• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.3 /5
    4.5 /5

About Buildium

Buildium is a top-rated cloud-based property management software best suited for residential properties and associations.

Learn more about Buildium

Showing 1,612 reviews

Rick B.
  • Reviewed on 11/05/2021

"We deferred the decision to adopt Buildium for 10 years too long"

Comments: Our biggest challenge was gathering all of our data as it was stored in numerous systems. Buildium's deployment staff was excellent in helping us to get off the ground. We were live within 30 days of starting and have continued to add functionality throughout the year.

Pros: We have been live for just over a year now. We use the applications, electronic rent collection (epay), accounting, Resident Center, and task tracking (maintenance) features of Buildium. Their automation has saved us so much time and money.

Cons: Wishlist rather than cons as the system is very good: 1) multiple applications would be good based on the type of property rather than being limited to just 1 application, 2) the ability to move a tenant out and move a new tenant in on the same day, 3) better tenant communications (emailing and messaging) above and beyond what is built-in, we adopted Follow-up Boss for this, 4) API should be open to Zapier

• Reviewed on 11/05/2021
Ronda B.
Key Operations Officer
  • Reviewed on 16/05/2021

"Why I love Buildium"

Comments: Overall it has been a great investment and has really saved a lot of time in sending invoices, reconciling accounts, collecting payments, tracking violations and keeping track of delinquent accounts.

Pros: I love how Buildium has helped me to automate the business from collecting payments to sending violations.

Cons: Integrating Buildium with the business was easy but I do wish the credit card fees were separated by property on each invoice.

• Reviewed on 16/05/2021
Katie S.
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2019

"Property Management Software - works very well for non accounting backgrounds"

Comments: Automation is HUGE! online payment is HUGE! It's connecting my tenant/client requests with my staff and subsequently my vendors - less mess to sort through!

Pros: I don't have to have a degree in accounting, between features, FAQ's and support, I've always been able to resolve issues. Love that it streamlines my processes into one central place and that I have a good overall place for myself, my assistant, my clients and tenants to look at things. Love online payments and ability to pay out to owners and vendors online as well! Software has fantastic capability to shift easily with the changing needs of business (growth or even if we were to pull back a bit - affordable and seamless transition!)

Cons: The vendor/owner portals are difficult and messy. Also, my vendors can see ALL work orders, not just their own for a property they have access to. They have to go under maintenance just to find work orders (not intuitive). Would be awesome if they could just reply to the emails the system sends and have those replies/files be uploaded as communication on the work order.

Loading pictures is ok but difficult to reorder. Also, would like to be able to load pictures in an area that show things like appliances/etc but not necessarily show on the listing
If I enable "files" to be seen, then people can see ALL things under files - not just those pertinent to the properties they are enabled for. If I send an email to all owners or all tenants, it does not save under their individual communication logs - I have to go into a specific lease/tenant/owner/etc then go to communications to start an email otherwise it's not in the log. Would like to have multiple work orders under tasks - sometimes I need a General, a plumber and an electrician to complete the same task, for example. In the banking area, I'd like the property balances to reflect how much is deposit/property reserves so that I can see I'm where I need to be at a glance. I'd also like to be able to make more than one reserve account per property (i.e. taxes, maintenance) I'd like ONE application email - not one plus the credit check (maybe the app has a link to the chk

• Reviewed on 24/09/2019
Eyal K.
Broker

"The Buildium Experiance"

Comments: Overall, great software with dedicated team (to the most part).

Pros: Buildiun is a very easy to use software. New features are normally well received by my staff.

Cons: Missing some features. 3rd Party (FORTE) is not customer friendly.

by Buildium on 12/08/2019

Hi Eyal,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are also excited to let you know that Buildium has created its own internal payments platform and is in the process of transitioning its customers over to that system.

Nicole G.

"best software"

Comments: I absolutely love buildium

Pros: easy to setup/use
It cuts my job in half
always adding more features
online portal

Cons: I went from using quickbooks to buildium. The products are night and day. Buildium definetly offers way more. The only issue I have is with the accounting side. I wish it had the capability to track expenses by apartment so I could keep track of renovation costs. You can't customize the reports as much as I would like. QuickBooks had a great feature so you could track and reconcile your loan payments.

by Buildium on 12/08/2019

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! We're so happy that Buildium has been able to help save you time. I'll pass your feedback on tracking expenses by apartment over to our product team.

Thanks again!

Angela O.
Onsite manager

"User Reveiw"

Comments: I have found that this product has helped me keep accurate ledgers, and ensure that my accounts are current in real life as well.

Pros: I find this software to be very user friendly. I had little to no experience when I was first introduced to this product and found it very easy to navigate. Their training videos have been helpful in learning the software as well.

Cons: One of the things I have noticed with this software is that you have to individually mark for an email receipt to be sent. I feel like there should be an option to automatically send the receipt upon payment acceptance. I often times forget to hit this button for those that want the email receipt. If I could assign this function for all transactions when setting up the unit it would make things much easier. I feel like this software would benefit from a little extra space to add in LIHTC information to individual units.

by Buildium on 06/09/2019

Hi Angela,

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review! You can set up automatic payment receipts by navigating to Settings > Application Settings, then click Residents. From there, scroll to the Payment Receipts section and select to automatically send receipts.

Thanks again for leaving your feedback!

Leuri Z.
Owner/Property Manager
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2019

"Buildium - Easy to Use, Improving on Features"

Comments: I know Property Managers trying to manage properties using spreadsheets. I can't imaging trying to run 41 units on a spreadsheet so I love the ability to compartmentalize all the components of Property Management. I love the ability to receive all payments, including cash, electronically without having to run a deposit to the bank. While I think your Customer Tech Support is great, there are times that I am able to figure out how something works and why it works that way, faster than Tech Support and sometimes they can't figure it out, I have to tell them the logic behind how it works.

Pros: User friendly, accounting functions easy to adapt and correct. Great tech support. Integration of application information porting to Tenant ledger is improving. Like the auto transactions to move Pre-paid rents to actual rents.

Cons: Inability to edit a task description. Inability to run a "snapshot" report for some GL accounts (which always pick up the current balance instead of selecting the balance as of a given date, lazy programming). Appfolio features integrated leases as a basic feature, not an additional service for elease, which is cumbersome and expensive for smaller companies. Appfolio also provides a scheduling feature at no additional charge. However, Buildium's accounting/office backend is vastly superior to Appfolio. Overall, I like Buildium and its'user-friendly platform.

by Buildium on 27/02/2019

Hi Leuri,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We've passed your feedback directly to both our product team and our customer care department.

Thanks again for your honest review!

• Reviewed on 25/02/2019
Nelson R.
Controller
  • Reviewed on 06/10/2020

"Buildium"

Comments: Overall it is very satisfactory and you get value out of it.

Pros: Ease of conversion and use. It has all the features of running a property management company from leasing application till account closing.

Cons: Can't print multi checks for multi properties. There is no option to set up property insurance, only vendors and tenants.

• Reviewed on 06/10/2020
Greg P.
Broker/Owner
  • Reviewed on 01/06/2021

"Great for mid-tier management"

Comments: Great! Software and support have been top-notch.

Pros: Easy of use, learning curve is short, accounting is straight-forward.

Cons: Reports are not very flexible, but export to Excel is easy.

• Reviewed on 01/06/2021
Heidi H.
VP & Treasurer
  • Reviewed on 08/08/2019

"Best property management software for the price"

Comments: I've called Buildium a few times throughout the years when I was trying to figure out the best way to handle an unusual transaction, and they have always been extremely helpful.

Pros: It keeps us organized! We can track amounts due, keep tenant lease docs at our fingertips, manage our vendors, pay our bills, screen our tenants, reconcile our bank accounts, receive rent, and correspond with our tenants all within the same software. I'm a CPA, so being able to do double-entry bookkeeping and run financial reports is important to me. But, this software is so easy, you don't have to be a CPA in order to be able to use it. Highly recommended!

Cons: There's nothing I don't like about this software.

Nicci T.
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2019

"Great for online payments"

Comments: Eh. I work in software onboarding/training and feel that Buildium should offer more of a guided set up. You're basically on your own and then they have a helpdesk you can refer to. The helpdesk and academy is good, but not great. Many times I can't find what I need and need to put in a ticket. I feel that the response times are not great and most of the time they are time sensitive issues (need a lease out today... need to accept a payment today and my epay wasn't set up), so i don't feel like they are empathetic to the customer.

Pros: Love that my tenants can pay me easily. We offer a discount on rent to anyone who agrees to sign up for autopay in their lease. This keeps our tenants paying regularly and Buildium makes that aspect easy.

Cons: I had originally purchased Buildium for the payment portion, but was excited that they had elease and full accounting features, but both of those are lacking greatly. Each time I need to send out a lease I run into trouble and have to put in a ticket. Because the ticket response time can be slow and I want to be timely for my tenants- I have yet to actually send a lease from Buildium and use another esign software. The accounting is clunky and not intuitive. Seems like there are a lot of clicks to do one thing and the reporting isn't super straight forward. If you buy Buildium because the price is nice, assume you will need to add on HelloSign or Docusign and potentially Quickbooks or something as well and factor that into your overall estimate.

• Reviewed on 13/06/2019
Siddhartha H.
Accounting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/08/2019

"Best property management assistant!"

Comments: Buildium has helped to share the Rental Owner Statement with the clients, by directly providing them access to it, which allows them to view their rental income details. This software doesn't have much complications as compared to other Property Management software.

Pros: 1. Buildium is the one of the best software for Rental and property management accounting
2. It is fast and reliable.
3. It enables convenient emailing.

Cons: There are very less limitations to Buildium, it just sometimes, seems quite time consuming.

• Reviewed on 23/08/2019
Linda E.
Realtor/agent
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2019

"Buildium utilization in Real Estate/Property Management"

Comments: Processing applicants for lease properties efficiently. For the most part, quick turn around on processing, back ground checks.

Pros: Easy to locate subject. For the most part, things are labeled in a manner that makes sense.

Cons: 1. I don't like the word "process" at the end of the lease application. It seems "submit" is better. We "process" applications; but, not until the applicant "submits" the application. The application fee is not charged until we click the "process" button at our end. Clients get confused as they think that means the application fee is being charged before I, the processing agent, even sees the application. I spend a few minutes each time I have a client who indicates they plan to apply, explaining that information.
2. There is not adequate amount of instructions so the client knows they will be required to upload/attach a file in order to complete the online application. The software requires at least 1 upload/attachment; but, it is not clearly apparent to the client. I get called often questioning why the system will not allow the client to complete their application for lease. I also spend extra time explaining that pro-actively to clients when I show them property.

• Reviewed on 27/08/2019
Paul S.
  • Reviewed on 25/08/2018

"Best property management software out there!"

Comments: We have increased our communication with our tenants, have a more professional looking user interface, provide the ability for our tenants to pay rent via ACH online, switched over to eleases with electronic signatures, and now store all of our documents online within Buildium.

Pros: I love the fact that it’s web-based, so you don’t have to continuously purchase upgrades to the software itself. Also, there are no back ups to make, because it’s all maintained online. Anyone on my team who has access to our account can see what they need to see based on their role in the company. It’s easy to track checks and deposits, reconcile bank accounts, keep track of management fees, bills to be paid, vendor contact information, lease documents, rent amounts, listings, and tenant contact information. it interfaces well with our website, so applicants and property manager don’t have to deal with paper. Love the e-lease feature, the ability to do credit checks , and track our tasks from virtually anywhere. Also, Buildium is constantly adding new features based on the latest technology. It’s awesome!

Cons: Nothing. I’ve had very few issues over the years and when I have, be a online support is superb.

• Reviewed on 25/08/2018
Melissa C.
CFO
  • Reviewed on 03/06/2021

"Very pleased with the functionality we use."

Pros: I like the “live” link with bank accounts for owner draws and electronic rent payments. The accounting functions are well designed and very useable …particularly 1099 tax filing (such a time saver!). Reporting is pretty straightforward and comprehensive. Tracking recurring and one-time tasks is useful. The ability to save documents to properties, owners, or leases is really nice.

Cons: Specifically about the software I can’t think of any functionality we use that I could criticize.
The on-boarding (implementation) process was rushed. A few more questions about specifics of our business would have circumvented several problems we encountered. One example was security deposits…held by owner vs. held by property manager.
This is not unusual for a software company but technical support expertise can be spotty at times. While I understand that everyone needs to start somewhere it can be frustrating when I know more than the technical “expert” trying to help me solve a problem.

• Reviewed on 03/06/2021
Raychelle N.
bookkeeper

"Bookkeeper Review"

Comments: Buildium does what we need it to do. Sometimes our owner users have issues logging in.

Pros: It's fairly easy to learn, teach and use.

Cons: I don't like the constant changes in appearance and some functions. Also don't like that Buildium still hasn't produced a monthly owner statement that also reflects year to date numbers and percentages of expense to income.

Art W.
Owner/Manager
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 30/04/2021

"Wish I'd done it sooner!"

Comments: This has allowed me to pick up responsibilities that my partner was doing and allowed him to retire without us missing a beat. Everything is now centralized and keeping track of maintenance requests and things that have to be done on a regular basis is now much easier to track

Pros: It has dramatically streamlined our processes and allows us to take on more units if we choose. Most impactful is the Resident Portal which allows tenants to pay their rent online and this gets entered directly into the accounting software. With over 100 tenants this is saving me an amazing amount of time. Many of our tenants had been paying online via various payment platforms such as PayPal, Venmo, cashapp etc. You name it, we were using it. It was a 5 minute process to simply accept a rent payment, put it into the right account and record it in our old system. Then, if a tenant who was behind asked for their current balance it was quite a project to reconstruct their payments and come up with a number. Now, they can answer that question without even asking me. I find myself looking for things to do now

Cons: We ran Quicken side by side for the first month. After that we went fully into Buildium. Buildium doesn't allow changes transactions that have already been reconciled. For example, you have to unwind the entire reconciliation just to change a date, even if it's in the time period of the reconciliation. This is something I'd like to see altered

• Reviewed on 30/04/2021
Ivette G.
Broker Owner

"Great Product"

Comments: Excellent, I normally help other Realtors using the product.

Pros: I love the fact that it is affordable for smaller companies like us. Most software doesnt have a plan for smaller companies.

Cons: Will like to have more reports. Will like the ability to manage better company finances as well.

Frederick U.
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2018

"We built our company on Buildium"

Comments: Overall Buildium is a very conscious company with fair pricing for a quality product. The company and its people try very hard to exceed customer expectations and are open to suggestions and feedback. The welcome compliments and critisisms with the same desire to improve.

Pros: I used Builium as my entire platform for HOA management. It was extremely easy to use internally and Buildium provided extremely easy access for external users to utilize products and features as well. Most of the features and reporting are completely customizable which for a multi application software is uniquely rare. The Buildium team's customer service is invaluable and similarily unique in the managed software world.

Cons: Buildium's software platform has a pre built accounting feature. HOA and Property mangement are by nature a very high focus of processing, managing, and tracking receivables and payables. The accounting feature is clumsy and poorly executed for what it was designed to accomplish.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2018
Al D.
  • Reviewed on 24/08/2018

"Great Product"

Comments: Overall we are very happy we made the choice to switch to Buildium. The leasing process is easier, the rent collection process is easier and end of month accounting, bill pay and payments to owners is easier too.

Pros: Once you get everything set up this software makes things so easy. We cut our time spent on accounting and other record keeping in half right from the start. Everything from leasing to rent payments is pretty close to automated. They've thought of just about everything. And, if you have trouble or need some help, their customer service department is very helpful and patient.

Cons: The one big gripe I have is not with the software but with the company that handles the electronic funds transfers in and out of our bank accounts. There is no reason in this day and age that a simple funds transfer should take as long as it does to post or take so long for the transfer to bounce for insufficient funds.

by Buildium on 27/08/2018

Hi Al,

Thank you so much for your review! We are currently reviewing our payments experience and have some exciting things planned. Someone from our product team will reach out to discuss your specific experience and share a preview!

• Reviewed on 24/08/2018
Linda B.
  • Reviewed on 23/06/2020

"Software evaluation"

Comments: I like the ability to look at records wherever I am if there is a computer there. That saves me a lot of time. Overall, it has been a big learning experience.

Pros: Enterimg rents and security deposits are fairly easy. The tech support is very good.

Cons: I feel the transfers of convenience fees, mgmt fees, etc. are complicated. When these amounts are transferred, there are too many steps. They should just go to the main company when prompted to do so. I also find improvement could be made in the closing out of security deposits when a tenant moves.

• Reviewed on 23/06/2020
Khadijah A.
Property Manager/Realtor
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2018

"Excellent website!"

Comments: Ease of use.
Landlord, tenant and property manager friendly.
All around great customer service.

Pros: The website is user friendly. Anytime I've ever had any tech issues, the response and customer service was friendly and professional. I'd recommend Buildium to anyone who manages properties in any state! All the new updates to the website have been for the better and really help with response times being more instant than before!

Cons: I would say that one of the cons is the texting feature. I think it might be bugged. I'm always receiving updates when I do not want to see them. I'm sure it's something I can turn off, I just haven't had a chance to.

by Buildium on 29/05/2018

Hi Khadijah,

Thank you for your feedback. In regards to our texting feature, you can turn off individual text messaging notifications on the text messaging page on the Communication menu. If you want all notifications turned off, you can adjust that under 'My settings'.

Thank you!
Buildium Team

• Reviewed on 15/05/2018
Tammy B.
Maintenance coordinator
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2019

"User friendly"

Comments: Overall the system is very user friendly. You can find bills quickly.

Pros: The search engine. The ease of being able to find most anything quickly in the system.

Cons: How tasks come in from tenants. There is not a button to make them transfer to a work order. Also if we put a work order in the tenants can not see it.

• Reviewed on 16/08/2019
Julie M.
Rental Manager
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2019

"Buildium for >100 units is perfect!"

Comments: I absolutely love having the ability to go from A all the way to Z for our tenants all in one place. Listing a unit to leasing, to communication and payments, I don't have to use several programs or lots of paperwork to keep up with, it's all together on one site. I really like the resident portal as well, it helps our customers communicate with us easily and pay their balances quickly and securely.

Pros: I love how user friendly it is, it's very easily understandable. You can find whatever you are looking for without having to dig through layers to get to what you need. I like the dashboard, it shows almost everything I use on a daily basis. The tenants and I love the texting feature, thank you for that lol. Listing units is so efficient!

Cons: I wish the dashboard was a little more customizable, and I would like to be able to see right in the outstanding balances board how many days exactly each tenant is past due. Also if there were tutorials that I could reference in my company manual, let me know bc that'd be super helpful! Please make more templates!!

Leonard V.
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2021

"Unexpectedly poor support and service"

Comments: Good software, excellent professional services onboarding, completely absent customer success/support. We are paying our monthly fee for the software and Buildium is not meeting their service/customer support commitment in return. Frustrating and disappointing.

Pros: The software works well, excellent response time and availability, and has 80%-90% of the functionality we need. We knew this when we purchased, with hopes that new feature development will continue.

Cons: We had excellent support with the onboarding team; rate them an A. But customer support has been absent. Have sent emails on 3 different occasions with questions, some of which were time-critical and we never received a response on any of them. I tried to connect multiple times ( and have email proof of the request and email proof of no response). Crickets!. Because my wife was a software engineer and because our onboarding was so good, (and we went back to our consultant for help when we couldn't get our customer support rep to return an email or a call), we have been able to become strong, self-sufficient users. With that experience, however, I can't recommend this experience to anyone. Just unacceptable.

• Reviewed on 27/05/2021