• Overall
    4.8 /5
    4.7 /5
    4.9 /5

About Katana

Manufacturing ERP software for total visibility. Manage all the moving parts of your business — inventory, sales, and beyond.

Learn more about Katana

Elle R.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2020

"Cannot recommend this app enough"

Comments: Honestly has changed my life for the better. I'm no longer running out of supplies and having to do emergency orders (hello, extra shipping fees!). This keeps me organized and helps me to better my time management. I can see every open order that I need to fulfill and planning out supply orders is a breeze. I've recommended this app to every other maker I know because I am that in love with it. I'll use this app for the rest of my life because it is the best thing that's happened to my business in a long time.

Pros: This software legitimately changed the way my business runs. It keeps me accountable for the hundreds of supplies I use on a daily basis and keeps me organized in a way that no lists, or other apps, ever have.

Cons: I can honestly say nothing, this app works so seamlessly and wonderfully. Maybe the load speeds can be a little laggy, but that's mostly because I have a lot of materials I've input. Definitely not an app downfall or issue at all.

by Katana MRP on 02/06/2020

Thank you for the support!

Ellowyn I.
Consumer Goods, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 06/09/2019

"Great choice for small manufacturer"

Comments: I tried several different MRPs before settling with Katana. Some were too clunky, others too expensive, complicated and elaborate. I felt a bit like Goldilocks. Katana was just right. Reasonably priced. Integrating with Quickbooks and Shopify was simple and efficient. The set up was fast. I no longer have to duplicate data entry onto multiple systems. This saves me times and I don't lose track of orders or inventory. I especially like the instant chat feature with their customer service reps. I can leave a quick message or screenshot of a problem and within a day or so, I have a response back and my problem resolved. No need to hire an expensive consultant, anyone could set up Katana and run it.

Pros: Very simple user-interface
Was able to set it up quickly and efficiently
Continual feature upgrades
Simple integration with Shopify & QuickBooks
Very responsive customer service
Detailed, but not overwhelming

Cons: The upload from Excel was clunky and not helpful. It was faster to just enter in the data directly.
There are features I look forward to having but that are not currently available. I know their team will be releasing them in the next year.

by Katana MRP on 10/09/2019

Thank you for the feedback!

• Reviewed on 06/09/2019
Klaus K.
Management
Machinery, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/08/2020

"First Impression KATANA - perfect fit for smaller companies which do not need a complex ERP-system"

Comments: For our requirements, set-up and company size the best we could find and test!
We will manage inventory/warehouse with 5000+ items, handle products with ingredients & operations, edit quotes, generate sales orders and mark received orders as shipped for automated invoice generation in Quickbooks. The cloud-based concept and the reduced complexity combined with an intuitivbe operatzion makes this SW easy to install and to work with if you have a team in different geographic locatioopns (as we have).
Set-up of KATANA is absolutely simple, mostl yself-explanatory and can be done by any "power-user" without need of (expensive) external ERP-consultants.

Pros: Handling of inventory, items, products, ingredients, sales orders - all this is handled in a very efficient, clear and easy to use way. Makes the difference compared to many alternative MRP-/ERP-systems.
Connector to QuickBooks with automatic trigger for invoices in QB once the products are marked as shipped in KATANA.
Connector to Shopify for on-line sale of spare parts.
100% helpful and open minded customer service - very helpful in helping to understand all features and finding the best workflow for specific situations.

Cons: There are some functions/features which need improvement, e.g. the customization of documents such as Quotations so every company can generate a set of individual template to serve different areas (machines, spare parts, service,..). 3-5 custom fields for Quotes/Sales Orders/Products would be helpful. Althoug KATANA is intended to be a MRP-system it would be helpful to integrate SERVICE-articles (not only MAKE or BUY articles). This would allow to add a possible service portion to a spare parts quote.
Dedicated Delivery Notes (with partial shipments) would be a great feature.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you! Glad you are getting value out of Katana.

• Reviewed on 21/08/2020
Jason M.
Sales Director/ Owner
Environmental Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/07/2021

"Love the functionality!"

Pros: This software is very user friendly compared to some other, more detailed programs.

Cons: I had some issue with the conversions during the product builds, so I am not sure if you could have multiple conversions for a product.

• Reviewed on 06/07/2021
Orion B.
Consumer Goods, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/05/2020

"Great Materials Management Tool"

Pros: Lots of inventory apps out there but none are as solid on the materials management side as Katana. Its definitely added value from day one with materials management, out of stocks, and building flexible bill of materials. I can see my costs with real time averages and finally take tangible benefit on my balance sheet for finding cost efficiencies month over month.

Cons: It struggles to integrate with Shopify as efficiently as we need and the features tend to be a bit oversold by the team. We've found gaps in functionality each month that we've had to build process around.

• Reviewed on 17/05/2020
Jim B.
General Manager
Food Production, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/06/2021

"Great, cost effective ERP solution for small business"

Comments: As a food company, it's key for us to have end-to-end traceability so implementing Katana has helped resolve that issue.

Pros: Very easy to implement and use; setup was very straightforward.

Cons: Wish reporting (price changes mostly) and forecasting were stronger.

• Reviewed on 22/06/2021
Irah V.
Food Production, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2020

"Excellent"

Pros: Katana is a game changer for small manufacturers that must track batch id's and other inputs. Really wish we had this when we started our business.

Cons: Batch tracking for ingredients will be a huge improvement. Apparently it's coming Q1 2021, so that will be nice.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for the positive feedback! Batch tracking is indeed in the works and will be available soon.

• Reviewed on 16/12/2020
Austin C.
Business Development
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2020

"Simple, Straightforward Manufacturing Integration"

Pros: Fast, powerful, easy to learn, with a clean and consistent connection to QuickBooks Online. Great user interface and robust support materials.

Cons: It can be a bit pricey, starting at about $100 for the first user, but it’s been worth it. I’d like to see native, integrated barcoding support.

by Katana MRP on 02/06/2020

Thank you for the feedback! We're working to develop the software in the suggested way.

Danny N.
Senior Manager
Automotive, 11-50 Employees

"Ease of use"

Comments: Katana helped me to move my team from using Excel-based planning to a web-based platform. It is easy to use and was easily adopted by my team. Team Katana has been helpful in proving some work-around for some features not available in Katana.

Pros: Katana is an easy to use platform that suits most of my needs for planning and scheduling.

Cons: Allow partial delivery for a Sales Order

by Katana MRP on 02/06/2020

Thank you for the review and we will work on developing the software in the suggested direction!

Kristjan V.
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/05/2020

"Easy to use manufacturing software"

Pros: Once you understand the structure of the software and the solutions it offers, it gives you simple, but useful overview of your production process. It is easy to use as a team as well.

Cons: Since the software is made for a very wide range of products manufacturing, there were not as many options we would specifically needed for our prefab timber house production process, but after a period of time, there has been many updates and additional options added to the software.

• Reviewed on 18/05/2020
Jonathan C.
Wholesale, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/06/2021

"Katana Changed Our Business"

Pros: This software took our company to a new level. Our inventory and purchasing is so much more organized. It has helped our daily flow of production and keeps our team on the same page.

Cons: It doesn't give enough of an overview of the workflow.

• Reviewed on 29/06/2021
Richard F.
Mechanical or Industrial Engineering, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/06/2021

"A great 'Makers' bit of software"

Comments: Very good. Quick to answer questions.

Pros: The ease of use is the main thing that we like.

Cons: We have a bespoke website and some of the API was tricky to implement - but now it is up and running it is decent.

Todd D.
Machinery, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2020

"Machine Shop Inventory COntrol"

Pros: I own a small, specialized machine shop and previously we have not had any inventory control or planning systems. When a customer called for a part, we went to the inventory and look at how many we had, if it was short we quickly ordered material and rushed there manufacturing to meet the order. Katana has given us visibility into our inventory supply as well as provided invaluable insight into our planning and work scheduling. Additionally it has helped identify areas for improvement in our workflow. Katana is an excellent app for managing inventory and processes.

Cons: We would like to be able to set stock up to quantities so that once the minimum stock is reached the software advises how many to make/purchase.

Joel S.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/05/2020

"Very easy to use and ideal for production and sales"

Comments: great to remove manual tracking of sales order / SKU

Pros: Great integration with Shopify and Xero
Ability to track everything in one place from sales to invoices to production.
Work easily with creating customers and invoices through to xero.

Cons: No batch tracking (yet)
A little complicated to set up when you have multiple price points for the same SKU and need to input the product card to reflect this as discounts of one set price isnt ideal to flow into xero

• Reviewed on 25/05/2020
Inês N.
Partner & CEO
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/03/2021

"Transformational for our business!!!"

Comments: It has been transformational for our business and looking forward to keep growing powered by Katana!

Pros: Simple to use, comprehensive functionalities and above all highly flexible to fit our DTC and made to order workflow.

Cons: Inventory reporting can be improved with standard analytics

• Reviewed on 28/03/2021
Ike P.
Head of Shipping and Production
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/12/2020

"Katana is great for inventory and stock adjustments!"

Comments: Overall the pros definitely out weigh the cons (at least for our business) so we're very pleased.

Pros: I really like that I'm able to save my product's SOPs and can easily find them when I need to make more! It is very handy to have that feature. I also enjoy that after I have made the product, I can add the inventory through a stock adjustment. It's a very simple process that is not convoluted. Big fan!

Cons: The only thing that I don't love is when I am doing a stock adjustment I have to do the math on each item to get it to the correct total. For example: If I start the week with 35 of a specific item and throughout the week, say, 17 get purchased, when I do inventory and account for that, I have to use the calculator to figure out 35 -17 = correct total. And I have to do that math for each individual item.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for your kind words!

• Reviewed on 20/12/2020
Zach D.
Consumer Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/01/2020

"Great Value for Small Manufacturing Businesses"

Comments: The overall experience has been a positive one. It does well what is promised, and the support team is helpful while also listening to feedback for future improvements.

Pros: The price makes Katana most attractive. It is also intuitive to set up and use. Katana also provided helpful onboarding assistance.

Cons: The software is a bit limited with respect to features for or customization of PO's.

by Katana MRP on 22/01/2020

Thank you for reviewing Katana!

• Reviewed on 21/01/2020
Erik J.
Consumer Electronics, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 27/05/2020

"MKUltra Corporation"

Comments: Invaluable to the maker+vendor. No more guessing, no more surprises when material stock runs out or inventory levels are low - Katana is the second set of eyes I didn't know I needed. Worth every minute of setup, this app has not only saved my business money and time - it has saved my business, period.

Pros: Integrates flawlessly with my Shopify store and makes managing materials and stock levels incredibly easy once everything is setup. The ability to prioritize jobs based on different criteria and rearrange them on the fly if necessary is critical for my business and Katana handles this with ease.

Cons: Setup was a chore BUT that is really more of a good thing, because there is a LOT of data that people might not take into account when initially considering software like this. If you want to use it properly, each and every little detail needs to be accounted for and when you have hundreds of SKUs like me, it can seem like a mountain. Climb it, you'll be glad you did.

by Katana MRP on 03/06/2020

Thank you for your feedback!

• Reviewed on 27/05/2020
Justin B.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/03/2021

"Easy to use and helpful"

Pros: It takes some time to set up and deploy, but once it's running, its super helpful! Its very easy to generate POs, update stock levels, and track sales and make orders. All the function without the bloated junk that expensive and advanced MRP systems have.

Cons: I wish there was a way to have a negative stock variant (a single product that represents a product subtraction rather than having to make a full copy of a product recipe minus that one single item).
I wish there was a way to group materials without having to create a separate product for them. Each product will generate a separate make order, but sometimes Its not actually something that can be made individually, it just represents all the parts that make up an assembly. There is currently no way to make a group of materials that does not become its own product that the system thinks needs to be made as its own inventory item.

• Reviewed on 22/03/2021
Marcin K.
Aviation & Aerospace, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/06/2021

"New user but very happy with software quality and functionality."

Comments: Reason to use Katana was mainly to organise production and stock levels. There is long learning curve, but in longer run I believe this will help us to clean process up.

Pros: Cloud integration and nice User Interface.

Cons: - I am still little bit worried about lack of backup available to the user. There should be method to revert in time for example. If somebody messed up something, there is no way to go back.
- Another thing is lack of Sage integration.
- If new option is added to the existing product/material Internal Barcode is not generated and it has to be created manually. I am not sure why...
- sorting for example of PO orders is done by string, so orders are never in the correct order. Prefix PO- should be omitted for sorting table.

• Reviewed on 24/06/2021
Cecilia V.
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2020

"Katana Make Production Visible"

Comments: It has been a very positive experience, putting joy in my work.

Pros: I love this software because of the ease of use and the workflow methodology. The drill down ability for stock and manufactured items are great. We have managed to get a lot more information on staff productivity through exporting complete manufacture orders data and reporting. I also love it that support is real and that I now know some of the team personally. They answer queries fast and efficiently.

Cons: All the current issues I have are in development.
For example:
1. Adding landing costs to purchase order items
2. Multi Currency
3. Back Order information

Callee A.
Wholesale, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2020

"Great for small but growing handmade biz!"

Pros: Just completed the free 14 day trial of Katana and have now begun a paid subscription. It took a few days and a bit of frustration to manually add all our products, ingredients, recipes, and current pending wholesale orders from outside of shopify, but having the shopify integration helped a lot. We use three different wholesale platforms (Faire, tundra & Abound), none of which offer automated third party integrations, so we knew we’d have to manually input orders and Katana serves that purpose as our centralized dashboard to see what needs to go out, when, from which platform, if we have it in stock, when we can make it, etc. In two weeks, we’ve already seen an increase in production efficiency and decrease in wholesale turnaround times now that EVERYTHING is being tracked in one place. Highly recommend Katana if you’re a maker, it’s never too early to implement automated systems in your biz!

Cons: Glitches with accurate purchase prices showing up in overall product list. Described it to customer service and they denied it being a problem. That’s the only problem I’ve encountered so far. Tbh on customer support quality.

by Katana MRP on 17/06/2020

Hi! Thank you for your feedback and we'll make sure to work out any glitches that have occurred along the way. Happy making!

• Reviewed on 26/05/2020
Chris P.
Manufacturing Manager
Renewables & Environment, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2019

"Most affordable MRP system for small manufacturers"

Comments: Katana has been extremely responsive with receiving feedback on the product and working in product improvements based on that feedback. There have already been multiple issues I had with the product early on that they have reacted to feedback on and implemented changes. Great customer service.

Pros: I love the value. We were stuck using excel to manage our inventory for a long time because there were no affordable options until Katana came along. I am able to maintain accurate stock levels much more easily now.

Cons: There are a few minor inconveniences that are small time wasters. One example is not being able to shift/ctrl click multiple items and drag them around as a group when reorganizing priority rank of manufacturing orders. Since we have multilevel subassemblies I spend more time dragging around manufacturing orders to organize the order I want them completed in and I could save some time if I could drag items around as a group.

by Katana MRP on 10/09/2019

Chris, thank you for sharing your experience with Katana!

• Reviewed on 09/09/2019
Lisa C.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/02/2020

"Met our needs at beginning, as needs grew Katana team listened and added features"

Comments: We maintain about 1500-2000 SKUS and all assemblers work at home. Some do different steps, returning work weekly and then having it distributed to the next person. Giving every MO an actual number has kept every bag of parts and supplies organized. We can track who has it, where it's at in the manufacturing process, etc. Even though we have used Katana since January, it's the last 3 months that it's really proven it's value to us. We do not use it for order fulfillment, just in-house manufacturing. But it's allowed us to prep for holiday season from July forward and stay completely organized and efficient. No more "where-did-it-go" or "how-many-have-we-prepped" frantic moments. We began the year knowing we needed a software that "fit" our company's size and our needs. Katana has proven invaluable for our company this year. We are currently doing our first complete inventory and we hope to add these numbers to Katana in 2020 and continue to improve our efficiency.

Pros: The ability to use Resources as a way to assign a specific person to each task so I can see who is working on what step of the manufacturing process and the allotted time they are provided for the task. This year we went from contract labor/paid-per-piece to employees/hourly-wage and Katana has made this a much smoother transition then it could have been. Having both "cost-per-piece" for assembly of items as well as "cost-per-minute" has given us the ability to compare former payment procedures with what to expect per hour from employees.

Cons: There are a variety of tasks that were unable to be done when we began using Katana in January 2019 but I am thrilled to say that most of them have been developed. The developers listen and are very attentive to requests, bug reports, and ideas and so despite the fact that some of the features were not available (exporting reports, importing recipes, bulk print MOs/pick lists, etc.) they have added these and the software continues to grow. The next feature I'd love to see is the ability to have a product photo attached to each product that prints out an image with the MO. Also, we have some items "on hold" (not sent to distribution center yet) and we use Resources to specify ONHOLD-BIN221 etc. to know the status of any particular SKU completed. We'd prefer not to use different locations, but rather have the ability to add a couple more "status" options. Either a misc or a custom. For now, everything on hold gets marked BLOCKED status and then the Resource is used to say it's on hold in whatever bin.

by Katana MRP on 07/02/2020

Thank you for very thorough feedback! Love to have you growing with us!

• Reviewed on 06/02/2020
Lauren V.
Founder/Owner
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees

"Love it!"

Comments: We LOVE this app! We had to work out some kinks the in the beginning based on our needs but Katana's representatives were very helpful and we got it all figured out.

Pros: It's helped us streamline inventory management, manufacturing orders and inventory orders. Highly recommend!

Cons: It was a significantly more money than what we were paying with our old system but the extra money has been so worth it for us.