15 years helping Australian businesses

PDQ Deploy & Inventory Reviews

About PDQ Deploy & Inventory

tl;dr — PDQ Deploy and Inventory makes device management simple, secure, and pretty damn quick.

Learn more about PDQ Deploy & Inventory

Pros:

More support teams should follow their lead. I can't say enough good things about them.

Cons:

Hard to find a weakness with pdq inventory...so I won't list one.

PDQ Deploy & Inventory ratings

4.7
4.8
4.7
4.8

9.3/10

PDQ Deploy & Inventory has an overall rating of 4.8 out 5 stars based on 339 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used PDQ Deploy & Inventory before?

André
André
System Administrator in Brazil
Chemicals, 201–500 Employees

A easy to use and reliable solution for small and mid sized companies

Comments: When we started to use this software, we did not have a solution to inventory and deploy softwares on your computers and servers, that is a powerful tool, with a very good price that really worths the investiment. We were able to keep all our computers and softwares updated, and we have pushed some Windows build updates through PDQ Deploy, which worked very well! If you do not have a inventory/deploy solution on your environment, and cannot spend so much money with it, go with PDQ without think twice, you will not regret!

Pros:

It is easy to implement, configure and to use it, everything on this software is so intuitive, even if you not read the manual you can do more than 50% of the software functionalities. The software has a wide variety of options to deploy softwares to your computers, also, if you spend a few bucks more, you can buy the PDQ Inventory, which works very well integrated with the Deploy solution.

Cons:

The error messages on the deploys are not so clear, it difficults the troubleshooting on the first time without some research.

Joshua
System Administrator in US
Utilities, 501–1,000 Employees

Inexpensive, Hierarchecal, and Scalable

Comments: My overall experience with inventory has been very positive. Whenever I change jobs I encourage them to switch to PDQ. After its adoption, my team shares my enthusiasm.

Pros:

I like the ability to create nested groups, that can be dynamic or static. I will also enjoy the ability to use multiple compound statements, without limitation in order to drill down and find devices that meet whatever criteria I can dream up or that I've been given.

Cons:

The only problems I've really run into is the speed that you're able to scan large scale organizations with a lot of VPN users. Occasionally DNS does not update quickly enough so you wind up with an IP pointing to a different workstation. This doesn't really cause a great deal of problems, it just causes the scan to fail. It's not a huge deal because it will correct itself during the next scan typically

Perry
Systems Engineer in US
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

PDQ the IT Professional's best deployment tool

5.0 last month New

Comments: A great management tool for our organization.

Pros:

Ease of use and ability to do the tasks needed for managing devices. A huge time saver. A huge travel saver as I do not need to be on site to push programs, add printers, etc.

Cons:

It's not free. Seriously, I don't have a con that I can think of. It meets my needs,

Anthony
Anthony
IT Manager in UK
Computer Hardware, 11–50 Employees

A good choice for privacy conscious companies

Pros:

There are no agents to install on systems being inventoried and it is installed locally on your own network (even just a local desktop) which make a it quick to install and keeps all the communications and data within your local network.

Cons:

Because it is agentless there are issues when trying to inventory systems that are removed from the local network, e.g. Home workers.

Francesca
ICT Director in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Never Gets Enough of It, Very Easy to Use

Comments: It has been a smooth ride on asset tracking and management with this tool which has resulted in reduced cost of asset replacement due to loss or wear and tear. The ripple effect is inventory management which has been made easy and efficient using PDQ Deploy & Inventory.

Pros:

Despite the ease of use, it is a great tool that helped with patch management as well as real time monitoring of assets.

Cons:

Nothing to dislike, it met our expectations

Stephen
Senior Systems Administrator in US
Government Administration, 501–1,000 Employees

The one thing you got to have

Comments: Used it at previous job, and when I came discovered they had a competitor. Tried to learn the competitor's patch management and device management. It was a headache and time consuming. Got the boss to purchase PDQ and right of the bat, everyone could use it quickly and efficiently without reading a 100 page pdf on how to use it. So intuitive and easy to use. I use it daily to manage my computers and make sure everything is up to date. Boss has come to me a couple times asking for a list of XYZ, and expecting that it is a project for the rest of the day, I'm able to get that to him within the hour, sometimes in ten minutes.

Pros:

the dynamic collections you can make has been life changing. Able to create one on the fly and it continue to update and tell me if new computers have something unwanted on it, or computers that are missing important programs. I use it daily to check things. I also use it to quickly remote into computers. I have computers on the road and I have to jump in there sometimes remotely and need to be able to look at software lists quickly and a couple clicks my remote software is already connected. Or I can use pdq deploy to shoot out a program update or install something new. PDQ Deploy has all the right switches and knows exactly what to do with files to silently deploy practically anything. Testing is simple and easy and usually I have it tested and deployed within an hour. Saves me time everyday to quickly do what I need to do and have time to work on other projects. Support is also a godsend. Quick, easy, and friendly to the max!

Cons:

Not much that I do not like. The new icons are weird and there are some bugs in pdq deploy that get updates stuck and they just sit in the list forever. Usually when I have a con come up in my mind, I find out that the feature request I thought of, is already in the system some where.

Gabe
Director of IT in US
Investment Banking, 201–500 Employees

Great Product but....

Comments: Overall I love the functionality. I wouldn’t change a whole lot other than having access to systems outside of our network

Pros:

We love being able to set custom scans for things like registry values. I can quickly pull reports or scan systems for up-to-date information when I need it.

Cons:

We really need to scan systems that are outside of our network. We deploy about 80% of systems as laptops. During the last year most have been off the network or on a VPN connection for a varied amount of time. Without a client, PDQ has really struggled to meet our needs. I have expressed our struggles to your support team but I did not receive any reassurance that a client is in the works. We will continue to look for a replacement to PDQ until there is a client. I’m hopeful to find something suitable soon if PDQ can not meet the challenges of many machines outside of the network.

Dan
Applications support and administration in Canada
Retail, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Best all around remote management and monitoring tool in the industry, no contest

Comments: Mindblowing, if all software was this good there would not be any conflict in the world.

Pros:

-> Intuituve -> Extensive and detailed documentation -> Good technical support -> Low maintenance, great performance -> Fantastic UI -> Phenomenal integration with external scripting languages like powershell and batch.

Cons:

-> Hard to think of anything, this thing WORKS. Reminds me of Windows 7 when it came out, kicked ass out of the box (and kicks ass even today). We're on a 4 year old version of PDQ and even with all the missing updates, it still works very well.

Randy
Corporate Director of IT in US
Aviation & Aerospace, 1,001–5,000 Employees

PDQ Deploy and Inventory - Tools for the Admin

5.0 last month New

Comments: I am a long time user of both Deploy and Inventory. These tools are a force multiplier for an understaffed IT group. You cannot imagine the ease of pushing out hundreds of updates while drinking your coffee in the morning.

Pros:

Ease of use. This is a product that actually does what it says.

Cons:

I would like the ability to connect 2 instances of PDQ Inventory to create a baseline configuration of each machine so that I can track and report changes.

Matt
AM in US
Automotive, 501–1,000 Employees

PDQ Deploy

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

This is a great solution to deploy software and scripts remotely.

Cons:

Sometimes you will get a success message even though the task did not complete.

Dirk
System Administrator in Netherlands
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Quick overview of your installed assets and their software inventory

Comments: We maintain the latest Security patches for applications and deploy where necessary. It's important to run latest version of software.

Pros:

We can easily see all of our connected hardware in one overview, Windows version, build version etc. It's great you can update packages installed on devices and see which are outdated or got the latest version you accepted. You can use the inventory and copy the devices easily and use them in PDQ deploy.

Cons:

If devices run at home it's hardware to track them and obtain updates. Once they connect back in the office it starts to work again or you have to setup VPN which is possible too.

Steven
System Administrator II in Canada
Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

PDQ is awesome!

Comments: Everything about PDQ is amazing. Easy to use, its flexibility and continuing improvements. Really no bad things to say about it aside from keep it up and making improvements.

Pros:

PDQ is an easy to use tool to scan machines for information on each machine as well as deploying apps. We use it with our deployments to segregate different builds for machines. The ability to deploy powershell scripts, install .exe files and copy files is amazing and very easy.We also calls PDQs API to deploy different things making it a central hub for app deployment. The future will be making a service that users can just call PDQ to deploy an app to them.PDQ connect has a lot of promise, which will allow us to deploy apps that are not connected to our network. Giving us more control beyondAnother plan soon will be to use PDQ for software license counts.PDQ was also easy to setup and migrate to a new server when we wanted to increase the specs of the machine it was on.

Cons:

They are working towards it now, but the ability to deploy to machines beyond our network is amazing. Giving us information too and status updates on those machines so we can monitor them.Not a con but I do hope they continue adding to their PDQ inventory and API. A future request/project for us is to beable to use PDQ to keep an accurate license count of software. We have some long ideas but would love to use PDQ to keep tabs on everything for us rather than relying on basic data entry.

Tony
IT Analyst in US
Government Relations, 51–200 Employees

PDQ Inventory and Deploy ROCKS!

Comments: I've been using PDQ for about 5-6 years. For us, it's a life saver because until recently I have been the only IT on site. I just hired a admin and he's loving this software as well. Their support is top notch!! When I am stuck, I get a quick answer.

Pros:

I highly like all the details collected for each servers and workstations and the ability to created dynamic collections that can integrate with Deploy.

Cons:

Not that much. The only thing I can think of, ......ugh. Can't think of a thing right now :)

Robert
IT Manager in US
Government Administration, 51–200 Employees

PDQ Deploy is wonderful for Windows networks

Comments: Overall, I absolutely loved PDQ products when paired in a mostly Windows environment. My needs were simple, and PDQ worked wonderfully. You can test out both PDQ Deploy and Inventory before you buy, and I highly suggest you do so. It is one of the fastest, most lightweight products I've ever used, and I'd recommend it in almost all scenarios where Windows is your main OS.

Pros:

PDQ Deploy and Inventory are one of the absolute best if you have only Windows based end machines in your network. It is really, really fast, and well laid out. I doubt you'll have to read the manual in most cases. The resource usage of PDQ products is extremely light and not demanding.

Cons:

It's really made for mostly Windows based networks, and works best when all machines are on-prem, or connected via VPN in my experience. If you need really complex IF / THEN type deployment or patching on other OSes, you may wish to look at BigFix.

Ian
IT Support Specialist in US
Hospital & Health Care, 201–500 Employees

Keeping tabs with PDQ Inventory

Comments: I started using the free version at a former job and introduced it to my team at my current job. I asked a few times for the licensed version and eventually after i produced a potential ROI document i managed to get 2 licenses for both deploy and inventory. My colleague and i get so much more accomplished leaving time for the more physical side of our jobs.

Pros:

I love everything about this software. The tools are all there, command line, MMC Management, Reboot, remote assist and desktop wake... Dunamic grouping so i can keep abreast of what needs this or that software. What operating System, whether it is laptop, desktop or server. Registry printers etc etc, is there anything it cant do.

Cons:

None absolutely none. With this in my tool box i save myself weeks worth of work within a year. The ROI impresses the fiscal department, our turnaround of work requests jumped staggeringly according to our quality and rounding departments.

Jamie
IT DIrector in US
Government Administration, 201–500 Employees

PDQ Deply and Inventory

Comments: As stated above, this has made my monthly patching much easier and also allowed me to auto patch more apps than just Windows updates. I have also built out auto deployment packages that I use when settin gup new machines. I add them to my domain, Inventory picks them up on scan and adds them to a dynamic collection, Deploys heartbeat deployment for that collection pushes out the preconfigured list of apps/packages and generates a message on each machine when finished.

Pros:

Tried this out after some frustration with SCCM. While the MS product was getting my monthly patch Tuesday stuff covered, it felt a little complicated to manage. With PDQ deploy, it feels much easier, plus im now getting windows patches as well as patching many other apps(Chrome, edge, 7-zip, VLC, etc.) in what I feel is a much more user friendly and intuitive interface.

Cons:

Has built-in support for VNC for remote control which I don't currently use. I'll be making the switch but wish there were other options.

Rick
Desktop Support Specialist II in US
Civil Engineering, 201–500 Employees

Indispensable inventory managment

Comments: Our most typical use case for PDQI is determining what software/versions are installed on each machine so we don't need to waste time (or create confusion) in pushing updates to machines that are already current -Watching un-updated computers drop from the dynamic collections gives peace of mind and an easy metric for completion.

Pros:

The ability to create a huge variety of reports on every element of the hardware and software in our environment (at least that I've come up with a need for so far) is a priceless function on its own, but the ability build both static and dynamic collections that integrate seamlessly with PDQ Deploy makes both programs excel - Using both in tandem is like having cheat codes for hardware and software management.

Cons:

Sometimes finding the right combination of conditions to build the collections can be a little tricky, but support is ALWAYS there to help get things resolved quickly.

Cesar
Jr Systems & Network Administrator in US
Paper & Forest Products, 51–200 Employees

Great quality of life from a very powerful program

Comments: I have had a tremendously positive experience. I have more time on my hands to address more complicated tasks and bigger projects now that I don't have to perform repetitive tasks, and I can rest easy when I push a critical windows update because I will know which computers got the update and which ones only need to restart.

Pros:

We like being able to perform the same repetitive task, deploy configurations and installations, and keep consistency across our computers. We reclaimed so much time with how fast we can now do these tasks! It is straightforward to use, and there are so many ways to perform my tasks that I only need to choose the easiest way that I know to do them. The community and knowledge base articles are a treasure trove whenever I need to do something new that I don't yet know how to do.

Cons:

I think the only improvement that I would like to see is a way to know that a failure to deploy is something other than the network path was not found. If I deploy a package to multiple computers and some of them fail with an error code and some where network paths can't be found,, I need to look at each failure across multiple failed deployments to make sure that they all did not fail with an error.

Joel
Sysadmin in US
Automotive, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Must have part of large network

Comments: I've used it for a large portion of my career. Always been essential.

Pros:

The multitude of deployment options. Built in or downloadable uninstalls for almost everything. Running powershell commands on 2000 pcs couldn't be easier.

Cons:

Sometimes I wish there was a client option for the occasional DNS issues.

Luis
IT Manager in US
Food Production, 501–1,000 Employees

PDQ is a Life Saver

Comments: When you dont have Enterprise budget, PDQ will provide all of the necessary tools to make like easy for sys admins.

Pros:

We are able to scan and patch workstations and servers from a single pane.

Cons:

It would be nice if this application could also have the ability to be used locally through a web browser.

Colin
Senior Technician in US
Government Administration, 201–500 Employees

PDQ Deploy is a Stellar Product

Comments: I echo my previous comment, i.e. this has been such a time-saver when ensuring we keep our endpoints current, and it makes it a lot easier to manage 100s of endpoints with literally the click of a button.

Pros:

This has saved us so much effort in maintaining the integrity of our software products on our domain endpoints. In addition to the pre-built library, it has been a godsend to be able to create customized packages and get them deployed quickly. When we were hit with Hafnium on our Exchange server and moved to O365, I created a customized package to remove our previous suite and get out the latest O365 suite to our endpoints with about an hour's work on PDQ Deploy.

Cons:

Nothing comes to mind, to be perfectly honest.

Jim
Director of Information Security in US
Financial Services, 201–500 Employees

Great Inventory and Patching System for Network Administrators

Comments: It is a critical component in our Inventory and Security Patching process. Helps us keep systems patched so that we are less vulnerable to security threats.

Pros:

You can setup automated scheduled tasks to patch systems at any time during the week or weekends. Allows patches to automatically be pushed out afterhours to avoid any system downtime.

Cons:

It is mainly intended to only inventory and patch Windows products. It would be great to have more integration where it could go out and inventory printers and linux type devices.

Bart
IT Manager in Netherlands
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Deployment with ease.

Comments: It makes updating so much less time consuming and gives a proper overview about the installation states. Also using the integration with PDQ Inventory keeping software up to date that was installed later on manually on some machines also works. So if you for example installed an Adobe Reader manually that still can be updated by the software once it identified it. Update scheduling works like a charm.

Pros:

Finally a product that does what it's supposed to do. And it's actually good at what it's doing. It is highly flexible. So if you just want to copy some files that works with this product as well as installations that do checks on dependencies. It has an own repository where already configured application installations exist. It can have schedules, it can deploy to one or more machines. You can group installations. It integrates nicely with PDQ inventory. What else to say than this is just great software for a reasonable price. It does what it is intended for and more.

Cons:

I think there are no real cons worth mentioning. Just try and buy this software you will not regret.

Darren
Systems Administrator in US
Legal Services, 51–200 Employees

Time & Sanity Saver!

Comments: From day one this software has been rock solid in all of the applications we use it for. We had a critical piece of software we needed installed immediately and I was able to setup a schedule to attempt to install the software every 30 minutes across my entire network, multiple locations throughout the state. This helped ensure that every machine received the software as we sometimes have trouble getting GPO installs to work in every office. Since then I have relied of PDQ for all of my install and updates. I've even started creating my images with the bare minimum of software and just use PDQ deploy for the last mile.

Pros:

PDQ is incredibly simple to setup and use. It has streamlines rolling out new software and updates, I often use it over GPOs because I know it works 100% of the time.

Cons:

I haven't found anything I do not like about PDQ deploy. It fills the role I had intended to use it for perfectly.

Jean
IT Staff in Canada
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

What would I do without this bundle (Inventory + Deploy)

Comments: After 5 years of using this bundle, I still feel I haven't use all of the options offer to me but it's doing what I want so everything is fine. And if I bug down, theirs supports is EXCELLENT, fast and to the point. Never, have I wait more than a day for a reply (try this with Microsoft).

Pros:

Inventory: Knowking the state of our computers is a must. Lot of our users needs to deploy to remote places (to put out forest fire), it's imperative that theirs computers are ready to go. Using inventory and Deploy help me meet my goal.

Cons:

Deploy: having to built new package is times consuming BUT they have good tutorials to help.