• Overall
    4.2 /5
    4.1 /5
    4.7 /5

About Primary

Untangle your digital plans, allow users and developers to work out together what jobs your app will do, and how it will do them.

Learn more about Primary

Frank V.
Director of Operations
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2020

"Great tool for designing and iterating on user journeys"

Pros: Primary provides versioning interface designs and data elements. We also like how structured the flow designer is. Other users may want more flexibility, but this is valuable to us because we can build a fixed process that can be trained to other staff members.

Cons: Wish the auto-generated documentation could be exported in other formats (e.g. CSV) so we could import into other tools. Would be nice to go from Primary to Jira after client approval.

by ReqFire on 26/10/2020

Frank, thanks for the feedback, I'll be in contact about the Jira idea, as we are working on that.

• Reviewed on 20/10/2020
Sávio F.
UX Designer
Design, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2020

"Great experience"

Comments: No major issues at all, actually it made my life easier to communicate and document a flow.

Pros: The it's centralizes all the information and how easy it is to export.

Cons: Some flows of navigation could be better, mainly when I need to share with someone which is not in the team. The away it shows it's confusing to navigate.

by ReqFire on 27/10/2020

Savio,
thanks for the review. We have recently released an update to the 'share' view that includes the kanban view of the flows to deal with that confusing nav issue. Hopefully that's helping.
cheers
James

• Reviewed on 23/10/2020
Matt C.
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2020

"Web design for non technicals"

Comments: Very good. Gave me a platform to design a web app in a simple way that keeps iterating to add more layers as I develop my ideas.

Pros: I am not a technical person. Primary however, gave me the ability to design and build my product idea in a non-technical way that has been very userful for communicating with technical experts.

Cons: The product is still developing. However, even in the last 12 months significant improvements in layout and useability have been delivered.

• Reviewed on 14/10/2020
Brent M.
CTO
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2020

"Great software for prototyping and UX"

Comments: Primary helps us map out user journeys quickly and effectively so we can communicate our ideas about how new features should work.

Pros: The software is one of the best tools I've used for mapping out user journeys

Cons: For non-UX people, the functionality is reasonably straightforward but not quite simple enough

Lauren Z.
VP, Creative
Design, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2020

"Helped us formalize and scale our testing"

Comments: Very positive!

Pros: Ease of use, features, documentation and annotation abilities

Cons: Nothing to really call out for this area

• Reviewed on 16/10/2020
Daniel O.
Managing Director
Information Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2020

"Primary makes end user journey experience easily to prototype, without needing a prototype."

Comments: Primary is great to brainstorm complex website flows, showing them to the client, and finding out what isn't going to work much faster and more cheaply than building a real prototype.
Thumbs up from me!

Pros: Once you get the hang of the concept behind Primary, the system is very easy to use, with drag-and-drop widgets, paste-to-upload wireframe images, or integrations with wireframe generators. Branching of pathways as the "visitor clicks different options" is also intuitive to follow.

Cons: There is a mental visualisation issue I have, with the fact that a "click" is really between one pageview and another, but it is not represented that way.
I personally would like to see the same user action shown at the bottom of one step in Primary, and the top of the next. Possibly even show it between the two steps in the Flows view.
But really, it's not that difficult to get used to how Primary does it.

• Reviewed on 14/12/2020
Marco P.
Head of Design
Design, 2-10 Employees

"DOS Review"

Pros: The idea around the user-flow management

Cons: Password unprotected online docs & presentations

by ReqFire on 12/10/2020

Hi Marco,
thanks for the review. Note that the presentation password update was released last week, we just haven't got around to sending the newsletter to let you know.

Gianluca C.
Designer
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/10/2020

"Love the product but there is room for improvement :)"

Comments: I love the concept and find primary extremely helpful during out handoff processes. The section Document is powerful (and I suggest to enhance it, also with easy-to-generate-and-read printable documents). However we as a team still have some issues when it comes to configuring it as some things are not easy to use / navigate as we would like, with the result that we think configuration takes more time than it should. Also sometimes we are forced to use other tools (InVision for presenting, Markdown editor / Office Word to create printable documentation) and spend one or two hours every handoff to explain how Primary works and can be navigated to others. We will continue to use it hoping these feedback can be taken into account in your roadmap :)

Pros: Sharing journeys and flows with an important focus on the documentation (what the user do, how the system respond..) and the possibility to create and re-use elements (interfaces, rules, data...). It's a great help when passing the project over the developer team in a structured way and with all the information needed that cannot be explained in the interface itself.

Cons: The value proposition (at least the one I perceived) is great. But the product still lacks some important features in my opinion.
- a full screen presentation mode, similar to InVision. The current presentation mode has great focus on the user and system actions. This is great in 2 cases: 1. sharing a project to a team that is already familiar with the interfaces 2. sharing a project with minimal interfaces with the goal to share a common understanding of the flows. But in many cases a navigable full screen view is better for presenting.
- releases cannot be edited to add/remove a flow. generally once created is not easy to understand what is inside a release and what is not, you need to go in presentation mode to understand that.
- it's not crystal clear how I should I use groups and how they relate to journeys (given that groups are not even visible in presentation mode)
- generally speaking navigation in the journeys and flows should be improved. small thing: we have very long flow names as we use User Stories. This is a problem in most cases are names are cut and we cannot recognize what flow we are selecting
- configuring flows should be easier. Examples: duplicating flows (also in bulk), reordering steps or branches, copying a step in a flow into another flow...

• Reviewed on 13/10/2020
Tiago P.
  • Reviewed on 12/10/2020

"Good product on early days"

Pros: Overall usage
Attention of the team to comments

Cons: Software still on early days
Not 100% stable yet

• Reviewed on 12/10/2020
Rebecca m. R.
Application Designer
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 08/10/2020

"Very good tool for sharing the process"

Pros: As a freelance application designer, I often work with small teams that don’t have much (any) experience with the UX process. Primary not only captures the user flows, it’s also a great tool for explaining the process to newbies.

Cons: Primary is opinionated. I honestly cannot decide whether that’s a good thing or not. It’s certainly better than trying to be all things to all people, but my opinion doesn’t always coincide wit’s that of the Primary designers.

Garrett A.
Product Designer
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/10/2020

"Good Idea But Needs More Functionality"

Comments: I think it’s a great idea for a tool but it thus far under-developed.

Pros: I liked having a new way to visualize a user flow.

Cons: I was charged after already having attempted to cancel. I didn’t find that the app served my needs. It didn’t have the breadth of functionality I would have expected and just during my initial use I discovered several show-stopping bugs.

by ReqFire on 12/10/2020

Hi Garrett, firstly apologies for the billing snafu. We did have some issues with subscriptions not cancelling correctly at one point. That's been solved and we are happy to refund any overcharging, just email me at [email protected] The app has grown considerably since you were a subscriber. We've added a journey mapping tool that integrates with our user flow maps. There's also a new presentation mode. Perhaps its time to revisit?