OpenShot Video Editor Reviews

by OpenShot Studios

• Overall
    4.2/5
    4.4/5

About OpenShot Video Editor

Open-source video editing solution that provides video transitions through watermarks, image overlays, title creation and more.

Learn more about OpenShot Video Editor

Abid S.
Manager Operations
Banking, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2020

"OPENSHOT IS SIMPLY THE BEST VIDEO EDITOR "

Comments: OpenShot video editor is incredibly easy to use and poweful video editing software which are helping professionals all over the world with its excellent features. OpenShot supports multiple operating systems like Mac, Linux & Windows and it is absolutely free of cost and can be downloaded easily from its website. We can save a video in any of above mentioned OS and can be open it on another. OpenShot can read and wirte most image and videos formats and with the advanced tabs users can use any FFmpeg format.

Pros: I am using OpenShot for last 2 years in editing videos and found it very simple and easy to understand. With the help of this software i can add desired sounds to any of video and also trim the videos to find perfects moments. I can easily drag and drop the videos, audios and images from file manager into OpenShot for editing. There are lots of builtin background videos in OpenShot which makes it very easy to add titles and rearrange it according to the need. Unlimited layers allowed the users to add watermark, sound track and more. You can also add 3D animations such flying text, snow and many other things to your videos to make them looks nice and beautiful. The videos can be speed up and slow down with help of OpenShot and the user interface is so simple that one can easily understand their features in first use.

Cons: OpenShot video editor has all the necessary features and have excellent user interface with all the essential buttons but i would love if they add some external plugins for 3D animations. By adding some extra plugins user can takes some more benefits from this remarkable software.

• Reviewed on 04/04/2020
Nicholas K.
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/06/2020

"OpenShot Video Editor Great Aid to Business For Creating YouTube Videos"

Comments: We got OpenShot because we were so frustrated with the cost of Camtasia. We may add that program back to our software arsenal, but for now are very happy with OpenShot.
As a company, we created a YouTube video channel and we are creating content for that channel. OpenShot is very easy to use to create those videos. Our goal is 2 per day for the first 60 days. We would do more, but we run 4 or more tracks per video and the save process for export is time-consuming.

Pros: It shows the whole functioning video creation process on one screen and has very easy access for multiple tracks. For me, this is a must. I want to see all of my tracks or at least have easy access to preview them. OpenShot has a little preview screen so you can preview what you are making as you go, frame by frame if necessary.
At first, I had my doubts about this software as a video editor because I had trouble figuring out how to do certain tasks. I quickly found YouTube video tutorials by the program creator that make it so easy. I'm still experimenting and look for video tutorials to learn to do things right when I want to try new things. My newest endeavor is exploring the many transitions offered.
The program allows us to align frames on each track to make seamless videos.
I'm sure we have not even hit the halfway point of learning other benefits we will eventually use.

Cons: Easy to set up video tracks, frames, etc, but this program takes a long time to Export videos so we can then upload them to YouTube. We actually have learned to open other windows to work with while it is exporting video. Otherwise, we cannot minimize during this process and it impedes us from other work.

• Reviewed on 03/06/2020
Sean U.
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2019

"Free Open-Source Video Editor thats pretty good"

Comments: its been nice. Trying to dive in head first without tutorials or learning any tips and tricks was difficult. It's not as intuitive as many editors are but its a free open source software so...it is what it is.

Pros: For someone who doesn't have an unending flow of cash. A free reliable video editor is a tough thing to find. Couple that with the fact that its open source, and ever improving. OpenShot is a great option for those on a strict budget. Other than the fact that its free, it does most everything you'd expect out of a video editor. Also with online tutorials, learning is easy and free as well!

Cons: obviously not as comprehensive as say Adobe Premiere. But unless you have an extra arm and a leg, that can break the bank easily. Especially with the way children these days are mesmerized by the thought of being a YouTuber, if you're a parent, OpenShot is a great alternative. Not as intuitive either...big turn off for video editing.

• Reviewed on 23/07/2019
Abdullah M.
Branch Services Manager
Banking, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/04/2020

"Excellent Video Editor For Professionals"

Comments: OpenShot Video editor is a professional video editing utility which has been admired by number of professionals all arround the world due to its remarkably easy and simple to use interface. It has all necessary tools and buttons which are required for excellent video editing experience. The main reason of OpenShot popularity is becuase it is available free of cost and can be downloaded from its official page. OpenShot video editor supports 70+ languages and can be transalated online via LaunchPad.

Pros: OpenShot video editor is very easy and simple to use software. The user can select different options like adding text, images and audio visuals to their videos to make them attractive and nice. Different available themes can be selected from the menu with single click which complete the video editing task quickly. The slow and speed up of videos can be done and further you can also trim and re-arrange the videos. There are many audio editing features by which you can adjust and split audio from your videos and adjust each audio individually. Flying text and beautiful 3D animations can be added and users can also adjust colors and brightness of videos very easily. OpenShot supports unlimited layers so we can add as many layers as we required to our videos.

Cons: According to my point of view, there should be more background animation presets in this Software. Because if we are designing the composition from scratch, often we need background effects. So if the users will able to apply more background animation options, that will be really awesome. Overall we can do almost everything related to video editing in this software.

Muddassar B.
Retail Store Manager
Apparel & Fashion, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/04/2020

"Professional and Open-Source Video Editor"

Comments: I have used the software to edit my own personal videos. Also, I have edited the videos of my clients. The software has helped me to create compositions from scratch to the advanced level. No doubt, OpenShot is the really simple and powerful video editor. I really like this software, because I have created a number of stunning videos using the OpenShot. I can export the video in different formats. So sometimes I export or save my work as a MP4 file and sometimes I use other formats. So my overall experience with this video editor is really incredible.

Pros: OpenShot is the best and perfect video editor. We can download the software free of cost because this is open-source software. This software is very easy to learn because the dashboard interface is very simple. We can easily understand the features and functions of different panels. From the effects and transitions panel, we can drag and drop beautiful effects in our timeline. We can create a lot of layers for your different videos and soundtracks. We can also apply different beautiful animations like fade, bounce, slide and more.

Cons: I would really like if I will able to find more plugins or templates on the official website of OpenShot. No doubt, there are hundreds of effects, features, and transitions that we can also simply apply from the software. Only if they add some external plugins in the website, that will be really Awesome. So for me, all other features of OpenShot Video Editor are really fabulous.

• Reviewed on 18/04/2020
Annam K.
Business Coordinator
Insurance, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/04/2020

"The Best and Open-Source Video Editing Software"

Comments: My overall experience with OpenShot Video Editor is really outstanding because I have used the software for my personal projects. I really like the 3D animations which I usually apply in my projects. Especially I need slow motion in my video projects, so I easily add slow motion in the videos. Sometimes I also create title in the beginning of the videos. So I really like this simple and incredible video editing software. Once i apply the transitions, then i preview the video before the export process.

Pros: Openshot is really awesome and a professional video editing software. The most important thing that it is completely free. The interface of this software is really easy to understand and use. All panels are really fabulous. You can simply import the files then you can drag and drop the files in your timeline. Then using effects and transitions you can apply a hundered of beautiful transitions. You can easily trim your exisiting videos or if you want to edit audio you can also edit the audio or sound. You can add unlimited layers.

Cons: According to my experience, we can find all video editing features, tools and options in the OpenShot Video editor. So as per my point of view, every features and use of this software is awseome. Only if we find more external plugins or modules that will be really awesome. Here plugins means, like we will able to apply more new transitions and effects. All other options are outstanding.

Sarada K.
Freelancer
Hospital & Health Care, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/03/2020

"The friendly video editing software "

Comments: Before finding this software I faced many problems using different video editing software. That software was more complicated and difficult to use. anyway, the outcome also not much good. But after finding this software I'm making high-quality videos without any difficulties with minimum time-consuming. I would like to say this is the best software for video editing because this is very friendly software anyone can use this with the minimal knowledge. The good thing is the best quality videos we can make within a minimum time period.

Pros: The best thing about this software is easy to control or use. It means the way of using this software very much familiar to me. This is free software. Nowadays most of the peoples are using this software to make the videos. Especially, When they are making videos for the business promoting purpose. Personally I'm using this software to make the video clip by using the pictures. Then I can use the audio track also. Othe thing is I can insert the letters to my video, Finally I can make the subtitles also. I like this software and recently I installed the latest version of this software.

Cons: So far I don't have much problem during using of this software, But I think it is some difficulties I felt during the making of subtitles. It was a little bit of getting more time. Still, I'm also studying about this software. I think later on It will be ok for me.

• Reviewed on 08/03/2020
Jayla A.
Self Employed
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 23/03/2020

"App Is Amazing for YouTube!"

Comments: Nice movie maker, it reminds me of past Windows Movie Makers. I say some features should be updated once in a while but other than that I will keep using this app. Reminds me of Video Pad only better with rending videos.

Pros: The software is best for cutting and editing videos for YouTube, has effects for transition and overlaps files easy without over heating. No watermarks and free! Very thankful this app is available!
Looks like a bad program at first glance but I'd give it a "open shot" Try it out! More people need to know about this program! I use this for YouTube videos when I need to make quick update videos.

Cons: Not a lot of features for music or free backgrounds but thats not an issue at all. I wish the looks was updated more to look less like early 2000s but the program is very useful.

• Reviewed on 23/03/2020
Timothy K.
Software Engineer
Religious Institutions, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 25/06/2020

"Good video editing tool"

Comments: Used it to put together a mission trip for Church but due to crashing it took a lot longer than I thought. I think it's better stability-wise now.

Pros: It's free! Also, it's simple, easy to use, a fair number of built in filters, transitions, effects, etc.

Cons: Kept crashing on me which would lose my work so had to save the pfoject every step, project files weren't transferrable would be nice to be able to package the project with assets so that you can transport it (reinstalled Linux). Tutorials would be helpful

• Reviewed on 25/06/2020
  • Reviewed on 16/11/2019

"Simple video editing"

Comments: I was looking for a basic and free solution and OpenShot is a good compromise

Pros: it is very easy to use for beginners and allow everyone to start working on their first video editing projects

Cons: Not extremely powerful and lacking some basic functionalities. Simple but limited, however good for beginners

• Reviewed on 16/11/2019
Umair B.
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2020

"The best free and Open Source Video Editing Software"

Comments: Almost always I use OpenShot for my video editing projects. I record videos and then upload them to Social Media. So before uploading, I always edit the videos in OpenShot. I have also edited a lot of videos for my clients in this Software. So my overall experience with OpenShot is really awesome. Transitions and effects panels of this software are really awesome. Because I have applied transitions and effects to my videos using these two panels.

Pros: You can download OpenShot for any Platform. No matter you are a Windows user, Linux user or Mac user. You can download and use this software Because it’s totally free and open-source. According to my point of view, OpenShot is the best free video editing software. You can easily import the project, then you can drag and drop the components in the timeline of your composition. Then you can apply stunning effects and transitions to your files.

Cons: According to my point of view, there should be more options for 3d editing. Or there should be some external plugins or modules that can be helpful for the 3d editing in OpenShot. All other things about this software are really Incredible.

• Reviewed on 10/03/2020
Iqra Z.
Digital Media Specialist
  • Reviewed on 16/06/2020

"The best and Professional Video Editor"

Comments: Video editing is the need for our business because we have to make videos regarding the content and work of our business. So I always compose and make videos in OpenShot Video Editor. There are lots of reasons, the first reason it is free and open-source. Second, the dashboard, panels, and all features are really easy to use.

Pros: OpenShot Video editor allows you to make stunning and fabulous videos. You can import the content like images and videos in your composition. Then you can apply lots of different beautiful transitions and effects. You can add as many layers as you want. The software allows you to export the video with different formats and options.

Cons: For my personal and business needs, OpenShot Video Editor always helped me and I never faced any kind of issue during the use of this software. Especially it is free. So according to me, there are no cons. Everything of OpenShot Video Editor is awesome.

• Reviewed on 16/06/2020
Farhan B.
Booking Officer
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/06/2020

"Open-source and Award Winning Free Video Editing Software"

Comments: For me, OpenShot is really important. Because I always create my business videos using the OpenShot software. Especially I apply slow motion and different animations to my videos. So my overall experience with this software is outstanding.

Pros: OpenShot is an open-source and award winning free video editing software. You can create stunning and beautiful videos using different professional transitions and effects. The software is really easy to understand and use. You can use different video and audio layers. There are lots of video effects you can apply to your videos.

Cons: According to my experience, there should be more 3d animations and transitions for the beginners. No doubt, we have thousands of good animations, transitions and effects in the software. But some few more 3d transitions will be awesome.

• Reviewed on 14/06/2020
Michael A.
  • Reviewed on 07/07/2020

"OpenShot is easy to use but limited"

Comments: We were using this to put together instructional videos for YouTube. We were able to get the file ready for uploading, but once we wanted to overlay PowerPoint slides on the green screen things became more complicated and not as usable as we wanted.

Pros: The learning curve is very easy on this software! I was up and running within an hour without much research or instruction. Very easy and intuitive, very mouse driven, graphically driven, not pull-down driven.

Cons: The ability to do basic editing is great but there is not a lot more to do. If you need only basic editing it is so incredible easy!! Overlays, text can be done but are not as flexible as I wanted. Tried adding an overlay but it tried splitting the file to fit it in.
Did more research and found out better way to make it work but it was not as intuitive as I wanted.
Was going to recommend to a friend, but after the editing experience I decided to recommend something for flexible and powerful. I have gone back and forth with the software. I love the ease of use but the limitations are troubling.

• Reviewed on 07/07/2020
William B.
IT Manager
  • Reviewed on 07/04/2020

"Drag and drop video editing for free! "

Comments: I can add several video clips together to produce one seamless video. I can add dozens of built in transitions. Adding titles is a breeze. Then exporting to MP4 has many choices to meet my needs.

Pros: Drag and drop video editing for free! Love this program. It is simple to use right from first install. I have used other bundled software, and even Adobe products. OpenShot is way better and easier to use.

Cons: I cannot think of anything that is lacking in this product. But I am a nubie at video editing. So that I can create a video from multiple clips and add photos and title is awesome.

Debjit B.
Freelancer
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 28/11/2018

"Opensource video editor with cloud and api capability."

Comments: If you are experimenting and want a completely free/ open-source solution for your video editing solution this software is for you. I just update it to my KVM VPS and I have a cloud editor all by myself. The feature is simple, effects are not that impressive but it workes.

Pros: This is the most awesome piece of software for videos editing. I just install it to a VM and use the app to convert/create/edit video using its api. Just awesome. I have also tried the desktop version with GT710 my entry level card and its output was smooth. Playback for 1080/30fps is just smooth and doesn't take many resources. As it is an Opensource and community-driven software I can use it for free and for anything. Some transactions effects and sound channels. It is still its first stage and evolving rapidly.

Cons: As it is an Open-source software I have to wait if got any problem or find my own solutions for it. The effects are limited due to no team is developing them.

• Reviewed on 28/11/2018
Michael T.
Network Administrator II
Telecommunications, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2018

"Very video editor that doesn't cost an arm and a leg"

Comments: I use to use Openshot to edit my drone footage, and I still do from time to time. I have never had any issues with it, and it has always done the job excellently.

Pros: Openshot is a free and open source software. It is maintained by a community of programmers that are very helpful in keeping it working and up to date. It has a wide range of transitions, and even has an add on for Firefox.

Cons: As with a lot of open source software Openshot can be buggy at times, and occasionally some of the features do not work as well as they do in paid software, but if you do run into any issues, there is a huge community of users to assist you with any issues.

• Reviewed on 09/04/2018
Emanuele B.
Mr
  • Reviewed on 06/11/2019

"A useful tool for linux"

Comments: It's free and it provides basic useful functions to simple edit your videos, but don't push your requests too far...

Pros: This software is free and is available for linux. You can learn quickly how to use it, as it's very intuitive. There are basic functions that let you edit your videos, merge, cut, and many other available operations

Cons: Beware, use only with short videos!
Every time I use this software with long videos (in my experience 5+ minutes) get ready for a frustrating experience with the timeline... it seems that the displayed time doesn't always correspond to the same frame...

• Reviewed on 06/11/2019
Tyler T.
Youtuber
Entertainment, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2018

"Good free video editor"

Comments: I can create videos in several different formats with very complex and intense audio added in. Openshot is perfect for a Youtuber on a budget.

Pros: While Openshot is a good video editor in general my favorite feature is its powerful audio editing. When I need to create a video with an intense soundtrack Openshot is my go to editor.

Cons: While Openshot is a good editor it has a tendency to lag and can even get so bad while lagging that it will freeze and crash. This has cause me to move to other video editors, but I still use Openshot for the audio editor.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2018
Tajammal H.
Web Owner
Internet, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 20/09/2018

"OpenShot Video Editor - An open source video editor with powerful functions"

Comments: I have been edited many videos with OpenShot software very easily. I like it.

Pros: OpenShot is a free, easy to use and open source software for video editing. It has a user frinedly interface. The main window lets you access all video editing features, preview your work and access the timeline. It is available for Linux, Windows, and Mac. It also provide free built in effects and animations for your clips to make beautiful. It also have great 3D title generating support.

Cons: 3D animation generating feature is not a built-in feature. You must have to install "Blender" software to generate 3D animation titles.

• Reviewed on 20/09/2018
Product Marketing Manager
Internet, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/02/2020

"Its Free, Simple and Comprehensive"

Comments: I am majorly using micro user guides and it has been super effective. I started using this about 3 months ago and no major roadblock till now. It's great!

Pros: I love the fact that Openshot can be used for free on any operating systems. I am using it on Linux. It serves multiple purposes. You can edit videos, add tracks, add transitions and export a High Quality Mp4 very easily. You can pretty much do everything a paid video editor allows.

Cons: So, when you are playing a video after adding your desired tracks and cropping the videos, the track stutters and looks low quality. However, once you export the video, it seems to be perfectly fine. I didn't realise that fact until I actually exported the video. Overall, it's a great tool.

• Reviewed on 05/02/2020
Jason H.
Writer/developer
Online Media, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 03/06/2019

"Open Shot is a fantastic free video editor"

Comments: As someone who was used to using Microsoft's Movie Maker, I was initially reluctant to start using a more complex video editor. At first, the interface was overwhelming, but in no time I knew my way around and was editing videos. Now that I know how to use it, I find it to be an excellent, powerful, and feature-rich editor. The fact that it's free is a bonus, and the fact that it runs on Linux and Windows makes it easy for me to switch between my many workstations.

Pros: The interface, while initially daunting, is functional and useful once you know your way around. Everything is laid out in a logical way to make it as easy as possible for new users.

Cons: The version that comes with Linux Mint does not include support for WMA files. A manual upgrade is necessary if you use that format.

• Reviewed on 03/06/2019
Linos S.
Academic
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/01/2019

"Fast, fully customizable, but with a slightly steep learning curve"

Comments: I've used OpenShot Video Editor in the past. At first, I preferred simpler applications, but once I had to make a half-hour project from more than 5 hours of audio and multi-cam video footage, I had to go for something more serious. Because I had to customize OpenShot Video Editor to my needs for said project, now I only use this, even for the simplest task.

Pros: OpenShot Video Editor is probably the most powerful video editor and exported one can use on Fedora Linux. Anything and everything can be added to it's collection, from basic color correction to fully custom transitions, and there is a big community that shares their own. Rendering can be done in virtually every format and file type. Do not let the zero price fool you; this is a tool for professionals.

Cons: Although it is really ease to use once its fully customized, customization itself can be somewhat hard. But otherwise, it wouldn't be possible to be that powerful. For a more simple experience, one can use other applications which are made for that purpose, but don't dwell into professional video editing.

• Reviewed on 08/01/2019
Strategic Account Manager
Computer Software, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/02/2020

"can be used to multifarious purposes."

Comments: I am able to create micro user guides to send to clients. Product videos that can be added to the presentation decks.

Pros: I recently started using this tool and I think its a great value addition. You can do multiple things like, cropping a video, adding sound track, converting to mp4. It serves a lot of purposes with absolutely no cost. Its supported on different operating systems, I am using it on Linux and Mac. Both are great. Love it.

Cons: Not sure if this is an OS issue but the video stutters sometimes while editing. The final output is still perfect though.

• Reviewed on 28/02/2020
Trainer
E-Learning, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/04/2020

"Great software for a novice to making videos"

Comments: Very thoughtful creation.

Pros: I love the first tutorials that take you step by step to create a video. It is really user-friendly interface. In addition, the drag and drop features are so accessible.

Cons: There seem to be short of different animation functions. Also, you cannot create other type of cinematic effects.