Filter by:

• Overall

About QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Accounting tool that provides multi-monitor support and past due stamps through improved cash flow.

Learn more about QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Showing 1,316 reviews

Gary D.
Finance Offier in US
Wine & Spirits, 2-10 Employees

Good, but...

4 7 months ago

Comments: I have used QuickBooks for two decades and for eight years in my current position. It fully meets our needs for day to day accounting, preparing reports for our Board and for processing payroll. However, their support is very poor and reaching a human being is incredibly frustrating.

Pros:

QuickBooks Desktop is a powerful accounting package that offers good value for the cost. It has a lot of features that can address most of the needs of a small business.

Cons:

QuickBooks will let an inexperienced user do just about anything they want which can result in a real mess if you're an accountant trying the prepare financial statements or tax returns. But with some training from an experienced accountant/user, a lot of the day to day accounting can be accomplished by a relatively inexperienced person. Some supervision is advised.

Annette M.
Executive Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

QuickBooks for the Small Nonprofit Organization

5 last year

Comments: The program itself is excellent as seen from its popularity. My greatest need has been customer service technical support. I have been using QuickBooks for more than 20 years. Over this time I have been very happy with the improvement of their support. Depending on the level program chosen, there are varying degrees of support. I think this is the most important part of a program as complex as this. I am also very happy with the way payroll handles all the procedures automatically and that they build in the new legislation and regulations from all the states so the user is sure about what they are doing.

Pros:

QuickBooks has a sufficiently wide variety of products/service agreements to satisfy the needs of small nonprofits. I find that the service has improved greatly over the years. The customer service people are extremely able to solve problems or explain processes. Also, since the user can choose between accrual and cash based accounting, small organizations can choose the system the best satisfies their particular circumstances. The payroll package is separate, so the customer can choose whether or not to do their own payroll or have someone else do it. The payment of payroll taxes is well supported and easy to use.

Cons:

Because this software is so professional, there can be a steep learning curve for those without accounting or bookkeeping experience. It would be advisable for the new user to become familiar with entry level bookkeeping at least. QuickBooks also recommends that new users locate a current user to serve as a mentor. There are specially trained users who serve this role.

Jillian C.
Office Manager in US
Accounting, 11-50 Employees

Quickbooks Desktop Pro makes bookkeeping a cinch!

5 2 years ago

Comments: I am winning at bookkeeping using Quickbooks Desktop Pro, what more can I say?

Pros:

Quickbooks Desktop Pro allows me to be a great bookkeeper! Isn't that worth it's monetary investment right there!? I am able to input bills/pay bills, deposits, bank reconciliations and run reports all in the same platform. I even order our checks through the software and it reminds me when we are getting low. Also, I love that I can set reminders for monthly tasks and bills that need to be taken care of without worrying about forgetting. It's tracking it all for me and I just take care of it when the reminder pops up. Now I don't have the bank account connected and that is a personal preference but it is an available feature and it has it's benefits. You can also complete invoicing and payroll through Quickbooks desktop but we already had other means to complete those tasks. I can't recommend it enough, you won't regret the investment.

Cons:

The only con I have about Quickbooks Desktop Pro is that going from the online version and converting to desktop is not clean. I've yet to get an import that wasn't missing something. I hope this is something Intuit will improve on in the future. But if you don't have to go back and forth then it's not an issue. I only have one client that this a bother for, other than that I keep everything on the desktop version.

Zandi C.
President in
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Quickbooks....I Use It To Run My Company.

4 5 years ago

Comments: Overall the best small business accounting software I have found. I would recommend it over all other products. I have used it for the past seven years and I do not hesitate to dump software that does not perform. I own and operate a smallish construction company and will likely someday need to step up to one of the big boy software packages, but until then, it serves me well.
You can get this accounting software to do just about anything you need it to with enough time and know how.

Pros:

The software is stable with very few glitches and crashes. I have never lost any significant amount of data in 7 years. It produces reports and printed materials that are widely accepted and you can get checks and other forms compatible with ease. It networks well and with a fair amount of simplicity even with several users. The Contractor Premier does a decent job of job costing if you set it up properly. You can customize all reports, invoices, statement, etc. to meet your needs and promote the branding of your company. Payroll add on service is excellent and has kept us dead on with all payroll related responsibilities.

Cons:

You get out what you put in. As with all software, you must know what you are doing to operate it successfully. I am very computer savvy and have a lot of experience with the proficient use of multiple advanced software programs so I thought I could just open a file and get going. Nope. Quickbooks does not work well out of the box, you will need to invest some time in getting it set up for you and your business. The cost of upgrades is unavoidable so be ready. You will need to upgrade every year to get the software support from Intuit and every time you add a seat on your license. There is no way around it that works and I have tried. There are a million secondary dealers of quickbooks, so called quickbook professionals and they have been certified by Quickbooks to use their branding and resell the software program and related support services which make purchase and support confusing and sometimes dangerous.

Tracy M.
Controller in US
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees

Quickbooks is the way to go!

5 3 years ago

Comments: I manage multiple companies and all of them but one use the online version. For the one that does not pay for the monthly subscription, I use QB Desktop Pro. I love having the option and would recommend it to anyone starting out in a small business or tight on expenses. I would also recommend the desktop version if you do not have a lot of transactions going on. It is a great value overall.

Pros:

Quickbooks is user friendly and the easiest way to maintain your books for yourself, your clients, and your accountant.

Cons:

It is slowly becoming antiquated with technology. If you can afford to do Quickbooks online; that is the way to go.

3 years ago

I'm delighted QuickBooks is delivering the feature-set you and your clients deserve, Tracy. They're lucky to have you, and we're proud to be backing you guys. With this said, we strive to deliver the most state-of-the-art software on the market, regardless of what versions you're using. For this reason, could you let me know what parts of the Pro software seem antiquated with technology ([email protected])? That's my inbox, and I'd love to forward your comments to the developers directly. We roll out a new Desktop generation every single year (https://community.intuit.com/articles/1749284), and your suggestions are appreciated. We use your comments as inspiration for what's to come next, so thanks in advance for sharing the specifics. Should you have any questions in the meantime, I encourage you to reach out to the product experts in our Community forum. This multi-function space hosts the article above, so post a question anytime! Jess, The QuickBooks Team

Minh L.
Controller in US
Philanthropy

Accounting made easy with Quickbooks Pro

5 6 years ago

Pros:

QuickBooks Online Plus is highly recommended as the best online accounting software for small business. Quickbooks Pro increase accuracy of accounting information, doing tax return with ease and grow your business. QuickBooks Online is very easy to start. With more than 150 third-party developers, QuickBooks can help small businesses improve in customer relationship management, time tracking, payroll payment, tax forms, e-commerce, email marketing and more apps are developing.

Cons:

I like the ability of customizing some features from Quickbooks, however, more improvements are needed: - If I can import data from excel into the budget and actual report, it will be better. More customizable features for the budget and actual report. - The integration transactions from bank into Quickbooks are very useful, however it needs to be improved. It not really matches with customized chart of accounts.

Nabeelah P.
Accountant in South Africa
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

You do not have to be a bookkeeper to use this efficient and functional QuickBooks app

5 3 years ago

Pros:

I am an accountant and have signed all my clients up on QuickBooks. In the world of accounting and bookkeeping software quickbooks really stands out, why? Its affordable Its really easy to use. The iphone/android app connects to the camera on your phone. Which means you can take a photograph of your invoices, its crops it automatically and saves it on the cloud. Super simple and no more filing coffee-stained invoices. That way you can easily submit the digital image to SARS/IRS in case of a query. You can set tax perimeters (e.g. if your client is a non-profit you can set to VAT n/a) Its super simple to setup with your client's bank account. Which syncs card purchases in real time. You can match corresponding invoices to payments. No more stressing about debit or credit. Easy search and filter functions. To find payments by amounts/ suppliers/ dates etc. You can easily go back and fix a typo or error when you don't balance. You can easily add notes and comments and images, in case your colleague is also accessing the app. This app frees up time usually wasted on administrative tasks and allows me to do the real analytical work, of forecasting and budget etc , required of an accountant.

Cons:

I hope my clients don't see this review, as they will wonder why on earth they pay me such an expensive retainer. Because actually QuickBooks is so easy that bookkeepers may go out of business.

Shawn B.
IT Solutions Architect in US

Default Accounting Software for 90% of SMB

5 5 months ago

Comments: I have been using Quickbooks Desktop Pro for over 10 years and I can truly say that it is one of the most stable products and we've purchased newer/updated versions every 2 -3 years without any regrets.

Pros:

Fairly inexpensive; so a great value for the money. Ease of use. Intuitive interface. (No pun intended with the company name, Intuit). Large user base. Almost all CPAs we work with have a deep familiarity with this product. Easy support available online and in many forums.

Cons:

Not really a 'Con' per se; but I feel that the 3-User license should not cost as much and Intuit should only charge it as a 2-user License, because at any given point in time only 2 users are working on it in most Small Businesses. The ONLY other thing I can say is that Intuit should 'give' ONE Free Incident/year to all customers who are using a valid copy of QB. As a small business owner, I feel that it would be a Huge win for them and create even more client stickability.

David H.
President in US
Building Materials, 2-10 Employees

Small business standard - but expiration is frustrating

5 3 years ago

Comments: Get your small business up and running in an extremely short time, and then run it until you have substantial growth without needing to switch software. Your accountant may ask you to use the online version but that is more costly (since you are paying monthly and you pay online for each company) and has fewer features. I run three companies on the single desktop license and that complies with their licensing. Because QuickBooks is ubiquitous, you can find any accountant to teach you some aspect you have trouble with, or perhaps just a friend who has used it before. It is not hard. On craigslist, you can find any bookkeeper and he will probably be familiar with the software and be able to coach you. I do not use QuickBooks Payroll Services (an extra charge) because I use a payroll service instead, which is less expensive. Most banks have a simple download function for importing transactions into your quickbooks accounts. This will work very easily for years. However, after a few years, you will find that you can no longer download transactions from your bank accounts directly into quickbooks. This will force you to upgrade your software if you intend to keep using this feature.

Pros:

I have used it for 15 years and it handles nearly all of my needs

Cons:

No inventory management for multiple locations Keeps expiring after a few years, requiring repurchase

Lori S.
Bookkeeper in US
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees

Most User-Friendly Accounting Program There Is!

5 2 years ago

Comments: It's always been good - I've used Intuit products since Quicken was a dot command program, then a Windows version, then QuickBooks and QuickBooks Pro.

Pros:

Everything! From installation to everyday usage, this program is my all-time favorite for small businesses! Easy to learn, easy to setup and use and customer service is there if you need them!

Cons:

It's hard to pinpoint something I liked least - it's just such an easy program to understand. If I have to pick something I guess I would say that I hate having to upgrade every couple of years. I would like automatic updates when there's a new version.

2 years ago

Hi there, Lori. Thanks so much for a great review! We love knowing how helpful QuickBooks has been to you and your business.You can continue to count on us for all of your bookkeeping needs. To find out what's going on behind the scenes regarding changes and updates to the software, we invite you to check out our Blog: https://intuit.me/2L2zqTv Wishing you continued success! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Sherri H.
Business Manager in Canada
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

Long time user

4 3 years ago

Comments: As charity and school using QB Pro, we have complicated bookkeeping. QB Pro handles it well.

Pros:

Very easy to use and track transaction history or account breakdown

Cons:

Would love desktop features available in an online format

3 years ago

Hi there, Sherri. I appreciate you taking time to review. I'm thrilled to read QuickBooks is providing the capability to easily track transaction history and account breakdowns. Please be assured the Product Development team is working to add the features and functionality of the Desktop version in QuickBooks Online. As time goes on, the program grows in scope. While you're here, if you haven't already, I recommend checking out our Community site. Whether you're trying to learn a new feature, or simply need an answer to a question, you're sure to find what you need among the wealth of self-help articles and customer conversations in the forums. The following link will guide you there if you'd like to explore further: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/community/US-QuickBooks-Community/ct-p/community-us I wish you continued success with QuickBooks going forward. Thank you for your longtime loyalty and for reviewing QuickBooks! Clay, The QuickBooks Team

Marcella A.
Financial Controler in US
Restaurants, 11-50 Employees

Great for small businesses, but be careful when updating

4 2 years ago

Comments: It's a great program. Just make sure when you update to get the support to map all users on all computers to the same file.

Pros:

Very easy to use for those who know accounting, or those who don't. Although, if you want to do anything very complicated at all, basic knowledge is very helpful

Cons:

Updating is a nightmare, especially when you are accessing the same file from multiple locations. Every time we've done it, we wind up using two different files until we figure it out. The customer service will fix one, thing, but then create other issues in the process.

2 years ago

Hey there, Marcella. We strive to provide the tools you need to manage every element of accounting without breaking a sweat. It's awesome knowing you've been able to do this with QuickBooks! For more info regarding updating the software, we recommend visiting the Community. Here, you can browse an assortment of articles and receive guidance from other users and QuickBooks Team members: https://community.intuit.com/ Thanks for stopping by to leave a review. Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Pasang S.
Accountant in Australia
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees

Great software

5 3 years ago

Comments: The software is great in terms of its user friendliness, online accessible by multiple users at the same time.
We are satisfied with the functionality of Intuit apart from few drawbacks.
For the companies with large number of employees, the cost will be bit higher and the cost of software will be similar to MYOB and Xero due to the payroll expenses. However, this expense can be offset against the ability to get real time report and its other features.

Pros:

The best part about this software is its user friendliness as well as being able to access the files by multiple users at the same time through online. Also, one of the great features about intuit is its audit trial. Users are able to see the audit trial of specific transaction within a second.

Cons:

There are few areas where intuit needs to improve such as invoice templates. It has improved a lot but still has not been able to meet our expectation. Customising the invoice template has been one of the drawbacks of the intuit.

Jonadab F.
Business Owner in US
Individual & Family Services, Self Employed

An easy to use accounting software

5 2 years ago

Comments: Again, QuickBooks pro is an accounting application that can help you keep track of revenue as well as expenses in a very easy format to use. No extensive training is required to use QuickBooks Self-Employed.

Pros:

QuickBooks Pro Self-Employed helps me manage my income and expenses. The application is easy to use, and there is chat support available within the app. The chat support staff I have worked with have always been able to answer my questions and address any issues I may be having. Overall, this is a fantastic product that can help your business find financial stability and sustainability.

Cons:

The estimated taxes calculation is somewhat complicated. For example, when you post a quarterly tax payment for quarter three (3), it continues to show on quarter (2). The reason being as I was told because I have to pay the total estimated taxes for quarter 2, if I have not yet reached my estimated tax calculation then it will post any subsequent payments to the previous quarter. This function can be somewhat complicated. But, when has calculating taxes ever been easy?

Rachel S.
Accounts Payable in US
Construction, 11-50 Employees

Excellent Book Keeping Software

5 2 years ago

Comments: Love this software! We have used it for 15+ years to keep our business on track financially.

Pros:

Very user friendly and easy to learn. Great reporting capabilities. Very trustworthy for taxes and government reporting.

Cons:

Any add ons are very pricey and sometimes the systems don't communicate well. Not a big fan of how it sets up mulitiple invoices for one job.

2 years ago

Hearing QuickBooks has been user friendly and easy to learn is music to our ears, Rachel! We'll continue to have your back when it comes to taxes, reporting, and many other financial aspects. If you ever need assistance with add on connection, we recommend checking out the Community. In this space, you'll find numerous detailed articles, and expert advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members (https://community.intuit.com/). Additionally, this article provides more info on creating invoices (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/sales-orders/create-an-invoice-in-quickbooks-desktop/00/186058). Thanks for a stellar review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Alena H.
Office Manager in US
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

QuickBooks Desktop Pro for small business

4 2 years ago

Comments: I would highly recommend QuickBooks Desktop Pro for any small business. It has everything you need for Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivables and Payroll.

Pros:

An enexpensive software that has a great deal to offer, for keeping track of finances. Very user friendly. Easy to use, easy to learn.

Cons:

I would prefer a field for tracking invoice numbers specifically. But you can add this in the memo.

2 years ago

Hi Alena! Our goal is to have our software be an easy and effective accounting tool for handling your books, so we're thrilled to hear you feel this way. To keep track of your invoices, we recommend entering the it in the invoice number field under the date. Whenever you need to search for an invoice, you can use the Find feature to pull it up. Here's the steps to do this: - Go to Edit on the top menu and choose Find. - Change the Transactions Type to Invoice. - Enter the invoice number you're looking for. - Click Find. We hope this information proves useful and wish you a wonderful business year! Jen, The QuickBooks Team

Monica C.
Executive Assistant in US
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees

Easy to use accounting/bookkeeping softeware

4 4 years ago

Comments: Overall, QuickBooks is a great tool. I don't know the first thing about accounting, but this software is so easy to use that it was simple to teach myself how to do it.

Pros:

We use Pro 15. QuickBooks is great for keeping track of just about everything for accounting. We have been using it for years. The one thing we really like is the amount of access you can give to another user. We have someone who only inputs our invoices. We have it blocked so that is all they can do or see.

Cons:

You can't make payment through QuickBooks, even though you are supposed to be able to do so. We were told we would have to upgrade the 17 in order to make some of our bill payments, but no matter what we tried it wouldn't work. After calling support and escalating this issue to a tier 4 resolution team, it still wouldn't work. They blamed our bank, but if you read the discussion threads it is all banks.

Ericka B.
Bookkeeper in US
Education Management, 5,001-10,000 Employees

5 Stars for Functionality & Ease of Use

4 2 years ago

Pros:

I enjoy the step by guidance and suggestions when using the templates, which are highly effective. I love that the software literally cuts my work load in half because the software does the thinking and organizing for me.I love this product and would recommend it to anyone.

Cons:

I feel like the softer really had no flaws other than it could run a bit faster between the uploading of information.

2 years ago

It makes our day when we get to read glowing testimonies like yours, Ericka. Our products are designed to increase efficiency and save time, so we're thrilled to know that QuickBooks has cut your workload in half! For tips and tricks to quickly resolve issues with the software's performance, we recommend this article: https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/manage-data/resolve-quickbooks-desktop-performance-issues-manage-your-data/00/201665 We appreciate the great review! David, The QuickBooks Team

Lee M.
Office Manager in
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 Employees

Quickbooks Enterprise 15

4 5 years ago

Comments: We are a small-medium sized manufacturing company with about 1,500 parts and services used in QuickBooks. When we opened we went with QuickBooks because of familiarity and the fact that the enterprise edition was advertised to have an advanced inventory feature. We are happy with the inventory features and they work very well. The problems we have ran in to are that we use blanket Sales Orders and we use weekly order sheets that we invoice from. There is nothing in QuickBooks between Sales Orders and Invoicing. The other issue we have is the multiple user interface. We have 5 users and we are constantly having to wait to perform an action because someone else is doing something completely different. We have contacted QuickBooks several times to resolve this issue to no avail.

Pros:

Advanced Inventory Build Assemblies Overall QuickBooks is a good product.

Cons:

Multiple user failures Lacking in features for blanket sales orders

Theresa H.
Operations in US
Wholesale, 11-50 Employees

Best resource for small business

5 last year

Comments: Quickbooks Desktop Pro has been the best for our small business - and is offline, which is definitely the best. Even with internet outages, you can still get things done. Everything is backed up automatically, so even if someone makes a mistake, you can jump back to the day before and fix it.

Pros:

We use QB for everything from inventory to payroll. It integrates seamlessly with our B2B website, and sails through from sales orders to invoices to receiving payments. It makes everything about business very effortless, and even our [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] can use it with few hiccups.

Cons:

Sometimes, as with any software, Quickbooks can have problems and terminates at the worst possible time. But even then, once you sign back in, you can talk to a customer service support team member, who will fix any underlying issues.

Katherine C.
Office manager in US
Construction, 2-10 Employees

QuickBooks pro - easy to use

5 2 years ago

Comments: Overall this is simple to use easy software which helps keeps our books on track.

Pros:

I like how its simple to use and set up. I Also like how it integrates simple with other software we use

Cons:

It does glitch out and have some problems. Sometimes it won’t even let us sign in which can be detrimental to the business. But usually a restart of the computer fixes it.

Dana I.
Treasurer in US
Religious Institutions, 2-10 Employees

The industry standard...

5 2 years ago

Pros:

This product is very deep in the functions it provides. It syncs with our online banking which is very useful. It jiggles many different functions with ease.

Cons:

Two items- difficult to sort out report settings- I do wish I had more control. Two- although it imports the iif files from PayPal, with the new upgrade it requires several extra steps. I would like it to sync with the program like the banking does.

2 years ago

The online banking option is one of our most popular features and we're glad you're a fan too, Dana! The Community is a great place to start for additional info on reporting and syncing with PayPal. Here, you'll find answers to similar questions from fellow users: https://community.intuit.com/ We appreciate you sharing this review. Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Michael H.
President in US
Printing, 2-10 Employees

Desktop Support

4 2 years ago

Comments: iT'S A GOOD PROGRAM SUPPORT IS VERY HARD TO CALL ON THE PHONE.

Pros:

After a shutdown of my main desktop pro software QB, Pro would just exit with an error

Cons:

The contact us for support is very hard to finally get in touch with QB about my Desktop for my business. Finally, after many atemps, I got a hold of support for BUSINESS.

2 years ago

Hi, Michael. Thanks for leaving your review! It's great to hear you were able to get the help you needed regarding the shutdown. We want to make sure you're able to get back to business as quickly as possible. For an alternative route to get assistance, we recommend checking out our Community. Here, you'll find many detailed articles, as well as advice from QuickBooks Team members and fellow users: https://community.intuit.com/ Cheering you to continued success! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Tony K.
Accountant in US
Retail, 11-50 Employees

If it fits, can be great.

4 3 years ago

Pros:

A good solution if the cloud is not necessary for you to operate your business. Using add on apps from different solution providers really makes it a better product. Easy to learn and use, does not take any accounting knowledge.

Cons:

Out of the box it works great for a very small business, must spend more money on apps to make it somewhat practical. Lot's of exporting to Excel is necessary to see the data in the way you want. One of the biggest drawbacks is limited to 300,000 transactions. Sounds like a lot, but it's not, even a very small business can hit that within 2-3 years, and i have seen business that had to change out mid year because they hit 300,000 in less than 10 months.

Stephanie C.
Owner in US
Retail, 2-10 Employees

It's the Industry Standard for a Reason

5 3 years ago

Comments: My overall experience with QuickBooks Pro is that while I have access to other bookkeeping and accounting programs to use both in my business and with my clients, QuickBook Pro is 99.9% the choice that I make when given the option.

Pros:

This software is easy to learn and easy to implement into service. With understandable instruction and help menus a user can quickly become familiar with the day-to-day tasks rather quickly and then learn the more advanced features as they become necessary in the operation of the business.

Cons:

About the only thing that I would say is that there are some redundancies in the operation and there are some reports and forms that could more easily be auto-filled (to my liking).