Filter by:

• Overall

About Deputy

Deputy: schedule staff, track time and attendance, manage leave, export timesheets to payroll with a click, and stay compliant easily.

Learn more about Deputy

Anthony M.
Anthony M.
Manager - Vending Operations
Publishing, 51-200 Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 27/01/2017

"Reduce scheduling time impact on your business"

Comments: We have over 170 staff in 6 regions nationally. We are looking to expand this to our international teams.
We operate event merchandising at venues all around the country, however, we cannot install fixed hardware to have our team clock on and off for their shifts.
The Deputy experience for our team created greater transparency and opened up a more robust communication culture.
We operate under 3 awards across the business based on location and our team can work in multiple locations, so we needed to develop a script to understand how all the awards needed to interact with each other. Thanks to the thorough API library we were able to completely customize scripts and reports to cut our timesheet approval experience to less than 1 hour on a Monday and the payroll team was able to free up 2 entire days from their week.
Our rostering team has been able to reduce the time working on roster production to 2 days and maintenance of the rosters has become a much more simple task - this can often be done in the app!
Deputy has allowed our business to scale without increasing our scheduling workload. We have expanded our operations team to focus on our business practices and service delivery and because Deputy is part of our team now we have far greater visibility than ever before without additional time invested.

Pros: No fixed hardware required
Scalability
News Feed has our team communicating more openly
Custom Reporting
Award Interpretation - Once scripts written (we run with 3 different awards)
App Experience
Quick Payroll/Timesheet Approvals

Cons: Integration of Enterprise Version with Basic Version - Particularly Locations do not pick up the same address fields.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 27/01/2017
Jenna H.
Veterinary, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/01/2020

"The Daily Users thoughts on this Time Sheet Tracker"

Comments: Overall great feelings towards this product. It is easy to use. Makes sense to the new employees, makes keeping track of my time so much better.

Pros: I love the daily photos your staff have to take. I love that it flows so well with Gusto. I truly enjoy how easy it is to clock in and out on a daily basis. It has a very friendly user format. I love how easy it is to edit the time when I screw up and forget to clock back in after my break. I like how I can see who is working on what days. It helps with planning ahead with the schedule.

Cons: I truly get frustrated when it automatically adds your 30 min break if you did not take one. Sometimes it can be hard to get the picture taken to clock in and out. I have had to restart the device a few times, and when you are done for the day and need to get going, that can be very frustrating. It would be a nice feature to see when other staff are asking for time off, so I do not bother asking for that time off as well if I do not need to take that same time off.

• Reviewed on 12/01/2020
Jon B.
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/09/2016

"Deputy - We love the product"

Comments: We have been using Deputy for about 15 months now and it is a great product that just keeps getting better and better with regular updates and new features. Comprehensive functionality and beautifully packaged to make it easy and intuitive for all users which is key to ensure staff adopt it well. We have used others but in my opinion it is the perfect product for our business.

Pros: It is a very friendly and intuitive product. We don't need to train new users, just add them to the system and it takes them through the basics quickly and easily. We just don't get questions from new staff on how to use it, clear simple instructions on a very intuitive platform just makes it easy to start new staff.

Cons: Very little. Would like better holiday tracking reporting but really not much else.

by Deputy on 27/09/2016

Hey Jon!

Thanks so much for the awesome feedback, and we're so happy that you love Deputy as much as we do! In addition, it speaks volumes that your employees feel the same way. Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions in the future, and we look forward to watching your business grow!

Happy Scheduling,

Team Deputy

• Reviewed on 27/09/2016
Lara H.
Facilities Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/10/2019

"Couldn't survive without Deputy"

Comments: As a company that provides rapid response (24/7) labour hire to Mines & Industrial clients, it is essential that we can advise staff of their shifts quickly & accurately. We can have up to 3 roster changes per day (for 22 staff) and are currently saving up to 11hrs per week in admin time just by adopting the rostering & timesheet features of Deputy. Couldn't survive without this program!

Pros: Easy to set-up with no costly IT service visits. Being a free app removes any hesitation by staff to adopt this software. Can immediately advise staff of last minute shift changes and they can advise of their availability to HR (preventing any clashes)

Cons: Don't seem to be able to approve timesheets from HR mobile phone app anymore.

• Reviewed on 10/10/2019
Raquel O.
Pharmacy Manager
Veterinary, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/09/2020

"Scheduling Software"

Comments: Can be slow at times and glitchy. Overall good and easy to use when working properly.

Pros: Easy to search for shift by employee, Easy to make templates and load templates.

Cons: Cannot filter locations, can be slow to load, Supervisor notifications go to the wrong person.

• Reviewed on 21/09/2020
Managing Director
1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/04/2018

"Easy and simple to use for myself and my team"

Comments: I have shared my experiences with other small business owners. It helps me with keeping track of my employee's hours, ask questions when something looks odd and different and the best thing is that it links directly to my payroll software.

Pros: Flexibility of use on the computer or mobile device. I especially like that the fact that it links directly to my payroll software, no calculations or manual entries required.

Cons: The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't seem very intuitive to schedule shifts with a virtual organization where all of my employees can work within a standard window of hours, take breaks etc. It seems to duplicate their hours if I do put in shifts and I really didn't have time to figure it out so I just don't use this feature.

Owner/GM
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2018

"We use Deputy as a core part of our operations for 34 employees and 2 locations. Works wonderfully!"

Pros: This software Keeps us organized. We love the virtual interaction and giving our employees complete visibility and ownership of the schedule. Messaging on newsfeed and gets us out of text and email. We like the scheduling features and ease of learning for new employees. We are able to be twice and productive with Deputy.

Cons: Would like a more comprehensive workflow approval for managers to approve time off from the app. Something like an Inbox type feature on the app is needed. In order to approve time off now managers have to login on the computer and sometimes we are not at a stopping place to get the laptop out. The mobile features are so convenient!

Gerardo Y.
  • Reviewed on 20/11/2017

"Over all Deputy is very helpful to manage staffing schedule, leave request and vacations."

Pros: The notifications keeping people up to date of their work schedule it helps the staff keep track on their hours and select their available to work with us, specialty on an industry that demand a lot of flexibility of work hrs from staff.
The easiest of making the schedule week by week and keeping conveniently up to date.
If I have an problem with the system their support is always available 24/7

Cons: The inconvenient of not be able to edit Staff profiles.
Since we have staff of different ages is difficult to the staff to understand how important is for the company to keep their information up to date.
So I assume if the Deputy sister will support and enhance the employees with their questions and give them the same guid to use Deputy as the management will be great.

• Reviewed on 20/11/2017
Accounting Supervisor
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2017

"The Deputy systems is time efficient, easy to maintain and operate."

Comments: By using Deputy I am able to focus on other payroll for our employees that is not paid hourly. My accounting team is able to focus on to focus more on other ares of accounting instead of having to tally time cards and running the risk of errors.

Pros: I like the fact that I can do 200+ employees in less than a hour for a two week pay period. No more tally time cards and running the risk of tallying them incorrectly. You log in each day and hit just a button to start a shift that is pre-loaded just for you and your hours. Then when going to lunch of brake just hit the button that states break and when finish hit the button that states end break. It is just that simple.

Cons: The fact that a holiday pay isn't set to pay 8 hours but base on the employees set shift schedule for the day. When you have as many employees as I have and you have to correct them each individually can take a little bit of time. By doing it this way you run the risk of missing someone and paying them incorrectly. Since I have only been using this product for less than 6 months we are looking it this issues to see if maybe we didn't do something correctly when we set up Deputy for our employees.

• Reviewed on 07/12/2017
Judy H.
Judy H.
Business Office Manager
  • Reviewed on 17/04/2018

"Over all Deputy is a great time clock application. Easy to set up and use!"

Comments: Ease of reporting time. The ease of requesting and approving time off for employees. Helps us recognize employees birthdays, and much more.

Pros: Easy of reporting, and requesting changes to schedules. The set up is very easy and adding or deleting people from the program takes nothing. The fact that Deputy holds all employees information even after they have been discharged and deleted is a big plus. It enables HR administrators the ability to go back and retrieve information easily.

Cons: Some of the features are not easy to figure out, not totally intuitive, but with training it evens out.

Barbara B.
Farming, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/12/2017

"Love this app"

Comments: Already explained. This is redundant

Pros: Easy to use, integrates easily with Gusto our payroll app. Love the News Feed for reaching out and connecting with our team. Support is easy and very helpful.

Cons: Would like to load schedule and have a button that says copy ahead XX weeks. Would like comments to be easier - a pop up when data is entered by the employee on the administrator's screen would be nice.

• Reviewed on 20/12/2017
Haley B.
CEO assistant
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 16/05/2017

"Deputy review"

Pros: This software is so simple to use and to read, I schedule people and use it for my own use and deputy makes it so easy to see where everyone is, if someone is ACTUALLY at work when they clock in because of the map feature.

Cons: it would be really good if it could automatically send emailed reminders of up coming shifts to email or something sometimes I don't even get notifications that I have a shift

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 16/05/2017
Jeff K.
Director of Outreach Finance and Opperations
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/12/2018

"Incredible Scheduling Software Even Better Customer Support"

Comments: This tool was crucial to help our small skatepark team get organized in scheduling!

Pros: The Team at Deputy is amazing! The Copy schedules tool is great and I love the option to use Deputy to not just schedule but assign tasks and request time off.

Cons: This product has few cons, but one might be that the notes section is to the entire team and not an individual.

• Reviewed on 19/12/2018
Matt P.
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/12/2017

"simple and slick scheduling software, used in my past 4 previous venues,"

Pros: Simplicty, fast loading, ease of use and good communication. It allows you to quickly chat to team, send notes and receive confirmation of communication

Cons: The ability to extract journals/comments and the privacy behind them. Having the capability to write journals is fantastic, but the android/phone system needs a look at software access.

• Reviewed on 08/12/2017
Anne B.
Practice Manager
Veterinary, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/04/2018

"Easy to use, love the tasks and news feed feature."

Comments: Saves time, give employees a clear picture of their schedule. Easy to use.

Pros: Saves me time printing schedules and approving written requests for time off. Everything is submitted through Deputy and I have a clearer picture of who is working on what day.

Cons: I don't think that there is anything that I dislike about it. I have always found it easy to use. I guess the one improvement I would make is to be able to see when an employee is off for just part of the day on the monthly view.

Larissa S.
Service Provider
Recreational Facilities & Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/04/2017

"Saving me to much time!"

Comments: Deputy has been great for someone like myself who has multiple sites for my business to manage.
Gone are the days when staff arrived in the carpark at their allocated start time.
When they are late now I get an alert and then I am on to them. It has made them all pick up their game and be on time. I love the leave info also. Once staff have approved leave you can't roster them on by accident.
Just want Deputy to develop a Public Holiday category and also staff meeting allocation option and this will be the perfect App for any business.
I recommend it to everyone I know who has more than one employee.
The one bad thing is it isn't very android friendly yet. Deputy have assured me they are working on that.

Pros: Rostering with leave options.
Alerts to when staff are late to work.

Cons: No Public Holiday option
No staff meeting option
Should be easy to make these basic options for all business that need to pay staff for these things.

by Deputy on 27/04/2017

Thanks for your awesome feedback Larissa! We love hearing success stories like yours! Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

• Reviewed on 24/04/2017
Andrew F.
Managing Director
Packaging & Containers, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/09/2016

"What a time saver - Now I can run my business not my roster."

Comments: Wow what a difference deputy makes. I decide the roster and who is working based on the availability that they input. I can see who is working where, how many hours and how much cost at a glance. Then if they can't work they arrange a correctly trained replacement. No more last minute panic ring arounds for me. I can even see how engaged my staff are by how long an open shift lasts. Lucky for me sometimes only a few seconds. Payroll integration is great. Approved timesheets are imported into MYOB and I can pay 20 staff in less than an hour end to end. Do yourself a favour and get yourself a Deputy. You won't be sorry.

Pros: It is so easy and integrated into my system.

Cons: the andriod and apple app features are not the same so training new staff depends on their choice of platform.

• Reviewed on 23/09/2016
Kathryn J.
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2018

"This program revolutionized our staff scheduling, payroll, and communications."

Pros: How easy it is! And the Great customer support! My staff loves it. It has given them a way to take more ownership of what we do.

Cons: I haven't found anything to dislike! I am a huge fan!! The only thing I would like to see added would be a calendar of events, appointments, birthdays etc.

Store Manager
Cosmetics, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/04/2018

"Utilize to schedule team, keep track of wage expenses."

Pros: I enjoy utilizing the reports available to keep track of wage expenses. Also ease of scheduling, and keeping track of the team's availability.

Cons: Not currently disliking anything in particular about the software, software is very easy to use and access from anywhere.

• Reviewed on 18/04/2018
Teresa O.
Retail, 2-10 Employees

"easy, helpful"

Comments: A schedule to check anywhere!

Pros: I really like that I have the app to check things on the go. It's great to have the app for all the employees too.

Cons: I wish it was easier to swap shifts for the employees. Maybe it is but I don't know what the employee view looks like.

Ana claudia L.
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/04/2017

"Great scheduling system!"

Comments: After reviewing a lot of scheduling softwares we decided to use Deputy and it was a great decision. Easy to use and my employees love it as well.

Pros: Scheduling feature
Shift swap and offer

Cons: Connecting to payroll hasn't happened yet.

by Deputy on 13/04/2017

Thanks for your awesome feedback Ana Claudia! We love hearing success stories like yours and can't wait help help you integrate with payroll. Never hesitate to reach out to our team for help in the future and happy scheduling.

- Team Deputy

• Reviewed on 12/04/2017
Stephanie L.
Store Manager
Retail, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/04/2018

"Deputy is so easy to use and really great!"

Pros: Being able to easily schedule employees and swap shifts if needed and being able to publish/share the schedule with employees

Cons: It's a little hard seeing the availability and requests off as easily as I'd like to but overall it's pretty good!

Human Resources Specialist
  • Reviewed on 17/04/2018

"Great program with great online support"

Comments: Easy way to track hours and run payroll for a decent price

Pros: In order to process payroll we have to collect hours from multiple locations and numerous users. Deputy makes it easy for employees to clock in and out by location and the retrieval process to run payroll is fast and simple.

Cons: I wish you were able to put the start and stop of each break rather than just the amount of time someone was on break.

Mark D.
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/07/2016

"Deputy Application"

Comments: I have been using Deputy for 6 months, it's awesome. I can easily see where staff are, export time sheets seamlessly to QBO. It just has made the scheduling of staff and time sheet records so quick and easy. The team continuous improvements of the package is fantastic, already making an awesome package better. It was easy to setup also. You don't need a degree to figure it out. The support team respond very quickly, within 10 minutes.

Pros: Ease of use. Functions. Reliability, no crashes or weird error messages

Cons: Non

by Deputy on 21/07/2016

Thanks for the love, Mark! Glad you are getting great value and we appreciate the feedback! We love helping our customers make a huge impact on their business.

• Reviewed on 21/07/2016
Amber F.
Pastry Chef
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2018

"Deputy is an incredible, user friendly program for scheduling and tracking information."

Pros: ease of moving shifts around, ease of editing hours employees worked, ease of copy and pasting schedules for following weeks, the spreadsheet that gets downloaded for payroll is very clear and easy to ready.

Cons: if you want to delete an employee, you have to go through and delete every single shift of theres before removing them. small headache but still annoying every time.