15 years helping Australian businesses

Microsoft Power Automate Reviews

About Microsoft Power Automate

Microsoft Power Automate is a comprehensive automation platform with RPA, DPA, AI, and process mining - powered by low-code and AI.

Learn more about Microsoft Power Automate

Pros:

Cons:

The interface may not be intuitive for some users. Some of the features are not very well explained.

Microsoft Power Automate ratings

4.0
3.8
4.3
4.2

8.0/10

Microsoft Power Automate has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 181 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Microsoft Power Automate before?

Allen
Allen
Lead in Canada
Government Administration, 10,000+ Employees

Automated thousands of hours of manual work using power automate

Comments: Overall pretty good. Quick learning curve if you have even the most basic background in programming. You can implement powerful automated tools that could cut down a lot of manual processing for your organization. I was able to build a solution to replace/replicate a CRM tool (that costed us 6 figures to maintain) using power automate to piece together various other MS office applications together (eg. sharepoint, outlook, etc..). Examples of things i've used this to automate was workflow management (automated emails to get approvals for documents), report creation (pre-populate word/powerpoint presentations and templates with data collected from various sources), intake and customer management workflow (building forms to collect and store information to a database, then tracking those intakes and automatically requesting approvals through a workflow), reporting, etc.. There's also capabilities to use pre-built AI functions for things like image recognition (eg. scanning a invoice to automatically populate it to a database instead of having someone read over it) which can automate a lot of manual work for your org

Pros:

Power automate has a pretty easy to use graphical user interface to click and drag functions together to build an automated workflow. Can be scaled and implemented quite quickly within your organization. Also connects to a lot of existing microsoft products/ecosystem so it could automate a lot of desktop procedures for any organization that uses microsoft (which is a majority of large scale orgs). I like the pre-built automated templates you can use, and the access to third party templates (some cost additional money) that automate various desktop procedures for you. Also has advanced AI/ML analytics/functional capabilities.

Cons:

Customer support is okay/pretty trash - it involves searching/posting in their forums and hoping someone has the same issues as you for answers. Essentially I had to figure out how to use most of the functionality myself because of the lack of guides/training available for this compared to other tools. Also get a lot of random unexplained glitches with flows i've already built but haven't touched but break for unknown reasons (I'm guessing its because the vendor is pushing updates which could break existing functionality). I can build the exact same flow twice but if i don't build it in a specific order, your flow just wont work. I also don't like how it logs me out of connections within my flows, which then requires me to regularly log back in to re-establish these connections so my flows can continue to work (although this might be a organizational security issue). Q&A and testing of the code for errors is also pretty basic and needs to be robustly improved. If i want to run through my flow to identify errors, there's limited functionality to allow me to do so effectively. For example, if i build a loop with various stored procedures in it, building it in a certain way will not allow you to open the loop to see which stored procedure isn't working. You would need to build the flow in a certain way (that sometimes isn't the most practical) so it would allow you to properly troubleshoot it.

Nothando
Nothando
Business analyst in South Africa
Banking, 10,000+ Employees

Powerful Automation Software

Comments: Overall, I am quite happy and I no longer lose business hours sending reminders, having unnecessary meetings about workflows or even approving simple tasks. Other than the occasional email about a failed workflow, everything works just as intended. I do believe that Microsoft could improve this feature but until then, it will work just fine and does satisfy my business and departmental needs.

Pros:

Late last year, my department had a challenge with getting approvals done on time or work flows being submitted to team members,. Notifications and reminders were sent out manually which affected productivity. After some research I came across workflows which later turned to power automate and the following features really stood out to me in a positive way. 1. We did not break the budget - Initially, we opted for a power automate license which cost around $12 and was mostly utilized by my department. Later on, the main company adopted MS O365 and included PA license as part of the main license and allowing better integration with th e rest of the MS office features. This was a pleasant surprise. 2.Ease of use - I am not very computer/software conversant but it took me less than one business week to figure out how to use Flow/PA. Some of my colleagues were proficient after one or two YouTube videos. 3. Easy to debug - when PA crashes, it's very easy to pinpoint what the main problem/cause of the crash is. This saves time and i do not have to log a ticket with IT to have it resolved. 4. I have noted that the templates available on PA are the only things I need to get my work done. I use PA to connect employees and the CRM systems and I was able to connect these by simply following a template.

Cons:

Further to my point about how easy it is to resolve crashes on PA, the biggest con of this software is inadvertently how much it crashes when you have a large number of tasks to multiple people or to external individuals. The second con I found is that it is hard, actually impossible to connect the cloud services available on PA to other non Microsoft cloud services. This is a big disadvantage because as a company, we work with external vendors who use other cloud based systems. This problem is pushing companies to buy extra licenses /software purchases or make alternative plans with vendors. This is sometimes frustrating.

Hugh
IT in US
, 501–1,000 Employees

Was a great product but they got greedy and make you pay for everything that you automate

Comments: Prior to the whole "you MUST buy tokens to be able to use the software that you already spent a lot of money on", they had a really good product that did things not found in other types of automation programs. You can compile your scripts/processes to run on other machines ... except now you have to pay for every little thing that you automate OR spend a lot of money to "register" a computer that you want to run unlimited exe's on. Of course, this is after you have already paid a premium price for the software. They don't advertise the costs up front because they want you to buy the software ... once you log into your account you finally get to see the costs for various tokens and functionality. We didn't appreciate the sneaky approach they decided would be a good business model. As horrible as the whole upgrade experience is/was, it is our hope that they drop this business model and get back to what made them great to begin with. They have great software but they have lost our business until they stop crippling it. We are in the process of moving on to a different product.

Pros:

It does things that other software packages do not do (like search for an image on a screen that isn't identifiable via other means).

Cons:

Steep learning curve. Recent versions now make you pay for everything that you create - making the software absolutely useless in an enterprise environment where you have to pay for the executable that you generate ... except if you discover an error and need to recompile and recreate your executable to fix something (which happens most of the time), you have to PAY AGAIN. I spent years learning and using Winautomation and it was awesome to be able to create solutions on the fly where there weren't any viable alternatives, but their greed has destroyed the flexible nature of what this software did best. The support people know their stuff, but moving the support forum to Linked-In groups has been a miserable switch....searching is problematic ... anything negative at all (even if it is constructive feedback) is deleted by the moderators.... it is like they are doing everything humanly possible to make the software and the company fail. I find this sad because I really like the software and the latest functionality that the newer versions bring. We were tricked into upgrading to Version 7 during a sales WebEx (no mention of the additional costs at all except a brief 1 sec mention of tokens that was not explained). Even though we have paid for the professional version upgrade, we went back to our old version (version 6) as soon as we realized how crippled the latest versions are unless you are willing to hand over large amounts of cash for a small fraction of the functionality the older versions had..

Matthew
Senior Application Solution Analyst in New Zealand
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

Microsoft 365 users look nowhere else for process automation

Comments: Power Automate is my favourite tool on the internet. As a creative developer I am able to quickly turn ideas into reality and achieve outstanding results for my organisation.

Pros:

Power Automate is immeasurably saleable but also incredibly easy to use. Many staff I would not classify as particularly skillful with computers are able to build useful processes that speed up the flow of information across the organisation. Developers on the other hand can dive deeper into the power of the tool and its integrations to provide capability to the organisation not possible without such an excellent tool. The depth of integrations and easy of creating connections allows Power Automate to connect natively to any application across the Office 365 suite and also any API enabled tool outside the tenant, making it a super-versatile and powerful tool.

Cons:

Error messages could be more user-friendly. When pushing the tool with complex integrations it can sometimes be difficult to work out which amongst the myriad of actions or dynamic fields are causing the issue. One does learn how best to avoid these error over time through better development.

Shivendra
Software Developer in US
Information Services, 10,000+ Employees

Great cloud based tools for process Automation

Comments: Overall great experience and easy to use. Easy to integrate with other Office 365 products.

Pros:

Power Automate is great cloud based tool for process automation . This tool provides many connector which helps developer to connect to different LOB. It also provides ability to use custom connector to perform complex business logic . Calling Power Automate from Other Office 365 products like PowerApps /SharePoint Online is seemless

Cons:

Definitely there are some room to improve . Some time writing complex formulas on Power Automate editor is inconvenient .Approval process is also having some limitation like approval process cant run more thanks 28 days. For developer some time it is inconvenient to debug in case of error

Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Streamlining Education

Comments: Honestly, my experience with Microsoft Power Automate has been a game-changer! It's been like having a super-efficient virtual assistant right by my side. Automating tasks like attendance tracking, assignment notifications, and even grading has freed up so much of my time. The easy-to-use interface made it a breeze to create workflows, and the Power Automate Process Mining gave me valuable insights into our teaching processes. Plus, the AI Builder and GPT integration? Mind-blowing! I could make my automations super smart and unique.

Pros:

Oh, man, I absolutely love Microsoft Power Automate! The best part was how easy it made automation. I mean, I’m no tech wiz, but with the drag-and-drop tools in this software, I can automate processes without breaking a sweat. Pre-made connections and templates were also lifesavers! They saved me a lot of time by automating those routine tasks in my classroom. And let’s not forget the Power Automate Process Mining feature, it was like there was a magic crystal ball telling me exactly what to automate. Super helpful!

Cons:

Well, Power Automate was awesome, but I did face a couple of hiccups. Some of the more complex automation stuff required me to learn a bit more about the software's capabilities, and that took a bit of time. Also, there were a few times when I needed connectors for specific third-party services, and they weren't available. It would have been nice to have a more extensive library of connectors to cover all my needs.

Claude Real
Business Analyst and Graphic Designer in Canada
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Powerful Automation tool but difficult to use for user not advanced in IT

Comments: Overall I’m satisfied with the result once I get the automations working, but I’m still considering to change to another tool for automations.

Pros:

It allows me to reduce the amount of entries and manual managements I would normally have to do. It also allows me to configure various notifications very useful when dealing with multiple projects simultaneously.

Cons:

Even if Microsoft tried to make this tool user friendly, it is still very complex to configure automations with this tool. I’ve worked with automations tool a lot less complicated and with almost the same capacities.

Andrei
Andrei
Data Scientist in Brazil
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees

Best workflow software for microsoft users.

Comments: Microsoft Power Automate is the best workflow software for avid Microsoft users, it is easy to set up and still offers many features.

Pros:

The software is friendly to most users and still offers many features.

Cons:

For advanced users, it can feel limited.

Ryan
Ryan
Teacher in Canada
Primary/Secondary Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Power Automate for Secondary School-Wide and Classroom Information

Comments: In 2020 when school classes first moved online or students attended on a rotating basis, the rush of posting daily lesson plans while starting video calls and managing on premise students was an unneccesary stressor. I built Flows to automate that process - automatically posting the daily lesson to Teams (as channel posts as we were required, which could not otherwise be scheduled) at the beginning of each class, retrieved from a document I updated the day before. I have since expanded the use to school wide collection and distribution of announcements (Forms > Share Point > Teams, Outlook, HTML, RSS for students, staff, website, and TV displays), scheduling of resources in our Student Services departments, and various other time-saving applications. A rough estimate would be that my automations save me approximately 45 - 60 minutes of work each day. This time can be better spent actually interacting with students, rather than clicking through tedious yet necessary tasks.

Pros:

Power Automate has allowed me to offload some of the tedious and repetitive tasks that would otherwise take me away from my teaching duties and the time available to interact with students.

Cons:

A first attempt at Power Automate can quickly show even a seasoned technically-savvy individual just how much they do not know. Thankfully, there is a well-developed online support community, both from Microsoft and others, that documents and solves many of the common (and not-so-common) issues that users have experienced in their sometimes very-detailed automations.

Max
Engineering support intern in Canada
Oil & Energy, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Intern making automations to improve workflow

5.0 last month New

Comments: It was great, I loved making stuff in it. I also tried out the air feature and it worked super well too.

Pros:

It is a great low code environment that perfectly integrates with all other Microsoft products. I think any large business already paying for Microsoft services should consider getting this too. It’s very easy for employees to learn and begin using in their daily work.

Cons:

Sometimes for very niche issues there wasn’t a lot of support on how to fix it. But overall there were not really any cons in my mind as a user.

Amr
Instructional Designer. in Egypt
Higher Education, 11–50 Employees

Practical Business Automation Solution.

Comments: I usually integrate Microsoft Power Automate with Office 365 and Microsoft Power Apps. It saves time and effort, supports team collaboration on the cloud, increases productivity, and helps my team organize day-to-day work. For instance, It distributes customers' email requests received on Outlook to the corresponding department's mailbox, sends attached files to a shared folder on OneDrive, and instantly notifies team members of the up-to-date status of the requests. Microsoft Power Automate keeps our work organized, aligned, informed, and responsive to customers' needs.

Pros:

Microsoft Power Automate facilitates the workflows all over the company. It has seamless integrations with the commonly used business applications, especially within the Microsoft environment. It's a no-code/low-code solution that allows business users to automate repetitive tasks, organize document flow, manage the data flow, and set up customized notifications to keep everyone informed. Power Automate allows for synchronous and asynchronous dataflow and connects desktop Applications (on-premises) with cloud applications in one productive workflow.

Cons:

Power Automate works well within the Microsoft ecosystem, but it doesn't integrate well with applications outside. Also, the App documentation/troubleshooting is geared toward IT professionals more than business users.

RJ
Director of IT in US
Law Practice, 51–200 Employees

Automating is a breeze

Comments: We used to have 4 people performing redundant excel and database functionalities for 4 hours daily, but because of Winautomation we were able to reduce this task to 1 person 1 hour daily. Also, the software is great with automating batched DOS based functions like renaming thousands of files in a couple of minutes, up/down file via ftp sights, etc.

Pros:

Easy to learn and use. So much features and a massive array of programming capabilities

Cons:

Before their customer service is great with chat option on their site, they changed that. I sent out a request a week ago and received a response with vague answer. I replied back, no response. I made a new ticket and the response was, we sent you an answer, click here to see our conversation. I responded back 2x, 2 days now no reponse.

Microsoft Response

7 years ago

Dear RJ, All your requests from what we see in our database, do have a response sent within the same business day or the next (at the latest), providing you with solutions and instructions. Upon receiving your email about not getting a response from our Support Team, our Support Manager contacted you directly via email, to clarify the situation and give you more details on the tickets that you have opened. There was no response to that email from your end. We are proud of our Support Team and our timely replies, given the large number of our users. There is no chance that a Support ticket will not get a reply in a short period of time, unless there is a misspelling address issue in the way. Should we had your permission we could share the history of your Support tickets as well as the email you have received from one the Head Support Manager. Thank you for the time you took to write this review.

Victor Ndeti
Victor Ndeti
Electrical Engineer in South Africa
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Power Automate - Plug and Play!

Comments: Overall happy with the software. It has been the first software I used for automation and multi tasking and so far I love it. I am looking forward to more improvements in the future to see what more can be automated.

Pros:

This software is very easy to use and does not require any coding background. The code used is low level and very easy to understand. The software is easy to deploy in the company from the first day and benefits are seen almost immediately. Power automate cuts out a lot of manual effort. The best feature of this software is it's the fact that it integrates smoothly with the rest of Microsoft O365 environment. You can have data capture from Excel, forms and even outlook. Power Automate sends reminders for pending workflows, this has made it easy for key tasks to be completed on time consistently.

Cons:

The main problem experienced so far is how fast a loop can time out when you have long flow chart. Sometimes the software will crash and you will get an alert about the failed loop, this happens even after successful trial runs before publishing the flow. I have to mention that this is not a major problem as it occurs infrequently, most of the time PA just works great.

Paweł
Paweł
IT Business Analyst in Poland
Chemicals, 10,000+ Employees

Best light-weight workflow tool on the market.

Comments: Microsoft delivered a great solution for business process improvements. Power Automate can connect with hundreds of different applications and the product team constantly adds even more. Secondly, there's so many tutorials and training materials on the Internet offering different levels of knowledge.

Pros:

In my opinion, Power Automate is the best light-weight, no code/low code application available on the market. One can start building workflows without advanced developer knowledge and show great automation enhancements to the business processes. This middleware not only saves hundreds of hours by improving the processes, but it also enhances the business transformation and user experience.

Cons:

It's a fact that Power Automate offers a lot of connectors, however the majority of those can be purchased at additional fee.

Harshini
Business Consultant in India
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Power Automate-User Friendly and fantastic

Comments: A great automation tool that can do great automation job which can save a lot of time and avoid repetitive activities. The flows also integrates with other microsoft programs. Amazing tool

Pros:

It helps to automate routine activities while saving time and cost. The flows work with external software and applications as well. Easy templates that can be used with user friendly interface. The flow wizard is amazing for those who are unfamiliar. It helps in connecting to data sources from other products other than Microsoft.

Cons:

The third party addon connectivity is bit hard and little complex. The connections tend to break and we have to create the whole flow once again. Better History log can be provided. The flow can be made little less complex for the users who are new and unexperienced.

Adarsh
Adarsh
Programmer Analyst in India
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Microdoft Power Automate

Comments: My overall experience with Microsoft Power Automate was excellent. I integrated it with SharePoint and used it to create an automated Sales site.I used Microsoft Power Automate to automate the approval process for sales and send emails to customers directly and to managers as a receipt. I even used Microsoft Power Automate to generate automated bills to send to customers.It is a handy tool.

Pros:

Microsoft Power Automate is highly responsive and extremely easy to use, It has the best user-friendly interface. It is easy to understand to automate the approval status and emails.

Cons:

Sometimes there is a glitch in the software which results in unresponsiveness and emails which should come on completing automation doesn't occur which makes user worry about the automation process and whether it's appropriately built.

Kesavan
Software Developer in India
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Efficiency and Productivity of Microsoft Power Automate.

Comments: Power Automate improve productivity and It also reduce the manual errors and effort.

Pros:

Microsoft Power Automate provides extensive integration capabilities even with third party applications like share point, Dynamics 365 and more.

Cons:

I haven't faced anything like that till now. I will update in future If I face anything.

Anthony
Anthony
IT Technical Project Manager in UK
Computer Hardware, 11–50 Employees

A real game changer for Office 365 users

Pros:

The ability to automate nearly everything in your business processes is the biggest pro for Power Automate. Built in connectors for all of the Microsoft products and many 3rd party software mean that you can connect processes together like never before. There is very little technical knowledge needed to operate and create the flows but the power that the user gets is amazing.

Cons:

I least liked the fact that in order to use some of the connectors, such as MS SQL, you need to purchase a premium license - this is something that should have been provided out of the box.

Rob
Rob
CTO in UK
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Business Automation made easy!

Comments: Not as good as enterprise automation systems but too good to not use in a world where most businesses use elements of Microsoft SaaS

Pros:

Fantastic for rapidly creating business processes involving data capture and follow on actions

Cons:

The no-code capabilities quickly run out of steam when processes start to get difficult

Alex
CTO in US
Media Production, 2–10 Employees

Didn't know how to code but needed to automate

Comments: When we purchased this, we were needing to automate many processes on the backend of our system. From file syncing and transfer to convert Log files from one format to another, we're using winautomation to automate 100+ processes a day. We've basically not had to higher another person just because of winautomation.

Pros:

All of the features it has available.

Cons:

The documentation is pitiful, which makes it VERY hard to figure out how to do some things. However, with some research time available, you can figure it out.

Jeff
IT Manager in Canada
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Great software, very easy to use.

Comments: We purchased this software to run a few automated processes for our company. We are an Association Management Company and having the ability to easily automate some of the items that we deal with frees up time to concentrate on other areas.

Pros:

Ease of use, and the macro builder that allows me to simply record the process that I want automated and it will repeat the same process on a regular schedule.

Nick
Nick
Senior Product Manager in US
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Embrace Your Inner Developer and Sort out your Tasks

Pros:

Somewhere along the way I lost my ability to properly automate my personal mundane tasks by way of atrophy on my coding abilities. Having to delegate out that work added to an already full workload for my team so I needed a solution and fast. Enter Power Automate. Without any express ability to code, I was able to setup automation for these tasks with just a little simple logic. It is very intuitive and gets you results quickly.

Cons:

Testing your flows and integrations can sometimes be a pain as you don't always know right away if the object you're interacting with has the right integration for the needed permissions. Being able to see a preview of the permissions before attempting to test your flow is very much needed. It would also be nice if there was an auto simulation option where it would create your test bed for you before your scenario needing to play out in the real world to see if it works.

Anna
Developer in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The Potential is Huge - but there are so many things you can't do

Pros:

Its integration with Teams. Power Automate allows you to do so much more with company communication than other software if you utilize it.

Cons:

The learning curve is pretty high. I've never found the documentation very useful, as they don't include many use cases. I have again and again returned to the tool with a need and have found a step that almost works. But I'll have to add 3 steps to make it work instead. For instance, "mention a tag", but you cannot "mention a channel". So you have to add the members to a tag to mention everyone in a channel.

Fred
IT Manager in US
Hospitality, 501–1,000 Employees

Save your associates from repetitious tasks.

Comments: I've found Winautomation to be very useful. It is easy to simply record tasks. But also powerful enough to program complex decision making.

Pros:

Easy to use and powerful. Best of both worlds.

Cons:

Rarely, but on more than one occasion, all tasks disappear so can't run. Not a big problem, a simple reboot brings them back.

Education Management, 10,000+ Employees

Automated process working fast

Comments: I make my lessons automated. Students send homework to my gmail. Then I use Power Automation to add them to Google Sheets with the homework number and save the attachments to my Google Drives student folder. With every record of Google Sheets, it writes the date, email, and name. Finally, it sends an email to the student for his homework.

Pros:

It has apps for desktop, iOS, and Android.  I like the OCR feature. So I can extract text from PDFs and pictures automatically from my email.  It is really fast to work.  Knowing how to use a computer is sufficient to create automation on it.

Cons:

The interface is not user-friendly. Sections are so detailed.  It takes too much time to find where to start and go on.  There is no integration with Telegram, Whatsapp, etc.