15 years helping Australian businesses

Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage Reviews

About Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage

Always hot, S3 compatible object storage built to host content, build & run applications, manage media, back up, archive & protect data

Learn more about Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage

Pros:

I also utilized customer service and they were so helpful.

Cons:

The one time I needed the software to actually work for a backup it failed. It was not able to retain my existing backup when I had to reinstall Windows 10 on my desktop.

Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage ratings

4.7
4.5
4.5
4.7

8.9/10

Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 138 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Backblaze B2 Cloud Storage before?

Ella Sophie
Ella Sophie
Photographer in US
Photography, Self Employed

Easy hassle free unlimited backup system

Comments: Overall I'm very happy to have Backblaze keeping my files safe.

Pros:

What I like most about this software is that the backup is unlimited, as a photographer I have a lot of files that are fairly large that I need to backup. Being able to access my files easily is super helpful and has already come in handy during a hardware malfunction a few months ago.

Cons:

The only downside is that you pay per computer so if I have a portable drive I have to plug it into the same computer anytime I want to back it up so I can't just log in to my Backblaze account from a shared computer to backup my portable drive.

Randi
Operations Director in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Backblaze Back Up for Nonprofit

Comments: The biggest problem Backblaze solved was that when we had previously used another company for backing up files (which was a more cloud based system) we lost files when a staff member deleted files thinking our main account was linked to them. When in fact the files were lost because they were the original author. This was a huge loss of time having to rewrite manuals and operating documents. Now when we have a staff member leave we have them condense their files and transfer it to my computer as the Operations Director and I can make sure they are backed up and as needed given to new staff when the time comes. The other benefit is everything runs in the background automatically. Gone are the days when we would plug in a harddrive for back up and were lucky to remember to do it once a month.

Pros:

First of all you just can't beat their price for this type of automatic back up system. Most platforms I had researched either had size limits or cost much more. For a small non-profit we were so happy (and able to sleep better at night) knowing if our computer crashed we would be safe and able to keep going.

Cons:

We have had a slight issue w/ backing up our harddrive because we travel to different venues and use that same harddrive for our video footage. We just have to set really good reminders so we don't forget to plug it back in.

Niko
CEO in US
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Great solution for Cloud-base Backup

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Overall this was a great source while I need it. I was able to use it to store my data securely and access it as need. There was only a few times I need to restore files and was able to easily use the online browser tool to download my cloud files.

Pros:

Backblaze is a great resource for data backup to the cloud. It's secure and offers plenty of options to restore your files in case of data loss. One of the options they include is the choice to purchase a hard drive loaded with your data for a full restore, or you can use the file explorer to download individual files through your browser. The backup software automatically backs up any of the hard drives or files you request. If your computer goes offline for a particular length of time, you will receive an email reminder that the utility cannot connect to your source. Overall, this is a great solution for cloud storage backup compared to a few other choices.

Cons:

Since Backblaze operates as a cloud-based service, it requires a stable internet connection for backups and file restoration, which may be a limitation in areas with poor connectivity or may take a long time to backup files.

E-Learning, Self Employed

While I have changed to a NAS and Cloud Backup from someone else, this is a good cloud option

Comments: Overall the system was okay to use, but was disappointed when it missed crucial files on occassion.

Pros:

I liked how easy it was to implement into my current network structure and was easy to setup end clients for this.

Cons:

I didn't like how it missed some files and was slow for no apparent reason, especially on a fast network. I also found Synology did not officially support backblaze, so changed to a competitor which was supported in the end.

2 months ago

It can be quite annoying when one has to repush... although it can happen when 3rd party software impedes our "inherit backup state" feature. As for Synology support, Backblaze integrates with both Synology Hyper Backup and Cloud Sync. Using Synology Hyper Backup, you can back up your workstations to your NAS and Backblaze B2. With Cloud Sync you can replicate your data to Backblaze B2 and other locations. For more information please visit https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-storage/integrations/synology In regards to performance, we have achieved upload speeds 10-30% faster than AWS S3 for small file uploads (1MB or less, which makes up 70% of all uploads to B2 Cloud Storage and are common for backup and archive workflows) all without any change to durability, availability, or pricing. Please let us know if this continues to be an issue and we're happy to help troubleshoot.

Ben
Manager in UK
Design, 2–10 Employees

Does it's thing, invisibly.

Comments: For me Backblaze is primarily disaster recovery protection. If my MacBook is lost/stolen/corrupted I know I can get everything back using backblaze. It works well on windows or mac, and allows me to exclude certain folders or file types I don't want backed up which reduces the size of the backup. After the initial backup, incremental backups work well and mean there's not a massive bandwidth requirement. All in, great software that has your back!

Pros:

The power of backblaze for personal backup is that it doesn't get in your way. It just sits there in the tray, but it accurately detects file changes and backs these up to the cloud. I have used the recovery process before and it works well.

Cons:

It's not the cheapest, but it does do what it should.

John Dykstra
Owner in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Best value

Comments: From my experience, Backblaze delivers what they promise without any hassles. So, that makes me happy.

Pros:

I found Backblaze had by far the best pricing structure for data backup. I use their bucket system for my customers and haven't had any problems.

Cons:

I think they still need some additional tools for downloading and interacting with the data but I believe they are always working to make the product better.

Mukul
Cto in India
Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

Relaible Cloud Storage at a fraction of a cost ..

Comments: I am very much satisfy with the B2 and their support (support team is very prompt as well as knowledgeable) .

Pros:

Low cost (Because of their fair uses policy as well as no minimum storage commitment) . Easily configurable with most of the industry leading backup software. Newly added S3 support. Object locking makes it impossible to delete the backup before the retention period.

Cons:

No IAM based bucket distribution like AWS.

Religious Institutions, 2–10 Employees

Rock Solid Backup

Pros:

I love that I can setup Backblaze, run an initial backup, and and trust that Backblaze will take care of the rest. I never have to worry about Backblaze protecting my data, and if there ever is a problem, Backblaze will alert me ASAP.

Cons:

My one complaint about the software is the UI of the Mac desktop client; it looks dated and isn't intuitively organized, and doesn't seem to fit with the other polished parts of the Backblaze platform.

Luccas
Luccas
CEO in Brazil
Industrial Automation, 2–10 Employees

Backblaze is awesome if you need lots of storage

Comments: It's great at what it's claiming it will do. Does it have shortcomings? Yes. But for the price you can't really complain much,

Pros:

It's unlimited storage, so it's awesome that it can keep a huge amount of data for such a low price.

Cons:

The hard drives have to be connected to keep the uploaded files, or you have to reconnect them before 30 days otherwise you will lose the files uploaded.

Daniel
Daniel
Managing Partner in US
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Incredible Backup Storage Provider

Comments: Customers are shocked by how cheap it is, even when I mark it up 1000%.

Pros:

Price is the best thing about this product.

Cons:

Support is what is lacking most about this product the most but it's exactly what you expect for the price.

Roger
Niche Growth Facilitator in Canada
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Reliable Backups that Always Run!

Comments: This solved the problem, where my business would not be impacted by lost data, when a disaster happens. In my case, hard drives went down a few times. I could still access them online, and later, when adding a new drive, it was very easy to restore. Bottom line? Backblaze is reliable! It's so easy to use and has saved me from losing a lot of important data. I would highly recommend it to anyone looking for an online backup solution.

Pros:

The best features of Backblaze are its affordability, ease of use, and... #1 is Reliability. It has saved me from losing important data on several occasions. There's a nice feature to ensure backups are live and ongoing always. Another good feature is the ability to login online and access files (if needed).

Cons:

First, it can be a bit slow to upload large files. Second, the free version only allows for one computer to be backed up. Virtual (storage could) drives are not supported. The very first backup you create can take days - But to be fair... This is a result of how much data you are including in the first backup, and how fast your internet connection is.

Computer Games, 2–10 Employees

It's great to know that you have a backup option if any of you computers lose data!

Comments: I was looking for a backup solution that suits very large files, like 30GB + game project files. Backblaze had the most competitive features and pricing. The software has been very reliable, I've had it running on a computer for 2 years straight, only turning it off for updates.

Pros:

Backblaze is easy to set up, quick to back up, and reliably continues working. The pricing is very competitive. It doesn't throttle your network connections.

Cons:

The software looks a bit outdated, but does what is advertised. I do have concerns that if my computer is offline for 60 days plus, the files won't be retained. It's hard to find this information with clarity for any backup service.

4 years ago

Hi! Thanks for being a customer. A quick response on your concern - our service is designed to retain your backup even if your computer is offline for up to 6 months. Here's a KB article on it https://help.backblaze.com/hc/en-us/articles/217664898-What-happens-to-my-backups-when-I-m-away-or-on-vacation- In that KB, we also discuss an option to enable "extended version history" to extend that window as well as extend the window of retention for deleted / changed files. If you have any other question, please don't hesitate to reach out to our help desk via chat or email https://www.backblaze.com/help.html

Mauricio
Director in New Zealand
Online Media, 2–10 Employees

Powerful cloud storage Backblaze B2

Comments: Using Backblaze B2 for desktop, VM, database and NAS backups. Clients include Synology NAS and MSP360 (SQL Server, Hyper-V and desktop).

Pros:

It's very inexpensive compared to other cloud-based storage platforms. AWS-compatible API. Easy to manage storage buckets.

Cons:

Limited geographical locations means it can be slow depending on where your servers are, when compared to local Azure instances for example.

Pasquale
Software Engineer in Italy
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Peace of mind for your bucks

Pros:

Backblaze is a very minimal tool. It doesn't sport any bells and whistles, it never stays in your way. It just stay silent for much of the time and just... works. Your entire disk is safely and securely backed up on their servers and you can access your files and restore your backups in case of dramatic events.

Cons:

Honestly the web interface is a little bit strange and oddly organized, but it's a very minor complaint because you rarely use it (if at all).

Suzanne
Graphic Designer in US
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Covers the Basics

Pros:

It's easy to set up, then requires nothing to maintain. Everything functions pretty automatically. The initial upload speed was fair. It allows lots of space for backup.

Cons:

It isn't very user friendly to know what files have been backed up versus which files are queued for backup. Nor is it easy to figure out how to access those files from the cloud if you ever needed to. There is no file versioning, so if you need an older version of a file, you are out of luck. The backup is also limited to whatever you have on your harddrive - it doesn't backup external harddrives, and any file that has not been on your harddrive for more than 30 days gets deleted from the backup as well.

Kyle
IT Director in US

Great cloud based backup for personal computers and business laptops!

Pros:

Backblaze has a simple monthly or yearly cost with NO DATA restrictions. Don't worry about what data to backup, backup all of your data. Backblaze has an easy to use interface and you can even schedule when the backups occur or do a continuous backup.

Cons:

I wish Backblaze had an easier to use Business package. You have to buy a third party app to get to their storage.

6 years ago

Hi Kyle - Thanks for being a customer! Happy to chat with you re: access to your storage. While we have many integration partners, customers are not required to buy an app to get to your storage. Feel free to reach out if I can help troubleshoot. Cheers, Ahin (VP of Marketing @ Backblaze

Scott
Web Developer in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Great product offerings for backup and file hosting

Pros:

The desktop software is the most reliable I've run used, and sits quietly in the background rather than chewing away at resources while doing nothing. The app's interface is quite simple, and makes it easy to set external hard drives for backup or files to ignore. Regarding Backblaze B2, I host files for a website there and the price compared to AWS is very reasonable - an eighth of the price for bandwidth.

Cons:

The Web UI for restoring files is a bit clunky, but thankfully I don't have to interface with it too often :)

Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

If you need an emergency backup, Backblaze is perfect

Comments: I believe that everyone who works heavily on files should protect their data from unexpected accidents. Backblaze is a no-brainer for creative specialists and for entrepreneurs.

Pros:

It's the easiest way for regular customers to protect their data from loss. It's not the same thing as cloud storage, and it's not meant to be the same. But if you want to be always protected, Backblaze is a great and not-so-expensive solution. I used it for about 2 years when I used my private PC for work. Now I don't need it as much, but still consider getting back.

Cons:

It would be great if that had some kind of cloud storage or at least integration with third-party cloud services.

Computer & Network Security, Self Employed

Expensive and slow

Pros:

Nothing

Cons:

i can't recommend this provider, slow and expensive, and they change the prices constantly and change the packages of services

2 months ago

We are sorry for your experience and would like to address your concerns. Backblaze has only raised the price of B2 Cloud Storage once, on Oct 3, 2023. We've purposely tried to make our pricing simple: no complicated tiers, rate variances by region, or minimum file size and minimum storage duration requirements. Our customers enjoy flexible, scalable storage at $6/TB/month, plus all customers enjoy free monthly egress up to 3x the data stored. As for performance, we have achieved upload speeds 10-30% faster than AWS S3 for small file uploads (1MB or less, which makes up 70% of all uploads to B2 Cloud Storage and are common for backup and archive workflows) all without any change to durability, availability, or pricing. Please let us know if this continues to be an issue and we're happy to help troubleshoot.

Alanna
Photographer in US
Photography, Self Employed

I tell everyone to use this product!

Comments: I’ve had a great experience with them!

Pros:

BackBlaze keeps all of my computer files and external drives backed up. I feel so much safer knowing that all my thousands of photo and design projects will be immediately accessible to download to a new computer if my current one happens to crash. Plus, you can’t beat the price!!!

Cons:

There is nothing I don’t like about this software. I recommend it to everyone, whether they own a business or not.

Arturo
GIS Business Consultant in Mexico
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Good automatic backup tool

Pros:

I like they way Backblaze works. You just have to install the software and that´s it! You do not have to worry to backup your data manually and upload it to the cloud. If you get your computer broken or lost you can order your data on a hard disk by mail.

Cons:

Data transfer (upload and download) its kind of slow in the basic packages. Since I install Backblaze I find my computer kind of slower

Retail, 11–50 Employees

Peace of mind at a fair cost

Comments: Absolutely one of the most fundamental pieces to protecting your data.

Pros:

Set it and forget it. Install the software and instantly have peace of mind. You're definitely limited to whatever upload speed you have in the office but that's just life. I also use the normal Backblaze at home for personal use. The cost is very, very fair for what you get.

Cons:

Can slow down your internet a little bit when it's uploading a large backup but that's pretty standard for apps like this. There may be a throttling option that I have to figure out.

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Freed up my time

Pros:

This software does a great job of keeping a daily backup of my computer without even thinking about it. Always have a backup just in case you lose something or anything happens.

Cons:

Sometimes I forget to leave my laptop open for it to update overnight but that's more a laptop issue than software problem. Also, if you backup any drives, don't forget to connect them before going to bed...

Media Production, Self Employed

Set and Forget Backup

Pros:

I like that once it is setup it works in the background and backs up everything. It gives me piece of mind, and it works well. I feel more confident for mine and other people's data if something should go wrong. I found it really easy to set up, and it has a bunch of options that make sense and allows me to exclude files if I need to.

Cons:

More versioning of files would be good, just to give a bit more redundancy as some files can change a lot in a short period of time.

Hospitality, Self Employed

Set It and Forget It

Comments: I feel a lot more secure about recovering my data in case of hard drive failure or damage to my computer.

Pros:

Once you set it up, it basically backs up all of your data on your hard drive daily. You basically set it and forget it.

Cons:

Some aspects are a little difficult figuring out -- but the customer service by email is very responsive. So no problem with solutions.