15 years helping Australian businesses

PhotoShelter for Brands Reviews

About PhotoShelter for Brands

PhotoShelter is the leading DAM for visual assets, helping you grow your brand and automate your content workflows.

Learn more about PhotoShelter for Brands

Pros:

I love the customer service-- our rep is out of sight.

Cons:

Buttons move around depending on view making it confusing. Lack of intelligent meta tagging based on previous tags.

PhotoShelter for Brands ratings

4.3
4.7
4.2
4.2

8.4/10

PhotoShelter for Brands has an overall rating of 4.5 out 5 stars based on 252 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used PhotoShelter for Brands before?

Mahmoud
Mahmoud
Photographer in Egypt
Photography, 201–500 Employees

Arrange, store, and share your data in one package called PhotoShelter for Brands

Comments: I'm so thrilled that I have full access to share my work without worrying about security.

Pros:

It's very cool organizing the data and arranging them in files, also working on them remotely.

Cons:

It needs more consideration about the price plans as it is a little bit expensive.

Joe
Joe
Associate Director - Digital Marketing in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201–500 Employees

Robust DAM with room for growth

Comments: We are in year two of our contract and it has taken us some time to get fully on board using the software. so far, Libris has been a big help as we slowly transition all our files off an old in-house server. We have the opportunity now to review each folder and label it appropriately so we can find our assets quicker in the future.

Pros:

Libris has an excellent permissions system. Each collect and gallery can be individually set to be accessible in a few different ways, and then each photo can be set to be expired or rejected.

Cons:

There are three different user types: Invited, Contributors, and Library Staff. For our plan you get unlimited Invited users, which only have access to the front end portal and what you decide each user can see, which is fine. Contributors can only upload files--which is a a type we don't really use. Now the last type is called Library Staff and these users are the ones who really hold the power to edit, name, tag files, and set permissions. The problem is that you only get a small number of Library accounts and every additional seat needed is an exorbitant yearly cost on top of the plan cost

Amber
Digital Marketing Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

Disappointed

Comments: Not pleasant. I was hoping this software would be more useful and be more intuitive.

Pros:

It holds my digital assets in one place.

Cons:

This software is not friendly for video. I'm unable to bulk-change assets if any videos are selected, and singling them out is not easy to do. I also don't like that you have to create an image to be the placeholder photo for a folder, even if the only assets you need/want to have in that folder are videos. It is difficult to filter through our assets. My team and I spent hours adding custom meta data to our assets just to realize that we don't have a way to filter through them. It is also not convenient that video takes a long time to upload and you can't exit out to another page to work on other tasks. If you can help with any of the above issues please let me know.

Jason
DIrector of Digital Communications in US
Higher Education, 201–500 Employees

The best that's out there right now

Comments: Setting up our site was relatively painless and we're just populating our library now so that we can launch our organization image repository int he near future.

Pros:

Great ability to connect with Adobe products. Lots of tagging and organization options. The front end is attractive and easy to use for users.

Cons:

Setting permissions is a bit cryptic, especially if you're using it as a DAM and not as a storefront for a photography business. Only having 2 included library seats is troublesome when using as an enterprise app.

Andrea
Publications Manager in US
Publishing, 201–500 Employees

Libris Review

Pros:

I really like how detailed you can be when doing a search for images. Overall it's a nice streamlined system, but I think there is always an opportunity for improvement.

Cons:

If you use this system on a daily bases it works well and fairly easy to navigate, but new users seem to struggle. It also feels like there are too many steps sometimes.

Jeff
Senior Photographer in US
Higher Education, 501–1,000 Employees

Libris only

Comments: Libris has given us all the functionality and answers we wanted in a asset management solution

Pros:

cloud based, industry standard, support, functional

Cons:

multiple downloads from a search result is cumbersome

Christiana
Programming Coordinator in US
Broadcast Media, 2–10 Employees

Satisfied User

Pros:

Ease of use, for us and various contributors. Like the upload via phone tool

Cons:

Lack of editors/tagger type seats without paying more.

Hospital & Health Care, 10,000+ Employees

Offsite management for your digital assets

Comments: It is has been a very reliable partner to use in our cataloguing and storage needs. You can treat PhotoShelter for Brands and a tertiary backup in your strategy.

Pros:

PhotoShelter for Brands is great because our whole team can rely on a robust system to catalog and manage our vast numbers of photo and video assets for usage throughout our organization.

Cons:

I feel like the interface is in some areas not very intuitive and could use some refreshing. Also, the bandwidth occasionally is slow downloading (which I've mostly noticed with video assets.)

Justin
Communications Specialist in US
Public Relations & Communications, 5,001–10,000 Employees

Libris Review

Comments: Overall we are very satisfied with Libris.

Pros:

The software is extremely easy to use and manage. It was the perfect solution for our photo archive and has proven to be an efficient method of delivering video and photos to end users.

Cons:

At times we have difficulties sharing lightboxes with other people, but I think that is more user error.

Higher Education, 10,000+ Employees

Very versitile

Comments: Our organization uses Libris for media photos to include with press releases, and as a repository for high quality images to be used on our website and marketing materials.

Pros:

The site is very simple and place your photos front and center.

Cons:

Without using the API, there seems to be not simple way to export and embed a collection or gallery on a webpage.

Mike
Director of Photography in US
Higher Education, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Great for the most part but could use some improvement

Comments: Visual and tagged searching is great for our department, but often times we have to share a second gallery via Google Drive for off campus/non-users when it would be helpful to send temp links to external consumers once. Our designers cull lightboxes for projects and pull images one at a time, which is a hassle. There should be an option to turn on bulk downloading for registered users.

Pros:

Tagging and importing is easy. Setting permissions for groups is helpful and the interface is mostly intuitive and useful. Getting our archive in front of eyeballs is easier now.

Cons:

Users are unable to bulk download images. We're a unique case use in which we own all of the images we upload to our account, but still users are unable to download more than one image at a time from a lightbox. Gallery sharing doesn't always work. No option to share outside of our user base without setting up an account for them. Resorting to using a third party service to share files. Price per TB of storage isn't in line with other cloud based providers, nor is there an option to use a third party cloud provider with the interface.

Mike
Marketing Communicatins Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 201–500 Employees

Digital Asset Distribution for Manufacturer

Comments: We love being able to store our images and video in one place. Libris is generous with the space allowance so we don't worry about having to buy additional storage. We really like the unlimited user feature. It allows all of our sales, customer service, rep agencies and distribution to have access to the images and video we want them to have.

Pros:

The software was relatively easy to set up and maintain.

Cons:

It would be nice to have some functionality where we could build a collection of images and send that collection link to someone that does not have a Photoshelter login for us.

Todd
University Photographer in US
Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Our lives are now getting much easier...!

Comments: Two years ago we had images scattered all across various hard drives. Then we "MacGyver-ed" an asset collection based on Lightroom, which works wonderfully for one person but is not sharable in an office environment unless you jump through a bunch of hoops to tuck the catalog on the cloud and put all the images on a shared server, blah blah blah. But since we started using Libris about three months ago we've made tremendous progress in setting up our collections and starting to share them with various departments around campus. We're still barely scraping the surface on the possibilities Libris offers, and still have lots of work to do, to be sure. But finally our images are accessible to whomever we want to have access, with just a few clicks. And the customer support is second to none!

Pros:

The different ways of getting images into the system is great. Speed is great. Batch editing image information once in the system is great (as long as you remember to click the APPEND button!! Maybe that should be on by default?)

Cons:

There are a few glitches that sometimes generate errors during exporting from LR. For example I can't get the "Export with previous..." to work. And some functionality is still being developed, like the ability to make a lightbox downloadable with minimal effort. Everything I've stumbled with so far is minimal: things like the ability to resize columns and image previews in the browser. Not having various layout options except for the standard template. Minor things to enhance the user experience.

Matt
Team Photographer in US

Professional Photographer

Comments: The FTP service is my favorite hidden gem to the Libris. Being able to customize the archive and set up search and gallery perimeters for different users is great.

Pros:

The ease of use, the built in FTP and the ability to access anywhere. Being a cloud based system makes it easy for us to transmit, archive or access from anywhere.

Cons:

I don't have any thing that I don't like about this product. The cost is high, but everything that comes packaged into the product proves that the robust design has been well thought out from the user interface to the admin interface. Libris is build for the professional on the move.

Anna
Art Director in US
Higher Education, 201–500 Employees

A very powerful program that is increasing our teams efficiency!

Comments: I love the project based collections that I can share with people when we have a team working on a project. It collects just the relevant images and allows for fast review. This is a tool we are still learning to flex in it's entirety and I look forward to getting even more for our money as we continue to learn its functionality. The customer service is awesome and one of the main reasons we switched platforms.

Pros:

I love that I can send people in my organization to a place to retrieve the images they need without my being a middle man. It's fast and easy to allow access to relevent people inside and outside my organization based on their needs and the project at hand.

Cons:

It's pretty overwhelming to get rolling especially given the fact that we needed it up and running the day we signed our contract. Taking the time to train and get up to speed given our extreme need for this tool has been challenging.

Serena
Junior Graphic Designer/Photographer in US

Libris has made our photo organization 10x more efficient.

Pros:

The best aspects about Libris are its clean interface and ease of use. It has made my work incredibly more efficient because I am able to quickly search for photos by tags, name, and gallery location, and organize folders to my team's specifications. It was surprisingly easy to learn how to use and the interface is readable and light. Additionally, the Libris team is very helpful and friendly.

Cons:

There are few things I dislike about this software. If I had to make one suggestion, I wish the software would automatically apply a cover image to folders to make it easier to differentiate them if we have forgotten to apply a cover image manually. I also think there could be some improvement with the Desktop Uploader. The interface is much less clean than the website and sometimes is laggy.

Sydnye
Senior Director of Content & Storytelling in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201–500 Employees

Tremendous Time Saver

Comments: Having multiple photographers and videographers upload to Libris is a great way to collect and photos from our activities happening around the world. I like that there are a restricted number of users who can decide in which folders the assets will be made available and who can have access to them.

Pros:

With Libris, we have saved a tremendous amount of time searching for and delivering content to people outside of our team. Many staff members around the world now check Libris first when looking for photos and videos of our athletes, sports and events. If they ask us personally, we send them straight to Libris. The number of direct inquiries from the public have also been reduces. We've been able to use the time saved on other work that needs our attention.

Cons:

Because only one photo can be downloaded at a time, it can be quite time consuming to download many photos.

Jeremy
Director of Athletic Communications in US
Public Relations & Communications, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Libris has provided a product with nearly unlimited potential in digital asset management

Comments: The creation of a Digital Library has allowed us to modernize and organize our digital assets, turning more than 125 years of history out of file folders and onto the web. The ability for researchers, alumni, fans, family and friends to find information that otherwise be hidden away will and has been a major advancement for our program.

Pros:

Libris and Photoshelter's outward facing interface allowed for the creation of the Cornell Athletics Digital Library, allowing alumni, friends and fans access to this digital repository of Big Red history. Photos can be viewed for free or purchased for posterity. Video clips, game stories, newspaper clippings and more will be available for viewing and downloading. It is both easy to navigate on the front end and simple to manage and search on the back end. it's upload and download time and quick send options also allow us to easily manage our media relations functions.

Cons:

Batch downloading can sometimes be a challenge when needing things between nested folders, but that's a user problem. Software really has everything we need.

Alyson
Marketing Automation Specialist in US
Hospitality, 201–500 Employees

User friendly and a great option

Comments: A number of our marketing staff work remotely, and connecting to our image servers via VPN was proving problematic. Libris provided an excellent solution for serving up the best images quickly and painlessly.

Pros:

Libris is very user-friendly. We've used other cloud-based image libraries and Libris is by far the best so far.

Cons:

What I like least isn't about our software, it's that our administrator doesn't update imagery fast enough!

Jason
Director of Digital Media in US
Sports, 51–200 Employees

Been using Libris for a year now, love it.

Comments: Better management of my team's photos both on the field and off the field.

Pros:

Makes it very simple to share photos with other creatives in the company who need photos, as well as outside the company with password-protected galleries.

Cons:

Biggest complaint from users is that public-facing galleries are difficult to navigate. Meaning that if you view a gallery and get halfway through it, click on a photo to enlarge/download it, the user then gets sent back to the beginning of the gallery and has to scroll through hundreds of photos to pick up where they left off. Would be awesome if the public galleries operated like the library, which keeps your place.

Greg
Web Designer in US
Education Management, 501–1,000 Employees

Powerful and Flexable

Comments: Libris makes it easy to find photo assets quickly. As long as images are properly tagged, it speeds up what would otherwise be the most time consuming part of my job.

Pros:

Powerful search tools and the ability to make folders that can be viewed by outside groups.

Cons:

The user interface could be improved, especially for searching

Jayme
Sr. Manager, Magazine & Digital Media in US

Our organization needed to streamline the way we search our robust photo library

Pros:

The ability to batch update IPTC metadata was key for us. In addition, the ability to monetize our photo library is a feature we're interested in but have not utilized yet. Also, prior to implementing Libris, our team would have to load various logo/image assets onto flash drives before traveling to events. Now, we can browse our entire library anywhere we have an internet connection.

Cons:

One challenge we've had is that not all photographers are comfortable with the upload process. We need to figure out how to make the upload process easier for our various freelancers.

Caroline
Digital Asset Manager in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11–50 Employees

User-Friendly

Comments: Aside from the things mentioned above, my experience has been good overall.

Pros:

I like how user-friendly and intuitive it is.

Cons:

I wish custom metadata was available for video and that custom metadata fields for pictures supported more than one choice (example: one of our fields is "constituents". Sometimes a picture might have various groups of people captured and we would like to tag all of them.) I also have encountered some glitching when I add a photo from a gallery to another gallery where all galleries seem to duplicate. Even though they appear duplicated on Libris they have not really duplicated in the system, but the first time I encountered this I thought I had made a mistake, deleted a duplicated gallery, and ended up losing all the work I had done because the system actually deleted my one real gallery. This glitch happens almost every time I add pictures to other galleries and to fix it, I have to log out and log in again.

Josh
Digital Content Coordinator in US
Sports, 201–500 Employees

Libris Helps with Organization

Pros:

Libris is great for organizing images in a library and establishing tags to quickly find specific photos.

Cons:

There should be more customization options for how a user's portal should appear, especially when using it as a way to sell photos.

Brendan
Athletics Communication Coordinator in US
Sports, 51–200 Employees

Using Libris have saved our team at Xavier countless hours.

Comments: The amount of time we've saved on photo requests is incalculable, whether it's an internal or media request. Being able to search keywords and names vs. digging through folders is a night and day difference.

Pros:

The searchable database is a huge improvement over our previous solution of hosting photos within folders on a university server.

Cons:

Would like more storage capacity for a cheaper price in order to store more GIF's, PSD files and videos.