QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise Reviews

• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.3 /5
    4.1 /5

About QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

The leading accounting software for small businesses. Instant access to customer, vendor and employee information.

Learn more about QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Showing 17,000 reviews

Blake B.
Ecommerce & Consumer Products Manager
Mining & Metals, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/11/2019

"Value for the money is incredible"

Comments: Great, would recommend! Any sort of business needs accounting software, and your business should use Quickbooks. If given the choice, we would use this again.

Pros: The seamless integrations, technical (both IT & Accounting) support, and intuitive user interface provides a great experience for automating a small or midsize operation

Cons: It loads slowly -- I feel like Quickbooks constrains the amount of servers it dedicates to this platform. There are businesses that have far more transactions that we, and it still takes a while for reports or pages to render.

• Reviewed on 23/11/2019
Assistant to The Directors Operations
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/08/2020

"Backoffice and Front officework at ease"

Comments: I am very happy to use this package for payroll mangement. Earlier I had to use multiple excel sheets for each functions.

Pros: I worked on payroll management package of Quickbooks. I saved so much time in tracking expense and accounts receivable data at the same time removing human errors in payroll processing. It has very easy to understand features for state wise payroll processing based on very flexible job conditions.
It tax payment system is reliable and you can have peace on these legal matters.

Cons: too many customizations lead to duplicate effort.

by Intuit on 03/09/2020

Hey there!
We're delighted to read that QuickBooks was able to save you so much time. Providing you the best tools and backing you is our goal. We recommend visiting our blog to keep up to date with what's new in QuickBooks: (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/). You can also visit our community page for tips with QuickBooks, answers to commonly asked questions and more: (community.intuit.com).
Wishing you continued success.
-Jay, The QuickBooks Team.

• Reviewed on 30/08/2020
Erik S.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2018

"QuickBooks Enterprise - not really suitable for multi-location businesses"

Comments: QuickBooks Enterprise at first glance seemed like a good fit for my 5-location business. The feature set is rich, is a widely accepted accounting package and came with a nice support package. The fundamental features of the software are quite impressive and met the core needs of my business with range from retail sales to large projects. To handle the multiple locations, there is a "class" (location) construct that allows you to use a single chart of accounts and use class to designate where things apply. For standard income/expense accounts this works well and I can track sales and expenses easily. Where the implementation fall very short is with asset/liability accounts. For example, if you have 100 widgets in class A and 0 in class B (store A and store B) and you transfer 50 widgets to class B, the count of widgets is done correctly, but the inventory value of the transferred widgets still remains in the first class. It's made a mess of my inventory values and we've had to resort to processing manual GL entries anytime we transfer items from store to store. The same holds true with banking - the class structure is only partially implemented. There are work-arounds, but they're slow and cumbersome. Reporting is another soft spot. There are plenty of pre-made reports that are decent and you can build custom reports. The issue is that custom reports are very unstable and more often than not, you'll find that reports lock up (or frozen as you'll read everywhere). This makes them pretty much worthless unless you enjoy creating a new custom report every time you want to use one. Customer support is very energetic, but it's mainly people who have never used accounting software outside a PowerPoint driven training scenario. The usual answer is to either use Google or look on the Intuit community forums. Fairly disappointing. We've managed to figure most things out, but it's taken far longer than if we had access to people with real-world experience. There are a couple of great YouTube users (Hector) who were very helpful with their videos.

Pros: Simple interface
Widely used by the industry
30 user capability
Mid-rage price tag on a subscription basis

Cons: The class implementation is only partially implemented and causes great pain when using this to run multiple locations
The performance is marginal
Required a lot of extra plug-ins to accomplish things
Custom reports are reasonably flexible, but are very, very unstable and aren't very usable.
Customer support is lackluster with the common answer being, "have you looked on Google?"
Credit card processing through Intuit is not competitively priced

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2018
William A.
High-Performance Business & Financial Coach
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/07/2020

"Fast, Simple to use, Easy to Integrate, Support is light, and price is a touch higher than others"

Comments: Overall, I have no intention of leaving QuickBooks.

Pros: QuickBooks is easy to import into, export out of and directly integrate with certain platforms. The software was built with the user experience in mind.

Cons: The price is a bit higher than the competition, so technically its a con. However, I don't consider this a negative because sometimes you get what you pay for and I found QBO to have better features and a better reputation as a whole. The support is not as easy to work with as I would like. But compared to some of the competiton, its better than not having any.

by Intuit on 06/08/2020

Hey, William. Thanks for being such a loyal member of the QuickBooks family. We appreciate all the kind words you have to say about our product. Aside from phone and chat support, you can also go to the Community for assistance (https://community.intuit.com/). Once there, you can communicate with other users as well as our experts. All the best in your business endeavors.
Caitlyn, The QuickBooks Team

Andre C.
Accountant
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2020

"Perfect for Small to Medium Business"

Comments: As an accounting firm we use Quickbooks on a daily basis. We operate in a cloud environment which does pose a challenge as accountant runs on a Mac with Parallels. We are able to work around this issue. We find that the audit trail is great as well as the adjusting journal entries. The footprint (memory useage) of Quickbooks Desktop is not the smallest it is not the largest and does immediately adjust when windows are closed.

Pros: Ability to have more than one company open at a time. Ability to search on almost every possible field. Fast report generation. Ability to update reports either automatically or by clicking update. Good user and password management. Audit trail awesome.

Cons: No Quickbooks Desktop for Mac, Ability to run with files on server without Quickbooks server installed. More indepth file rebuild options. Ability to integrate without third party to website. Window management can result in inexperianced users having multiple windows open causing effect on performance.

• Reviewed on 09/10/2020
Sarah M.
Business Manager
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/10/2020

"QuickBooks Pro Review"

Comments: I have been using QuickBooks since the 1990s. I love the product better than any other software that I have used as an accountant.

Pros: Memorized Transactions that you control. The ability to do some invoices as memorized transactions, as well as JE's and other monthly duties, and the unique ability to do batch invoicing. I could do 100 customer invoices at one time, this was a time saver. Bank reconciliation was very easy even if one of my staff made an error and it was discovered months later, it can still be fixed after the recon was completed.

Cons: Not being cloud-based. Also, could not upload into my customers portal for them to see the account balances.

• Reviewed on 12/10/2020
Heather T.
Chief Financial Officer
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2020

"Easy To Use"

Comments: I love the functionality and the ability to do actual accounting.

Pros: This software is a true "Accounting software" you can't get easily lost if you have great knowledge in accounting. If you don't understand the function, QuickBooks has a directory of proadvisor that can help you set-up and direct.

Cons: You can't delete if you input a vendor, customer or service

by Intuit on 06/08/2020

We're happy to hear that QuickBooks has served you and your accounting needs. While we realize being able to delete vendors, customers, and inventory would be helpful; the inactive function allows the info to be placed in a separate list while still being available to be viewed if needed. We hope this helps! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

• Reviewed on 24/07/2020
Henry E.
  • Reviewed on 19/09/2020

"Keeps track of the books online"

Comments: My bookkeeper recommended it and my CPA likes it as well - it does the job.

Pros: The fact that it is online! We had QB installed on a server which was hacked and held for ransom by a hacker in India. Beyond frustrating. Moved online and haven't looked back since.

Cons: Doesn't have all of the functionality of the server-side software but it's close enough and the xtra security is well worth losing any minor features.

• Reviewed on 19/09/2020
Haley B.
Senior IT Technician
  • Reviewed on 10/07/2020

"QuickBooks has gotten much better"

Pros: Ease of use and teachability. It's pretty user friendly and we don't spend much time teaching new staff. Great for basic AP/AR- a great option for small to medium businesses.

Cons: Switching tasks will cause pages to load very slowly. It may be server related. Seemed to get worse with the newest update (2020) so hopefully this improves with future updates.

• Reviewed on 10/07/2020
Brooke B.
Founder/Developer
Design, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 11/07/2020

"I don’t love it"

Comments: I initially thought I would be able to estimate my quarterly taxes when I signed up for quickbooks. It was not available for the business plan I chose and only for the self employed plan.

Pros: Quickbooks has been around for a long time so it’s trusted and has a lot of helpful apps for your phone.

Cons: I think it’s little pricey especially for small businesses. It’s not super easy to use. I was not able to estimate my quarterly taxes as I hoped. I decided to go with another software long term.

• Reviewed on 11/07/2020
David T.
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 01/10/2020

"Small business person's perspective of QB Pro 2019 and prior"

Comments: Overall, fairly positive. Bit stressful if don't understand newly added form questions or when upgrading to a newer release

Pros: Being able to quickly design a reusable invoice template, quickly setup new customer profiles and get invoices printed to PDF and emailed out using a laptop computer was enormously helpful, especially during business travel times before Covid-19 struck. The e-Filing feature (form 941,etc) also eliminated having to make post office trips. The biggest benefit was that the accounting firm I work highly preferred using QB backup files to transmit company info, so they could immediately get to work on tax forms for me.

Cons: There are occasions when:
(1) On screen forms change, which require the user to "know" what is meant by a vague phrase (that a non-accountant would be confused by). Making some of the text into a hyperlink to popup a clarification would be helpful and easy to implement, without cluttering the screen with detail that others don't care to see.
(2) Sometimes, I have already filled out a quarterly IRS 941 reconciliation form. Then while in the middle of e-Filing it, QBooks suddenly tells me it cannot proceed because I should have downloaded new forms updates. If it had instead proactively checked during my filling out the form to start with (because I spent 15min filling it out), that would have made more sense than waiting until I was finished and sending it out.
(3) Each time the software becomes obsoleted in 3 yrs, it just locks up. I usually get an email a few months before offering a discount to upgrade...but not actually advising a date when the software will lock and become inactive. Adding a deadline to the email would be appreciated. Each time our QB checks for updates on the Intuit server, that is an opportunity to capture our release# and base your mass emailings on a data extract which includes the end of life date for that release#.
(4) When upgrading to newer versions, there is no way to selectively exclude outdated vendors + trxns.

• Reviewed on 01/10/2020
Shannon A.
Law Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/09/2020

"Highly Recommend Quick Books"

Comments: The biggest benefit for our business is the "Insights" tab, which works on Accrual Basis Accounting. It provides our net income at a quick glance within a certain time period of our choosing along with charts showing our expenses, income, and net income It also gives previous year income comparison, top customers by sales, business growth, and net profit margin by using charts to make it easier to comprehend the data. The "insights" tab is also flexible on any date range that is chosen by the user.

Pros: Overall, I'm very happy with Quick Books and would recommend to any business owner. I really like the memorized transaction list, where I can just automatically have recurring payments deducted from my system rather its monthly, quarterly, or yearly. It can also be set up as a reminder when certain bills are due for payment.
It's very easy to load, keep track of your vendors and your customers as well as your own company data such as chart of accounts, and items or services that your company provides. The report center is very user friendly with reports already available by just adding a date range, and it also offers the user to create their own costume reports.

Cons: I do wish refunding clients with credit balances was a little easier. The system does work, but you need to have an invoice generated with charges before completing a credit memo to send a refund check. Our type of business is a lot of prepaid work, and sometimes the cost comes under, and I just want to refund without creating an invoice. Perhaps there is a simpler way, and I just need to learn how it is done.

by Intuit on 19/09/2020

Thank you for sharing these details with us, Shannon. This feedback will help make the wanted changes become a reality. The details on how to easily refund your customers in QuickBooks Online can be found here: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/accounts-receivable/record-a-customer-refund/00/186177. Wishing you a successful business year! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

• Reviewed on 14/09/2020
Miguel F.
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2019

"Tried & True - Quickbooks remains king!"

Comments: The ability to track me financials allows me to identify my business's cash flow which is crucial to keeping my doors open. Automatic bank feeds are cutting down the time I need to spend doing manual data entry and gives me more time to focus on my main mission of my company.

Pros: The ease of use allows just about anyone to successfully navigate and work in the software. No matter if you have an accounting or financial background. This is great news for business owners and accounting personnel, alike. With the ease of use, the training resources provide by Inuit, and their extensive list of available Pro-Advisers, you will be up and running and tracking your business's finances in no time. One other aspect I like is the ability customize the software to git your industry or company's needs. Custom reports, customized chart of accounts, etc are just a few examples how QB sets the standard for small/medium size business accounting softwares.

Cons: The least favorable aspect of Quickbooks is the inability to prevent old transactions from back-posting into a closed period. For example, if I void a check or an invoice, I would like to be able to set an effective date of today and not the original date of the source document. Allowing this to happens, will throw off bank reconciliations, it would and could change past period financial statement information and could impact your tax liability as well.

by Intuit on 15/05/2019

Thank you for bring this to my attention, Miguel.

You can close your books for a period of time so that transactions aren't allowed to be posted before that time period.Here are the articles for the respective programs:

Online: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/Reports-and-accounting/How-do-I-close-the-prior-years-books-to-send-to-the-accountant/td-p/182283

Desktop:

If you ever have any questions about this, please reach out to us on Facebook (Intuit QuickBooks) or Twitter (@QBCares).

Grant, The QuickBooks Team

• Reviewed on 14/05/2019
Connie E.
Business Owner
  • Reviewed on 25/08/2020

"Quickbooks - QBO for your Business"

Comments: It is much easier to maintain you financial bookkeeping with Quickbooks. With the download transactions, memorization and bank connectivity, it is a great business tool. Being able to see your entire financial picture in one place is great. Having a professional able to help any time is great. This is a great business tool.

Pros: I really like QBO - which is a cloud based software. While there are several out there, Intuit has been doing it since 2005. The ease of access anywhere is a life saver. You are never far away from your financial picture. Designed for ease of use, having an accountant be able to help manage your business is just more manageable.

Cons: The good and the bad - now QBO has divided up into "industries" with features available only in certain industries. Inventory needs to continue to improve. The cost has increased over the last few years. However if you know a Pro Advisor you can get it for wholesale pricing. Some of the reports cannot be altered or customized, which can be annoying.

• Reviewed on 25/08/2020
Jacques V.
Managing Director
  • Reviewed on 26/07/2020

"Best Accounting Solution For Small Business"

Pros: The cloud solution makes it ideal for small business without needing the ICT infrastructure. Its available anywhere and with the mobile app gives you data when you need it. Plenty of integrations available. Its very cost effective.

Cons: It doesn't integrate natively with on premises deployments.

Hi Jacques,

We're thrilled to hear you're enjoying using QuickBooks for your accounting needs. No matter if you're in the office or out on the road, you can count on our software to back your business. We're committed to continue implementing new and improved tools to make your daily tasks easier while remaining cost effective. To hear news on what's in the works, be sure to check out our blog (https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv). Thanks for being the best part of Intuit!

Kind regards,
Jen, Intuit Support Specialist

Wyatt E.
State Director
Publishing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2020

"Accounting made easy"

Comments: I would recommend quickbooks to small to medium sized companies, as it can be a very useful tool.

Pros: Quickbooks makes it easy to look at everything you are doing financially, from sales to tax reports. It also helps me send files to my accountant, in a way I can continue working while he makes necessary corrections (usually aren't any needed)

Cons: The only thing I disliked about this software was the fact that it sometimes got the next check number wrong and I had to manually type in. Nevertheless this a small inconvenience.

Heya, Wyatt!
We'd like to thank you for taking the time and leaving us a review. We're delighted to read that QuickBooks makes the harder parts of running a business easier. Knowing that it allows you to send your files to your accountant while continuing to work brings a smile to our face. We recommend visiting our blog to keep up to date with what's new in QuickBooks: (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/blog/). If you continue to see your check number being listed incorrectly, we recommend letting our phone support team know right away. They can be reached by following this link:(https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/open-programs/contact-support/00/433872).
Wishing you continued success.
-Jay, The QuickBooks Team.

• Reviewed on 23/07/2020
Ricky T.
Manager, Operations and Finance
Pharmaceuticals, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/05/2020

"Quickbooks Online - Rock Solid Accounting Software!"

Comments: Overall it's been a positive experience. We've used Quickbooks from the very beginning and have no plans to change anytime soon!

Pros: Quickbooks is very user-friendly. When I took on the accounting duties for our company, I never had any accounting software background before using Quickbooks, but I was easily able to understand how to use it quickly. One of the best features for me is the customization of reports/templates. Once you understand how to customize reports and use recurring templates it becomes a huge time saver. In addition, since it is a popular accounting software, there is always a lot of answers available online, youtube, customer service, etc.

Cons: One thing I wished Quickbooks added is the ability to import an excel file into a bill. Our employees submit expense reports in excel and I would like a function that allows me to import it into a bill. Right now I have to manually copy and paste the information from the excel expense report into a bill. I asked someone in customer service about this and they said it wasn't an available feature yet. It would save a lot of time!!!

• Reviewed on 05/05/2020
Fazal G.
IMPA-BRI
Broadcast Media, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2020

"My Response to QuickBooks Online Advanced"

Comments: Being a proficient user of QuickBooks, my overall experience with this software is based on my daily usage and I can rate it 9/10. No doubts it makes my and our organizations' employees work more efficiently. If someone asked me to use this software, I'll definitely recommend it to them. Because of its analytics, advanced facilities and integration with 3rd parties including many other required features make it highly recommended software in the market of accounting solution software.

Pros: QuickBooks software helps from small to large businesses, companies, and enterprises to manage more efficiently their accounts through the best cloud-based software. Enterprises can easily manage their projects, invoices and other accounting solutions. This Software has a centralized dashboard, it allows users to get more insights into their business swings. This software also helped me much time to see my organizational performance by using QuickBooks Online advanced key performance indicators. Another benefit of using this software that it gives its administrators to assign the chore to the employees for example salespersons and others. Capturing easily digital receipts copies sorting out transactions, tax categories handling and other improved financial operations in this software make me and our organization toughest tasks easier those were never like this before using QuickBooks.

Cons: However, having all these wonderful pros I personally feel some cons of this software being a proficient user. Some of the features for industry types of businesses are not enough just for an example for eCommerce Barcode scanning etc. If I take it out of accounting solution there would be missing some other reports key factors. Sometimes the system crashes happen very rarely but still is a problem.

• Reviewed on 20/04/2020
Bakari C.
Web Content Developer
Writing & Editing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2020

"Great for Preparing Quarterly Taxes"

Comments: Overall, I have a good experience with Quicken Self-Emloyed because the application is easy to use and I don't have to go and manually update transactions on a daily basis. I review it about once a week, right before my quarterly taxes are due.

Pros: I've been using Quicken self-employed, which is part of QuickBooks, for about five years now. I have seen the online application improved with more useful features, and user interface. I basically use the online version of Quicken to send out invoices, and keep track of business related income and expenses. I particularly like how Quicken syncs between my desktop web browser and my mobile devices. The invoice feature is very useful because I can send with a single click reminders to my clients about invoice payments, and another click for letting them know their payment was received. Quicken also processes my financial transactions without requiring constant manual input. once Quicken knows how you want to assign particular transactions, as business or personal, it automatically makes those assignments for each new transaction. You can also use Quicken to assign tags different types of transactions, which is useful for letting you know where and how your spending your money. Quicken is very useful for giving me an estimation about my quarterly taxes, and there is also a feature for keeping track of mileage. The mileage tracking is easy to use on my iPhone. And parts of the feature are also automated if you choose to set it up that way.

Cons: Quick Self-Employed is about $4 too expensive, and it doesn't provide very good support through its online chat system.

by Intuit on 16/04/2020

We'd like to thank you for being a member of the QuickBooks family for the past 5 years. We genuinely appreciate your loyalty and are thrilled to hear that you've enjoyed using the product. Feel free to visit our Community, as it's a fantastic resource for helpful info regarding the product.(https://community.intuit.com/) Wishing you continued success! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2020
Donna A.
Office Admin.
Farming, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2020

"Very Happy with this software."

Comments: Saves us on postage since we can email our invoices. If you make a mistake there seems to always be a way to correct without any problems.

Pros: You can make so many different reports and is very easy to use. Once you learn one area of the software, the others on based on the same format.

Cons: Off hand the only feature I would suggest is in the vendor information for General Ledger Accounts, I personal would like 10 lines to disperse my bills. Payroll needs separate taxes and net, etc. As of right now you can only put in 3 lines.

by Intuit on 14/04/2020

Thank you for the review, Donna. It's comforting to know that QuickBooks offers the reporting you're looking for. We're constantly trying to improve this area of the product as we want to ensure all of the reporting methods needed are available. We've taken note of your feature suggestion and will be providing this to the product development team. Wishing you continued success and happiness with the product! -Hannah, The QuickBooks Team.

• Reviewed on 09/04/2020
Dr. joseph D.
Chiropractor
Medical Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/03/2020

"Big improvement over the desktop version"

Comments: The newer online version is two thumbs up. I had a CPA that recommended I go back to the program and very glad that I took his advice. The new streamlined format is exactly what I need for my business.

Pros: I love the fact that I can check out, update and work all my financials from my ipad, phone and computer. I used to use the older Quickbooks desktop version years ago. I dumped it because it was really hard to use. I am a Chiropractor and not a CPA. The past couple of years we have been using the online version and it is exactly what I wanted/needed for the finances and my Chiropractic office.

Cons: The only problem that I had was, setting up the original accounts and Paypal. I did not set the original accounts up correctly. My bookkeeper fixed all this and explained it to me. From there everything worked out great. Except for the PayPal app. I am happy that I do not do much business through PayPal because it is the only account that I need to spend some real time with to reconcile and make sure I do not have duplicate transactions.

• Reviewed on 17/03/2020
Larry M.
Owner/ Inspector
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 20/02/2020

"QuickBooks Pro Easy to set up and use"

Comments: I have used the software for two different small businesses. The prior company I used many of the features including Banking, Estimates, invoicing, and Payroll. My present business I no longer need the estimates and payroll. It is nice to be able to see exactly where I am cashflow wise and also comparing profit and loss with prior time periods. I also use it to keep all of my client's information in one place. It also links seamlessly with my Home Inspection Software (HomeGauge). It imports all the client info easily into the report.

Pros: It seams to be very intuitive (no pun intended) in its use. It also is easy for me to send the company file electronically to my accountant for year end Tax purposes. My accountant actually recommended quickBooks many years ago and have using it for well over 25 years, and for two different businesses during that time. It is also worth noting that I have upgraded about every two to 4 years and have not had any problems loading the company files into the newer version.

Cons: About the only thing I did not like was customer service. When I did have to call them with a particular problem, they wanted to charge me for it. Even when it was clearly a defect in their software. With a small company and not needing to use all the bells and whistles the software is capable of, I opt to not have the support included but they do have the (paid) option for those that may need frequent support.

• Reviewed on 20/02/2020
Bookkeeper
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2020

"I taught my brother over the phone!"

Comments: I would and have recommended this product to anyone starting or operating a business for its ease of use. You do not need to be an accounting major or have years of bookkeeping knowledge to figure out how to use Quickbooks. If my brother can learn to use it, so can you.

Pros: The home page is streamlined by tasks and makes it easy to move through the different modules; accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll. Many years ago I chose Quickbooks Pro desktop for my brother when he started his own company. He was using the old "file the receipt" in a box method and then once a year giving his "files" to his CPA for tax purposes. This method was okay when he was working for someone else but when he started his own business he needed to have his bookkeeping computerized and asked me for help. I chose Quickbooks Pro because I was able to teach myself and used it often enough I knew I would be able to guide him over the phone ny using the icons on the home page. Without any previous bookkeeping or computer knowledge, he can now invoice his clients, post payments and reconcile his bank statements all by himself. Even the payroll module is easy to use and navigate and with the right set up will calculate wages & taxes due. You just enter the employee hours and hit submit. You can then print paychecks or with the enhanced version use direct deposit. It helps keep you government compliant by letting you know when taxes and reports are due and lets you submit reports and pay taxes through the payroll module.

Cons: I do find the enhanced payroll through Quickbooks to be little pricey since you have to pay a yearly fee, a monthly fee and a per employee fee each payroll but it is a full-service payroll option and about as much as using an outside service. One of the features I find to be annoying is the customize report option. There are so many fields you can choose in the customize your report option that just will not populate with any information and you end up with empty columns. It would be better if only usable fields be listed in customize report instead of every available field found anywhere in Quickbooks. If you can't use them, lose them.

• Reviewed on 12/02/2020
Andrew M.
Accountant
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 11/02/2020

"Quickbooks is still the best for small business, despite its shortcomings"

Comments: Overall, Quickbooks is great for small business, particularly those that have all employees on-site. If you have employees off-site or want a third-party (accountant, for example) to have access, you may want to plan ahead of time and determine if Quickbooks is a great fit. There are third-party apps (QBOX) that can help off-site employees access it, but there are limitations. Otherwise, you need IT to help you set up servers or pay higher prices to Intuit for their customized solutions. That issue aside, Quickbooks is a great product after you get past the learning curve.

Pros: Quickbooks is universally known, compatible with many banks and third-party apps, and can be quite helpful for small businesses. You can customize reports, memorize transactions, and make use of many other time-saving features. Once you get comfortable, you can very quickly manage your accounting and see where your business stands. Also, since it is so popular, there are numerous websites that share helpful tips and tricks.

Cons: There is a steep learning curve for most users. You will not feel comfortable with it for the first few months. Since it is so popular, however, you can search for nearly any task and find several websites that explain how to perform a task. As a CPA, sometimes I just wanted to see the transaction behind the curtain and it can be difficult to see that. Also, remote access for an external accountant or off-site employees is cumbersome and can require paid assistance.

• Reviewed on 11/02/2020
Mark G.
Self Employed
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/02/2020

"Quickbooks review from a long time user."

Comments: I would rate my overall experience with QuickBooks as Very Good. It is not the most sophisticated accounting software on the market but interface and general user experience makes it a top choice when looking for non industry specific accounting software.

Pros: I have been using QuickBooks with multiple companies for over 15 years. Have found that once the learning curve has been mastered the interface is intuitive and clean to work with. Over the years many of the ancillary weaknesses or lack of added needs have been addressed. While I used to think QuickBooks wasn't evolving quickly enough with changing needs. They have improved greatly over the last 5-6 years and I feel the software has become flexible enough to handle our growing and changing needs.

Cons: I would say my main concern has been the lack of sophisticated statistical analysis that other accounting software provides. Quickbooks has been addressing these concerns over the last few years and has and is improving in these areas.

• Reviewed on 01/02/2020