STACK Reviews

by Stack Construction Technologies

• Overall

About STACK

Bid & Win More Profitable Work in Less Time with STACK! Cloud-based, Free Support/Training. Create Your Free Account Today!

Learn more about STACK

Showing 1,069 reviews

Rafael M.
Project Engineer
  • Reviewed on 04/12/2018

"Easy to use takeoff software!"

Comments: Staff at Stack are easy to talk to and always available. Also very helpful when you first start up with doing the online training.

Pros: The ease of use for this software is by far its biggest point along with functionality. Uploading pdf files of plans and specs is quick and easy and being able export a table of all your takeoff items helps in the estimating process.

Cons: There isn't very much to not like with this software, overall I say for the price you pay you are getting more than enough for your moneys worth.

• Reviewed on 04/12/2018
Gary S.
  • Reviewed on 28/02/2021

"Stack is great - Do not want to go without it."

Comments: I am not having to print out a full set of drawings in order to do a takeoff and especially every time a new set of drawings comes out .

Pros: Love the easy features to help remind the team of critical items and warnings. Love the take off features to keep sequences in order. Love the layover feature in order to do changeorders. Also love the ability to have many screens open for the same project in order to look at details.

Cons: Would like to see an option to highlight in a similar way I do a Takeoff with an area or in different shapes that can be turned on a degree if needed. Also would like an option to just draw a line or arrow - similar to running a dimension line.

• Reviewed on 28/02/2021
Gregory F.
Directer of Construction

"Very happy overall"

Comments: saving time on takeoffs

Pros: i Liked easy of use , fast learning curve.

Cons: the set up for the project organization and the scheduled section, is difficult when going back to find old projects

Jorda G.
Estimating
  • Reviewed on 10/02/2017

"Best/Easiest Estimating Software to Use!"

Comments: I've tried a few estimating packages and Stack is the most intuitive and easiest to use. The cloud storage is fantastic when I am not in the office and I need to review or edit a project. I am not always tied to my desk so this is a huge benefit!

Pros: Easy to Use. CLOUD STORAGE! Convenient, searchable previous estimates. So quick to organize and no more saving files in the wrong place.

Cons: No cons.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 10/02/2017

Hi Jorda,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of All the Marbles and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team. Have an awesome day & thank you again!

• Reviewed on 10/02/2017
Kyle S.
  • Reviewed on 20/01/2017

"Finally a takeoff software for Mac users!"

Comments: I'm a convert from downloadable software that would run only on PC's. I had to keep a PC in my office for years despite the fact that my base computer is a Mac. Thanks to Stack, I can work on my Mac from anywhere and the functionality is there, the features are there, and most important the accuracy is there too.

Pros: Because this program is based online, I can use it anywhere and on my Mac.

Cons: I wish it was a little easier to batch-delete annotations like measurements

by Stack Construction Technologies on 24/01/2017

Hi Kyle,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Momentum Builders and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

Have an awesome day & thank you again!

Steve A.
Vertical Manager
Building Materials, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/08/2018

"Easy Takeoffs"

Comments: It would be nice for the column labels to separate the different variables on the takeoff. Sometimes its a little guess work to figure out each variable. It would be nice for the plans to be able to overlay and see if changes have been made and keep the takeoff separate.

Pros: Allows for specific takeoffs per item and the ability to export to CSV (excel) is a big plus. It's easy to arrange files in the order you need. The color cooridation makes it easy for the user to customize.

Cons: Sometimes it takes pretty long to load heavy plans.
It's a little time consuming to delete pages that are not needed.
You cant overlay plans to see if changes have been made to different plan versions.

• Reviewed on 20/08/2018
Julie E.
Controller

"Exceptional customer service"

Comments: While many software companies charge for tutoring, help, special requests; Stack offers its customers all of that and more - no extra charges! They are easy to work with, easy to get a hold of and very responsive.

Pros: I like that we can log on and see our plans, take-offs, notes quickly and easily. The search tool is great. Calendar keeps us up to date.

Cons: As with anything its only as good as what you put into it.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 24/01/2017

Hi Julie,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Bridgeway Contracting and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

Jessica D.
Business Development/Estimation Dept.
  • Reviewed on 26/05/2017

"The product is very user friendly. It is a highly functioning software at a great value."

Comments: I have become more efficient with take off. I am able to work on multiple project at the same time. I have been able to open my own business and thrive.

Pros: I like the value for the product. I like that it is cloud based so I can work from anywhere. I like that they have flexible payment options for new or small businesses. I like that they are constantly looking for way to improve the product to keep up with changing technology. I LOVE STACK!

Cons: I have had very few problems to occur, and most often the online help has accessed the issue and contacted me to verify the problem and it was corrected in minutes.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 30/05/2017

Hi Jessica,
We are so glad to hear that you are thrilled with the impact our software is having on your business! We look forward to sharing your input with the entire STACK team.

Be sure to contact us if there is anything you need in the future. We are here for you!

• Reviewed on 26/05/2017
Casey H.
Estimator/Project Engineer
  • Reviewed on 25/05/2017

"Very easy to use and gets the desired results when qualifying bids. We use for every project we bid."

Comments: Qualify bids from subcontractors - ensure correct quantities.

Pros: Very easy to use and teach to coworkers. I enjoy the fact it's cloud based, so when I need to take work home I can access it wherever I have internet.

Cons: Cost - you would have received 5 stars before this year and the cost increase. There are other features that aren't available in Stack that are available in takeoff programs such as E-takeoff through Sage.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 26/05/2017

Hi Casey,
Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Horizon Construction Group and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

• Reviewed on 25/05/2017
Ed F.
estimator
  • Reviewed on 23/10/2018

"Stack works for me"

Comments: i have no reason at this point not to continue to use stack for all mof my plan based takeoff needs.

Pros: I believe that stack has increased my productivity and effectiveness during the takeoff process. the easy to use functions are helpful in listing and coloring items i need. its also very easy to download the colored takeoff drawings to hand to the field or the owner so there is no discussion on whats part of the scope of work.

Cons: i can only think of two. it doesn't work well on Firefox , you must use chrome to avoid glitches. i also wish there were scales for a dual scale takeoff such as profiles of shoulders or walls where the scales are often different between vertical and horizontal.

• Reviewed on 23/10/2018
Todd H.
Estimator / Project Manager
  • Reviewed on 12/01/2017

"STACK TAKEOFF SOFTWARE"

Comments: I've previously used two different takeoff softwares and find Stack Construction software to be the most user friendly. Being able to be remote and have all of my takeoffs at my finger tips no matter where I am is outstanding. I've recommended two options for change to my account manager at Stacked and within three weeks those changes were made in the software and I'm now able to takeoff off my projects even quicker. Their support team have always gotten back to us right away with any questions I've had on the capabilities of the program. I haven't yet used their cost estimating software but look forward to seeing a demonstration soon so that I can fully streamline our takeoff and pricing system.

Pros: Ease of use, remote usage, support staff.

Cons: Not being able to takeoff two conditions at once. Like perimeter metal on an area at the same time.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 12/01/2017

Hello Todd,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback! We love hearing what users think of STACK Takeoff and Estimating software.

Our team is always available to help with any questions you have as you get started with Estimating functionality.

We look forward to supporting the unique growth and success goals of Allied Roofing & Waterproofing - now and in the future.

Happy New Year!

• Reviewed on 12/01/2017
Mike B.
Director of Operations
  • Reviewed on 02/05/2019

"Excellent Takeoff Software"

Comments: Stack has made our takeoff process a lot faster, smoother and more accurate. We can now complete a take off on a framing scope, for example, in a few hours. The speed is also do to the ability to have assemblies setup so we are not doing the same work twice. Set up your assemblies, do your take off, print an entire report on the quantities of the items and the materials it takes to build those items.

Pros: 1) Easy to train new employees on basic use
2) Fast and accurate takeoff information
3) Excellent customer service when an issues or question arises
4) Stack is always listening to what the customers want and they try and make the upgrades and changes as soon as possible

Cons: 1) There are no hot keys to make the takeoff process even faster
2) Since the updated version, the other minor issues have went away

• Reviewed on 02/05/2019
Alan L.
Mgr
Construction, 201-500 Employees

"Game Changing Estimates"

Comments: Stack has changed the way we estimate and instantly generates accurate material lists for every project!

Pros: The ability to customize my assemblies.

Cons: Stack is still in its infancy. Need ability to see item reports and customize accounting features.

Megan S.
Sales Manager
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/05/2017

"We use it everyday!"

Comments: This software saves us so much time in our bidding. We used to order paper plans and to take-offs the old fashioned way where there is much more human error. That usually took 30-45 min. This software allows us to do the same thing in just a few minutes.

Pros: It's easy to use and it keeps all your work available to pull back up at a later date. Everything can be color coded and made as simple or as complex as needed.

Cons: I am not a fan of only being able to log one computer in at a time. There should be a business version that allows for multiple users on the same login or all have access to the same plans downloaded.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 24/05/2017

Hi Megan,

• Reviewed on 23/05/2017
Ryan N.
  • Reviewed on 02/03/2020

"Former users of other software"

Pros: We run multiple computers from multiple locations. With our old software it was desktop based and was not accessible remotely. Also our old program requiered Parallels to run on Mac. With Stack. we can access from any mobile device, laptop and desktop that has internet. It has been a real game changer for us.

Cons: The only Con is you are charged by user. If you have a single account Only one person can be logged on. So if say a guy in the field need to access a take off we did. I can not be logged on at the same time. But with that said any good program will not be cheap to own.

• Reviewed on 02/03/2020
Joshua M.
Director Of Earthworks
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2020

"A great program for take-offs, especially if you're new to estimating or take-off software"

Comments: I'm very happy with the program and have yet to find anything that comes close to competing with their features. The price tag is a little steep compared to some other competitors, but the ease of use, pre-made items and assemblies, and features included with the software are definitely worth it.

Pros: Stack has a very simple learning curve. It's basically a point and click software that allows you to perform take-offs quickly and easily, no matter your experience level. The software also enables you to add pre-loaded or customized items and assemblies to your take-offs so you can create estimates as as you go, saving tons of time on each bid. Perhaps most importantly, their customer service is phenomenal. I have never had a problem getting ahold of a representative, and they usually answer my question or solve my issue within minutes of me reaching out.

Cons: Their estimating/proposal templates could be made more customizable rather than restricting you to only detailed labor and material pricing or unit pricing options, but they offer the ability to transfer any of your reports to Xcel where you can do that yourself, so it really isn't a huge issue.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2020
Jeff S.
  • Reviewed on 04/01/2017

"The new Stack is great, just missing a couple things from the old version."

Comments: I love the new Stack, it works perfectly. The only things it's missing are a couple features from the old version. First, the ability to copy a takeoff. Second, the ability to change a takeoff to something else.
Those used to really come in handy, for example, when working on plans for an apartment building or hotel. Say I need the square footage of every floor. Before, I could measure the first floor, copy the measurement, paste it over the second floor, and then change it to Second Floor whatever.
My favorite new feature, on the other hand, is the ability to do cutouts. If you're taking off a large area, and there's something you don't want just hanging out in the middle, you no longer have to work around it. You can just cover it, and then cut it out after.

Pros: Simplicity and ease-of-use and the various new features all work great.

Cons: The ability to copy/paste and change takeoffs is missing. That's really the only negative thing I can say.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 04/01/2017

Hello Jeff,

Thanks so much for your recent feedback - we love hearing how much our users enjoy STACK takeoff and estimating software!

A member of our team would be happy to help you with the takeoff copy/paste feature. Just give us a call at 1.866.702.6078 at your convenience.

Happy New Year!

• Reviewed on 04/01/2017
Bob C.
  • Reviewed on 29/05/2018

"Powerful, especially in the right hands!"

Comments: We are younger folks in the business who are very familiar with excel and spreadsheet formulas. This program is made for those types of minds. What we have achieved with this program using custom assemblies is remarkable and powerful. This program has elevated our business and shaved thousands off the cost of estimating our projects without sacrificing the accuracy.

Pros: The program is easy to use out of the box/ The real magic is in the custom assemblies. You can create anything you're looking for. At first, these custom assemblies are cumbersome to set up. But once they are set up, taking off a project is almost automated. Add in some nifty features like different scales on the same drawing page, multipliers for different layers, multitool select for deleting and copying... We are very happy with this product for on-screen take-offs. The new excel template recently released is also great.

Cons: Honestly, there's always going to be something an end user wants but most of the things we want are things that are too difficult to apply universally. For example, we would love to see the ability to alter pricing and structure of existing assemblies but the only way to do that is to make it custom. We understand why, because all users draw from these assemblies. What would be nice is to copy groups within a stack assembly.

• Reviewed on 29/05/2018
Daniel frondorf F.
Presient and Chief Estimator
  • Reviewed on 04/06/2018

"Stack's ease of use and accuracy have been mains factors in our success at generating numerous takeoffs quickly, efficiently, and accurately."

Comments: We like the fact that Stack is web based, enabling us to work in an out of the office, or anywhere we have access to the internet.

Pros: We appreciate the ability of the software to quickly set up new projects and to get started working on them as soon as we receive work orders from our clients; the ability to see the underlying plan sheet on which were working is a hidden benefit - we often find ourselves using Stack as a plan review tool as well as a takeoff tool. The mobility of the view on the screen is most helpful - zooming in and out is especially useful. Our clients appreciate our ability to provide them plan sheets marked up with the takeoffs quantities visibly highlighted and in legend format.

Cons: We are civil estimators, and we frequently have the need to perform earthwork takeoffs from cross sections. Sadly, Stack does not yet have the ability to set dual scales (horizontal and vertical) that allow area takeoffs on cross sectional views. This is a feature improvement we've suggested many times when our product reps call us to check in with us periodically (which we appreciate), so we hope this becomes a new feature in the near future.

• Reviewed on 04/06/2018
Anthony C.
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2017

"Fantastic! Anyone who can use a computer, can use this software to easily generate measurements."

Comments: Generating accurate takeoffs and reports as an estimator, to get accurate pricing on materials for our projects is a main role of my position

Pros: I love how easy STACK is to use. I literally can hop on my computer and generate a takeoff and reports of a pretty complex drawing within minutes. I don't have to calculate anything, as this software does the math for me. Additionally, I haven't had to ever use technical support for STACK because it's always live and working when I am, but there is always a button to talk to a representative present on the screen in case I do run into trouble. Another thing I love, is that it's online browser-based, and I never have to worry about saving anything. It automatically saves wherever I have left off on a project. Speaking of projects, STACK also allows one to organize different projects on it's calendar very easily, and things can also be edited/changed/deleted efficiently. Without STACK my job would be a lot harder, and take a lot longer. I'm not even sure that I've taken advantage of everything that STACK has to offer, but as you can see, I am thrilled for what I use it for. I am fairly new to this application, and career, but as you can see, I love it. I'm sure it has paid for itself many times over.

Cons: Sometimes STACK can lag a bit, but I'm willing to say that it has to do with some of the drawings/prints that I have had to upload there, and not necessarily the fault of the STACK application.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 01/06/2017

Hi Anthony,

Mark B.
Vice President/Director of Commercial
  • Reviewed on 31/05/2017

"Uploads Plans quickly, great features and great customer service."

Pros: For me it has to be the speed at which it allows me to get through a large scale take-off. The way I can customize my labels makes it easy for me to separate areas and alternates for each individual project, and then sort them and pull information from with in those labels easily and quickly.

Cons: Not many Cons, but it would be nice to be able to use my delete key on my key board once I have takeoff highlighted versus highlighting the take off then going over to the menu bar and then taking the cursor down to the delete function. It would also be nice to hold down command/cntrl key and select multiple take offs to copy and or delete. Finally being able to highlight a takeoff area and change what that take-off is with out deleting it and re- drawing it, this would be a huge time saver for me when dealing with addendum and design team changes.

by Stack Construction Technologies on 01/06/2017

Hi Mark,
Thanks so much for your recent feedback!
We are so glad to be able to support the takeoff and estimating needs of Phillips' Floor Inc. and so happy to hear that our software is having a positive impact on your bid process.

David A.
Exec VP Sales & Technical Services
  • Reviewed on 02/12/2019

"Stack Implementation into Speacialty Contrctor Business"

Comments: First it controls the flow of information and the non-flow of paper in the office. This is the biggest plus. Secondly for me I can estimate much quicker once I get set up. Which gives me more time to look into the smaller details and ultimately create a better more accurate proposal.

Pros: Foe years I had thought about utilizing a symbol based estimating take off software because we were moving from paper to the digital world. I randomly found this online about 9 months ago. It is everything I would have done. It makes sense because it stores all your basis of the estimate information electronically and you no lounger have to use paper. The cost of Paper alone pays for the service as I estimate in our business model that each contracts salesman was expending roughly $5,000 per year in document printing. The other benefit for us is that because it is electronically stored we no longer have to go through our offices every three months and disposed of all the paper on projects we did not get. Or God knows you deep six a project and the following week you get a call to review the project for contracting and other than your estimate spread sheet you have no visual layout to look at for reference. So you print it out again and then re lay out the devices and bulk materials.

Cons: For me it actually does everything I want it to do other than integration into actual building of estimates. I know that we have that capability but this a cost intensive project for each contractor. Obviously this is not a deal breaker though and perhaps in the future you could offer templates that are patterned after specific industries which would lower the cost of developing the complete estimating solution.

• Reviewed on 02/12/2019
Tim H.
COO
  • Reviewed on 22/02/2021

"Easy to use Estimating software!"

Comments: We are bidding more projects then ever and Stack is an important part of the workflow.

Pros: We love stack for our takeoffs. Cloud service is an essential service as we like to open plans from multiple workstations and conference rooms. We also have multiple estimators who frequently work from home. This software is extremely useful for all of those circumstances. The software itself is intuitive and easy to use.

Cons: The only thing that really bothers me is just load speed of plans.

• Reviewed on 22/02/2021
Jake V.
VP
  • Reviewed on 18/09/2020

"Cloud Takeoff"

Comments: Stack was a significant upgrade to our takeoff process. The speed and being able to natively use it on Mac make this software great. The development team continues to add great features, some of which bring feature parity with competitors, but others are unique and now classified as "can't live without" around our office.

Pros: The ability to log in and pull up all of our project drawings on any computer. The fact that this software is web based is great and makes this platform agnostic. As we are primarily a Mac based office, this is great and does not require virtualization to run windows based software. Stack is also incredibly fast to navigate and bring up projects. Even though our older software was on computer and not web based, it required long waits to open a project and switch between projects. With stack this is almost instantaneous and it allows multiple projects to be open at once in multiple tabs or windows.

Cons: It still lacks some functionality of our previous takeoff software, especially when we first started using it. Much of that functionality has been added since we started using it, and there are a few additional items they currently show as in the pipeline. Once those are released, all of the features we need will be here.

• Reviewed on 18/09/2020
Sunshine M.
Commercial Estimator
Building Materials, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2018

"Great product. Customer support right in app and always quick to respond."

Pros: This product is incredibly simple to use, but a very powerful tool. The calendar makes organizing projects by due date easy. You can quickly see what's coming up and space them out when a larger project takes more time. The search function to find past projects is imperative. Doing takeoffs is much easier now. I can export final dwgs and reports so that my sales rep can go back and see exactly what I quoted and where. All the work is saved so I can back and reference it or change it if plans change. The lines and symbols are easy to read and quick to set up. You can dimension the plans when needed and add call outs. The cloud tool is useful for items I have a question about. I can even copy and paste a line several times instead of having to draw it out each time. Being able to add labels to the takeoff is crucial. It makes my quotes much more powerful when I say exactly where I found each product. It also helps if there is a change to the plan later. I can easily remove one section by using the Geometric Report instead of having to dig through all the plans. The ability to use two screens is awesome! When I find a particular detail and have to match it to the plan, it is much easier to have one screen with the detail and one with the plan.

Cons: Some things are not customizable. I can't change the default dimension color or size. But once you set it, it remembers the changes for that page only. I can't rearrange the sheets with the tabs on top. I have to open them in the order I need. So if I find a detail on another sheet, I may have to close some tabs and them reopen them in the order I need. It does integrate with Excel reports, but Excel charges a monthly subscription for that. I am also waiting for the symbol search tool.

• Reviewed on 07/02/2018