15 years helping Australian businesses

MSP360 Managed Backup Reviews

About MSP360 Managed Backup

Powerful cross-platform backup and disaster recovery that leverages the public cloud to enable comprehensive data protection strategy.

Learn more about MSP360 Managed Backup

Pros:

Ability to backup locally and push those backups to cloud, especially low-cost cloud storage like AWS Glacier.

Cons:

Configuring the different backup options can be a bit confusing at first glance.

MSP360 Managed Backup ratings

4.4
4.4
4.6
4.5

8.9/10

MSP360 Managed Backup has an overall rating of 4.6 out 5 stars based on 219 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used MSP360 Managed Backup before?

Managing Partner in US

Ultimate MSP Backup Tool

Comments: The biggest thing we noticed the ability to white label the product so out clients don't know where we can the software from, it makes it look like it is a in house solution.

Pros:

Most compatible and more customization than any other backup software, works with all storage providers on all OS with unlimited customization.

Cons:

They got rid of their in house ransomware protection and now you have to install another piece of software on your servers to protection them from that.

Ted

MSP360 reseller point of view

Comments: It is a reliable, versatile, manageable backup system. Therefore, I am very happy with it.

Pros:

I like the centralized monitoring. I can look in one place to quickly see the status of all. The green circle on the dashboard is perfect. Of course, if there is an issue, I can usually address it right from the dashboard

Cons:

Restoring files from an image backup is confusing. I don't do it a lot, but I have to look it up every time, and even then it is confusing. I also configuring the retention times is confusing. I wish there was more detail on the impact of each choice. The setup on the Dashboard for a new customer is very confusing at first. I made a list of instructions when I first did it so now I breeze through. However, it was rough at first requiring one to jump around the interface a lot.

Alexander
Founder and Managing Driector in US

Do not use MSP360

Comments: Sometimes I can be a cheapskate. Sometimes being a cheapskate leads me to choose the wrong software. I made that mistake with MSP 360. I have it installed on many client devices and migrating to another software is going to cost me a lot of time. Someday I will find that time and I will be so glad to be off this platform.

Pros:

When I moved to MSP360 it was called Cloudberry Backup and it was not bad. They changed their name and pricing and made everything worse. So I guess the best thing about MSP360 is that it was not always as bad as it is now.

Cons:

The web interface is terrible. It is very difficult to figure out how to navigate the interface to find backup history, restore data, even managing licenses is difficult. The only thing worse than their web interface is the new backup wizard. There are too many ways to mess it up and no easy way to clone configurations accoss multiple devices much less sites.

CEO in US

Best backup for business

Comments: I have used it for several years and it has effectively backed up my systems. I was able to restore data with no problem. Great ransomware protection

Pros:

Easy to setup Simple control panel Great customer support

Cons:

Billing is kind of complicated. Training is not very complete.

Yisroel
owner in US
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

A great MSP backup solution

Comments: Excellent, it brought to me a real confidence in managing my backups, that I can respond quickly if there is any issues.

Pros:

It allows all clients to be on one platform for easy management. I had multiple solutions before, frankenstack. Now all in one place, one bill, one view. Very NiceAlso they have multiple forms of backups, local, cloud, file, image, all of them I implement.

Cons:

At this point I really do not have any cons. I have had good response from tech support when I had issues. They did change a backup type that I was using, which was not secure. The change made sense.

Computer & Network Security, Self Employed

Helps me sleep at night

Comments: I have only needed help once during the installation process and tech support was fast and walked me though my confusion... It was much more simple install than I was thinking.

Pros:

Integrating MSP360 into our workflow was a breeze. The timely alerts and very detailed reports are very helpful internally and with the clients.

Cons:

Could use a more modern web GUI and the work flow tends to jump around... better feature grouping would be great.

CTO in US
Textiles, 51–200 Employees

Best Bang for the Buck

Pros:

I really like the storage options if gives for backups.

Cons:

I have used many backup software in my career 20+ years and MSP360 offers the most for a small to mid size solution.

Ben
Ben
COO in UK
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2–10 Employees

Easy access to a wider range of backup solutions

Pros:

Cloudberry gives us easy and uncomplicated access to cloud backup solutions usually only accessable through expensive contracts with IT management firms. By using Cloudberry in tandem with backblaze b2, we've reduced our offsite backup costs to 1/10th of the price.

Cons:

The setup process is a bit clunky for people without experience but their team are more than happy to help if you get stuck!

Marco
Marco
Director in Canada
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Excellent option for nimble MSPs, pay only for what you use

Comments: Very satisfied, excellent price-value

Pros:

They don't force you to pay upfront for storage, I use their Amazon S3 bucket and the license price is excellent for a nimble MSP (one man band) like myself.

Cons:

It takes a bit to understand purchasing and applying licenses

Excellent product

Pros:

Ease of use, reliability and price. Fast initial backup. Lightweight.

Cons:

Slow restore on mac. Error messages if unimportant files are missed out.

Rob

MSP360 Works at local and offsite backups

Comments: Good low cost backup solution.

Pros:

Easy to use backup software. YOu can do cloud only, local only or both which is the best option. You can pick your cloud backup service like Wasabi.

Cons:

I know it's a security thing but if you lose your encryption password your backups are gone. Keep those safe!

Biotechnology

Server Backup: The best and most flexible option despite some issues

Pros:

I'm focusing this review on the Server Backup edition of CB backup. It's incredibly flexible in terms of configuration and storage options. It will work with just about any cloud provider that you might need, including Backblaze B2. The interface is pretty good , at least compared to the competition. It's got some quirky elements, but I've been able to figure out how to do most things pretty easily. Basically, if you want to choose your storage provider separately and are looking for a tool to access that storage, that can work with different providers and offers multiple backup sets, it seems like the best choice, at least in this price range. The server backup edition offers OS backup, system state backup and bare metal backup restore, which is really nice. I'm using it on WHS2011, where I've previously had to cobble together a mix of Windows server backup and 3rd party options. So far it looks like I'll be able to do it all with Cloudberry which is great, and in addition, combine local and cloud backup flexibly.

Cons:

Backup version control could be improved. I've used crashplan in the past, which has abandoned its consumer market - but crashplan had excellent control of version saving so you could save more recent versions and less older versions - while always retaining some older backups in case you need to do a restore from an older period. Hopefully, CB will improve version control. Another issue for me is the business model. I'm not thrilled that I need a license for every single machine I want to backup - but the real kicker is that there is a 1TB limit on cloud storage with all the editions except the very expensive Ultimate edition. This is surprising at first because Cloudberry is not providing the storage! It is a purely arbitrary limitation that has nothing to do with software capabilities. These days, with large media files, 1 TB is not so large. You really have to search the website to even find this out - it's not described in the product specs. So $29 for the basic desktop version - but if you want to backup all those movies and music and home videos - the price goes up by 10x. On the other hand, they seem to be willing to release that limitation in exchange for a review, so that's okay. The progress bars are not very helpful - you can't really see how much is waiting to be backed up and it's difficult to see how much is currently in the backup storage. Beyond that major issue, I've run into some glitches - but nothing that keeps me from using the software.

Eric

MSP360 a backup solution for MSPs and Corporations

Comments: Very happy overall. MSP360 allows us to manage a centralized SaaS backup and recovery platform. All jobs are managed from a central console. We can use multiple storage providers for redundancy and can manage our own encryption keys.

Pros:

For us, MSP360 checks all the boxes. One of the few providers that support connecting to third-party storage providers like BackBlaze B2, Amazon S3, MS Azure, Drive E2, etc. They offer storage, but it is not required. They allow customers to create and manage their encryption keys. Multiple backups options, retentions, and schedules are supported. Additionally, support is very responsive.

Cons:

The licensing was convoluted to get volume discounts in the past, but they have fixed those issues. The recent addition of FFI backups requires support to enable it on some third-party S3 buckets.

Andrej
CTO in Slovenia
Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

One of the best backup product for SMB and IT providers

Comments: Very satisfied, have been using many backup products in past 20 years and now I am happy and satisfied user, re-seller and admin of MSP360 for almost 10 years and have no plans to switch to anything else. Quite a lot of times I use it to restore some files, which users deleted accidentally or overwrote unintentionally, and process of finding right version of the file is much, much easier than with many other products.

Pros:

What we like most is product being in affordable price range even for resale to lower budget end-users, while at the same time having all enterprise options and, as shown during years of use, enterprise reliability.

Cons:

It is minor, but WEB user interface is a bit odd to me, as I was more used to some on-premises backup solutions. But it just needs some time to get used to, far beyond it being deal breaker.

Marian
Computer & Network Security, Self Employed

Excellent backup software for saving to cloud and local. The only one I use for Windows.

Comments: I know my clients' data is being backed up reliably. I use Cloudberry Lab Backup for clients locally and with AWS S3/Glacier. My clients are home users and small businesses.

Pros:

The gui is well-designed, there are plenty of options. The choice of cloud storage providers is huge. It's extremely reliable. I've used Cloudberry Lab Backup - free and paid - on clients' servers, desktops, laptops for years. Even when there was no free version the price was so reasonable, much more affordable than other backup programs. In combination with Cloudberry Explorer, you can't beat it. Unlike many other backup solutions, you can also save locally too. The best tool for Windows backup strategies.

Cons:

You do have to be fairly technically proficient (which isn't necessarily bad for us tech providers since we have to make a living!) so it's unlikely a regular end user would be able to deal with it. I would like the free version to allow a bit more than 200GB - maybe 350GB - just so I don't worry that a client's backups would stop working since I'm not onsite IT. But the price for one desktop license is so reasonable that if I'm sure a client will need more I just buy one. I did try Cloudberry Lab Backup on the Mac and didn't like it as well as Arq, but that was a while ago. Really this is excellent software.

James
Technical Service Manager in Ireland
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Great value for money product

Comments: It has allow us to streamline backups to the cloud and onboard customers quickly

Pros:

Easy of use, easy to setup, restore from cloud quite speedy

Cons:

Support could be improved, it would be better if you software generated and sent the log files to support when creating a support ticket

Hilton
Senior Network Engineer in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

Great way to back your systems to the cloud or other locations

Comments: Super easy to use and the flexibility of options

Pros:

Super easy to use with a few click you are up an tuning ! I can remotely manage/ create or edit all back ups ! Very easy to use

Cons:

More cloud back up providers like google amd other providers

William
William
High-Performance Business & Financial Coach in US
Financial Services, 11–50 Employees

Simple Set it and Forget It Installation

Comments: I need to run my business without being concerned that my backup data is secure and current. This software has allowed me a set it and forget it set up. Every so often I log into it and check the log files and it hasn't failed me. You can even set it to send you an email upon errors.

Pros:

The software was as simple as following the prompts to get rolling. I like that it has several destination options available to send the backups, that it allows for block back up, encryption, throttling as to not use computer memory or internet bandwidth during backups. You can select directories and exclude file types. It is pretty versatile.

Cons:

I can not say I have any con's on this particular software program because the fee was even one time, not monthly or annual.

Chuck
Co-owner in US
Computer & Network Security, 2–10 Employees

Great value without sacrificing features

Comments: Overall, great solution and price with flexibility on all fronts!

Pros:

The cost for what you get is undeniable. You get all the industry features needed to provide backup and disaster recovery solutions for your clients. We have also had success in recovering data for clients which is the most important during a ransomware attack or data loss.

Cons:

The interface to manage costs and licenses could be better. Also, there could be some improvement on recovering data from the cloud console!

Nathan
Nathan
CEO in Mexico

There is backup, and there is cloudberry backup

Comments: When you want to backup your information, computers, servers, NAS, and make it so that it is not that expensive, there is simply no better option out there.

Pros:

I really don't know the story of this company, but it feels like they have been around forever, they absolutely know everything about backup!!! They are extremely good, one of the few that connects with backblaze b2, it is such a nice thing to work with them, their support exceeds every expectation... there is just not a single bad thing one can say about this company. Everything they do is smart and well thought out. And you have so many extras like webinars where they explain everything. You can't go wrong with them!

Cons:

There is nothing not to like, even the price is awesome, the only issue is that you have to pay for the licenses upfront and only on a year per year basis. Which makes it a bit more expensive to get started, but that is about it. Everything else is awesome.

Mark
Director of Technology & Partnerships in US

MSP360 is THE affordable backup for MSPs and small businesses

Comments: Support has been great and with Wasabi storage, we're good to go!

Pros:

It's price point so we can make our margins but the client can still afford it.

Cons:

It can take some time to get the first full backup.

Jim
Computer Hardware, 2–10 Employees

Support is crappy

Comments: I use to like the ticket support of Cloudberry Labs. I have been a paid maintenance customer since 2013. In the maintenance plan they offer upgrades and support.
Even though they enjoy my annual maintenance fees on 9 licenses they refuse to honor the upgrade clause in the agreement.
I use to recommend the software and praise the support but in the past year it has went downhill fast. They don’t even read the issue in the support ticket and respond otherwise. I don’t not recommend them any more now based upon my real life experience now.

Pros:

Ease of use Ease of install Runs in background

Cons:

Crappy support Annual fee required to keep upgraded Refuse to honor their maintenance agreements

Davide
Director in Italy
Computer Networking, 2–10 Employees

Great chance to solve our customers' needs

Comments: Great esperience: we use it in the MSP scenario with great business success: our customers find our service unique, from different point of view: partner support is great and solved us every problem very quickly.

Pros:

It's one of the real "on-the-cloud" solution, with only very poor effort to install agents on premise. Great reporting tools and very broad set of configurable features. Definitively our choice, after 6-months software selection.

Cons:

at the moment nothing relevant for a negative rate.

Tonia
IT Administrator in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51–200 Employees

MSP360 Managed Backup Review

Comments: My over all experience with MSP360 has been good. When setting up MSP360 the account reps and support helped to ensure everything was being set up and working correctly.

Pros:

The full image back up and the incremental backup. I can choose how often a backup happens and what is backed up as well.

Cons:

MSP360 can be difficult to set up, if you are not carful you may have files on shared drives that do not back up as expected. There is a definite learning curve.

President in US

Best backup Option

Comments: Works well, and it is easy to use...

Pros:

I can backup to any datastore, many options

Cons:

in order to use the managed version of this software, I must pass the password to my data to MSP360. I wish there was a way to "trust no one". If you need this, you can still purchase the legacy version of their product. The company can sometimes roll out new features, without in depth documentation.