15 years helping Australian businesses

About Basecamp

Basecamp is a team collaboration system designed to be straightforward, easy for teams to adopt, and perfect for team managers.

Learn more about Basecamp

Pros:

I like that you can give access to each project to whomever you please and those people can see their own to-dos and also others. I like that it integrates with Tick.

Cons:

There is no way for me to delete an inappropriate comment from a parent.

Basecamp ratings

4.3
4.3
4.2
4.2

8.0/10

Basecamp has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 14,440 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Basecamp before?

Filter reviews (14,440)

Faisal Faruque
Faisal Faruque
Digital Marketing Analyst in Bangladesh
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Basecamp made managing my team members easier than ever!

Comments: You can call it the Jack of All Trades. Before using Basecamp I had to use a lot of apps for different purposes. For example, one to-do app, another file-sharing app, another messaging app, and so on. It hampered my productivity. But luckily I found Basecamp and this thing got me covered. Now I can have fewer meetings with my team members and save time to do something productive. The integration with other app made it the real hero. I can automate my tasks on Basecamp by using popular integration services and those work seamlessly with Basecamp.

Pros:

I have been using Basecamp for a while now. I am genuinely in love with the overall user interface of this platform. It is very easy to use and intuitive. The free plan of the Basecamp is quite generous and it is enough for most of the users. This is why I love this tool so much. But there are some other features that are really helping me to manage my remote team. I can easily assign tasks with deadlines. The email notification system and the mobile app added to the overall value of this tool. I observed that it loads faster on any device with a slower internet connection. This is why my team members even from countries with slow internet can easily access this tool. Overall, the experience is top-notch and I recommend everyone to use this tool.

Cons:

There is nothing that I hate about this product. But I think the amazing developer team behind this tool can bring some improvements to the existing features. The price for the Business Plan is quite affordable for large teams. But if they can bring some affordable paid plan for the individual users it would be so much helpful.

Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Basecamp Takes Your Team to the Summit!

Comments: Basecamp is the gold standard for teams that have a high value on time and project/task management!

Pros:

Basecamp has a lot of great tools and features "out of the box" that make project/task management easily done while setting clear prioritize to maximize productivity.

Cons:

There isn't much to put here! The biggest challenge was internal adoption and use, which was no issue once they got to know the lay of the land in Basecamp.

Mayra
Analyst in Colombia
Civil Engineering, 51–200 Employees

Basecamp Review

4.0 last month New

Comments: Overall, I will give BaseCamp a 4 out of 5 stars

Pros:

It saves you a lot of time and highlights what is important for task scheduling; and high performance to work on multiple projects, It works flawlessly, is very intuitive

Cons:

Sometimes their customer support system is a bit slow

war
PM in US
Consumer Goods, 2–10 Employees

Basecamp service is deplorable

1.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

I have nothing good to say about basecamp.

Cons:

customer service is weak. I asked to cancel the service. I have been waiting 6 months

Tichaona Redemptor
Tichaona Redemptor
chief information officer in South Africa
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Flexible Event Creation platform

Comments: My overall experience with Basecamp has been quite positive! Basecamp’s project management features streamline workflows, enhance communication, and keep projects on track. It’s a powerful toolkit for modern teams!

Pros:

Basecamp provides a single, organized space for all project-related activities. Whether it’s discussions, tasks, files, or schedules, everything resides within a project’s dedicated page.

Cons:

For new users, Basecamp’s interface can be a bit overwhelming initially. The abundance of features and options might take some time to get used to.

Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Task management

Comments: Helped me in project management and other quality assurance role with my team members for and effective outcome

Pros:

Base camp helps in task management,chat real time within team members,truck project and also notify users or team of any project to be done

Cons:

It is okay to use just need time to understand and navigate through the interface for effective collaboration

Christian
Technical Lead in France
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Project Management Made Easy

4.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

During a recent project, my team and I tracked our progress, shared files, and discussed updates all within Basecamp. This streamlined our workflow and improved our efficiency.

Cons:

It took my team some time to get used to the layout and find where everything was. This made the initial setup slower than expected.

Banking, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Good tool for collaboration with agencies

5.0 last month New

Pros:

You can create tasks for your agency, set up the deadline. Chat under the task if something is not clear. You can upload files. You see a clear timeline of "events" - what particular users did (comment, upload file,..)

Cons:

You cannot open some files within Basecamp, you have to download it.

Erika
Campus Dining Manager in US
Higher Education, 501–1,000 Employees

Great Organization/Planning

5.0 last month New

Pros:

The ability to have all the projects located in one spot

Cons:

Some users had a hard time navigating the message board

Hospital & Health Care, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Basecamp will Keep you Going

Comments: Overall a great competitor in the space and we would consider them again in the future.

Pros:

It has a very user friendly interface, there is a mobile app to work alongside the web application. It has common features that are in parity with other services.

Cons:

There is a lot of hidden costs that creep in and sometimes they didn't catch up to the features that should be offered.

Christopher
Creative Manager in US
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Gather around the fire, Basecamp is here!

Comments: Basecamp felt fun to use and really made us feel that we were optimizing our workflows in terms of assigning tasks and work flows.

Pros:

Basecamp's user interface has changed over the years and has become for easier for clients and client facing individuals. Basecamp became a part of a sales pitch in terms of giving access to clients to a platform where we were accessible and there to help them.

Cons:

Basecamp has a lot of bells and whistles that are not immediately apparent. We did have to do a little digging under the hood in order to take advantage of some key features!

Lawrence
Account Manager in UK
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

The hub for all great quality projects

Comments: Our experience with Basecamp has been very positive. It has been a greatly important tool for the management of efficient and timely projects. The features within Basecamp have been positively used by the vast majority of our clients and create a really collaborative and team-like feel around the projects.

Pros:

The best thing about Basecamp is that it provides a secure and easily accessible central hub for your project. It is easy to invite all key project stakeholders and has features that allow for quick and easy discussion around the project, easy communications of important notices and action points and acts as a central storage place that gives everyone oversight to essential project documents and files. Basecamp also provides an accurate project timeline based around the actions of the individuals who use it, meaning that assists with project traceability and track. In addition it will also send automated reminders to the inboxes of those registered which is a fantastic feature for keeping on top of all project details. These reminder emails can be customised to specific individuals which means you can easily reach/remind/engage with the action point owner.

Cons:

The main frustration with Basecamp is the updating of personnel profiles when the original creator has left the company. For example, I have needed to update the job titles and email addresses associated with people for accounts I have inherited after my predecessor has left the company. However, this action is blocked as I was not the original creator which was highly frustrating.

Broadcast Media, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Basecamp is the best all user portal!

Comments: Our team has always been collaborative but with Basecamp used as a tool, we have been able to increase our collaborative spirit. In addition, we have been able to accomplish projects and tasks faster because it gives us a way to share which piece we are working on and thus eliminating duplication.

Pros:

I love Basecamp! I think it is a great software for keeping tabs on projects and people you work with. It is a collaborative space for users to update each other on what parts of the project they are working on or finishing up. It gives our team the balance needed to ensure no one is working on the same thing or on overlapping projects. It has been a huge asset and we have all loved watching the progression of projects and campaigns we are working on. It has many settings so you can really set it up based on how your team would best thrive.

Cons:

One con is that this product could easily turn into a micromanaging tool for bad managers and leaders. When utilized properly it will do wonders for your team but if overused it could be a huge pain point and stressor for employees. They allow an option to have your team give a daily summary of their tasks and I could easily see that going wrong if used by the wrong manager.

Ryan
Ryan
Marketing Director in US
Marketing & Advertising, 501–1,000 Employees

Basecamp allows me to track my team's progress easily and efficiently

Comments: I've used Basecamp for my team for several years now. The communications solutions, file management services and archival features are all excellent. As an administrator and user, I highly recommend Basecamp for any organization with several ongoing and simultaneous projects.

Pros:

Basecamp is a project management solution that allows me to stay on top of my team's projects with ease. Projects can be categorized and organized so that only members working on a particular project are exposed to the communications and back and forth. We use Basecamp as our primary solution because it is easy to implement and onboard, simple to use and has a robust set of features that are among the best in the industry for what we need.

Cons:

My only complaint is that the different versions of Basecamp have different features. For example, the version we use does not allow for time tracking. While this is not necessary, as we don't bill out by the quarter hour, it would be a nice feature that would allow me to better understand how long certain tasks take my team members. If Basecamp had universal features across all versions, this would be a miracle solution.

Jonathan
Lead Engineer in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Great choice for team discussion, file sharing and basic task tracking

Comments: Our overall experience has been great. We were using a custom-built tool for team communication, but ultimately decided that Basecamp just has more features and will save us a lot of cash in the long run versus building the tool ourselves. It's nice that there is a flat charge for the service, instead of charging by the user like some other services do. This saves us a considerable amount of money.

Pros:

It was very easy to setup and get going. We just invited our team members in with each of their email addresses and it handled the rest. Our entire team found it easy to create their account or do a social login. We use it primarily as a message board and chat system on our team. I really like how the entire message board is searchable, which is useful for finding things later on. "Remember when we talked about XYZ", and you can just search for XYZ and it shows up quickly. The calendar and file sharing has also come in handy for simple things, though it's not as robust as using something like Google Calendar or Google Drive. Basecamp also has a useful API that we've used to pull some data out of their system and display it in our other systems. The mobile app works great. It's probably one of the best designed apps I've ever used, to be honest. It makes it easy to talk with the team while on-the-go.

Cons:

I was hoping for some kind of wiki system to be included with Basecamp. You can kinda make up your own wiki using specific categories on the message board and file sharing, but it's not quite the same. A wiki would be really helpful for internal documentation.

Bethany
Editor in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

My, well, base camp for client communications!

Comments: I create an individual Basecamp project for each of my clients to handle communication, deadlines, and file-sharing. Basecamp is the only project management software I've found that really excels at being used in a client-facing manner. I can get clients set up within minutes without confusing or overwhelming them.

Pros:

My use of Basecamp is unique in that I personally don't need project management software as much as a client communication interface, and Basecamp is perfect for that! My work requires me to implement deadlines for both my team and my clients, and Basecamp allows me to clearly communicate that entire timeline while keeping all files and communication in one place. It really is a perfect "home base"!

Cons:

I'd love to be able to customize which projects we receive updates on! Instead of just choosing email updates or no email updates, it would be great to have a newsfeed of only starred projects or even the ability to designate and filter by role within a project. I also feel that the jump between Basecamp Personal and Basecamp Business is a bit too stark. I'd love to see, say, a Basecamp Entrepreneur option in between aimed at companies that don't need unlimited features and can't afford the $99 monthly price point. Basecamp 2's "10 projects for $20/month" package would be an ideal model!

Gavin
Technical Project Manager in UK
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Basecamp gives you a lot of bang for the buck

Pros:

Basecamp does almost everything we need to do, with the ability to use the APIs we've managed to extend Basecamp to work with our internal and some external systems. Every single project is tracked and managed via the app, our project hours are recorded against each project using the API and we can report on these for costings at any point. There are more competent project management software packages out there, but all of these charge per user and would be a lot more expensive.

Cons:

There's a few small features missing, one of these is project management across multiple projects, we're not able to produce GANNT charts or assign people to projects with working hours to ensure the member of staff isn't overloaded. This is minor overall but would definitely be something great to have.

Nagish
IT Officer in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Best Tool for Online Project Management and Team Management

Comments: I am using Basecamp from last two year. I love it because of its Team Chat, the average price which is very affordable, Message Boards/News which have so many options to edit the text, such as bolding, coloring, bullet points, etc which I personally didn't see in any other project management tool. Most of the time I use it to update stockholders, where it also provide privacy. When I want to inform specific persons I can select those and send them message once at the same time. I love its reports feature too. Drag and drop for rearranging tasks in task list is pretty awesome feature. I like Basecamp’s structural way of arranging everything like links, file, comments, communication, etc.
I recommend it to everyone because of its Free Trail which is a very good thing to try it before buying the full package.

Pros:

Basecamp is an online project management tool which can be accessed through a Mobile device by its app or directly through the web on both PC and Mobile devices. Managing multiple projects at the same time is very easy with Basecamp. Basecamp is featured rich web app where each and every feature such as Project Updates, Discussions and In-project Todo Lists/Tasks are on one-page and a user can easily find them directly by first look. The best thing in Todo list is multiple Todo lists in a single project for different department’s collaboration which makes it more powerful than the other available tools in the market. Document upload and sharing with others and receive feedback or comments makes it more versatile. The coolest feature which I like is the Catchup option for knowing about today and today’s progress in a single click. The best feature which keeps me update about the progress is the Progress feature, where the whole project is displayed as a timeline on one page, that’s just amazing. It’s so easy to see the milestones and progress right in one screen and scroll to see how much of done for the course of a day or month. The simplicity of Basecamp makes me love it; because Basecamp has a very lean user interface, the smooth learning curve for first-time users and scalability to use it for larger projects which makes it adoptable for everyone.

Cons:

The workflow is not built around any specific industry so it may not be a very perfect for specialized companies but it can be used by anyone and it can be adopted easily because of its ease and more features. The Calendar view/ Schedule doesn’t show a specific task's progress in details. it will make more sense to calendar/schedule view if the schedule is shown like the progress bar for every task.

Kamila
Kamila
Founder & CEO ¿ Business Coach | Marketing Strategist | Online Training for Coaches & Experts in US
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Great for client management and projects

Comments: It helps us keep the communication with clients in one place versus using email which is helpful. I wish they had a free version though. I like the style and branding of the app, but if I wasn't using it for client work I doubt I'd be using it for my own projects.

Pros:

- The interface is fun to navigate, it's just pleasant to look at. I like all the little buttons, the way that the check marks are designed, it's fun to comment and check things off. I'm a big nerd when it comes to the actual enjoyment of a platform. The brand is on point. - I like that you can set up different sections for todo's versus having them all be in place. It's also helpful to have a separate files section and discussions section for things not related to specific to-do's although we do rarely use them with my clients. - I see they have an option to use Clientside where the client doesn't get to see all the things in Basecamp, and they can still use email primarily when it comes to the communication. I personally don't use this option and we just have the client in their own Basecamp but it's a great option for folks if they don't want their clients IN the actual project. - It's easy to attach images, write quick comments, and send pings to team members.

Cons:

- The price point, it's obviously not a free option like Trello or others and it is the same in terms of quality as those two except for the design and having clients in there. - It can get confusing for the client. They don't know where to go. - Sometimes we don't know where to write things, there are too many options for communication and discussion which makes the organization of our conversations a bit trickier to manage. - I wish it was possible to see a visual representation of the deadlines for each task, like a gantt chart or something. I feel like Asana has more options when it comes to all of that and it's easier to organize things.

Daniel
Daniel
Software Developer and IT Trainer in Romania
Computer Software, Self Employed

Basecamp - for small and (some) medium-sized projects

Comments: I use Basecamp to manage part of my projects. It helps me to keep in better connection with my clients and the members of the team. I think it is well suited for small and maybe medium-sized projects. It’s reliable and effective at keeping everything organized as long as your teams will have less than 20 members. But if you’re taking into consideration to use Basecamp, you must also evaluate the complexity of the project and the need of communication between members. Sometimes the conversation will become hard to follow because everything is put together, and after a while it’s difficult to keep track of it. We also use the document management and sharing feature to organize project files. Number of emails between team members and/or client dropped after starting using Basecamp. In fact, you can use Basecamp entirely as a communication platform to organize and keep in touch with your clients. Basecamp consolidates all messages with the client in one place. If the projects are for external clients you can add them to your project and choose only certain resources that they can have access to.

Pros:

Basecamp has a very easy to use and intuitive interface. Managing and supervising projects is clean and efficient. It allows us to share only certain resources with the client. Groups allow team members to collaborate and share resources. Members can communicate real-time with the chat or direct messages(pings) or by posting on messages board. I can dismiss questions or responses if inadequate for the group. We’re able to set a responsible and set deadlines for tasks. I can quickly see the tasks we still need to do. I like how I can have all communication with the client in one place. We don’t need to communicate by emails so often. Calendar will tell us the time spent and the deadline of the projects. You can define project hierarchies to break down projects and make them more manageable. Sometimes I need to share something with a person who’s not on the team; for this I can create a public share link. We can use templates to speed up the creation of similar projects.

Cons:

There is no plan between Free and Business (99USD/month). Grouping and following longer discussions is not that easy. I would like to have the possibility to delete files in bulk. The calendar is just basic, it lacks many features like exporting or syncing with external apps/tools. I think there are too many email notifications. I would like to correct or edit online an already uploaded document. If you want to change the design after your company branding, don't expect that from Basecamp. I miss a standard feature to prioritize the tasks so we can drop out our custom conventions.

Bryce
Recreation Director in US
Recreational Facilities & Services, 51–200 Employees

Best Bang for the Buck

Comments: Our team has been better at communicating with one another and collaborating on ideas. It has connected the team and made it easier to know what everyone is working on without it feeling like big brother is watching what you do.

Pros:

I love how I pay a yearly fee and I can have unlimited users, projects, files, due dates, etc. We looked into other software and no one could match the ease of use and affordability for a city government on a budget. I love how you can search by keyword and find what you need, I love the chatting option between employees and I love how you can create projects and assignments with ease.

Cons:

I wish you could integrate your google calendar with this software.

Mohammed
Senior corporate communications in Jordan
Banking, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Preparing and implementing tasks through the cooperation of team members

Comments: Basecamp contributed to increasing the ability to follow up on all projects of the organization, as well as save documents and documents related to those projects, and also through notifications of tasks that are sent at the specified times to all members, ensuring that everyone stays in touch with the actual situation of the project and enables the project management to know the points Defects and omissions in production baskets, which gives them flexibility with the ability to enter at the right time.

Pros:

Basecamp is a flexible program with a distinctive design, which enables the work team, by integrating jobs, to dispense with many of the tasks they perform, which contributes to saving time and effort and increasing productivity. The team will be able to communicate through Basecamp from anywhere at any time and also via mobile phones. Each team member will be able to list the tasks, their due dates, and the members who contribute to the implementation of the task, which makes the follow-up processes and measurement of achievement rates easy and clear to everyone. The application will provide you with notifications about the assigned tasks that you have to follow. The application provides the ability to download files, documents and videos of a specific activity, and they will be saved for reference at any time. The application enables you to work on several projects at the same time, as you will be able to customize the tasks according to the project you are working on.

Cons:

Everything is excellent, Basecamp is easy to use for everyone, it has a unique user interface, which allows you to know all the tasks that you are required to participate in and their due dates. Basecamp has an excellent support team and provides educational aids to everyone that helps with a clear understanding of how the app works. Basecamp provides a very large amount of freedom for users, enabling them to include and modify the list of people to send notifications to, ensuring that those notifications reach the people concerned at the specified times.

It is a very collaborative tool, for organizes projects in a simple and effective way. Its effective

Comments: I have found many benefits when using and implementing this tool in our team: - Speed in my management and organization of projects - Efficiency in the coordination of processes - Security to use it in my mobile device - Real order in our work - Improvement of our routine in internal processes - Improvement in the performance of our equipment - Unification of all the professionals of the company in the same project - For a small company like ours, a great cost - quality ratio - Interaction with our customers - Simple to use even when someone is traveling They have implemented a very useful tool, which is the Daily Progress, very useful to review the events that have taken place in your projects over time Another benefit obtained thanks to the BaseCamp tool is that all our consultants have been able to use it, even people not very adept at the technology, they can use it very efficiently and simply BaseCamp We benefit from the TimeLine of the tool, because we can explain the progress of a project to our clients. The balance of failures and successes are other benefits The support of the platform, in the centralization of processes and communications of our digital projects, has been another of the great benefits obtained since we implemented BaseCamp In our scenario, the creation and dissemination of documents, conversations by messages and the generation of agreements become complicated actions and require an efficient organization system. What do we find in this tool? We benefit from online collaborative work. And it continues to evolve over time The support of the platform, in the centralization of processes and communications of our digital projects, has been another of the great benefits obtained since we implemented BaseCamp In our scenario, the creation and dissemination of documents, conversations by messages and the generation of agreements become complicated actions and require an efficient organization system We benefit from online collaborative work. We have the support that all conversations, requirements and shared files are stored on the platform. In this way we can always endorse the agreements, requests ,deliveries It has facilitated the monitoring of the work and the counting of hours of work of each professional, something very important for the internal management of the projects. In our experience, it has worked so well that it is already. So, Thanks fos that BaseCamp

Pros:

I really like the ease of use that this tool has. Practically no more experience or tutorials are needed to learn how to use it. The internal chat is a great advantage, very nice. It is also an excellent option that allows teamwork and solve management problems quickly

Cons:

The main disadvantage is that the client must understand the use very well, but generates prizes almost automatically. Especially for the client respect the threads of conversation. Another point against is that the platform only works online, so you can not advance in jobs when there is no connection

Jenny
Brand Director in US
Internet, 11–50 Employees

I've used Basecamp intermittently over the last 3 years.

Pros:

Basecamp is best for improving organization and instilling clarity among teams. I love the notification board in Basecamp. It helps organize and clarify details and next steps in a team, which can often times get cluttered or grow faint via email and standard chat-type programs like Slack. The self-saving feature is awesome, too. I've been screwed over many times on other programs and email systems if my computer freezes or my browser shuts down unexpectedly so I have a wave of relief being on Basecamp in general. Any applicable files needed can be easily searched for and found within the system, too, which is great. This feature is definitely reminiscent of Google Drive, but Basecamp as a software tool is way more robust, functionality-wise.

Cons:

Upload times can be slow and it can get a little glitchy, but the latter may be a function of my company's WiFi. If everyone on your team knows how to use Basecamp and if everyone on your team are solid workers, Basecamp can help you save so much time. BUT, if you have slackers or lazy people on your team (all too common even in the best companies out there) it can be incredibly frustrating to have to repeat information that's already clearly in Basecamp for them to reference. This isn't necessarily a 'con' but I'm often finding out about features I didn't know existed or didn't know were beneficial to leverage for my specific projects until I discovered them through conversations with colleagues. It'd be great to have tutorials embedded into the system so users know they're utilizing the system at its full capacity.

Lucas
Senior Software Engineer in Austria
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Simple yet elegant and effective.

Comments: In summary, Basecamp impresses with its simplicity, attention to detail, and comprehensive feature set. Its user-friendly interface and thoughtful design make it easy to navigate and utilize its robust set of project management tools. While the software excels in many aspects, one area for improvement could be providing more fine-grained metrics for tracking project timelines. Nonetheless, Basecamp remains a valuable asset for efficient collaboration, streamlined communication, and effective project management.

Pros:

am thoroughly impressed with its simplicity, attention to detail, and robust set of features. The software's straightforward interface makes it incredibly easy to navigate and use, allowing me to quickly get started and stay organized. The attention to detail is evident in every aspect of Basecamp, from its clean design to its thoughtful features that cater to various project management needs.

Cons:

While Basecamp offers excellent project management capabilities, having more detailed metrics and insights into the timeline of events would greatly enhance the ability to track progress and identify potential bottlenecks. By incorporating more granular metrics, such as task duration, milestone completion rates, or individual team member contributions, Basecamp could provide users with a more comprehensive understanding of project timelines and enable more effective project planning and management