Squarespace Reviews

by Squarespace

• Overall

About Squarespace

Squarespace is the all-in-one platform to build a beautiful website, online store, or portfolio.

Learn more about Squarespace

Showing 2,096 reviews

Jessie bell W.
  • Reviewed on 12/09/2019

"Love Squarespace"

Comments: I create most of my client’s sites using Squarespace because it is very easy to use.

Pros: This software is so easy to use and makes creating websites easy and fun. No matter your experience creating websites, you end up with a beautiful and functional finished product.

Cons: If you are a more experienced designer, there is limited functionality for implementing custom applications.

• Reviewed on 12/09/2019
Michael S.
Photographer
Photography, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/12/2019

"Squarespace is one of the best choices for photographers"

Comments: I use Squarespace as a website to showcase my work and keep a presence on the internet. I find it as one of the best and easiest ways for photographers to do this. I find the price fair and the customer service excellent.

Pros: Squarespaces is a great way to setup a professional website for photographers that don't want to sell their photos, but want a portfolio and easy way to grow clientbase.

Cons: Selling digital files such as large series of photos is not practical at the moment and can be improved.

• Reviewed on 07/12/2019
Cydney I.
Founder & CEO
Nonprofit Organization Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/03/2020

"Squarespace does it again!"

Comments: Squarespace has allowed me to acclimate over 30 interns, 15 guest bloggers, and a few editors over the past 8 years to the blogging world with more ease and purpose than ever before.

Pros: I love that Squarespace allows me to set up sites for the many brands I've founded or managed. Each of them can be set up with a different plan, a different feel, and a different purpose. Even the templates are highly customizable so while you know it's my style, no two sites look exactly alike.

Cons: The thing I like least about the software is probably the lack of a tutorial interface for clients and creatives who don't have as much experience as me. There are plenty of help articles and the Customer Support is always helpful, however, I feel like the tutorial for setting up should be much more interactive.

• Reviewed on 25/03/2020
Marketing Manager
51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/07/2018

"DIY Website Tool is a Good Option for Most Web Design Needs"

Pros: While there may be some free options out there that boast the same feature and options in website building as Squarespace, they simply don't measure up. This is a great option for an individual building out their own brand, or a small business entering a new industry, and trying to carve out their niche. The pricing options certainly aren't cheap, but manageable for a variety of budgets. As with most website building options, the larger the site you're looking to build, the more you're going to spend. The ease of use is really what sets Squarespace apart from most other solutions. You can feel comfortable recommending this software to a wide range of skill and experience levels.

Cons: While the ease of use and feature set are certainly a bonus, one of the main things I see as an obstruction is the slow load times. Having a bit of background in SEO, I realize that this is a major factor in how Google views the quality of websites, and unless Squarespace is able to improve their site speeds, they are going to see the SEO of their individual sites drop. For the casual individual webpage or small business owner, this may not be a problem, but it becomes a concern when you're looking at the software for more of an enterprise-level project.

• Reviewed on 13/07/2018
Carly B.
Outpatient Clinician
Mental Health Care, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2020

"Worth looking into"

Comments: I used Squarespace for 3 years before transferring to Wix. I didn't have any problems and it suited my needs for the time being. The reason I switched to Wix was because it was cheaper and had more options to customize my website.

Pros: Setting up your personal or business website is easy to do with Squarespace. You don't need to know how to code. You can get a customized email address through using gmail for an extra $6/month. There are different templates to choose from to begin developing your website.

Cons: While you can customize some of the options are limited compared to Wix. The price is competitive with other options but I found Wix to be cheaper in the long run.

• Reviewed on 26/08/2020
Stephanie T.
Health, Wellness & Fitness, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 13/04/2021

"Squarespace is great if you don't ever need to talk to anyone"

Comments: I'm happy with this platform and will continue to use it. I find the templates really easy to plug into. Overall it helps one to create a beautiful and authentic website. The plug-ins like Tax-Jar, Acuity and Stripe are all very helpful and you have to be diligent at learning about each plug-in separately from Sqaurespace or you won't get the most out of it. I wish there was an option for a clear customer service contact. You have to really search for it and being on a higher tiered payment schedule I'd like the option to simply call a rep for the things I can't figure out only own.

Pros: I love the templates and ease of use. My website is beautiful and I feel proud of what I've created.

Cons: There're things that just don't work. I can't seem to authenticate my email address in the marketing section. I've read all the HELP info and watched the videos and it's just not working. The thing about Squarespace is that they really are great and they don't have reliable or even accessible customer service. I also don't like that everything is ala cart. At first that made sense but it would be awesome if there was a flat fee for different tiers of business. I say this because until you realize what you need for your business you might not even know that Squarespace has it...

• Reviewed on 13/04/2021
Gregory H.
Founder and Chief Storyteller
Publishing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/07/2021

"Squarespace is the Smooth Operator of Content Management"

Comments: I have been using Squarespace since it beta days and it gets better and better. Content management is extraordinary and eCommerce is improving with each and every enhancement and upgrade. In addition to a discount for annual subscriptions, there should also be a discount for multiple account. I manage multiple accounts for clients and the incentive would be a competitive advantage for developers or content managers.

Pros: In an everchanging information marketplace, it is critical to have a software platform that can enable cross sector exchanges of information and ecommerce. I love how seamless the software is from start to finish and most importantly when I collaborate there is a quick learning curve for access and content management. Team building is critical at a time of remote working and I enjoy the ease of access and consistency across all platforms from desktop to mobile device.

Cons: I feel the image library can be improved. At first use it appears clunky, but after a bit of trial and error you see the full functionality of the images. It would be less painful if you did not need to do a deep dive. This needs a review of intuitive functionality. Let a kid try it and they get immediately. For an adult its like a native speaker of English taking ESL.

• Reviewed on 16/07/2021
Maya jade H.
Manager of Web Strategy & Operations
Public Policy, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/01/2021

"Squarespace is my "personal website" platform of choice"

Pros: I'm from the old school, where websites were created from scratch using Dreamweaver, and I also built a custom (but poorly designed) site on Angelfire that I still have today.
Once Wordpress came along, things started to move in the direction of putting the control in editors' hands, so that knowledge of CSS and HTML were no longer necessary to get your content out there.
Today, I daresay that Wordpress has too much of a learning curve, and that Squarespace is taking the lead in "ease of use," as well as the most visually appealing back-end experience for the admin/editor. It's also super easy to set up and very affordable.

Cons: I built two completely different websites using Squarespace (one for personal use and one for someone else's business), and I did not encounter any cons.

• Reviewed on 04/01/2021
Kayla H.
Artist
Animation, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 17/06/2020

"A Great Website Making Tool"

Comments: Squarespace has made my online portfolio unique, eyecatching, and a great way to show off my work to prospective clients. They also consistently have great first time offers so if you are considering using their services you can almost always find it at a great deal.

Pros: It is easy to use, especially for someone who doesn't understand HTML like me. There are plenty of templates that fit each of my needs for my site as whole. I especially love the ways to set up picture galleries, which are most of what I have on there as I use it as an art portfolio.

Cons: Hooking up multiple domains to a single website can be a bit of a hassle, but eventually I was able to get mine running smoothly, and that is a very specific issue to have regardless.

• Reviewed on 17/06/2020
Stacy G.
Website Developer
2-10 Employees
  • Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 24/08/2018

"Squarespace review"

Comments: Squarespace is easy to use and easy to connect DNS settings, It generally takes 24 hours for a site to go live after the DNS settings have been connected. The templates are beautiful, you can choose anyone and upgrade to either personal or business, I suggest business. The trial is 14 days but that is usually enough time to create a site since you are usually just replacing images and text.

Pros: Squarespace is amazing if you are not familiar with code, it has a drop-and-drag function and many visually appealing functions, You can also add additional things like promotional popups (which is your subscriber block that pops up when you open a site), Facebook pixel, google analytics, connect MailChimp to collect a database and ad words. With Squarespace your images won't be converted to low res, you can also add videos but these videos have to be connected via a third party such as youtube or a video service. The best thing about Squarespace is their customer service, their live chats. These experts help you with your issue and if they can't help you with the solution you were hoping for, they suggest alternative methods. SEO is amazing.

Cons: The business package is expensive and if you don't have a business package you can't use a mobile info bar, place a Facebook pixel on the backend of your site and you also can't use Mail chimp to collect a database or a subscriber list. The e-commerce site is not available in rands yet. You also can't have an except dropdown on a page, this is a problem is you have long text and want a "read more" option. You can use anchor points but only if you are paying for a business plan. You also can't have a video on a banner if you are viewing in on mobile.

• Source: SoftwareAdvice
  • Reviewed on 24/08/2018
Dakota D.
Co-Owner
Luxury Goods & Jewelry, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/06/2018

"Absolutely the best website building platform for small businesses!"

Comments: Choosing Squarespace to build my website for my business is the reason I'm able to continue growing my small establishment. Since I'm able to use the analytics and connect further with Google Analytics & Webmaster Tools, I'm able to properly target my correct audiences and monitor their traffic accordingly. I'm able to test what works best for my company, and quickly modify anything that isn't working. Squarespace is one of the software's that I accredit my success to.

Pros: For the minimal price that you pay, you get an incredible amount of features. There is practically an infinite amount of uses, especially if you have even the most basic understanding of CSS, which you can apply to every template. You can easily connect all of your social media, upload pictures, easily migrate content to new pages and templates, the list goes on. If you get stuck on something, the company has page after page of help guides, and since Squarespace is so popular and has been around for awhile, there is even more information and troubleshooting from actual users. The built in analytics are so easy to understand, and all of the necessary information is right there. You can easily connect API's, email servers, etc right on your account. Using the page builder is so easy. From rearranging content, to fully customizing the text and format-there really isn't anything you can't do with your website with this software.

Cons: My only complaint is what everyone else complains about: the templates! There's almost 100 templates now, so there's plenty to choose from. The main issue is that the templates tend to not have all of the functions you want, and you have to sacrifice certain functions for another. For example: you may need sidebar navigation, but the templates your client likes don't offer that, and you can't cross templates. I understand why you can't have ALL of the features on one template, but some templates with crossed features would be great.

• Reviewed on 19/06/2018
Karla R.
Web & Brand Designer
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2019

"Best Website Platform"

Comments: Squarespace has helped me to grow my business without the hassle of endless hours of tweaking and customizing website designs.

Pros: Squarespace is very easy to setup, use and manage. I love that updates don’t require constant tending and managing like Wordpress does. The templates are clean and allow you to focus your attention on the content and clean design. The new Squarespace app is such a huge time saver and allows users to manage their websites and blog posts without having to be at a desktop.

Cons: The new Squarespace app is a bit buggy and occasionally says I don’t have internet connection, even when I do.

• Reviewed on 10/09/2019
Amy F.
Writing & Editing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/12/2019

"Not an Easy Company"

Comments: Please see the con section above this review for my biggest complaint thank you!

Pros: Pros are that they have a stylish looking site and they have many options for templates to use for your site.

Cons: Customer service is extremely lacking. Even when you contact customer service they give you an answer and expect you to follow a video tutorial you never talked with anyone one on one! If you do they make it seem as if you are supposed to have some expertise when they say no experience is necessary in their commercials. I've been using the site for years for several different sites that I run and published as a writer but recently I started taking down my sights one by one and trying to find different companies or Company host them instead. Every little question I have ever had with Squarespace has been nothing but a complication! The only reason I have not taken down my final site to find another website hosting company in its Stead is because I feel the transfer of the site would be much too complicated. I am still in the stages of taking one of my sites completely down and I was told I could not take it down off of Google without going through a million different steps even though there is nothing on this site any longer! I'm thoroughly irritated as this has been very confusing to my customers! For some reason this is the only site I am having trouble with on Google with them so customer service is a big con for me on this site!

• Reviewed on 21/12/2019
Karl M.
Production Manager/Designer
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2020

"Squarespace is beautiful, but lacks some basic functionality"

Comments: Functional and beautiful when it works. Very limiting in the area of sales tax.

Pros: Squarespace makes it easy to build a nice website without too much coding know-how. It's very flexible, even for taking orders for customized products.

Cons: Squarespace lacks the basic function of making certain products tax-free. For instance, we don't have sales tax on clothing in MN, but we do on hard goods. If you sell both of these products on your website, your out of luck because the tax setting are tied to location only, not products. This makes selling both retail and wholesale through the same site virtually impossible without some serious workarounds. Myself and many other people have made squarespace aware of this basic issue for more than 3 years, but insofar they haven't come up with any solutions.

• Reviewed on 20/03/2020
Cheryl P.
Minister of Invitation & New FaithF
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 20/02/2020

"Squarespace"

Comments: I have used this software for several years now and feel I can keep our website current and looking inviting all without having any formal web training.

Pros: I am not a web designer by any means. I was handed the task of keeping our website up to date and to add things when needed. It is very easy to use this software to do those tasks. The help center is amazing. I can find instructions to walk me through the steps needed.

Cons: There is not really anything I have found not to like. The only issue I have had is getting photo blocks to align on a page where I would like them to go.

• Reviewed on 20/02/2020
Jenna S.
Photography, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/08/2019

"The Best AND Easiest Website-Creating Software You Will Ever Use!"

Comments: Squarespace has saved me time, money, and has allowed me to expand my photography business over the past 5 years by providing the perfect place for clients to find me online. Plus, I get SO many compliments on my website! People always comment on how it is professional, clean, and easy to navigate.

Pros: When I first started looking for a platform to create a website for my fledgling photography business nearly 5 years ago, there were a few specific characteristics I was seeking: I needed the platform to be easy to use, quick to set up, and to showcase my photos in an optimal way to potential clients. I found all of that and more with Squarespace! I was able to get my website set up in just a few days and was able to do it without any tears or that "I'm going to pull my hair out!" feeling. If anything, it was the complete opposite! I couldn't believe how easy everything was to set up and how professional my website looked.

Cons: The ONE thing I wish Squarespace had more of: more creative templates. Their website templates are a great, solid "skeleton" (if you will), but you definitely have to put extra work in if you want to make your website stand out from others who utilize the same template.

• Reviewed on 04/08/2019
Marianne L.
Cheif Creative Guru & Experiential Evangelist
  • Reviewed on 08/08/2019

"Beautiful Templates but lacking in Clarity and Customer Support"

Comments: The intent of this site was I thought to make it possible for anyone to easily create their own website and get it up and running quickly. I didn't get that and felt I was making compromises again and again. I started a blog on Squarespace with the intent of linking it to my website - Squarespace said it would be a seamless process - followed the instructions could never get it to happen so it's still not linked. There was a challenge with my G Suite registration when I went to renew and after days of frustration and the risk of losing my domain I found out it was something on the Squarespace side that had not been completed. Definitely not what I thought I was getting.

Pros: I am an experiential designer so my website needs to really give a potential client a feel for what I do. After looking at several products available I selected Squarespace because I felt their esthetic best fit mine. There many beautiful templates to choose from.

Cons: I'm not a web designer but have clear sense of what I want my website to look like. I thought starting with a template close to where I would like the final site to be like would make the process easier and I could get it done on my own. Not the case. Step by step instructions are lacking in information. Inserting text and content is complicated and the final results were not what I originally thought I was getting and found myself making compromises left and right. The template you choose is populated with the elements (font & images) that caught your eye but you have to remove it all to build your content.If half way through you realize as I did this might be the best way to display my images after all you have to start all over again nothing transfers.

• Reviewed on 08/08/2019
Marisela E.
Apparel & Fashion, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/09/2019

"The best website builder!!"

Comments: We have a very professional website, the website is optimized, it is easy to use for our clients, and has brought in more business because of the look of our website. We are pleased with using Squarespace, in that it allows us to update our site easily, make necessary changes, we are able to look at the Analytics and make changes based on that information. We are able to invoice clients through the website, so everything looks professional.

Pros: There are so many great features with this software, all laid out beautifully with the interface. You can start designing your website using one of the suggested templates or a blank site, but right away you can add images and text, manipulate the look/size/overall feel of the site. The best part is that you can see how the changes look right away, you can see your site on computer screen, or tablet, phone; you can see how website looks in the different formats. In addition, there are Commerce features and many others that are excellent. Lastly, the way that files are saved are organized, very easy to retrieve and add onto the various pages, structures.

Cons: There are no cons that I have encountered. I am very happy with how the website looks. The one con is that it takes a bit of time to build the website to your desired professional look... but that is expected of any website building experience. That it will take some time to get to the finished result.

• Reviewed on 05/09/2019
Patrice P.
Entertainment, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 25/09/2019

"Be Fancy....AND Simple....Live Your Website Dreams!"

Comments: Overall, Squarespace gets the job done and looks good doing it! I do hope that there's continued improvement in the area that I mentioned above, but overall, I've been happy with Squarespace.

Pros: What drew me to Squarespace initially were the aesthetics. The style and choice of their templates were a cut above what I had seen on Wordpress or WIX - of which I did try using both platforms at one point in time. I also LOVE how user friendly Squarespace is! Even if you're not super techie, it feels very intuitive and dare I say...fun to use...

Cons: One of my biggest cons lies within the "blogging" aspect of Squarespace. There are a great deal of limitations in formatting, especially if you don't know how to code. When creating a draft of a blog, Squarespace does not *automatically save anything as you go....so I cringe at the times that I've lost an entire blog post because something froze --- the remedy I was told was to simply type out a blog post in another application (Word, etc.) and then post it in the blog section. But I often find myself editing a draft in Squarespace -- making final corrections.....so I have to be veryyy careful to only edit in my "Word" document and not make any changes once I put it into Squarespace or it has the potential of being lost....

• Reviewed on 25/09/2019
Meghan H.
Director of Operations
Restaurants, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/09/2019

"The Best Website Builder for Simple Sites"

Comments: I genuinely love this tool for creating websites. It is easy to use, cost efficient, and turns out a great end product. I have used it to make websites for photographers, restaurants, and sales businesses alike. It is so versatile and every site visitor thinks it's professionally done.

Pros: This software is easy to use, intuitive, and when you can't figure something out Support is right there for you. They have tons of how to videos and instructions that make everything pretty easy to figure out.

Cons: I dislike the spacer feature - it gets pretty annoying to use those instead of being able to snap an object to a grid and align that way. It works much like Microsoft Word in the sense that if you try to resize or adjust something, sometimes everything on the page moves.

• Reviewed on 30/09/2019
Jane R.
Owner and Big Kahuna
Publishing, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/12/2019

"Great design, great features, great support"

Comments: I was first introduced to Squarespace when I hired someone to design the website for my business, and he showed me how to make changes myself. From there I started to play with it and ended up creating simple websites for several clients, many of whom were then able to take over their own upkeep and maintenance. And in the three years I've been working with Squarespace sites, the features and support have only improved. I also love that they're very attuned to what's trending in graphic design, so their templates never look dated.

Pros: The aesthetic. Squarespace's design templates are fresh, current, and appealing to begin with, which provides a lot of options for customization.

Cons: It's not the most intuitive interface ever, but that said, they provide outstanding how-to articles and videos and infinitely patient customer support, so it's not hard to figure out how to do what you want to do, even if you have no coding experience.

• Reviewed on 13/12/2019
Student
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 30/11/2020

"Extremely easy to use but expensive"

Pros: 1) We can easily select the fonts and colors of the site from the side menu so that when you select the h1 or h2 it directly applies that heading structure and design. 2) Very clean. By this I meant to say that every option is properly differentiated and well defined. 3) The easy integration of the site with Google Drive creating a google sheet is very much appreciated. 4) The website is by default responsive and that is really helpful when you are just starting out building a website. 5) I have never ran into a problem where I need to get contacted with the customer care as the options on the site are pretty much self explanatory. 6) There are no pop ups or any things that distracts you while creating the website. 7) I have started learning the website building when there was some offer to use the premium feature for 15 days. I thought that after 15 days I will leave the site and will check out another website building services but I stuck to this site after that as the ease of use is too good and the features are easy to understand. 8) There are no hidden charges unless you yourself purchase any add on premium services and everything goes smooth.

Cons: 1) There is not smart alignment feature in this website building engine. 2) The price of the basic website is too much in comparison of the other website building engines. 3) Here one needs to have the structure ready before hand designing the website as it goes step by step as changing the site fonts and color will be challenging if not decided earlier. 4) The premium email with the G-Suite feature is too expensive then other service providers. Also the advanced analytics are not provided in the personal plan.

• Reviewed on 30/11/2020
Esteban P.
Digital Consultant
  • Reviewed on 20/05/2021

"Best web site builder!"

Comments: Have the choice to create your website by your own it’s awesome, it also has a lot of integrations, accept payments, it’s absolutely the best, it’sa time saver!

Pros: If you want to build your website for your personal brand or business, this is the best choice! It’s intuitive, easy to use and bit expensive at all! It also has a lot of tools!

Cons: There is no free option, but it’s not expensive either!

• Reviewed on 20/05/2021
Cushi M.
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2021

"It seems to work for other people, but it doesn't work for me"

Comments: I tested Squarespace as an option for my business website. After unsucessful attempts t creating a stunning website, I opted for Wix.

Pros: I like the look of websites that other people have created using Sqarespace, although I have been unsuccessful in creating a website that I am pleased with

Cons: It is difficult to create custom layouts. The ability to place design elements where they feel most natural is nonexistent.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2021
Stephen O.
Director of Communications
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/07/2021

"Value and Simplicity, Meet Beauty!"

Comments: I have now built over 10 full websites using Squarespace and each one continues to grow my knowledge and stretch my ability. As I aforementioned, you don’t need to be a pro, but if you are, designing an incredible, impactful and don’t miss this, mobile friendly website is simple and easy.

Pros: The best thing about Squarespace is the ability to create gorgeous websites with little to zero experience. You don’t need to be an HTML wizard, but if you happen to be, you can still take full advantage of everything Squarespace has to offer.

Cons: Honestly, it’s hard to say one. For the mid level prosumer, I haven’t found a single better option.

• Reviewed on 04/07/2021