15 years helping Australian businesses

About Shopify

Shopify is a commerce platform that allows anyone to easily sell online, at a retail location, and everywhere in between.

Learn more about Shopify

Pros:

Shopify is an excellent solution for both beginners and professionals. They offer a 14-day free trial and it is user friendly.

Cons:

Each time I close this software, I'll have to re-login typing my email and password and it freezes sometimes, I'll have to logout and login again to see my sales stats.

Shopify ratings

4.5
4.4
4.4
4.3

8.4/10

Shopify has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 6,359 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Shopify before?

Filter reviews (6,359)

Abdellatif
Abdellatif
Freelancer in France
Computer Software, Self Employed

Shopify is the best way to start ecommerce

Comments: I ought to say this is the stage that I might want to use for my online business clients. Presumably that they are working really hard structure. I trust Shopify start a respectable client assistance that we can call and allow us to pose inquiries as a paying client.

Pros:

So natural to simply import all my client's items and the day after that large number of items where on Google's most memorable page that astounded me. Extremely simple to arrangement and use. I use it for my client's internet based shop.

Cons:

Where do I started? - Only a couple of free site topic! truly?? indeed, even we're burning through $30/month we need to pay like $300 to get a respectable subject! - Although the vast majority (counting myself) thought there was such countless instructional exercises on web however there isn't sufficient. A large portion of them are being made by the more established rendition and doesn't match the new look. - Google's page speed test is continuously showing lower speed contrasting with different stages like Wordpress. - No client assistance which isn't adequate

Kyle
Operator in US
Apparel & Fashion, Self Employed

Simple and Easy to Use

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I have used Shopify since 2019 and it is better than Woocommerce built on Word Press for me because I don't have to code a lot

Pros:

It is easy to set up and use. It makes starting an ecommerce store possible for someone like me that doesn't having website development and coding skills. It has a payment processor, good basic themes and integrates well with social media, shipping software and other softwares.

Cons:

I don't like that you need a lot of apps to add things like multiple images to each variation. That should be built in like it is on eBay and Amazon's platforms.

Loïc
Artiste in France
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

If you want to have problems, choose this platform

Comments: catastrophic, I spent 3 months building a site that I will likely have to redo elsewhere!

Pros:

I really see none in English Or perhaps if you are going to learn coding since their so-called experts constantly leave you alone with problems.

Cons:

If you want a site with just three pages and no interesting features, it might be okay, but as soon as you add the slightest functionality, nothing works anymore. It's a very poorly functioning mess. I made the mistake of thinking, after seeing an advertisement, that I would leave WordPress for a Shopify site and not have to deal with technical aspects anymore, what a mistake! Since I've been with them, I've had nothing but troubles, which I have to solve on my own since their team of experts leaves you alone for days and days, sometimes weeks without helping. Again, I have a bug that causes my site not to be indexed by Google due to a redirection issue. I found the problem after days of searching and have been waiting for 7 days for their technical team to intervene for a beginner's issue that I would have resolved on my former platform in 2 minutes. It's shameful. Shopify lures you in by saying you won't have to manage anything, but once you're with them and encounter a problem, the response is that you need to pay extra to hire an expert for the slightest issue! Definitely do not choose this platform, or you will regret it!

Melissa
Melissa
Founder in US
Retail, Self Employed

Long time user

Comments: As a startup, you get great bang for your buck. Do your research on apps and features before committing

Pros:

The changes to the online editor have been amazing. Easy to create the website you envision without coding experience. The App Store is a great asset,

Cons:

App costs can add up, not a fan of the blog page layout

PHYLLIS WANJIKU
Data Scientist in Türkiye
Furniture, 2–10 Employees

E-commerce solution for small businesses.

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: It is easy to use. Get ready to grow your sales countrywide.

Pros:

I have used Shopify for my store and have liked the experience of creating, designing and seeing sales increase. Overall I have liked how beginner friendly it is.

Cons:

Finding the right apps is a challenge so I have had to research before buying an app for the store

Steve
Marketing Manager in UK
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Shopify was the best choice

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: After being with Magento/Adobe Commerce for many years, Shopify gave us everything we needed at a fraction of the price and development time.

Pros:

The price, the features and ease of use.

Cons:

Standard version a little limited on some checkout features.

ADRIANO
CFO in US
Retail, 51–200 Employees

Easy set up!

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: So far, the experience has been good. No major complaints.

Pros:

It's friendly user and has an easy set up. Dashboard is very straight forward as well.

Cons:

It seems to do the job, but we have not seen any sales increase in our e-commerce.

Felicitas
Chief Marketing Officer in US
Cosmetics, 2–10 Employees

One of the best ecommerce platforms

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: I loved the Shopify app because of how flexible it was.
It gave me all the freedom I needed to run my e-commerce store. While you would need a developer for more advanced features, I didn't have to code or learn anything technical when setting up my store.
All in all, I highly recommend Shopify to anybody looking to start up their online store.

Pros:

It has many integrated payment options, making it easy for sellers to have customers from all over the world. Also, its easy-to-use themes and fast loading speed time make it a good choice. Lastly, a basic Shopify store can be up and running in about 30 minutes i.e it doesn't require any coding to set up a Shopify store

Cons:

The lack of a free version on Shopify. New users are only given 3 days to determine if they want to use the platform, which isn't enough. Also, to add advanced features to your store, you would need a developer which can be expensive. Lastly, shopify has very poor settings and features in regard to SEO marketing.

Madhura
Marketing Strategist in US
Retail, 11–50 Employees

One of the best integrated platform

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

Shopify is easily as boon to non coders and have features that elevate shopping experiences.

Cons:

I would maybe reduce number of plug ins needed for added features and request an inbuilt method.

Julian
CEO in Denmark
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

The Market Leader in EComm CMS Solutions

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

It has a huge amount of information out there where you can be almost sure you are not the first one who has a certain question or problem. It has a very nice backend UX.

Cons:

It becomes quite pricey quite quickly. Some features would be nice to be free. The Connection to Google for Multi Language Feeds could be better.

Chelsea
Business Owner in US
Retail, Self Employed

Shopify for the win!

Comments: I love that shopify will scale with my business and that there are various pricing plans that give you different options and shipping discounts. It's easy to use and has other apps that work with it so I can easily generate line sheets and product catalogues.

Pros:

I love that shopify integrates seamlessly into my inventory program, social media accounts, email marketing platform, etc. They also work really well with google ads so you can add products to google shopping and run really effective retargeting ads. Their live view option is great and gives me an idea of where my customers are coming from. Their shipping discounts are also great!

Cons:

The only thing that really annoys me is that I can't pick which shipping option comes first. Because one of my shipping options is "local pickup" and is free, I'd rather that not be the default shipping option (a lot of out of town customers accidentally choose local pickup and then I have to contact them and it looks unprofessional). Apart from that, it's a great platform

Lee'Ann
Lee'Ann
Founder in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Shopify is easy to launch and manage

Comments: My overall experience has been positive using Shopify as my shopping cart for my store. I felt the transition from Magento was pretty simple - although I did not do the migration that is an option, I ended up starting a brand new site.

Pros:

I currently use Shopify for my “side hustle” business - selling retro and vintage style dresses online - www.retrovintagedresses.com I previously used Magento for my shopping cart before switching over to Shopify. I like that it’s an easy platform to get set up on and deploy. Also, I love that you can easily create a catalog on business manager to sell products on Facebook and Instagram. Definitely easy to use.

Cons:

I don’t have any cons that I can think of with Shopify. I’ve been using it for over 2 years and have not had any major issues or set backs.

Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Quick and Easy to Use

Comments: A few years ago we were having issues with the security implementation on our WooCommerce site. We switched to Shopify and to be honest, it is much easier for our customer service people to use. Although, editing the code may be a little more difficult, it is not anything that anyone should really be afraid of. There is a pretty active community forum for help as well as the help desk has answered my questions when I have had them as well.

Pros:

I find that it is pretty easy to create products and make them go live. Further, the fact that Shopify provides the hosting and therefore, the security for the site is quite amazing. I also like that Shopify is a major player in the marketplace. So many times I have had to go for knock offs and Shopify is not that.

Cons:

Having been a guy that had never edited liquid files before, that was new to me, but finding what I need to edit and adjust in the code is really not that difficult. There is a lot of help available for this too. I do find that there are not as many apps to connect to your site as there is with WooCommerce. That is also connected to the security aspect as well though as sometimes having too many apps allows for more opportunities for things to go wrong.

Jennifer
Designer in US

Shopify makes everything easier

Comments: I love using Shopify because it’s user friendly and thus saves me a lot of time. The theme choices and app options are excellent do you can really enhance your website and make it look professional.

Pros:

It’s very user friendly with lots of options to help business growth and development. Customer service is fast and efficient. They are very helpful and friendly and easy to get a hold off. Constant updates and apps to add to your site means you stay up to date with new trends and features. Also Shopify integrates easily with a lot of things you need like Facebook catalogue, other wholesale sites etc. You can basically transfer over your inventory in 1 click. You also get great discounted rates on shipping.

Cons:

It is more expensive than other options plus to integrate anything eg. Instagram, email newsletter function, galleries etc you need to pay for an app. Some apps are free but very few. A lot of features are only available on the more expensive pro plan.

Claude
CEO in US
Retail, 2–10 Employees

Shopify is a very good platform for someone with a larger business and inventory. Its a 4.5 for me!

Comments: I will highly recommend Shopify to anyone as it helps you create a platform or a website which fits your niche. It is very secure and it has so many modes of accepting payments. They have a lot of seller features to improve sales.

Pros:

Here, you have a lot of features. No tech skills, no problem. If you understand how to use these features, you can create a very user friendly store with a beautify user interface. It is also very secure and reliable. Their customer support is also great since there have a 24/7 customer support service. You can accept both online payments and POS. They also have a mobile app which make the who experience so user friendly for the seller, from listing and inventory management to fulfilling orders. You can also create as many stores as you want, depending on the niche.

Cons:

There is a monthly fee associated with Shopify, irrespective of your sales. Also, since you are creating a store from already established templates, full customization is limited. You also need to run ads or drive traffic to your store. If your store is still a new one, you have have low sales during the beginning.

Patrick
IT Director in US

Shopify Fit Our Needs Perfectly And Continues To Impress

Comments: Until the end of 2020 we had a legal forms business, selling paper and electronic forms both in a storefront retail setting and via our website. We had to close the retail space and substantially streamline and simplify our website as it had been custom-coded and was complicated and expensive to maintain. Shopify offered a turnkey solution at a fraction of what we'd been paying – pretty much a no-brainer.

Pros:

Setting up our company and its shop was very easy, as well as finding a visual theme that suited us and meshed well with our existing branding. There's a wealth of free themes, and countless additional paid ones, so it's hard to imagine anyone not finding what they need. Shopify's core functions are quite complete and comprehensive, but if you find there's something they don't do for you out of the box, chances are good that there's a third-party app that will answer the need, and usually for not very much additional expense.

Cons:

Importing existing products into the store was a pretty big project (although of course, not all new store creators have 200-300 products they need to start up with like we did), and editing and/or customizing those products can be time-consuming and sometimes awkward. There are times when I'd really like to multiple-select several products and modify the same attribute for all of them, but the system doesn't support this. I have a feeling they'll add support for this kind of thing somewhere down the line.

Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Shopify Review

Comments: As I would see it, Shopify is an astounding stage to develop with. They have the scale, elements, backing, and valuing to cover you whether you are a fresh out of the box new one-item shop - or then again to be the following Amazon. There's no upsell to the following arrangement level - everything is straightforward and clear.

Pros:

Speedy, Easy Set-Up. In the event that getting your business online rapidly and effectively is important for your objective, Shopify is perhaps the best stage to help. Client support. Mobile friendly Unimaginable Marketing and SEO Tools. Security and Reliability. Adaptability. Incorporation Options.

Cons:

The major con for Shopify is that the membership and exchange charges. Shopify plans start at $29 for essential plans and increment up to $299 for a few progressed plans. Different costs incorporate exchange charges related with selling on the web as well as membership expenses to utilize the applications you want.

Hester
Private in South Africa
Government Relations, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Shopify Review - What to know

Comments: Shopify is an easy-to-use platform. It has a clean, intuitive UI and gives a generally positive user experience, although there are a few of flaws with content layout and graphics that are worth focusing in on.
Shopify also makes entrepreneurship more accessible to everyone looking for a way to generate their own money.
You can quickly set up your store and campaigns while also creating rich, unique experiences similar to those seen from big brands with Shopify.
Shopify Inbox is a free messaging software that helps you engage with consumers and sell more by chatting with them. All from Shopify, you can manage client discussions, send automated messages, and gain data to focus on chats that convert.

Pros:

Shopify is the most user-friendly eCommerce platform, with a great balance of strength and simplicity. Shopify's plugin and theme markets are incredible. Shopify allows for true multi-currency selling, which is something that many competitor systems do not allow. Shopify has a free email marketing tool that allows you to host and email up to 2,500 subscribers. If you utilize Shopify Payments, the built-in payment processing system, there are no transaction costs. Shopify supports a huge variety of external payment gateways. Before committing to Shopify, you can sample it for free and without giving your credit card information.

Cons:

Key feature that you might expect to be available out of the box frequently requires the installation of an app, which can make store setup a little more hard than you'd want or cause your site to slow down a little. Shopify will set you back $30 per month or more, which may seem exorbitant when compared to some of the open source alternatives. Professional reporting is only available on the more expensive subscriptions. If you aren't using 'Shopify Shipping' to provide real-time carrier rates to your consumers, or if you live in a location where it isn't available, this functionality can be rather costly, or it may need you to purchase an annual subscription. Some of the more interesting features are only available on the more expensive subscriptions.

Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Small Business Owner's best friend

Pros:

Ease of use, robust security, feature rich, clean interface, the app ecosystem.Drag and drop feature. Easy set up of the store by a non technical person. No learning curve. Reliability. The support team is also very helpful.

Cons:

The additional transactional charges above the monthly subscription charge. When we use a bunch of apps, the subscription charges tend to pile up. Costlier as compared to Wordpress. But makes up for it in the ease of use and reliability.

Judah
Judah
Senior Account Executive - Commercial Print in US
Retail, 11–50 Employees

OK but MUCH room for improvement

Comments: 2014 = great
2018 = terrible
I would encourage rep. to contact me.

Pros:

When I first signed up for Shopify 4-5 years ago I thought it was the best thing to happen to ecommerce. Gurus were knowledgeable and accessible (via phone!), the product worked beautifully and it met my needs. Now that my business has grown and I'm finding that Shopify is not set up to handle a business of high growth. Shopify has grown so fast that the average conversation with a Guru has dropped from outstanding to barely acceptable. Most of the time, the I know more than the Gurus. Follow up from the gurus is also terrible. You can still reach them by phone but if you need to speak to someome in the company with more experience, you can only access them via email and they take FOREVER to get to you. So you can forget about getting any help from someone with real knowledge of the product. The native functionality is also only good for very basic businesses. For example, if you need to ship a single item in multiple boxes, you can forget about doing that natively in the app or taking advantage of their discounted shipping rates. If you want to get a custom app built, you can forget about getting any support on the API from the gurus because they don't know anything about API. Again, there is no escalation point for customers who have a higher level of needs. Want help from the Shopify Expert community? You can forget about being called and speaking to someone local. Most won't do it, I've tried. If you get a response, the best you'll get is an email that reads something alo

Cons:

ng the lines of "I can do this for you." and it's from someone on the other side of the world that has no clue about you, your business, your country or it's customs. I could go on and on but in summary, I am HIGHLY disappointed with the level of support and in 4 years have gone from a loyal, enthusiastic customer to a highly disgruntled customer looking for new options.

Jamie
Jamie
Senior Consultant in US
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Amazing eCommerce platform for novices and developers alike!

Pros:

I've been running an eCommerce shop for 5 years on Shopify. Easy setup and easy import of products from a CSV file. The app store has a large variety of free and paid plugins that deal with all the edge cases and shortcomings of Shopify. I've been able to import multiple other platforms and convert a Shopify store in a matter of hours. The user interface is intuitive and simple to navigate. In the last few years, adding channels to sell on such as Houzz and Facebook have made a big difference in being able to get visibility into our products. The ability to quickly change themes and customize using the Liquid language is quite nice for developers using this product.

Cons:

The pricing between the middle tier and advance is a big leap. The middle tier plan only allows 5 staff accounts, which can be limited, to people using development consultants and virtual staff. The ability manage redirects (from a previous site) is limited but can be fixed by using a paid app from the Shopify app store.

Amy
Brand Director and Partner in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Great platform for small business ecommerce

Comments: We're a small agency that used to focus primarily on Wordpress sites, but as clients came to us with sites built on other platforms, we've quickly come up-to-speed on Squarespace, Wix and Shopify as well. Hands-down, Shopify is a great platform for ecommerce, especially for companies that require the ease of having everything they need under one umbrella platform. It's easy to make the site look great, without requiring coding.

Pros:

Shopify is easy to set up, modify and manage without requiring outside technical support. The interface is fresh and modern, loads fast, and everything you need in terms of additional software apps are within easy reach from the admin panel.

Cons:

I really wish it were easier to create marketing campaign landing pages in Shopify. The platform isn't built for creating multiple unique page types. In fact, it's not intuitive at all when it comes to adding and editing a new page type. Luckily, there are landing page apps available that can help with that. App integration is a snap, and we like that apps are billed monthly... it makes it easy for us to audition a new app and see how well it works for us. There are many inexpensive and even free apps available.

Brenten
Co-Founder in US
Industrial Automation, 2–10 Employees

Great E-Commerce Software!

Comments: Overall, I recommend this software for anyone looking for an e-commerce software with a lot of great features and functionality for a reasonable price. I have had very few issues with this software over the years, and I am overall satisfied with how well it has worked on our website.

Pros:

We have been using this at my company for years and it has lots of features that make e-commerce very simple. This is how we facilitate and track sales on our website, and it’s always gone very smooth with this software.

Cons:

Customer service could be a bit quicker to respond.

Jerome
Jerome
Website Manager in Australia
Newspapers, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Works reasonably well out of the box

Comments: Shopify is a good platform to get you up and running very quickly. It is one big ecosystem that sometimes works in your favour but unfortunately very much works in theirs.

Pros:

Shopify does a good job of enabling you to start selling very quickly. You need to be aware that this only includes very limited functionality though and any extra options you may need to add, even as simple as a pre-sale or adding meta fields (custom fields) requires an monthly fee for an App. We currently have 5 Apps installed that almost cost the same as our subscription charge but I have been involved in some Shopify projects where the App to subscription charge was triple. You need to really consider what functionality you deem necessary before adding extra apps as this can all add up. Of course if the functionality is necessary and pays for itself with one order then it is all worth it.

Cons:

The core functionality is a little limited. Shopify+ has the promise of almost unlimited functionality but the cost is prohibitive for most shops and even though they could give standard Shopify users access to some of these functions they don’t so most functionality does require an App

Yiğit
Junior Software Developer in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Servis is good

Comments: Although I have listed the minuses quite a bit, it is recommended for a quick start to e-commerce.It speeds up your work, it doesn't let you down.

Pros:

It's really impressive. The plugins are expensive and they charge a monthly fee. Service is of good quality. it is detailed but not complicated . The most well-known payment systems for turkey are guarantee virtual pos (no installments), payu and iyzico. iyzico integration is newer . -Easy to define the discount. It is very easy to follow the orders thanks to the mobile application. There are many themes available at affordable prices on sites such as themeforest.com etc. Do not buy themes from their site, very expensive and simple themes. The template system works with a language called liquid. It's easy to set up once you get used to it. It does most of the SEO. their api is extensive and their documentation is good. The blog system is a bit weak. It did not go to shopify even though it was paid several times. In general, it can be said that it is quite easy to use compared to its competitors.

Cons:

It limits the site in many ways. You cannot customize the checkout page. If you give thousands of dollars, they'll let you. urls have to take prefixes like pages/ collections/. It's frustrating not being able to remove them. In order to do real customization, it is necessary to learn the liquid language. It is a bit difficult to develop on it, there is no test environment. However, development can be done by putting the theme in preview mode and making changes on it.