Paylocity Reviews

• Overall

About Paylocity

Paylocity's comprehensive product suite delivers a unified platform for professionals to make strategic HR and payroll decisions!

Learn more about Paylocity

Shauna R.
Human Resources Manager
Utilities, 51-200 Employees

"Feedback"

Comments: Great, love it. I would recommend it to anyone.

Pros: Paylocity has elevated our companies use of technology. Favorite feature is the Self Service Portal empowering employees to be accountability to their information. Surveys has been useful and the LMS has been utilized more.

Cons: It would be nice to send a notification out to employees without involving "Community". I use Community for things going on in the company. If we could do separate notifications for employees it would be great.

Sara S.
CFO
Insurance, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/05/2021

"Paylocity"

Comments: Overall it's good.

Pros: Product is pretty easy to use. Payroll processing is much easier to use than ADP and Paychex. Mobile app is solid for the most part. Easy to request time off via mobile.

Cons: There is almost too much! It makes it difficult to find stuff because there is too much. I wish the mobile app had some other items.

• Reviewed on 10/05/2021
Jason A.
Director, HR
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2018

"The software works and customer service is excellent."

Comments: Our experience has been great. We moved from the big three letter company and have been very happy. The customer service experience is night and day compared to our old payroll company.

Pros: I use WebPay for all of our payroll needs. We are able to separate locations, job codes and have different pay rates for different codes for the same employee. Imports from WebTIme all of our hourly staff members with minimal oversight. Reports are useful and robust.

Cons: I wish they had an education version that would show what an employee earns based on a school schedule rather than on a typical annual schedule for traditional businesses.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2018
Candice O.
Director of Finance
Mental Health Care, 51-200 Employees

"Payroll & HR"

Comments: It has been a great product, support has been good.

Pros: The recruiting and onboarding has been the most impactful feature for our organization; our previous software did not have these features, so all recruiting was done with paper.

Cons: The major con of the software is due to the complicated nature of our overtime structure, which we were assured Paylocity could handle, but it turns out that the process would require a work-around that would not appear in time and labor so that staff could actually see when they are being paid double time vs straight overtime.

Heidi M.
Admin Assistant
Medical Practice, 51-200 Employees

"Easy to use software!!"

Comments: Customer service is Amazing!!

Pros: I like how easy it is to use and get around in.

Cons: The reports aren't always easy to find.

Alison C.
Exec. Director
Philanthropy, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/07/2018

"Persistent Issues/High Turn-Over"

Comments: Their sales is excellent and they will sell you what they have while telling you they can make anything else work as they started as a "tech company." Be warned however, you never actually get to talk to a "tech person" if you have issues with their system and therefore, nothing ever changes. They also have a lot of turn-over and it appears that they lose their quality representatives to promotions and seemingly do not have incentive for those quality employees to stay in the representative positions. Those left to support the customer are typically very new and/or entirely unpleasant to work with. If you see exactly what they have during the sales pitch and it works for you, this company could work well for your payroll needs! I would highly discourage any employer from using this company if you have employees that work outside of typical daytime work hours. I do not have confidence that they are willing or able to fix some of the detrimental payroll issues that we are experiencing.

Pros: There are a lot of options that you can decide to use with Paylocity and like other reviewers, we were really impressed with the report options and capabilities when we were interviewing payroll companies.

Cons: We were definitely sold on a lot of options that we are necessary for us to run a smooth, effective and correct payroll but many of those have turned out not to be true. I'll describe out top three persistent, unresolved issues. For starters, we have employees the work overnight shifts and the way Paylocity time sheets are set up is that if you work an overnight, all of your hours fall on the day you clocked in. This is a huge issue at the end of the week when employees would get paid for overtime in that week if we didn't manually adjust their time sheets to split the shift at midnight. I'll state that again... we have to manually edit every time sheet to correctly prevent incorrect payment of overtime. It's extremely time consuming and often leads to more errors and Paylocity has failed to mitigate this issue at every chance. Secondly, some of our employees receive a shift differential if they work certain hours. Paylocity reportedly has a set up for this that "works at other companies" but in our experience, it is a serious disaster. Their code/rule/setup does not catch the correct hours for adding the differentials and does one of six things:
1. It does not add the differential at all
2. It adds the differential to some, but not all, of the correct hours
3. It adds the differential to hours that it does not apply to
4. It adds a double differential and on rare occasion a 1.5 differential
5. It adds random dollar amounts at the differential rate with no corresponding hours
6. It occasionally pays all of the hours correctly for one or two employees per payroll
To sum this up, we have to review ever employee and manually adjust these calculations. I'll state that again... we have to manually edit every time sheet to correctly pay our employees. It's extremely time consuming and often leads to more errors. Paylocity has also failed to mitigate this issue at every chance. Lastly, we have been with Paylocity for almost exactly 2 years and are now working with our sixth company rep who can guarantees, like all the others, that they will solve this issue. There has been one attempt at resolving the issues that

• Reviewed on 04/07/2018
Jackie K.
Chief Heart Officer
Insurance, 51-200 Employees

"Great product!"

Comments: It has been good.

Pros: Integration was super easy and support was great throughout the entire process. Onboarding with employees was also very easy.

Cons: There are several features available that I did not know were available. At the time of implementation, we only needed a few things. We have grown significantly since we launched Paylocity and could really use additional features but did not know they existed. I think there should be a check-in or account review at least annually to discuss other potential features/products.

K michele L.
Research Coordinator
Construction, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/04/2019

"Paylocity Web Time"

Comments: In our company, we use Paylocity Web Time to record the time we work for each day, which allows us to reflect our accountability to our supervisor in real-time regardless of whether he/she is in the office, at a meeting off-site, or out in the field.

Pros: I've been using the Paylocity application for two years. I use Web Time to clock in for the day, sign out to take a break or lunch, or to clock out at the end of each work day. I also use the Web Time feature to request time off when I need to schedule a professional day off (PTO). The thing I like most about Paylocity and the Web Time feature is how easily accessible it is. So whether a user works in an office or out in the field, Paylocity Web Time is easily available to use for the user via their desktop, laptop, tablet, or phone.

Cons: In the past two years, I have yet to discover a con about the Web Time feature.

• Reviewed on 03/04/2019
Glenn M.
IT Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/08/2018

"Good System If Your Staff Is Tech-Savvy"

Comments: I would recommend Paylocity for more tech-savvy companies, as it relies heavily on users to take control of their time off requests, sick days, and ensure the accuracy of their time card. Personally I like it because it removes the need to see an HR person for everything, but for those employees who are uncomfortable with technology it can be a difficult transition.

Pros: The support is mostly good, and the implementation was relatively painless. They were able to import the data from our previous payroll processor and they have been flexible about adding additional policies and changes we've needed since our initial switchover.

Cons: Since our initial deployment of the service, we've had some issues getting support on important issues, like new state laws that impact our payroll processing and time-off accrual rates. This can be frustrating because someone will tell us they are working on it but we might go 2 weeks before getting any resolution to what should in theory be a relatively simple change.

• Reviewed on 01/08/2018
Carrie D.
Controller/HR Director
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2021

"Paylocity Review"

Comments: My overall experience has been good with Paylocity.

Pros: Paylocity is in my opinion a very user friendly software to navigate. The ability to create custom reports is great as well as the ease of hiring and terminating employees. The reporting module was an essential piece in filing for the PPP loan forgiveness.

Cons: I have found the GL upload to be most difficult and it is still not completed I do a manual entry of this for payroll into my accounting system for every payroll. I would love to have someone when it is off season to reach out and assist with this.

• Reviewed on 10/03/2021
Laurie K.
Senior Benefits Officer
Banking, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/02/2021

"Paylocity, an intuitive and robust HRIS"

Comments: Overall, our experience with Paylocity has been very positive. Their website is easy to use. Knowledgeable assistance is readily available by phone, email, chat, or educational resources if questions arise.

Pros: Paylocity's modules are intuitive and robust. Enhancements are regularly rolled out to improve and increase functionality. We continue to look for opportunities to leverage this to our advantage. The level of customer service and availability of helpful resources is by far the best we have experienced. We're very happy with our decision to partner with Paylocity.

Cons: The Performance module has been strengthened in a number of areas recently, which we appreciate. Review Items (i.e. job-specific competencies) is one area that would benefit from a closer review. Currently, there is not an easy way to determine which positions have been assigned a specific Review Item. This can make resolving discrepancies very challenging.

• Reviewed on 20/02/2021
Karen S.
Finance Assistant
Mental Health Care, 51-200 Employees

"Review1"

Comments: I feel that Paylocity is a great payroll software and thru time I have learned to program it to work to my satisfaction. Overall it is user friendly and I would recommend to others.

Pros: The capacity of reports it offered that I use on a daily basic. The ease of running an payroll, adjusting time, making changes as needed.

Cons: At first the steps it took to produce the reports that were needed. Customizing the software to work as we needed it too.

Sofia C.
Accounting Manager
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/07/2021

"We love it, our employees love it, our auditors love it too!"

Comments: Saves time, PR processing is not a hassle anymore. The only thing we have to worry about, is the difficulty of time changing when someone forgets to login.

Pros: Clock-in/out was a gamechanger. It took some time for the employees to adjust to it, but they are not up and running with it. The convenience of everyone having their own portal to login and download their PR related docs was also a gamechanger. We love Paylocity.

Cons: No, It does more than we ever expected an HR software to do before

• Reviewed on 27/07/2021
Krissy V.
Assistant Property Manager
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/10/2019

"Easily Manage your Timecard, PTO, Benefits, and More with Paylocity!"

Comments: I have used this service for clocking in/clocking out an managing employee time cards.

Pros: One of my favorite things about Palocity that makes it stand out from other software is the ability to customize and make a profile. You can connect with other teammates, and give each other props and recognition. It really helps build internal relationships, which is a really unique feature for a payroll software.

Cons: The interface for Paylocity is a little confusing in my opinion. It can be a little difficult to navigate the platform when you are new to the software. Sometimes I feel like commonly used tabs/links require a couple of clicks to access, instead of being readily available on the main homepage.

• Reviewed on 22/10/2019
Jacquelyn F.
Payroll Manager
Real Estate, 501-1,000 Employees

"Excellent Payroll Service"

Comments: Paylocity has made our jobs easier, more accurate, more efficient and take less time to look up the history of an employee. If something goes wrong, Paylocity fixes it right away, their customer services is impeccable, they are attentive and very knowledgeable in the payroll and hr field. I love that they are compliant in each state which makes making sure we are compliant in all areas easy.

Pros: I love Paylocity. The reports are easy to use, I can even create a custom report for exactly what I am looking for. I love the ease of adding a new employee, setup between multiple services is amazing and makes our job that much easier.

Cons: Transferring an employee between different companies. That section does not work properly. I feel that I should be able to click on what I would like to transfer from 1 company to the next.

Chief Operating Officer
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/09/2020

"Very few kinks"

Comments: Overall, implementation was good and reporting is one of the few bumps. We expect as we use the system and learn it better, we can make it work for us.

Pros: It was easy to roll over into paylocity from our old system and we like that we are able to still cut payroll checks in-house. The time management and benefit feature is nice and the portal is very user-friendly.

Cons: This was the most expensive solution we looked at. While we decided it was probably the best for our uses, the jury is still out on whether it is worth the money or not. We have found that our old system produced better reports that were specific to our industry (restaurant) and that Paylocity does not have the same reports set up.

• Reviewed on 29/09/2020
Anne A.
HR & Admin Manager
Machinery, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2021

"Paylocity makes HR processes painless"

Comments: The integration of their modules make it easy to track employee participation and completion. I love having a digital record of all HR processes - compensation, performance reviews, training, tax documents, etc. Less paper in the employee file. The information is readily available to associate's who are able to ask relevant questions to HR.

Pros: I love the suite of integrated platforms. The work flow from Applicant Tracking to Hiring to Web Benefits. It all fits together and makes daily tasks so much easier.

Cons: It was a challenge to get the COBRA file information flowing to the carriers from Web Benefits.
It is difficult to make a change to submitted time off requests. The entire entry must be deleted instead of allowing for modifications.

Tom N.
Human Resources Director
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/05/2021

"Some flaws, but still probably the best HR system I've used."

Comments: Overall experience has been positive. Can escalate service issues with Paylocity sales staff as needed.

Pros: The system is constantly being updated. Previous issues I've had with the system, such as confusion on how job descriptions are listed have been fixed in future updates.

Cons: Reporting can be a struggle since many standard reports from Paylocity involve merged cells without one single row of data. Customer service is very hit or miss depending on responds to the requests.

MBA Candidate 4.0/4.0 GPA
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/08/2020

"So many functions - so many complications"

Comments: The customer service team is on call all the time. The trainings are super helpful and they really want to help you. They did everything they could that their system allowed for and the tried their hardest to help transfer and transition as much data as possible. Not everything updated during the last update and we had to manually a lot of profile and payroll issues because of this. Because of how amazing their support team is, they get a lot more stars. Also, there's so many functions, I haven't even used them all!

Pros: Paylocity is really amazing. I love the community/engagement section. I love that there is so much data you won't even know what to do with it. I love that the historical information you put in actually has a purpose beyond storage. Information is analyzed internally by the system and gives you insights. The LMS system provided has so many great trainings not just as an admin, employee, or supervisor using the actual software, but also for other types of leadership and soft skill training too! Onboarding is AMAZING. You can track every little thing, include every document needed, it walks the admin and the employee step by step so you can't miss a thing and you can assign tasks to people in the company!

Cons: l know I said I love this software but by jove, it also drives me CRAZY how hard it is to navigate and how some functions that our Paylocity support team has let us know many people complained about and that they are "working on the feature". Offboarding is a NIGHTMARE. Everything I listed about onboarding, not a single feature is available when an employee separates. IPP goals don't let you list team goals! Only individual and department and cross functional collaborate goals. UGH. You have to go into settings and configure your workflows all the time! WHY! The dashboard is TOO confusing for some people-this is NOT technologically inept friendly at all. You cannot change your view to the employee view to see what they are having issues with unlike our last HRIS system. This is very very frustrating because I can only navigate and let the employees know where to do and provide resources but not see what they are seeing and work from the back end for them. A lot of their data insights are worthless when you transition. It's literally like starting from scratch. Even if you have tons of history from your old system, they don't translate and you have to wait 3-6 months before you can start taking advantage.

• Reviewed on 18/08/2020
Lisa F.
Controller
Pharmaceuticals, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2021

"Easy to use, end users have been impressed"

Pros: The end user employees are able to take care of most questions and issues themselves through the Self Service Portal. Our semi-monthly payroll entry is simple. Like how the recruiting information for a new employee rolls over to onboarding and HR seamlessly.

Cons: There are some processes that aren't intuitive. For example, setting up HSA bank accounts for individual employees. The integration with our benefits software is a little buggy. There have been errors and I still have to go into our benefits system to make sure terminations and new employees are rolling over.

Angela H.
Payroll Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/05/2021

"Very Intuitive and User Frendly System"

Comments: I have worked in many systems and Paylocity is by far my preference. Their implementations are smooth and their product is exactly what they promote it to be. Their robust reporting features have allowed us to better support our finance team in creating more accurate financial backup. The ease of use for our users has created more accurate timekeeping and labor cost allocations.

Pros: Paylocity is very a very intuitive system. All of our team members, from the more computer savvy to the infrequent computer users liked the ease of use of Paylocity.

Cons: I really don't have any negative feedback. Paylocity is very good about collecting feedback from customers and working to implement changes in the software to meet their clients needs. Many companies say that, but I have witnessed in many instances that Paylocity has DONE it.

Jen L.
Accounting Specialist
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees

"Happy Customer"

Comments: No system is perfect, but we are overall happy with Paylocity. They have multiple modules that we just keep adding on that make connecting with employees and having one system for multiple aspects of the business very easy.

Pros: Paylocity is easy to use for users. I love that the company is always improving the software and values feedback. Our account manager is always helpful. I manage payroll and Paylocity makes it very easy to complete and I love how there are so many things that integrate with the system. For instance, our 401(k) provider connects, as well as the benefits module.

Cons: The reporting is not very user-friendly for what we use it for, especially expense reports. But overall they are always making improvements and asking for feedback, which makes me hopeful that the reports will improve more.

Tina R.
Human Resources Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 Employees

"Paylocity Rating"

Comments: Time and Efficiency Savers:
1)We were able to go from a paper based evaluation process to an electronic based process with Paylocity.
2) We we able to go from a paper expense report to an electronic based process where the expense flowed automatically from employee to supervisor to their paycheck.
3) ACA reporting is handled by Paylocity.
4) Benefits Open Enrollment is now electronic with Paylocity. The employee elections, changes, deletions, all flow from HR directly to the carriers. No more having to log-in to various carrier portals to make these changes.
5) File feeds are big time saver.
6) We saved money on employee training courses by using the training courses offer by Paylocity.
7) Paylocity offers many compliance dashboards that saves time and money as it flags errors in real time.

Pros: 1) You have a dedicated Account Manager.
2) I have worked with a few payroll companies during my HR tenure and Paylocity by far is the best product on the market. It is so user friendly. Employees love it because it is easy to use, it has a mobile app, and anything they need related to payroll and benefits is in one place.
3) Transferring from our old payroll company to Paylocity was an easy transition. Paylocity provides you with a dedicate account manager for payroll and time entry. The do all the work.
4) Compliance with Paylocity cannot get an easier. There are Compliance Dashboards, ACA Reporting Dashboards, Year End Reporting Dashboards. Everything is configured in the system and ready for your review in each of the Dashbaords.
5) Paylocity has the most user friendly Reporting feature I've seen in any product. Lots of standard reports. Easy to use custom reporting featuring.
6) Lots of module that you add as you need, Perf Mgmt, Expenses, Recruting, On-Boarding, to name a few.
7) Performance Mgmt module is so easy to set and customize to your needs. Employees loved using it. It includes a Journal feature that the managers can keep notes throughout the year.

Cons: No Cons. I've used other payroll companies in the past, Paylocity far exceeds all of them.

Karen P.
HR Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/07/2021

"Good HR and Payroll System"

Comments: Overall, we are happy with Paylocity; however, there are a few things, like I mentioned earlier that seem a little behind the times.

Pros: I find the reporting feature to be robust because the reports available contain all of the information I need to report on. E.G., Date of Hire, Supervisor name, employee list, payroll data.

Cons: The paid time off balance information really needs to improve. Currently, employees don't see any accrued or used PTO until the next payperiod (semi-monthly). Employees would like to see their balance in real time.

• Reviewed on 28/07/2021
Eric F.
Chief Operations and Financial Officer
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/05/2021

"Robust system, not the most user friendly"

Comments: We have 100s of contractors who are managed separately from our full- and part-time staff. Paylocity enabled us to handle the different demands of both groups.

Pros: A very robust system. Keeps abreast of policy changes making it easy to consider options. Extremely function rich with many reporting options, sometimes to the point of fault in that it takes some training to become familiar with the system. Integration and customer services have both been excellent.

Cons: The system is not the most user friendly, but it adds functionality in place of user experience. For example, adding a new 401k/403b program took multiple calls with customer service to be sure everything was set appropriately. Same for HSA enrollment. The full product requires more than a basic level of technical proficiency.