• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.4 /5
    4.6 /5

About ZenHub

ZenHub powers agile development and product roadmapping for some of the world's most innovative teams working in GitHub.

Learn more about ZenHub

Christopher A.
COO
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2020

"The only solution for teams that depend on GitHub"

Comments: We started using it in our dev teams (most of the company), but it worked so well, that we extended its use to Marketing, Finance and HR. We even created empty repos in GitHub, so that those teams can have their own boards. The cost is reasonable and we ended up with a powerful collaboration tool on shared artifacts (GitHub) and a basic, but sufficient task/project management tool (ZenHub). We even cancelled our Aha! Subscription, because we had simple product needs and the Roadmap feature, in combination with epics was enough for us.

Pros: Ingenious way to bypass the issue of GitHub's poor API and data model, that makes it practically impossible for any integration to offer true value, with minimal overhead. It has just enough features to make our life easy, with minimal overhead.

Cons: Sometimes (rarely) updates may get lost, when done via ZenHub.
You do need to open the GitHub project occasionally, as you don't have exactly the same ability to modify issues and milestones from within ZenHub.

• Reviewed on 12/02/2020
CTO
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/11/2018

"Supercharge GitHub!"

Pros: I love how this software takes an existing feature (i.e. GitHub issue) and literally supercharges it, giving it new scope and meaning. It lets you organize work in a fast, reliable and effective way with teams of any sizes. I’ve been using it with a small team of web developers and it really changed for the better the way we plan our sprints and how well we communicate progress to other stakeholders.

Cons: The learning curve might seem a bit steep, you need to become familiar with how GitHub features like issues and labels map to concepts like milestones and epics, but once you get the gist of it you are going to love this software.

• Reviewed on 04/11/2018
CTO
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2018

"This product helped me and my team manage our software projects better"

Pros: I love that it leverages a product that every serious developer is familiar with (GitHub) and augments one of its core features (Issues) to help manage projects in a much more efficient way.

• Reviewed on 15/02/2018
Max P.
Manager, Professional Services & IT
  • Reviewed on 07/05/2019

"Easier way to manage GitHub Projects, Tickets and Sprints"

Comments: We used to use waffle.io but it is going away so we have tried out ZenHub. It does have a nice UI and makes it easier to look at and review projects and issues, especially with Sprints, but I am not sure if it is worth paying for. We might go back to just using free GitHub's default baked in project/issue tracking and make custom fields to use with sprints.

Pros: Staying ontop of a sprint and moving around tickets in projects is much easier to do in ZenHub than GitHub.

Cons: This software does cost money and not sure if the features it brings is worth paying for each team member to have access to ZenHub.

• Reviewed on 07/05/2019
Solution Designer
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2019

"Nice connection to github"

Comments: We use ZenHub to represent our backlog and workflow. It has epics and individual issues on the board.

Pros: It has the same product management column set up that most PM tools have. One advantage I've seen over other PM softwares is that you can put epics in other epics. This allows you to put multiple epics into one epic to represent a bigger piece of work.

Cons: I don't like that it's limited to kanban. You can't have different boards for teams within your repo (or I haven't figured out how) so you're all working off the same board. There aren't specific boards for sprints so you could set up columns to represent your sprint but it's not as easy as something like Jira.

by ZenHub on 18/09/2019

Hello,

Thank you for the kind words and feedback on ZenHub. You mentioned having a hard time setting up multiple board views on the same GitHub Repo and wanted to help.

We recently launched ZenHub Workspaces which gives different teams the ability to customize their board view when working from the same set of GitHub Repositories.

Here's how to set up your first Workspace:

If you run into any trouble please feel free to reach out to support or myself at any time ([email protected]).

Thank you for being a ZenHub customer!

• Reviewed on 17/09/2019
Ruslan S.
Internet, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/08/2018

"Seamless planning layer for GitHub issues"

Comments: We're using ZenHub to organize and manage the code development inside of GitHub. We use Chrome / FireFox plugins to add the ZenHub layer directly into GitHub.

Pros: 1. It works seamlessly on of the original GitHub site (via the Chrome / FireFox plugin).
2. It provides the detailed guide not only on how to use the tools but on how to manage agile projects in general.
3. It provides a really slick and well-thought interface and usability experience.

Cons: There are some details that I wish would be improved:
1. I wish that sub-issues of an Epic could be ordered (when planning viewing them in the proper order is important).
2. I miss the ability to add automated actions, like:
2.1. Move issue to a certain pipeline when a code review is requested
2.2. Move issue to a certain pipeline when a code review is approved
2.3. Switch issue to a certain assignee when moved to a pipeline
4. ZenHub provides the "Done" pipeline, but the issues there are not actually counted as "done" in the reports.
3. Now ZenHub allows viewing issues as a pop-up in the pipelines. I wish the same experience would be available from the Epic planning board.

• Reviewed on 25/08/2018
Gumercindo victor B.
Software Engineer
Information Technology & Services, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/09/2020

"Awesome option to collaborate"

Comments: I was using this interface about 3 year since now and I feel happy.

Pros: This collaboration tool is so easy to integrate using chrome, and the UI is not complicated.

Cons: Maybe about to get more custom options in stories or cards, and security options too.

• Reviewed on 18/09/2020
Omoyeni L.
Software Developer
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/03/2018

"Integrates well with Github."

Pros: Zenhub is integrated with Github and thus enable me access this program with my Github login. It also provides me with an intuitive layout to monitor the progress of projects I manage.
I have also skipped using Jira and depended fully on Zenhub to delegate tasks to my team members at work ,and for disaster recovery management.

Cons: Zenhub's user interface is very much clumsy and takes time to get used to. It also renders my Github page unusable ,while it is active.

• Reviewed on 18/03/2018
Development Strategy Coordinator
  • Reviewed on 19/03/2019

"Project Management Tools for the Dev Savvy"

Comments: Having used more robust project/task management products in the past, ZenHub feels a little lightweight, but having introduced it to multiple teams who have not, setup and adoption was quick due to ease of use and an intuitive interface.

Pros: ZenHub allowed for our QA and Product Management teams to quickly and effectively work with Development on issues, workflows, and processes. A customizable Kanban board added planning capabilities to help organize our teams' approach to time and work management. Collapsible pipelines and filters allow different teams to easily focus only on what's important and relevant to each team.

Cons: With multiple repositories and a complex workflow, ZenHub can be slow to load. Some additional automation options would be an excellent improvement (things like automated issue assignment based on pipeline changes), or if they exist, make these options easier to find and implement.

• Reviewed on 19/03/2019
Amanda S.
Software QA Engineer
  • Reviewed on 09/08/2019

"Zenhub makes it easier to manage current sprint work"

Pros: We keep all of our issues for upcoming and current work in GutHub, previously using GitHub Projects for our scrum board. The ZenHub extension provides workspaces and make managing agile work much easier!

Cons: Somewhat frequently, the ZenHub tab will not load at all. Refreshing the page typically resolves the issue, but sometimes you have to troubleshoot further.

• Reviewed on 09/08/2019
Research Assistant
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2018

"Zenhub is a lightweight project management tool embedded to your github repo."

Pros: It is a great complement for github. It basically includes most of the functions for agile project management and users only have to install the addon. Great documentation too.

Cons: The main problem I encounter with this tool is that I wish there was a way to create a board without a repo. This might not be a fault whereas an special feature I missed sometimes

• Reviewed on 07/02/2018
Francisco P.
Lead Developer
  • Reviewed on 24/04/2018

"Easier than Jira, but limited"

Comments: An easy to set up management tools

Pros: Is great that you can set up a Board so quickly and integrate it with Github super easily, epics are probably one of the best features

Cons: I feel it can be much better, is not intuitive enough and there is still a learning curve, it would be better if it was more like basecamp in terms of design

• Reviewed on 24/04/2018
Matt D.
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2017

"It's great if you really need it"

Comments: My organization used ZenHub. A lot of people in my organization really appreciated the features it brought to the table, but I didn't find those features very valuable. The killer feature seemed to be kanban for most of my colleagues, but I'm not a huge fan of kanban. We could live without it, I think.

Pros: Seamless intergration

Cons: Adds a lot of noise to GitHub

• Reviewed on 15/02/2017
Matthew B.
Lead UX/UI Designer
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2021

"Powerful project management and status tracking for development and product teams"

Comments: Overall, I'd highly recommend Zenhub to any development or product team as a powerful project management system that will add just what Github lacks in that regard on its own.

Pros: The kanban board is an invaluable view into what our development team is doing. Tracking the status in this way is really helpful as it helps me know when to chime into the process (i.e. during the estimation phase or QA phase). As a product designer, I can keep track of where Github issues are at, easily chime in with feedback during the quality assurance process and provide answers to design-related questions for the development team. My favorite feature is the integration with Github. This adds a layer on top of Github that is extremely helpful for project management and estimation

Cons: I really have nothing bad to say about it. It meets our project management needs.

• Reviewed on 21/05/2021
Gencer G.
  • Reviewed on 08/04/2020

"Take GitHub Issue management to the Next Level!"

Comments: Clean, Fast and neat UI. Better UI/UX experience on team workspace. Everything in one place and manage issues & PRs without hassle. We love ZenHub!

Pros: ZenHub's clean and simple UI makes issues more clear & fun. We find everything we want in one place and still with simplicity. With last update ZenHub makes issues even load faster than before. Since we use ZenHub we never leave ZenHub for issues & PRs! You can create workspace and combine all your repositories into single workspace and manage all issues and milestones from one place.

Cons: At the moment, we only missing one feature, that is, seeing commit hash when an issue closed via Git push.

• Reviewed on 08/04/2020
Megan S.
Clinical Analyst
  • Reviewed on 14/10/2019

"Awesome organizing tool that adds to the feeling of accomplishment"

Comments: Organizing our sprint cycles by team and tracking issues by team.

Pros: Allows clear visualization of issues created by subject matter. Allows for easy filtering between issues. Our team also uses it to organize issues per person for each sprint cycle.

Cons: There is nothing that I don't like about this add on to Github - it's very helpful with organization and visualization.

• Reviewed on 14/10/2019
Trevor B.
Senior Engineer
Internet, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/08/2018

"Power tools for GitHub issues"

Comments: If you like GitHub issues but want to see them in a Kanban-style board, then ZenHub is the solution.

Pros: ZenHub lets you see the state of your GitHub issues at a glance: what's new, what's in progress, what's done. It can pull issues from multiple GitHub repos into a single board, giving a great overview for managers. It has the clean look-and-feel of GitHub.

Cons: For most teams, ZenHub is overkill. GitHub's labels and milestones, combined with its powerful search, are sufficient to organize and track issues.

• Reviewed on 07/08/2018
Ger Y.
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/04/2018

"Better than the regular GitHub Ticketing Feature"

Pros: -Increases productivity when working with the ticketing features within GitHub
-Organizes all tickets in modern software development views
-Good reporting tools
-Integrates well with GitHub

Cons: -When compared to other issues/bugs products, there are not as many features
-Seems like enhancements releases are slow
-Not sure if feedbacks are implemented because I see a lot of enhancement requests that I agree with but it may be closed or delayed

• Reviewed on 04/04/2018
Zach L.
  • Reviewed on 13/04/2017

"Zenhub is the best"

Comments: We have been using Zenhub for quite some time now. I really like how I can see all my issues in one place, and can organize them into different columns to get that work flow going.

• Reviewed on 13/04/2017
Missy Y.
Product Designer
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/08/2018

"Awesome when paired with GitHub"

Pros: ZenHub's kanban view is great for me to understand my project management easily with its ability to filter vastly!

Cons: When zenhub goes down, there's a vague indication that it is not derivative of the end user's side.

• Reviewed on 30/08/2018
Laura W.
Software Engineer
  • Reviewed on 12/07/2017

"Very happy with using Zenhub for project management."

Pros: I like that Zenhub is built right on top of Github and I don't have to go to some other site for all the info. The boards view is a great way to see all my issues or all issues in some epic, etc.

Cons: With Zenhub you don't get as many analytics or reporting features as you could with something like Jira.

• Reviewed on 12/07/2017
Tung F.
iOS Developer
  • Reviewed on 25/07/2019

"Very simple but wouldn't use it"

Comments: nice for simple projects if you don't want to use any other software since GH already comes as a repo
but overall I wouldn't use it for serious projects

Pros: - integration with Github very very closely

Max H.
Chief Software Architect
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 04/05/2018

"Zenhub finally made my developers care about the administration"

Pros: The code of my team lives in github so therefore, so do my developers. We used JIRA for change and defect management but developers found it tedious. Not so with github.

Cons: The UI has some inconsistencies that annoy me:
* Text fields do not store their value unless you press update, but things like dropdowns update as soon as you release the mouse. It makes me uncertain: did this particular change take or not.
* The close button puts the ticket in the closed state (in addition to closing the window) but does not pop up a message that it basically says we're done, nor asks to specify anything. Especially in the beginning, this made it far too easy to remove tickets from the board by mistake.

• Reviewed on 04/05/2018
Tom S.
  • Reviewed on 02/04/2020

"Great product that is central to our engineering workflow"

Pros: We use ZenHub to prioritize and track progress on github issues. It is critical to our engineering workflow. Our engineers and product manager use it every day to prioritize tasks. The product team uses ZenHub to communicate to the rest of the team about progress on different projects.

Cons: I don't have a lot to be critical of for this product. It's very simple. They had to put a lot of work into making it this simple and easy.

by ZenHub on 08/04/2020

Thank you, Tom!

• Reviewed on 02/04/2020
Abdul-mumeen O.
Software Developer
Information Technology & Services, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/04/2018

"Simple work flow tool"

Pros: It's so simple to use that I believe anyone with an experience with any todo list app can easily make use of this tool. It's integration with github makes development so easy.

Cons: I always have to refresh my my page severally before I can see update in different column of my workflow which sometimes can be time wasting and frustrating.

• Reviewed on 28/04/2018