• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.3 /5

About Buildium

Buildium is a top-rated cloud-based property management software best suited for residential properties and associations.

Learn more about Buildium

Showing 1,613 reviews

William A.
  • Reviewed on 06/10/2020

"Overall a Quality Property Management Software Platform"

Comments: Overall Buildium is a really good platform to use especially if you want things to be automatically done or updated. I like that customize dashboard that lets you know when leases are expiring and need to be renewed. They also allow you to auto list properties for rent. This is extremely helpful for us. One down side of this platform is the inability to send debts to collection like other platforms have. Overall, I would recommend Buildium as long as they were made aware of the extra charges and services they continue to try and promote to tenants.

Pros: The thing I like the post is that it automatically applies late fees to accounts. It also auto notifies tenants once they make a payment on their account. I like that you can email every tenant using one email instead of trying to email them individually. The site is very user friendly with a customizable dashboard to help you get a quick snap shot of your rentals.

Cons: I don't like some of the auto emails that get sent to tenants to help sell some of the products Buildium is promoting. For instance, they want all tenants to have insurance and will continually email them to get them to purchase insurance that Buildium gets a cut of. They also are encouraging tenants to set up ACH payments, which if you don't have the top account level, charges the owner to use the service. I feel like Buildium continues to try and do add ons from both the tenants and the owners which is frustrating considering the amount of money we pay for the software.

• Reviewed on 06/10/2020
Jay H.
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2021

"6months Buildium user"

Pros: Easy to use once you have found your way. Do downtime always up and any device or platform works very well. Staff are very nice and knowledgeable.

Cons: We own and manage all properties. Coming from 5 companies in QuickBooks tor 15 years, it is a little challenging on the initial workflow but each month is smoother and easier.

• Reviewed on 09/02/2021
Kevin M.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2021

"Great Job. Keep up the good work!"

Comments: Great program, I came from TOPS and this is more affordable and easier to use.

Pros: easy to use. unlimited data storage. integration between management and finances. Announcements. the use of drop down menus and auto fill makes it quicker. Uploading and entering bills is so much easier. Bill approval upgrade is awesome. Great program

Cons: File sharing should be across the program. There should be one location to upload files and then select where you want the file to be seen E.G. owner, board, resource center, association.

• Reviewed on 12/02/2021
Eyal K.
Broker
  • Reviewed on 08/08/2019

"The Buildium Experiance"

Comments: Overall, great software with dedicated team (to the most part).

Pros: Buildiun is a very easy to use software. New features are normally well received by my staff.

Cons: Missing some features. 3rd Party (FORTE) is not customer friendly.

by Buildium on 12/08/2019

Hi Eyal,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! We are also excited to let you know that Buildium has created its own internal payments platform and is in the process of transitioning its customers over to that system.

Best,
The Buildium Team

• Reviewed on 08/08/2019
Kari B.
Property Management Software Consultant
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2018

"Buildium is Easy to Use- always"

Comments: I train multiple users of Buildium to use it, help fix issues as they occur. Buildium makes it very easy to do and explain. I use it everyday doing the books in full for several accounts. I never cringe when investigating accounts for other peoples' errors because Buildium is so clear.

Pros: *Ease of use cannot be overstated
*Screen aren't overly "busy" and the fonts are easily read, layout is obvious
*Accuracy and flexibility to make all accounting coherent and easy to explain to brokers/owners
*Reports generate quickly and while viewable on the screen can zero in on specific transactions, with interactive links
*Ability to email individual reports or export in a variety of printing styles
*Bank reconciliation and tie-out cash to properties and owners and company is simple
*Communications have improved a lot in the past year - SMS tracking communication with tenants is much better.
* banking window is AWESOME Being able to select by property and dates... Wonderful!!

Cons: *Reporting fails - prints two pages when unnecessary, waste of paper, most people want one pagers
- inability to email all owners their statements to each owner all at once. Can email individual reports only. Can't select properties on the fly- have to create a printing Group first.
*Email addresses in owner and tenant records still tried to jump outside of Buildium instead of taking you to a simplified email interface within for tracked communications.
Sometimes it's a little clunky navigating back and forth to common areas like between lease and property
*Inability to produce a Invoice to the owner for reimbursing the broker/property manager or other vendors as needed. Owner statement doesn't reflect bills for the property entered but not yet paid.

• Reviewed on 27/08/2018
Sheila L.
Real Estate
  • Reviewed on 07/06/2014

"Like Buildium so much!"

Pros: We're a somewhat small Property Management company in California with about 140 units, and I like a lot of things about Buildium. The customer service reps are helpful and polite, which is so noticeable today. They know what they are talking about, and I understand their explanations; they speak clearly and in good English, especially with accounting questions, as accounting is so confusing to me. I like the ease of using the program; I quickly adjusted to it. I seldom need to call customer service, as I can figure things out myself 90% of the time. As time goes on (we've been using Buildium only since December 2013), I keep finding new reasons to like the program. I haven't even used all of the capabilities that it offers. The lease ledger setup, entering payments, check writing, using reports, figuring out where we are in our bank account, and more are easy. I love how if I make a mistake, correcting it is easy, which wasn't the case with our old system. What I really like about the program is that Buildium tweaks its program frequently based on input from customers. They seem to listen to customer needs and make changes. I've really noticed this, and it is very positive! When we were looking at new software cost was important, and Buildium offered one of the best values. But because the cost was so competitive, I worried that we might regret going with Buildium. Some of the other companies really pushed their software hard and put down Buildium and some other companies, but we're happy now that we've been using Buildium for seven months, and we have no plans to go with any competitor's software in the future.

Cons: The system slows down sometimes around 4 or 5PM Pacific time, but I'm not sure that it's Buildium's fault. We're in California, and customer service phone help ends at 2:00 PM Pacific Time, and it seems that when I occasionally want to call, it's after 2:00 PM, which is a little frustrating. The reports are great, but there is just one report which I used to run on my old program that isn't available on Buildium in the same format. Otherwise, I've found all the reports so far that I need. I really can't think of anything else of significance that Buildium doesn't offer.

• Reviewed on 07/06/2014
Accountant
  • Reviewed on 25/08/2018

"Great Software, Better People"

Comments: Overall, our company enjoys using Buildium. We probably wouldn't be able to manage all the properties we have with our old system. Buildium has made us more efficient and improved our company's workflow.

Pros: Buildium is everything you need as a property owner/manager. We have used Buildium for nearly three years and manage several hundred properties with it. It lists owners, tenants, and vendors. It makes your property accounting easy. Tenants can log in to their own portal and see their balance pay their rent. Owners can log in and see everything they need to see. The reports look good and are easy to read. When a property becomes vacant, Buildium can post that vacancy to multiple websites where prospective tenants can find the units. In my experience, though, the people at Buildium have been the best part about Buildium. They are helpful, they are considerate, and they are knowledgable. I have spoken and met with Buildium reps and each time it was a pleasent and enjoyable experience.

Cons: The software is big, it does a lot. This can be daunting to overcome for some (this shouldn't be a reason not to use it). Occasionally, you will come across something that doesn't make sense, but not often. Buildium is always updating and improving performance.

• Reviewed on 25/08/2018
Co Owner
  • Reviewed on 26/01/2019

"Rental Management Software that just works!!"

Comments: We used to use QuickBooks, it is not geared towards property managers. QuickBooks has a set of vast libraries of functions to cover way to many different businesses. Buildium is made for just that reason. Buildium has saved us a lot. We no longer need a bookkeeper to handle the simple task of day to day entries.

Pros: Buildium is an awesome piece on software, easy to learn. They have video tutorials for almost everything the software is designed to do. When I run into something I don't have time to go find the answer to I just call them, their support is the best. They have walked me through several situations in a kind and generous way. Buildium has tenant and property owner login pages so that they can see how or company is handling their properties, I can receive payments online. Tenants can submit repair items online as well. The list goes on & on.

Cons: Buildium is not geared to do all of your bookkeeping in. If you chose to go this route there is some double entering that you will have to do. I think they should develop a setting that could be changed to do just that. My business keeps the money on the books, you have to redeposit the money back into the main business account on several of the functions if you plan to use it as your bookkeeping software.

• Reviewed on 26/01/2019
Nicci T.
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2019

"Great for online payments"

Comments: Eh. I work in software onboarding/training and feel that Buildium should offer more of a guided set up. You're basically on your own and then they have a helpdesk you can refer to. The helpdesk and academy is good, but not great. Many times I can't find what I need and need to put in a ticket. I feel that the response times are not great and most of the time they are time sensitive issues (need a lease out today... need to accept a payment today and my epay wasn't set up), so i don't feel like they are empathetic to the customer.

Pros: Love that my tenants can pay me easily. We offer a discount on rent to anyone who agrees to sign up for autopay in their lease. This keeps our tenants paying regularly and Buildium makes that aspect easy.

Cons: I had originally purchased Buildium for the payment portion, but was excited that they had elease and full accounting features, but both of those are lacking greatly. Each time I need to send out a lease I run into trouble and have to put in a ticket. Because the ticket response time can be slow and I want to be timely for my tenants- I have yet to actually send a lease from Buildium and use another esign software. The accounting is clunky and not intuitive. Seems like there are a lot of clicks to do one thing and the reporting isn't super straight forward. If you buy Buildium because the price is nice, assume you will need to add on HelloSign or Docusign and potentially Quickbooks or something as well and factor that into your overall estimate.

• Reviewed on 13/06/2019
Linda E.
Realtor/agent
  • Reviewed on 27/08/2019

"Buildium utilization in Real Estate/Property Management"

Comments: Processing applicants for lease properties efficiently. For the most part, quick turn around on processing, back ground checks.

Pros: Easy to locate subject. For the most part, things are labeled in a manner that makes sense.

Cons: 1. I don't like the word "process" at the end of the lease application. It seems "submit" is better. We "process" applications; but, not until the applicant "submits" the application. The application fee is not charged until we click the "process" button at our end. Clients get confused as they think that means the application fee is being charged before I, the processing agent, even sees the application. I spend a few minutes each time I have a client who indicates they plan to apply, explaining that information.
2. There is not adequate amount of instructions so the client knows they will be required to upload/attach a file in order to complete the online application. The software requires at least 1 upload/attachment; but, it is not clearly apparent to the client. I get called often questioning why the system will not allow the client to complete their application for lease. I also spend extra time explaining that pro-actively to clients when I show them property.

• Reviewed on 27/08/2019
Cory O.
Assistant Treasurer
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2017

"Home Run for self-managed HOA"

Comments: The "Buildium Academy" is a nice self-help feature. I consider myself fairly computer savvy, but this software is already extremely intuitive and has a load of tools to be able to teach yourself.
I'm eager to expand what we're using because we haven't implemented any of the free website functions yet. As of now, we're simply replacing about half a dozen excel sheets which made a mess of our finances, but even if that's as far as we went with it I'd say it's money very well spent. The ad hoc reporting and tracking of our finances are really what we needed, and Buildium delivers with great results. But increasing the capacity to talk with the other residents in the community, submit maintenance requests, notify residents of payments due, etc. are all going to be really nice perks.

Pros: The ability to automate monthly charges for each unit according to the percentage of equity saves me a lot of time every month.
The reports are all extremely easy to generate, and very customizable.
This is a really low-cost solution that has been invaluable when our accountant passed away. It has brought us forward 20 years in terms of the technology we can utilize to manage ourselves, and all in the span of a few weeks and at no cost beyond our time.

Cons: Entering payments in bulk is time-consuming. There is some capability there to do it, but it requires all of the units to be paid in full (and not carry any credit balance). I manage 39 units, and for me it seems like it's just faster to enter each payment individually.
Accounting start date is set in stone. I began the application assuming I would use our old set of books for the first few months of the year, and Buildium for the remainder of the year. I quickly changed my mind, but not soon enough. It added a bit of work on my end to square that up. I still was able to begin our history from the first of the year, but had I chosen that from the get-go it would have saved a bit of time, and once the selection is made it's made for good.

• Reviewed on 13/06/2017
Jenessa C.
Association Lead
  • Reviewed on 24/08/2018

"Buildium is the Best Around"

Comments: We have used multiple software systems for association management. Of all the systems we have tried, Buildium is the best around. They are constantly upgrading and improving their software, and they actually listen to user feedback and suggestions. We had the chance to meet with several Buildium representatives recently, and the experience was amazing. I look forward to continuing our relationship with Buildium for the long-term.

Pros: Buildium is very user friendly and easy to learn. Their accounting program actually makes sense without having an accounting degree, and their reports are easy to read. Bill approvals are a great addition! We also like the use of their mass mailing/communications portal. Our owners and tenants love the ease of the owner/tenant portal.

Cons: There are still some improvements that we would like to see. Specifically, we would like to see more association-specific accounting, such as specific charts of accounts and bulk reporting options for each individual association. I am optimistic that Buildium is listening to our feedback and making improvements, however.

by Buildium on 28/08/2018

Hi Jenessa,

Thank you so much for your review! Our team loved meeting with you this past month. We're focused on improvements for association management, stay tuned!

Best,

The Buildium Team

• Reviewed on 24/08/2018
Partner
  • Reviewed on 02/10/2018

"Good but not great"

Comments: I've been using buildium for seven years and I have seen it add more value every year but it's always at a cost of unusual behavior of the software or, as I've said above, non-intuitive interface (or outright incorrect programming). I've looked at other software for landlords and owners and Buildium has the most features for a relatively low cost. For the most part I'm happy but would appreciate a heads up when they are aware something is not working properly rather than the user having to discover it.

Pros: Makes communications and payments pretty easy with tenants through the Buildium software. We like our tenants can get insurance through their partnership with Buildium.

Cons: My accountant hates it. I have to do double entry with Buildium and Quickbooks. Their back systems sometimes fall short. (Reports not agreeing with their invoices to my company). The interface is clunky at best, especially renewing a lease. Not at all intuitive. Also, recently they have instituted "Captcha" with signing in. I hate it. Many times it's difficult to see the detail of photos you're asked to click on, such as "click on all crosswalks" - difficult to spot sometimes and just makes it take longer to log in.

• Reviewed on 02/10/2018
Lyman F.
Realtor / Property Manager
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"Buildium & Me"

Comments: Still learning this program. There are things that I feel I am doing it 2 or 3 times. (work orders, bills). I just need to learn this program better.

Pros: I am still learning this program. I can not comment on what I like the most yet.

Cons: The owner statement. They are always calling to ask when there's a repair bill that I deducted from the rent. Owner statement should deductions as a total. I found my notes are very important to be describe the deduction. Wish the owner statement would allow me to upload a copy of bill on owner statement & it show up on owner statements. I feel this would free up my time from answering calls explaining to owners the deductions. Then sending them copies of the bill to show them. Do not like the 3-5 day hold on funds received or paid out.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
John D.
Realtor
Real Estate, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/02/2017

"Great Product Good Features Lacking on Playing Well With Others"

Comments: When I started using Buildium I had just started my property management business and Buildium you gave me the opportunity to start with few units and expand as my business grew. As the technology expanded resulting in adding more features though it appears that it had become a nickel and dime approach. In the age of data sharing and technology, things like openly integrating with other products aren't capable with this product aka it "doesn't play well with others". What I mean to say is there is only one electronic signing choice there's only one ACH choice among other features. The product the staff and the customer service that comes with Buildium at times can be lacking including their technical support area, many times I find that the answer isn't directly answered or they deliver the answer as it is today and when given a suggestion they don't seem too terribly care about changing much.

Pros: Web-based (no software to install), Truly and All in One Package, Easy to use and navigate

Cons: My Biggest gripe is their lack of allowing any third party integrations.

• Reviewed on 11/02/2017
Frederick U.
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/12/2018

"We built our company on Buildium"

Comments: Overall Buildium is a very conscious company with fair pricing for a quality product. The company and its people try very hard to exceed customer expectations and are open to suggestions and feedback. The welcome compliments and critisisms with the same desire to improve.

Pros: I used Builium as my entire platform for HOA management. It was extremely easy to use internally and Buildium provided extremely easy access for external users to utilize products and features as well. Most of the features and reporting are completely customizable which for a multi application software is uniquely rare. The Buildium team's customer service is invaluable and similarily unique in the managed software world.

Cons: Buildium's software platform has a pre built accounting feature. HOA and Property mangement are by nature a very high focus of processing, managing, and tracking receivables and payables. The accounting feature is clumsy and poorly executed for what it was designed to accomplish.

• Reviewed on 11/12/2018
Leeanna S.
bookkeeper
  • Reviewed on 03/04/2019

"Best customer support!"

Comments: Pretty happy with Buildium. It is a program that is fairly easy to navigate. I love the process for 1099's.
It was a bonus to have them emailed as well this year. When we have a problem we can call Buildium for help they stay with you on the phone and walk you through the whole process. You never feel like they don't care they always make sure they help you solve the problem before they hang up.

Pros: Easy to navigate. Offers more functions than our company needs.
The awesome customer support is off the level of stars available.

Cons: Too many steps from recording a bill to printing the check.
When the 1099's were mailed out this year we had quite a few that were torn in the mailing process and returned to us as not being able to be delivered by the postal system as the address part was missing. Upon examining the 1099 I realized that there is a line that is perforated which evidently got caught in the postal machines making it very easy to tear. All of the ones that were torn were torn at that location.

• Reviewed on 03/04/2019
Monika K.
  • Reviewed on 17/06/2020

"Review of Buildium Software Program"

Comments: Overall, I give my experience a 9/10. I won't be changing programs anytime soon.

Pros: Very functional and easy to use for most people. It's easily customized for our company.
I like the tenant portals and the banking feature, general ledger and reporting.

Cons: I have asked for several years to have a report that lets us print an Owners List in a PDF format and it has never been implemented. It only allows you to print from the screen by right clicking the mouse to print
or is available in an excel spread sheet format, which is terrible and not professional. Which we never use Excel. The request has fallen on deaf ears. I would like to know why this has never been implemented. It's an easy request.

• Reviewed on 17/06/2020
Charlie S.
  • Reviewed on 01/11/2014

"Buildium for managing a Condominium Association"

Comments: I've been using Buildium for 16 months. I'm a property manager for a condominium association comprised of 137 units. Over all, I'm extremely satisfied with the functionality and customer service of this resource. I spend most of my time in the accounting module, recording payments from residents and issuing checks to our vendors. About half of our residents pay their monthly fees via direct deposit into our bank account. I've found two methods within Buildium that help to automate this process. Recurring transactions can be applied to the owner's account that are scheduled to occur on a specified date. A very convenient feature. However, I prefer to use an Excel spreadsheet to upload the transactions into Buildium, mostly because it allows me to verify that the bank has posted the transaction before I apply the payment to the owner's account. Either way, transactions can be processed in bulk saving lots of time. The owner's account ledger has many robust features for entering charges, payments, issuing credits, refunds and handling late fees. The ledger can be viewed by transaction date or by account. The current ledger can be downloaded as a PDF in a manner of seconds. The downloaded ledger can only be viewed by transaction date. I would like the option to download the document using Account view. Entering vendor invoices is convenient, and subsequent payment by check or ACH is a breeze. Vendor financials are organized in ledger format providing quick access to this information. The other module that has become essential to our business is the Work Order section. Once entered, the work order is emailed to our handyman and all the information he needs is at his fingertips. Once completed, I received an automated email in return, and proceed to generate a bill to make sure the vendor is paid quickly. Many other functions are made easy and convenient with Buildium. Bank reconciliations, budgets, report generation (Balance Sheet, Income Statement, etc), and delinquent accounts. For managing a condominium association, Buildium's features are robust and well-designed. I don't tap into the other functions designed for rental properties and therefore can't offer any useful evaluation. But from my perspective, I wouldn't be able to manage this property without Buildium.

• Reviewed on 01/11/2014
Lee M.
Commercial Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/03/2017

"I've used them all and came back to Buildium"

Comments: As a returning customer to Buildium, I cannot say enough good things about the flow, functionality and reporting the system offers. Since the make-over, the system is easy on the eyes, user friendly for 90% of its functions and really streamlines the day to day operations of property management. I am a customer for life.

Pros: The list is long, however, the things that stand out is the reporting system, the flow of the ledger and the audit function to see what actions different users make in the system. Buildium's customer service response time is incredible. Usually same day responses via e-mail but always within 24 hours. Phone support is also top notch.

Cons: If I had to pick a con, I'd have to say the time it takes to make product improvements. One function I would like is way to track guest cards or interested applicants for a waiting list of some sorts. In that same breath, I have to say I'd rather have it done right than have a launch with glitches.

• Reviewed on 11/03/2017
Kimberly M.
Owner & CEO
  • Reviewed on 04/09/2019

"Survey"

Comments: Solving all of my needs.
Owners like the reports that are generated to them.

Pros: I like the functionality of the product. Very easy to navigate, my tenants like the ability to pay on-line and request maintenance.

Cons: The length of time it takes to pay my owners...
They would rather me cash app Venmo or PayPal them.

• Reviewed on 04/09/2019
Adam K.
  • Reviewed on 22/08/2019

"Easy to use"

Comments: Overall this is a solid product and it continuing to improve.

Pros: very easy to use
simple layout
residents love the online payment options
it just makes sense.

Cons: some automation is needed.
no generation of 14 day pay or vacate
renewal offer generation has no options for month to month fees
would like to keep track of occupants of each apartment
reports change sometimes
need more reports available

• Reviewed on 22/08/2019
Shalyn A.
Real Estate Agent
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2018

"Great Product"

Comments: I have had great experience with this company I even tried others and they in no way compare to this product. It is a simple way for me to keep track of all of my transactions related to the properties I manage and see exactly where each property stands along with the Owner. This is a great product for the price!

Pros: It is easy to use, if there is something you don't understand they have many walk-through's to help you along the way. They also have a great customer service department where you can call or email to get assistance. My owners can access their reports at any time and it makes things run faster and smoother.

Cons: There are a few small things that they are in the process of working on, being able to take a payment from an LLC instead of having to use a property to put the money in. Not being able to organize things in alphabetical order on some of the pages. They have improved over the past year by a ton.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2018
Tammy B.
Maintenance coordinator
  • Reviewed on 16/08/2019

"User friendly"

Comments: Overall the system is very user friendly. You can find bills quickly.

Pros: The search engine. The ease of being able to find most anything quickly in the system.

Cons: How tasks come in from tenants. There is not a button to make them transfer to a work order. Also if we put a work order in the tenants can not see it.

• Reviewed on 16/08/2019
Susan M.
  • Reviewed on 03/09/2019

"Saving time with Buildium"

Comments: I have saved time using e-leasing and automatic posting of online payments.

Pros: E-leasing is a great time saver, and automatic posting of online payments is too.

Cons: financial reporting is not very robust. Simple things like having a total on the rent roll report, or a more user-friendly ad-hoc reporting system would be great. Could use the ability to track credit card accounts without using a work-around.

• Reviewed on 03/09/2019