Wave Accounting Reviews

• Overall
    4.4 /5
    4.4 /5
    4.1 /5

About Wave Accounting

Wave offers small business owners real double-entry accounting that is integrated with the rest of Wave's solutions, 100% free!

Learn more about Wave Accounting

Showing 1,052 reviews

Proinsias M.
Owner Manager Digital Specialist
Online Media, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 03/03/2021

"Wave Accounting is great for a Startup Business"

Comments: I was very happy with the invoicing, payments, and the Design and functionality. I was able to search past transactions very easily. I did not pay for premium support, but the support that I recieve is excellent.

Pros: It was free to use the accounting services
I was able to invoice customers using Stripe as a Payment Gateway which was great value
The Design and User Interface is very professional compared to others that I have seen
The Payment Gateway was also very professional when sent to customers, it added to the credibility of the business

Cons: My particular Bank would not allow me to sync my account with Wave, but that was a local issue not a general issue.
I was very very happy with the invoicing. but I always felt that the ledger views were not as robust.

• Reviewed on 03/03/2021
James K.
Research Manager
Research, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 01/03/2021

"Best FREE Accounting and Invoicing App for Small businesses/Freelancers"

Comments: WAVE is the best inexpensive mobile and cloud accounting software out there. I doubt if there is any accounting and invoicing software that can provide all of WAVE's features for free!

Pros: I use Wave Mobile App for my business' finance, for managing my income and expenses. I use wave for billing and creating invoices for my clients. After using Wave for over 2 years now, I can say it works quite well. It allows me to create client contacts, which the app automatically uses to create client record books. The interface is simple and easy to get along with. The fingerprint unlock integration is one of my best features because I am able to sign in to the app without trying hard to remember passwords or pins. Above all, I think the best thing about Wave is, you get most of the relevant features needed for FREE!

Cons: There are few hitches I encounter using wave. I am not able to write off a partly paid bill as bad debt if all attempts to reclaim the payment from my clients fail. Sometimes, people pay about 70% and fail to pay for the rest. In order to close the invoice, I will have to mark it as completely paid and doing that can overstate or affect my financial records and reports within Wave.

• Reviewed on 01/03/2021
Cheikh B.
Wave review
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 12/01/2021

"Good accounting software"

Comments: The speed with which the credit cards were processed automatically saved me a lot of time.

Pros: This is a very complete software that allows you to build quotes and convert them into invoices in a fraction of a second without much effort. Wave is excellent especially when it comes to credit card processing which is done automatically with a very low 1% fee. It is very easy to set up and use and the cost is low or even free. Personally, I recommend buying this package because it comes with support: from setting up your account to the specific categories for your company . The other advantage of Wave is the presence of a number of applications to send invoices when you are away from your workplace. So even when you're away from home you can download them. In this case, all you have to do is take the photo on the spot.

Cons: The problem on the Wave software is not so numerous, but we notice that it is impossible to close a period correctly. All members who are able to make transactions have the possibility to change or add entries from the previous year. For me an administrator must have the ability to close a period so that no changes are made. User growth is also very limited. The lack of audit trails for transaction entries is also a case of imperfection at Wave . Admittedly, it is possible to generate transactions, then generate reports, then cancel the transactions, etc. But there is no proof that these changes are made yes or no, because the software is unable to remember its categorizations. The keyword search function is absent from Wave in the transactions section and sometimes it makes us lose a lot of time.

• Reviewed on 12/01/2021
Felix J.
Auditor
Accounting, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/09/2019

"A Solid Free Small Business Accounting Software"

Comments: It’s been a solid piece of cloud accounting software, albeit limited. It’s hard to beat the price of it, and I have yet to find a similar but more fully featured one at the price of FREE!

Pros: I use Wave to keep track of my personal finances, from income to spending. In that lens, Wave performs quite well, allowing you to tag transactions that are automatically imported from your bank. It also lets you generate some simple reports such as your income statement, balance sheet, and cash flow. The interface is simple to use and understand, and I was able to pick it up (coming from an accounting background) in under a few minutes, without having gone through a walkthrough. The included ability to reconcile statements is also quite handy and allows me to verify that all transactions are posted appropriately. The inclusion of receipt tracking and tagging is also quite handy! The best part about Wave is the price! If you don’t need features such as invoicing and payroll (some SMB’s may find these handy. From a personal perspective, I did not), the accounting software is completely free.

Cons: Wave still appears to be in its infancy, although the product has been there for a while. The user interface will frequently be updated (the reconciliation flow changed 3 times since I signed up about 6 months ago), and new features will constantly be added without any notification, often shifting often things around from where you expect them to be. The reports from Wave are also very limited, so don’t expect any customizable reports as of 08/2019. You get about 12 reports total, some or all of which may not be very relevant to you, depending on your end goal. These reports are completely canned, system generated, and you do not have the ability to create new reports. This may change in the future, but as it stands, this is the current state of affairs. The receipt tracking feature is definitely handy to have. While Wave will OCR your receipts and tag them to a category, it will actually post an entire transaction to the ledger when you save it down. For those of us with a bank account and credit card linked to auto import transactions, you’ll get a duplicate: one from the CC, and one from the receipt. It would be nice if Wave included some intelligence to automatically match the receipt and transaction together, but for now, you need to manually merge each. Finally, as a small point, Wave does not obtain any service assurance through SOC1 or SOC2 reports, an issue that most people wouldn’t ever care about.

• Reviewed on 02/09/2019
Virtual Bookkeeper and Web Designer
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2017

"Easy to use and helpful"

Comments: Easy, almost fully automated bookkeeping. The invoicing and payment features automatically updates my books when I get paid, the bank connection means that I only have to reconcile my account to make sure everything is ok.

Pros: This is great for the very new or very small business. It's easy to use and has all of the basic features that you will need for an unbeatable price. It's very easy to use and the documentation and support have been very helpful. There is no phone option but live chat is available and I have never had to wait more than a day for an e-mail response. It is truly free to use for accounting. You have the options of accepting credit card and bank payments for a very competitive rate. The only other cost is for payroll if you were to use that feature. The software is in active development and since I started using it they have added great features such as Invoicing app, recurring payments, and bank payments and it keeps getting better.

Cons: Limited reporting, you get all of the basics that you will need to measure your financial health, receivables, etc but there are no custom reports. While you can very easily reconcile your bank account, you can't print a reconciliation report. There is no class/job tracking feature and while it looks like many users have requested it, it doesn't look like the developers are planning on implementing it anytime soon. So if your business needs this feature, this is not the right option for you.

• Reviewed on 20/11/2017
Mark B.
Owner, Creative Director
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2020

"You don't need an accounting degree, but..."

Comments: Genuinely happy with Wave for the most part. It's a perfect accounting companion for someone just starting up a company or working freelance. If you do your homework and due diligence on the front end when you set it up, and read a few tutorials and tips along the way, you should be pretty satisfied with what Wave can do for you.

Pros: Wave is so easy to use. In the past, we used QuickBooks and mostly put up with some of the quirks that platform has. With Wave, though, things are streamlined and fairly intuitive. You have access to a dashboard that shows you all the important things going on with your account, invoices are easy to template and track, and you can link your bank accounts for even tighter tracking and money management. Mostly what I like about Wave is that I can get in and get out and not get a giant headache trying to figure all of this out. And we are on the free plan, so that alone is great. That, however, does come at a price...

Cons: I'm not an accountant, so it's not Wave's fault that I don't quite get all the ins and outs I should. But my actual tax accountant tells me that she gets frustrated with how some of the reporting is handled and the way things are reconciled. Part of that, I think, is that everyone is used to how things run on QuickBooks. So we've ironed out some of the issues and made due where we can. I did mention above that we are on the free plan, so we don't have access to a dedicated rep or some of the bigger features. That's ok for us, but other larger companies might not agree. We have also had issues at times with how Wave handles syncing to our bank accounts. Sometimes operator error on our end, but sometimes not. Again, it's free, so you should expect to maybe have to put in some extra work here and there. Just letting you know.

• Reviewed on 09/09/2020
Life and Business Coach
Professional Training & Coaching, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/05/2019

"Wave Review"

Comments: Wave makes accounting so easy for a non-accountant and has given me ability to stay on top of my finances because I now update my accounts daily. Tax time is much easier and I'm sure my accountant will give a sigh of relief this year.

Pros: I had struggled with my accounts for many years and sometimes avoided them until it was absolutely necessary. Tax time became a nightmare and I felt embarrassed each time the accountant asked me questions I had no answers to. My business is pretty easy to account for so I didn't need a large software program. With Wave, I was able to set up and update my accounts in one afternoon. It's helped me reconcile all my wallets and I love the fact that I can generate any reports I require very fast.

Cons: They don't have an offline version so I can't update my accounts without internet access.

• Reviewed on 17/05/2019
Eoin G.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/07/2020

"I wanted to love Wave"

Comments: Wave's early product was good, it had all the features I needed except I couldn't import transactions. Since I first started my "trial" run mid year it meant I would have to manually enter all my transactions back to the beginning of the year which was not a sustainable proposition.

Pros: Free/low cost options and flat fee options. Newer solutions like invoicing and credit card processing have enriched the no-cost version.

Cons: When I first started using Wave for both my office (as a trial) and my personal finances I was surprised by the inability to import data from prior periods.

• Reviewed on 27/07/2020
Owner/Design Consultant
Graphic Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 11/06/2019

"Excellent Software For A Small Business"

Comments: Excellent! It's an amazing application for running the accounting side if things for a small business. I'm not sure if this would be successful for larger businesses, but it could,
I use Wave for my Graphic Design business. I own an Etsy store, where I sell templates for business cards and marketing materials. I have an order placed through Etsy where the client provides their details to be printed on these. I enter the customer and the invoice into Wave, mark it as Paid, then order the printing and enter a bill for my vendor. I can also invoice clients through Wave (non-Etsy clients), where I created a sharp, professional-looking invoice template.

Pros: Ease of use: Wave provides the easiest and most user-friendly interface I've ever seen for a free accounting application. From entering invoices to entering bills to running reports, it's all self-explanatory.
Invoicing: Create your sharp-looking invoice template that you can send to clients to request payment. The application will track and notify of the invoice from being read to receiving payment.

Cons: Etsy Integration: The Etsy integration is a great idea and makes things even easier. However, I discovered this integration after I had been using the application for months. Since I had manually entered hundreds of invoices manually, there was no way to match those existing invoices with the existing invoices from Etsy.

• Reviewed on 11/06/2019
Designer
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2020

"I love Wave Accounting"

Comments: I was satisfied with what I was paying for it, but any more pricey I would leave.

Pros: When I was using it, it was so easy to set up. It allowed my to have a large client database. I loved the dashboard view that helped me stay on track!

Cons: I didn’t like that I couldn’t customize my invoices as much as I would have liked. Also, payroll could have been more user friendly.

• Reviewed on 06/11/2020
Managing Partner
Oil & Energy, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2019

"THE solution for small (and bigger) companies"

Comments: Wave had the solution we were looking for, it makes keeping track of our money a breeze, and its simple enough that we can keep up with it. once a week our accountant checks and balances things out, but her job got easier too.

Pros: It does what expensive software does, in an easier way, and FREE. And for a small cost, it will handle what you otherwise will pay huge someone to handle. It made accounting easier

Cons: I created a couple issues when connecting my bank account, the issues were resolved, but it needed a little bit of a trained wow to see it. It wasn't the software problem, but I wish it would have had more warnings when something didn't look right.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2019
Mark B.
Developer
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2020

"I don't know how this is free, but I love that it is :)"

Comments: Being able to send invoices, send reminders, track payments and send estimates is great. Even better is the ability to get my tax consultant in here to grab all the necessary information.

Pros: It's a super powerful accounting system that helps me manage invoicing to clients, receipts for expenses and quotations for new projects. The mobile app is great for tracking invoices, sending reminders and adding payments.

Cons: The estimate system definitely needs some work. It feels like this aspect was built by a seperate team and the UI/UX is nowhere near as polished as the invoicing system is.

• Reviewed on 07/02/2020
Jean V.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2020

"Perfect for Small Business Owners"

Comments: I can make professional invoices for my clients and take online payments from them. Payout is reasonably fast, and I can take a look at where my expenses and income are quickly. I can manage multiple businesses from one app.

Pros: I really like that I can have multiple businesses with separate accounting in Wave. New features that were recently added have sped up my job of auditing each transaction considerably. I am able to manage everything online and provide my accountant with accurate information for tax filing. My bank accounts are connected, and automatically upload the transactions for me.

Cons: I lost one of the features I really liked in the upgrade. I used to be able to take a transaction and move it to a different business account. That is no longer available, sadly. The upgrade made it more "accountant" friendly. I'm not an accountant, and preferred the old functionality, except for the speed, which was dismally slow.

• Reviewed on 12/02/2020
Miranda S.
Member / Owner Designer
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/05/2018

"Love this bookkeeping program (and it's free!)"

Comments: So far Wave is my favorite bookkeeping system for my home fashion design business, number one, because it's free and every dollar I save really counts, and two, I can use it on my ipad or my iphone anywhere and do business outside of my loft. I have yet to use the integrated Payroll as well but hoping to test that out very soon. I really appreciated the online live training sessions too. I thought that was helpful although the program is already easy to use.

Pros: It's FREE! I've been spending dollars per month with two other online bookkeeping programs and this free program does pretty much everything they do. It's simple, quick (fairly quick page load times) and offers all the reports I need. Customer support is great and they have 3 live training's every week. I'm impressed with how much they offer with virtually no costs. They also offer bank and debit/credit invoice payments right in the program with 1% and I think the usual 2.9% processing.

Cons: Sometimes pages take a while to load because it's an online program. Also, pages open up in new tabs which isn't even that bad to me, I just find myself gathering up 10+ tabs then having to close them all out. Reconciling can be tricky because it's not a conventional reconcile and I find myself going back and forth between pages looking for the mismatch culprits.

• Reviewed on 10/05/2018
Cindy B.
Video Storyteller & Strategist
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 07/08/2019

"Wave Makes Bookkeeping Easy"

Comments: I've been using Wave since the early days and absolutely love it. It's so easy to create and send professional-looking invoices, and get paid by direct deposit or credit card through a link on the invoice. I enter all my income and expenses, and can print out reports when tax season rolls around. The dashboard also displays several graphs to help me visualize how much is coming in each month, and where my money is being spent.

Pros: Wave is really user-friendly and easy to set up. Great software for keeping track of all my invoices and expenses!

Cons: There's nothing I don't like, except for the fees that are charged when a client pays an invoice through Visa or direct deposit. But Wave has to make money somehow!

• Reviewed on 07/08/2019
Human Resources, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/02/2020

"Good Product"

Comments: Easy to keep track of payments and pull up information for taxes and submitting

Pros: I used Wave to process invoices and keep track of sales to various clients. Was easy to customize invoices.

Cons: They do take a large chunk of credit card payments and also take 7 business days to release funds that are paid through the bank

• Reviewed on 04/02/2020
Brodie B.
Controller
Construction, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2020

"Gold Strike"

Comments: Phenomenal initial experience. I don’t need hand holding but if I am confused the program has excellent resources and guidance. Also, using the community is great too if I ever need.

Pros: I have used QB for over a decade and never in all that time have I understood it’s complexity. I am starting a new franchise in 2021 and discovered Wave by accident. In less than 30 minutes I had my bank account linked, transactions downloaded and chart of accounts established. The ease and clarity is tremendous. I will use their payroll and payment processing to payback the value they’ve provided in their free accounting program.

Cons: There is not an iPhone app to use presently. But the Wave receipts app is perfect instead.

• Reviewed on 07/12/2020
Kevin A.
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/02/2021

"The Best Accounting Software for Small Business"

Comments: I absolutely love this software and use it everyday I can/need to. It looks nice, runs smooth, and I trust the software.

Pros: I absolutely love that it is free and syncs to my bank account. We can sort transactions and run reports for all things accounting.

Cons: I wish they had a credit card/debit card that we could use to link our transactions a little faster. We normally have to wait a few days for transactions to come through.

• Reviewed on 10/02/2021
Joe K.
  • Reviewed on 02/04/2019

"Wave Accounting Review"

Comments: I've been using WaveApps for about 3 years now, and I have never had any reason to switch. Their invoices generate without a hitch, the financial recording works great, it easily hooks up to my bank account. Everything works as it should.

Pros: I really like waveapps. It was completely free to sign up when I started, and it allowed me to take credit card payments and other online payments super easily on my generated invoices. The recurring invoice and automatic payments make it very easy for my clients to pay me on time.

Cons: There's a bit of a learning curve in terms of making sure your invoices are scheduled how you want them to. But once you get the hang of it, it makes sense.

• Reviewed on 02/04/2019
Chris D.
Principal Engineer, Global Reliability
Consumer Goods
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2018

"Excellent accounting tool for very small businesses"

Comments: Very simple but thorough accounting tool for the needs of a small business. Linking to the business checking account for automatic download of transactions and automatic receipt image processing reduces much of the data entry work for us.

Pros: Our small business has less than 100 transactions per year, and Wave is perfect for helping us manage invoices, transactions, and receipt images. It links directly to our business checking account for updating transactions, and creates all the basic reports needed to manage the business. There are mobile apps for capturing the receipt images and managing invoices while you are on the go. Other team members can be invited to help manage the accounts. Getting started was very quick and easy with creating accounts, categories, products, and vendors.

Cons: I wish the reports had default time periods like "last year". This would be especially useful at tax time when I need to report on what happened last year. Instead, I have to constantly adjust the dates every time I run a report.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2018
Sports, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 09/01/2020

"Great Quickbooks Alternative"

Comments: I'm a relatively new user, but I like what I see. Quickbooks makes you integrate all your bank account info and complicates everything. I'm a one man show, so I don't need added expenses for accounting software, I just need a ledger to keep my expenses organized.

Pros: I love that it's free for to use the basic accounting services. I already pay my accountant to do the heavy lifting, so I just want an online platform to keep tabs on my incoming and outgoing expenses such as invoicing and expense tracking.

Cons: Since it's a free platform for the basic services, there is likely going to be lots of upsell ads, and soliciting.

• Reviewed on 09/01/2020
Will L.
Founder & CEO
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 07/10/2014

"Do yourself a favor, ignore the bad feedback on here."

Comments: Our cloud-based CPA firm has been with Wave since the beginning. We have hundreds of clients using Wave. Wave is absolutely EXCELLENT for small business owners and entrepreneurs. What a great platform to start and grow on as a business owner. Wave is also extremely accountant and CPA friendly; I would know, I am one. Shady accountants and consultants leaving bad reviews are doing so because they want you, the aspiring entrepreneur of the next generation, to roll into expensive software alternatives that the same accountant/consultant can up-charge on at the expense of the business owner; what a shame, I thought the world was a better place. There are some concerns about Cash vs. Accrual: Wave works strictly on the accrual basis of accounting which is THE best way to operate your business. Ask any true Accountant, cash basis is the quick and dirty way out. Accrual basis is THE best way to receive wonderful business intelligence from. Your are limited with Cash Basis reporting. Once again, I would know I'm a financial statement auditor for multi-billion dollar businesses. If you need a cash basis financials for tax reasons, well your Tax Accountant, if knowledgeable and half-way decent, can easily convert cash basis to accrual basis financials with a couple steps. Done! Let Wave do it's part, let your Pro do their part, and you can focus on growing an amazing business. So do yourself a favor, ignore the bad feedback on here, setup a Wave account for free, connect with a WavePro for free and start shaping the future.

Pros: billing integration with Stripe merchant, recurring Invoice with automated payments, simple financial reports, easy categorization of bulk transactions, responsive customer support, payroll integration, very user friendly dashboard

Cons: no cost accounting modules, income statements by revenue streams.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 07/10/2014
Michael S.
Co-Founder
Media Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/09/2018

"Accounting for small businesses made easy"

Pros: Wave has really helped my small business in tracking expenses, invoices, quotes and transactions. Before, we had a Google spreadsheet where we tried to remember to put our hours in, calculate costs to send to clients, and just emailed them a PDF version of the spreadsheet and a PayPal invoice so they could pay us. Now, we can do all of that through Wave's FREE version! It's much easier (and much more professional looking) to send an email through Wave where we can process credit cards or they have an option to mail us a check. It's been great!

Cons: Wave has been adding app features for awhile, but I still haven't seen (at least on Android) an all inclusive Wave app as of yet. I have a Receipts app and an Invoice app, but sometimes I like to check my account and my transactions while on the go and while I can go to the website on my phone, it isn't the best experience.

• Reviewed on 28/09/2018
Chris D.
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2019

"Great, free accounting software"

Comments: Wave is an invaluable tool for my small business. I recommend it for small businesses who need transaction coding and invoice-making abilities.

Pros: That Wave is free is fantastic for a small business. Other accounting software can be extremely expensive, so getting most of those features for free is fantastic.

Cons: I had very few complaints until Wave announced that bank integrations outside the US will no longer work from 2020. This means that transactions will need to be manually added, which will be much more time-consuming.

• Reviewed on 04/12/2019
Jeffrey B.
Civic & Social Organization, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/06/2018

"An awesome mapping application"

Comments: I use Wave frequently to navigate both in town and for longer trips. It has saved me from major traffic delays many times. If your time is valuable and you spend time on the road, Waze is worth a try.

Pros: For a free product it is awesome. It adjusts your route based on changes to traffic. It also allows users to share information such as potholes, road conditions, speed traps, etc. This is a Google product and is continually improving.

Cons: It will sometimes route you in odd paths to save a minute or two. Wish it had better voice controls / AI like Google Assistant.

• Reviewed on 27/06/2018