• Overall
    3.8 /5
    3.9 /5
    3.4 /5

About Quicken

Rental property and personal finances management solution with tenant information tracking, income management, and expense tracking.

Learn more about Quicken

Beebek A.
Lecturer
E-Learning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2021

"Why Quicken?"

Comments: Good.

Pros: Tracking personal finances and business statements is probably the best feature in Quickens.

Cons: Sometimes transactions gets lost and do not show up.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2021
Ryan S.
Law Enforcement, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/11/2020

"Quicken could use some work."

Comments: Quicken worked for us as a new business but as our needs changed so did our expectations. Quicken just has a lot of catching up to do.

Pros: Quicken offered a product that allowed us to reconcile our account balances and offered a iPhone and Android app that each of our users were able to utilize.

Cons: Quicken let us down in a number of ways. First, the product has several bugs especially in the MAC version. The Windows version was a bit better but we still had issues with the program crashing. It is easier to navigate than other products but it is confusing once you get into importing accounts.

• Reviewed on 25/11/2020
David Y.
IT Directors
Civic & Social Organization, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/03/2019

"A Product Whose Time Has Passed"

Pros: Quicken for more than a decade has been "the" standard for personal financial management and I used it for many years to track my families spending habits, transactions, retirement and more. It's "the" gold standard for anyone looking to track their financial health.

Cons: Multiple online products, including Mint which is also owned by Intuit that makes Quicken, covers 90% of the features/functions that you would normally run on your computer. For those that don't want to trust their information to such web/cloud services then Quicken still remains a viable option. However, in recent years Quicken has begun to scale back on services like Bill Pay as banks and other online services take over. I don't think Quicken is going away any time soon, but it's very clear that it's time has passed and it's only a matter of time until Intuit makes the decision to retire the software.

• Reviewed on 28/03/2019
Lynn S.
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2020

"Don't give up - it's probably worth it."

Comments: I had used many different types of accounting software for small and large businesses. So when I wanted a software program for my own purposes, and to grow from our personal finances into a small side business, I expected to use Quickbooks because I was familiar. Someone recommended Quicken. I tried to set it up 3 times in a free trial period, but it seemed very difficult, so I let it slide. One slow day, I persevered and completed the set up. Thank goodness I did. Once the set up is complete, the functioning is so much smoother and easier than Quickbooks was for my purposes. I'm so glad I didn't give up. I am saving time and money by using Quicken now. Well worth the effort in the set up.

Pros: The functionality has impressed me. It's bill pay feature is better than I had anticipated, and it's layout and easy viewing is making it one of my new favorite accounting software programs - and I've had many. I didn't think I would want to stray from Quickbooks, but 3 months in and I am thinking I may not want to ever go back. Correction.... I am thinking I may not ever NEED to go back.

Cons: I was a little overwhelmed in the set up - which is why I set up my accounts in the free trial 3 times and let it sit for months. It seemed too daunting and I was scared it would be way too complex and difficult to navigate. I just didn't give it chance. Once you get past the start, it's way easier, I believe, than Quickbooks. Simpler, so it may not be for everyone, but it is for my purposes.

• Reviewed on 25/09/2020
Ruben H.
Consultant Engineer
Logistics & Supply Chain, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2018

"Another all-time favorite agonizes in the mobile era"

Comments: Quicken needs to move faster to mobile and cloud if it really wants to survive.
100% integration with QuickBooks, additional security features, support for more cloud backup providers are features that should be already available but are no show.
Intuit own's Mint App is an example of how Quicken should be but, for some reason, they have decided to continue working on the same outdated software instead of relaunching.
Still, Quicken is a big respected brand in the financial software world that continues to be one of my favorites.

Pros: - A longtime runner with a big user fan base
- The very familiar interface allows old users to upgrade without a steep learning curve
- Very similar Mac and Windows version allows painless platform switch
- Supports most banks and account syncing in The US
- Does not require a monthly or annual fee

Cons: - The interface is beginning to look a bit outdated compared to new mobile apps available for iOS and Android
- No equivalent mobile version available
- Cloud syncing and backup is limited and not easy to setup (dropbox required)
- Version to version upgrades sometimes include little to no enough new features for the price (That's why some users are still using 5-8 years old versions)

• Reviewed on 24/07/2018
Darcy C.
Accountant
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2017

"Quicken Customer Service and product ease of functionality drop since Intuit Split"

Comments: After about two decades of relying on this software for myself and some clients, I am now reluctantly looking for a replacement program.

Pros: It's super easy to utilize if you have basic bookkeeping experience and you are not accounting for investments. Menu options are sensibly grouped. Back up and restore super easy if you want to move copies of file(s) to different computers.

Cons: Although this software has been very predictable and adequate for a long time, it has become less desirable since split from Intuit. Good luck getting thru to customer service, there have been so many complications to their change over that they are drowning in calls. Their operators are overwhelmed and seem to 'accidentally' hang up on a call all too frequently, after exhaustive hold times. I have been prompted repeatedly to change my passwords during the transition, and rather annoyingly, each time it is updated a different verification email is sent with a code that must be entered, that quickly expires. Don't get distracted, or you have to start all over! Just really inefficient, non-intuitive programming.

• Reviewed on 13/12/2017
Bill N.
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/08/2018

"There is no better Financial Manager"

Comments: I've been using Quicken for over 20 years and have a file with that much information. Because Quicken offers various ways to categorize data, I'm able to get very accurate information on my spending. The ability to interact with online banking is very good. While it has some modernizing to do, Quicken is hands down the best financial manager out there.

Pros: The company really cares about users. It is as detailed as you want to be. Can manage data in various ways for you to know exactly how you're spending your money. You can store PDF bills and documents in your accounts.

Cons: Doesn't work well with touch. It's coming along but not there yet. There are a couple undocumented "features" which can really screw up your data.

• Reviewed on 23/08/2018
Nancy W.
Board member and Secty/Treas.
Philanthropy, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 19/04/2018

"Using Quicken for different scenarios"

Comments: I use Quicken for two very different entities: 1) a small nonprofit support organization and 2) our former small business and our personal accounting needs. It works well for both these.

Pros: The ease in entering data, and the ability to produce reports that are useful. It is not necessary to use ALL the features offered by Quicken software. One can pick and choose what is useful for their needs.

Cons: I have not found flaws in this software. I have not yet found an easy way to convert reports into pdf format in order to provide to others who cannot access Quicken reports. I am certain there is a way to do this, I just have not taken the time to work through the process.

• Reviewed on 19/04/2018
Harlan E.
Practice Administrator
Medical Practice, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/01/2021

"Quicken works for a smaller office or business"

Comments: Overall I like Quicken... it has done its job albeit more expensively than before

Pros: Quicken allows me to keep track of income and expenditures with a small learning curve

Cons: I have used Quicken for many years and what I dislike the most is that I can no longer purchase the software outright, without Intuit having their claws into my wallet. You have to purchase the seat for the software every couple of years, where before you didnt. You only had to upgrade, if the software had new features that you wanted

• Reviewed on 05/01/2021
John R.
2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2017

"Online check book with lots of buproduct benifits"

Comments: For the price of this product the features and functions are excellent for small business and personal use.

Pros: The product is easy to use and has excellent help functions. Check writing and reconciliation is simple and effective. The ability to run reports and summarize by payee, category etc and sort the data is a great tool for you G/L posting. The product also help alert missing check numbers and duplicates.

Cons: Would be great if the product had a feature to print mailing labels from the payee file. It would also be nice to have an easy way to have multi address for the same payee.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2017
Jeanine P.
Construction Estimator
Construction, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/03/2019

"Classic Money Management Software"

Comments: I like to stick with a version I am familiar and comfortable with. So last time they tried to force me to upgrade, I went to using my spreadsheet and I don't even bother balancing my checkbook anymore - everything downloads instantaneously now, and I write about 2 checks a month, so I just keep track of it in my spreadsheet. That being said, if I could get a version and stick with it, I would go back to Quicken so that I could have the charts and reports.

Pros: I have used this software since I began using computers to manage my money. I like how easy it is to customize my views, and to export information to excel if I want to manipulate it for my own purposes. It is also straightforward, easy to learn, and has many levels of support if you can't figure something out for yourself.

Cons: So many upgrades, and they make it mandatory. It is a good value for the money, but I don't think you should have to upgrade every 2 years.

• Reviewed on 30/03/2019
John J.
Business Development
  • Reviewed on 17/11/2017

"Quicken Four Year User"

Comments: I feel most comfortable keeping my financial data "off line" on my laptop only, and do not use any of the 'cloud' services that Quicken offers.

Pros: Tracks and plans for cash outflows. Bill paying is easy and intuitive. Checking Account reconciliation work well.

Cons: Downloads from Financial Services Accounts reconciliation is it not intuitive. Downloads from bank (Savings/Checking) are problematic dependent on whether the download is initiated by the Bank On LIne System or Quicken.

• Reviewed on 17/11/2017
Mark G.
attorney
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/12/2017

"Quicken: More powerful than most of us need"

Comments: I haven't used a paper check register in many, many years. I manage my finances on Quicken. While I don't use Quicken's investment-tracking features, I've played with them in the past and they work well.

Pros: It makes it easy to track my finances (both business and personal) and to upload and download transactions to and from my bank

Cons: It's a little slow to load. In the 2018 version, which I recently installed, the dropdown menus don't stay dropped down long enough when I use my mouse to navigate; I have to use my arrow keys. I don't like the fact that Quicken now forces you to upgrade the software every year or to if you want the ability to continue communicating with your bank using the program. I don't need the minor improvements that the publisher touts, and resent having to keep loading given that I'm not seeing any improvements in the features that I used.

• Reviewed on 14/12/2017
Joseph V.
Controller
  • Reviewed on 24/01/2018

"I have been using Quicken for several years now and love the program for tracking my spending."

Pros: As mentioned, I track spending as well as my earnings and family members earnings. It is a tremendous asset when tax time comes around for finding the items you may have forgotten about earlier in the year but are tax items.

Cons: The investment section of this program is a little confusing and cumbersome. It does allow for lots to tracking gain / loss easier. But setting up and making adjustments is a bit cumbersome.

• Reviewed on 24/01/2018
Mary C.
Homemaker
  • Reviewed on 13/06/2018

"Keep your finances in check!"

Comments: This is the best product I have found to stay on top of our finances.

Pros: Quicken is easy to use and gives the ability to stay on top of your finances! From checking and savings, credit cards, mortgages and more!

Cons: You have to pay Quicken in order to pay your bills on a monthly basis. I don't have to pay my bank, so I have to pay through my bank, and then manually add those payments to Quicken.

• Reviewed on 13/06/2018
Dave G.
salesman
Construction, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/03/2021

"Quicken review"

Comments: Quicken has been great!! I really see a big difference at tax time!

Pros: I really like Quicken. Every updated gets better! I love to be able to track every dollar I spend, and can categorize it

Cons: I feel like the way it connects to my bank accounts could be updated. It usually works well, but I often have days where something goes wrong

• Reviewed on 24/03/2021
Terre C.
Consultant
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2017

"Great software for my basic financial needs"

Pros: Can pay my bills and balance my checking account in a flash with downloads from my bank. Helps me keep a tight grip on credit card balances as well.

Cons: They make you upgrade every three years or so. There should be an option for those of us that do not want or require for our financial information to be mobile.

• Reviewed on 05/12/2017
Debbie K.
HR Manager
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/10/2018

"Much improved from 2 years go- great software!"

Pros: If you have used QuickBooks in the workplace, then you will love Quicken. It is very similar and the updates they have made in the last few years has made a big difference. Keep track of all expenses in a seamless platform that multi-users can have access to. Works great for home budget.

Cons: Customer service and getting access to support is difficult. Minimal channels to get a real person to assist when you run into snags.

• Reviewed on 08/10/2018
Debie H.
Self employed
Sports, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 11/04/2019

"Using quicken makes my life easy"

Comments: Once you have everything loaded it’s a breeze to get through. Easy to find reports, updating is simple.

Pros: I love the fact that at any given time I can get on and know exactly where my Financial situation is at.

Cons: May be a little confusing to get things loaded and started up

• Reviewed on 11/04/2019
Luis G.
Physician
Civic & Social Organization, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2018

"Quicken has lost its way"

Pros: Quicken allows for standard management of finances and in the deluxe version has a host of features including budget management, investement management, and more.

Cons: The problem with Quicken in today's age is that it has passed through many corporate hands and the core problems have never been fully addressed. The system is glitchy. The connections to banks and financial institutions are sometimes inaccurate. But worst of all, the platform has changed to a subscription model where previously owning the software allowed for many years of use. After an "update" in the fall of 2017, my 2016 version stopped working. Online support stated it was a problem with the update and we needed to reinstall, but when we did we could no longer download our transactions. This was a scheming and greedy way for Quicken to try to push users into the 2018 subscription model. With that kind of treatment of it's customers, I'd recommend you go elsewhere.

• Reviewed on 09/02/2018
Adam W.
VP
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/10/2018

"I use this program to manage accounts at multiple financial institutions."

Pros: Once an account is set up it is easy to change how the information is represented and generate different reports.

Cons: I have had some problems getting the program to automatically interface with certain institutions but that may be their fault.

• Reviewed on 03/10/2018
Rhonda K.
Self employed
Commercial Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2018

"Great for the small business person."

Comments: Have used for over 15 years.

Pros: Ease of entering transactions . Can also scan receipts and attach transactions for ease of look one up.

Cons: Hard to find how to make corrections and update catagories and vendors. Reports hard for me to customize for my use.

• Reviewed on 14/02/2018
Arthur thomas M.
Inside Sales
Consumer Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 26/02/2021

"Quicken"

Comments: My overall experience with Quicken is extremely positive as it is a very comprehensive product.

Pros: I use Quicken to tie all of my financial needs together. Quicken has an entire suite of financial products, including bookkeeping, payroll, and tax software.

Cons: There is not really anything that I do not like about this product as it has everything I need as well as being very expandable.

• Reviewed on 26/02/2021
Paul E.
Partner
Accounting, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 12/04/2019

"Quicken is great"

Comments: I love it and will always use it.

Pros: Quicken is very easy to use. The information is very valuable for knowing your financial position.

Cons: Sometimes it does not sync with your bank.

• Reviewed on 12/04/2019
Lawrence M.
EHR and clinical informatics coordinator
Civic & Social Organization, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2018

"Good software for home finances"

Pros: Relatively easy to enter, categorize, track and report on home finance data on your local workstation.

Cons: The mobile app is not user friendly and does not consistently sync with data stored on local device.

• Reviewed on 25/02/2018