15 years helping Australian businesses

About PayPal

From payments to credit to fraud protection, PayPal Commerce Platform helps you meet your customers where they are.

Learn more about PayPal

Pros:

There are some good advantages to having a paypal account and can make it worth the money. One of the best things about paypal, is the ability to be able to use paypal to buy things online.

Cons:

The most frustrating experience is recently I had a dispute and I could not see the dispute details in the app and had to login via the browser.

PayPal ratings

4.6
4.3
4.6
4.5

8.8/10

PayPal has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 25,098 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used PayPal before?

Filter reviews (25,098)

Igor
Igor
President and Owner in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, Self Employed

Paypalls use

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Very satisfied and ive been using it for over 10 yeats.

Pros:

The ease of use and the low to no fees and the speed of the transactions.

Cons:

I haven't had aby negative experience with them.

Fund-Raising, 2–10 Employees

PayPal does the trick

4.0 last month New

Comments: It’s been good. Customer who have PayPal are able to pay me quickly.

Pros:

Most services link to paypal so it’s easy to setup and deploy

Cons:

I don’t like having to login to use PayPal.

Kimberly
Kimberly
Owner in US
Hospitality, Self Employed

Villainous and So Secure!

3.0 last month New

Comments: Cool and professional feeling but I'd not likely go back.
I found Google Docs and Sheets and Photos to just run better with a route through Found Bank.
Paypal is not client friendly.

Pros:

I love the ease of invoicing but dislike how the layout sits. They are EXTREME about their safety and security. Literally accepts any payments.

Cons:

Their security was great! The fifty minutes on the phone 2+ times a day didn't help me in the damn least. Automatic payment taken from my account due to charge back. Then the inability for them to respond really upsets me.

Derekjr
Manager in South Africa
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Payments made easy with PayPal

Comments: PayPal provides secure transactions, convenience, and excellent buyer protection, ensuring a satisfying experience for online purchases and transactions.

Pros:

It's widely accepted online and offers buyer and seller protection.

Cons:

PayPal sometimes charges fees for certain transactions and Occasionally freezes accounts

Best Payment Service

Pros:

I like Paypal as my best payment method for all international transactions. Working as freelancer or receiving payment from any organization or personal payment I always use Paypal for my all accounts. Easy to create invoice and send payment request through paypal. Receiving payment from anywhere in the world I only use paypal as my payment method. Although there's small difference in the actual conversation rate.

Cons:

The only thing which I like to discuss is the conversation rates, some time the paypal conversation rate is different compare to any other alternative payment method. Otherwise service is best in industry.

Real Estate, Self Employed

Great for Small Business Invoicing

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Pros:

It's really easy to use PayPal, both as a vendor and as a customer. Everybody knows the brand and considers it trustworthy. It allows me to include my own branding on the invoices I send out and lets me save templates for things I use most frequently.

Cons:

The email that is sent to the payers can sometimes looks like an attempt at phishing, so customers sometimes call to verify to make sure the invoice is actually from me.

Diego
patron in France
Wholesale, 2–10 Employees

There is nothing better

5.0 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall it is an excellent application or site to be able to manage your expenses and see your history. In fact, it is used to administer your expenses much more easily than on other services.

Pros:

In truth, the only thing that bothers me is the slowness of 30% of their functionality or service and the difficulty of adding a bank card to the Paypal account.

Cons:

What I like is the ease of use that Paypal offers and especially the fact that it offers lots of features that are just as useful as the others

Marketing & Advertising, 10,000+ Employees

The best international payment gateway

5.0 last month New

Pros:

1. Multi currency transfer is very quick 2. No tax liability 3. Super safe to use

Cons:

1. A bit expensive however worth of each penny 2. A bit rigid of customisation

Altaf
Altaf
Owner in India
Design, 2–10 Employees

Extremely high charge for international payments

5.0 last month New

Pros:

The only thing I like about Paypal is it's ease of use.

Cons:

Paypal charge you a lot of fees when it comes to international payments. It charges around 8-9% of the transaction amount. Yup, you heard it right. I would highly recommend looking for an alternative if you want to make international transactions.

Utilities, 2–10 Employees

My score about paypal

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Ur platform informative and ur ordena web

Cons:

Expensive fees when i am paying some product or service

Monique
Web Designer in US
Online Media, 2–10 Employees

A great tool for any size business, but also for the average Joe to send money to a friend for tix.

Comments: My overall experience with PayPal as a buyer is very positive. I am happy that it is easy to use and I am protected. As a seller/business, my experience is mostly positive. I enjoy the features, the ease, and the trustworthiness as an option to my customers. However, it is difficult (near impossible) to use when you have someone using the PayPal software to get refunds.

Pros:

There are so many pros. I use this software as a business, to help set-up other businesses to accept online payments, but I also use it as a person. Let me explain, I use it to send money to friends to pay for my half of our concert tickets. I use it to pay my mom back for the loan she gave me. My mom uses it to send me money if there are emergencies. One of the biggest pros is that it is easy. PayPal is by far the easiest to use, after it is set-up. You can have all your bank accounts, cards, etc. all in one place. I do not have to have my wallet handy. Checkout is a breeze. It is the same experience across any store, and any place that uses PayPal. As a business, it is trusted, and that is a huge plus. They are hugely protective of buyers, which makes you feel safe using it. Continually, there are tools like invoicing, website button codes, abilities to send reminders, or monthly auto-payment requests. The possibilities as a business and a regular 'person' are endless. I use this software daily. I even sometimes use it as a sort of 'bank account' and use the attached debit card.

Cons:

The same thing that is a pro, is actually a con, though from the seller's perspective. Frankly, because the buyer protections are so strict, it can mean that money is taken from your account as a seller, without your consent. It is very difficult to regain that money. A seller must take photos, videos, and keep stellar documentation to protect themselves. The actual process itself is a bit cumbersome and not the easiest to find. A second "con" is the fees. Obviously it costs money to process credit cards, but the fees do get to be a bit excessive. However, they are competitive in terms of how much they charge.

Entertainment, Self Employed

Paypal makes online business easy

Comments: Paypal has made it easy for me to conduct business online with people from all over the world. The transactions fees (if any, depending on transaction) are reasonable and worth the services provided. Having a debit card attached to the business account makes it even easier to shop anywhere and have full access to my funds when and where I need them. It is also extremely convenient that paying with Paypal has become a widely accepted form of payment at many retailers skipping the need for a plastic card in some cases.

Pros:

Paypal is extremely easy to use and gives you step-by-step instructions on how to set up and get the most out of your account. They also have helpful add-ons for business owners, an easy invoice and payment set up and easy to read account information. Paypal also provides suggestions for other software you may find helpful and offers business tools that make it easy for anyone to use the service as a payment option for any type of non-adult entertainment related business.

Cons:

In order to have a verified account, it must be connected to an actual bank account from another financial institution. If your account is not "Verified" there are limitations in place.

Kristen
Owner in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

PayPal is trusted and recognized - Very Useful!

Comments: PayPal makes it easy and secure to send and receive payments. The sign-up process is simple and secure. It is easy to add an account. PayPal has a clean, easy-to-navigate interface that puts everything right in front of you. You can find your account balance or what you're looking for right away. You can send payment requests to friends or clients, or send money to others from your bank account. Many online retailers accept PayPal, allowing you to pay online securely.

Pros:

PayPal is one of the most well-known, trusted, and recognized brands when it comes to e-commerce and online financial transactions. Because of it's recognition, it's a name people trust. Offering PayPal as a method of pay to prospective clients or buyers is an easy way to allow people to spend their money with you. Using PayPal as a customer gives you a feeling of security that less recognizable brands don't offer.

Cons:

Customer support for PayPal is not as robust as one would hope for a company dealing with financial transactions. Additionally, PayPal is one of the many online companies that struggle to find a balance in mediating disputes between buyers and sellers of online products and services. This sometimes results in legitimate gripes about PayPal making it too easy for scammers to get money out of honest online retailers. This problem is not unique to PayPal and it will take the whole internet and legal communities to solve.

SARA
Professional Musician in US
Music, 2–10 Employees

Every Artist Needs PayPal

Comments: PayPal is one of the most well-known services in the world. It has achieved this status for a very important reason - it connects our ability to do business on a global level. You can transfer any currency within seconds. Security is a paramount by protecting both the sender and reciever. The site is user friendly, feature friendly, and accessible to anyone.

Pros:

Paypal is my favorite payment portal. It is possible to link multiple payment types, like debit cards credit cards, and bank accounts. I am able to reach customers who want to purchase a product or purchase music from across the world and I am paid directly to my PayPal account balance. Once the funds are transferred I can transfer them directly into my bank account for no fee and the transfer typically takes a single business day. The user also has the option for immediate deposit via debit card for a small fee. So if you need the funds transferred quickly, PayPal has an option for you. I also use PayPal to send and receive payments from personal sales on Ebay and Reverb. The buyer is protected from fraud and holds funds until the item is received, ensuring that the buyer gets the item and is satisfied. This gives me peace of mind when transferring funds. PayPal is for everyone and you can also send money to family or friends. I have been using it for years and can't imagine not having the convenience of its service.

Cons:

Sometimes reaching PayPal directly can take a day or two for complete resolution. So far I have yet to encounter a problem that wasn't resolved within a day.

Francisco
CEO in Spain
Design, 2–10 Employees

The payment method that sells best

Comments: We are using Paypal since at least 10 years in many projects, and always it's a win-win combination due to his reliability, as a customer and as a buyer

Pros:

We have several payment methods in our website, but PayPal is, with a great difference the preferred by our all customers. Even myself prefer this in my personal bougths. It gives a great security perception to the final customer because there is no need to give your credit card data. Recently it has launched a new prestashop checkout module which integrates even a lot of new possibilities to local providers, this, helps a lot again the security perception to the customer Also the security policies to the buyer, also give them an additional security layer with free returns, claims center...

Cons:

The only one cons I can find to PayPal is his fees. It's more expensive to any other payment method. They're the best and get this advantage is his own profit

Avash
Avash
WordPress Web Developer and Pagespeed Optimization Specialist in Nepal
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

One of the Best Platforms for Online Payment

Comments: I love PayPal. Using it is as easy as browsing the internet. I can receive and request payment from clients all over the world in few minutes as it is accepted in almost all country. It's also easy to track incomes and financial activities. PayPal has made my professional life a lot easier.

Pros:

As a part-time freelancer, I have clients from many countries and I use PayPal most of the time to receive money. With PayPal, I can receive money, request money from clients and send invoices instantly to clients and all at a very low cost. I also feel that my information is secure on PayPal as they are a bit ahead in Information Security than other similar platforms. It is also easy to shop online using PayPal as it is accepted in almost all major platforms. Paypal has great and minimal User Interface, so it's very intuitive to use it. The feature I like most is that we can create a PayPal.me payment URL and also embed it in websites. I also like that we can create a pool and then pay in a team.

Cons:

Sometimes they lock your account for unknown reasons and it can be frustrating but those things are necessary to keep scammers and fraud out of PayPal so they aren't big deal. However, I have experienced bad errors a few time during checkout. I don't know why it happens but has happened multiple times to me.

Mark
CEO in US
Construction, 201–500 Employees

when it comes to pay and get paid online ,PayPal is the faster, safer way

Comments: Overall I enjoyed using Paypal and so far I had no problems at all ,I recommend this to my friends because it is the most reliable option when it comes to online money transfers.

Pros:

The ease of use and access.adding crypto currency options.the controlling of the transaction with the ability to view the history with up-to-date information.

Cons:

Paypal app on IOS has some serious problems.People can also be blocked by PayPal without warning, and they can freeze and hold money from that account, which is inconvenient for the user.

Samridh
Samridh
Electrical Engineer II in US
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 501–1,000 Employees

My goto place for transactions

Pros:

Everyone who has done some sort of online payment and transactions have hear of paypal so it wouldn't be wrong to say it is one of the most used online third party payment source in variety of businesses. I have used paypal for last 10 years and still do for many of my online purchases and even fund raisers. - Easy to create account and use it Paypal account is free to create for normal usage and anyone can have it. It is simple, straightforward, and most importantly no hassles. - Secure and safe At this age where technology is everywhere data security is super important. Paypal takes user information and data very seriously and does encrypt it in the most secure way. - Easy to links accounts You can put money in paypal or link bank accounts and transfer directly. You can even send money to family and friends with a few click of buttons once your accounts is link. How great is that. - Smooth transactions Whether you are selling stuff or buying, everyone trusts paypal so using it for a means of payment is accepted everywhere. Ebay users are one of the biggest user of paypal. - History Your buying, selling, depositing and withdrawing information are locked and loaded on paypal for viewing. When someone like me who continuously buys on ebay and sometimes sells as well, paypal helps me understand how much important it is to have these individual transactions stored and organized.

Cons:

Paypal is great except, - Transaction fees for businesses Do you buy and sell on ebay? Then there is some fee one has to pay which is not great for everyone. I hated those fees but a small price to pay for convenience I think - Not good for big businesses Paypal is not for big business for sure due to its lack of proper customer support and backup. Better go elsewhere. I never had to deal with it but I know a few people whose paypal account got frozen or removed for no reason. That could be a disaster for sure and that means you have to go through a lengthy process to get your money back if you lost some.

Cullen
Cullen
Business Intelligence Analyst in US
Information Services, Self Employed

PayPal Reaches New Heights in Security and Convenience

Comments: PayPal has served me well over the past 8 years or so and I will continue doing so. I've always felt a sense of security around my purchases and integrity of confidential information. Its amazing how PayPal has managed to serve such high standard of security related services while continuing to enhance its convenience via new features, fast support, and a ever widening network of user touch-points. PayPal's availability is far beyond what today's local banks offer. Users can find uses in websites/stores that accept PayPal, in-person physical access to your account for withdraw or deposit, and full control anytime, anywhere with the mobile app and superb web interface.

Pros:

PayPal has always worked without fail when used as a payment method. In one glance at my PayPal dashboard either on my computer or mobile device, I'm able to check my balance, credit balance, credit payment due date and more. I've even found myself without cash or balance in my local checking when I needed to pay a bill. That's when I tried PayPal cash withdrawal using the app for the first time. Within minutes I had the money I needed! There are so many benefits and tools built around convenience within PayPal that I can't say enough. I'm a fan of investing and when PayPal teamed with Acorns for easy round up investments I was quick to take advantage of it. To be honest, I hardly use my checking compared to how much I use my PayPal account.

Cons:

There isn't much to dislike about PayPal, however I there were a few times I had sent/received money from family and it was mistakenly handled as a payment. The problem was purely user based. More than likely the manner in which we requested and/or sent the money was different than the "Gift" function. The gift being handled as a payment for services instead lead to a fee of a substantial amount. Perhaps some better explanation on requesting a gift vs. payment and such. I see PayPal has recently introduced an invoicing system which is amazing. I hope they continue to do so as they were lacking free services targeted towards individual entrepreneurs who did business under their own name rather than a business.

Tamara
Web Developer in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Easiest Payment Option

Comments: After a photo session with a large family, the parents are often times a little overwhelmed with getting everything together. So I simple let them know that I have paypal. And pretty much every time they look relieved and glad they don't have to worry about another thing. It's a few clicks and the money is sent. It really is that easy. And I think it takes the burden off of my clients to try and remember everything they need for the day of the photoshoot. And I don't have to worry about getting paid. Paypal will send me a notification when someone pays me. Which is just another bonus.

Pros:

I remember when Paypal started to show up on Ebay years ago. It helped do the basics of purchasing things more securely than just using a debit card. But It has grow so much more. I use paypal for everything. It's so easy to access. Their app I've never had issues with and its easy to navigate. I use it to pay rent, pay my phone bill, send money, and receive money. One of the things that I also enjoy that paypal offers is paypal credit. Depending on your credit score you are allowed to borrow a certain amount of money. First few months it was $700 for me and now its $1100. You get up to six months to pay it off. You do have to pay a small fee but if you pay it off by the 6 months there is no interest. Another thing that I just recently signed up for is the paypal cash. Paypal now offers what looks like a debit card (no numbers just a chip) and you can load it up with cash from your bank account and use it to pay for things online and in stores. I just ordered it (its free) and its in the mail on its way.

Cons:

I do wish paypal credit would help improve your credit score. It doesn't impact your credit in anyway that I know of so you can't grow your credit score. Which to me is a huge loss since I use paypal everyday and pay it off right away. One other thing- though this honestly has nothing to do with paypal. I wish more companies used it! Its a secure way to check out yet it's only used by maybe half of the companies I buy from.

Kayla
Accountant/Scheduler in US
Accounting, 2–10 Employees

Paypal Benefits Hillmann Home Repairs Business

Comments: As stated above, overall our experience with PayPal has been a positive one. It is a quick and easy way to receive our money from whatever jobs we have completed in the week, and we are able to divide our money to spread to our employees who receive a percentage of the job they are working on as well.

Pros:

My husband and I recently started our own business and felt as though we needed an easy way for our clients to be able to pay. It is easy for us to provide the business emails to customers and they are easily able to follow the link to send us the money that is required for our services. It is reliable and a bit better than a bank that provides us with ridiculous amounts of fees for transfers and overdraft charges. It also makes it easier for us to pay our employees, which as I stated we are a small family owned company, so far we have two employees including my husband who is the business owner. When we do a job that day, we are able to send our employees their percentage of the job quickly and efficiently.

Cons:

The only thing that we were not happy about with paypal is the transfer fee of 1.27 every time you go to transfer money to someone elses account. It seems a bit ridiculous to us, because then in order to pay our employee the proper amount, we have to worry about sending an extra 1.27 to cover the fee that they charge.

Castro
IT Consultant in Kenya
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Best for Online Money Transfer

Comments: My overall experience using PayPal has been awesome. I have managed to do online transactions with people located from different parts of the world. With PayPal, I can now do business with clients from any part of the world as I am assured of instant payments from PayPal.

Pros:

I like how secure PayPal is. This means that your money is only accessible to you and you alone. If anyone tries to log in to your PayPal account, PayPal with alert you immediately and they will even require the person logging into your account to verify themselves. I also like the fact that transactions on PayPal are instant. Once the sender clicks on send, the recipient receives that money immediately without any delays. For users residing in Kenya, PayPal has partnered with Safaricom's M-pesa. This makes it easy for them to withdraw money from PayPal to M-pesa, which is also instant. I also like the fact that I can link my local bank with PayPal and be able to withdraw my money from PayPal to bank.

Cons:

What I like least about PayPal is the way they temporarily hold your money for no reason even if it is from a genuine source. This is not good at all. Some times someone might receive money send during an emergency and then PayPal just decides to hold it for 24 hours. I also do not like how PayPal suspends users accounts. If they are to do so, then it would have been good they get enough evidence before closing the accounts. Sometimes these accounts might be closed with money on them. It gets difficult convincing them to give you the money that was saved there before the account was suspended.

Dayle
Web Developer in UK
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Great Service, but terrible Customer Service

Comments: Dreadful. Not only was my business jeopardised by PayPals poor customer services, ultimately I had to close my shop as I couldn’t run a business where the funds were put on hold 6 months at a time, every six months! I didn’t have funds to reinvest, and had to use personal funds to take care of any refunds and/ or postage. I made around 9 calls to their Ireland call centres to resolve my problem, all at my expensive, which even then nothing got resolved. The funds were just released after the maximum time they could holds the funds for - 6 months.

Pros:

It’s extremely easy to setup and get started, and very widely used. Everyone seems to have a PayPal account nowadays. I love the fact that you can send invoices, receipts, payment requests, and of course your payments all from within a single dashboard that is nicely laid out and easy to navigate. PayPal even gives you the option now to make purchases on credit and pay later which is a very nice new feature.

Cons:

The software itself I cannot really fault. I have used them for 10+ years and don’t have anything bad to say regarding the software. My issue (and what seems to be their main downfall) is PayPal putting a hold on funds! This is a NIGHTMARE to resolve. I had an eBay store which at the time was selling electronics rapidly. I bought bulk products and I sold everything in the space of a month. Around £6,000 profit was sitting in my PayPal account, and then all of a sudden PayPal decided to put a hold on my account. During a ‘hold’, no funds can be transferred from your PayPal account to your Bank Account, nor can the funds be used for any other purchases until you have provided proof of identification (despite them already having my ID when I registered my account), proof of sales, proof of purchase of my products & authenticity. Of course, I provided these immediately. However, regardless to PayPal stating they will look through my documents and a decision will be made, PayPal is that back dated with these holds that they quite often never get around to dealing with most of them! The maximum PayPal can hold your funds is 6 months according to one of their agents. Their call centres are based in Ireland, with extortionate call rates, and they keep you on hold for around 40 minutes usually. My funds were automatically released after 6 months. So I reinvested, bought bulk again, sold up after a month, and they put my account on hold again for another 6 months!

Yashovardhan
Researcher in India
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Paypal as a digital payment processor

Comments: PayPal is a secure, fast and convenient way to send and receive money. For me, it is an easy to use payment method that I can use without having to worry about my credit card information being stolen. I can easily send money to friends or family using the app on my phone and I don't have to worry about the fees associated with sending money internationally.

Pros:

PayPal is a service that allows people to send and receive money online. It is a convenient way to pay for goods or services and can be accessed on mobile devices. PayPal is one of the most popular payment methods in the world. They allow people to send and receive money online, making life easier. People can use PayPal on their smartphones as well as computers with internet connections, making it more accessible than ever before

Cons:

What I liked least about PayPal was that it was not accepted by all websites. I had trouble using my PayPal account on some sites because they did not accept PayPal as a form of payment. Also one more downside of PayPal is that it does not offer any rewards programs for its customers.

Sumith
Territory Manager in India
Consumer Services, Self Employed

Scammed from Paypal - No Investigation happening. Always says in Seller support

Comments: I Bought a Smartphone from SUNSKY a Chinese Online Provider world wide. I Ordered only because being ordering from india in china i dont want to take a risk so through Paypal which i saw plenty of reviews that might support if any issue arise. So I ordered Unihertz Tank 2 Smartphone from SUNSKY but i received Unihertz Tank 1 Which was Less in Price & a year Back Modal. I received Through DHL( Even i Had a Issue with them who took 77.8 % (Value of the phone) of Custom Duty from me after providing plenty of Proofs. I paid huge amount for Customs & 367 USD for the smartphone. When i opened it then only i come to know its a diffrent product which i oredered for. I Contacted SUNSKY sales manager who appoligied and said they dont have the smartphone what i oredred & Will provide Refund of the balance Money after deducting the price of the arrived modal. Then i told them i dont want this i ordered only that & i need that.
So I raised a dispute with Paypal believing that i get the refund. They said Return the smartphone & I Will get the refund. I raised the Concern on September & Send back the Smartphone phone even for that i paid a high Money as you all know from Fedex. They Recived the Smartphone sho the sales manager of SUNSKY Confromed. But The dispute what i raised with Paypal without Investigating again send msg to send back the product. Even though i have provide all the proofs from Courier Slip to Delieverd Screenshot from Courier Site. STill Paypal Closed the dispute stating as the send smartphone is new no parts been damaged so been given in faviur of seller. I Was Shocked that even after providing all the proofs paypal easyly sayd its been for seller Favour. I Spoke with Sales manager she told if i havent raised dispute they might have given me the refund. Again i raised dispute & after 2 weeks again its been seller favour. I Dont have any Customer care no(has but goes compuresied voice) & Mail ID(again has mail ID but it autoreply). Again i tired contact the seller & Requested them to Refund as i told all the loos & what Paypal been giving reply. Later They convinced & Given the refund. Even now in paypal its seller favour.
No Support been got for me from Paypal even i provide all proofs. They say they Investigate but it wasent happed. Its Just a Msg what they gave me. So i Strongly Dont recommed PAYPAL from Any individual who orders from Out of Country once in a year. So Just Believe the site rather Believing Payapl. Ts was the worst from a leading customer support Concern which i experienced through out. After this i will delete my paypal account & I also recommend not to use Payapal for someone who does ordering occassionally. After this its upto you guys to believe. If i had any options to Attch i might have attached all the communication from my Paypal account what they have said.

Pros:

Easy Payment - Can be used for any online payment through out the world

Cons:

No Customer Support for any Individula Transactions. Not Even Investigating the Dispute rather Providing Support to Seller (Might Be Providing some business oppurtunities to PayPal being a International Online service provider) Will Not all Recommend for any individual Person who orders for Personal use like Smartphone ( Like what i did & Dissatified with the experience)