• Overall
    4.6/5
    4.6/5
    4.4/5

About Toggl

Leading cloud based time tracking software for small and big teams. Easy to implement, great reports, multi-device and offline support.

Learn more about Toggl

Showing 1,004 reviews

Narendra V.
Co-founder
  • Reviewed on 02/05/2019

"Awesome time tracking app!"

Comments: I am using Toggl since 2017. And everyone at SprintCube is using Toggl for tracking their time. This helps me to focus on important things instead of micromanaging. We use it for all our activities like meetings, development, calls, and what not. Also, this data helps us to negotiate with clients!! We can also have different reports which help us to identify the areas where and how much our time is invested. Overall, this app is awesome and helps us to be more productive!

Pros: Toggl is a full-featured time tracking application. - It is very simple to use.
- It provides features like idle time detection, tracking reminder.
- The app is available for all the platforms like desktop, mobile, and web. You can even integrate into the Chrome browser to easily track time on any third-party application like BitBucket, GitLab, Jira, etc.
- Powerful reports with export option. You can filter the time entries by project, client or user.
- An option to create different workspaces which help to be more organized.
- You can create a client, their projects and also assign a team to track everyone's time.
- An option to assign tags to time entries. This helps to filter reports.
- Everything is synced in the cloud, so we can use it from anywhere. Also, we don't have to worry about data backup.
- The paid version has more advanced features, but I haven't used them yet as the free version provides most of the features that I need!

Cons: In the free version, it provides all the basic features. But still, I miss the following things. - In reports, the time entries are not grouped by date.
- The number of users in a team is just 5. It would be great to have at least 10 users for small agencies which can't afford the paid version.

• Reviewed on 02/05/2019
Lisandro R.
Marketing
E-Learning, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2019

"Toggl is the best time tracking software"

Comments: We've been using Toggl in our business for over a year. It's key to track the time it takes to do certain tasks. We didn't know that when we started and we weren't tracking anything. When we found that out, we started tracking our times manually (writing the time of start and the time we ended in Evernote) This activity itself took too much time. But when we discovered Toggl it was productivity-changing! It's essential for our daily activities now. We considered many options like RescueTime and others I don't remember but found Toggl to be the most straightforward/easy to use

Pros: How EASY it is to use the features. I love that it remembers past entries so you don't need to retype any frequent activities. Also, the reports are really detailed. And I really appreciate it when I get an email from Toggl because I forgot to stop the timer; really useful!

Cons: The fact that it has not a mobile version of their site. The Toggl app was a total mess since the day I installed even though they tried to fix the issues updating the app several times (and even making a NEW app) but with no results. So when using my phone, I rely on their website to access my Toggl timer and reports but it looks terrible on phones. Also, their reports are not directly accessed via the Toggl desktop program but it opens the website (so when I have no internet access I cannot see it; it would be cool if I could).

• Reviewed on 14/10/2019
Anthony M.
Operations Manager
Retail, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/04/2020

"The perfect time tracker"

Pros: The ease of ability in creating projects, clients, and tags, puts Toggl leaps and bound above similar products on the market. I now use it for all of my professional (both my 9-to-5 and my freelance gigs) and academic projects.

Cons: Nothing. Everything about Toggl is incredible.

• Reviewed on 08/04/2020
Sven E.
Web Developer
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 30/04/2019

"Time tracking that doesn't feel like wasting time"

Comments: I'm using Toggl daily to track and manage my time.

Pros: It's extremely easy to get going with Toggl. It's also extremely quick to get used to. And in general: Toggl is quick.
Entering & categorising tasks & starting and stopping time tracking for any particular activity is super fast & frictionless. It's obvious that Toggl doesn't want you to waste time with their software, they want you to get things done. And that core idea becomes apparent in every interaction with their app. It's minimalist, to the point of seeming spartanic, with no fluffy UI features and no fancy animations. Toggl doesn't need any of that and the developers know it.
Perhaps the only selling point more important than its ease of use & no-nonsense UI is the fact that Toggls API can be integrated with almost any other service. It's also extremely easy to write your own scripts & actions for Toggl because their API, much like the App itself, is extremely easy to use.

Cons: While the mobile & web parts of Toggl are well maintained & fit the "frugal" UI design beautifully, the macOS desktop app can seem uninviting and almost "broken" if you don't know what your getting into.

• Reviewed on 30/04/2019
Michael B.
  • Reviewed on 16/03/2020

"There's no reason to use any other software for your time tracking"

Comments: I feel like such a freeloader because I've always used the free version of toggl and it has been more than I need for all of my time tracking needs. I started out using it as a freelancer, and it still works at the free level for me even with a couple of team members. I absolutely love Toggl, so the least I can do is leave this review for them.

Pros: I love the simple interface and how it provides the option to discard your inactive time (for those cases where you leave your desk and forget to pause your timer), keep your time as part of your existing time tracking project, or save the time to a new time tracking project.

Cons: I've been using the software for over 5 years. Initially there were some hiccups, but that has all been ironed out now. This is as close as you get to perfect software that does exactly what you want it to do.

• Reviewed on 16/03/2020
Producer
Entertainment, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2019

"Best Time Tracker, hands down!"

Comments: My time was slipping away and I didn't know where it was all going. Waiting for files to render means 4-10 minutes of time twiddling my thumbs; then picking up on some other task like replying to emails that I would like to do for the ten minutes. That quickly turns into 40 minutes and then the momentum is gone! I don't know how long Ive been working on what and then all of a sudden its 5pm and its all over! Toggl makes the day seem worth it. When you can accurately track your time you can see where you are slipping up; going over; losing money and it helps get over the pitfalls of a busy and variety filled work day. If you work with multiple clients, have many different types of tasks, or you want to know how much to bill a client (a function I didnt use it for as I work for myself) Toggl is the job. I can think of so many more uses for it that don't apply to me or my business but its robust and really well integrated with loads of other apps.

Pros: Toggl is so easy to use! There is an auto function that gathers info on what you are doing on your computer and you can then review the items in 15 minute chunks; by app, by webpage or by document. Its such an easy way to automatically track your time so you aren't fussing with buttons etc. Really easy and beautiful interface too. The app integrations are great and work with apps like Asana and Trello really well.

Cons: Some small bugs when switching from apps too quickly and the mobile app doesn't have the same amount of functionality as the desktop version (which is to be expected of course) Other than that its pretty solid.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2019
Technology Consultant
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2019

"A solid offering in the time-tracking space."

Comments: Overall, it does what I need to. I have tried many MANY time tracking softwares over the years, including the time tracker included with FreshBooks - which you would think I'd use as it integrates directly with my billing - but I kept coming back to and using Toggl, despite the few hiccups I encounter.

Pros: The key for me here is its ability to integrate with my project management software: Asana. Beyond that, I think they have a good cross-platform presence with their easy-to-use mobile app and, desktop (Windows) app and web app; I use all 3 regularly but the desktop client the most. Oh yeah, and the Chrome extension.

Cons: Its cross-platform nature also proves to be a challenge (at lest for me). There are 4 places I set it up (see Pros) and sometimes they conflict / send duplicate messages / aren't in sync or don't sync very quickly. If you're on one computer, this isn't an issue but when moving between devices this isn't as seamless as I'd like. Part of this might be attributed to my own connectivity challenges at times and the configuration of each client on every system. The thing is, I don't need notifications from the web app and desktop client and the desktop client on my laptop next to me. But the Chrome extension is required to sync with Asana and I prefer to use the desktop client when, well, I'm at my desktop. So... short of going in and honing which notifications show where, it remains an issue. I have done this, yet I tend to format my system a few times a year and having no way to "remember" these settings becomes a pain. I also spend more time than I'd like correcting tags, and making sure tasks are categorized properly. There's an odd bug in the Asana integration that forces me to use a mouse to add tags rather than keeping my hands on my keyboard. A small nitpick but it does mess with my flow.

• Reviewed on 04/12/2019
April S.
Virtual Assistant
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2019

"Simple, easy to use time tracker "

Comments: I use it to keep track of time by certain clients. One client originally requested that I use it and since it was so easy to use, I started using it for other clients and projects.

Pros: What I like the most about this is that is it super easy to use! For straight forward time tracking, it works great. You can break down your time by clients, projects, etc.

Cons: There is not much to say that is negative. If you're looking for a straight forward time tracker to use for yourself or employees, this will work.

• Reviewed on 29/07/2019
Konrad S.
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2020

"One of the best time tracking software for a very small company"

Comments: I've been using for a few years as a freelancer. For a small company it seems to be too expensive (a lot of features are not really needed for us) so we decided to choose a different app. If they will provide some simple task management tool or even a kanban board we will consider giving it a chance once again :)

Pros: Easy to use, intutive, generating reports was very usefull to calculate how much we should charge a client. Application for Linux to remind that we should stop time tracking or pause was very helpfull. It's one of the best app to track a time for a very small company.

Cons: They provide a lot of integrations with different services but i wanted to have time-tracking and project/task management in one place. Second thing is a pricing. For a bigger team it seems to be rather expensive when we compare it with a free version (up to 5 users) and it's not adding a lot of usefull features.

• Reviewed on 07/02/2020
Yaroslav K.
Information Technology Major
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/02/2020

"The best racker tool out there! "

Comments: I am using Toggl daily for all of my projects to track time and my performance on them

Pros: If you think about the tracker tool, there is not much that comes to mind. And yet, the team behind Toggl managed to not only make a nice looking tool. They made a robust machine that does so so much and makes work very interesting and organized. I love using Toggl for all my projects!

Cons: I would appreciate a bit more integrations, like better email and todo apps and calendar integrations that would work better. Other then that, I can see where the team is going and i Love it.

• Reviewed on 08/02/2020
Lindsay V.
Operations Administrator
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/08/2018

"We haven't considered changing tools since the beginning!"

Comments: We have employees that use the Toggl Chrome extension and others using the desktop version. We also have it on our mobile devices. We run reports for payroll and we run reports to see how much time we spend doing a, b or c, and therefore, we are able to see what profit or loss we accumulated on a specific project, based on our original quote. It's not too complex nor too simple to meet our needs.

Pros: Toggl allows an employer to see all employees' details in one "team" location. The reports are wonderful. Toggl is easy to use. It connects well with other tools like Asana. Very few (if any) glitches/bugs on the important things. Aesthetically clean and easy to navigate. Updates quickly. I receive a weekly report of hours worked, classified by time spent per project. Great tagging system. Allows you to list your clients and projects so that everything stays organized. You can also add a description for any entry. Can easily pick up where you left off without having to re-enter the details of what you're working on. Great searching feature that allows you to see all work done in a time period, by group of employees, with certain key word or with one or multiple tags.

Cons: It would be nice if you could customize the reports more. For example, I would like to print a PDF of a report showing all time entries but not showing who was the user for each entry. There have also been some features that I've struggled to figure out how to navigate or turn off and on. For example, Toggl started creating a new entry every time I paused and resumed instead of resuming the same entry. Once resolved, it has worked great, but it took me a while to figure out what setting was causing the issue.

• Reviewed on 10/08/2018
Nathan B.
Environmental Scientist
Civil Engineering, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2018

"Super simple clean time tracking software, though recent changes make it less useful"

Comments: It's the best cloud based time tracking option out there, period.

Pros: I love that Toggl is quick to set up new projects and get to work. It shouldn't be a big deal to start tracking your time, because it's such a minimalistic task, but a lot of time trackers make it a big thing to start a project. I also like that it's cloud based, so no matter which office I'm working from, it's not a big deal. I like that it takes time entries in various formats (like I can type in 1h, or 60:00, or 1:00 and it understands them all), and I like that it's painless to switch projects (which I do every time a co-worker comes to ask me a question).

Cons: I don't like the recent changes that don't let you see your history without generating a report. I also wish it integrated with Google Calendar/Outlook and would automatically import meetings/scheduled events and tag them with the correct project (or ask me if they ought to be tagged). I also don't like that it runs until you turn it off, without reminders or updates - like it'll run 8 hours and send me a reminder, but if I ignore that single note, it stops. I would like it to send multiple updates, or have the ability to cut off, and to send me a notification/alert to start it again the next morning, because sometimes I'll forget and come back two days later to find 48 hours tracked to a single project.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2018
Laura D.
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2018

"When I get this app set up, I'll be able to track multiple projects!"

Comments: Better organization of workflow in my business and clearer understanding of where I'm making money and losing money!

Pros: Ability to track multiple activities - my time spent on marketing my biz, billable time with clients, research hours, learning time, and if I want to track personal time I can. I want to do more with less and tracking hours for billing uses lots of time. This was recommended to me as a time saving organizational tool. The free version is fairly robust (good details on their website https://toggl.com/feature-list/) and the help files are good. I'm a solopreneur, have started with the free version. It allows Up to 5 team members, Unlimited Projects, Reliable reporting plus 26 other features. The Starter version is isn't a huge expense and has 41 features compared to 29 features in the free version. The Billable Rates and Rounding in Reports, and Save Reports for easy access are the two features that will be most time-saving for me. Since I'm planning to scale up, it would be useful to track subcontractors' time working on specific projects.

Cons: The app will track lots of different things so it is kind of complicated to set up. I first tried to set Toggl up on my phone as I will be tracking most of my hours on my phone. This wasn't 100% successful as my phone is small, and typing and reading details is a bit tricky. I decided to set it up on my computer then track time there and on my phone depending on where I'm working. I wanted to set up as accurately as possible to utilize it well. It's much easier to open new windows for help files and tutorials while on the computer. The free version is very useful and I like seeing all my projects and how my time is spread among them. However, I was disappointed that the feature that would streamline my processes the most - creating billable time entries - requires purchasing a paid plan. (I recognize this is smart marketing for the growth of the business.)

• Reviewed on 10/06/2018
Raitis G.
Growth and Performance Marketer
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2019

"The easiest to use time tracker out there"

Comments: Go for it if you need to start tracking your time without every beginning of an entry requiring you to type in a load information before the timer starts. Try with patience if you plan to use the browser version and the app simultaneously as the sync is way off. If you only stick to a single device to start and stop, be it the mobile app or browser version - it's all good. P.S. It might be that the desktop app solves this issue, but I'm not overly fond of installing something separately.

Pros: + I needed something that I can start and edit later to avoid distractions. This does it perfectly. You can start a timer and give it a description and project later (a surprisingly small amount of products had this).
+ A great set of features even for a free user (report exports, long history).
+ Handy renaming of more than a single entry.

Cons: - The one and only thing that frustrates me is the awful sync between the desktop and mobile. I have since stopped using the mobile app and keep a tab open on my PC to start and stop when I need it. Not a huge issue for me as time tracking is usually work related.

• Reviewed on 14/12/2019
E-commerce Fraud and Payments Management
Internet, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/07/2019

"Efficent tool for time/project management"

Comments: This program helped the team to have a realistic understanding of the actual time spend in different activities. This allowed us to plan better our work and projects for the next months. We have also used it to measures the request we receive from external team in order to decide if in the future, we we can manage them internally or not.

Pros: If you don't have a lot of experience in project management or you start managing a task that is outside your daily work, it is very easy to underestimate the amount of time you need to complete it. This can cause your employees to be upset or be frustrated when trying to reach unrealistic deadlines.
Toggl is a very simple tool, but help you understand how many time you have dedicated to a task so you will have a better understanding in how your time is allocated in certain activities. This is very useful when showing clients or management how much time and resources was really needed for each project phase.
Toggl offers the ability to label projects, create groups and sends reminders when you left your timer running for too long. It also have a reporting sessions that is mainly basic but contains all the important information you might need for simple reports, To start working with the tool is very easy and it requires only a few minutes to create your account and set up.

Cons: My only complaint so far is the trial version allows you to add only 5 team members on your group. It is a pity, because this small limit, does not allow you to understand how powerful this tool is when managing the tasks/times of big teams

• Reviewed on 17/07/2019
Brandon Z.
Web Designer
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2017

"Full featured and easy to use."

Comments: Toggl makes it extremely easy for me to track time spent on various tasks/projects/clients. After trying Toggl for myself, I finally understand why they're so popular.

Pros: In comparing several time-tracking tools, Toggl ended up being the clear winner. Toggl has an interface that looks nice and is user friendly. When trying to track the time I spend working on a project, it is imperative that the process of the logging the time is as frictionless as possible. Toggl did a great job. Hours was a close tie in terms of the web app experience. Hours looked a little nicer, but was a little too minimalistic. Toggl provided the tools I actually needed. But the Mac app is what really sealed the deal for Toggl. There are times when I forget to stop the timer, and the Mac app allows Toggl to detect idle time and ask me if I want to keep it or discard it. This is absolutely a must-have feature. I should also mention: The chronological view of when and for how long I've worked on projects/clients in a given day: This was also a feature I wanted to have, and luckily Toggle includes in the "Timeline" view.

Cons: There's an awesome feature called Timeline which shows you a graph of what programs your using as you work on different projects... at least I think that's what it does. So far it hasn't populated with any data. It's supposed to pull data from the Mac app if you have "Record Timeline" checked, but it's not. Toggl sent out a nice "Need any help" type email and I took advantage of this to ask about the Timeline issue. However, I haven't received any reply. Hopefully they'll reply eventually... One minor con: In the chronological view (Timeline) you can't click on the timeline to manually input some time. This is nice and easy in Hours. Hours also makes it so easy to know when "now" is. In toggl, the current time isn't indicated. Unfortunate, but not a deal breaker.

• Reviewed on 13/10/2017
Emilie G.
Event Production Coordinator
Events Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2019

"Very handy tool for keeping track of time spent on multiple projects"

Comments: I love using Toggl to track my time as a freelancer! My clients appreciate that I can give them an exact breakdown of where my time goes, and it helps me maintain focus on my various projects.

Pros: As a freelancer that needs to keep track of my hours spent working for multiple clients and across multiple projects, I LOVE Toggl. I cannot stress enough how much easier this has made it for me to track my time and accurately assess what I'm spending the most time on. I especially love:
- Toggl's free plan includes enough basic features that you can get a good feel for the software without having to commit
- Ability to break down tasks within projects means helps keep timesheets as specific as possible, which my clients appreciate
- Chrome extension is very easy to use, and reminds me to track my time whenever I'm online
- Autotracker and idle time features are both extremely helpful for holding me accountable + keeping my hours accurate

Cons: In my opinion, Toggl is the best time-tracking software on the market right now. That being said, if I had to list potential future improvements:
- As someone that multitasks / hops around between projects pretty regularly, I wish there was a way to run multiple timers at once or otherwise account for this
- Mobile app, while a handy offering, isn't as easy to navigate as the desktop application

• Reviewed on 31/01/2019
Dipin R.
Technical Support Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2018

"Best ever time tracking app"

Pros: The best part about Toggle is that I can see all my representative detail in one look! The application is basic and direct to utilize and route. We can get to the undertakings by means of work area PC, versatile or any gadget. We can include notes and remarks for every section, subsequently its simple to sort and compose passages. Accessibility highlight is exceptionally hearty, with only a watchword I get every one of the insights about the undertakings. I simply love the manner in which it identifies inert time and tells me if to dispose of it. Base clients like us can utilize the free form, it gives a considerable measure of highlights. You get the opportunity to perceive how well the assignments have advanced on consistent schedule. Indeed, even the essential form has awesome announcing and fare highlights, be it Pdf or word or exceed expectations, no stresses!

Cons: The vast majority of the organizations for the most part incline toward a venture administration framework with a period following module instead of only a period tracker, so if the application would give venture administration as well, it would be simply heavenly! There were circumstances I experienced bugs as I had to go at exchanging between workstations. We can't utilize the device in disconnected mode.

• Reviewed on 13/10/2018
Sebastian P.
Web Analytics Consultant
Internet, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/02/2016

"Overall an amazing app you must have to TRACK Your Time & also for your people !"

Comments: I really love this app and I think more people need to have this time tracking application in their toolkit for 2016. I tested a lot of apps like this but Toggl really impressed me not only by the features, performance, design and cost effective but also by the fast responses I got from Toggl Team. They sent to me also some interesting gifts in february 2016 and I really think I will recommend to all of my clients (I already shared it on my twitter and other online social networks as well) I depend on it so much. I can't imagine another week without toggl reports that shows me where my time was spent, if I was effective or not and so much more. It's so important to know your cashflow and there are a lot of tools out there for tracking that, but what are you using for your "timeflow" ??? Toggl cames with a lot of amazing features here like, clean design, amazing suport, performance in place, available for android, windows, in browser, applications and so on... Toggl has been also my #1 go to for recording my time to bill clients. I couldn't even imagine manually writing time down :)) I think that Toggl is indeed extremely helpful in making sure that everyone knows how they are spending at least their work life so they can identify the trends, patterns and repetitive things that consume this precious resource called "time" ! I'm so grateful to have found it! Thank you Toggl for helping me keep my time straight and helping my Business !

Pros: Amazing support
Easy to Use
Great Performance
"sexy" reports
Clean Design
Having a Clean Dashboard with the important information time-related
& more :)
Overall, let's face it...is just an App..but an Amazing one you should try it to Increase the quality of your life and Performance of your Business by spending the time in a more efficient & effective way as possible !

Cons: I can't use it without having the Internet On. (will be a great idea to have an option to track the time spent on your laptop and when you have the wiffi available again to sync the time)

• Reviewed on 17/02/2016
Chadsey L.
Marketing Manager
Religious Institutions, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2018

"Super easy to use"

Comments: Wonderful, no real complaints so far and making the switch to Toggl has been great. We have converted most of our team to Togggl and are excited to bring in some of the integrations that come with paid plans to be able to eliminate some of the admin duties and close some of the cracks we find in communication from time to time.

Pros: The lack of ads is wonderful! I use the free version and have found Toggl makes things much simpler for me. The reporting is great and the amount of tools offered in the free version is great. I switched from another product and my reporting of where my time is going has never been more detailed and has helped me keep on track. Tracking time is super quick and easy, especially on task that I do week after week, Toggl stores the information and auto-populates so it saves me those few seconds and gets me working faster. I love it. I also love sending in such a detailed and good looking timesheet each period, way better than just a csv boring spreadsheet. I know we are only scratching the surface with what Toggl can do, hopefully as we grow our Toggl use and team will grow too to be able to streamline even more with their integrations.

Cons: The only thing so far that inconveniences me is the inability to export reports on the Android app. I don't know if that is something that is coming to it eventually, or if that is only available with a different level of plan. But I am 80% of the time mobile and need to send in reports on the go, which isn't too much of a problem that I am always with a laptop. But having to go that extra step does cost me a few minutes here and there. Exporting from mobile would be a huge help.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2018
Management Consulting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 22/08/2019

"Perfect Timekeeping for COnsultants"

Comments: As an independent management consultant, I need to keep track of the hours I spend working on various projects with multiple clients. Not only does this help me bill appropriately, it also helps the client know exactly where their money is going when they work with me. This is the first program I tried for timekeeping and over two years, I have never felt the need to switch to try or switch to any other program.

Pros: I have used Toggl from the moment I started my consulting business. I love that it has both the "timer" feature as well as the "manual" feature, which is what I use the most. I appreciate how I can have unlimited clients and projects for those clients. The reports I can run from Toggl are perfect: I can run by week, month, or custom time period and by client + all projects, or just by project. I run & download the colorful monthly reports and provide this information to my clients, and they really appreciate the detail. Toggl is easy to use, has great features even in the free version, and does everything I need for it to do.

Cons: I have yet to find anything about Toggle that I don't like. I recommend it to every consultant that I meet who asks "What do you use to keep track of your time?"

• Reviewed on 22/08/2019
Amanda G.
Amanda Gibbs
Automotive, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/02/2017

"Simple, easy time tracking"

Comments: I've used Toggl for the past few years as a quick and inexpensive way to track my time between multiple projects and report the ratio of time spent between them. The software boasts plenty of features for the base/free version (which is the version I use) along with basic reporting. The design is attractive and minimal while the time-tracking pages are easy to use and view. I would recommend this product to others looking for a basic time tracking software.

Pros: I love the minimal, user-friendly design of this software. Daily time-tracking is easy to complete and view in list-view. I am currently using the free version and really appreciate the reporting tools they provide, even for base users.

Cons: There are a few bugs here and there with Toggl when switching between workspaces, but they haven't deterred me from using the product. When trying to view a report for a workspace it seems that you need to have it set as your primary workspace, there is no way to switch between different workspaces in the reporting tab.

• Reviewed on 23/02/2017
Melissa D.
Founder + Creative Director
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 02/11/2018

"Easiest time tracker you'll ever use"

Pros: I like that Toggl is easy to use. Minimal setup required. Create your account and start tracking your time. I also like that the system gives you the ability to add client names, and create different projects under one client "folder". The system sends you handy weekly summaries to show you how many hours you spent on your projects over the previous week. You can generate reports to send to clients, as well as get an overview over the last few months to see how your time was divided amongst projects. Even if you don't bill hourly (I don't), it still helps you determine how long you've taken on a project, so that you can better estimate how long a certain type of project takes you. This way you can bill more accurately and helps to ensure that you're making profit.

Cons: I wish there were more colours to choose from when assigning clients a colour. Once I've used them all once, it becomes more of a challenge to quickly associate clients with colours in my mind. But that's pretty minor. But I think that's a potential improvement for future (albeit a small one).

• Reviewed on 02/11/2018
Mark D.
Director of Operations & Data Management
Higher Education, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/08/2018

"Really helpful to see how you're spending your time"

Comments: I credit our use of Toggl as a primary driver in getting additional resources in our department. We were able to visually prove how much time was spent on entry level tasks by staff who were trained to do much higher level tasks. We used the data collected from Toggl to advocate for an entry level staff person to free time up for others to work on higher level, more big picture work.

Pros: Very easy to set-up and use. You can create projects and group tasks together to get an idea for a given week how much time you spent in meetings, on a project, or working on specific tasks. It allowed me to advocate for myself and my team for additional resources as we were able to prove how much time we spent on a weekly basis doing tasks that could be delegated or improved. The ability to provide my leadership team a visual representation of my time and my staffs time was invaluable during budgeting and resource allocation time. You were able to manually enter time if you forgot to start your clock or end the clock. Toggl has countless integrations so you're always able to start and stop time and accurately record your time from any device, anywhere.

Cons: No major issues to report. Obviously, it's incumbent upon the user to record their time accurately. Overall, the experience was tremendous and I have not complaints.

• Reviewed on 02/08/2018
  • Reviewed on 09/05/2018

"Toggl was a great way to track our time, until we found something better"

Comments: It was very easy to get staff up and running and trained on how you use the application. We liked the visual indicators to differentiate between projects, and the various views to see daily and weekly progress.
We definitely improved our tracking, and therefore our billing, and the ability to quickly and easily switch to different projects meant there was little to no downtime for our staff.

Pros: Toggl was a great find when we started realizing we needed to do a better job of tracking time. The best features are the easy to use UI, and a display that shows the user a task by task view of how their day progressed, as well as a consolidated weekly view where you can see a more holistic view of where time was spent. The dropdown project selections are very intuitive and when you forget to stop tracking, it is easy to add manual time.

Cons: A downside to adding manual time is that you have to interrupt your time tracking to do it, unless it was earlier in the day. Ultimately, what made us move away from Toggl is that we realized we were paying for multiple tools that were really good at 1-2 things, and we needed a more complete system. We ended up migrating off of Toggl and a few other applications for a more robust project management system that also had a time tracking module, saving the company quite a bit of money in doing so.

• Reviewed on 09/05/2018