15 years helping Australian businesses

About Buildium

Get all-in-one real estate management software with more “all.” Accounting, leasing, mobile apps—there’s everything and then some.

Learn more about Buildium

Pros:

Easy to use, user-friendly, great customer service, reasonable price.

Cons:

Their "known issues" have cost me THOUSANDS in productivity loss. They don't offer credits, discounts or anything of value and they don't fix the issues for months.

Buildium ratings

4.3
4.5
4.3
4.4

8.5/10

Buildium has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 2,055 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Buildium before?

Filter reviews (2,055)

Yonathan
Yonathan
Real estate Agent in US
Real Estate, 201–500 Employees

Tracking is critical to your business succcess

5.0 last month New

Comments: So far is great, I plant to continue to use this app more often

Pros:

Easy to use, and tasks are easy to assing

Cons:

no apps on the app store or Android store

3 weeks ago

Hi Yonathan! Thanks for your review. The good news is that we do indeed have an app on both the App Store AND the Google Play store. Property Managers and Rental Owners can use the Buildium app. Simply search for Buildium, and you should see the familiar white and green Buildium logo. We also have direct links to the app in our support article: https://help.buildium.com/hc/s/article/Mobile-App Hope that helps!

Matthew

Buildium has been great!

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: We are very pleased and just signed up for another year. I have moved several friends (owners/property managers) onto Buildium and they have loved it as well.

Pros:

Buildium is incredible. We came from PropertyWare which is old and lame. The UI dated and lame, but Buildium is all improved. We love it!! The leasing process and managing tenant move it’s is a breeze. Honestly every part has been great. Support is also very good if a question comes up.

Cons:

The only thing that tenants have complained about are the fees associated with online payments. They are close to $15 for a transaction (tenant pays). We were used to our tenants only need to pay a $1-$3 fee per transaction. But it’s not that big a deal.

Lisa
President in US

Buyer beware

3.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Poor. It’s very difficult to get the support you need

Pros:

I can’t think of any. I don’t feel it is intuitive

Cons:

It does a poor job with important export of information. Also, there’s bugs in the software that have not been addressed and continue to be ignored by management.

GARY
Managing Member Owner CFO COO in US

Review from 7+ year user

4.0 last month New

Comments: Positive. Very similar to my thoughts above in the Pros section. Have valued and enjoyed seeing what Real Page has done with this product since the acquisition a few years back.

Pros:

Other than how easy and clean the layout is.....my favorite part of Buildium is how they utilize and solicit user feedback....and then for the most part, implement the right changes.

Cons:

The Financial Reports and Accounting modules are still lacking. Not to mention the Financials Tab within the Accounting module....is just useless in my opinion. Would love to see Buildium really take the time and initiate to improve and revise this. Which would include getting feedback from any users who are Accountants or CPAs by trade or have those backgrounds. Myself for example would love to partake in this if asked.

Yair
Managing Partner in Israel

Yair Hindin's Responses

4.0 last month New

Comments: There were some customer service challenges initially. The digital support wasn't addressing what I wanted and it may have been because I couldn't express it properly. A short phone call would likely have resolved in far less time.

Pros:

Ledgers are clear, easy to adjust, and helpful for tenants.

Cons:

At the plan we're on we don't speak to live people. I think that in this model everyone loses issues take 5x longer to resolve, the user gets frustrated and everyone's time is wasted.

3 weeks ago

Thank you for your review, Yair. We're glad you're finding Buildium to be helpful for you and your tenants. With ticket-only support, it helps to be as descriptive of the subject as possible, and to include screenshots, whenever applicable. Phone support is available on our other two subscription levels as well as other benefits, such as access to an additional tenant screening service, lower incoming EFT fees and free ePay applications, and more. Hope that helps!

Nelson
Principal Broker in US

A happy 10 year Buildium user

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Excellent experience and I am totally happy with it.

Pros:

Buildium continues to innovate and improve their property management software and have not raised fees much from when I started over 10 years ago. I originally began its use because Buildium was one of the few that was web-based and fit all of the criteria that I was looking for. I can access it from my smartphone, tablet, or laptop anywhere that I have internet access.

Cons:

Nothing, Buildium satisfies all of my needs

Ethan

Cost Efficient PM Software

5.0 last month New

Comments: I really like Buildium and the ease it offers. I've used 3 other softwares and Buildium is as good or better.

Pros:

The reporting and accounting is very good in comparison to other softwares.

Cons:

You have to click through several links to get to places when it could be compartmentalized better. Example - Click property, click unit, click lease, click tenant. This could be cut in half.

3 weeks ago

Thanks for your review, Ethan! We're glad to see that you're getting ease 0f use with Buildium. For navigating, we often offer different avenues to get to a particular page so you can find one that works best for your flow. For example, when looking for a tenant, you can take the path you mentioned, but you can also find them through the Rent Roll page, or even more directly on the Tenants, both of which are in the Rentals menu. An even more direct option is through the global search at the top of every page. Just type the resident's name, and click! Hope that helps! Thanks again.

Linda
Admin Asst in US

Buildium for Property Mangement

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: It is a very good property manage3ment tool.

Pros:

Buildium is very user friendly and provides owner access 24/7/365 which is vital.

Cons:

Multiple screens to get needed information, i.e. applicant email was removed from list of new applicants. Application must be opened to get contact information. Ability to copy email addresses from screen to send email outside Buildium system was removed. Most cons would be slanted toward my personal usage requirements of the product.

Ryan
Property manager accountant in Barbados
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Buildium is an excellent tool to upgrade your business!

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, the experience with Buildium has been a satisfying one. Training was very hands on, our relationship manager has also been helpful in addressing issues that customer service was not able to resolve.

Pros:

The interface is very light and simple and not cluttered like some application.

Cons:

The refresh rate of the website can be a bit slow especially certain times of the month.

KIm
Finance Specialist in US
Accounting, 11–50 Employees

Great Product

4.0 last month New

Comments: Very very good. I would recommend moving to it if you do Property Management

Pros:

Accounting reports that tie out the balance sheet and allow you to drill down.

Cons:

Prepaids is a bit confusing. Budget vs actual report cannot do thru the month vs the end of the year without picking up some of the current month. Some CS reps are better than others but overall helpful

3 weeks ago

Thanks for taking the time to write a review, Kim! We appreciate how valuable our accounting and reporting has been to you.

Eyal
Broker in US

The Buildium Experiance

Comments: Overall, great software with dedicated team (to the most part).

Pros:

Buildiun is a very easy to use software. New features are normally well received by my staff.

Cons:

Missing some features. 3rd Party (FORTE) is not customer friendly.

5 years ago

Hi Eyal, Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are also excited to let you know that Buildium has created its own internal payments platform and is in the process of transitioning its customers over to that system. Best, The Buildium Team

Ryan
Principal in US

Opt for Monthly over Yearly at discounted rate

Comments: Benefits realized would be never opting to save 10% for a yearly contract when a company fails to stand behind their product. As a property manager my success mainly relies on tenants being happy with their situation I'm always perplexed when I deal with vendors that don't share that same idea.

Pros:

The added features and collaborations with other products such as Happy Co. Inspector and other features were a huge selling point.

Cons:

On-boarding process was horrible, were given two options but the options we choose meant we never truly implemented the software, constantly we were pushed back month after month without being operational except for two properties. Balance and accounting sheet were never resolved. Repeatedly postponed and after months of not having the software work as suggested it would asked to be reimbursed for remaining months not even for a total refund which was denied under the condition that this is a 'self-service' software. If we had chosen month to month option we would of discontinued use of this product after two months. Unable to find an amicable resolution and thus will continue to use this product for the only two properties that were properly entered until the contract ends and discontinue service. The quality of their employees is very high and were easy to deal with but resolutions never truly came and sadly they didn't stand behind their product enough to understand that the on-boarding was never successful and meet a fair resolution. Was offered two months for free after 6 months of not being fully on-boarded.

Kimberly
Lead Property and Office Manager in US

Definitely Worth a Try

Comments: Overall, I think Buildium is a good company and I think they are struggling with the fast growth process, as many companies do. The cost of their program is less than Appfolio and the folks that work for them are better at helping out with issues. I found Appfolio's phone support to be mostly snarky know-it-alls and patronizing 20-somethings with an attitude who seemed to be bothered by my questions . Buildium support has never come across that way.

Pros:

The set up process and assistance in doing it was quite seamless. The ongoing support is there if you need it and the tutorials, although not great or always up to date, do help you figure things out without having to call in.

Cons:

The close-out of a tenant can be awkward and not intuitive. The return of security deposits with interest and charging of fees is clunky. Also, when a lease runs out, the system doesn't roll them over to month-to-month. It simply just closes out the lease on line and makes it look like the tenant doesn't live there anymore or owe any rent. This is both frustrating and stressful because if a tenant owes money and decides not to declare that, they could potentially get away without paying rent. There needs to be a change in the rollover of the leases in the system so we don't miss collecting rent.

Tim
Operator in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Great product for property management

Comments: Buildium has been great for property management. Online applications/background checks, epay, and the resident portal have proven to be daily uses in our business. 10 out of 10 would recommend.

Pros:

epay. It's worth it for that. To be able to get paid online seemlessly is great. Communication being automated around payment is wonderful, too -- specifically, the lease ledger, automating late fees, and payment reminders.

Cons:

We list properties for rent that do not have bed/baths on them - specifically, RV pad sites and commercial lots. Buildium does not allow us to list properties without the bed/bath requirement. This becomes confusing to prospective tenants when these listings are on our website and published elsewhere.

Donald
Accountant in US

Buildium is Fantastic

Comments: Buildium has given us the tools to streamline our processes and make daily tasks easy. The online software makes it accessible no matter where the staff are located so that work orders, rent input, communications, etc. can be handled in real-time and on the spot. Everything from leases to lease renewals, maintenance requests to inspections are all in one spot, easily accessible. No more paper files to thumb through. The administration of property management has never been such a breeze.

Pros:

As an accountant, the accounting features are awesome. Online payments make tracking incoming rents easier since there is less leg work. You can setup priorities on how payments are applied. The program is easy to use and to navigate. Buildium provides tutorials that are great training tools for new and even experienced users. Buildium was easy to setup and integrate into our company.

Cons:

I have yet to find any complaints with Buildium's program. There are continuing to improve and add features on a quarterly basis. There were no issues switching to this software from our previous system.

Shirley
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Buildium Review for possible new customers

Comments: I have been using Quick Books for about 25 years and concerned about learning curve. I have been using over two years now and I love it. Still have some questions but support is great. I am considering bringing over more of my companies

Pros:

I like most it is user friendly but when I have an issue I can get online or telephone contact help. They are knowledgeable answer my questions and get me going.

Cons:

I wanted to have two separate budgets with separate chart of accounts and was told not available. I have to download in excel and do some extra steps

2 years ago

Hi Shirley, Thanks for your review! Did you know we have a feature suggestion tool that you can use to submit ideas like having multiple chart of accounts? Check out the Help & Support menu in your Buildium account, and choose "Suggest a feature." - Charlie W

Anna

Professional and Polished

Comments: When we were choosing which software to partner with, Buildium quickly rose to the top. Today, four years into business, I don't know what we'd do without it. From an accounting perspective, my accounting team has been pleased with the company reporting capabilities. From a management perspective, it allows our smaller firm to look as polished and professional - if not more so - than our larger competitors. It all comes down to how well users work the system. We feel we've gotten into our groove when it comes to onboarding, marketing, maintenance and more. The only thing I wish Buildium would consider is greater training options for those new to the software. That said, I managed to get us started (initially) and train the other users. And whenever we have a question, the support team is always a close phone call away. I would absolutely recommend the software to anyone as the best for ease of use, accounting capabilities and managed growth of the business.

Pros:

Ease of use. Tech support available by phone.

Cons:

User training options at the start of use. Perhaps online classes could be considered?

Aleta
Regional Property Manager in US
Real Estate, 51–200 Employees

Buildium is the Best

Pros:

The system is very user friendly, the partner integrations add value that wasn't there before, reports are easy to read, and the Resident Center is a great way to communicate with the tenants.

Cons:

I would like to be able to transfer tenants within the community, or to sister properties, without moving out and moving back in and I'd also like the record deposit screen to have a filter function (by property, by unit number, and by amount). A move-out/move-in report would be nice too, and the ability to run the Vacancy report within a specific time frame.

2 years ago

Thanks for your review, Aleta! Glad to see that the Marketplace is bringing you some value. Sounds like you've got some good suggestions. Have you tried submitting them to our developers through the "Suggest a feature" option in your Help & Support menu? - Charlie

Max
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Very reliable PM software for professional residential management

Pros:

It's really easy to use, but still gives us very advanced tools. Robust trust accounting makes auditing and compliance easy. Support is always good and prompt. They are constantly making updates and improvements and seem to really care about the product. I like features that save me time and Buildium delivers. Really good tenant app, tenants really like it. Communication features work well.

Cons:

Buildium is great for PMs who manage up to about 100 properties. It lacks the features that you need for over that amount, such as advanced batch reports, missing many standardized features and tools, no inspection schedule tracking, and the manager app isn't the best.

2 months ago

Thanks for your review, Max! Definitely let us know what features you'd like to see by going to the "Suggest a feature" page in your Help & Support menu.

Monique
Community Association Manager in US

The Cadillac of HOA/Condo/Property Management

Comments: I have searched far and wide and Buildium is the best available for HOA/property management. I use it for all my monthly paying accounts, and find that the professional statements which are easily generated make managing the finances uncomplicated. Overall, Buildium is super customer friendly and has always met my expectations in the five years that I have been with them.

Pros:

This software is mandatory if you have monthly payments for properties. It accepts EFT/Debit/Credit Cards and has a very user friendly approach to keeping financial records on individual homeowners in perfect shape. They also allow easy access for homeowners to both their own account and payments, and to governing documents, minutes, etc at any time. Imputing the payments and checks etc is easy and personalizing the accounting categories to fit your business is a snap. It pulls up a roster of homeowners and when someone moves out, changing out the account name takes seconds instead of laborious work in other spreadsheets etc. The to-do tasks list is very helpful for sharing among a busy office. In a Buildium vs spreadsheet choice, I would pick Buildium every time for accuracy, professionalism and most importantly ease of use. I pull down a list and print up invoices from many time periods, and to email the late invoices, is simply a matter of 2 seconds to pull up the right file and hit the correct button.

Cons:

The non-bending method of making payments - where they require the vendor to log in and invoice directly vs just allowing me to make quick payments to say the lawn guy or other vendors who wouldn't know a computer if it smacked them in the face. I do not use this portion of the software. I have also asked them repeatedly to sell a 'lite' version of the subscription. One where they charge less for seasonal payments. I have several HOAs that only pay once a year, and can't use Buildium because it is cost prohibitive to have an account open for 12 months that only has one payment per year. They need to have a Florida/AZ/Seasonal version at a lower rate that has limited payments.

6 years ago

Hi Monique, Thank you so much for your review! We're so thrilled we've been able to help meet a lot of your management needs over the past 5 years. We've made a note of your feedback regarding vendor payments and Buildium "Lite", and will pass it along to our product team! Best, The Buildium Team

Paul
Property manager in US
Real Estate, 11–50 Employees

Buildium features review

Comments: Buildium allows our rental department to stay organized and provides easy and efficient access to data information. I could not imagine doing my daily tasks without Buildium.

Pros:

The general format of the total program is good and maybe better than other programs used in the past. I really like the latest update of the status button for work orders

Cons:

I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a feature where multiple windows with in Buildium can be open at the same time. (if it exists, forgive me for not knowing how to use it) I do not like that Buildium doesn't have a back button feature, especially in the tasks and work order screens. I do not like that Buildium will allow a partial online payment to be received. It should not receive a tenant online payment unless the full balance is being paid. This is a problem when tenants owe for late fees or maybe a repair expense. I would like to have the auto email option to send a work order to a owner even if the vendor has no email. It only gives that choice if the vendor has an email set up in the system. Some of our vendors receive work orders by phone or text or in person but the owner still needs to know what work is being done. It might be a nice feature for Buildium to store invoices in the system once a work order is completed. Not just the picture attachment spot within tasks and work orders. it it were a data base maybe or at least folders to store scanned copies. The work orders feature to add in the vendor parts and labors costs and description still seems cumbersome especially when dollar amounts are entered and then the book keep tries to pay bills. It may be we need Builduim training in this area. it should be a really useful feature. Sometimes Buildium seems to add double charges under tenants ledger info. Every now and then a random double charge pops up.

5 years ago

Hi Paul, Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback on directly to our product team. We are currently working on updates to maintenance and work orders, stay tuned! Best, The Buildium Team

Katie

Property Management Software - works very well for non accounting backgrounds

Comments: Automation is HUGE! online payment is HUGE! It's connecting my tenant/client requests with my staff and subsequently my vendors - less mess to sort through!

Pros:

I don't have to have a degree in accounting, between features, FAQ's and support, I've always been able to resolve issues. Love that it streamlines my processes into one central place and that I have a good overall place for myself, my assistant, my clients and tenants to look at things. Love online payments and ability to pay out to owners and vendors online as well! Software has fantastic capability to shift easily with the changing needs of business (growth or even if we were to pull back a bit - affordable and seamless transition!)

Cons:

The vendor/owner portals are difficult and messy. Also, my vendors can see ALL work orders, not just their own for a property they have access to. They have to go under maintenance just to find work orders (not intuitive). Would be awesome if they could just reply to the emails the system sends and have those replies/files be uploaded as communication on the work order. Loading pictures is ok but difficult to reorder. Also, would like to be able to load pictures in an area that show things like appliances/etc but not necessarily show on the listing If I enable "files" to be seen, then people can see ALL things under files - not just those pertinent to the properties they are enabled for. If I send an email to all owners or all tenants, it does not save under their individual communication logs - I have to go into a specific lease/tenant/owner/etc then go to communications to start an email otherwise it's not in the log. Would like to have multiple work orders under tasks - sometimes I need a General, a plumber and an electrician to complete the same task, for example. In the banking area, I'd like the property balances to reflect how much is deposit/property reserves so that I can see I'm where I need to be at a glance. I'd also like to be able to make more than one reserve account per property (i.e. taxes, maintenance) I'd like ONE application email - not one plus the credit check (maybe the app has a link to the chk

Patricia
Manager in US

Updating Bank Account is a NIGHTMARE - Beware

Comments: I am pulling out my hair over here. I hate even the thought of logging on to the system. It makes my skin crawl.

Pros:

Getting ledger for court filings and Tenant evictions

Cons:

it allows for time wastingNo parking and vehicle data, Tenant can not update their own informationLeasing process is an absolute chore! Don't even use maintenance, its a nightmare!Understanding the accounting - not possible Printing ledgers in a format that is useful for court - not possible, it shows one this on the screen and print something else.Sending messages to all parties that need to see it - what a jokeManaging, deleting, adding and other property tasks like this - OMG - it is soooo bad!Telling these guys you have an issue that they should address to make life on my end easier. I think they take that as a joke! They announce crap development that we do NOT use and announce that as "great and new" . Stuff we suggest is thrown in their trash bin.I wrote a review on Mar 24, 2020, 11:46 AM and since then my suggestions have NOT been addressedThis company and their software makes a mockery of my time.

11 months ago

Hi Patricia, Thank you for taking the time to write your review. We would like to help you with whatever we can. If you haven't already, please reach out to the customer care group for assistance. To clarify the "Suggest a feature" function, a submission there isn't guaranteed to become part of the product. The more people that vote on a suggestion, the higher the likelihood because that means it could benefit a larger portion of the user base. I hope that helps explain the process, and that our customer care team can help you when you reach out. Thanks again for your review, Charlie

Carrie
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

Buildium has given me the freedom to manage property from anywhere

Comments: I am able to run my entire business from anywhere that I have wifi or service on my phone.

Pros:

I like that there is one place that all parties involved can use to run a property management company. I have about 45 properties in three separate towns in Montana and I use it daily for the entire property management process from listing properties to screening applicants, writing leases, maintenance, rent collecting, renters insurance, owner payouts, management agreements, vendor accounting and debt collecting. I had to teach myself how to use Buildium and it was easy because I can just call Buildium support and they walk me thru anything that I need to do.

Cons:

The number one thing I don't like is the mobile app because it is not user friendly so on my phone I just go to the website instead and that is a bit difficult. The other thing I don't like is if a tenant pays their rent before the first of the month, it requires some extra work on my end to catch it and then go in and do some accounting changes so that it is allocated to the correct month.

8 months ago

Hi Carrie! Thanks for your review. Being a cloud-based software, managing your properties from wherever you are is a HUGE benefit. It's clear to see how that's been helping your operations. For the mobile app, definitely let us know how we can improve by going to the "Suggest a feature" page in your Help & Support menu. As for early payments, did you know Buildium has a Prepayments setting so that it can apply the payment to the correct month? Search our help library for "prepayments," or reach out to customer care for help on how to set this up! Thanks again! -Charlie

Kelvin
US
Real Estate
Used the Software for: Not provided

Pretty good software for our small property company

Pros:

The software is easy to use across multiple platforms; I can use it from my smartphone, tablet, or from a PC with an internet connection. It has lots of useful features. As a six-property small company, we only use a few of the features so far. We started using it for the accounting. But there is more; I especially like the applicant tracking feature which we used for the first time in the past month. It happened to be integrated with a product we actually already used for credit/background checks. I was able to send a prospective tenant a link to the website Buildium produces for you where the tenant could complete the application online. I then sent links for the SmartMove credit/background check to the prospect. It all fed back into Buildium and even notified the prospects of our decision by email. There is also a way to post new listings online with Zillow, Trulia, etc. from within Buildium. As we were already set up for another method, I have not used it yet but will likely try on the next property we have available. It allows you to add property pictures, property descriptions and leasing information that would save time on properties with higher turnover. There is a built-in website-making function that has a lot of potential to set your tenants up with accounting and other information online. There is a method for setting up payments online too, but it's tied into just one vendor. As I don't want to give up any percentage of the rent we receive to a credit card company, I'm not using that one myself. I'm not sure if you could use other vendors for online payments. I do plan on setting up my tenants online so they can see the payments we have posted for them and their lease information. They will also be able to request maintenance items online, too, which would be helpful in our tracking of such items.

Cons:

There is a learning curve to figuring out how to effectively use the software. Also, there are some things it won't do without a workaround from an accounting standpoint. We have mortgages on some property which takes a workaround to account for properly. Also, the payment method assumes you cut a check or use their EFT system. In reality, we usually use a credit card and pay off that bill. But we have to account for it by pretending that we cut a check. Not a dealbreaker, but it takes some work sometimes to figure out the workaround for a given situation. The Help function is useful, and I am sure contacting the company would work too (although we have not needed to contact them for questions so far).