15 years helping Australian businesses

About Canto

As a leader in digital asset management (DAM), Canto is the simplest, yet most powerful DAM platform on the market.

Learn more about Canto

Pros:

The search tool is great and has recently integrated smart tagging which I love.

Cons:

The inability to work on Adobe files from the server.

Canto ratings

4.4
4.5
4.3
4.4

8.5/10

Canto has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 676 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Canto before?

Tara
Tara
Director of Marketing in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Great visual product and storage solution aside from a few small inconveniences

Comments: Overall we had a good experience—the sales team was helpful, the onboarding team not-so-much (which we passed that feedback on accordingly and they listened), so it took my team a little while to get fully up and running using Canto. Now we have fully implemented it across our organization, and I hope Canto continues to grow and improve the product because we hope to use it for years to come.

Pros:

I love the visual layout of the product—another competitor we were considering had a terrible UI / UX and that is really important to my marketing team who is very visual! Also we loved the search feature and the tagging.

Cons:

The way the app loads on a MacBook Retina makes it look a little low quality / not the highly resolution of software design. That part makes it feel a little cheap to be honest? Also I don't like that Canto will reload on you at random times (automatically refresh your browser page), even if you were in the middle of a long scrolled search for specific imagery. It will lose your place and have you start over.

Alternatives Considered: PhotoShelter for Brands

Reasons for Switching to Canto: For the UI / UX - and the visual search. The layout and overall experience just felt easier, and I needed this product to be well-used by team members who don't have time or need to learn a new tool. PhotoShelter felt slightly more advanced, and was more expensive, and was also more complicated.

Jessica
Jessica
Game Programmer in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Effective Tool for Managing Digital Assets

Comments: Since there is no longer a need for a middleman, the company may more easily acquire the supplies they require. I also like how it serves as a visual record of the development of the business. It has given us a secure channel through which to disseminate resources like guides and movies to the appropriate parties.

Pros:

I appreciate the ability to tag objects, store related information, and recognize faces. [sensitive content hidden] has been very helpful, and checking in with him to find out what's happening with Canto never feels like work. The fact that there appears to be an answer to every query I could possibly have impresses me greatly; such materials must have been painstakingly compiled.

Cons:

Working with a single sign-on login can be perplexing for those who are only visiting your site and not contributing or consuming content. Less technically competent users may be confused by the steps required to clear cookies and restart the browser.

Felix
Senior Manager Global Advertising in Germany
Apparel & Fashion, 10,000+ Employees

Practical tool but barely innovative.

Comments: Canto enables me to grant file access to many of our departments world wide.

Pros:

Canto seems to be simple enough for even unexperienced users. It is clearly structured and all functions are easy to spot and use.

Cons:

For a software that was recently developed it seems rather simple in style and function: we only received what we specifically asked for and there is nothing wrong with it but a bit of innovation goes a long way. Why not connect it with actual folders on our operating system Microsoft Windows like Dropbox: At some point, we will need to store all files somewhere anyway to upload them to Canto, why not allow a direct uplad from a designated folder windows without having to open the browser? Make that folder accessable via FTP connection, too to have backup access when Canto is down or when there is a browser problem. Image previews and navigating through Canto should easier: navigating through it takes time, sometimes you might select a wrong image due to bad visibility of small thumbnails and even going back one step wastes precious time due to loading time and selecting a new image. I would suggest a slide show feature like the standard picture viewer in Microsoft Windows. Same goes for Video previews. I like working with Canto but it always feels like we are working with a beta version, waiting for the shiny real thing to arrive.

Pamela
Project Manager- Design & Construction in US
Design, 51–200 Employees

Canto is a step ahead and in some ways almost too good to be true!

Comments: My overall experience with Canto up to now is amazing! We have made it possible to combine information from all our company departments and combine them to be helpful to anyone needing something.
There is not much else out there that will be any better or do any more for you. Its perks are endless and they stand behind their software!

Pros:

There are many things that I like best about Canto, but I will definitely say I love that our ability to store and access so much more data and information and be able to access it easier is a huge plus! I love the Canto has the ability to upload and view any type of file you may throw at it, CAD/DWG was a big surprise to me but super exciting! I like that Canto has fantastic security behind it and that our information is safe. I like that you are able to give permissions and restrict certain or specific files and information. I also love that you have the ability to enter in so many different tags for one document, file or photo. It makes it much easier to search for because we all know that different people will describe something a little different each time!

Cons:

I wish that Canto was a little brighter when it came to the "smart tags" that it automatically gives when you upload a document or photo. I think there are alot more "common" words or descriptions that could be added to its vocabulary. It would be very helpful for the unexperienced uploader or the person who just isn't good at describing things. It certainly takes some training to navigate and use properly, and you have to get used to how they refer to things differently.

Alternatives Considered: MediaValet , PhotoShelter for Brands and Brandfolder

Reasons for Switching to Canto: Because honestly, to our team members, there doesn't seem to be anything else out there that will be any better or do any more for us in terms of what we are needing. Its perks are endless and they stand behind their software!

Higher Education, 501–1,000 Employees

Stay Organized In Style - Great for Multiple Users

Comments: Overall the experience has been good - customer service is prompt and helpful and they respond quickly to issues. Overall it serve the purpose of organizing, tagging, filtering, searching, downloading and sharing. The feedback has been positive from other users, so long as they can find what they are looking for (and this is due to whomever is in charge, tagging, and doing the organizing). This is not a product that will take care of itself, you need an administrator that is working in the product on a regular basis to make it work.

Pros:

We decided to use Canto because of many features including the design, customizability, customer service, large thumbnails, organizational structure, tagging feature, and portal for outside consumers.

Cons:

You really need an organized person to keep this DAM working for everyone in your company/business so that the organizational structure makes sense. The less cooks in the kitchen, the better - one person should really spearhead the overall design, tags and org. Overall it works for High-Ed. Must pay attention to the little things (like expiring links to photos or albums) - can get tedious and redundant where you need to fix links if you don't pay attention to these things in the beginning.

4 years ago

Thank you for sharing your experience with using Canto!

Jared
Jared
Senior Graphic Designer in US
Higher Education, 201–500 Employees

Great product that is easy to use.

Comments: Our representative always responds to us in a timely manner. She is very helpful with any questions or Canto solutions that our university might be interested in.

Pros:

I really like how easy it is to upload, organize and tag photos. The facial recognition feature is great when dealing with lots of photos of people, like we do as a university. It is amazingly accurate and will recognize people from photos when they were 20 years younger. It's very easy to search for photos.

Cons:

I can't complain. We probably don't take advantage of a lot of features Canto has to offer.

Alternatives Considered: PhotoShelter for Brands

Reasons for Choosing Canto: ResourceSpace was an open source platform that served its purpose. It's searching feature was very clunky and it took a lot of time to maintain.

Switched From: ResourceSpace

3 years ago

We appreciate your review, Jared! The facial recognition tool is one of our favorites too!

Michelle
Michelle
Marketing Manager in US
Insurance, 201–500 Employees

Canto Met all of Our Expectations and More

Comments: I think the amount of uses that we have found beyond our standard need case of storing and easily searching our large photos has been numerous. Easily sharing documents and links have been invaluable. Our training department is now using it to provide ongoing training to our teams, we have several portals for different use cases.

Pros:

Canto has been easy to use and easy to get up and running. The simplicity of having all of our images in one place have been astronomical. The amount of time spent wasted looking for marketing images has been eliminated completely. That was our main purpose for selecting a DAM platform.

Cons:

The only bad thing I can say was our onboarding tech wasn't really the greatest. Her training was not great. She was good at keeping her meetings and the scheduling, but when she was on, she had a hard time keeping track of where she was at with training. There was some wasted time. there.

Alternatives Considered: PhotoShelter for Brands , Brandfolder and Acquia DAM (Widen)

Reasons for Switching to Canto: Better pricing, unlimited portals, the meta data does embed within the file so if we ever did want to move away, we aren't locked in.

Jonathan
Jonathan
Chief Geek in US
Printing, 11–50 Employees

Top Tier DAM

Pros:

Canto is extremely user friendly, straight forward, and a great value. All support is provided in-house and they go above and beyond to resolve issues.

Cons:

There is not a feature that Canto doesn't offer. CDN performance with faster loading would be my only suggestion.

4 years ago

Thank you for the review, Jonathan! We're happy to hear that Canto, from using the product to interacting with the team, has been such a positive experience for you.

Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Manage your assets safely and easily.

Comments: I'm very satisfied with Canto, it is a great evolution in our ways of work.

Pros:

Canto is very intent and its automations allow you to easily locate files.

Cons:

The lack of integration for importing files.

Jennifer
Jennifer
Marketing Communications Coordinator in US
Civil Engineering, 501–1,000 Employees

Great Value DAM

Pros:

The ability to create custom fields, manage our database, and our workflows.

Cons:

There were some difficulties getting our previous library and the data associated with each asset moved over. However once we got that done it has been a much better library experience than our old DAM.

4 years ago

We appreciate the feedback, Jennifer! Thanks for sharing your experience of migration and implementation.

Stephenie
Senior Designer in Canada
Graphic Design, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Working smarter not harder!

Comments: We are just getting started with Canto but LOVE it! We have over 15,000 assets uploaded to our system to-date and have only been using the product since March 1, 2020. Every day we are learning some new functions of Canto and how to better organize and tag our assets to make magic happen! Canto is worth the cost and I'm excited to keep exploring all the functions it has to offer to us and our clients!

Pros:

I love Canto's Facial recognition feature! We have a lot of assets where we need to identify people and facial recognition has changed everything! now we can search for people by name and access every photo asset we have of that person! Game changer! I also love being able to relate files and add custom fields to assets. This has come in so handy when we need to connect people's images to their stories and FOIP information. Canto has really helped us work smarter and not harder to find all of the assets we have in a more dynamic way!

Cons:

We have found the uploading of assets to be a little more work than anticipated. The Canto Connect desktop application is helpful but when initially setting up out canto product it is a lot of work. When you have over 20,000 assets to upload it takes a team of people to make that happen and a good amount of time to get everything uploaded.

Alternatives Considered: MediaValet and Bynder

Reasons for Switching to Canto: The cost was much more financially accessible and Canto offered the facial recognition feature which the others currently did not. Also, Canto was able to connect to our Drupal websites and Adobe creative suite without much of an additional cost. Overall Canto offered the most features and the lowest cost!

Jason
Graphic Designer in US
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Canto is a great solution!

Comments: We are using Canto to house our image library and files. We will also use it to give people in different department easy access to our brand standards and logos. Outside vendors will be able to search for anything they might need directly from Canto too. As a designer Canto helps me to quickly find appropriate files for any project I am working on. Canto is great for organizations with a large image library. You are able to tag images appropriately to be able to find them easily in the future. It also works well if your organization manages multiple brands, you can easily filter through exactly what you need for each brand. The price compared to most of the competition was a big part of why we moved forward with Canto.

Pros:

1. Canto team was very supportive during the onboarding process 2. Endless possibilities with tagging images 3. Ability to use directly in Adobe products with plug-in

Cons:

1. No uncheck all feature 2. Issues with uploading large batch of files

Alternatives Considered: Brandfolder

Reasons for Switching to Canto: The price compared to most of the competition was a big part of why we moved forward with Canto. It offered similar functions as the more expensive products.

3 years ago

Thank you for this review, Jason. To uncheck all, you can hit the "Deselect All" button in the icon bar!

Cari
Asst. Director of Marketing and Public Relations in US
Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Great management system

Comments: A digital asset management system was greatly needed for NPC and Canto has been a good solution for us. We appreciated that they worked with our budget to come up with a plan tailored to our needs.

Pros:

Canto helps organize our thousands of digital assets. We especially like that we can upload photos, videos, music, and Adobe files. It is helpful as a photo library but also in project collaboration.

Cons:

Canto is not terribly user friendly. Customer service is great and is eager to help you, but some features are buried and if not in frequent use you'll find yourself asking for help for the same tasks.

Alternatives Considered: PhotoShelter for Brands

Reasons for Switching to Canto: Facial recognition was a huge selling point over Libris.

4 years ago

Hi Cari, thanks for reviewing Canto! We're happy to hear that Canto is your photo library that assists in collaboration. An account manager will be reaching out soon regarding any trouble you're having with locating certain features.

Matt
CTO in US
Recreational Facilities & Services, 51–200 Employees

It's all about organization

Comments: Our expierence with Canto has been great. They continue to develop features and customer support is very helpful. The biggest value for our team was being able to find images and videos when we need them for our projects and super simple assest shareing with our team and outside designers.

Pros:

We needed a solution to get our ever-growing photo and video library under control. Canto offered the most robust yet easy to use system for organization of our digital assets. File/folder trees, albums, smart albums, keywords, tags, facial recognition, and most importantly duplication detection that actually works.

Cons:

as a relitivly small business Canto was an big expence for us espically when compared to the relitive low costs for online storage like dropbox or google drive and google photos.

Grace
Creative Producer in US
Retail, 201–500 Employees

Great asset for your value!

Comments: I really enjoy Canto I think it is an amazing product especially for the value.

Pros:

Canto is super easy to use and makes on-boarding team members super easy. It has great commenting features that helps us with retouching and approvals. One of my other most favorite features is the edit tool to make one asset live in multiple albums etc.

Cons:

I wish the interface was a bit more current some of the navigation seems a bit antiquated. For example you can't go back within the canto interface you have to go back on the browser. It is also really sensitive to internet so if you loaded a bunch of sub folders and it refreshes the browser it does not remember where you were.

Alternatives Considered: globaledit and Acquia DAM (Widen)

Reasons for Switching to Canto: It was the best price for the most storage and fit the archival needs we were looking for.

Paul
Digital Asset Manager / Manager of Post Production in US
Retail, 1,001–5,000 Employees

We love Canto

Comments: Very simple and straight forward. No surprises. Friendly and fast to respond customer service who go above and beyond to ensure we have the best user experience possible. What you see is what you get and I couldn't be happier.

Pros:

It's a visual, web-based DAM that is incredibly easy to use and assessable from anywhere. Canto is incredibly fast and responsive, with all sorts of plug ins and extensions to integrate your favorite browser, file transfer site or software application (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premier). The Portals & User Permissions allow a lot of fine tuning to ensure each user or team has access to only the assets they should. The admin controls couldn't be easier to use, making managing access through the system a total breeze. The simplicity is and emphasize on clean visuals really puts Canto above most other platforms we've used or demonstrated. Highly recommend others take the time to see what Canto offers and how your company can benefit from what it does best.

Cons:

I don't have any, to be honest. Though it would be nice if a standalone application for advanced management existed, similar to how the Advanced Uploader application makes uploading large batches of files easier - would be nice if I could perform backups, re-arranging assets, etc. through an application for complex tasks. It's not essential, but I would absolutely be able to leverage something like that since mass re-organizing albums and assets through a browser can be sluggish and difficult.

Laura
Business Process Leader in US
Consumer Goods, 11–50 Employees

Robust features and multiple ways of access

Comments: What do you like best?
The flexibility of deployment and implementation was paramount for our organization, as we ended up hosting the solution on premise due to our large file sizes. We love how the metadata is written back to the asset. Additionally, the various ways to access the assets through the web, through apps or through a desktop client made the user adoption go very smoothly.
What do you dislike?
Customizing the software during the installation and implementation phase was more time consuming than we had anticipated and with the new releases of software and portals we have encountered some delays and hiccups (we are working through them). Out of the "box" reporting is significantly lacking compared to the other options, but you can buy a 3rd party addin for that.
What business problems are you solving? What benefits have you realized?
The visibility on where are assets have gone and where they are going is greatly increased, in addition to increasing the visibility of knowing what assets we have while enabling a strong search functionality has decreased duplication of assets and increased productivity and efficiency.

Valarie
Director of Printing and Mailing Services in US
Higher Education, 501–1,000 Employees

Easy to use, easy to locate digital assets

Pros:

Canto has made it possible for us to eliminate the need for staff designers to find images for people across campus. With a 100-seat plan, we have been able to identify key users in departments who can locate and download their own images. With most of us working remotely during the pandemic, we have access to what we need when we need it. Batch uploading of images makes it easy to upload and tag images in a time-efficient way. Images can be saved in various albums - which is also super helpful.

Cons:

While competitively priced against similar products (and less than others we looked at) it's a fairly substantial financial investment.

Alternatives Considered: PhotoShelter for Brands

Reasons for Switching to Canto: Less expensive with the same features.

Danielle
Graphic Designer in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great collaboration workspace

Pros:

Awesome asset management tool to collaborate on with coworkers. Whether its within your team or collaborating with other teams, its the best way to keep all of the assets and comments/copy in one place. Before Canto, everything was done over email and messages/assets would be lost. With Canto, things are trackable and always in one place. The searchability function helps save so much time when lookin for specific tasks. love working in Canto!

Cons:

This is a bit of user error, but when a coworker comments directly to someone else, they need to comment their @name for them to get a notification otherwise you never know they made a comment

4 years ago

Hi Danielle, thank you for the review! We created the @ feature so that notifications could be set up for specific people, instead of everyone getting notified that there was a comment on an asset. Hope that helps!

Gio
Director of Marketing in US
Apparel & Fashion, 11–50 Employees

A "DAM" good decision! So much better than Dropbox

Comments: Canto has really helped our business with the management and dissemination of digital assets. This had long been a pain point for us. I researched a lot of DAMs on the market but couldn't justify most of their pricing. Canto accomplishes what we need at a great value. While the UX can sometimes be a little challenging, I've seen continuous improvement since signing with them, which tells me they're listening and investing in their product.

Pros:

The best part about Canto, for us, is the Portals feature. They're perfect for us to provide individual dealers with the authorized assets they need, while keeping our internal non-client ready assets separate. We also love the self registration feature which allows us to control who is able to gain access through an invitation code.

Cons:

The UX is not always intuitive for new users. It's unique from other similar products, so there can be a learning curve for the less savvy. Our customers are less technologically inclined, and don't always understand how to do the basics. It takes some training to catch them up to speed, but afterwards, they're usually able to fend for themselves.

Retail, 51–200 Employees

Basic Features at a Fair Price

Pros:

Easy to use, great for collaboration with both external and internal team members. Ability to add custom fields for storing metadata. The search feature is great.

Cons:

It's on the expensive side for covering just our basic needs.

Alternatives Considered: Brandfolder and Bynder

Switched From: Microsoft SharePoint

Robyn
Marketing Associate in US
Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Great for our Independent School

Comments: Before using Canto Flight, we had a huge photo storage problem. We are a K-12 school in the Bay Area with approximately 2,500 students. Having 3 campuses with a plethora of photos being taken at events and marketing photo shoots, we needed a solution that could store a large number of photos, be accessible off-campus (our old system was uploading all of the photos to an on-campus server), and that was easy for our staff to use. Canto met all of our needs! We currently have over 33,000 photos, 100 videos, and 1,000 documents stored, with over 2,000 GB (yes that's right, Gigabits) left of storage. The cloud system makes it easy for our photographers to upload photos and for us to access them without having to be on campus. Though the interface has gone through multiple changes (which has made it hard to train less-computer savvy staff), overall it's a pretty instinctual interface. Additionally, the Canto representatives have always been quick to respond with any issues that have arisen.

Pros:

Large amount of storage space, multiple download and sharing options, ability to tag assets with keywords.

Cons:

Slow to upload (slow overall), the ever-changing interface (making our tediously-made "how to" guides for staff quickly irrelevant).

Jess
Lead Archivist in US
Libraries, 2–10 Employees

Flight's customer service is impeccable, I get immediate one on one attention.

Comments: Over 10,0000 images in our library searchable at the stroke of a button. Priceless!

Pros:

Super easy to use, I barely even need to "train" colleagues with how to use, it's actually easier to just let people look around on the site for 2 minutes as it's so intuitive. I have been able to keep over 10K detailed, rare photos organized, located, shared, and clean in terms of duplicates and low/high res files. What I like most is the people though, the attention we got felt like the same as if we were NASA signing up, they took our project seriously and helped us baby the starting of the program right through to checking in from time to time.

Cons:

There are a few little keystroke things but when Flight gets updated it seems like the engineers are on the right tracks as things improve all the time. There could be improvements with searchability, for example being able to have the drop down menu when inputting a tag come up with JOHN SMITH when I start with S and not just when I start typing J.

Monica
IT Project Manager & Designer in US
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Canto has been the solution we were looking for

Comments: Canto has been a game changer for us. We had files all over the place: file servers, personal computers, Light Room, drop box, you name it. Now we use Canto as our single repository for storing assets. Our in-house team of designers has easy access to assets because users within the various business units are contributing up-to-date information. The user interface is much like many popular stock photography websites, so our non-technical users have been quick to adopt it. Our infrastructure team also likes that we aren't sending giant email attachments anymore! We could not be more pleased with Canto.

Pros:

Customer Service: If I ever email our account representative with a question or change to our account I hear back very quickly, many times within the hour. User Interface: The UI is very user friendly. We've had no issues with non-technical users adopting the system. Scalability: We love that we were able to start small and grow.

Cons:

We've had some challenges with growing our the libraries and how to restrict folders, but our account manager has been working through those with us.

Emily
Creative Services Manager in US
Events Services, 51–200 Employees

Canto is a Dream for Creatives!

Pros:

The ease of access with Canto was one of the main selling features for us. Rather than trying to have multiple users fighting for access to our photos and creative assets on a single server, we now can access this any time, any where. It's incredibly user friendly, and has been easy to teach other members of the company how to navigate quickly. The overall look of the software is visually appealing and it's very simple to organize.

Cons:

There are almost no cons that I can think of in terms of the software. We briefly had an issue with tags not registering on new uploads, but that was resolved very quickly and may have just been an internet glitch. Whenever I've had a question or concern, if i couldn't find the answer i needed from the internal help function, the Support Team respond so quickly that any issues are resolved almost immediately.

4 years ago

Thanks for considering Canto as 'A Dream for Creatives'. We appreciate the review, Emily!