TOPS [ONE] Reviews

• Overall
    3.6 /5
    3.8 /5
    3.6 /5

About TOPS [ONE]

Cloud-based community association management tool that offers owner accounting, service request tracking, document storing, and more.

Learn more about TOPS [ONE]

Jeffrey F.
  • Reviewed on 06/10/2011

Comments: I am the Vice President and General Manager for Steward Property Services, Inc., located in Petaluma, CA. We are a small company that has a strong local reputation that has been built over twenty years of managing Common Interest Developments from Ukiah to San Rafael. We have a unique take on managing HOAs and prefer to work toward a sense of community, rather than as enforcement agents. However, every Board we manage and every Association we manage is unique and they all have their own priorities, which we try our best to satisfy. When I started with this company over five years ago, the housing market was just beginning to crash. Foreclosures and bankruptcies were skyrocketing and our operational needs were multiplying faster than we could handle. This is when I started looking to consolidate our operations and use technology to increase efficiency in an effort to lower costs for our clients. We had been using software that was geared toward rental properties and creating customized communication using the Microsoft Office Suite. As our business began to grow, and I was promoted into more of a supervisory position, there was no way for me to provide accurate or constructive oversight because everyone seemed to be "doing their own thing." When I came across TOPS software, a light came on. All of their features fit all of our needs and everything was bundled into one nice package, which also functioned as a centralized database for all of the information that we had previously had to create individual folders for. The housing of data was also attractive because much of this could be kept digitally and we could begin decreasing our paper use. I researched many competitors and many different types of programs. The answer, for me, quickly became obvious. TOPS would be the perfect solution for our company. I worked with their sales department and expressed my problems and needs and they were able to define for me how TOPS could help. In 2008, we purchased the software with the intent of having our accounting department test it and become familiar with it, before introducing it to the management side of the house. This was incremental because we were able to first import all of our accounts from our previous software. Because we had our own unique needs, we chose to transfer all of the data ourselves, but if you are not that tech savvy, TOPS has conversion specialists that can work with almost any kind of database and get you up and running quickly. TOPS worked with our banks so that we could import and export data for check writing, reconciliations, deposits and all other areas of accounting functionality. We were able to convert all of our properties as their fiscal cycles renewed and began 2009 with all of our accounts in TOPS. The hiccups were minimal, but I was sure to purchase their unlimited tech support, and this has become incredibly valuable, as we have progressed. They are so friendly and helpful with minor user issues, but when our server crashed and we had to convert all of our backup data to our new server, TOPS worked overtime to make sure that we were up and running as soon as possible. If we want to customize any of our operations within TOPS, tech support and their training department have helped us get there. The training classes are fantastic and easy for any user, no matter the skill level. Once we transitioned this software to our managers, the reaction was immediate. Our managers actually thanked me for making their jobs easier. I helped them set up their form letters and CC&R tables, and suddenly their mountain of violation work had been streamlined and easily archived for reference. The reports helped them manage work orders, phone calls, and follow up on violations. I helped accounting set up their delinquency tables and tracking became a breeze. It was easier to train my successor on the delinquency process because TOPS streamlines and tracks the progress of the delinquency and using the job streaming function allowed the delinquency process to be completed in a matter of minutes, versus what used to take us three or four days. I could type on and on about how valuable TOPS has been to our business. They are constantly evolving the software and developing partnerships with companies such as AtHomeNet.com, who created and manages Association websites for us and is able to work with TOPS so that users can securely login to their Association site and view pertinent accounting data and reports. I try to attend any seminar TOPS offers because their products keep evolving so rapidly, I don't want to miss out. If you are thinking of transitioning software, I highly recommend TOPS for both small and large management companies. If you would ever like to speak with me about our experience, someone at TOPS can put you in touch with me. Or use the contacts listed in this review. I could not be happier with the choice we made. I hope you have success too!

• Reviewed on 06/10/2011
Tiffany J.
Community Manager
  • Reviewed on 25/06/2018

"TOPS One Worth the Effort - Paid off BIG Time!"

Comments: Now that the pains of set up are over, we are all loving TOPS One. Since it is a new system they still have some bugs to work out; however, I have found the support team to be very responsive. Their enhancement program is nice, it allows you to recommend changes to upgrade the system to better suit your business needs. You will need to have a comprehensive plan in place, starting with the accounting transition and the patience to work through the transition. I learned a tremendous amount during this time and feel like I truly have a solid grasp on the accounting functions and reporting much better than beforehand.

Pros: Love having all property, accounting and resident information at my fingertips. Great for onsite managers. Provides real time reports and transparency of management operations to the board. Paying for itself double fold!

Cons: Set up was far from painless. Would definitely recommend the TOPS One Support Team find a way to assist in the transition by providing a comprehensive preparation plan.

• Reviewed on 25/06/2018
Lona R.
Accounting/Tech Support
  • Reviewed on 26/06/2017

"Don't Bother with this"

Comments: Mike Hardy please get the issues with your first program corrected and don't sell your new one so fast. You made a lot of people unhappy.

Pros: The first program is easy to use and for someone who has a hard time learning something new. That's all I have to say!

Cons: Something is always wrong with the program. A/R goes off all the time and have to fix financials. Always something wrong where you have to call support and call Trapps. They work off 2 servers. New TOPS One is a mess and they will sell you with the accounting being all wrong and more issues than the first program. They don't have the software down correctly, too busy, not the easiest to use, doesn't have everything you need because they are still working it all out. TOPS One started too fast and they aren't and still aren't ready. They shouldn't be selling it but they are worried more for money than anything. Do yourself a favor, go with another program.

• Reviewed on 26/06/2017
Chris C.
Assistant General Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2019

"Buyer Beware"

Comments: Incredibly frustrating. Too many bugs with the software. Customer service is HORRIBLE! Days to a week will pass before somebody will finally return our calls about problems with the software.

Pros: Nothing....Absolutely nothing. Complete regrets choosing this software

Cons: "CCR" Need an area to separately track Compliance and Architecture Review.

by TOPS Software on 11/11/2019

Chris,

Let me first apologize for the experience you've had, and thank you for your candid feedback. I know that since leaving this review, you've had conversations with our Director of Customer Experience, Teri Perez, as well as your Customer Success Manager, Lindsay, about your concerns with the CCR module and the expectations you have for our responsiveness.

If you're willing, we'd all like to speak with you about how the software has been working for you since this review and that phone call. If you find the time to chat with us, give me a call at our direct line, (800) 760 - 9966, and ask for the Marketing Campaign Manager, Meigan Thompson (that's me).

Again, Chris, thank you for your honesty, we appreciate the opportunity to learn from our missteps to best serve TOPS users. I hope to hear from you soon.

-Meigan at TOPS

• Reviewed on 24/07/2019
Beth S.
Vice President
  • Reviewed on 21/03/2018

"TOPS[ONE] exceeds our company's needs"

Comments: I have always had an extremely good experience with TOPS from tech support to sales to management! I love the product!

Pros: TOPS[ONE] is an easy to use product. It is intuitive and has made the transition from TOPSPro to ONE a pretty smooth process. TOPS has recently upgraded their support and it is excellent. I get quick, knowledgeable help. Training was thorough. New, innovative services are continuously added. TOPS is extremely responsive to customer feedback and requests.

Cons: There are some things that aren't as easy to use as in TOPSPro, but after talking to TOPS, I have found out those things are coming in the 2nd quarter.

• Reviewed on 21/03/2018
Vicki C.
Bookkeeper

"TopsOne Review"

Comments: Overall we are very happy with TopsOne. It was a slow start because there were many kinks that needed to be worked out but the IT staff were great and helped us along the way.

Pros: The versatility of the software. There is so much that this software is capable of doing.

Cons: The Cash Receipts option. It gets confused and applies money incorrectly at times. I wish you could edit the batch instead of having to delete and start over.

by TOPS Software on 20/12/2018

Hi Vicki! Thank you for letting us know about your issue with the Cash Receipts option. We¿ve forwarded this feedback on to the appropriate team. Our goal at TOPS is to constantly better ourselves and our products to best serve the needs of the industry and our clients. We¿ve also let our support staff know that you appreciate them! They love hearing from clients about the work they do. We look forward to continuing to serve you!

Joanna L.
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2018

"Most of the time the programs features do not work."

Comments: There were no benefits except to learn to read reviews before purchasing a product.

Pros: Easy of use when it does work, easy to navigate through. The cloud based is a nice feature as well.

Cons: It is just released before it is ready to be. Features don't work, the accounting is awful and when you try to get customer support you will pull your hair out. I takes over 48 hours to get someone to call you to tell you it's not something they can solve and has to go to Development which never gets solved.

by TOPS Software on 28/11/2018

Joanna, I am sorry to hear your frustrations. As you said, it is a new product and it is (and will continue) to be improved. In the time since you reviewed, we have made continual updates to the app, addressing many of the issues you mention. We would love to hear an update on your review if you feel your experience has improved!

• Reviewed on 21/07/2018
Julie M.
Manager of Support Services
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2017

"We have been using Tops for over 20 years, currently using TOPS pro and considering upgrade to TOPS1"

Comments: We have researched several other software packages, and TOPS1 appears to be the most cost effective choice moving forward. TOPS1 provides the best balance of accounting and member service options for our HOA. TOPS1 includes premium support, so that takes care of our issue with support.

Pros: Over the years we have developed a good relationship with staff at TOPS. We are able to use the software for most of our member and accounting tasks. There are excellent form letter options, gate/parking permit tracking and CC&R enforcement tracking.

Cons: We were disappointed when it became necessary to pay extra (double) for premium support to wait on hold for support. Currently it can take a couple of days for TOPS to call us back on issues. We lost about 5 days in 2017 due to waiting for call backs.

• Reviewed on 13/10/2017
Gina H.
  • Reviewed on 27/03/2012

Comments: We have been a Tops customer for over 6 years and can’t imagine how we operated without it. Starting up my management business back in 2004 I came from a large management company that used self-made software, which was fairly inexpensive. I searched several companies including TOPS and ended up purchasing another companies software primarily due to price. I used the software for less than 6 months and the time I was spending trying to maneuver through the glitches and the hours spent on the phone with their customer support I could have paid for TOPS software twice over. I have recommended Tops to many colleagues in my industry. It never seems to amaze me when they call me to tell me how easy it is to use and how great their customer support team is. TOPS has streamlined our business and we wouldn’t consider ever using anything else. I have used TOPS trainers on a few occasions to come to our office and I would recommend that anyone purchasing TOPS hire a trainer to come in and train you for a few days. It is easy to use, but much more efficient with the training. We have used most of the modules provided and our newest two are the maintenance modular, which is so much easier than trying to do it the old fashion way and the TOPS go, which we are just starting to use. The managers are asking how they made it without this feature before. In my opinion TOPS has cornered the market when it comes to Association Software. Great Job and keep bringing us those new features; we love them!

• Reviewed on 27/03/2012
Burke N.
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2018

"TOPS has gone down hill"

Comments: We started with TOPs IQ and it was okay. Support started out good but then they sold us on tops one with a better interface and a lot of promises. TOPS one has been a major disappointment.
Changing management software is a big undertaking, don't commit to tops because you will regret it. It has cost our company thousands of dollars in setup, increased subscription costs and lost time for managers.

Cons: They sold us with great functionality and promises but after we paid for setup and training we found out that it couldn't do basic stuff like send emails from our company email address. It has now been over a year and the product is still not there and they never respond to inquiries.

by Meigan on 25/06/2018

Hi Burke,

We know the stress that changing software can cause. We strive to make that transition as smooth as possible, and we apologize if that effort did not live up to your expectations.
One of our most recent updates tackles the email concerns you mentioned. You can find it, and all of our latest releases, here: http://www.topssoft.com/blogs/tops-customers/topic/program-updates).
In the year since TOPS [ONE] has been released, we have continued to add features and functionalities such as this to TOPS [ONE] to reach feature parity with TOPS Professional.
We are working diligently to improve our products and your input is a large part of that. Thank you for your patience, we hope you will continue to share your feedback with us and help us to better serve you.

• Reviewed on 22/01/2018
Melanie D.
  • Reviewed on 18/09/2014

"Easy to use!"

Pros: It's easy to use and has what we need in one software package and at our fingertips. We are able to save so much time compared to our last software. In the beginning, it seemed like we must be missing steps, because things just didn't take as long as they had in the past.

Cons: I don't like the customer support. Aside from our problems with customer support and getting things corrected, the other least favorite aspect of TOPS is not being able to modify reports and financials like I would like to. I am used to having the ability to change things and that just isn't possible with TOPS. We were told before we purchased that they are working on modifications to where we can make some changes. I really hope that happens.

• Reviewed on 18/09/2014
Robin R.
  • Reviewed on 08/03/2012

Comments: We are a financial services company that works with different management companies and self managed associations. We act as their "Accounting Department" to allow management companies to avoid the overhead of an accounting department. We were using Avgar since we started the company in 1995. Since it stopped being supported, after being sold to Jenark, we started looking for different software that would grow with us and help us grow. We spoke to Andrew, did a Demo and liked what we saw. We started our conversion in December 2010 and finally completed all 300 associations as of the end of December 2011. We wanted to make sure we were completely used to the new software before bringing all of our clients on. It has been a slow process, but all of the people we have worked with at TOPS have been exceptional. The Tech support group is great answering all of my dumb questions. The conversion coordinator is wonderful. And Andrew is always there for us. Every time I tell a prospective client that we are on TOPS, they are impressed. I would recommend this product for anyone wanting an integrated package.

Coreen M.
  • Reviewed on 08/03/2012

Comments: I am the office manager/accountant for Lake Sherwood Estates Association, which is a 1300-acre lake community in MO. We are very unique in that we are a homeowners association with both lot owners (aprox. 480) and lot owners (aprox. 1400), who use us as a recreational/vacation community. We have a 24-hour a day guarded gate where residents and lot owners call in all their guests. We have 6 lakes that we rent docks, parking spaces, and rack for boat storage. We also own and operate our own water system. We read, enter all metered information, and then bill our residents monthly. TOPS is one of the very few options of software that allow us to manage all of this information and accurately bill our members. It has been a learning process, but software support is always extremely helpful!!! They take our recommendations seriously and work towards making the product more efficient for us as an organization. We are thrilled we found TOPS! It has saved our organization a tremendous amount of time and for that we are thankful.

Jennifer F.
IT Systems Administrator
  • Reviewed on 12/06/2014

"Banyan/GRS Merger"

Comments: Business is great in Palm Beach County and we are having growing pains. We are in the process of merging Banyan Property Management and GRS Management Associates. Both companies were each managing over 100 communities prior to the merger. Now we have integrated two TOPS installations onto one IT platform. The folks at TOPS have been consistently helpful every step of the way. Teri's technical support team are great folks. Each team member is knowledgeable and patient. Teri's team is truly one of the best technical support groups I have worked with over the course of 25 years in the IT industry. Thanks guys. You are the best!

by TOPS Software on 23/07/2014

Jennifer, thank you so much for sharing your story! Integrating two companies into one is a nightmare by anyone's standards and I am so happy that the process has gone (relatively) smoothly for you.

I can't help but agree that the TOPS support team are secret superheroes, hiding their capes in a drawer by their desk!

• Reviewed on 12/06/2014
Julie S.
    2.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 23/05/2016

"We have used TOPS PRO since 2008"

Pros: The team is extremely friendly and the platform of the product has everything we need.

Cons: The wait time for tech services if you do not pay for Premium support

• Reviewed on 23/05/2016
Nicolas H.
    3.5 /5
    2.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 28/09/2016

"TOP Speed Software"

Pros: The software is very user friendly and easy to navigate.

Cons: The software is not web-based and can slow down the network.

• Reviewed on 28/09/2016
Carly G.
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2012

Comments: As an administrative assistant to the owner of a small property management company, I am faced with many daily requests to handle various tasks for our communities. I find TOPS to be of great help in many ways, from looking up owner info, account histories, payables details and G/L accounts. It's all right there and very easy to access. TOPS software is very user friendly, even for someone who is not that computer savvy. The support system at TOPS is great!! If there is ever a problem they are right there to help you- just a phone call away. We have had TOPS for several years now, and went through the transition to the newest version last year. It was pretty seamless. I think this is a great product and they offer free webinars for different aspects of the software. Every time I take a webinar I learn something new. Keep up the great work TOPS!

• Reviewed on 16/01/2012
Tejas K.
  • Reviewed on 18/06/2013

Comments: Our experience utilizing TOPS software for our association management business has been nothing short of wonderful. From owner database management, to work order management, to the accounting module and reporting, the software is just what we need to conduct our operations efficiently. Utilizing their hosted solution has also been a great move for us, as it cuts down on server costs whilst improving server performance. Customer service is helpful and responds quickly to our needs, something which we found was missing in the competition. I would especially like to thank Teri P. and Chris P., but also the entire team at TOPS for superb service.

• Reviewed on 18/06/2013
Carla C.
Accountant
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2018

"The worst software I have ever used. There are so many issues with this software."

Cons: The software doesn't work or produce any reports that are correct. All bank postings from Lockbox are incorrect and they don't know how to fix it.

by TOPS Software on 07/06/2018

Carla, thank you for your feedback. Every bit of constructive criticism we receive helps us to build a better product for our customers.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2018
Ed L.
GM
Hospitality, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/12/2018

"Too many issues, not enough training and support."

Comments: TOPS has not helped us solve any business problems but rather create more problem and more work for staff.

Pros: The look and what it can potentially deliver.

Cons: Software contains many bugs and issues that TOPS has not been able to fix nor do they have an answer for.

• Reviewed on 19/12/2018
Julia C.
Property Manager
  • Reviewed on 17/07/2014

"TOPS is TOPS!"

Comments: TOPS Software is incredibly industry specific. The developers have truly tapped into what is needed to be an organized and top notch Property Manager. TOPS allows them to handle the myriad of details and projects with ease.

by TOPS Software on 28/11/2018

Thank you! You're tops in our book too Julia!

• Reviewed on 17/07/2014
Jay P.
Vice President
  • Reviewed on 03/07/2016

"Full of Bugs and No Support"

Pros: The vendor has very nice and professional employees

Cons: The software is full of bugs and links mysteriously stop working. Print to screen might work on some reports, not others. Email a homeowner, no way. Cant open that link at all. After upgrading and buying the new Professional a year and a half ago the product is obsolete and not supported. They want us to pay additional $ a month to fix the errors in their program.

by Andrea on 22/07/2016

Jay, thank you for taking the time to share your opinion on TOPS. Feedback like yours keeps us honest and allows us to continually improve both as a company, and in our products themselves.

I am very sorry to hear that you have had some problems using the software. As I am sure you know, every software program (even the big boys!) have issues that sneak their way into the code. This is why we offer the monthly support plan for clients not only to have access to our world class support team, but also to provide you with regular updates to the software. More than just new features, these semi-annual updates include many bug fixes.

Because the product that you purchased is a stand-alone Windows product, the only way we can afford to provide the level of support we offer is to charge a monthly maintenance fee.

With our newer, SAAS products, support and updates are included in the monthly fees, but there is no way to do that for a one-time purchase. So yes. We do charge for support. But we do offer scaled plans that make it cost effective for smaller organizations like yours. And I promise you, it's worth the price.

• Reviewed on 03/07/2016
Kathy B.
Principal
Management Consulting, Self Employed

"Breath of Fresh Air"

Comments: Like with TOPS Pro, it is an all-in-one solution. It has improved 100 fold by becoming web based with the portals. It was a bit of a learning curve switching from Pro to One but it is still very user friendly. I use it as a selling feature when pitching to potential clients. I love it and have no regrets on my purchase!

Pros: I love that it is cloud based and appealing to the eye. It is easy to add Board members as additional users and control what they can alter. Owners can log in to portals which makes it an inexpensive alternative to websites. I love all the partner integrations that they offer.

Cons: I wish it would further integrate with their partners. I also wish that it would remember some of the ways you like to toggle things instead of having to do it every time you log in.

by TOPS Software on 28/11/2018

What a delightful review Kathy! Thank you so much for your kind words! We do have much more planned for our industry partnerships in the future, so keep an eye on those product update notices!

Nina P.
Accounting Clerk
  • Reviewed on 30/11/2018

"Tops One is great but still needs some advance features"

Comments: My overall experience with Tops One, considering I am a beginner with this software, has been a extensive learning one.

Pros: What I like most about the software is the easy navigation between the functions available. For example, posting payments thru the AR- Cash Receipts provided under the AR-Accounts Receivable tab. It's easy to post a payment on a unit owners account.

Cons: The least I like about the software are: 1) from an accountant perspective and having QuickBooks knowledge doing adjustments and rectifying ledger accounts are a bit confusing. The Debits and Credits seem to work backwards in this software which causes major confusion when making adjustments. 2) Is not having an auto function for bank transaction integration . Currently all deposits made through the bank, the bank provides a text file which we then upload into Tops One (lockbox cash reciepts). For expenses we have to post manually. Quickbooks has a bank integration module which downloads bank transactions into the software which then the accountant can review and post with one click of a button without having to manually input transactions. Having this kind of integration will definitely provide a more realistic and real time bank balances.

by TOPS Software on 20/12/2018

Nina, thank you so much for submitting this feedback! We¿re always glad to hear that the software is simple to navigate, and while we know it comes with a bit of a learning curve, we hope that our training and implementation team has made that educational experience a pleasant one!

• Reviewed on 30/11/2018
Marc K.
Property Manager
  • Reviewed on 13/03/2018

"Please read before buying this! what a nightmare!!!"

Comments: If your goal is to run your office efficiently then I suggest you do not use tops one!! I was so excited after talking to the sales rep about all the cool changes we could make and not one of the promises turned out! I have sent at least 10 emails to ask them when I am getting my training on the compliance and management side of the software and I was told the rep will call me and then after more emails from me i was told some other rep will call me then after another email today they told me the third rep is going to be reaching out to me. That is what inspired the review! I can't believe this company is able to stay in business or are they on their way out and that is why all the issues many companies are having. I also called other companies across Utah and Arizona that use tops and I have asked them if they are having the same problems and I have had every one of the companies tell me they are looking to change! Don't buy this product you will regret your choice. The next step to get back my money/training and misdirected promises would be get a lawyer involved. Sad that they can just be honest and fair to their clients

Cons: One year later and still haven't been fully trained like I was promised they took thousands of dollars from me no problem. I have to pay on time but they don't have to deliver on anything.
The support takes way too long to get answers or they don't have answers
The emails only go out in Tops software's name and you can't customize the subject line if emailed not the scheduler
Many people saying they aren't getting the emails from the software even though it says it was sent
The financials always have mistakes that they can't explain then we have to wait for them to fix them
Annual budget to update is very difficult to do. not user-friendly. you can hide the zeroed line items while updated the budget. good luck!
They say the financial layout is customizable but yet when we ask if we can do things they say well you can't do that!
Our CPA says The default financial isn't set up to the standard of typical financial statement
Unable to delete certain data that they said we could during the demo
The tradition has been a painful process! They said it is easy! it is not!!
They said it works good with a Mac computer but it doesnt! yes it is web based but any docs downloaded or files you need to work with are not MAC friendly
Reports take very long to download! Custom reports are not user friendly
It crashes and times out
It does not have simple commands like putting tables in alphabetical order or descending/ascending order. It also does not imp/exp very good

by TOPS Software on 07/06/2018

Marc, thank you for posting your review in so many places, we have really got to stop meeting like this!

I know that you have spent excessive time with our support team and with Teri Perez, our support manager, and that you have experienced a resolution of many, if not all of the issues listed here.

I appreciate that you continue to be a user of TOPS ONE, as a show of faith in our commitment to our clients and their needs. We promise to continue to work hard to win back your love and affection!

• Reviewed on 13/03/2018