• Overall

About Jamf Pro

A complete Mobile Device Management solution for IT pros to simplify the deployment, inventory, and security of Apple devices.

Learn more about Jamf Pro

Lennart S.
IT-Administrator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/05/2019

"Best management framework to manage Macs"

Pros: Jamf Pro is a management framework to manage Macs. You can do a lot with it. If you're able to script, then only the sky is the limit. I really like the GUI. Its very organised and easy to use. This framework has a lot of options you can use for managing your Macs.

Cons: You have to do a lot of customising. What comes out of the box is just basic management of Macs.
Patch management is a wonderful thing, however the options you have to install these patches is pretty basic and not very useful.

• Reviewed on 09/05/2019
Darrell A.
Mac Administrator
Architecture & Planning, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/08/2017

"Great! Easy to use for both admin and users."

Comments: Just the ease to manage hardware and software and the ability to remote onto Macs. I work in a Windows environment so having JAMF really keeps things organized and manageable for my mac and mac users.

Pros: Self Service. Having that available for users to download and manage their macs, helps a lot in managing hardware and software.

Cons: Cost. It is pricey for the amount of users that we have (30 or so) but I still think it is necessary. I am the mac admin and my office is in Seattle and 98% of the mac users are in Portland. So having JAMF is key for me to manage hardware, software and all the mac users.

• Reviewed on 02/08/2017
Elliot K.
Director Of Technology
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/04/2019

"JAMF Is The Best MDM Out There For Apple Devices"

Pros: - Excellent management of iOS devices due to their cozy relationship with Apple and their almost singular focus on iOS in the early stages of Casper's development
- Can run on both Windows and MacOS servers without a problem (we run on windows)
- Uses Open standardsTomcat and MySQL as their back-end
- They update JAMF pro on a very regular basis and keep it very current with Apple's new functionality
- Their tech support is consistently responsive and helpful

Cons: - Very expensive per-device licensing and the device count tiers are quite wide before you get a price break Database does not scale well beyond several thousand devices (engineer confirmed this to me)
- Noticeably slower admin interface once you cross a certain device count threshold
- Not very good with integrating/customizing AD schema to JAMF for inventory purposes

• Reviewed on 24/04/2019
DevOps Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/03/2019

"I love Jamf Pro"

Comments: We used to manage some twenty Mac (desktop and MBP) with Jamf Pro on a previous role for my former employer and Jamf Pro made our lives so easy! Sure, lots of the stuff can be achieved through SSH and remote control, but truth is that when you need to have lots of Mac in top shape for the company employees, Jamf easily cuts down the time needed to administer them to 1/5.

Pros: - Managing multiple Mac systems is as easy as saying 1, 2, 3
- Easy and fast agent installation over network
- Useful dashboard with all the metrics you need
- Easy to learn, you'll be up and ready in a blink of an eye

Cons: - I wasn't the one that made the call to buy this solution, so I'm not sure of how much does it cost to my company; however, I was told that it isn't cheap
- Nothing else I can think of

• Reviewed on 06/03/2019
Aditya R.
Remote Systems Engineer
Entertainment, 1,001-5,000 Employees

"JAMF review Aditya Rao"

Comments: Support is amazing and always helpful, They guided us on call, chat and even on remote sessions as well which is exceptional service.

Pros: User Friendly, The GUI is very nice and gives exact results, reports, we can use this for patch management system, Very good tool for centralised management and remote management.

Cons: It depends on the organisational usage, We were using BMC as the tool to control over macs which was very difficult for us to manage remotely, for patch management and remoting into systems, maintaining asset inventory and exporting the reports , which is more easier in JAMF we can run scripts policies , smart groups all these are exceptionally well developed we can do remote enrolment to manage remote machines.

District Instructional Technology Coach
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2019

"Great MDM for iPads"

Pros: We use Jamf Pro to manage the 1:1 iPads in our district. I like that the company is responsive to our needs and is there to help us in a crisis. I also like the degree of control we have over our iPads. We are able to lock out unwanted apps or features. We are also able to reduce the time it takes to provision new iPads for students.

Cons: I wish we would receive a clearer message about when and how we should upgrade our Jamf Pro server. The upgrades come out, but we are advised not to update. This is understandable, but we don't receive a followup on when to update. This is more of an annoyance than a con.

• Reviewed on 20/03/2019
Product Owner - Devices
Broadcast Media
  • Reviewed on 24/10/2017

"Great experiences with Jamf over the past few years but there are quality issues creeping in"

Pros: The best in class MDM management that allows us to get really creative with how we serve our user base. The API is flexible and allows our developers to use Jamf in collaboration with a number of other tools.

Cons: Quality control around recent releases, where the push to meet new Apple functionality seems to come at the expense of function of existing features. A more robust test and release process is needed. Feature requests can languish for a long time with seemingly no traction. The Self Service app until the Jamf 10 preview wasn't a great user experience. Configuration profiles are clunky when they offer multiple options and can disable features accidentally.

• Reviewed on 24/10/2017
Joe P.
Linux Systems Adminstrator
Higher Education, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/08/2020

"MDM/EMM Standard for Apple Users"

Comments: Going from no control to almost complete control of our Apple products have kept us in compliance. Anytime there is question about security or patching, it's easy to find and deliver.

Pros: This product allows me to easily deploy and control almost everything needed on Apple Products. You can deploy scripts and customized software as well as create Extension Attributes for specific things. There is not much you cannot do with this product. There are consistent updates that are always adding and improving the product and UI.

Cons: I feel like the setup and initial learning curve was a little rocky but once running there hasn't been much of an issue.

Dana D.
Computer Technician
Education Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/10/2018

"JAMF Pro for all things Apple"

Comments: We have several MacBook Pros that needed to be managed, including pushing out software, printers, etc. It was a fantastic resource for our staff who aren't admins of their devices to be able to get them what they needed.

Pros: I LOVE the ease of this product when needing to manage a large number of Apple Devices. I also think that they have a wonderful user conference, and great community that are very willing to share trials, tribulations and triumphs. Classes to get certified are great and those leading them are knowledgeable and thorough.

Cons: I don't like all of the changes with managing iPads year after year and the difficulty there was transitioning when they were first able to "managed", however, I believe that was mostly Apple's fault, not the fault of JAMF.

• Reviewed on 16/10/2018
Director Of Administration
Education Management, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/05/2020

"Easy iPad Management"

Comments: Easy to setup - Easy to use - Intuitive and Extremely Agile

Pros: Jampf Pro makes it easy for our school to deploy, track, and manage a sustainable fleet of Apple products. Its Self-Service app management catalog makes it easy to install and push out apps based on users and control iOS updates remotely without having to collect and manually update managed devices. Control of the products remains within the IT department and enables high-level security settings to ensure safe usage of the device.

Cons: I love the Jamf Pro software and wish that it was a more universal device management system that went beyond just Apple products. It is a pain point within or organization to have utilize multiple device management systems due to different hardware.

• Reviewed on 22/05/2020
Jesse S.
Apple Systems Administrator
Telecommunications, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/09/2017

"Best MDM we've used, and the price is just right!"

Comments: Automation, reduced workload, more chances to be Proactive versus reactive, valuable work experience.

Pros: What we can do is near limitless. The automation is something we are still working on, but for a business thats entering the enterprise world, this is an absolute must before things get out of hand. We started using Jamf while we were still only 300+ employees, and now we are coming up on 700, and having the data on all our macs in one spot is awesome. Now that we can make the worry of deployments a thing of the past, it gives me time to work on being PROACTIVE, versus REACTIVE.

Cons: Because the software can do so much, I'm sometimes surprised at the things it can't do. Example. when Prestages get changed from one MDM server to another on accident, you lose your entire scope. Luckily, the customer service is great, and we were able to recover data. Just a shame that it lost the data in the first place. and that I couldn't recover it on my own with built in methods.

Network Support Specialist
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/04/2019

"Makes Managing Apple a Breeze"

Comments: Overall the product has allowed us to deploy approximately 2000 ipads to various elementary schools with very little issue. We are able to nearly have a zero-touch deployment with them which saves us on man hours. We have been able to roll this out with a very small team, and Jamf allows us to lock down the iPads for our education environment with ease. Support has been a solid when we have had issues and can't recommend it more. You won't be disappointed.

Pros: Well rounded with many features. It integrated well with Apples School Manager product and allows us to pull in student data to it. Makes our 1:1 environment easy to manage and a lot less stressful.

Cons: The one major con for us has been its reporting features. It does have the ability to give you a lot of information, but it is not intuitive nor user friendly when creating reports. Perhaps some canned pre-made reports would be advised.

• Reviewed on 02/04/2019
Scott F.
Systems Administrator
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2020

"Long Time User, First Time Reviewer"

Comments: When I arrived at my current position at Coe College, the IT department had no idea how many Apple devices they had, who had purchased what, and where they were located. JAMF Pro has helped me make huge strides in creating a database that contains all of that info.

Pros: I love how I have the entire campus inventory at my finger tips and I can create policies that extended workflows for the entire population or just a small portion. I have enjoyed seeing how this product has evolved since my days as a Casper user.

Cons: I wish JAMF Pro could provide a more automated way of doing software security updates like in years past. I feel like this is one area that has kind of been lagging behind.

Sean S.
IT Support Tech
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2019

"Could not do my job without this tool"

Comments: We manage 350 users with two help desk people. This is only possible with JAMF.

Pros: Whenever I have a need, it seems that JAMF has the tools in place for me to come up with a solution. We can essentially do whatever we need to do for our Apple users with JAMF. People think it's magic that we can remotely install customized software builds for them instantaneously. Users are blown away when they walk into my office and without touching their computer I can tell them the last time they restarted, or how much hard disk space they have left. This is an insanely powerful set of tools which we use daily, and without it we'd need to hire more IT staff to manage the workload!

Cons: I honestly can't think of any. If anything, JAMF is so powerful that I know that there are features that I'm not tapping into!

• Reviewed on 26/03/2019
Emily K.
Systems Engineer
Retail, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 02/10/2017

"I've been working with Jamf products for 4+ years"

Comments: We use it to manage 2000+ Macs. I can't imagine being able to do our job and offer first-class support to our Mac population without it.

Pros: I love how Jamf leverages native Apple technology, services, resources, and features to best manage Apple devices. User Experience has improved greatly and looks like it'll be even better with version 10 launching later this year.

Cons: I think the biggest holdup for Jamf products right now, for me and my priorities, are how configuration profiles are built and applied using the GUI. A lot of funky stuff happens when you have payloads split across different profiles, and Jamf's MDM doesn't seem to be able to create profiles with only the settings you want applied and not other things in other tabs. It's cause a lot of headache for a lot of admins not having considerations like this well-documented somewhere. It falls a lot on the community to sort out the intricacies.

• Reviewed on 02/10/2017
Jax W.
Solutions Engineer
  • Reviewed on 01/10/2018

"The best for Apple device management"

Comments: It is the best out there for Apple MDMs. That said, the field is still pretty bad. Not all of the issues are with Jamf, as Apple has certainly bungled a few things, like Apple School Manager. But if you're committed to the Apple way of life, Jamf is absolutely the only way to go, and has certainly made things easier on me since we switched from a competitor.

Pros: It does everything you need it to in terms of managing whatever you buy from Apple, with a focus on as much automation for mass deployment as possible. Since they focus on Apple, they have all the latest features available as soon as possible.

Cons: When things break, they can break badly, and a lot of solutions involve running command line scripts and requesting service restarts from support, so if you aren't willing to dig into these sorts of things, it might be difficult for you when support gives you this type of solution. Also, their marketing can be very deceptive, with their analysis on costs phrased as to make apples-to-oranges comparisons and obfuscate their competition's benefits.

• Reviewed on 01/10/2018
Susan R.
IT Analyst II
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees

"Jamf Review"

Comments: Jamf is everything I hoped it would be, and much, much more. I always highly recommend it to anyone who works with Macs.

Pros: I love that Jamf handles everything Mac related from pre-stage deployment to pushing updates to reporting. Jamf has simplified everything that I do in my job & I rarely have to touch machines anymore. I love that we were able to implement a system to get machines from pre-stage to named, bound to AD & authenticated with 802.1x in a matter or 2 minutes, that is my absolute favorite thing as even doing it by manually I had issue - but I don't anymore.

Cons: There is nothing I don't like, a couple of features I'd love to see implemented but Jamf continues to listen to their customers & update features all the time. We did have a bit of a time getting it to work in our environment with the restrictions on our network & the fact we cannot sync with LDAP, but we figured it out during training & it was no fault of Jamf.

Mike B.
IT Manager
Marketing & Advertising, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/10/2018

"A partner and software and training that gives my staff super powers."

Comments: We are able to secure, provision, manage and support Mac users 24/7 and around the globe with this tool. We estimate we save 15 technicians and 8 full time support engineers and can use that funding and time to take on projects the business needs rather than manually managing our infrastructure and application suite. This is a massive difference in ability and why I feel JAMF gives my staff super powers to do more with less and raise the quality of our support all the while.

Pros: Jamf Pro is so powerful and simple and focused on letting us succeed, it's in a class of its own.
We've been in production for 6 years with major staff turnover and this company has continued to support us despite many chances where we might have dropped the ball. Professional services, quality of the code and stability of the platform are major factors that have made it successful in our specific challenging environment.

Cons: There is no downside we have faced. Release cycle is faster than we need, training and communications are above par for SAAS and functionality and value makes it a must renew each time we renew and re-evaluate MDM solutions.

• Reviewed on 25/10/2018
Philip B.
IT MAnager, Endpoint Services
Higher Education, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/08/2020

"World Class Product- Gold Standard for Mac Management"

Comments: Extremely please with the product, the features, the support and the cost. I would definitely recommend to anyone who was planning to invest in a Mac management tool.

Pros: When we were evaluating management tools for our environment, we quickly came to the conclusion that there was not a one size fits all solution. Once we realized that, every other institution we contacted asked if we had looked at Jamf yet. Once we started looking at the product, the ease of use, the feature set, and the features that allowed us to customize the end user experience, we knew that this was the only product we could use. Jamf customer support has been great from the initial install, transition to cloud, upgrades and general support questions.

Cons: Local server upgrades. During the time we had our own on site server, we performed upgrade. Most of the time they went OK, but it was a complicated process with many pitfalls, and seemed, on some occasions, to require a fair amount of pure wizardry. This is was generated most of my support calls with Jamf.

Craig H.
Senior Infrastructure Engineer
Education Management, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/09/2017

"Good Product, Good Experience"

Comments: The ability to manage a fleet of MacOS and iOS devices.

Pros: Jamf Pro works really well for managing a fleet of MacOS and iOS devices. The management console is easy to navigate and the feature set is clear. The ability to segregate administrators by using Sites is a nice feature for us. Integration with Apple's services is quite good and easy to maintain. We split our infrastructure across multiple hosts (database on one machine, a management point is on one host, the managed devices on another) is key for us. Also nice that the infrastructure runs on multiple OSes, we run ours on RHEL.

Cons: The issue was related to communication and to bug checking during an update. One update broke access to Active Directory based security groups. This broke many of our workflows for distributed administrators. Customer support was good for initial triage, but follow-up communication was poor. The issue was fixed in two later updates but we were not told that the issue was fixed. We thought it had been fixed but we had to call Jamf and explicitly ask for confirmation. Would have been nice if Jamf had proactively followed up on a support case to let us know the problem was resolved.

Arthur B.
Mac Admin
Government Administration, 1,001-5,000 Employees

"Best in Class"

Comments: Excellent IT tools. The community Jamf have created around their products is second to none. Jamf Pro has helped my career immensely.

Pros: Jamf Pro is far and away the best product I have used to manage Apple computers in an enterprise environment. Its easy to use, the learning curve is short. Jamf Pro is reliable and powerful. There's a reason it has become the industry standard for Apple device management.
Support from Jamf and from the Jamf Nation community is second to none. I know if I have a problem I can turn to Jamf Support or Jamf Nation for help finding a solution.

Cons: I would like to see a more customizable, dynamic GUI. I would like to be able to dynamically drag around items in the Dashboard. Clicking on items to remove them from view in the Dashboard would also be very helpful for cleanup and organization.
I would also like to see better effort in improving Patch Management.

Teddy W.
Infrastructure Specialist
Insurance, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2020

"One Stop Shop for Managing all Apple based Devices"

Comments: Very satisfied. Coming from a 100% windows experience myself I wasn't sure what to expect, but the remote Jump Start option (paid for seperately) is worth the $ if you want to get started on time and properly. The only thing is come prepared with questions, as the jumpstart is more of a "This is what a Jamf admin would do" and not "Here let me set this up for you".
Otherwise this checks all the boxes from a compliance, security, and usability perspective and we are very happy to have replaced Intune with Jamf Pro for MacOS.

Pros: 1. The features are very robust, and development announcements are released very frequently
2. Some of the more straight forward features and policies are very easy to implement for even junior admins
3. Cloud based availability enables lean shops with no on-premise capabilities to get started
4. Custom scripting available for the more advanced admins
5. Decent reporting and auditability. Haven't investigated reporting/metrics with 3rd party solutions but simple reachs indicates this is possible or being worked on

Cons: 1. The UX is horrendous, and for someone that doesn't live and breathe the solution it becomes hard to find certain items when I need it
2. Flushing errors can be more intuitive, they did implement auto-rerun on failed policies just recently so hopefully that improves things

• Reviewed on 22/09/2020
Dwayne B.
Desktop Analyst
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2020

"Great MDM solution for macOS"

Comments: Overall we have had a positive experience. We only manage our macOS devices at this time, and are really still just getting systems on boarded, but it has been great so far.

Pros: The ease of use. We have been looking for an MDM solution for our Apple products for a while and JAMF provides full support for all Apple products. It was fairly easy to hit the ground running with the on site setup.

Cons: So far I haven't found anything that I don't like. I guess least favourite might be that some outdated things still show up as available such as Imaging.

Andrew C.
IT Support
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/10/2019

"Best Management Software on the Market!"

Pros: This software allows you to manage several computers as well as iPads from it's friendly user interface. We've implemented it successfully in our schools (over 20 locations) and it is a tremendous help. We've been able to use this software to deploy programs and applications without having to hand install them on multiple computers/iPads..it's a HUGE time saver.

Cons: There really isn't too much to not like about this software. Their support team is friendly/knowledgeable, they stand by their product, and it is easy to use.

• Reviewed on 17/10/2019
Daniel S.
Customer Success Manager
Individual & Family Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/09/2019

"the best MDM for Apple devices"

Comments: using to manage multiple iPads at multiple locations and keep software up to date

Pros: Works seamlessly with Apple devices and software, easy to deploy, easy to manage multiple devices in multiple locations.

Cons: a little difficult to learn, if you've never used an MDM before, but it's not too bad once you get it set up

• Reviewed on 27/09/2019