• Overall

About Sage 50cloud

Complete, out-of-the-box-desktop accounting software, with secure cloud and mobile access, for small & medium sized businesses.

Learn more about Sage 50cloud

Product Rating

Product Rating

Usage

Sort by

Have you used Sage 50cloud before?

John T.
Owner in Canada
Accounting, Self Employed

Good...But A Little Expensive

3 3 years ago

Comments: I use the Canadian version of the software. I suspect it's basically the same as the American version, except for sales tax and payroll, but I would check a review of that version for any American users.

Pros:

Sage 50 is an easy-to-use piece of accounting software aimed at SMEs (small and medium-sized enterprises), and it is one of QuickBooks' major competitors. It's fairly easy to find people who are familiar with Sage 50. That's a plus for small businesses looking to find an employee or outside service provider to take care of their books. If you are looking to do the books yourself, Sage 50 is relatively easy to learn. They have thorough tutorials available to walk you through the basics. Major transactions are grouped together under tabs on the left-hand navigation panel. The various workflows--receivables, payables, inventory and services, employees and payroll, and a 'company' category--are all shown graphically. Each task within a major area is represented as a labeled icon, making it is to start a new transaction from this screen. The 'company' link is a catch-all category, including general journal entries, the chart of accounts and tools for managing your data and accounting tasks. Virtually every report that a small business could need is available in Sage 50.

Cons:

I found Sage 50 to be glitchy in the past. I have spent too many hours on hold or on a call with their tech support. I use the payroll-included version of Sage 50. I also have a support package. In all, that's not competitively priced. If it weren't for the fact that some clients have been using this software for years and are reimbursing me for the cost of the software, I would not be using it. QuickBooks is a better value.

Bonnie A.
Bookkeeper in Canada
Accounting, Self Employed

Software backup headache

2 2 years ago

Comments: Causes anxiety attacks. I have more negative things to say then I do positive. If you buy the program and upgrade and then downgrade expect to have some sleepless nights.

Pros:

The software is fairly user friendly as far as reports and posting goes.

Cons:

Every year you have to pay to upgrade to file and if you don't upgrade in the same version. YOU CANNOT open your back up files. Sage does not want to help they want your money. I have paid them thousands of dollars over the past 15 years and now I don't want to use the same expensive software but have downgraded to a affordable version for my little business. The computer I had the version that I could open my old files on crashed during a Microsoft update. Even though I have the backups I phoned sage to see how I could get the software back to open my backups and they told me I have to pay the fee to upgrade. I do use QBO online and much prefer this program and the people their are understanding.

Heidi N.
Accounting director in US
Logistics & Supply Chain, 11-50 Employees

Easy to use, nice reports; troubleshooting and updates can be a pain

4 4 years ago

Comments: I used this software for really basic accounting functions and used a separate CRM and ERP software that I just journaled information from into Sage. It was great for that and for the everyday AP, payroll and GL. Overall I really liked it and it gave me few problems. The issue was that when there was a problem, it was really time-consuming to fix and I often had to bring in outside tech support when Sage couldn't solve the problem, so it cost a lot of extra time and money a few times a year.

Pros:

I loved this program in that it seemed to be made for accountants, unlike some software that seems to be made for non-accountants. There are a lot of great reports to choose from, and each can be easily formatted to whatever file type you need. The payroll is awesome and easy to use.

Cons:

Updates can sometimes cost you functionality, which can be a real problem if you are in the middle of payroll. Payroll information is only available for the current and previous calendar years, which is tough when you are undergoing an audit or due diligence. Some reports have limited time range parameters, so if you have a fiscal year that doesn't fit into those parameters, it can be annoying to run more than one report and combine the information. Also, there was one formula in the tax functions that didn't provide the correct number for some states, you had to enter it manually, which made us provide incorrect information and pay penalties because of it. I tried to do a data transfer from one company in sage to another, and several files were corrupted and didn't make it over. At one point, I needed to have two companies open at once, and the windows did not title which company was which. I literally had to go into the the menu drop down to figure out which company was which. They looked identical, so it was a real pain.

Kenatu B.
Senior Programmer Analyst in Canada

My Best Friend

5 4 years ago

Comments: For all of us who stuck with Peach Tree from back in the day, our time has come. I simply love this application. Its my best friend. As a small business owner I can tell you the ability to have my accounts at my fingertips while I am on the go blows my mind. I am tickled pink. I have to pinch myself. I am able to see my inventory, check prices and stock and give clients discounts and assurances that I can reliably trust in real time. The subscription cost is almost nominal for the value it gives me.

Pros:

Access to my Accounts in real time on my mobile device. Easy to use and covers all that I need for a small business owner who is the the head cook and bottle washer. I can process payments and check on outstanding receivables while on the go. check stock and see sales. the reports are exactly what I need to know to make informed decisions I can communicate with my customers and suppliers with built in correspondent templates. based on the information at my finger tips I can have a better relationship with my supply chain and customers. requires very little setup.

Cons:

I am sure that I will think of one in the future but for now I am at a loss. the speed could be better when searching a large record set, buts thats on me and my resources.

Jscottu
Used the Software for: Not provided

Sage Peachtree is better...not easier

4 8 years ago

Comments: I have used both for several years. There is no question that Sage/Peachtree is not as "user-friendly" as Quickbooks...at least for the first month or two. But as you begin to actually understand accounting and your bookkeeping goes on and on you discover some very frightening things about Quickbooks. They put everything onto one, big, gigantic database-unlike almost every other accounting system in the world. That has several disadvantages but the biggest is why quickbooks has a nickname..."slowbooks". If you complain loudly enough they will recommend you "start over" after a year or two by opening a new company for the new year. Their constant ads are something you can live with. But what if you've had quickbooks for 4 or 5 years and you want to put it on another computer because your older computer blew up? Sorry. You'll have to get the latest version. At least with peachtree that is not an issue (if you saved all 3 of the registration numbers needed). My biggest complaint about quickbooks, though, is that it lets you do anything you want. That sounds good for somethings. It's not good for accounting. Peachtree makes it harder to go off track (although you can certainly mess up your peachtree books as well). Another thing I like about peachtree (for me) is that the fonts are bigger and they don't try to put everything on one page. Quickbooks has tiny font but you can certainly see lots of stuff on every page. I really dislike quickbooks reports which also have tiny fonts but that is personal preference.

Pros:

Usually lower in price. It doesn't try to hide the "debits and credits" as much as quickbooks does. In the long run that is a good thing. You will learn real accounting much quicker with peachtree than quickbooks (and you should learn it anyway).

Cons:

Peachtree is not as popular as quickbooks so there are not as many "3rd party add ons" available. If there is some particular 3rd party add on you need to use and only quickbooks has it then the decision is made for you.

Victoria E.
Bookkeeper/HR in US
Consumer Services, 2-10 Employees

Solid but somewhat limited software

4 2 years ago

Comments: not interested in continuing to use this software. Not interested in recommending it to others. I have now switched over to different software.

Pros:

Sage50 seems to be created more so for accountants or those with in-depth knowledge of accounting. I have a degree in accounting so I found it extremely easy to use. Most functions are easily located and you can choose a number of them from one screen. The software has very good reports which is an important factor to management. Sage is very similar to another popular accounting software program used by small and medium businesses, so it should be fairly easy for employers to locate employees who have used Sage.

Cons:

Tends to be glitchy. If you have an issue, it could be very time costly to get the issue resolved. Customer support and the time frame in which it is provided needs improvement. Another negative aspect is the cost as compared to its biggest competitor. Sage is more expensive.

Emily P.
Director of Finance in US
Civic & Social Organization

Great product that serves basic accounting functions

Pros:

This product is a great product for small to medium sized businesses. It allowed us to track over 20 different departments based on the way we structured our chart of accounts. Within those 20 different departments, we were also able to track 7 different expense categories (not accounts, groups of accounts). Reports look nice and are somewhat easy to build. Entering AP invoices does not require you know your debits or credits. Same goes for AR invoicing. Journal entries are simple enough to put in and the general ledger reporting is very clean.

Cons:

We were limited based on the number of items we wanted to track. In addition to account number, department, and expense category, we were hoping to track school projects, use tax, physicals expenses, location. This forced us to do a lot more reporting in excel than we would have preferred.

Chris S.
MD in UK
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Does The Job But Expensive

4 2 years ago

Comments: Overall, not too impressed. Yes it does the job, but it’s expensive and Sage keep increasing their prices year on year trying to justify uplifts on pretty useless product additions. Also the lack of ANY customer support, unless you pay for it, is pretty poor when spending so much every month.

Pros:

As it’s a leading accounting software clearly it does the job and has everything you need. The range of functions is vast.

Cons:

The software is quite difficult to use, training online is confusing, and a newbie would struggle in places.

Jason E.
IT Manager in Canada
Construction, 201-500 Employees

Very easy to use and gets the job done

4 3 years ago

Comments: Great software for small to medium size businesses.

Pros:

Very user friendly and easy to learn and navigate around. Does exactly what you would want done for a small to medium sized business. I used this software for many years in a small computer business and never had any issues with completing all our company transactions.

Cons:

From an accounting point of view for reporting and controlling multiple company departments I feel it is a little too simplistic to handle larger corporations.

Ashley T.
manager in Canada
Retail, 11-50 Employees

Easy to learn the basics

4 4 years ago

Comments: Overall the program is user friendly and I have been able to learn as I go for the most part

Pros:

Fairly simple to enter information and complete daily tasks. Banking, invoices, sales and reports are easy to find and check for errors

Cons:

I don't like how the program backs ups and overwrites, I wish that there was a simpler way to ensure if there is a critical error that you could trace it back more easily. Backing up and updating always makes me leery

Brandi O.
Inside sales manager in US
2-10 Employees

The program is somewhat user friendly but there are improvements that could me made

3 4 years ago

Comments: The product has issues crashing at times or have problems loading.

Pros:

The program has some good inventory features and setting up was fairly easy. Getting the customers in they system was fairly simple.

Cons:

Inventory and changing pricing can be frustrating. You have to take product out of inventory to change or update pricing. I wish they had a feature to where you could link a sales order to a purchase order without having to create an inventory item. I also did not like that once you put an item in stock or non-stock that you couldn't change the item.

Muhammad sajid A.
Deputy Manager Finance in Pakistan
Accounting, 11-50 Employees

Peachtree software is the best accounting software, it can be used for all kinds of accounting records

5 3 years ago

Comments: In general it is good and easy software. For a private limited company it is best accounting software to keep business record.

Pros:

Peachtree Accounting software is easy to use, user friendly, it has the many options to record business transaction.

Cons:

Main con is that you can edit the record any time which is very risky because instead of changing the record a person should post adjusting entries.

Alexa V.
Administrative Assistant in US
Construction, 2-10 Employees

Very useful and very reliable software for your business

5 4 years ago

Pros:

What I've liked the most of this software its is usefulness. For my experience, Iv'e done all accounting from accounts receivables, payables, Aged payables, checks, payroll, timecard ticketing, etc.

Cons:

The least that Iv'e liked about this product is that it would crash our computer. Sometimes we would be multitasking on the program and it would crash and not save what we were working on.

Andrew K.
Owner / Operator in Canada
Retail, 2-10 Employees

Bitterly disappointing

1 4 years ago

Comments: I have had many accountants sing praises of this program and many know it. It may well serve an accountant well. However, from the business owner point view it does nothing well. I suspect more businesses own this software than accountants. As such the focus should be for the small businesses that use it. The company is mostly concerned with selling addons or training. I might be interested if the program did anything well. Really, anything at all.

Pros:

Full service package. Inventory, POS, Accounting, and Payroll all in one package. That's it. Didn't like much.

Cons:

Does everything poorly. Menus lack consistency. Searches often missing or don't work. Inventory look up sorts invoice numbers as text. Customer look up window is different than others and does not scroll correctly. Paid stamp on invoices prints black square in stead of paid. Customer look up looks up from the start of a name not parts of a name. Reports do not report what you want. Dash board shows three months trend which is of little use. Excel exports are of a form that requires a lot of work before even filters can be applied. Location cursor in a new window is never where you would want it. Default menu selections are never convent

Human Resources Manager in US
201-500 Employees

Multi location, multi user accounting software.

5 4 years ago

Comments: We can have 3 people working on something at once from anywhere. it is must faster that our old Peachtree software but the look is the same so there was no new training needed.

Pros:

Easy to navigate and understand for someone who isn't a trained accountant. Easy to customize views for your info that you need to access most frequently.

Cons:

Can be slow at times when loading information from screen to screen. Hard to send info from one user to another without having to screen shot and e-mail.

Joe D.
Operations Manager in US

Easy to use

3 4 years ago

Comments: Ease of usage and cost

Pros:

The software is easy to navigate. Invoicing and cash receipts are very user friendly. The journal entries are easy to display.

Cons:

Reporting is minimal and not easy to customize. The customization of reports are hidden unless you drill down into each row. Hard to easily edit.

Sarah D.
Finance Director in Canada
Logistics & Supply Chain, 11-50 Employees

Good for Small Business

3 3 years ago

Pros:

This software is easy to use. It can manage inventory and general transactions. There is project management which is a nice feature.

Cons:

The reporting is very basic and there is no ability to customize records (only with text box). It is slow if there are large transactions.

Barney D.
Controller in US
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees

Sage 50 2017

5 5 years ago

Comments: I'm now controller for a Convention and Visitors Bureau and Sage 50 software is the best one I've used in my 30 years of working with business software.

Pros:

Flexibility, logical set up and great reporting features.

Cons:

Sometimes the upgrades are annoying, but aren't they all?

Sarah H.
Marketing Operations Leader in US
Financial Services, 501-1,000 Employees

CRM experience

3 5 years ago

Comments: Used platform in CRM, not easy for end user and connectivity issues. Much better to operate on a system in the cloud.

Pros:

Nothing

Cons:

Not flexible. Needed a third party vendor to help with any new customization or issue

Elena B.
Administration Manager in
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees

Sage 50 Premium Accounting Review

3 5 years ago

Pros:

1. Relatively easy to learn 2. Payroll function is simple and efficient 3. Reconciliations are simple

Cons:

1. Cannot find a way to save invoices and pay stubs directly to PDF on my computer. I have to print them out and then scan them so they can be saved as PDF, which is more time consuming. 2. Sometimes it is difficult to reverse a transaction or paycheque if you make an error. 3. Reports function is not as good as QuickBooks.

Stephen E.
Office Manager in Canada
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees

Invaluable!

5 5 years ago

Comments: Have been using this product for the past 8 years and still learning more functionality each day, therefore, becoming more and more valuable.

Kim T.
Pres in
Construction, 2-10 Employees

Great Accounting Software!

4 5 years ago

Comments: I have been on Sage 50/Peachtree for over 18 years and absolutely LOVE it. I am saddened that I have to move away from Sage 50 because it does not integrate with Service Titan, Field Edge or any other cutting edge dispatch programs in my industry.

Pros:

Easy to use, clean appearance and very thorough information. Reports are easily exported to excel and can be customized.

Cons:

The only con for me is that Sage 50 doesn't integrate with any industry related software programs I need.

Sean R.
GM in Canada
Farming, 11-50 Employees

Beware the overpriced subscription! Use something else!!

1 last year

Comments: Terrible! I haven't felt as ripped off by anything to this level in years. I'm sure it's not legal what they are doing but am not a lawyer and not interested in the hassle. This leave me and probably many people like me to have to continue to be bullied into paying outrageous subscription costs because office staff are "used' to using it

Pros:

The accounting is fairly easy to use, accountants like using it

Cons:

The subscription model they have gone to is criminal! They literally disabled functionality in the software I paid for years ago and require a subscription if you want to use it.

Muhammad rehan K.
Accountant in
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Best accounting software for small business firms.

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Peachtree is nice accounting software who provide complete fuction of accounts for small and medium business organization its very easy to use and quickly understandable functions

Cons:

Technical issues and importing the data from excel i don"t have much knowledge, but over all very nice software.

Bryan L.
President in US
Wireless, 2-10 Employees

2020 Software Is Not Stable, Customer Service Worst In Class

1 2 years ago

Comments: I know the software super well. It's very intuitive to me after 10 years. No support at all and for the price you would expect that either it would just work or that they would have support. Where does all the money go if not into the software or into support??

Pros:

I know it. Been using it for nearly 10 years. Originally used 2011. Then, recently upgraded to 2020.

Cons:

Unstable (breaks easily). Horrible customer service. To support that statement: I've been on hold for 1 hour 43 minutes and I'm still on hold. No joke. I tried the chat option (worthless, they couldn't help). Tried the call back option (missed the call because it was 2 hours 20 minutes after I called and, uh, I was in another meeting).