15 years helping Australian businesses

About ARCHICAD

Graphisoft develops Building Information Modeling software products for architects with Archicad and BIMx solutions.

Learn more about ARCHICAD

Pros:

Ease of use, basic tools and compatibility with other software.

Cons:

Sometimes i forget how to use the comment as well, because there is no a such preferring comment bellow guide me to use this application. So i prefer to add another comment bar for user guidden.

ARCHICAD ratings

4.2
4.3
4.4
4.1

8.3/10

ARCHICAD has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 277 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used ARCHICAD before?

Sofia
Sofia
Studend of Architecture and programming in Argentina
Computer Software, Self Employed

The best program for modeling in architecture

Comments: For my experience its a program that can run smothly in an ordinary PC, also has an amazing backup, the times that I expirience this programg crashing I didnt lose anything. You can model really big proyects and it doesnt have any problem.
And last but not least, like every program that can be used for professionals as for students it's amazing that they have a student free version.

Pros:

I Love that in first place is a really intuitive software, the first time that you use this program you can see how easy is to find every tool. The other thing that is a really awsome feature in this program is the costumisation of every single thing, you dont have to download almost any object to compleate the 3d, even the simplification of objects is excelent, you can for example place a door with a lot of details or just a realy minimalistic door from the same object. The integration with other apps is amazing, from my experience this is a really important factor for a good 3d modeling software,

Cons:

What I like the least of this software after 7 years of using it is the making of the ramps, it's not as customizable as the stairs.

Jeffrey
Studio Director in US

ArchiCAD is awesome!!

Comments: The ability to quickly illustrate an idea in 3D and present to a client for complete understanding of the design. Live 3D is virtually flawless in its ability to move about the model and make on-the-fly modifications.

Pros:

Ease of TeamWorking ability, able to model as easily in 3D as in 2D and 2D in any elevated manner.

Cons:

At first the learning curve was a bit steep and we seemed to have trouble getting work out the door while we were still learning the software, however that was 15 or so years ago and there are more learning and training opportunities available now.

Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

Powerful piece of software that could rival Revit if Graphisoft could shift their approach

Pros:

Sometimes I like that archicad is less rigid than Revit. It's easy to create what you want and to get it to look the way it should. Rendering is a breeze. Some of the tools are beyond intuitive. They function exactly the way they should.

Cons:

This is BIM light. You will be piecing together your model using slabs to represent everything under the sun. You will fudge things with solid element operations that will keep you up at night. Archicad will force you to be inaccurate unless you fight it to your last breath. You'll curse Archicad's lack of ortho snaps. The inability to create "blocks" is utterly ridiculous and maddening. There are 20 ways to access every objects setting and it will confuse you to no end for the first year. Instead of fixing problems and consolidating settings, Graphisoft has decided that their mantra is "addition." If something doesn't work right, just add features so that no one notices what they're missing. Instead of giving users what they need, modify the GUI and give them a bunch of useless crap to try to get them to buy the newest version. This is sloppy software development at its finest. It's sad because if they spent a few years cleaning up the beast that they've created, it could be a match for Revit. As is, it's a severely bloated Sketchup pretending to be a BIM package.

Principal in US

Not the greatest review - Good but not Great

Comments: We have been pretty productive with this software, but it also has it's annoying features.

Pros:

I like the robustness of the software - it is rare that we have to wait for the computer to catch up with the commands being implemented.

Cons:

It is complex and it requires regular use in order to utilize it with any effectiveness. I don't think there is a way around this (other similar software products are just as complex), but it would be nice if it were.

Carlos
BIM Manager in US

Review from a BIM manager

Comments: My experience with archicad it is been great. I will go now for 21 years using the program and help me to show my projects better every time.

Pros:

The easy way to use the modeling tools to create a good project.

Cons:

The limitation of some tools (curtain wall). I can not create a curve panel with mullions that follow the reference line. In the stair tool I can not separate the finish from the structure in the Core only representation

Christopher
CEO in Norway
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Solid architectural software which makes everyday life more easy

Comments: Our overall experience with the software is great. It is easy to set up for new employees, as well as manage from day to day. It has the features crucial for our daily work.

Pros:

It integrates well with how we operate at the office. We can seamless work together on bigger projects, as well as manage smaller projects on a one employee level.

Cons:

In our experience the software lacks some features seen in other competitors software. Even though these features are not crucial for our workflow, it would be a nice addition.

Nicola
Architectural Assistant in UK
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Developing designs is a breeze

Comments: Our developed design workflow has sped up. The ability to switch between 2d and 3d visualisations of the space allows us to pick up on issues we wouldn’t normally come across until much later in the design and mitigate them as necessary.

Pros:

The software sped up our workflow significantly from 2d software and is particularly useful for conceptual and developed design stages where we are continually tweaking the design. The 3d views are particularly useful for understanding design changes as a space. Setting up quick window and door layouts is particularly easy to do and change.

Cons:

The software works really well at the developed design stage but when it comes to technical design it is very difficult to apply specific products such as windows when the design is not covered by the basic archicad parameters and the company does not yet support the software in its downloads.

Construction, 2–10 Employees

Best 3D Architecture Software

Comments: as a civil engineering engineer Sa has been using Archicad for 5 years and believe me he is irreplaceable

Pros:

Archicard is an excellent civil engineering design software. Its 2D and 3D structure makes it exceptional. More than 2 available print formats is really amazing what we can do with this software. His object bank is what fascinates me the most.

Cons:

What I like least about Archicad is its ability, this software weighs a lot and automatically makes use a little slow when you don't have a machine with good capacity. The manufacturer should review this issue in order to facilitate use by all

Cláudia
Architect in Portugal

BIM software for architects

Pros:

Easy to use, lots of new functionalities, creates a 3D model as you go and it is super easy to get the 2D from it.

Cons:

A bit expensive and it tales a while to learn.

Great coordination Program

Comments: The business problem ArchiCad solve was time management. Having multiple people working on the same file simultaneously allows for fluidity in the modeling and design process.

Pros:

The biggest pro for this program would have to be how advanced it is with team coordination

Cons:

Some of its features take more time in advance to set up before using efficiently

Tim
Sole Proprietor in US
Architecture & Planning, Self Employed

28 years of Archicad

Comments: Excellent. Clarity over hand drafting. ease of changing any elements to the client's or our own wishes. Creating modules like kitchen or bathroom layouts and popping them in wherever needed, often with fewer modifications. Exploring complex spatial configurations.

Pros:

3D capabilities, I was able to start working with the features using Archicad (version 3) the day I got the program

Cons:

I find some of the newer features including the shell, morph, stair and railing tools difficult to use. I miss the fact some of the original roof tool features are put onto the shell tool instead; the original roof tool allowed more ease to construct most types of curved roofs more precisely in the section view; the shell tool works more easily in the 3D form which doesn't have the accuracy. My strategy to use the shell tool in a curved roof is to build a temporary wall the length and height of the extreme points, click on the wall to make the grey selection appear and freehand draw the curve with the pet pallet curve tools. I do not know how to make precise 3D points within the line. I use the morph tool to mostly make simple shapes: anything more complicated quickly turns into a jumbo. The morph tool is useful to tilt a Slab or other object like a 2X12 joist (Beam Tool) edge wise at a particular angle. We often use this process to make intricate shapes or filigree forms like tracery though we usually make these shapes by drawing our cut lines on a slab, create the holes using the space bar, selecting the piece with the marquee, go to parallel projections in View and "photograph" it at the angle we want to create a new custom object. I miss arch top windows in the window library in which the corners are not radial but sharp; also miss arched top windows with unequal legs. Real Windows had better windows including arch tops when they worked with earlier versions of Ar

Mark
Principal in US
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Archicad helps drive our firm to innovate

Comments: We first implemented Archicad with version 4.1 and have seen the development of this product help drive our firm to innovate and gradually adopt a robust BIM approach to our entire process that sets us apart from most of our peers. We now believe that Archicad can help us introduce a new paradigm that integrates our subconsultants and the general contractors we work within a single model database that will soon become the standard for delivery of architectural documentation and preconstruction services.

Pros:

Ease of use, workflows that increase our productivity and a bias to design in a 3D work environment that simultaneously produces visualization tools, like BIMx viewer, that allows our team and our clients to better understand the design at much earlier stages. We also love how Archicad is set up to favor front loading our labor with the benefit of reducing the total labor and time to final delivery.

Cons:

Archicad pushes the envelope that modern hardware can handle. We wish the program and the cloud based services were speedier. We also had problems with excessive crashes in AC 21, 23, and 24.

Accounting, 1,001–5,000 Employees

The best software for modeling

Comments: I love using this software and i recommand it.

Pros:

ArchiCAD is a modern software for projects related to architecture, ArchiCAD offers you features like 2D and 3D design, estimation, which is great and it adapts to several terminal. the interface is really superb

Cons:

I don't have any cons for this product i like and used it.

Ann Marie
Drafter in US
Architecture & Planning, 2–10 Employees

Everything we need - and more!

Comments: I've been using ArchiCAD since I began working as a drafter in 2000. I started on ArchiCAD 7 so I've seen a lot of versions come and go. As with everything else computer related, the ease of use has greatly improved since then. At the time I had used AutoCAD and (for a brief time) VersaCAD. I can't say I was immediately impressed during my first few years... but my opinion has definitely changed. The most recent versions have everything we could ask for.

Pros:

ArchiCAD works very well for our needs in our small architectural office. It's easy to draw with accuracy and 3D models can be easily created. It does what we need it to do - and then some! I would recommend it to anyone in the building trade.

Cons:

Probably my biggest annoyance isn't with the software itself at this point, more with the fact that I feel sometimes we don't use the software to it's full capacity, often because we aren't aware of a feature / ability it has until someone stumbles upon it.

Vikash
Architect in India
Architecture & Planning, 501–1,000 Employees

Do you need to learn Archicad

Comments: Overall if you are just venturing in BIM and just need to start somewhere, it is a good place to start.

Pros:

It has a very nice suite of features, nice integration based on BIM. For architectural purposes it has almost all the features and tools that one would need.

Cons:

There are some features that come with other BIM based software like Revit that are not present in Archicad. And 3rd party integration of software is also limited in Archicad as opposed to Revit.

Pascal
Bp1204 in Benin
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, Self Employed

Archicad for student

Comments: It's nice to use this software. Because I keep discovering features day by day. I recommend it for students like me and also for professionals who are already.

Pros:

what I particularly liked in this software is that it allows me as a student to learn the basics of construction by computer modeling but also the license is free for the rest of us. This allows us to be interested in it despite other software of its kind.

Cons:

not all computers can enjoy archicad. At the beginning my RAM memory was 2gb considering my means. I had to buy another computer to benefit from it. it suits me cost. And I have And if you reduce the capacity in such a way that small computers also Use it, that would be nice.

Kanav
Kanav
Architect in India

Value for Money & Great Software

Comments: Day by day i'm started feeling more connected to the software without comprising my design, explaining my design to my clients through this medium (ArhiCAD software) is always makes my confidence level up.
It's a good way to start your career.

Pros:

As an Architect it is important to have a good tool with you & i guess ArchiCAD is the first choice. as a young and aspiring architect i always wanted give a meaning to my design, This software help me to get a more practical approach to my work from the beginning of my design, I can work in more details of my project while managing it's 3-D model effortlessly. More control over model while drawing in 2-D is a plus. The more you will use it more will connect with the software.

Cons:

not much but the document manager is bit more complicated, it could more user friendly it will make our more easier.

Michelle
owner in US

27 years of ArchiCAD

Comments: We build our homes quickly and easily in the design phase and are able to walk-through the project with the clients for their feedback. We have the security that our clients UNDERSTAND their home which avoids disappointment and confusion

Pros:

In 1994, the thrill was the ease of use and amazing 3D results. Many of the original benefits have been perfected and continue to benefit our business

Cons:

It is very expensive. Additionally, in the desire to do everything for all I feel a level of complexity/difficulty has been reached in the software that training is a must. I strongly feel this should be offered to users at no additional cost.

Irédon
Researcher in India
Civil Engineering, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Top Project evaluation: archicad

Pros:

Most like performances I like from archicad are :1. Project materials needs estimation using archicad2. Complementary of archicad with other software3.project implementation in a real geographical area

Cons:

From archicad, I like less the cost of the software, But still apart from that buying archicad is not à waste of money

Berson
Architecture Technologist in Tanzania

Archicad for every architecture

Comments: Designing the chinese building roof that i was use complex profile to complete my task
My benefit by using this archicad are like
To fulfill my client requirement on time and fully fill my task on time without any compression.

Pros:

Complex profile It easy to use and good feature in archicad because it help to draw all thing your want during desnining Help to simplify work during design

Cons:

Rendering this feature missing some feature that why many user they use another program like Atlantis or lumion and 3D max during rendering so must be improved

lionel
CEO in Cameroon
Civil Engineering, 2–10 Employees

architecture tool

Pros:

this software is very good thanks to its rendering, and with it you don't have to draw the internal elements of a house yourself.

Cons:

I find that the dashboard of the new versions of this software can disturb those who are not used to the previous versions.

GRAPHISOFT Response

3 months ago

We're pleased you found CineRender in Archicad helpful! It's great to be able to create renders from the same model used for documentation. For an even better project presentation, consider using BIMx. It utilizes Archicad models, allowing clients to explore them alongside documentation and element information on various platforms (computer, mobile devices, browser). You have the option to conduct demonstrations using the gallery, which includes pre-saved views of models and documentation. We also acknowledge that interface changes can cause challenges. Our goal is to optimize the user experience while introducing new features. Thank you for sharing your feedback here!

James
James
Project Architect in US
Architecture & Planning, 11–50 Employees

We are a small half residential, half commercial architecture firm and use ArchiCAD exclusively.

Pros:

ArchiCAD allows the user a great deal of specificity when it comes to the 2D and 3D look of different objects, walls, doors, etc. Used in coordination with BIMx, it is an outstanding tool for combining visualization and documentation.

Cons:

Given that there is such a high level of allowable customization, it is not as easy to use "out-of-the-box". Without a more highly specified internal, firm-created template, there is a high learning curve to get CDs to look the way you want them to look.

akinlotan
Supervisor in Nigeria
Construction, 11–50 Employees

Dynamic and Ease to use

Comments: I use this software to prepare building plans especially presentation drawings.

Pros:

It is quite easy in designing building plan with this software. It makes work easier as it comes handy automatically with other parts of plans such as the elevations which makes works faster.

Cons:

The software gives a little challenge when i try to change gadgets as the product key is not readily available. But the customer care helps in solving this issue

LEWIS
LEWIS
urban planner in Kenya
Architecture & Planning, 10,000+ Employees

Ultimate architecture experience using archicad

Comments: I would say interesting in terms of capabilities you will discover with archicad

Pros:

Easy designing of the built environment with 3d visualization Very few softwares that can give such professional output and even the ones available none will compare to archicad.

Cons:

The only challenge is in designing for large neighborhoods,it lags especially when using a low performing computer

mark
architect/professor in Philippines
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

The Best BIM software

Comments: as an architect and professor in the University of the Visayas. I'm happy we purchased 20 licenses(Archicad 18) and i was amazed about the performance and the intuitive of the said software. Right now i'm happy because some of my students are working abroad and they're using archicad in australia and singapore. Keep it up!!!

GRAPHISOFT Response

8 years ago

Dear Mark, Thank you for your positive review. It's always great to hear from our users and it's good to know your students are getting on well with ARCHICAD. Best regards, Team GRAPHISOFT