall functionality of software. I know it's going to do what it needs to do, and if it doesn't, customer service will help me sort things out!

Cons: I cannot speak to this. I used a different program before Appfolio that was nothing short of a nightmare, so I am grateful for every bit of Appfolio from it's ease of use to it's nice, friendly design.

Best Property Manager Software I've used in over 22years!

Reviewed on 30/07/2019
Sheryl M.
Resident Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I have had nothing but a great experience with AppFolio. I love the fact that it does everything and that it gets better every single week. I love the functionality of it, that you can send text messages to your residents and get immediate responses back probably 90% of the time, I love the fact that it auto populates all you forms for you. I love that most tenants pay rent online so there are hardly any checks to deposit each month. we can send group messages to an entire unit at the same time either via email or text message. I have never felt lost and there is nothing that I cant figure out how to do on my own. The help section is amazing and there is also a forum where you can also get help from other users. I am so glad my company started using AppFolio. There is so much more that I could tell you about that AppFolio does, be glad there is a limit on how much information I can give you!! It is really great software hands down.

Pros: I love AppFolio, it does everything all together in one place, no need to have multiple programs because AppFolio has everything you need to be organized and professional. You can basically go paperless using this software. It is very easy to learn, there is self help that walks you through things if you forget or need to learn how to do something. They are always adding new things and making AppFolio better. Our company is actually one of there testers so we get the new updates to try before they are even released. AppFolio takes you through the leasing process from start to finish and takes care of everything in between. Your company can upload all the forms you could possibly need as templates (applications, leases, notices, letters, renewals, terminations and you can also make your own letters to add as templates.) All forms auto populate and give you the ability to edit as needed to fit the tenant(s) you are sending to. Everything between you and the tenant can be completed online such as applications, leases, changes in terms, addendums, lease assumptions and more. Tenants and managers are able to sign forms digitally which is great. When everyone has completed signing it automatically send a copy of the signed document to each resident and the property manager. Rent can be paid online, maintenance requests are done online. Keeps all your records in one place. I have never used a better software product and I have been in this business for 22+ years.

Cons: This is a hard one because AppFolio since it started has listened to its users and just about everything we've asked for to make our jobs more efficient and easier they have made happen. There is literally one thing that comes to mind that I wish was different. When you print something from AppFolio you click to print to PDF then it opens a PDF copy of what you are trying to print, then on the PDF you go to file, print, then your printer opens up and you hit print again. to me its a lot of steps just to print something. But if you look at all the pros in this software having to click 4 times to print something is really nothing! (me being lazy or in a hurry) Who knows, one of these days I might come to work and they'll have changed it and it will print with one click!

Great product and really terrible support

Reviewed on 18/07/2019
Yan S.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: It is a tough call because the product is good. We migrated from Yardi and don't regret it BUT if I knew how weak the support team and the nightmare that we would have (for 7 months we couldn't reconcile bank accounts and the "boarding team" simply vanished) I would most likely have stayed with Yardi.

Pros: The software is definetly the right product. It is intuitive and very easy to use. Having used Yardi for 10+ years this product is simply outstanding. It is definitely not even close to what you can do in Yardi, but for 90% of what most of us do, it is allot easier and quicker then Yardi.

Cons: The company is suffering from a very bad support team. When they sell you the product it almost seems that these guys mastered the art of eSupport and you can solve problems with a click. This couldn't further from the truth. For most of the "how to" problems they are quick to respond and usually send you a quick article on how to. The problem becomes when you have a real problem, like late fees simply not posting the correct amounts at the wrong dates, or bank account balances don't add up...in general bigger problems call for a "we will put our head in the sand and hope it goes away" mentality.

Always evolving to keep up with or ahead of the customer!

Reviewed on 10/07/2019
Pamela C.
Property Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Loved it then, loving it even more now, hope to never stop using it.

Pros: Most people don't like change, need change and can't get it or can't get it quick enough. Appfolio is so user friendly, allows you to train yourself, reach out for support when needed or allows you to interact with other users in a forum. They say it takes a village sometimes and Appfolio has created that village atmosphere. You have options and so many paths to take but without the feeling of getting totally lost to get to where you need it's almost adventure time every time I log on. I love all the updates for things I didn't even know I needed until they put it out there. They don't just change things and hope you catch on, they notify you of all the updates with an explanation and guide in advance. I've seen them put changes into action that other users have asked for and voted on (yes that's a thing, got to love democracy and what software platform allows it's clients to even have a say on a daily basis? Appfolio does.) If anyone in the relationship is doing wrong by the other it would be our office for not using all that Appfolio has to it's fullest extent. Thank you for allowing us to thrive now and strive towards the ever evolving future of Property Management.

Cons: There have been a few work arounds or new features we didn't quite get it to work the way we wanted but most of it is personal pickiness or just not having the time to train and find a way to make it work. The inspections I know are being updated and getting there but really hoping to be able to do inspections onsite, pictures, notes, having tenants sign electronically off on move in and out condition notes as well as sending them copies at completion as we've seen with some other apps and software programs outside of Appfolio.

A "looking forward" Solution

Reviewed on 28/05/2019
Bill H.
Commercial Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: This software has made our lives easier, and more productive. I have been able to send funds to a client who needed them desperately from the deck of a cruise ship. We are all very happy with our choice of AppFolio.

Pros: We have been using AppFolio for five years now. In that time, the features and adaptability of the software have increased significantly. When adopted the software, it really wasn't really geared toward commercial properties or owners associations. Since that time, they have really made it a great solution for us in those segments of the property management profession. They listen. They make changes/additions to the features based on feedback from the users. They can't satisfy every individual firm's specific method of handling an issue, but they really pay attention to providing a feature for the vast majority of users. One amazing feature they added was at a customer conference. At the beginning of the conference, they took a poll of what one feature would the users like. The overwhelming majority selected a calendaring feature. The initial roll out of that feature was released by the end of the two day conference. Since then, the calendar feature has become very robust and a great management tool. Back-up issues are no longer a worry.

Cons: Nothing so far. Another Pro: Another example occurred shortly after the first conference I attended. I was sitting at one of the outstanding mixers. A gentleman sat down next to me, said that he was with AppFolio. He asked if I had any suggestions as a new user. I said that as a data entry convenience (I'm an old programmer from the '60s), I was all about reducing keystrokes. I mentioned that it would be nice if you were in a date field that you could change the date by tapping the + or - keys. Turns out that he is one of the leaders of the firm, and the feature was activated in most date fields by the end of the week.

by AppFolio on 02/07/2019

Thank you so much for leaving a review, Bill and for continuing to partner with AppFolio. We look forward to continuing to work together!

AppFolio - a well-rounded leasing and accounting software

Reviewed on 22/05/2019
Laura P.
Accounting Director
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Our property management company decided to use AppFolio when we brought all of our bookkeeping in house, taking it from a 3rd party bookkeeping company. At first, we were just looking for bookkeeping software, and AppFolio fit the bill in a reasonably priced package. We soon came to realize how many more features there were with AppFolio, at no additional cost, and how we can streamline much of our leasing process to save time and eliminate typos and duplication of effort. And we came to find out how AppFolio listens to its user and improves its product - "What's New" item pop up weekly or more often! We've made several suggestions ourselves, and now they're part of AppFolio functionality! We consider AppFolio our partner in helping us serve our investors and our tenants.

Pros: There are several things that I like about this software. I think the top of my list is that there is so much functionality related to apartment leasing/management that is all integrated - basic general ledger accounting, tenant accounts receivable, screening applicants, online leasing, attachment of invoices, statements, agreements, etc to appropriate pages in AppFolio, vendor payments, owner payments, 1099's, financial reporting, etc, and on top of that, it's an online platform available from any computer or mobile device, live and up-to-date for all users.

Cons: Currently my biggest frustration is RUBS for utilities. The feature is set up in such a manner that we are unable to use it because it allocates costs to anything considered a "unit" which for us includes non-residents who lease a parking space. I have made sure that top management and the development team at AppFolio are aware of this flaw in the functionality of this feature, so I'm hopeful there will be a resolution.

by AppFolio on 23/05/2019

Thanks, Laura! It's great to hear that you are using so many aspects of your software and thank you for your feedback regarding our utility billing feature. We are constantly making updates based on customer feedback and appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

My Opinion of the Pros and Cons of Appfolio

Reviewed on 09/04/2019
Sherrie w/ professional M.
Accounting Supervisor
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: For the most part I am very happy with Appfolio. We still are not using it to it's fullest potential. It seems that I have always had people that I train that are resistant to change. So I have to slowly change things that seem little changes at the time so that they don't realize it and are more willing participants.

Pros: I do accounts payable, plus deal with Owners and basically put out little fires that arise. Since using Appfolio I have reduced my work load or should I say the time that is necessary to do my job. By being able to do ACH's and emailing and texting. End of month statements was reduced down to a few hours from 2 days. The world we live in now does a lot of texting and emailing and that is always nice to be able to do when you are slammed. More than 50% of my Owners are retired or semi retired and are older so I find that it is important to have that conversation with them over the phone for that personal relationship that they like. I am friends with a lot of my Owners even though I have never laid eyes on them. So we need to balance things for good PR.

Cons: I don't have many, and I am at a loss right now to specifically point any particular problem. It is those times when you run into a situation that you rarely do and have problem figuring it out. The instructions are not real clear. As example off the top of my head. I have a problem right now with my Diagnostic under the Non-Zero Security Clearing Account Balances. I think that I have done it correctly after following the instructions and then I find my diagnostic with a problem that I will need help from Appfolio with. Right now I haven't had the time to contact Appfolio to help me due to my own personal issues, medical, vacation etc.

Small PM Company 20 Month Review

Reviewed on 09/04/2019
Paris S.
CEO/President
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: *Convenient user access on computer & phone.
*User friendly & comprehensive for property management operations
*Good visuals, nice looking documents & communication to customers.
*Love how you launch improvements ongoing & post "What's New"
*Sending work order links to vendors, how they can see all their w/o to stay better organized
*Paying vendors via direct deposit.
*Sharing documents to tenant & owner portals. No more mailing.
*Helps organize functions

Cons: *Expensive.
*Very complicated to manage the accounting portion. There are many hidden, connected functions, that fixing one, often doesn't fix all or messes something else up.
*Move-outs are exceptionally difficult if you have to meet a short time line & have to break the tenant refunds into 2 payments. In WA state, water/sewer companies don't put account in tenant names or read meters in between, so we have to wait up to 60 days to get final bill. We want to hold out deposit funds for that & then refund the tenant any overcharged amount.
*Customer service is friendly & knowledgeable, but have to wait for returned contact & about 25% of the time offers solutions doesn't fix all aspects or messes up something else.
Big Issue: A HUGE number of brokerages are hiring outside Appfolio experts to help manage & solve their problems, instead of relying on Appfolio customer service. A HUGE number. There is something wrong with that.

by AppFolio on 20/06/2019

Hi Paris, thanks for the feedback. We know that the implementation of any new software can be an adjustment, so we've created our Help Center full of articles, community forums and other how-to training resources that will help you to master all of the capabilities within AppFolio Property Manager. We hope that as you continue to learn and grow with AppFolio that you will have a more positive experience moving forward!

Appfolio Review

Reviewed on 26/02/2019
Melissa B.
Secretary
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Pros: Appfolio gives us as a rental company the ability to easy sort, organize, and access information on our tenants, owners, and vendors. I love that Appfolio has helped us move to doing business online. It's so convenient for us to send out a lease and have it signed electronically and saves time for us and our tenants. They don't have to take off work to come to our office to do so. Online payments have similar benefits. Most of our tenants pay online and it's so nice that we don't have to record each of those payments; they're automatically applied to the tenant's account. Another feature that we use a lot is the credit and background checks. It's conveniently built into the application and helps us screen applicants efficiently. I like that Appfolio offers texting and emailing. It makes it easy to see what was communicated and it's all on the tenant's page and I don't have to pull up multiple windows for that. The newly-developed tenant insurance coverage feature allows me to track who has coverage and who doesn't, and to email them notifications if their insurance has expired. It also shows which policies expire in 30 days, which is great for reminding people before their policy expires so they have continuous coverage. I appreciate how AppFolio continues to improve their product and develop new features. They allow users to make suggestions and comment on suggestions as well.

Cons: I wish that the texting line could receive pictures. This would make the application process easier; people could take pictures of documents they didn't include in the application and send it to us. While most people can take pictures and send them by email, I think it would help especially our older tenants and others who don't have email on their phones or don't have a smartphone or just aren't as technologically literate. People would also be able to send us pictures of their insurance docs and maintenance issues. It would also be nice to be able to search for guest cards (interested parties) in the main search bar. Currently I need to search on the guest cards page and the person doesn't show up if it's been over a year from their last inquiry.

by AppFolio on 12/03/2019

Dear Melissa, thank you for your review. We have launched a new tenant application that allows tenants to submit their maintenance requests directly from their phone and upload photos from their camera roll. Thanks for your suggestion about texting photos, we'll be sure to pass this along to our product team!

Chatel Real Estate

Reviewed on 08/02/2019
Sarah K.
Operations Manager
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: Overall I'm very pleased and excited every time something new rules out. I'm the operations manager for one of Chatel's locations and I'm constantly playing with the new features to see if they will be useful for my company. This software is super easy to use, it cuts down on labor-intensive data management and archiving information. Plus the fact that it allows a property manager to be mobile. There is nothing sweeter than being at a board meeting or a condo meeting and saying hey I can pull that information up on my phone. :)

Pros: I love that things are so well integrated. I have been with Chatel Real Estate for 7 years and we have been using Appfolio for the last 6 years. I appreciate all of the new features that you roll out and I'm super excited every time I see that little bubble at the top of my screen meaning something new has been added. Also, it's super nice that it's easy to use on the phone, I don't like the App. I only use it through my cell phones web browser but it works perfectly and I can get a ton of stuff done while visiting a building. I love that its a one stop shop for property management needs. I like being able to communicate with an entire building and record that information on unit owner pages. The key system is fantastic! We just started using it recently, and it has saved us so much time in addition to providing us with accurate records.

Cons: Prepayments on unit owner ledgers do not automatically apply to the next owners charge automatically. This makes the aged receivable detail look off which is annoying and clients complain about it. It's not a huge deal and its something we easily fix. I also wish the homeowner directory report had columns to add their tenant's information into it, instead of having to pull a renter directory and then an owner directory. Clients want just one spreadsheet not two! I wish you accepted AMEX for payments, I get a fair amount of compliants about it.

by AppFolio on 12/03/2019

HI Sarah,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your feedback and thanks for being our longtime partner! We have updated the app to have the same, full functionality that the browser has. We'd encourage you to download it from the app store so you can continue to easily pull up information on your phone in any meeting!

Good product, improvements slow to take

Reviewed on 14/12/2018
Jeff B.
Senior Accountant
Commercial Real Estate, 51-200 Employees
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: While the community conversations for improvements to the software is great, it's tough to know that any software engineer is listening. It seems like it would be very easy for move-outs to automatically prorate rent (where is it legal to collect full rent for a mid-month move-out?!?!?!) IF I could just talk to an engineer. It seems like it would be very easy to ask for an actual button for prorated rent rather than something that is a link everywhere on the internet. These simple things should not get lost in the community.

Pros: This is a great product for property managers and tenants. The leases are easy to issue and easy to sign. The tenants have a great portal. Customer service is mostly great- sometimes I want a quicker response, but the reps are great. It is easy to find information and easy to adjust information.

Cons: It is too easy to adjust information in some places and there are confusing breaks in logic for inputs from one section to the next. For example, the recurring charges section of the move-in process is identical to the monthly charges section of the tenant page, except that there is no option to have an end date. Move-in charges from the move-in process do not show up on the itemized rent roll. When asked about why this is, the customer service agent said that people don't want security deposits on the itemized rent roll. The answer to this is, like any other charge in the system, to hide the security deposit charges columns on the itemized rent roll. There is no need to restrict the information on a report when a report is customizable. We offer one-time concessions and, in order to get them on the rent roll, we have to use the recurring charges section. This, of course, allows for human error in having one-time concessions go on for the entire term of the lease.

by Torri on 07/02/2019

Dear Jeff, thank you for taking the time to post this review. We appreciate the feedback and we have made sure that it has reached our product development team. You do have the ability to prorate the last month's rent for residents and we'll follow up with instructions for this task. We read through every piece of feedback posted to our product boards and we take the feedback seriously. Thanks for being our partner.

Top 5 Things Tenants Don't Want You to Know About Using Appfolio and Why It Costs You.

Reviewed on 25/09/2018
Dean M.
Not Likely Extremely Likely

Comments: I wouldn't manage property without it.

Pros: 1. When Money is collected electronically you never have to think about who's paid and who hasn't.
- Even with a handful of units, it's time consuming to collect checks and deposit them on a regular basis. This causes sloppy book keeping and helps tenants get away with not paying timely.
2. When a computer keeps track of payments late fees are always charged.
- late fees get charged automatically. This trains tenants to pay automatically. No more not paying late fees. " It's already charged and it's part of your lease ".
3. When communicating with tenants electronically, there's a record of the conversation.
- " I didn't say it was my fault ". This is no longer an argument. Every text, email, and even notes from phone conversations are stored in the tenant profile.
4.Utility billing can become a profit center instead of a nightmare.
- When incorporating RUBS or just paying for the water bill, when done with the correct process, unpaid utilities can legally incur late fees which makes tenants pay them instead of sticking the owner with them at the end of the lease.
5. It's much easier to protect a property through liability insurance.
- By using the automatic liability insurance module, there is much less of a chance in lapsing renters insurance and the property has a better chance of recuperating losses due to " I fell asleep while the stove was on ". Yes, this has actually happened.

Cons: Appfolio is not something you plug into your current systems. To do it correctly and efficiently you'll need to rework your processes around it. This can be good or bad. Depending on if you like creating systems. When you're done, you'll have an employee that never sleeps and takes care of a ton of your management tasks.

by AppFolio on 16/01/2019

Hi Dean, thank you for taking the time to provide this feedback. It's great to hear that AppFolio is integral to running your property management business. We appreciate your partnership!