• Overall
    4.4/5

About Backlog

Project & code management, together at last. Plan work, track progress, and release code right in Backlog for all-in-one collaboration.

Learn more about Backlog

Ivan B.
Managing Consultant
  • Reviewed on 30/10/2018

"backlog.com better than many "Goliath" systems"

Comments: We use backlog.com as overall tracking and project management tool for our projects, support tasks and maintenance activities that we provide to our customer. We selected backlog.com after evaluating many other tools (like Jira, Pivotal tracker etc.) and backlog.com became the clear winner. Why ? Because this tool combine together the best features of all other tool while still being neat and straightforward. Backlog.com has been proving it at our daily use for 1 year approximately. Well done. Thank you.

Pros: neat design supporting easy of use
all necessary functions available on-click
excellent for agile approach
clear and easy administration of projects, people etc.
integration with email and MS Excel (exports)
subtasking
no-time to get started and leverage the tool by users
fast and responsive design
standalone application for iOS

Cons: nothing essential
maybe more storage space included in plans
better numbering of subtasks (to include number of parent issue)

• Reviewed on 30/10/2018
Jim H.
Application Engineer
Logistics & Supply Chain, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2019

"Great Collaboration Software"

Comments: UI is easy to use. Issues are clearly tracked. Robust attachment management. Email notifications are effective and clear. Icon personalization is a nice touch.

Pros: I'm solving problems related to software design and development. We work across different time zones, and BackLog is great for our international projects. In conjunction with realtime collaborative software, we are able to use BackLog for high-level project organization.

Cons: Working with the smartphone app is not as useful since the browser version is so well designed. Also unwieldy at times when flipping between different projects. No realtime chat. Wish there were more markdown options for formatting.

• Reviewed on 14/08/2019
Miguel F.
  • Reviewed on 18/12/2018

"Well designed and extremely easy to use"

Comments: Tracking software issues across a dispersed organization. Worked great!

Pros: Intuitive software that you can use without instruction. Upon sign-on immediately see what has recently happened and easy to click on items needing your attention. Great way to organize and collaborate on issues with a diverse team in different locations.

Cons: Not much I didn't like. Perhaps the ability to add a custom field or a more fine-grained priority field (Low, Medium, High) so as to make sure people are looking next at the most pressing issue.

• Reviewed on 18/12/2018
Đặng H.
QA
  • Reviewed on 11/02/2019

"Backlog need to be changed and improved"

Comments: Sorry but the truth is inconvenience for me. I hope Backlog can do more for me and my project.
I can't have the statistics I want at Home, I can't see overall my project ...
I Hope Backlog can be developed and help us more in the future.

Pros: The color of issue can be changed, I can customize the characteristics of issue for each project.

Cons: when I filter all issue of project , it shows parents issue and sub-issue. If I click on the arrow, which is head of parent issue, Backlog shows all of sub-issue of that parent issue, which are showed before. So many issues are showed twice. It can make me confused.
I think Backlog shoud list parent issue and issue has no parent issue. About issue has parent issue, you can hide and when user click on the arrow, it can be showed.

Scientist
Pharmaceuticals, 10,001+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/08/2019

"Easy to learn quality program"

Comments: Overall excellent app for a great cost that your team has control over. You get to pay for the level your team will use without the burden of overwhelming excess features. Definitely recommend.

Pros: I've been trying out a lot of project management software lately and I think Backlog is a strong contender among them. It's quick to learn and the UI is sleek and appealing. It has all the essential features for project tracking and coordination. I liked the inclusion of the Wiki as well, and I like the tiered subscription model they use, making it easy to find a level of feature availability that suites your team's needs.

Cons: There isn't anything major that stands out. There's room for more options and features (more specificity in the prioritization area, maybe) but it has all the essentials from what I can tell.

• Reviewed on 25/08/2019
Software Engineer
Computer Software, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 20/08/2019

"Free but functional"

Comments: I'm very happy working with Backlog tool. Email notifications are insanely useful for tracking changes.

Pros: It works well for small projects; it covers (probably) all features you may want to use and it is free for a team like my own.

Cons: No Cons, honestly. For this price it is impossible to find any ;)

• Reviewed on 20/08/2019
Eric P.
Postdoctoral Researcher
Research, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/07/2019

"A great app for any work with an active team"

Comments: We work in a research project for Artificial Intelligence in Games.

Pros: I really like the fact, this is easy to add some issues and to follow any kind of problem. This is also really easy to assign an issue to someone.

Cons: The different kinds of priority are not enough, that will be better to let the user define its own priority (high, normal and low are not enough sometimes to make the difference)

• Reviewed on 17/07/2019
Peter M.
Publishing, 13-50 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2018

"A great alternative ticketing system for teams"

Pros: We're using the basic plan and it provides us a great deal of flexibility for our teams. It allows us to keep track of items really easily and submit via email, etc is a breeze. Our users are finding it very easy to get into the system and are seeing quicker responses to their queries. Features of the system are great and what you would see in more expensive alternatives. Pricing per company is excellent compared to per seat as well.

Cons: Make sure you setup on the right plan to start your trial as you cannot change while you are on trial which is somewhat challenging if you setup a stack of work prior to your change. Apart from this support has been great when needed and the service runs quickly and smoothly.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 26/03/2018
Santhosh rao M.
Android Lead Developer
  • Reviewed on 26/09/2018

"Best Review Software"

Comments: I am able to fix my development issues easily with backlog. Thanks

Pros: I can easily found out my issues raised by tester.

Cons: Nothing found so far. If possible, provide web push notifications.

• Reviewed on 26/09/2018
Jennifer B.
Retail, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/07/2019

"Simple and Effective"

Comments: Backlog has helped us get a handle on our massive list of bugs and upcoming features.

Pros: It's simple, easy-to-use, and clean, while still having most of the features I want in a bug tracker.

Cons: There are some times I would like to be able to categorize tasks by custom parameters, which is not supported. Also I think the user limit for the free tier is a little restrictive.

• Reviewed on 09/07/2019
Hai N.
QA
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2018

"Some Uncomfortable"

Comments: Very good expect 2 thinks above

Pros: - Grantt chart and burndown chart..

Cons: 1. It's "Copy custom Fields From other Project" in [Project Settings] -> [Custom Field]
=> I dont know why "(※ Relation with issue types not copied)". It's very uncomfortable for me and someone manage like me.
=> Our Company have Standard Custom Field for all Project about 100 Custom FIled and some Custom Issue Type. When I Open the new Project , I just wanna Copy all Custom Field and Issue Type from Old Project.
But not like this, just copy Customfield and Availabes all Issue types. After that, I must to click 1 by 1 to fix, or delete. It's take many time from me. how long i will spent for fix that with 100 custom Field and Custom Issue Type????
Please think about that. and fix this
I just want to Copy all Custom Field + Issue Type from the old Project to New Project. and button delete all Custom Field
2. It's Add a Group of member to Old/Archive Project.
=> It's very hard. I have alrd 100+ project archive and click 1 by 1 to add a Group member. so bad.really bad.
Please add a Button add a Group of member to all Project or atleast let our choose list project to add.

• Reviewed on 17/12/2018
Daniel O.
COO
Internet, 13-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2017

"At first Backlog seems like a bit much but now our team could not function with out it."

Comments: Streamlined workflow and the ability to see who's accountable for what and where projects are. It's help us stay on track and keep projects under budget and on time.

Pros: It's task oriented without feeling like a burden. Other project management tools I've used feel like glorified lists but Backlog offers a lot more. Getting your team on board is difficult but the flow of using Backlog makes sense and came natural for us. We work 100% remotely so if it didn't work we would know right away something wasn't right.

Cons: For us, one of the strengths about Backlog is the integrations with Typetalk. We use both but I do with they were more tightly integrated. For example, simply using at mentions on Backlog. Messages from Backlog issues go to Typetalk and we use @username to create an alert on Typetalk at the same time. This might be particular to our team but it's really helpful. When I type (@) on a Backlog comment or description I want the list of usernames to show.

• Reviewed on 31/08/2017
Software Tester
  • Reviewed on 11/02/2019

"Excellent ,easy to adopt,easy to use"

Comments: We are using the Backlog tool on 2 projects with a total of c. 30 people involved. For one of those, it is used solely as an issue tracker. For the other one, it is used as the main tool for managing the project( keeping the track of backlog items, version, milestones, question, improvements....) Wiki is widely used for changelogs and manuals. Project documentation is stored in the Files section.
The whole team ( especially the upper management) is really satisfied with the tool and we will keep on using it for upcoming projects.
It also has gained some traction in the entire company so other teams are using it with the same results and satisfaction.

Pros: - easy to use
- Wiki functionality
- ability to add a custom category and issue types
- dashboard and recent activity
- search functionality works excellent
- support team

Cons: - lacks the ability to add custom status for issues (starter plan)
- mail notifications are sent to the assignees only, but not the one notified in the notify field

Deny P.
Unit Manager
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/02/2019

"Common software in Japanese Company"

Comments: I use this software maintaining the offshore project from Japan, this software mostly good, never hang or shut down, because this software conduct the maintenance after the office work. Overall this software is good for maintaining the projects.

Pros: 1. We can attach project file into the software.
2. We can track by the project category.

Cons: The interface not so attractive, that's why Japanese people mostly like this software.

Miguel G.
Graphic Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2018

"Feature rich project management program"

Comments: The features I found in Backlog are often those you only get to experience in the higher-end products. Backlog provides multiple subscription levels that provide various features based on your organization's needs. The features are distributed among these subscriptions in a smart way, allowing you move between these levels as needed. It has an intuitive design and is quite easy to use.

Pros: Backlog offers 5 account levels, including a free version that provides plenty of its features to take it for a spin. Feature rich project management tool that does more than just manage stories and tasks at a project level. Competitive pricing includes issue tracking, code review, collaboration, and much more. One of exceptional benefit that exceeded my expectation was the inclusion of a Wiki, something that most project management tools do not include or charge extra for access. This is a big plus for development teams. Track milestones, store files, and much more from an affordable tool that does not nickle and dime you. Easy to setup and use. Great dashboard for an overall view of your projects... very functional.

Cons: Cannot really test out some of the features in the higher subscriptions unless you upgrade. But maybe worth the shot, as their price levels are not all that bad. As with any tool that has increased features and capabilities, there is a bit of a learning curve when compared to other products.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2018
Nguyen N.
Project Director
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2018

"Good services with the best price"

Comments: I did use backlog in 4 years, and It good for my company with more than 120 users, and run 30 project at the same time

Pros: I did use backlog in 4 years, and It good for my company with more than 120 users, and run 30 project at the same time

Cons: need add more than status check (current status: open, In progress, Resolved, Closed) need add more (Review)

Vivek O.
Consultant
  • Reviewed on 01/09/2017

"My experience for backlog is awesome."

Pros: It has given a great platform to collaborate for work.
We manage many of our projects on backlog which makes us more efficient and we can focus on more work rather than hitch-ups due to processes and management.
Great tool.

Cons: Yes, if you talk about cons I do feel there is need for internal documents creation like Excel ppt etc.
If I want to make some data or have issue which requires tabular form, I don't have much options than just to create an excel and attach it's links.

• Reviewed on 01/09/2017
Bhadra A.
Marketing Manager
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2019

"Good Experience"

Comments: After using Backlog, each project management has been improved: better time management, better updates in team during project progress

Pros: - project management based
- easy to use and create project/issue

Cons: - some part confusing in terms of UI
- people who was notified at first time issue created, wont be automatically notified if not mention in notify people when make comment/update

• Reviewed on 15/04/2019
Sandeep G.
Junior software developer
Cosmetics, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/09/2018

"we are love to use backlog"

Pros: I liked the way of bugs maintenance and having simple ui to understand by the non technical persons as well.

Cons: mail structure. In mail try to add bug status in front. (closed or added). In mobile push notifications we are unable to differentiate whether it is added or closed.

• Reviewed on 28/09/2018
Ruby On Rails Developer
  • Reviewed on 03/10/2018

"Review for Backlog"

Pros: It's easy to manage task on Gantt Chart. I can see status, edit start time and end time,...without having to refresh the page.

Cons: When i review pull request on Backlog, i can't see the number of deleted line, added line and total changed line. Github has this feature.

• Reviewed on 03/10/2018
Hoàng N.
Web Developer
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2018

"Work smarter with Backlog!!!"

Comments: Friendly, easy to use, easy to manage, work more efficiently. However, we need to notify the user (via email) when the server has problems to be able to organize the work

Pros: Unlike the Github, GitLab ..., Backlog allows me to have an overview when the project has multiple modules, each module needs a separate git repos.

Cons: I have trouble verifying who committed the code when viewed on the git tool of the Backlog

• Reviewed on 23/10/2018
Engineering Manager/New Product Development
Machinery, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2018

"This service is very good."

Comments: We use Backlog to track all the work in the department. All the documentation is stored in Backlog. It's very convienant.

Pros: The software works well. It makes it easy to track what everyone in the group is accomplishing each day.

Cons: When we send emails to Backlog, embedded pictures are lost. We work around it but it would be better if it just worked. Additional reporting would be nice to have.

Vito M.
Process Analyst
Government Administration, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/06/2019

"Excellent for bug tracking"

Pros: Backlog enables you to register and track bugs on your system, being an agile and easy-to-use tool for any type of user. It has several options for bug tracking, from version and tag specifics to a wiki for quick reference and consistency of information. In addition, the ability to include users to be notified about a bug's resolution, without necessarily being the creator or assignee, is very good and functional!

Cons: While creating an issue, if the company has already standardized a way to include them, Backlog does not indicate if a bug has already been registered, causing the multi-user test routine to become a bit messy and / or repetitive if they do not check the list before including the issue.

• Reviewed on 10/06/2019
Jeremy C.
IT/OT Engineer
Oil & Energy, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/11/2018

"Backlog for the Win"

Pros: We use backlog everyday to track various projects withing our department. The easy of adding new items to the log and quickly finding them is a plus.

Cons: Only thing we really need is an approval based system that ties into Backlog for change management. Often times approval are required to be shown in the business world.

• Reviewed on 30/11/2018
Carmen G.
Senior Managing Director
Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2018

"Backlog Review"

Comments: Solid PM tool with flexible pricing options.

Pros: Solid Project Management tool for software development teams. Interface is intuitive and training is minimal. Good reporting and project communication capabilities.

Cons: Sometimes the more advanced features you are looking for are only available in the higher cost subscriptions.

• Reviewed on 23/04/2018