15 years helping Australian businesses

About Box

Box empowers teams to work from anywhere with a single, secure collaboration platform built for the entire content lifecycle.

Learn more about Box

Pros:

Easier to use than Dropbox. Better customer service.

Cons:

If you don't know what "folder" a document is in - or even its exact document name, the search tool can be very difficult, and almost useless.

Box ratings

4.5
4.2
4.4
4.3

8.3/10

Box has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 5,315 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Box before?

Filter reviews (5,315)

Przemek
Przemek
Lead, Infrastructure Specialist in Poland
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

The best solution for content management

Comments: Overall I am very happy with the Box. I work with files for several hours every day and doing this with Box gives me a lot of satisfaction from smooth tasks. I would not replace Box with any other competitive tool such as OneDrive.

Pros:

I really like that box controls versions of stored documents and stores all previous revisions. This makes it much easier to work with documents that require frequent updates by many people. The tool is very intuitive and easy to use. Controlling and granting access is not difficult. The adaptation of Box in my department was practically one day and did not cause any problems.

Cons:

Box seems to be complete and it's hard to find any shortcomings, but I had a hard time integrating Box with GitHub and setting up file sharing. This required providing many settings that were not entirely clear and required clarification. Later, the process of approving these settings by Box took a while and I think this is the field for improvement.

Tayeb
CEO in Canada
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Solid File Sharing System

5.0 last month New

Comments: I have been using Box for many years. As an early adopter, I can say that the brand has been loyal to it’s early adopters and that is really appreciated. I only ran into an issue once with a storage related issue and their support team had to run a script to fix it but they were very responsive as they tackled my request in a few business hours which was impressive. Highly recommend.

Pros:

Generous data storage allowance Competitive Pricing Top-notch support team and I’m talking from experience.

Cons:

Sometimes some files get duplicated so you might have to delete doubles manually but I’d rather have my files doubled than deleted. So far the archiving on Box has been a pleasant experience as I never experienced data loss.

Krystal
Research in US
Computer & Network Security, 11–50 Employees

I do suggest box great app

3.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: It was good I won't complain like I said just a couple of bugs fixes and it'll be okay

Pros:

It's just like Google any other storage or app it's all competitive

Cons:

I couldn't find nothing it really stood out it's just the same as any other drive

Rhia Roxanne
eLearning Designer in Philippines
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Organising Tons of Large Files

Pros:

That it's easy to use from different gadgets - laptop, mobile and easy enough to use. I also like that it is not hard to share it with different types of emails whether for work, personal unlike others.

Cons:

I can't think of any because most of it's features are really similar others. Apart of course from it's diffirentiator.

Brooke
Vice President in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

Google & Microsoft docs can finally live in the same collaborative space

4.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

I love the ability to have Google and Microsoft documents all in one folder that can be shared with others, operate in a collaborative space, and keep everything organized for all parties.

Cons:

I haven't yet run across anything that I didn't like about Box yet.

Duvan
Director in Colombia
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Storage and management of Box

5.0 last month New

Comments: My experience with the app is excellent since I needed storage space to free up space and its use in the workplace makes it have a plus in relation to its competition

Pros:

The app helps me a lot to be able to store my files and free up space on my phone

Cons:

The limitations of the free version are something that bothers you since you want to enjoy the app more

Brian
IT Manager in US
Libraries, 11–50 Employees

solid file sharing/storage service

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: We had a very positive experience using the service. We never experienced any downtime, or other interruptions in service. Features all worked as advertised for us.

Pros:

The interface is very easy to navigate, and anyone who has worked with any of these types of services will easily find their way around without issue.

Cons:

There really isn't much to dislike about it. It actually just turned out to be overkill for our needs.

Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 10,000+ Employees

Much better than a lot of the top competitors

5.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Overall, box is much better than the other cloud storage services I used.

Pros:

The desktop program is very light and syncs very well. The canvas option is very useful for collaboration. The box client does not crash as much while dealing with large about of data. Also while it syncs a lot of files, the computer does not get slowed down.

Cons:

The link expiration is a bit finicky. When I turned the link expiration off for public sharing, it turns on itself automatically the next time I logged back into my box account.

Alexis
NA in US
Writing & Editing, Self Employed

Preferable to others

4.0 last month New

Pros:

I like the security of file sharing. Someone must be signed in to access content, but you can send a code or link to someone who doesn’t have a paid account (they just have to make a free account and sign in).

Cons:

Nothing comes to mind different than all similar products, primarily price.

Industrial Automation, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Box storage is helpful for collaborating cross team

4.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

A good and secure way to collaborate cross teams and a way to create secure storage or files and file transfers

Cons:

Notifications to alert someone that it has been uploaded is not that simple

Leonardo
UI/UX Designer in Portugal
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Great for Content Marketing on Startups!

Comments: When we started our business a few years ago, we did not have enough capital to spend on tools or rather we wanted to invest in more important equipment. That is when I got introduced to Box. Their product quality and security are as good as Dropbox. We never had a security breach or lost a file, and since we offer content marketing services, the number of files we upload and download monthly is too many.

Pros:

The speed to download and upload every single file

Cons:

It is not as good as Dropbox, but if you are starting your business and want to save a good amount of money it is an ideal choice.

Kalina
Research Programmer in US
Computer Software, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Very straightforward

Comments: I use Box Sync pretty much for two purposes, though perhaps they're not the target use cases the developers had in mind! 1) I use it to send files to myself between computers. I have a desktop and a laptop, and it's a convenient way to share large files between the two. For small files, I often use email, but that has size limits. With Box, I can just upload a file on my laptop, then immediately go to my Desktop and download it. Easy peasy! It's even more convenient than using a flash drive. 2) I use it for sharing collaborative files, i.e. PowerPoint presentations that I'm giving with multiple presenters. It's not perfect, but it's the best way that I've found for keeping large PPTs, with multiple presenters, in sync (when I want to use PowerPoint and not Google Slides). I coordinate with the other people so that only one of us is working at a time, and when the one person is done and their changes are uploaded, the next person can take a turn at making edits. PowerPoint does have "auto-sync" functionality but I've found that using this Box method is even better!

Pros:

The software is very straightforward to use. It's a simple interface. In its most basic form, it's just a place you can upload, download, and share files. If you are a (slightly) more advanced user, you can set up "Box Sync" so that a folder on your computer automatically syncs with Box. This is awesome to use as an automatic backup!

Cons:

There's not much to dislike, but if I had to nitpick, it takes too menu menus and clicks to do things like (1) delete a file, (2) share a file, and (3) sync a file/folder. These are pretty much the only three things that I ever want to do, but they are hidden behind like 3-4 clicks and menu options.

Narasimhan (Nari)
Narasimhan (Nari)
Chemical Engineer in US
Research, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Excellent enterprise class cloud storage and workflow integration software

Comments: Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Pros:

I used it and introduced it to my research group when I was in grad school few years back. We also ended up getting a larger size account to fit our needs. University purchasing handled the financial side of it, but I'd like to think our recommendations for enteprise scale buys were taken heed. BoxSync when used in conjuction with a box account does a great job of doing automatic backups on the cloud, that also help in access from different computers/collaborators simple. It can handle large file sizes (5 GB file upload limit) for most work, has excellent integration with word processing for online document editing. Note, I have not tried very large single file uploads yet, the largest has been a movie file of 750 MB. Recently they added notes feature which is useful for commenting while sharing files. Mostly it is a very stable and secure cloud backup tool, great for workflow and content management in groups.

Cons:

I dont know if they ever had a referral program unlike dropbox. No other major drawbacks as a user. By default, it sends a lot of emails whenever anything is changed in the folders. turning off that feature took a while to figure out for me.

Translation & Localization, Self Employed

Good Free Version but expensive Business options

Comments: Storing documents in the cloud as a back-up solution, sharing documents with collaborators and clients.

Pros:

Uploads and downloads are fast, sharing files or folders is easy, as an editor or viewer, and it is easy to use.

Cons:

The Business options are expensive for small businesses since they require you to purchase multiple licenses, not only one. If you get the Individual license you are not GDPR compliant, thus it turns out to be expensive for SMEs.

Alhassan
Research Coordinator in Ghana
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

Box is the perfect all-round solution for all file management needs

Comments: I initially struggled to get used to their folder structures and access controls and preferred to assimilate and integrate them into the existing product I was already using. But after insistence from the team, I was forced to learn and adapt to Box. After a few days however, I started to get the hang of things and ended up using it just as much as I did my original product. I also find it more suited for smaller project teams than the alternative I was already used to.

Pros:

Real time file syncing across all linked devices and accounts is truly amazing. It makes team collaboration in these times of remote working extremely efficient. And we no longer have to keep transferring documents to and fro as email attachments, which is not as secure. The comprehensive audit trail records also makes backtracking and management of unauthorized access and activity very simple.

Cons:

Setting different access privileges for individual team members with access to shared folders can be a bit confusing. The process could be made a lot simpler with a tabular entries with individual columns dedicated to each access level.

Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Smooth and feature-rich

Comments: I use Box to backup and sync shared projects. I appreciate the fact that my contacts can set up a fully-functional Box account for free, something that makes it considerably easier to bring them on board. The interface is intuitive and easy to use, so you get started in a few minutes and then are good to go. The web interface helps you learn about collaboration features that make your work more productive.

Pros:

While most of the time I just use Box as a way to backup and share files on the cloud, I have occasionally used its collaboration features and I find them amazing. Team members can exchange messages, views, links regarding a document that is being drafted. Some of these functions were gradually added to productivity softwares like Office, but you are bound to use OneDrive to have them (and I don't want to be captured by a specific cloud storage provider).

Cons:

The desktop client has had occasional crashes from time to time, but I am unsure whether this may depend on my side (e.g., Windows updates that need some days to be "digested" by the Box software). Overall, I find this product stable and reliable. In my limited experience, I cannot think of any major feature that is not already included.

Priyansh
Priyansh
Owner in India
Animation, 2–10 Employees

A reliable and secure data storage solution for us

Comments: I have been using Box for my data storage needs for the past year and have been extremely impressed with the platform. Overall, I am extremely happy with my decision to use Box for my data storage needs. It has exceeded my expectations in every way and has greatly streamlined my workflow.

Pros:

Not only is it user-friendly and intuitive, but it also offers top-notch security measures to protect my important files. The interface is straightforward and easy to navigate, making it simple to upload, organize, and share files. They offer a range of tools that make it easy to work with my team and clients, such as the ability to leave comments and track changes. They uses robus encryption and multiple layers of protection to ensure that my data is secure. Supports a wide range of file types, including documents, images, audio, and video, making it a versatile solution for all my data storage needs. The mobile app makes it easy to access my files on the go, which has been especially helpful during the pandemic when I've been working remotely.

Cons:

However, there are a few cons to consider. One is that the pricing can be a bit steep for smaller businesses on a tight budget. Another is that the platform can be a bit slow at times, especially when uploading large files. Finally, there have been occasional issues with syncing, which can be frustrating when trying to access important files on the go.

Telecommunications, 501–1,000 Employees

Simple to use, but with some improvement opportunities.

Comments: Box is easy and quick to use; it is so user-friendly and intuitive. They provide you with short tips in popup messages. This interface is excellent to requests signatures, as it notifies you once everyone has signed your document. I like that you have a free option to use which is 10 GB of storage, which is enough if you make sure to delete files you do not need anymore.Box has some improvement opportunities regarding the signing process. Overall it is simple and easy to use (no tutorials needed).

Pros:

Box is simple and quick in terms of sharing documentation, requesting signatures, uploading, and editing content. I love how customizable are the signatures as you may just drag the signature, seals, and date of signature options. Also, the storage capacity you get for the free option is very reasonable (10GB). If you desire to have a customized price for your needs, Box also offers other options with good prices.

Cons:

When you share a document, your coworkers do not get notified in their Box dashboard. They need to check their emails in order to notice that they got new shared content or signature requests. I'd rather prefer that each of us gets notified in Box, as always as we are logged into our accounts. Also, you may not receive your notifications in your primary inbox, but in "Promotions" or Spam.On the other hand, once you request signatures and you get notified everyone has signed the document, you'll have to create a copy of it for you to sign. I would prefer to sign the original document, instead of Box creating a copy of it, so I can sign it too.

Phoebe
Phoebe
Tutor/Researcher in US
E-Learning, 51–200 Employees

Great for Team Accessibility

Comments: Box is user-friendly which has allowed my team and I to overcome problems of needless time consumption. Research projects take up a lot of time because of the amount of data that needs to be uploaded and analyzed. However, Box has enabled my team to effectively work together and independently while maintaining the ethical guidelines of research.

Pros:

As a tutor and a researcher, I love being able to upload videos of lesson plans and lectures so that my team and those I am working for are able to look back on what I said. Another thing I love about Box is how you can share multiple files with anyone you want and you are able to view who has downloaded something to maintain privacy and confidentiality. Box is especially useful for big groups of people. Everything is extremely accessible and easy to learn how to use. I recommend Box to my colleagues in research who want a safe way of maintaining confidentiality in research projects.

Cons:

I do not have any problems with Box so far and I have been using Box for most of my college experience. I have used it for research, tutoring, and collaboration projects.

CK
Software Architect in US
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Highly secure collaboration

Pros:

Box has lots of integrations, which makes it easier to work with it within other tools without having to visit it in a browser. Outside of that, the main reason to choose Box is its security features. The web interface is clean and highly intuitive. It still is loaded with features to customize it for your users in anyway you want.

Cons:

The big downside I see is the speed. This may be due to the level of security configured, but it's noticeable. There are also some UI design issues that require way too many clicks to get to what you need. However, these are for very infrequently used settings (such as finding out storage usage).

Mary
HR Director in US
Research, 11–50 Employees

Easy file sharing from desk, laptop, phone...

Comments: I love Box and tell everyone I interview about Box. We are a 70% remote group and depend on Box for sharing information and collaborating on projects. Applicants ask, "How do you manage a dispersed work force?" and "How do people maintain a sense of team?" "Box," I say, "is a big component."

Pros:

1. Sharing files is simple, no matter who you want to share with and no matter from what device. You can share a document with someone inside or outside of the organization without giving up control of the document. No need for someone outside of the organization to upload any software in order to access the shared document. 2. As an HR professional I find Box to be a great tool for collaborating with hiring managers. I set up a system for resume sorting that allows hiring managers to see just those resumes selected for their review, and allows the manager to move the candidates ahead in the hiring process, or not, as desired. I can then take action based on their actions in Box. It's very efficient. As a small business we do not need expensive, extensive stand-alone software for applicant tracking. Box allows us to record our decision making process 3. Largely intuitive, but in case you need a bit of help, the webinars and how-to videos are very easy to follow. 4. I can access, read and send documents from my phone. Very helpful for those moments at the beach when you realize you forgot to send a document to your boss. It's happened.

Cons:

1. I work mostly from an old Mac. I find some of the interface less smooth than from my PC. For example, when I create a Word doc within Box while using my Mac, the Mac defaults to Text Edit instead of Word. I suspect that's user error, though.

Ricky
Manager, Operations and Finance in US
Pharmaceuticals, 11–50 Employees

Robust Cloud Base System

Comments: We changed to Box awhile back to move our storage from internal servers to a cloud base system so we could easily access our files from anywhere. It's given us a lot more flexibility as we can work on our files from anywhere with internet access. It encourages us to try to do everything digitally and go green. Box overall is a great product for any business or individual who's looking for cloud storage.

Pros:

1. I use the Box Sync feature on a daily basis on my MacBook. Box Sync allows uers to sync folders/files from Box Cloud to your finder so it feels like your just working from finder but it's being backed up the cloud! It's a simple and convenient way for me to access and organize our box files using finder. Our company has a lot of folder/files so I just sync the folders I use the most and I have quick access to my files. Box cloud also has a Box Drive feature which is similar but has one downside which I mention in the Cons section. 2. With Box Sync it's easy to know when your files have been sync to the box cloud with the file icons. 3. Sharing files to internal or external users is simple. Sharing files include a lot of features based on the security levels you want. 4. Another great feature is that it integrates our DocuSign software (e-signatures). I can easily get files signed electronically through Box and not have to log into our DocuSign software. A very convenient feature as I have to get a lot of files signed electronically on a daily basis. 5. Lastly, we basically have unlimited storage!

Cons:

1. One con about Box Sync is that it doesn't seamlessly sync files in finder as Box Drive does. There is a slight delay, sometimes a minute or two to sync to the cloud. However, I have to rename a lot of files and I can't just select a file and click "enter/return" on my MacBook to rename files with Box Drive. So I've stuck with box sync for now. But it would be nice if Box Drive would let me rename files easily. 2. I noticed is sometimes when you preview a file it sometimes takes time to load. It's sometimes faster just to open the file to view it which doesn't make sense when a preview should be faster. 3. I noticed is that the name length view is fixed when viewing on the box cloud. Therefore if you have a lot of files in a folder with the same name but different ending, you see all the files with the same name because the end of the filename is truncated. So you aren't easily able to see a specific file other than clicking one the files. At least have a feature where you hover your mouse over the file and it displays the full name of the file or something. It shouldn't require extra clicking just to find your files. 4. It does have a max file size of 5GB

Mona
Office Manager in US
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

4 in 1

Comments: This experience has left me feeling mostly satisfied and impressed with Box.
They have a great idea here and it saves time in a variety of situations. For me having a document already imported saves a lot of time, I don’t have to go and search for it or try and remember where it’s stored. If I have a question I can ask and receive an answer without leaving Box.

Pros:

This is one of the best because it’s like having 4 in 1. Cloud management, collaboration, assignment schedule, and electronic signature with Box Sign. It’s not too expensive and all the things I get are used daily. It couldn’t be easier to use for electronic signatures, the documents are already in Box so I don’t need to send them out. I don’t have to directly share something for others to see it, but I can share directly if I want to and it’s easy. There is a message board that can be kept open and assignments can be created and scheduled. Box can open Adobe or PDF, Word, and Google Docs files, it’s opened or read all files I’ve imported. This is secure enough to use for legal documents or client records, it’s protected with encryption and requires little monitoring.

Cons:

Box Sign is easy to use but it’s not as good as it could be. I don’t think the cloud storage management is the best, the other ladies at the office agree. File versions became lost and the overall manner of storing wasn’t great.

Internet, Self Employed

The best solution for storing data in a secure and easy way

Comments: I have been using Box as my primary data storage solution for the past year and have been extremely pleased with its performance. Box offers a variety of features that make it easy to store, access and share my important files. The user-friendly interface and intuitive navigation make it easy to upload, organize and share files with my team and clients. The platform also offers collaboration tools such as commenting, version tracking and real-time syncing, which have been essential for my workflow and team coordination. I have also found the platform to be highly secure, with robust encryption and multiple layers of protection to keep my data safe. The platform also allows me to set detailed access controls and permissions, which allows me to share files with specific individuals. Box also supports a wide range of file types, including documents, images, audio and video, which makes it a versatile solution for all my data storage needs.

Pros:

Storing and managing important files requires a solution that is both user-friendly and secure. Cloud-based storage services such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud provide easy-to-use interfaces and strong security measures, making them an ideal choice for safeguarding sensitive data. The services make it simple to upload, organize and share files with team members and clients, with tools such as commenting and version tracking for effective collaboration. The service ensures the safety of your data by implementing robust encryption and multiple layers of protection.The services support a wide range of file types, including documents, images, audio and video, making it a suitable option for all your storage needs. The mobile app allows easy access to your files from anywhere, which is particularly useful for remote work scenarios.

Cons:

While cloud-based storage services such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud offer many benefits for storing and managing important files, there are also some drawbacks to consider. One disadvantage is that the pricing can be high for smaller businesses with a limited budget. Another issue is that the platform may experience slow performance, particularly when uploading large files. Additionally, syncing can be problematic at times, making it difficult to access important files when on the go. Overall, it is important to weigh the pros and cons before choosing a cloud-based storage service for your business.

Nikitah
Professor in US
Higher Education, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Box

Comments: All in all, Box has proven substantially beneficial for the university and for faculty to access materials of a general nature in a more efficient way and though I have not seen the actual numbers myself, I suspect that offloading all of the staff time and energy that went into maintaining and training people to monitored those previous on-campus servers was a price efficient move as well. Equally important in a time of fiscal belt-tightening.

Pros:

My university decided to replace its archaic system of various collective departmental, college, and institution drives and servers with Box. It is a thousand times easier to access from a variety of locations, at almost any time, using almost any communicative medium you wish to employ. In the 21st century the modern mobile educational facility and educator lives and dies on the capacity to not just amass data and research and information but also to retrieve and manipulate it at remote locales in a secure, rapid way.

Cons:

The biggest challenge is that Box has, like many modern softwares, engineered a number of plug ins. I have found that the reliability and functionality of these varies. for example, the general BoxSync application works perfectly but then there is a Box application for Windows 8 and another for Windows 10 which are "store apps" which are not as good at syncing and it is possible you might have both kinds of applications on your machine and that is rather confusing for the user since they have different interfaces and the syncing between them is not as transparent as one might expect. There is a page of these plugins and their descriptions overlap substantially and so it's not always clear which application you should employ in conjunction with your general Box.