15 years helping Australian businesses

About Updox

Updox provides you with secure, reliable, easy-to-use solutions for electronic fax, secure text, telehealth, and forms in one platform

Learn more about Updox

Pros:

I like the options of preview documents before managing them, multiple document management, and the customer service.

Cons:

The inability to fax blast to a contact list. The complexity of adding/importing contact lists.

Updox ratings

4.2
4.0
4.1
4.1

7.7/10

Updox has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 111 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Updox before?

Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201–500 Employees

Added feature of PRactice Fusion

Comments: Highly recommended. I love using this. I just think if you don't have any other application then can do faxing electronically use this one.

Pros:

We can receive and send referrals electronically. For me, it's very convenient if you're working from and or working as a Va and you have no access to a fax machine or you don't want to waste any more papers.

Cons:

at first, setting this up is very confusing. you need to have assistance from the company in order to set this up with your printer or computer device.

Cody
Accounts Manager in US
Alternative Medicine, 2–10 Employees

Amazingly Easy to Use

Pros:

The software in incredibly easy to use. I can send faxes from my medical records software to other facilities, and I can receive information and input it directly to patient files as well. This has saved me so much time, and makes running the accounts receivable portion of our business MUCH easier. The tools available cover all facets of thing I need, (highlight, redact, digital signatures, etc.) and I only needed to be shown the tools once to understand how to use them.

Cons:

Sometimes it takes a little while for something I've "printed" to show up in the inbox, but that would be the case for a normal printer anyway. A quick "refresh" of the page gets it sorted, but speeding this process would be my only request!

Renea
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2–10 Employees

Updox is one of the most important programs we use in our office.

5.0 last month New

Pros:

I am able to work from anywhere and complete my job. I can communicate with patients any time of day. Messaging is one of my absolute favorite features in Updox!

Cons:

Telehealth is a feature that has not always been consistant so we also use another platform.

CEO in US

Worst Customer Service in the Industry

1.0 last month New

Comments: Dismal at best.
Waste of time at worst.
Not worth the cost.
Very disappointing.
Disrespectful by only responding emails several days later

Pros:

Nothing. Can’t be expressed in other words. There is nothing to like about a company which shows no appreciation for its customers

Cons:

Horrendous customer service . No appreciation for customer’s time. It’s just a matter of time before a class action lawsuit is brought against this company

Alpha
Medical Director in US

Excellent Product

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Excellent product. Excellent experience.

Pros:

Easy to use. Practical. Quick onboarding. Constant updates. Customize templates. Affordable.

Cons:

I cannot think of anything that I do not like.

Sheila
Nurse Practitioner, owner in US
Medical Practice, 2–10 Employees

Great software option for telemed, secure and easy to use!

Comments: Updox Video Chat has made a real difference in my ability to care for my patients. The quick roll out to address the need for telehealth in the midst of the pandemic helped me to continue to serve my patients when they needed it most.

Pros:

The software is easy to use from both the provider and patient side. There is no app to download, and I find my older patients really appreciate that. Video quality is good. It is secure, which is important in a medical practice.

Cons:

I would like to see better functionality with charting and using video chat simultaneously. Right now I have to either write notes and transcribe later, or use two computer screens. It would be nice if I could make the chat small and put it in the corner so I could see both at the same time.

Joshua
Owner in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11–50 Employees

Dated but functional fax replacement

3.0 last month New

Comments: Fair. It does what was promised. It rarely goes down completely but lately has been very slow

Pros:

Tight integration with our EMR for fast uploads to charts.

Cons:

It’s 2024 and all faxes are converted to PDF. Why isn’t the text searchable? Why can’t we build rules to forward specific senders or cover sheets to specific queues. Feel like Updox is often sluggish or slow for no reason.

Diana
Diana
Medical Scribe/Support Staff in US

Nice platform

Comments: Sales and IT departments are easy to work with. Employees are friendly and knowledgeable.

Pros:

Easy to use. Convenience to use from any device.

Cons:

Crashing issues. It does crash almost daily with slow importing or inability to send to patient portals.

4 years ago

Thank you for reviewing Updox. We appreciate the feedback and are glad our solution works well for your business. If you do experience any downtime, please make sure to check our status update page - status.updox.com. Our status update page will notify you with any issues, provide resolutions and workarounds. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, you can always reach out to your dedicated Customer Success Manager to ensure you are getting the most value out of your Updox experience. Thanks for Updoxing!

Scott
physician in US

Updox is essential

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Faxing and document management. HIPAA compliant. Telemed option is a plus.

Cons:

Sometimes a little slow or glitchy, but outages are usually quickly addressed.

Andy

Updox review

4.0 last month New

Pros:

Ease of use and able to fax out with HIPAA security

Cons:

Not able to use enough texting characters

Joanne
owner in US

Customer service problems

Comments: Excellent until this July, and terrible after that. This summer when they changed their business model they became a totally different company doing a totally different product. With no warning, they were "telamedicine" and not a secure fax catchment system. Probably they were taken over by someone who had vicious business habits.

Pros:

In its previous rendition UpDox was very good and easy to use.

Cons:

They changed their business model and become a more expensive rendition (four times as expensive) without warning and without giving the users a chance to move out. Their customer service did not respond. When I finally talked to a person (after calling sales, because no one else answers) they claimed they had tried to call and email the clinic many times. They did not because they had my personal cell phone that keeps records, and my personal email that does the same. They were lying. Then the representative said I was "borderline racist" because I objected to the fact that their "chat" option, the only one they previously allowed me to use was actually people from another country who had no power to do any actions at all. Then when I finally got a person on the line to cancel, after three months of calling, and three months of charging me four times the amount we had contracted for, they would not refund my money because supposedly they "had been available to use and had tried to contact me." Lying. The new business model. I am contacting my bank to let them know not to accept any more withdrawals from this company.

3 years ago

Dr. Holland We're sorry you've had a difficult recent relationship with Updox. One clarification: Our "chat" option is staffed entirely by our own employees who work out of our Ohio office. We're proud of our diverse workforce that includes staff from different backgrounds, all of whom are empowered to provide exceptional service to our customers. While our business model has not changed (nor has our ownership), COVID obviously had a huge impact across healthcare and our telehealth solution (which we actually launched in 2019) became vital to many providers. Thank you for your previous partnership.

Stacy
Manager in US

Chronic Issues

Comments: Many errors. Chronic issues. We often have to contact support. I believe that the system is slow and outdated. Has some great features, but is so slow, when doing anything. We purchased because this product is recommended by our EHR, but the compatibility isn’t impressive.

Pros:

The ease of the software is easy, as long as it is functioning. We love the reminder dashboard, we however sometimes wait for hours to send or receive electronic faxes.

Cons:

We have chronic errors, and delays in the importing of documents from Updox into our actual EMR. It is supposed to work with our existing ehr, however we have major delays when importing urgent reports into patient charts

4 years ago

Thank you for your review of Updox. We appreciate the feedback and forwarded this information to our Support team who will reach out to you for resolution. If you do experience any downtime, please check our status update page - status.updox.com. Our status update page will notify you with any issues, provide resolutions and workarounds. If you do have any future questions or concerns, please contact your dedicated Customer Success Manager to ensure you get the most value out of your Updox experience. Thanks for Updoxing!

Dustin
Physician in US
Hospital & Health Care, 11–50 Employees

Customer service lacks

Comments: Poor printer drivers make it unreliable and time consuming.

Pros:

It is easy to integrate with Amazing Charts.

Cons:

I rarely leave a bad review. THeir customer service hasn't replied to me in over a week now, I called and no call back. Their instructions to install printers don't even have windows 10 in many of them. The printer drivers don't consistently stay connected. Faxes are often shown with lines making them hard to read. I may change my opinion if they actually contact me to help, but I would chose another software over this if you have an option.

4 years ago

Thank you for your review of Updox. We appreciate the feedback and have forwarded your information to our Support team. Our support team is always available 8:00am to 8:00pm ET Monday through Friday via phone and our live chat. For additional information about chat, please go here: https://updox.com/support.

Hospital & Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Daily Problems

Pros:

Its a relativley good service which works when it does, and the support is really good. They have a status page that keeps users updated on known issues. Virtual printer is a great tool and creating groups and adding users is pretty easy.

Cons:

No export tools for obtaining a list of fax lines, daily issues with various services and for a large clinic such as ours this has been a problem more than once. UI is very dated and the tools they have are limited.

4 years ago

Thank you for your review of Updox. We have forwarded this information to our product team for evaluation. We appreciate the feedback. If you have any future questions or concerns, please contact your dedicated Customer Success Manager. Thanks for Updoxing!

Ruth
physician in US
Hospital & Health Care, 2–10 Employees

Indispensable addition to the office

Comments: Saving time, paper, and effort for faxes and reminders.

Pros:

Updox is my fax machine. It is so easy to use, and saves paper and time. I can import directly to my electronic medical record, I can get faxes from home and respond quickly to requests that come via fax. I t has saved a lot of time for my office staff, they don't have to call patients any more because they get reminders.

Cons:

The reminder system needs to have more options

Richard
Physician in US

Saved our practice during COVID-19

Comments: We perform drug tests at every visit. Switching to Video Chat allowed us to replace urine tests with saliva tests, which are easier to monitor for us. This has helped reduce the number of patients coming through the office and allowed patients to stay at home during the Shelter at Home orders.

Pros:

Video Chats are very easy to use on our end and allow us to take pictures of patients and the results of their tests so that the providers can review them later if necessary. We like that patients do not have to download an app to use, and can access on phones, laptops, tablets, or home computers.

Cons:

The quality of pictures unfortunately is poor sometimes even on newer phones, but this might be a function on internet quality. It would be nice to be able to customize the Summary Page more before importing files into charts.

Matthew
Senior Director of Innovation in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 201–500 Employees

A good solution if you are an EHR user. Needs help as a stand alone product

Pros:

I have not lost a fax or had an issue with faxes not sending. Almost no downtime in 7 years.

Cons:

I do not want to add a number to my contacts when I send a fax. I would like to setup routing rules. I would like to make sending faxes easier for my team: If they had an email address where they could email an attachment with the outbound phone number in the subject.

Barbara
HR Director in US
Mental Health Care, 51–200 Employees

Still on the ledge about Updox

Comments: Overall, after getting used to using the program, I am fairly satisfied with it. Just takes some getting used to how to use it.

Pros:

I have been using Updox intermittently for a little over a year. This program was implented for our company use by our IT guys. I know that myself and many of my co-workers found it confusing and complicated to use at first. It took some getting used to. Now that I have figured Updox out, I can load my faxes fairly quickly and check back for my results. It's maybe not the most user friendly program but it gets the job done.

Cons:

I have told our IT guys several times that I am still able to see other departments faxes and they can probably see mine. This is an issue as I am in HR and handle many confidential documents. IT tells me other depts can't see my documents sent but considering I can see theirs, I'm sure they can see mine. I think there needs to be a clear indication for each dept. that there is confidential areas when using Updox. I don't like that I have to keep "refreshing" to see if a fax went through. Even though I have checked the option for Updox to notify me when the fax is completed, I still never get any alerts.

Suzanne
MD in US

Time saver

Comments: I can fax from anywhere and can communicate in a hipaa-compliant fashion with my patience

Pros:

I use this with amazing charts and it integrates perfectly. I am able to send HIPAA compliant messages to my patience

Cons:

It is not easy to search for something unless it happens to be in the title of the subject

brittany
Student in US
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed

no paper fax

Comments: Overall this system has been helpful during my workplace!

Pros:

I really liked how the software is paper friendly because instead of receiving fax paper through a fax machine, you are able to receive in electronically. I think this saves a lot of paper and also helps import into patients electronic charts easier. I also like how the feature also connects to a lot of EHR systems so that it is easily transferred.

Cons:

There are times where I wouldn't be able to receive fax from other medical practices and would receive many calls of if we had received their fax. I am not sure if it is due to connection or just the software itself but that was one con about this software for me.

4 years ago

Thank you for your review of Updox. We appreciate the feedback and are glad our solution is working so well for your business. If you have any questions or concerns in the future, you can always reach out to your Customer Success Manager - who is your dedicated resource to ensure you are getting the most value out of your Updox experience. Thanks for Updoxing!

vimarie
biller/coder in US

great product

Pros:

The text message feature helps us connect easier with our patients in reminding of appointments.

Cons:

I do not have any cons at this time. Everything has worked great for my use of the system/product.

janet
manager in US

Updox keeps you connected

Pros:

The system is reliable and offers support that prompt and informative. It is HIPAA compliant so our patient's information can be shared securely.

Cons:

Some areas are slightly confusing at first but the great support helps you navigate and then becomes easy to continue on your own.

Tonya
Insurance/Billing Supervisor in US

Honest Opinon

Comments: Only one system for sending and receiving faxes and also the ease of reminders being in the same system also

Pros:

I love the Blast feature of the product and also the ease of dropping in files to be faxed.

Cons:

Not enough characters for custom blast messages and limits on which patients you can include/exclude in the blast messages

Nia
Revenue and office management in US
Hospital & Health Care, Self Employed

Great productivity

Comments: Overall this has been an easy transition and patients seems to enjoy it

Pros:

I like how it it is user friendly and it has help out office work flow tremendously

Cons:

The least thing I like is our her patient portal does not compatible. So we can’t use the forms for patients through text

Sherry
Hospital & Health Care, 501–1,000 Employees

Video Chat Helps Keep our Patients & Staff Healthy & Safe

Comments: We purchased originally for patients to come to our office and be connected to our provider who is out-of-state this year on a fellowship; however, due to COVID-19 pandemic we ultimately began using to reach patients at their homes while we were at the office. Here in Illinois with an extended stay-at-home order from April 30th to now thru May 29th, we are very glad to be able to offer this service to our patients with the help of insurance companies covering this type of service as well during this difficult time. We would not have been able to help patients who are unable to come to our office due to transportation services being limited in our rural area due to COVID-19 as well as those patients who do not want to venture out of their homes during this time.

Pros:

Video Chat was easy to set-up and very convenient for our providers and patients. We simply send a link to our patient's smart phone, allow their camera to have access, and then they are connected to our provider here thru video chat. Our provider can take notes while talking to the patient and take pictures when applicable for documentation and treatment purposes.

Cons:

I can not think of anything at this time that is difficult or could be changed at this point.