15 years helping Australian businesses

About Mattermost

Open source team communication platform that provides organizations with messaging and file-sharing tools for web, PCs, and mobiles.

Learn more about Mattermost

Pros:

Self Hosted, easy to use and implement on our own servers.

Cons:

Since one of the more recent versions, they've altered a couple of shortcuts. One of these means I can no longer type an @-sign, making mentioning people rather difficult.

Mattermost ratings

4.5
4.3
4.2
4.6

8.4/10

Mattermost has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 157 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Mattermost before?

Jander
Jander
Project Manager in Brazil
Higher Education, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Facilitate communication with your team

Comments: Mattermost helps us a lot in communicating with the team.
We can communicate with different teams and different projects.
The tool has become essential for a good performance of projects.

Pros:

Communication with channels, private or public; Individual communication; Integration with other solutions: Gitlab, for example; Possibility of using plugins.

Cons:

Some bugs in notifications sometimes make us miss messages; Plugins do not work in the mobile app;

Information Technology & Services, 201–500 Employees

Mattermost: Self-Hosted Superior Alternative To Slack

Comments: Mattermost allows us to quickly keep connected to our colleagues across the world. It allows people to form groups and chat easily to many different teams, all within the same desktop app, web app, or mobile app.

Pros:

This software is very easy to install and supports a simple Docker install, which makes it easy to keep up to date and secure. There are multiple examples on installing and running Mattermost in different cloud hosting environments, and the user community is also very helpful. Running the software locally means you can keep a much better eye on its security and usage. Its user management and directory integration is superior to Slack's. The desktop and mobile clients are fast and easy to install/configure/maintain.

Cons:

There's not much that I dislike about Mattermost. Its open source nature may put some people off, but paid support and enterprise licensing solve that issue immediately.

Monika
Chief Accountant in US
Management Consulting, 2–10 Employees

Mattermost Boost Performance via BPA

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Availability of BIM, BPA, team collaboration, file sharing and remote work tools in one place is what I like most.

Cons:

Mattermost video conferencing capabilities requires to be boosted with external apps via third-party services integration.

Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Mattermost user for more than 2 years -- here's my review

Pros:

1. If you like a free messaging tool for your team, Mattermost might be for you. It is like a knock-off version of Slack. 2. It has a mobile app that can be accessed both in PlayStore and AppStore. 3. I love its customized emoji functionality! You can also react to each reply so it is very desirable for me. 4. Even though it is free, your messages do not expire and be auto-deleted, unlike in Slack -- I love this feature.

Cons:

1. Reply functionality is a bit of a hassle because your replies tend to be a little bit scattered, unlike in Slack where it is more neat and organized.

Ewa
Marketing Team Lead in Canada
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

Internal Communication Matters Most in Every Organization

Pros:

Mattermost has a mobile application which I use on a daily basis to send files and collaborate vi a instant messaging.

Cons:

To conference through video calls it requires to be integrated with external apps.

Mateusz
Business Analyst in Poland
Sporting Goods, 51–200 Employees

An excellent messaging alternative

Comments: We moved a large team of users in a very short time. Since we only need the communicator 99% of the time for communication between users, we reduced the cost of paying for another tool by 96%. With a similar look and functionality to other instant messengers, the transition was quick and painless. The team very quickly implemented and accepted the new tool.

Pros:

Convenience of installation, practically free for most users, quick and easy implementation, very similar in appearance and functionality to top messengers, so it is very easy to move even a large group of users. Works fast and does not consume a lot of memory. Lots of add-ons and plug-ins being developed.

Cons:

A few UX issues, but not significantly affecting the user experience. For example: No ability to search for users directly from the search bar, no preview of more than 1 image file, no internal media player, linking to YouTube instead of playing right away.

John Adam
Sales Representative in Philippines
Consumer Electronics, 51–200 Employees

Mattermost Awesome

Comments: So far matter most is doing what we expect it to deliver tat is makes our job easier.

Pros:

Matter most is a daily tool vital for our comms at work especially since our setup is work from home.

Cons:

Since mattermost is new I don't see and difficulties using it

Fernando
Fernando
COO in Spain
Computer Software, 11–50 Employees

Awesome colaboration tool

Comments: We use mattermost for team communication in presencial and remote job. We change from mail communication to chat communication

Pros:

Main features for us: easy use, on site option, boards and channels and easy API

Cons:

I would like Mattermost has better video and call options

Ana
Scrum Master in Finland
Computer Software, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Good collaborative tool

Comments: It is good collaborative tool as alternative to slack.

Pros:

I like how easy is to use and allows different "rooms" for collaboration for teams. It is a great tool for fast daily communication.

Cons:

Not much that I didn't like but I have been using for so long different products so habbit of using and switching to it was a tricky part. Maybe lack of 3ed party connection to tools.

Nsogbu
Assistant Hatchery and Early Stage Manager in UK
Farming, 501–1,000 Employees

Mattermost is a Robust Slack Alternative

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Real-time audio and video conferencing. File sharing online.

Pros:

Mattermost gives me the ability to send large files online, enhance internal communications and conference via video calls.

Cons:

There’s no daunting aspect on Mattermost at the moment.

Adam
Code monkey / Bot farmer in UK
Computer Software, 2–10 Employees

Switched to Mattermost after using Slack extensively, but got sick of the 10000 message limit

Comments: A platform to discuss issues and feature ideas around our open source project, without cluttering up the threads on github. A great way to stay in touch with devs from all around the world.

Pros:

That we can host it ourselves, for one. We used to use the free tier of slack, but quickly discovered that the message limit was causing issues when we needed to recall conversations had in the past. It's been relatively hassle-free in getting it set up, and the whole team love it! One or two of us (myself included) were inspired to brush up on some of our coding skills when we discovered it didn't quite have the integrations that slack did, and as such have learned a lot about how Mattermost is put together, and how to create bots to get the information we need via webhooks. The Mattermost developers and community at large have been very helpful in answering questions when we've come up against issues, and I have even got a couple of my integrations featured on the integrations page of their website!

Cons:

Really, not a whole lot. Ideally I would like to be able to sign into multiple slack servers from the mobile app (though, the native app has really come along in leaps and bounds recently). The only thing I miss from the Slack days is a sidebar/widget that tells you the local times of the other users (handy when working with folk from overseas!), though we have recently developed our own slash command to return this information, it would be nice if it was built in to the server. I should probably feed this back to the devs.... ;)

Viorel-Cosmin
CTO in Czechia
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Our day with Mattermost

Comments: We solve the need to have a Support/Chat/Client support software, with this we have it all in one.
It helped us keep communications across teams and countries painless.
Integrated with all entire ecosystem from Taiga.io to Gitlab for a better DevOps experience.
Overall every chance we had to contribute we toke it, thats why we decided to fully translate mattermost in Romanian language, do we did.
If you need a centralized devops collaborative platform, give it a try!

Pros:

One executable binary, simple to upgrade and maintain! Reliable self hosted alternative to other SaaS PaaS options. Cross-platform applications ready to use. Amazing open source community built around the product, friendly and helpful people!

Cons:

It requires integration directory to allow users app deployment in mattermost ecosystem with ease. A bot repository is missing, this can fir next to all others apps and allow users automatic deployments of any apps from the store. Store idea is not a new concept, and a company that respects themselves should make use of own repository. Allow users to safely deploy tested and 100% working apps along their Mattermost instance.

Banking, 10,000+ Employees

Great for communication and to stay connected.

Comments: It is a great experience just that call options are not possible yet.

Pros:

The best thing about mattermost is it has minimal crashed unlike Skype and here we can create groups and have the groups without the need to create the groups again and again. Also personal chats are possible. Anybody can join a group with an invitation. this is very useful in cases like a organization has a support group and all employees added to that group and communication is reachable to all the members. There is no limit for members in the group. A member can leave or join the group as required. Groups can be made private or public.

Cons:

The only concern is mattermost doesn't have calling option.. this is the only drawback. Would be great if calling is enabled.

Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Better than Slack

Comments: Apart from the shortcut breaking the @-mentioning on my AZERTY keyboard, mattermost is a fantastic tool.

Pros:

The ability to add many channels, with/without passwords, as and when needed. Combining multiple servers with separate usersets.

Anjali
Anjali
Sr. Software Engineer in India

User friendly Software, like it.

Pros:

I am using this software from last 1year and the experience is amazing. This software provides great features and it is so user friendly. You get used to it very soon and you will definitely like it. The channels, individual notifications and maintaining the history of messages and not losing them 2weeks upfront like other communcation channels differs it from other softwares. Chat options, the emojis all the perfect. The integrations with 3rd party tools is also so easy and smooth. We used this as major communication channel between offshore and onshore team and we have teamcity integrations for build success/failure messages. It integrated so well.

Cons:

Personally i like it, i don't find any issue with this software. It is just few softwares more overrated and people prefer those. But believe me this one is if you get used to it will never let you switch to some other communication channel.

Bennett
Director of Operations in US
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Instant Messaging and Live Chat Platform

Comments: Team management, internal communication and bug tracking are at par with this tool always.

Pros:

Mattermost boost internal communication via creation of unlimited communications channels in one single repository.

Cons:

I have been using Mattermost for an extended duration now and I rarely encounter challenges whenever I turn to it.

Adam
mgr in US
Internet, 501–1,000 Employees

I don't know what I'd do without Mattermost

Comments: tool is great, and from this users perspective is a fine alternative to slack.

Pros:

It's very easy to use, and as far as I can tell works alot like slack. I'm not sure if it has as many plug-in options but that's not something I'd use anyway. Great for team collaboration and general communication.

Cons:

I get LONG LISTS of rooms and chats and there is no easy way to search for people aside fom doing a control-f. I can search within chats, but I think it needs to be easier to search FOR chats

Graphic Design, 2–10 Employees

BIM Program of 2023

Comments: Real-time file sharing.Team collab.Business instant messaging.

Pros:

Mattermost boost internal and external communication through creation of unlimited communication channels.

Cons:

At the moment, Mattermost has no bugs and accomplishes all my daily needs.

, 11–50 Employees

Easy to use, easy to setup and easy to maintain.

Comments: Complete control on our data. We also finally centralized all our communication and standardized it. No more private message, group private message and all that mess. Lastly, we have couple of our product that are using incoming webhook to push important notifications.

Pros:

easy to use S3 backend Good support of different databases Quite easy to configure for the different needs of a company I love the threaded reply, make it so much easier to follow multiple threads in the same channel. Mobile notifications are quite useful Mobile native app was quite welcomed, the previous one wasn't up to standard

Cons:

some glitch in the mobile applications Weird marketing decisions on which feature goes in which package Can't see how many private channels are present (as the administrator of the server)

valerian
telemarketing group member in Georgia
Telecommunications, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Easy way for communications

Comments: Overall Mattermost is very convenient for me. I have access from my android phone as well. so i can chat with colegues from anywhere. This is important for me.

Pros:

Mattermost is easy to use. It helps me rapidly contact colegues, chat with them and so fix problems. i can easily share files. i use it daily. it simplifies my work a lot.

Cons:

To be honest, i don't like user interface. it seems boring for me.

Pat
Manager in US

Great self-hosted alternative to Slack.

Pros:

Matter most lets you own your own data. Self-host Mattermost means not letting a third-party control what actually matters in a chat open. The open dvevelopment model gives insight into the upcoming relase cycle, see if others have solved integration issues that you may be attempting, file bug reports and follow the progress in fixing or even contributing a fix back yourself.

Cons:

Mattermost still has some rough edges regarding their mobile clients. The new native app is definitely better than the previous web-view one though.

zakaria
telemarketing in Georgia
Telecommunications, 1,001–5,000 Employees

makes communication more joyful

Comments: despite it being little more harder to use, it's more enjoyable sometimes all you need after hard day at work is funny co worker sending some hilarious gif.

Pros:

the main think i like in Mattermost is design it feels lighter, it makes me feel happy, emojis are great way to impress and make communication more informal, also ability to use gifs is one of most useful features

Cons:

compared to other communicators i used it feels little bit harder to use, its easy nothing very difficult but it feels like i need some extra effort to find person and use direct messaging.

Internet, 201–500 Employees

Great tool for internal communication / discussion

Pros:

Mattermost is my go-to tool when you want to discuss something with colleagues. Ability to create public/private channels and send private messages both work nice and easy.

Cons:

No so great for file sharing and doesn't work as a discussion tool outside your organisation.

Luc
System administrator in France

Mattermost just works seamlessly, does the job and more.

Pros:

The ability of Mattermost to detect that you paste an image URL and display the image without getting out of Mattermost, and the fetching of Oembed/Opengraph/whatever data of URLs, providing summary of pages. And the extendability with hooks.

Cons:

Well, sometimes, I can't find the message I'm looking for with the research feature, but it surely is caused by bad search terms. Putting flags on important messages helps not loosing them.

Renjith
Architect in India

Amazing Team Collaboration

Pros:

So intuitive interface and so less clutter. The teams love mattermost for many things, integrations, easy to use interface, stability of the software.

Cons:

1. The ability for anyone to delete a channel. 2. Lack of SAML support for team edition