• Overall
    4.8 /5
    4.7 /5
    4.9 /5

About Katana

Smart, visual inventory software for scaling manufacturers. Integrates with Xero, QuickBooks, Shopify, WooCommerce, BigCommerce, Zapier

Learn more about Katana

Showing 25 reviews of 84

Founder and CEO
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2019

"I dont understand all the great reviews"

Pros: The interface is intuitive. The pricing seems okay.

Cons: This software is seriously lacking features. For all those who wrote reviews saying they love the software, I want to know what industry they work in and how they use the app. It doesnt offer very basic features. You can't bulk edit, you literally need to upload an excel sheet if you want to change several products. There are no images for your products. How does it not support images? This is basic database stuff. And currently, you can only manufacture items from one location! Who's rating this software as great?!

by Katana MRP on 30/09/2019

As a fast growing software, we understand the concerns you have with Katana. At our current development speed, all of the mentioned lacking features are made available by the end of this year. Hope you will give us another chance!

• Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Denis O.
Designer
Printing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/12/2020

"Best MRP/inventory manager for small business"

Comments: Overall, I'm very happy with Katana. Even though I run a small business and the price is relatively high for me, it's still well worth it. Adding new orders is quick and simple, but more importantly, I can instantly see if I have all the required resources at hand. Even if I have a few dozen pending orders, their coloured chart makes it so easy to quickly see if there are any issues.

Pros: Very easy to use without cluttered interface. This was my biggest selling point when comparing Katana to other similar products. Everything is so well organised and easy to glance over, while still offering nearly everything that I need for myself. I also like that any changes in the inventory are immediately reflected in open orders. This is true for everything that I've used so far; as soon as I make a change in one area, it instantly reflects in all others as well.

Cons: I'm missing one feature, but it's more due to the specific nature of my business. It would be great if I could organize my inventory not just by total combined weight, but broken down into individual units as well. For example, if my order requires 500g of plastic in one piece, but I have two separate pieces of 250g each, Katana will show that I have enough resources, even though I can't fill my order since I need one unbroken piece. I've already got in touch with their support about this and they've said my request was put on their wish list, so I'm fairly confident it will eventually get implemented.

by Katana MRP on 13/01/2021

Thank you for choosing Katana!

• Reviewed on 31/12/2020
Brandon K.
Consumer Electronics, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2020

"Perfect for where we're at right now"

Comments: We chose Katana after trying out a couple different MRP's which were either overly complex, over-priced, or didn't fit our needs. We've stuck with Katana based on it's ease-of-use, intuitive design, and delivery of everything we need it to do.

Pros: It's great to be able to log in on any computer without having to install software, and it's done an amazing job of keeping our inventory tidy and up-to-date. The Purchase Order generator has also made us look very professional to our suppliers. The integration with Shopify is also a huge plus to us as it prevents us from having to manually transfer Shopify orders and automatically removes all parts from the BOM from our inventory. Highly recommended!

Cons: There aren't many, if any things we've come up against yet that Katana didn't support.

by Katana MRP on 13/02/2020

• Reviewed on 09/02/2020
Jeff H.
General Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2020

"Most Intuitive MRP Ever"

Comments: Overall it's simple to setup, simple to use, and while not quite polished, does everything we need in a hugely user friendly way.

Pros: I was looking for a solution for seasonal manufacturing workers that we don't have time to get up to speed with some complex MRP - Kanata's UI is the most intuitive interface out of any MRP I was able to find. The ease of re-prioritising jobs, and the automatic stock refactoring is awesome, and the team are really, really responsive to feature ideas and issues. Seamless integrations with WooCommerce makes supplying orders to customers super easy.

Cons: It doesn't quite have everything we need, some of which I though we're quite base (Bin Locations, Supplier Product Codes, Purchase Orders that email directly to suppliers), but all of those have work arounds, and I'm assured are planned for future development.

by Katana MRP on 13/01/2021

Thank you for the review!

• Reviewed on 18/12/2020
Andrew D.
Techinical Director
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2020

"A nessecary tool"

Comments: Mainly we have had a good experience, the system is updated to try and make it fit every company model.
It has helped me monitor our business and stock levels closely, you just have to make sure it is kept up to date so that it accurately reflects your current stock levels.

Pros: Helps keep track of work stock if used correctly. Updated regulary. We had an issue where there was not enough decimal places for us to input our formulas, we raised this issue and within a month it was fixed. Allows me to quickly find out a customers purchasing history and the percentage profit made per product

Cons: My only issue is that it is slightly expensive for a small company.

• Reviewed on 31/01/2020
David B.
Automotive, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2019

"Katana for manufacturing"

Comments: Lots of potential Katana, it a emerging system sure it doesn't have the xero integration in play atm but like my own business Katana is also growing so I like that I have partner with a operating system that going through similar growing pains as we are. if you have a manufacturing process you wish to have better control of I recommend exploring this system.

Pros: I have been operating my business using excel, xero, monday.com and email. After searching for a system that could centralise my focus I came across Katana which in essence consolidates all the previous mentioned systems into one interface which saves me a tonne of time. secondly the customer support, I have had a lengthy skype call with Hannes who is a founder of Katana where by he provided a demo session of how the software will be suitable for my business needs. I really valued to the bespoke service which ensured I got off to the right start.

Cons: The intergration to Xero is in development but this has been the most noteable con to date, that said Katana is working on this and it should be available shortly

by Katana MRP on 14/11/2019

Thank you David for sharing your experience we are happy to grow with you!

• Reviewed on 12/11/2019
Alexander A.
Head of Technology & Logistics
Printing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/09/2019

"Perfect choice for small manufacturing company"

Comments: We are a starting up printing company which has been looking for a fast learning curve solution to manage our manufacturing and supply chain data. Katana turned out to be a perfect match for us.

Pros: + Simplicity. Probably most intuitive specialized software I've used.
+ Price structure. Very affordable for us.
+ Customer support.

Cons: - Lack of some "nice to have features". But, it's another side of simplicity and affordability, right?

by Katana MRP on 10/09/2019

Thank you for sharing your experience with Katana!

• Reviewed on 09/09/2019
Alejandro R.
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2019

"The software we've been searching for!"

Comments: Katana makes it easy to take our manufacturing to a new level by adding structure that will end up saving time and ultimately saving money.

Pros: Easy to use, flows and clear path to implementation.

Cons: Would like to see Multi-languages and currency options.

by Katana MRP on 10/10/2019

• Reviewed on 09/10/2019
Robert D.
Managing Director
Chemicals, 2-10 Employees

"Easy To Use"

Comments: Before Katana we had our inventory and orders etc in different spreadsheets and systems. we where always miscalculating what stock we had and had to double and some times triple entry on all. we discovered Katana and now its all in the one system that is easy to use.

Pros: it is very simple to use and helpful to have all the information in the one spot

Cons: i cannot think of anything that i did not like

by Katana MRP on 22/01/2020

Thank you for the feedback and kind words!

Robert M.
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2020

"Katana"

Comments: Workflow was a problem for us as was keeping track of raw materials - Katana solved both of these on day one!

Pros: The ease of setup to a non-ERP user was great and support team always willing to help

Cons: Minor enhancements like customising documents produced and report Paramus/filters neon saved

by Katana MRP on 23/01/2020

• Reviewed on 22/01/2020
Paolo R.
Operations Manager
Food Production, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2020

"Break through"

Comments: Initially had bumps when I was setting it up, but overall once you immerse yourself within the software. It's relatively easy to use and I thank all the customer service representative that extended their help to me.

Pros: The software is fairly easier to use as compared to other providers. It's pretty straight forward and the booking system gives us an immediate glimpse of our current production status. Customer service is also excellent!

Cons: The company behind Katana is relatively new, so there are still a lot more features that they can add but I know they have been working on them! Would love to have access control options feature.

• Reviewed on 15/05/2020
Thomas H.
Textiles, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2020

"A good support"

Pros: We use Katana everyday to track our supply flows through different warehouses and to get the average value in stock. Once the main integration is made it is easy to use.
Katana team members were always available to help us through this process and still are when needed.

Cons: Our use of Katana is limited since we are not handling our production ourselves, so we don't use all the functions available and have to adjust the features to our business. Small changes like adjusting the interface according to the daily customer needs would be a real bonus.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for your feedback!

• Reviewed on 17/12/2020
Charmayne I.
Customer Service Manager
  • Reviewed on 30/01/2020

"As Described, Easy to Use"

Pros: Product is as described, mostly. Easy to use. Has made a big difference in sorting orders and tracking inventory. Reasonably priced for a small business. There is a lot to the software program, and we are still learning, but customer service is always available to assist in answering any questions, and so far each employee that has used it, agrees that it is easy to navigate through.

Cons: Lacking a few features but they are expanding and often adding new features.

by Katana MRP on 10/02/2020

THank you for the support!

• Reviewed on 30/01/2020
Philippe F.
IT Manager
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 11-50 Employees

"Katana does the job"

Comments: With Katana, I could implement all our very special "recipes" we use to create our products as well as easily manage our inventory of raw materials as well as finished goods. The integration is seamless with Shopify, which is what we needed. Very good product!!

Pros: All the features I need to manage our manufacturing and inventory for our Shopify stores is in this app ! Easy to use.

Cons: It is a bit slow at times and the creation of product recipes is a lengthy process.

by Katana MRP on 22/01/2020

Israel S.
Food & Beverages, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 06/02/2020

"Amazing Product, Solid Support Team"

Pros: Katana has been an important integration for streamlining our business processes from purchase orders to manufacturing and inventory. The support team provides prompt responses and work to integrate requests as best as possible.

Cons: Katana is always integrating more requests each day. One of the things we await is the ability to update our accounting software with inventory from raw to finished goods.

by Katana MRP on 10/02/2020

Thank you for your feedback!

• Reviewed on 06/02/2020

• Reviewed on 23/08/2018
Joshua P.
Warehousing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/05/2020

"The best for small manufacturing"

Pros: KatanaMRP has really helped me know what to order, and when to order it, as well as plan what comes next in manufacturing. It even lets me add time to tasks in production so I can monetarily make sure employees are being efficient enough for my company to remain profitable. Definitely recommend. I wish I would have found them sooner.

Cons: Sometimes the app logs me out and I have to put the information in twice.

Scott C.
Furniture, 2-10 Employees

"Brilliant System"

Comments: Frees up time. Accurate stock levels. Easily see where in the manufacturing process a job is

Pros: Brilliant. Katana has transformed how we managed stock and control manufacturing. The best part is it is simple without unwanted extras that take as much time to maintain as a manual system. Katana is efficient and fast. Integrates well with Xero and Shopify. Highly recommended.

Cons: AMobile App would be brilliant but not essential

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for the review and happy to be growing with you!

Danny D.
Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 14/05/2020

"Great alternative MRP to its expensive competitors"

Comments: Katana has completely solved our supply line issues and it is an amazing tool that enables you to visualize production issues and bottlenecks.

Pros: I love graphical representation and its ease of use. It took less than a week to get my company up and running. Katana has been a fantastic MRP that has been able to grow with us. They have added some important updates that have made its daily operation even easier. All things considered Katana was a great choice for my company!

Cons: Sometimes it slows in operation which is mildly annoying. This could probably be fixed with some more servers in our geographic region.

• Reviewed on 14/05/2020
Jeff H.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2020

"Katana has made a huge improvement to our business process!"

Comments: I was extremely happy to find this app after months of struggling to keep track (using a spreadsheet) of current quantity for 1.) In stock blank shirts (various colors and sizes)
2.) Ordered blanks (various colors, sizes, and suppliers)
3.) Sales of finish products (various styles, colors, sizes, and designs.)
Making a Purchase Order list took way to long to complete each day. With Katana, tracking what we have and what we needed got so much easier and I was able to focus on more important business decisions. Before Katana I was over and under ordering ingredients. I would recommend this app to anyone who uses Shopify and wants to make managing inventory of raw materials, ingredients, and sales orders easier.

Pros: Improved our ability to track shared ingredients for the products we sell.
Easy to know what quantity of ingredients to buy and who to buy it from.
Connects to Shopify and updates automatically.
Amazing customer support.

Cons: It took some time to learn the software and create ingredients for each product - but is worth while.

Thank you!

Elton W.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/12/2020

"Katana has made my life easier"

Comments: My inventory issues are now a thing of the past. Katana has made it so easy to now sync to Woocommerce, it is so easy to see exactly where my inventory issues are.

Pros: This product is so easy to us. Once it is set up, it tracks your inventory very well, and the integrations with Woocommerce and Xero are excellent add ons as well. I would recommend to anybody

Cons: The pricing is a bit on the expensive side. As it is invoiced in $US, I don't have a fixed price each month, as it is subject to currency fluctuations, because I do not live in the US.

by Katana MRP on 28/12/2020

Thank you for your review! Glad to see you have solved your inventory tracking issues with Katana. Excited for your growth!

Matt F.
Consumer Goods, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2020

"Katana Review"

Comments: Just the app I needed for my small business to mange the complexities of inventory and materials management. It is a no brainer for anyone looking to manage their direct to consumer manufacturing and will be my key managing fast growth. The sync between Xero, Shopify and Katana is exactly what I was after. Great support from the team too!

Pros: I was looking for software that could manage both my purchased and manufactured products with both BOM and raw material management. Katana does a great job of this with the bonus of syncing with Xero and Shopify. It is not a complex system and simple for my small business.

Cons: Katana is quite basic with what you can record for your products and materials. It would be great if there was more ability to add custom fields ( supplier SKUs, Drawing number references etc). Also some ability to customize purchase order and sales order format would be a good improvement. To be able to add a suppliers sku to a PO would be very valuable.

by Katana MRP on 08/06/2020

Thank you for sharing your feedback!

• Reviewed on 31/05/2020
Winston D.
COO
  • Reviewed on 23/01/2020

"Katana"

Comments: Katana have changed how we look at our stock management as well as our manufacturing.
A lot of the small important things were neglected in the past like wastage management. We can know give the subcontractor near accurate qty's and amounts of what was wasted on a batch.
Overall visibillity of the stock as well as the manufacturing process have improved.
We are very happy with the overall functionality of Katana.

Pros: The fact that Katana is always available and so easy to navigate with saves time.
Our requests for new features like back order handling, serial number tracking and multi currency and warehousing some of them already implemented and some coming soon.
The fact that we response fairly quickly on questions that we have submitted.

Cons: It was probably moving over from a well known package like Pastel Evolution to something not familiar to me; but the transition was seamless.

by Katana MRP on 24/01/2020

Happy to hear your feedback and that the transition has gone well!

• Reviewed on 23/01/2020
Tommy S.
Food & Beverages, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/05/2020

"Katana is a must-have for all startups that handle inventory and their own production."

Comments: Setting up an entire supply chain with little or no experience can be difficult, but Katana has made it straight forward. We've not only learned to control our production much better, but we also managed to improve from the understanding we gained.

Pros: If you use Shopify, than you can easily integrate and sync with Katana. As a very valuable side-effect we got a MUCH better understanding of the overall production activities and their cost. Katana also helps you with reminders of when to purchase certain items in order to keep your delivery dates.

Cons: As someone who have not been in control of production and inventory before, I would have appreciated a free trial that where 4 weeks and not 2 weeks. That said, we asked for some extra time and we got a longer test period.

Liz S.
Finance Specialist
  • Reviewed on 29/05/2020

"Great software with helpful support"

Comments: We like being able to track our inventory with live allocation of our raw materials, and the moving average cost calculations are an added bonus. This software helps bridge the gap between Quickbooks and raw material consumption without the need for a full-scale ERP.

Pros: This program is easy to implement and is very intuitive and user friendly. We ran into a few hiccups at the beginning and the support team was very responsive and helpful in helping us remedy our issues.

Cons: There is a limit in the number of SKUs that the software can support - we were able to find a workaround, but ideally the system will support 200,000+ SKUs in the future.

by Katana MRP on 08/06/2020

Thank you for your review!

• Reviewed on 29/05/2020