15 years helping Australian businesses

About Bitwarden

Bitwarden is an open source password manager that enables users to securely store and share credentials with end-to-end encryption.

Learn more about Bitwarden

Pros:

Vast community and developer support. Free private version/reasonable enterprise price.

Cons:

There is no option to set a keyboard shortcut to fill in forms in web browsers. But this is only tiny detail.

Bitwarden ratings

4.6
4.5
4.6
4.9

9.3/10

Bitwarden has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 166 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Bitwarden before?

Elisabetta
Elisabetta
Ecommerce Manager in Italy
Apparel & Fashion, 51–200 Employees

Securely Manage Your Passwords with Bitwarden: The Ultimate Password Manager Solution

Comments: Bitwarden has a user-friendly interface and is easy to use across multiple devices and platforms. It also has a free version with many of the same features as the paid version. Although Bitwarden has an open-source codebase, it is a closed-source product, which means that some users may be concerned about transparency.

Pros:

Bitwarden is a highly secure password manager that uses end-to-end encryption to protect your sensitive data. It offers a range of features, including password generation and auto-fill, secure note storage, and two-factor authentication.

Cons:

While the free version of Bitwarden is feature-rich, some advanced features, such as secure file storage, are only available with the paid version. Some users have reported occasional glitches or bugs in the software, but these issues are generally quickly resolved by the Bitwarden team.

Mark
Mark
Freelance Writer, Editor, Content Creator in US
Publishing, Self Employed

BitWarden is Robust, Feature-Packed, and Secure, Delivering a Great Product Even at the Free Tier

Comments: BitWarden is one of the most user-friendly and feature-packed password managers. The free plan offers unlimited storage, multi-device sync, and world-class encryption. It is built on open-source code and regularly audited by third-party firms for its security performance. As counterintuitive as this sounds to people not steeped in tech, transparency on the source code makes a thoroughly more reliable security product. One of my top considerations when shopping for a password manager over a year ago was cross-platform compatibility. At the time, I relied upon an iPhone and an HP Ultrabook. I didn’t want a password manager that was great on IOS phones but iffy or still in development on a PC-compatible release. Or vice versa. And I didn’t want to be locked into Chrome or Safari or any particular browser to have a good experience. BitWarden is hands-down the most platform-agnostic and cross-compatible password manager I’ve experienced, with no compromise at all to its security protocols. It also includes one outstanding bonus feature, a built-in password generator, even at the free tier. And you’re never pressured in any way to adopt the modestly priced paid upgrade version. I would recommend BitWarden to any colleague without reservation. —Mark Vanderpool

Pros:

I love the cross-platform sync and compatibility: multiple devices and different browsers are no problem.

Cons:

Autosave and autofill features could be improved, but the bumps are minor.

Jackson
Head of Operations in Lithuania
Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

Bitwarden Software Review

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

SSO login for cloud data encryption and synchronization. Secure sensitive information sharing. One password generator. 2-factor authentication. Easy-to-use templates.

Cons:

Mmmh!!! Nothing less to think of, KUDOS to its vendor.

Margaret
Sr Scientific Specialist GIS in US
Research, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Very confusing for set up and use

2.0 last month New

Comments: Very, very frustrating. Also disappointed because I had invested a fair amount of time comparing different password managers and thought this one would work. Instead it turned into a huge waste of time.

Pros:

That it was free - I appreciate that at least I did not lose money when I deleted my account.

Cons:

User interface, help, instructions, etc. very hard to follow for beginner. It was difficult getting started, and I never could find a satisfactory answer on why there are both a web app and a browser extension. There are also mobile and desktop apps. I could not tell if we needed all of the apps installed, and if not, why would we have desktop, web, and extension all on same computer?

Riccardo
Creative Director in Italy
Machinery, 11–50 Employees

Great open source password management solution

Comments: Amazing cross platform solution, also gives you the ability to create different folders in which you will be able to store selected logins.

Pros:

Complete and open source soluton for all your passwords. It is cross platform and you can use it on almost every device you own.

Cons:

If you want to integrate also 2FAs codes you will need to upgrade to a paid plan.

Josiah
Editor in US
Media Production, Self Employed

Best password manager I've used!

Comments: Great! I'm am so much more organized and secure with my information and passwords after starting with Bitwarden. It's available on every platform I need and easily setup.

Pros:

I love that it's free to get started, and the upgrade is very reasonable, if you end up needing to. I use the password generator all the time!

Cons:

Autosave and autofill work 80% of the time, which is great, but not 100%. I have had times when trying to create a new entry using the browser plugin, that I accidentally clicked off, closing the popup and losing the info I had not saved yet. This has caused frustration more often than I'd like. Editing entries can be tedious, but you are protected from messing with things you want to leave untouched.

Uwe
Interim Executive in Germany
Management Consulting, Self Employed

The password safe that I trust

Pros:

It does what it should on a very high security level. Bitwarden is developed on open-source basis. That adds an amount of trustworthiness, others don't have.

Cons:

Only on android: a better integration would help.

Johan
IT Specialist in Sweden
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Familiar and solid

Pros:

It’s familiarity with an other open source desktop password manager.

Cons:

User management, that you have to accept a user after invitation. Collections vs folders, why not simply call it folders? And please give us owners on collections.

Ryan
Owner, Developer in Portugal
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Bitwarden Password Manager

Comments: Excellent. Much better than my experience with my previous product.

Pros:

The ability to use multiple devices and the Autosave & Autofill feature of the Chrome extension.

Cons:

The incomplete version of the Android application, given that it does not suggest logins for every application, which requires me to open the Bitwarden application and copy the credentials from it manually.

Tim
Project Manager in Australia
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

Bitwarden for peace of mind

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Very happy with the ease of use and features.

Pros:

Bitwarden is there when you need a password, on mobile or laptop. Just remember your master password and Bitwarden does the rest.

Cons:

Its a pity we need passwords, but we do. Bitwarden makes it simple.

Gustavo
CEO in Brazil
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed

A great surprise! Perfect!

Comments: I've been a LastPass user for a long time, and honestly, I was in a comfort zone and have never searched for an alternative, but since they put some limitations on the free account I found BitWarden and I'm pretty glad about that! It's perfect! I use it every single day and it helps me a lot! It's for sure the best (at least free) password manager! Highly recommend!

Pros:

BitWarden has everything you need in a password manager! It's easy to use and straightforward. I've been a user of another application for a long time, but I'm glad I found BitWarden because it's perfect! The browser extension works great and the mobile app do what it's supposed to do. Highly recommend!

Cons:

I would recommend some improvements on the mobile app UI/UX. It do what is supposed to do, but I think a better UI would give BitWarden some extra points.

Matt
Chief Engineer in US
Medical Devices, 2–10 Employees

Toss out your little black book and move to the future

Comments: Overall its a great password manager, I install either the app or a browser add-on onto each of my devices and any new site I create a password for is automatically synced. The ability to easily share passwords with friends, family or colleagues is also a big plus. Its amazing how often I jump on a site and bitwarden tells me I already have a password, that saves me so much time because with several hundred passwords its hard to remember what all I do and don't have passwords for.

Pros:

The fact that I have 300+ passwords and no longer have to keep an excel spreadsheet, use redundant passwords or keep a little black book around. I can access my passwords from any device connected to the internet through a web browser, app or widget.

Cons:

Overall Bitwarden is great, the biggest challenge I have run into over the course of several implementations is teaching people the new workflow to creating passwords. I wouldn't say its a downfall of the software so much as trying to kick the bad habits most people have.

Ryan
Director in Japan
Staffing & Recruiting, 2–10 Employees

Best password manager

Pros:

This is the best password manager out there. I've used so many trying to find one that syncs across multiple devices, auto detects and fills/saves passwords, and has an inbuilt password generator. This is it. And it's amazing to see you get so much with the free version. There are some out there claiming to be the best but this is simple, intuitive, and easy to use. Very secure as well.

Cons:

None. I've never come across any issues.

Erick
Inbound Marketing Analyst in Brazil
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Come from LastPass and was hooked

Pros:

I tried many password managers and the free version of Bitwarden is no doubt the best. The migration process from LastPass was seamless and there only a few features that I miss here.

Cons:

It's not bad, but I can't make the Android app work as well as LastPass did. The autofill and autosave doesn't work as expected, but in 80% of the cases it's good enough and in these 20% situations the copy + paste solves the problem.

Antonia
Marketer Freelance in Italy

Best free alternative ever

Comments: I've been using it for 5 months, moved her from Last Pass. I would be happy to pay for a premium plan but only if they fix this lack of asking to update (or add) new passwords

Pros:

Supports multiplatform, multi synching and it works well!

Cons:

Sometimes it doesn't ask you if you want to add a login when you log into a website for the first time, and more often it doesn't ask you if you want to update a password when you are restoring one.

Krissy
Editor in US
Writing & Editing, 2–10 Employees

An excellent password manager.

Pros:

Simple to use, and can manage ID documents and payment info as well as passwords. The browser extension makes it easy to implement and create unique passwords for every service I use.

Cons:

I wish they allowed file uploads in the secure notes section for free accounts so I don't have to type out my recovery codes each time.

Hector
IT Support in Honduras
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Use this instead of LastPass

Comments: I switched to it due to LastPass's new limitations, is OpenSource you can install it on your own servers and manage your own key management system, is cheap, and has a ton of features, the same as LastPass.

Pros:

Its free version offers the same as the previous LastPass plan, you can use it in both Mobile and PCs, pricing is much cheaper, the android App is not as buggy as LastPass.

Cons:

The UI could be better, there are some quirks but you can move around them easily, Its design is not as nice as LastPass.

Omar
Digital Consultant in Pakistan
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Most trusted password manager

Pros:

Open source nature of the software makes it highly trusted. High quality extensions, emphasis on security.

Cons:

Safari extension is slow and clunky compared to other platforms.

Blair
Software Developer in Canada
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Excellent password manager

Pros:

I love how fast and easy it is to add new passwords. I am also very impressed with how well the autofill works.

Cons:

I love everything about Bitwarden - I can't think of anything I don't like!

Juan Manuel
Juan Manuel
Web developer in Argentina
Consumer Services, 51–200 Employees

The best place to store your keys

Comments: My experience with the program is very good, it helps me to remember the passwords on a daily basis and it helped me a lot to start using secure passwords in my accounts. The option to autocomplete the password is very convenient. I feel that in this way I am not only using better keys, but that I have them portable and in a safe place

Pros:

It is a very intuitive program, easy to install because you can use it from the desktop, the web browser or from the cell phone. It has very interesting functions such as the generation of secure keys, being able to export all your saved data or, for example, being able to create sections of different keys and also create shared folders to share keys. The self-locking system is very interesting for those people who may suffer the risk of being left open. In the case of the cell phone, you can unlock it with your fingerprint without the need to use the master key, so it makes it very comfortable to use.

Cons:

The most important against that I find, which at the same time is its greatest point, is that once you forget the password, you have no chance of recovering the account. This can be a great advantage if you are neat and have the keys well stored or a big problem if you did not save the key correctly. But this is more of a problem for the user than for the application itself.

Veona
Senior Quality Assurance Analyst in Kenya
Chemicals, 1,001–5,000 Employees

BITWARDEN: THE MASTER OF PASSWORD MANAGEMENT

Comments: Bitwarden is a long term solution for password Synchronization and management as well as an excellent tool to improve overall cloud data security.

Pros:

Bitwarden takes password management to a whole new level. It unapologetically eliminates all the headaches of having to remember hundreds of password. Once I create/generate a unique and strong master password, my job is to keep it in a safe and remember it then the rest of the passwords are secured through its advanced security features such as access/permission control, password encryption, cloud data security, 2F authentication among others. Additionally, it automatically saves login credentials for all my online accounts and services such that when I want to access a particular website it auto-fills the login fields and I don't have to manually type the credentials each an every time I need access.

Cons:

Bitwarden satisfies my passwords management needs, I've not encountered any downsides.

Daniel
Daniel
Video Editor in Brazil
Motion Pictures & Film, 2–10 Employees

A great free password manager

Comments: This software has an import process that works very well. If you already have logins and passwords for other services, it's very easy to import and organize them without much difficulty. It is also possible to organize all your passwords in folders, facilitating future consultations.

Pros:

The free version of this software is very good, as it allows saving passwords directly in the browser and automatically syncing them to the Android phone. It is also possible to add small notes, bank credentials or any other information in text mode easily.

Cons:

On some sites, this software does not automatically save the creation of a new login and password, and you have to add it manually. In some situations he wants to re-save a login and password that were previously added. It does not have a password resend option, but it does have the master password hint option.

Konrad
Machine Learning Engineer in Poland
Computer Software, Self Employed

Best Free Password Manager

Comments: I would definitely recommend using password manager to everyone as using different password for each service improves your security a lot. And Bitwarden is one of the best on the market. I used 3 different tools for this and I stay with Bitwarden :)

Pros:

Works on every platform, including mobile. It integrates really well with all popular browsers. It has also integration with mobile keyboards, which makes logging to websites on the phone super easy. Using password manager improves your security a lot.

Education Management, 10,000+ Employees

Secured logins online

Comments: I kept my all usernames and passwords with it and use them on the web for logins.

Pros:

It is both integrated and open source. I like the send feature because it makes it possible to send files securely without being watched. It is cross-platform software, so it can be used with all other devices. I appreciate the ability to easily and securely create and use passwords and identities.

Cons:

It is a bit clunky and not as user-friendly as I would like. Thereis no recovery option for master password.

Dave
Head of Household in US
Leisure, Travel & Tourism, 2–10 Employees

Solid rock

Comments: Haven't had any required. Program runs on autopilot. Click when I need it, runs flawless every time.

Pros:

Easy to operate, solid peace of mind. Not really for business, this home use program generates and saves long, randomly generated passwords. Ones that theoretically would take millions of years to hack. Just one less point of attack I can defend, for cheap. This program does the job well, just a single click to enter a very safe, unique password on a website. Simple and intuitive methods to control password requirements, access and lockout settings, and online vault storage.

Cons:

The directions can leave you confused. New password generation could be easier.