15 years helping Australian businesses

About OneDrive

Microsoft OneDrive is a web-based digital asset management solution that allows businesses of all sizes to efficiently manage, collabo

Learn more about OneDrive

Pros:

Feature that a very useful from this software is the ability to flawlessly integrated with my computer operating system.

Cons:

There tends to be more spam associated with OneDrive, occasionally I will receive an email from someone I corresponded with that appears to have a one drive attachment but is actually spam.

OneDrive ratings

4.2

8.3/10

OneDrive has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 11,956 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used OneDrive before?

Filter reviews (11,956)

Ashlee
Ashlee
Customer Support Specialist in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51–200 Employees

My Favorite Photo Management App!

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: OneDrive is a great option for people on a budget, as its free version is sufficient for many users. It has a photo tagging system that makes searching through your gallery much faster and more efficient. Additionally, it allows you to create your own photo albums for better organization.

Pros:

OneDrive offers a free option for anyone with a Microsoft, Hotmail, or Outlook account. The free version allows you to store up to 2,500 photos, which is more than enough storage for me. You can increase that amount by purchasing a subscription. OneDrive also allows you to tag photos based on location, a person's name, holiday, season, date, and more, enabling you to quickly search for those photos by their tags in the future. This is my favorite feature!

Cons:

I find that their subscription prices are slightly higher than others I have seen.

Samantha
Contract home healthcare manager in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

OneDrive the only Drive

Comments: My over all satisfaction to one drive isits the best I've found yet .

Pros:

It's everything I need in one, from sending pics to transferring files plus it has an automatic back up in case if something happens it is saved

Cons:

The cost it took to purchase the software

Cynthia
Community Manager in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

NO, please. Just no.

3.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: IT was an utter nightmare. I was never assigned a company Microsoft email addy so I was told to sign in using my existing hotmail account from 1997. Big Mistake. Somehow my personal files ended up on the main company drive, and some were LOST when I was pruned from the company account. I do not recall giving OneDrive permission to merge my stuff with the company's but whatevs. To this day I have issues logging into my 25 year old hotmail account, which I keep for throwaway emails and such. Also, it downloaded the entire OneDrive account onto my Macbook Pro and caused glitches, crashes, and other weirdness that only went away when I wiped the machine and started over. OneDrive is just too complicated for small business.

Pros:

I liked how it was easy to share docs and digital assets. It's a good platform for Enterprise.

Cons:

There was never any way to know if you were working on the latest version of a doc or asset. So many times we'd end up with ten different copies and no way to know which was the "official" doc bc everyone edited their own copy and not a master copy. Caused a lot of problems, hurt feelings, and needless reprimands.

Claude Real
Business analyst and graphic designer in Canada
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Great cloud storage but lacks storage capacity

Comments: Overall my experience with OneDrive is great and I would definitely recommend for people with low storage needs, but if someone needs more storage capacities, Apple iCloud and Google Drive offers more options on storage capacities.

Pros:

OneDrive is a wonderful cloud storage option. Its security is strong and you can easily manage the permissions on your contents. Also it integrates very great with all Microsoft softwares and devices, even on Android, iOS and MacOS.

Cons:

OneDrive is limited to a maximum of 1TB storage capacity, therefore if you're a graphic designer or someone working with other graphic content like me, you'll find that capacity very low and will probably have to look for other cloud storage option like I did. Also, if like me you have to use linux on occasion you will find very anoying to be forced to go to OneDrive via the web browser because Microsoft still refuses to create a linux version of OneDrive Desktop.

Jason
Owner in US
Management Consulting, Self Employed

OneDrive works great

Pros:

OneDrive works well for efficient work flow between multiple devices and locations.

Cons:

OneDrive secure file sharing is difficult.

Taylor
Accounts Payable in US
Construction, 201–500 Employees

Sharable in real time.

Comments: Exciting. It was refreshing to learn this software because of the added features it has compared to the traditional software we utilized.

Pros:

I love that the files created and stored for all users given access have the ability to see real time changes. Mind blowing. Also, permissions can be set as to how much access users have.

Cons:

The cost of the software after the initial free storage is used.

Archindra Nath
Manager in India
Consumer Services, 2–10 Employees

Satisfactory and helpful

4.0 last month New

Comments: I think onedrive future is satisfied me but not so good to used in all the field.of software

Pros:

In this app l like there file sharing and Microsoft 365 version, and I e important things is that data storage is good.

Cons:

The access of control and permission is not so good and anybody can crake this.

Mark
Mark
IT Coordinator in US
Education Management, 51–200 Employees

Great for Small Businesses

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall a positive experience and easy to use in a small corporation.

Pros:

Ease of set-up and full integration with Windows OS.

Cons:

Management and clean up can get tricky if End Users are aware of how things flow.

Banking, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Great storage solution, especially if you are already in the Microsoft Suite

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Easy to manage UI, great integration with other Microsoft products

Cons:

Connections can be a bit choppy especially with sharepoint. Collaborations are a bit lacking

Jae
RN in Canada
Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Super easy !

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

This is great for file sharing, especially at work. I am a nurse and can easily access my files at home when needing them.

Cons:

Sometimes asks you to login multiple times and can get a little annoying but at least i know my files are kept in a safe place

Max
Max
Manager, Professional Services & IT in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

You probably already are paying for Office 365, so might as well take advantage of OneDrive

Comments: Our business, like most businesses I image, relay on MS Office products for day to day work. This OneDrive product comes with those products that are already being used in Office365. There really is no downside to not using this product if you already have Office365. It is easy to use like Dropbox and easy to share files with others in your organization.

Pros:

This product comes free with a large 1TB of storage with Office 365 that every business uses anyways. Even if you have GSuite, chances are that you are also paying for MS Office. GSuite's Google Drive has a unique and frustrating (for new users or long time Windows users) method for syncing files. OneDrive's storage method is more inline with the user friendly DropBox. You can also edit Office files and OneNote inside OneDrive.

Cons:

The client for Mac needs a special type of drive format. You need to have the drive formatted in a case sensitive format for the client to work. This can sometimes require IT to setup a separate partition on user's mac just for OneDrive to sync.

Editor and Designer in US
Publishing, 2–10 Employees

So far...so great!

Comments: Overall, my experience with OneDrive has been overwhelmingly positive. It's simple to map OneDrive to your local desktop (simply clicking "Sync" from the OneDrive dashboard is all it takes). This enables you to work on files directly from your desktop rather than going out to the OneDrive site. It's super-convenient and saves us tons of time.

Pros:

We decided to try OneDrive by Microsoft for our file management needs after using SharePoint for over a decade. One of the main reasons we did not want to change is, frankly, change is hard. Or can be. It's easy to stick with what you are used to, and there is always the concern of placing additional stress on staff by having them learn something new. However, it has been a smooth transition and so far is going great. OneDrive, in my estimation, is far superior to SharePoint for file management. Here's why: When you store files on OneDrive, you can easily open and edit them. You can edit them in the cloud or open and work on them from your desktop software if you feel more comfortable working this way. Regardless of how you choose to do it, your work is instantly saved as you go. There is no document check-out process. Multiple users can update the same file simultaneously. It's quite remarkable how easy it is to use OneDrive and just how powerful it is. As you become more familiar with it, you'll no doubt want to set up various sites within your account to manage specific content. For example, we have a Content site, a Marketing site, and a Finance site. It's easy to assign access to employees as needed. This helps ensure that only those who should be working in a particular site have access to that site. As stated, we are still learning all of the bells and whistles, but so far it has been a fantastic transition.

Cons:

So far, there is nothing to dislike about OneDrive. The interface is easy to use and follow. Compared to SharePoint for file management, it's a breeze. Simple to open a file and start working. Easy to review changes that have been made. Real-time saving means no need to worry if your browser crashes or you lose internet access.

Jonathan
VP Technology in US
Real Estate, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Microsoft One Drive

Comments: Works very well as a standard personal cloud file management tool for both personal use and business use. Lacking many advanced options found in Google/Box for public file sharing.
Works well with eDiscovery and other legal and compliance tools
Has improved greatly over time with real-time collaboration and automatic saving
Simple to implement and rollout as it is native with MS Office
Continue to grow its footprint in my current company as an alternative to File Shares

Pros:

Industry standard software works natively with MS Office Allows sharing and collaboration of files with anyone and anywhere Simple to use and and administer Compliant for regulations and easily searchable/discoverable

Cons:

Sharing options are very limited for outside users and difficult to control once in the wild Administration is not robust, still old style Security is lacking especially for the uninitiated Plays well with MS not so well with other tools

Sebastian
Solution Architect in Sweden
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

OneDrive makes personal file storage easy

Pros:

OneDrive is an easy file storage product that comes in two shapes. OneDrive for personal use, and OneDrive for Business that is included in Office 365 for employees. With the OneDrive application, you can sync your OneDrive documents and files with your devices which makes it even smoother to work but at the same time know that everything is backed up in your cloud storage. It also integrates well with the Office suite.

Cons:

The older agents, both on Windows 7 and Windows 10, could sometimes have issued with synced files. This would then lead to some files being corrupt.

Amanda
Amanda
Owner in Canada
E-Learning, Self Employed

I Use OneDrive For My Personal Important Files Because I Know They are Safe There!

Comments: I use it every morning. I love to use for keeping our family budget sheets up to day, for sharing files and creating files and that they are really easy to download to look at offline too! I'm really very impressed!

Pros:

I love the fact that you have have your personal private files in the special OneDrive personal Vault, which requires extra password protection. It's great! Especially when you need a file but are not close to your regular computer or device, you can log on anywhere in the world and go through the special vault for extra incryption. I love it! And it's very generous with the files sizes too! Plus it's just so easy to use! Definitely my favourite online document storage place for sure. I particularly like using the sheets that work pretty much exactly like Excel, I love not having to learn new systems just to work online. Thank-you Microsoft!

Cons:

Nothing really. I used to find it annoying if I had a shared document with my partner and we couldn't work on the files at the same time and have the system remember to do the updates, but that seems to be fixed now, so it's all good!

Randall
Carpenter in US
Construction, 2–10 Employees

Onedrive. Seriously, only one does it all

Comments: They are phenomenal and I get 100 GB cloud storage every month through my cell phone service which is T-Mobile don't think I'll ever use all of that fantastic job again at Google hq.

Pros:

I like it is made by the Google corporation and Incorporated with all other Google apps and software. I like that with my cell phone service I get 100 GB of online cloud storage so my phone and drive storage space on the cloud isn't at capacity in fact my phone is always full of available storage as I just go in upload and backup my stuff every couple days.

Cons:

I wish the interface was a little more intuitive to the user maybe more control over backups restore points should be able to access from any computer from anywhere once logged in.

Imi
Imi
CIO in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Great Product that is troubling due to constant changes.

Comments: It is my go to.. I think about OneDrive as my hard drive, Love it.
However, I speak for the many persons who are frustrated because they are not tech savvy.

Pros:

I loved that you have all you documents synced onto your personal devices, and I USED to love the fact that there was a separation of concern regarding the shared sync tool from OneDrive and my personal OneDrive file. This allow my team members files to be in its own "space" and this was a good thing. This was what I liked about the OneDrive ..... but

Cons:

OneDrive has changed in 2021 and this change has brought about headache for all. No syncing because the OneDrive is locked and awaiting action by users who has no idea as to what is wrong... Removal of the SharePoint/OneDrive sync has now left me with the newest experiment that is named the "ShortCut inside the OneDrive" these shortcuts are difficult to manage. I am used to improvement and enhancements, but when having to deal with thousand of employees that are just getting their feet wet, some changes are "UnWelcome"

Alex
System Analysis in Canada
Construction, 51–200 Employees

Worth taking advantage of if you have it

Comments: Using OneDrive has overall been a positive experience for our company. Most users have found it has been a improvement to their work flow and it has presented new solutions to old problems.

Pros:

Generous amount of cloud space that was included with our Microsoft Exchange 365 email hosting. Has been a reliable replacement for both our company's self hosted personal network drive folders as well as our FTP services. Offered many additional advantages such as easy capacity to share large files, reduce the amount of files being shared via email, and introduction of version control. Compared to our old network drive folders the OneDrive makes saving faster and more convenient since files are first saved locally then uploaded to the cloud in the background. The ability to synchronize a computers desktop, documents, and picture folder means our users don't have to save to a specific folder to ensure their files are being backed-up to the cloud, and starting work on a new workstation is much simpler since all of there files will be automatically retrieved from the cloud.

Cons:

There is a huge difference in features available to users using Windows 7 and Windows 10. Windows 10 offers a much more integrated version of OneDrive that includes the ability keep files stored on the cloud but still visible in the PC file structure. At this point the majority of our company's computer are now using Windows 10 when we first started using OneDrive it was more difficult for Windows 7 users to adjust. The delay between saving a file and it being uploaded has made some collaboration efforts not a seamless as they could be.

Marcos
Owner Operator in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 2–10 Employees

Excellent Cloud Storage

Comments: I have used many different cloud storage systems throughout the years and personally find OneDrive to be one of the best.

Pros:

I can see my files across all of my devices. I recently purchased a new computer and it made the migration extremely easy.

Cons:

I have had zero issues with Microsoft OneDrive. If I ever encountered an error Microsoft support has plenty of resources available to remedy the issue.

Juliet
Blogger in South Africa
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

One Drive as Your Primary File Storage Tool on Windows.

Comments: The best thing about OneDrive is that it integrates with Windows so you can easily save your files to the cloud without any extra steps. OneDrive cloud storage service is backed up, secure and protected. You can start free while you get 5 GB which is not bad if you're just starting out. You can always move to a paid version if you need more space. The integration of other apps such Word, PowerPoint, Outlook and Excel make it super easy to use having all these apps in one place.

Pros:

OneDrive is a cloud-based storage service that allows you to store your files online. You can access them from anywhere as long as you have an internet connection. Another advantage I found with using OneDrive, is that it syncs your files automatically and provides offline access. Even if you are not offline, you can still work on your documents. It also has file versioning built-in and unlimited storage space for those who need it. OneDrive has the ability to store large documents and the storage space is about 250 Gigs which is more than enough for most people. With this app, you also get other apps included like Outlook, Word, PowerPoint and Excel.

Cons:

The one downside of OneDrive is that it doesn't provide a way to sync external drives or flash drives like Dropbox does, so if you are someone who needs to transfer large amounts of data, this might not be the best service for you.

Nathan
Nathan
Director, Management Information Systems in US
Public Policy, 11–50 Employees

Perfect Cloud Storage

Comments: No more VPN connections to the corporate network in order to access office files on a server, as now files are in the cloud on Microsoft's servers. Using Azure AD Connect to synch usernames and passwords with the local domain, users have an SSO experience even while utilizing the full benefits of cloud-based file storage.

Pros:

You can access your files from anywhere you have access to the Internet. The latest updates allow you store all your files in the cloud while having access to them from your PC through Windows Explorer, too, allowing access to them from within every application. However, they take up no space on your hard drive until you open them--brilliant! So if you have a small SDD drive on your laptop, problems with storage space just got solved. After you've worked with the file, simply return it to the cloud and free up your hard drive space again. Need to share a file or folder with someone? That's a cinch, as you create a share link from within Windows or through the OneDrive interface on the web, choosing to allow editing or read only access, as well as whether the link should expire after a certain period of time. Sharing a link to a document means your recipient can access the latest version whenever the link is clicked. If you work on the file through Office 365, then the collaborative opportunities are opened, as you can work on a file together. OneDrive is perfectly integrated into all Office 365 apps as well as Windows 10 itself (just make sure to have the latest version of Windows installed to take advantage of OneDrive's latest innovations). One last trick OneDrive does is to preview some file types even if the associated app is not installed (browser only).

Cons:

While it will back up files you explicitly place in your machine's OneDrive folder, by copying them to the cloud, it does not perform system backups. So if you want system backups to be in the cloud on OneDrive, you will need to run them with a system backup utility and then copy them to OneDrive (depending on your backup utility, you might be able to automate writing backup copy to OneDrive).

Ruston
Co-Owner in US
Real Estate, 2–10 Employees

A Great Cloud Storage Solution

Comments: I'm not in a good position to compare to Google Cloud. I just happened to have jumped in the One Drive boat first. I'm certainly not against trying out their solution, I just already have something that works well enough.

Pros:

Microsoft put a lot of effort into making One Drive user friendly and seamless across multiple computers and it shows. I'm to the point now where all of my files live in one drive. When I have to wipe my laptop or move to a new computer I have to do two things 1) install chrome and import my bookmarks/passwords and 2) install one drive and sync my files. I'm now 80% functional in less than 10 minutes. I'm not sure what setting I ticked but when I spun up my most recent laptop last month my desktop, my documents, downloads, etc all mapped themselves to my one drive auto-magically I also have a folder with all of my business documents in it. I was easily able to share a link with my business partner and give him full access to all of the business files so that we can both work off the same file set. Very convenient especially for something like a Quick Books Desktop save file. Also 1 TB of data is a ton. If your a normal person that's more than you'll ever need. at least for the next 20 years or so. A less than normal person would be someone with a digital movie collection of 1000+ movies. To help put this in perspective 1TB =1000GB and 1GB = 1000MB 10 average Word Docs would equal about 1 MB. a full length movie at normal quality would be 100-300MB. So again, unless you want to store 1000s of movies 1 TB will be more than enough.

Cons:

It messes up occasionally. Over the past few years and a half-dozen or so computers I've had One Drive go a bit crazy on me. All of a sudden it will stop syncing properly or at all. Twice I've spent considerable amounts of time working through various solutions and with tech support to no avail. Basically a fresh wipe of the computer was the best route. (which is a terrible solution). I've also found that it's ... either screwy or not at all intuitive (or a bit of both) with One Note save files. All of my One note notebooks are saved in One drive but trying to make a redundant copy of one of them or restoring a backup is a huge hassle. All in all it's a worthwhile program.

Shane
Shane
Driver in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Excellent storage ,when used wisely!

Comments: As stated though, If you do make sure all the settings are right before things get slowed down, its an amazing experience having the cloud at your finger tips on mobile, and laptop, Desktop, and both my Xbox and Xbox1 working together. As well as the ability to load my games from Xbox1 onto it, and go to a fiends house who has the system, but not the game, and be able to play it there, with MY profile in all its glory, and when i return home, all my progress returns with me for more solo gaming.

Pros:

Well i love that i linked all my Microsoft stuff together, At the time i first used it i was using an Xbox 360, the Xbox1 , desktop , and laptop for school and not to mention mobile phone as well. when i would make game clips from call of duty and upload them i could move seamlessly from Console to PC for editing my clips, Then for school when i would be at lunch in between class, i could still access any video clips on the go, and upload homework assignments, to then return home and work on my desktop once again.

Cons:

Not a fan of when it will automatically grab everything, and i mean EVERY random silly thing you have off your PC and max out your storage, then it was just a hassle to turn off the auto upload, and would always end up getting tired of it slowing my startup to a crawl, then the left click delay would be...Just unbearable, to finally be able to hit settings, sometimes overshooting it and closing it again... having to right click once again, carefully work my way there again, and click it, for a slow load to finally FINALLY unchecked that box, and apply my settings. And thank goodness every windows installation i do i always forget to turn it off and then do the song and dance once again .

Kim
Educator in Philippines
Education Management, 10,000+ Employees

OneDrive of a Kind

Comments: Describing an overall experience with OneDrive only takes a single statement--I'm with OneDrive of a kind!

Pros:

Security. Accessibility. Interface. These three things are the most likeable features of OneDrive that sets it apart from other cloud storages. Its ability to define the "shared by you" and "share with you" makes it secure to track the files casted here and there. It also allows users to track the exact time and exact action taken by the modifier of the file---guest of contributor. Its files are formatted just how documents are formatted in our personal computers' Documents folders. Hence, accessible and easy to understand. Its desktop application version is lovely! So lovely that you could actually think that it's just a normal folder in your pc. And finally, the interface! For a user with tons of files to manage, a clean, minimalist, and sleek interface is very important for me. A well-sorted and neat arrangement of my files that are easily accessible saves me more time to focus on my work rather than sorting my files every now and then. All I say is, this software is 'OneDrive of a kind.'

Cons:

Finding out how my OneDrive desktop application's files take space in my hard disk somehow saddened me although I managed to deal with it by just choosing "free up space". This lessens the consumed space in the disk and gives you the option to just download the file whenever needed. But if there is one thing I wish to improve in this software, it would be to totally detached it from the disk space although the app is really actually installed in the pc itself.

Joel
Joel
Technology Consultant in US
, 51–200 Employees

The best cloud storage available

Comments: I keep all my important files synced across all my devices. I can access everything I want to access whether I'm at my home computer, work computer, laptop at the coffee shop, or out and about on my phone. Perfect syncing of everything all the time.

Pros:

I have tried many different cloud storage options and OneDrive is my absolute favorite. The thing I like the most is the native integration with Windows 10 on my desktop, laptop, and Windows 10 Mobile phone. It works flawlessly and completely as expected. I appreciate that Microsoft added back the ability to keep files only in the cloud until you use them, but still be able to see them on your desktop. The indicators are clear and easy to understand. I know if a file is on my computer and on the cloud, or just on the cloud. Syncing times are very quick, especially with a decent internet connection. I have a super fast 300 Mbps (both up and down) connection at home, so my files are synced almost instantly. They become available on my laptop and phone within seconds. Microsoft has added additional native functionality within File Explorer for OneDrive, so I no longer need to go online to share files with other people.

Cons:

The initial setup is easy, but making changes to the software is not where it should be. I would expect the settings for OneDrive to be in Windows 10 settings, but instead, you have to click on the OneDrive cloud symbol in the tray to access the settings. Once in the settings, the wording is not easy and the controls are not laid out well. The whole settings area needs to be redone to the new Windows 10 style and updated to be easier to understand.