15 years helping Australian businesses

ActiveCampaign Reviews

4.6 (2,376) Write a Review!

About ActiveCampaign

We help small teams power big businesses with the must-have platform for intelligent marketing automation.

Learn more about ActiveCampaign

Pros:

Automations are really easy to setup, email templates are good and easy to design. What I like the most about this software is user experience.

Cons:

I struggled a bit to get the email function working for my monthly company newsletter but that was mostly because I'd made an error with the segment feature.

ActiveCampaign ratings

4.2
4.4
4.5
4.4

8.4/10

ActiveCampaign has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 2,376 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used ActiveCampaign before?

Filter reviews (2,376)

Founder in US
Financial Services, 2–10 Employees

Powerful Marketing Automation. A bit complex. Great Customer Service.

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Generally very good. I like the product. It is one of the few good marketing automation platforms with a decent CRM.

Pros:

Great customer service and marketing automation capability. Also, it integrates with almost anything.

Cons:

I was using an industry-specific version of the platform, which was not a good fit for my needs. Learning how to get the most out of the marketing automation was rather complex.

Kindsey
CMO in US
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Best email marketing platform out there!

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

The ease of use and simplicity of the platform. I've tried many email platforms and this is my favorite one for email marketing.

Cons:

Nothing - no complaints whatsoever. Active Campaign is the best email marketing platform I've evalutated.

Francesco
Partner in Italy
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Used to be best in class: now they're somewhat lagging behind

3.0 2 months ago New

Comments: WARNING: this review is more of a heads-up for Active Campaign, in case they ever read it :) The product is great, with very high performance and an easy set up if you are not a newbie in the marketing automation space. However:
- the prices have gone up consistently without a serious improvement in features
-despite their position in the market, their integration with woocommerce requires manual coding when it comes to syncing anything different than standard order statuses. In our case, it often happens with Woocomerce subscriptions. This does not mean that you cannot achieve a perfect sync of your ecommerce data, only that the time and testing required would substantially increase the price for our end clients (agency here). This is why whenever there is any custom woocommerce integration to deal with we tend not to advice for Active Campaign.

Pros:

The automation management system is really one of the best on the market. As mentioned, you might have to struggle for deep, manual integration if you have specific ecommerce needs (i.e. subscription products whose membership status needs to trigger actions in the automations) but a part from that their approach is still the best on the market for that, you even have an automation map to keep track of how automations connect to each other.

Cons:

Right now definitely a) the cost: there is a lot of fresher solutions that come for a fraction of AC's licence cost and perform as much as good, if you are willing to close an eye on usability and some specific features. b) data export: AC tries to discourage your migration to other platforms. I.e.: if you want to export all your contacts with the information of the lists they are in, you will have to export each list separately. Also, you can't export ecommerce data together with the contacts, you will need to resync your new platform with your ecommere

Argyris
Argyris
Founder in Malta
Internet, 2–10 Employees

Great value for money

Comments: It's a great product, and their support is great.

Pros:

It's easy to use, it has most of the functionality you need in order to capture leads and target them with campaigns. The tagging system is easy to use. You can easily create custom fields, and group them. Automation work great.

Cons:

The UI needs some fine-tuning. It takes some time to get used to it, but once you do, it's easy to find anything you need and use it.

Jason
Digital Content Specialist in Canada
Research, 51–200 Employees

ActiveCampaign Review

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Create, customize and send high volume outbound marketing emails.

Pros:

It has been less expensive to carry out marketing strategies with ActiveCampaign since it requires zero manual processes.

Cons:

Unavailability of offline access on mobile app is the biggest issue so far.

Christophe
Thérapeute de couple in France
Individual & Family Services, Self Employed

Un autorépondeur complet et puissant

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Simple, quick and reactive are the most valuable arguments.

Cons:

The weakest point is the price of the solution which rises a little too quickly without enough gradation for small websites.

gary
reviewer in UK
Computer Software, Self Employed

Best crm software ive come across

5.0 last month New

Comments: I totally love the staggering adaptability that Active Campaign offers! It enables us to effortlessly design a wide range of components, including those for communication, deal structures, and automations. The stage is a unique advantage in robotizing Client Experience (CX) for different perspectives like offers, lead magnets, bulletins, and changes in status. Beyond a shadow of a doubt, we wind up using its highlights reliably — it's turned into a valued instrument for our tasks!

Pros:

its super effective and has soon become a go to for me

Cons:

its really not beginner friendly although once onboard its great

Dardan
Sr Commercial Partnerships Manager in UK
Events Services, 11–50 Employees

Pretty good CRM

Pros:

It helps me track my pipeline as it gets filled up, so i can accurately define my sales goals and see what I could have incoming

Cons:

It can be tedious to sometimes add contact manually and it doesnt tell me what contacts are already in a deal with a colleague of mine

Renly
Director Marketing in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

My Experience Using ActiveCampaign

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

It makes contact management as well as sales management easy It comes with some great CRM features and handles marketing analytics easily

Cons:

Well, ActiveCampaign has handled our needs perfectly and no dislikes.

Silke
Virtual Assistant in Germany
Online Media, Self Employed

Active Campaign has lost its luster

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Its intuitiv I can automate many things i can adress different targe groups within one system

Cons:

I find deleting the lite plan for 500 contacts really stupid and will unfortunately force me to find a different and therefore cheaper solution for small companies!!!

Aaron
owner in Australia
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

this is the title of my review

Comments: training training training. I have been trialling and training how to use this product the whole 12 months or so Ive been using it

Pros:

love the automation and the campaigns features. I also like that it integrates with my gmail (G Suite) account.

Cons:

some of the features are hidden, the layout is really lacking for easy of use. its hard to find and add tags and lists etc. it seems to have great features but they are hidden away and hard to find.

Charles
General Manager in US
Hospitality, 11–50 Employees

Disorganized & Frustrating

Comments: Our overall experience was pretty negative, one of the more challenging and time wasteful business relationships we have had in quite some time.

Pros:

Our account rep was quite helpful initially and our experience getting set up went fairly smoothly. After the inital set up our account rep pretty much disappeared but when we pressed her to become involved she did set up a call and was helpful.

Cons:

The company has some fairly significant problems related to intracompany communications between departments. The old adage the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing fits Active Campaign perfectly based on our exeprience. About 6 months in we set up a call with our account rep whose analysis was that our account was doing very well from any analytics perspective with very high relative open rates and fairly low/acceptable spam reports, but the bery next day we received an email from a different person and department indicating that our spam complaints were too high and they suspended our service. It was an exptremely poor experience and given the spam numbers displayed on the Active Campaign admin panel made no sense at all. Qe also had a similar negative experience during the onboarding process with our account rep being totally out of the loop. The initial onboarding problems almost caused me to go in a different direction and looking back on it I wish I had folowed my gut instincts at that time, had I made the correct decision and chosen a different provider it would have saved us a lot of time that ended up being wasted.

Foundre in Cyprus
Internet, 2–10 Employees

The best software for your online business and online shop

Comments: I am not an affiliate yet I love Active Campaign, so easy to use. The times I have contacted support, they are responsive and helpful.

Pros:

I absolutely love ActiveCampaign. I have 2 accounts for my 2 businesses and have approx 10+ customers using it also for their online marketing endeavours. It is my go to software that I recommend to all customers. I love how the software is cheap for a startup but also offers really high level of integration for advanced customers. It is solid, easy to use and I cannot honestly recall having an issue with it. It has strong reporting and I love the integration features for Woo Commerce and Shopify also.

Cons:

The only thing that is missing from ActiveCampaign is a simple checkout / payment type offering. So connecting to Paypal / Stripe is doable but not seamless. Apart from that I love it.

Brian
Brian
President in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

The right combination of power, flexibility, and price

Comments: I migrated to Active Campaign after being certified on a top-rated automation platform, and from a direct competitor that did not have an easy-to-use and elegant email editor.

Pros:

The two features that make ActiveCampaign powerful for me are the ease and elegance of creating email templates and campaigns, and the robust automation features. I've been able to accomplish everything I need. The email build is superb. I've been able to integrate Active Campaign via Zapier to every other platform we use.

Cons:

The recent activity panel could be more compact and robust. The overall dashboard could be more informative for at-a-glance assessment of activity. I do wish it included landing page features. I do wish the saved elements could be edited in the email builder and that there was more of a true "style" system with reusable and editable master elements.

Ray
Marketing Manager in US

Easy to Use, some bugginess

Comments: Overall, everything is very nice. The pricing is reasonable, and the additional features were unexpected as I was sort of grandfathered in to them.

Pros:

This is a very legitimate mailchimp competitor, well-priced. The CRM functionality surprising, and there are really nice web insights (WordPress user here) that I could glean at-a-glance & give to my sales team via their plugin/javascript. They just recently added conversations (chatbot) automations, which were great to see. The chatbot was slick & never glitched out on me. It's not quite an Intercom replacement, but if you're not familiar with Intercom you'd be over the moon with this. The email automations are hands-down the best aspect of ActiveCampaign. The automations & workflows are visual-based & made it incredibly easy & user friendly for a once-newly-christened marketer unfamiliar with sequences. There's even a set of 'cookbooks' that are pre-built templates in case you were like me & didn't know where to start.

Cons:

The email builder is a tad clunky. My biggest gripe was when I would create a new link from a template, it would change the color to blue & the font to Arial. Sounds like it's not a big deal, but when you're constantly changing the colors & fonts, it adds to the amount of time you're making an email. It would be nice to be able to add an HTML element in the WYSIWYG editor, instead of bouncing in/out between that & the HTML editor. The CRM is nice, but the deals functionality is fairly light. Not the end of the world unless there's a lot of nuance from deal to deal (like in our industry).

Morgan
Morgan
CEO in US
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

It was wonderful until we needed support

Comments: Initially we were thrilled with AC due to it’s ease of use and speed. However, recently we ran into a major issue that suddenly started showing up, and is preventing us from moving forward on a vital project. We used the chat, and initially the guy on the chat told us it was the fault of another vendor we had integrated with. After going back and forth, he agreed to look into it, and asked for a bit more information. I went to collect that, and when I came back, the chat had ended. Furthermore, when I tried starting a new chat, it said “chat is offline, you will have to send an email.” I noticed that the chat was disconnected and chat went offline at exactly 12 pm Pacific time, corresponding with lunchtime. This is crazy! Who goes offline in the middle of a chat with customers who pay over $200/month for software just so they can take their lunch break exactly on time?
Now I’m really wondering, can I trust AC when it counts? Because this kind of software is expensive enough and complex enough that it absolutely requires good support. So far, I’m not impressed. (Previous less critical support inquiries were eventually answered, but not particularly quickly).

Pros:

AC is very easy to use and to set up. It’s more intuitive than most similar products we’ve tried. When it works right, it’s great.

Cons:

Software like this is complex, and things inevitably break or have bugs. We have used most of the major platforms out there, and they all have periods of bugs and issues. Once you run into it, the only question is this: will support be there to help? Not AC support, not if it’s lunchtime.

Keleigh
Founder in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Consolidated so many tools into one

Comments: Their customer support is beyond great. I’ve sent instant chats to ask questions many times and I’m always impressed by how out of the way their reps go to help me. I even had one rep who built out an entire custom automation for me based on my needs.

Pros:

I held back from investing in ActiveCampaign for over a year because of the overall cost. What I didn’t realize then was that I would be able to cancel FOUR other software subscriptions thanks to the robust suite of features that AC has. This software has played a critical role in my ability to grow my business by over 150% this year and I would recommend it to anyone!

Cons:

I would give my left leg for AC to have mobile functionality. They don’t have an app and the mobile version of their site is non-functional. It quite literally can only be used on a computer. This is the one place where AC is severely behind their competitors.

Letha
Letha
Marketing Director in US
Events Services, 2–10 Employees

Best Value For Your Email Marketing Channel

Comments: In the 8 years that I've been setting clients up it's been worked great. The first client that I setup, still uses it! The features and options are what make AC our go to platform. Moving to AC often reduces our clients tech stack overhead.

Pros:

The combination of the UI and all the features makes this a no-brainer for us. We can easily manage email marketing or set our clients up to do it. In no instance has this been a bad choice. Typically, what makes the difference from the existing platform is the automation features. Our clients get to benefit from automated workflows gaining more engagement without additional costs.

Cons:

I only would like for the dashboard to be more customizable and lead data driven. I think the reporting can be presented better.

Alex
CEO in Portugal
E-Learning, 2–10 Employees

Our company depend on this software

Comments: I have been using ActiveCampaign daily for several years now and it is one of the most important software we use in our company. I am very satisfied and I plan on using it for as long I stay in business.

Pros:

Very easy and user-friendly. It doesn't require a huge and steep learning curve

Cons:

Customer support used to be better before they grew up as big as they are now. They had a live chat on every page and we could ask for help easily. Now, the customer support page is buried and hidden and not as easy to find.

Anastacia
Account Manager in US

ActiveCampaign

Comments: Overall, I like this product and it has a lot of helpful features/ tools within the software itself. So if you plan on using ActiveCampaign for more than just one element then it's definitely worth the time and money to use.

Pros:

I love that this software is just so easy to use on any level. Whether you are experienced with email marketing and automation or if you are new to the team and have never used it before. It's a simple click and drag or click to update etc. It makes it easy to get plenty of support from people on your team who just need to help to complete some simple tasks.

Cons:

The thing I disliked about this software is it a little cluttered. There are so many features and it can be overwhelming if you are only using it for one specific purpose.

Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Best Marketing Automation platform for small and medium enterprises

Comments: I have used different marketing automation platforms and ActiveCampaign is now the best one I can recommend for begginers and SME.

Pros:

ActiveCampaign has all the features that other "premium" platforms also have, but the price and the fast set up are totally a game changer. In a few steps you can provision a marketing automation platform with all the capabilities.

Cons:

For high database and high sending volumes, maybe it's not the best option. Large campaigns could take time in sending.

Luke
Founder in Germany
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

ActiveCampaign is great!

Comments: After nearly two years, I'm very pleased with ActiveCampaign. It's a well thought out feature rich platform. In my opinion there isn't another service on the market that can beat them for what they provide.

Pros:

1. The automations. It makes complex automations easy to understand and seemlessly blends the users interactions in my app with emails in their inbox. 2. The email designer Easy to use and great templates to get you started 3. Reliability & Peace of mind Once you set up your automations it's a great feeling to know that it will run like clockwork. 4. API I was quickly able to interact with ActiveCampaigns API and it runs so perfect! It gives me such power over how users interact with my application. Literally any interaction a user makes with my application, I can capture and add to their contact profile and send them through automations in regards to their actions / inactions. Super Powerful!

Cons:

1. No Sandbox mode There's only one mode to use the software and that's live. This means you have to be mindful when generating software tests as you can end up sending emails to dummy accounts as ActiveCampaign doesn't differentiate between a Live and Sandbox version. I would be super greatful if there was a sandbox mode that could be used for testing my applications and not worry about passing dummy contacts through automations etc. 2. Subscription model can be a little bit pricey if not utilized When I began using ActiveCampaign I was starting a fresh business, so my mail list was 0 at the time. It took me sometime to get accustomed to it & test integrations etc. This setup time and any other non-marketing time still costs money with the current subscription model. I would personally prefer a usage based fee based on features and emails sent. 3. No built-in suggestions to get more emails in the Primary folder. It may be wishful thinking as the goalposts are often moved by what is deemed as falling under "Promotions", nevertheless there could be more done to get emails in the Primary Inbox at the time of creating emails. I would really appreciate a "likelihood of reaching the primary inbox" meter before creating campaigns. This could be difficult to implement but I feel it would help alot of new users and people new to email marketing.

Anthony
Growth Director in UK
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use and well priced for the features you get

Comments: This is the second business I've implemented ActiveCampaign into - and on both occassions it has delivered tremendous value with quick setup and easy to use features for all users (even those who required onboarding as a first time user).

Pros:

The marketing automation sequences are easy to visualise and build - with options to integrate directly into most CRM solutions for easy lead capture and management. The email deliverability is robust and the pricing model is significantly better value than most in the market for each new 'tier' of contacts.

Cons:

It would be great to have a live chat function for any quick workarounds however the ticket support is relatively quick to respond (usually <24 hours).

Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

An excellent solution, if you have the budget and need

Comments: I really enjoyed using ActiveCampaign because it gave me a full range of tools and features to manage my marketing campaigns and automate certain tasks. The platform is easy to use and very intuitive. Also, I found their support to be very helpful and responsive which made the experience even better. Overall, I'm very satisfied with my experience with ActiveCampaign.

Pros:

I particularly appreciated the variety of tools and features offered by Activ Campagne. The platform offers a wide range of intuitive tools to make it easier to send and track marketing campaigns and more complex marketing tasks. Plus, built-in APIs allow complex campaigns and processes to be instantly planned and managed. Finally, the excellent customer service ensures that users receive the information they need when they need it.

Cons:

What I liked least about ActiveCampaign is its price. Although the platform offers excellent value for money, the price may be prohibitive for some companies on a budget. Moreover, very advanced features may also exceed their capabilities. However, I think for companies with the budget, the platform is a great option.

Casey
Product Manager in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Good experience

Comments: Ultimately it's a good product and analytics don't lie, it helped. Expect to spend time training or pay for a walk through.

Pros:

Active Campaign is good. Full of features but no bugs, no limit on campaigns. Avoid losing opens and clicks to the spam folder and see a map of subscribers who are opening. The prices on their plans are fair and competitive. The design experience is good.Conditional Elements will dissappear if the recipient is using a mobile device and others will appear based on criteria such as subscriber history. Marketing automation is a hot feature with RSS, A/B, and dated options.

Cons:

I wouldn't call it intuitive or user friendly. The full on walk through is only available to plus customers for free, everyone else has to pay.