Filter by:

• Overall

About Quickbooks Online

QuickBooks Online is a small business accounting software and app that allows you to manage your business anywhere, anytime.

Learn more about Quickbooks Online

Showing 4,576 reviews

Richard T.
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees

Look very hard at an alternative.

2 6 months ago

Comments: I pay for Full Service Payroll. Quickbooks puts the tax rate into the program - I do not have any access. I emailed a copy late in 2019 stating the tax rate as 0.8%. The staff at Quickbooks entered the rate as 0.08% which is incorrect so only 10% of the tax was paid. I have been begging them to fix this issue. I cannot fix it because they control what is entered. I have letters on my desk threatening to intercept my tax returns because my Unemployment Tax is not paid in full plus I have interest/penalties pending . I get no resolution and have been calling for over a month now dealing with this. VERY POOR SERVICE!!!!!

Pros:

I like the fact that I can track financial records from past years and do comparisons.

Cons:

The software has glitches. If you need help, there is very little hope of ever getting your issues resolved. You will be told to email the technical people and they will respond or fix the issue. I have never had any resolution to this day and I have used Quickbooks since the 1990's. If I could switch to another program without losing all my history, I would do it in a heartbeat. I have learned to deal with the problems but am very frustrated. I have threatening letters from the IRS to intercept my returns because the full service Payroll entered a tax rate incorrectly and I have been waiting for them to resolve the issue for over a month now.

3 weeks ago

It's hard to hear that you haven't been able to receive the support you need, Richard. We'd be glad to take a look at this for you and work towards a resolution. Whenever you have the chance, please email ([email protected]) us with the email and business name associated with your account so we can look into this further. We'll keep an eye out for your message. -Kristina, The QuickBooks Team

Terry R.
Terry R.
Owner in US

Accounting at your fingertips anywere

5 3 weeks ago New

Comments: My experience with Quickbooks online has been mostly positive. I find the best thing is that I can just pull up the software on the web, or in the app on my phone and take care of business while I am out on the road doing service calls.

Pros:

I like that I can access my information while I am out on the road. It's also a bonus that it integrates with my ticking software so that I can just export the information from that and it syncs right into Quickbooks online. I also depend on the ability to input and scan expense receipts so that I don't have to do it when I get home.

Cons:

The price is a little hard to swallow when coming from the desktop version of Quickbooks for so many years. Also there are some features that is in the Desktop version that hasn't been implemented yet.

Alternatives Considered: FreshBooks and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online: I made the switch to Quickbooks online to help with not having to come back to the office after a long day and still have to input stuff into the desktop software. Now I can just go home with peace that the information is already there.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: I chose Quickbooks Online over the alternatives because it was supported by my other software as well as I was familiar with Quickbooks desktop already.

2 weeks ago

Hey there, Terry! We deeply appreciate you taking the time to write your review, and we're so glad to hear that transitioning to QuickBooks Online has helped simplify your daily work-flow! If you need anything or have questions in the future, feel free to get in touch through the Help (?) icon in-account. You can also reach out through our QB Community: (quickbooks.intuit.com/community) Or on our Social Media pages for support as well! All the best! -Faith, The QuickBooks Team

President in US
Information Services, 2-10 Employees

Should be better

3 last month New

Comments: It does help provide reports that I need in order to file taxes correctly. But besides being clunky and making things more difficult to find, it occasionally changes things around so when you go do something that you've become accustomed to doing one way, that no longer works and you have to figure out how to make it work again.

Pros:

It makes my bookkeeper happy. It contained my clients' information ... mostly. It's still Intuit and that company has some pluses, but some minuses.

Cons:

The conversion from the desktop version to online was clunky and created many errors, some of which I still run into and need to correct. And those corrections are not easy to make, nor is there sufficient customer support to provide that help.

Navine A.
Cosmetics, Self Employed

Excellent Software if you have help

5 4 months ago

Comments: I had a live hate relationship with quickbooks because while it was easy to use it can get messy quite quickly due incorrect categorization. That changed when I hired a bookkeeper to look over my books on a monthly basis.

Pros:

Love quickbooks online well because it is online which means I can do my business from anywhere and anytime. Relatively easy to set up and has video tutorials. Love that you can set up lots of subcategories which makes comparing information from different categories easy and more meaningful. Love the new tags feature!!! I wholesale so I can see which wholesale reps are performing the best. Makes bookkeeping and tax paying easy if everything is setup correctly and accounts are reconciled correctly. Love the various reports you can pull from it. Profit and loss monthly, quarterly, annually. Love how easy it is to create invoices and the option to get paid within quickbooks!! No more sending an invoice and then asking for a separate PayPal or square payment.

Cons:

Categorizing some income & expenses can be tricky at times which can mess the books up and make you want to tear your hair out. May Need a quickbooks bookkeeper to keep your books clean or will most likely mess it up.

Alternatives Considered: FreshBooks and Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: Wa e was too basic and fresh books was limited in its functions.

Peter J.
Partner in Ireland
Accounting, 11-50 Employees

Using QBO

4 5 months ago

Comments: The benefit we have is that we can work with our clients on their accounts without having to go to their office or for them to drop a laptop into us. This means we can keep an eye on the accounts and provide assistance as and when it is required.

Pros:

The interface is easy to use and the software is quick to set up for a new business. The support and help features are very good - this is something that many suppliers fall down on badly. QBO has features for businesses of all sizes so as they grow and analysis of the accounts becomes more important the tools are there, ready and waiting. The recent update of the VAT accounting to handle VAT in Ireland is a game changer. We have been very impressed with the data conversion facility to import records from Quickbooks desktop software to QBO. Finally, being an online product means the software is always up to date, there is a proper back up of the records and 24/7 access to the accounts are all key benefits.

Cons:

For a small or new business with no familiarity with accounting the initial interface can be daunting. There are a lot of terms to become familiar with.

Alternatives Considered: Big Red Cloud, Surf Accounts, Xero and Sage 50cloud

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: We believe QBO is a good option for larger and growing businesses because of the more sophisticated features it offers over, say, SURF or Big Red Cloud. The fact that Intuit is a very large company gives users comfort in terms of support and future development of the software.

Kristie K.
Kristie K.
Entertainment, Self Employed

Top Financial Management App

5 6 months ago

Comments: It’s been an amazing experience because it organizes all of my costs and data. I don’t spend as much as I used to now that I categorize my business and personal costs. It’s always a good sign to keep the personal costs and see how much I need to save each time I get paid. I categorize all of my direct deposit as business costs and the money I spend when I got shopping as personal costs.

Pros:

This app is great for those who own a business or is self-employed and likes having one app to store all the data on costs. I love being able to choose whether the cost is business-related or personal. The bank accounts are all linked to this one app and I can keep a record of what goes in my account and what is spent. I keep a track of every cent I use and spend. My favorite is seeing how much I earn and how much my business profits within a year.

Cons:

Sometimes, the bank accounts get disconnected due to internet issue last and it can take a while to link the accounts again. The accounts get disconnected for unknown reasons even if I don’t change my account information on the bank account site. It can take a few hours to a few days to reconnect and retrieve the costs.

Entertainment, 2-10 Employees

Would recommend for anyone who is overwhelmed with by their accounting process

4 7 months ago

Comments: Has been so nice to get organized and have everything in one place. It really helped to analyze and get controls on spending, collecting receivables, and putting out monthly profit and loss statements.

Pros:

The best feature for our company was the bank interface. All our expenses on all bank accounts and credit cards are all downloaded automatically. Even better is you can train this process using rules so that recurring transactions can be classified immediately resulting in little to no work on the user part. Reconciliation is nearly done at the end of the month as any transaction that is entered through the connection to the bank is automatically checked and matched for reconciliation. Tracking vendors for year end 1099 forms is also a great feature we use annually.

Cons:

Cons are that if you do not the rules of accounting and are a small business owner with a tight budget and cannot an accountant, you really need to do your homework on what and when to do certain processes like turning the year over. Sometimes the software can run a little heavy on our computer, but there is an installable version you can put on your computer to resolve the issue. The help topics have not been much of a help. I usually refer to google searches as opposed to the topic center included in the software.

Alternatives Considered: FreshBooks and Zoho Expense

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online: We switched because we were using a system to record transactions was antiquated and prone to human error upon entry not to mention the data entry process was very time consuming. We also needed everything all in one place to be a more effective strategy.

Switched From: Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: We ultimately chose Quickbooks for its brand recognition and excellent online reviews. Internet based operations was also a very attractive feature.

Joshua M.
Joshua M.
Real Estate, 2-10 Employees

It's The Standard, But Not Because It's The Best

5 10 months ago

Comments: Overall, we still use it because it's the best option for our accountant and it integrates well with our business management software. However, if another stable option presented itself with a similar feature set but providing a better client experience I would absolutely consider moving to another product.

Pros:

The biggest pro of Quickbooks is that your accountant is going to be very familiar with it. The second biggest pro is that it's probably going to be integrated with whatever software you use to manage your business.

Cons:

The software can be quite "buggy" at times, adjusting options randomly with no explanation. Not only this, but it can be difficult to get certain features to even work. For example, the T-Sheets integrations never exported our employee information over, which defeated the purpose of using T-Sheets versus another time tracker. Neither the Quickbooks nor T-Sheets customer support could ever find out why this was not working. On the subject of Quickbooks customer support, they don't seem to be very well educated in the software itself. The times I've had to contact them, they were not very helpful and didn't seem to have any more knowledge of the product than I had.

Alternatives Considered: Wave Accounting

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online: Needed a more extensive feature set and something an accountant could access remotely

Switched From: Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: It's still the standard option for accountants and integrates with everything we need.

Lisa N.
Director in UK

QBO helps me to manage

5 last year

Comments: My overall experience with the software has been overhwelmingly positive. I can use it to bill clients, attach timesheets, run payroll, connect to the bank and reconcile, and also connect the credit card to the system. It's been really handy.

Pros:

I like the fact that payroll is integrated, I love the automated reporting (saves me having to remember to send reports), I like that you can upload documents to it, that you can now send in / attach receipts to it, and that you can do quite detailed reporting and drill down on numbers easily, that you can lock the records to stop people going back in and changing anything by mistake, and that reports can be by classes, so you can monitor spending and income by 'class' / project. I like the reporting functionality and the ease of use.

Cons:

I'd like the receipt capturing software to be a bit better (its basic at the moment, but I'm sure it'll improve as it was only a feature added this year), I don't like the fact that although my paypal links, (I have multi currency within paypal) and this doesn't seem to reflect well within the software.

Dan P.
Staff Accountant in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees

Great Product for Small Businesses

4 2 years ago

Comments: Our experience has overall been very good. The price is very reasonable and has made things easier to use. Also, it has saved our company a lot of time and made things very efficient.

Pros:

I like how easy the product is to use. I find it very easy to navigate and figure out how to use different parts of the software. Also, I like that they are continuing to roll out new updates and features. For instance, they just rolled out a feature where they will automatically send out past due notice. This has helped save a lot of time and improved our AR drastically. I think all in all, it has a lot to like about the product.

Cons:

I think the reporting can improve a lot. They do have Fathom reporting, but that seems hard to use. I would like for more straight forward reporting that is easier to use. I think their customer service could also improve. Whenever I have a questions, they always provide an answer, but it is not much help. It seems like they need more qualified individuals to help out with any questions you have.

Alternatives Considered: Sage Business Cloud Accounting and QuickBooks Desktop Enterprise

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: What had just purchased a new database system and QuickBooks Online interacts with that in real time. Before, we were having to double entry every one of our invoices. This has helped saved time drastically and made our processes a lot more efficient.

Steve B.
Manager in US
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

Great where fits - might leave you looking for more

4 2 years ago

Comments: Moved from QB Desktop. Love having access where-ever and multiple people able to access it. QBO is much less feature rich than QBD. But, with QBD, you have to either log into a server, or remote desktop. It's stuck in the 90's. So, to make it even work, we had to get a plugin to manage our inventory and orders. If QB Desktop version would move online, it would definitely be a 30 year leap back to the present.

Pros:

Quickbooks is easy to use, widely known, and priced affordably. Good for a small business. Having it online was a necessity. Having it link to bank accounts so smoothly is nice.

Cons:

If it's not the QB way, you have NO WAY. They are not interested in helping with any needs of YOUR business. If your business doesn't fit into THEIR way, too bad. But, overall, they have a good program that fits most of your business needs. i.e. If you want sales orders and inventory management - you might as well be asking a rock. i.e. If you want to use your own credit card processor, they will force extra steps on you and take away features and functionality.

Alternatives Considered: Zoho Books and Xero

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online: Needed and online version.

Switched From: QuickBooks Desktop Pro

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: Neither Zoho or Xero were able to handle orders, backorders (purchase or sales), and inventory correctly. So, we had to go with QBO and a plugin.

Lynn B.
Attorney in US
Law Practice, Self Employed

Almost flawless functionality

4 2 years ago

Comments: My experience with Quickbooks has been great overall. Have had a few glitches now and again, but (knock wood) it's been working fine for years now. I like the ability to search by client, to print various reports for clients, taxes, etc., and to easily keep track of client retainers. I have not used this software for billing, so I can't really give an opinion. I tried it out, but didn't have the patience to figure it out with respect to legal billing.

Pros:

Quickbooks serves its purpose for me very well as banking software. It keeps track of the checkbook and prints professional-looking checks. I also use it for bookkeeping purposes come tax season by printing out expense reports to see all of my potential tax deductions. It is also pretty good with searching for specific transactions. I do make sure my client name is in the memo field, otherwise I have had trouble searching with other fields (probably "user-error"). It is great for keeping track of client funds, which is essential as an attorney who collects retainers from clients. Reports are also required for client funds/retainers, and they are easy to prepare and print with Quickbooks. Reports are a little complicated because there are so many to choose from, but once you know which ones are actually useful, they are great.

Cons:

Intuit has been very clear that they will no longer support my version of Quickbooks. I had no need to update otherwise, so I am working with a version that I can no longer get any assistance with if anything goes wrong. Also, the back-up data files do not sync with my cloud software for some reason, so there is always an error message in that regard on my cloud software (which I cannot get any help with because I have an outdated version). The search engine is workable, but I have learned to put the client's name in the memo field for every transaction so I know how to get an accurate list of transactions for a client.

2 years ago

Organization is key for any business, so it's great to know you've been able to keep track of your banking, bookkeeping, and tax aspects all in one space, Lynn! We appreciate you being a loyal member of the QuickBooks family and you can count on the software to help lighten your workload for years to come. If you do decide you'd like to update your account, this article is a great place to start (https://quickbooks.intuit.com/learn-support/en-us/update-products/update-to-the-latest-release-of-quickbooks-desktop/01/203221). For additional resources and helpful advice from fellow users and QuickBooks Team members, we recommend checking out the Community (https://community.intuit.com/). Thank you for review! Morgan, The QuickBooks Team

Kaitlen C.
Bookkeeper/Payroll Associate in Canada

Our Cloud Accounting Software of Choice

4 2 years ago

Comments: The freedom that QBO provides you is amazing. I recently moved to BC from Ontario and was able to keep my job because our firm uses QBO. If we had been on desktop for our clients, I would't have been able to keep my job and would have had to find work elsewhere. My boss is about to work remotely from her cottage for the month of August because she CAN! How many people do you know can say that?

Pros:

I find QBO to be super user friendly. I love that they have a training program so you can become basic and advanced certified. We make everyone in the office do the certification program, but nothing beats user experience. QBO is the first cloud-based accounting software I was introduced to, and I find it fabulous. I even recommended it to my parents for their business instead of their custom desktop-based software and they are going to move to it at the end of August.

Cons:

Sometimes the banking feeds have a hard time staying connected which can be very frustrating. It's not Quickbook's fault for this - it's the banks. But it is still frustrating at times when you lose a connection and have to call up your client to re-enter their details. Thank goodness for screen-sharing! Their customer support has lovely people, but they are not always knowledge in the ways they should be. A lot of the times, we already know the issue that we are experiencing and need to speak to someone high-level to be able to resolve the issue. There should be an advanced call center to be able to speak to extememly well-versed people that know QBO in and out.

Anna H.
Anna H.
Lower School Science Teacher in US
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Gets the job done-- but very buggy.

4 3 years ago

Comments: QuickBooks online has its weaknesses and bugs. However, after my research I think it's the best option out there for now.

Pros:

Quickbooks is easy to "plug in" and go... You can use their templates and basic accounts and set up your own accounting system in no time. I had no bookkeeping or accounting experience before using QuickBooks Online, and I was proficient after about 6 months of part-time use. Having an accountant log-in is so helpful in today's world so many people are working from home/ traveling/ etc. It is indispensable for my organization to have an online accounting platform that I, my organization's volunteer treasurer, and our hired accountant can all access from our home computers. As a non-profit organization that only pays a tiny amount of sales tax, that portion of the software is very functional and is one fewer thing I have to deal with. I do not use payroll through this system, so I cannot comment on the functionality of that portion.

Cons:

The bugs in the software (accounts that won't delete, messing up check numbers, etc) are the most annoying part of using QuickBooks Online for me. If you are a small team, you can just work around them and you eventually learn what they are, but it is repeatedly annoying. Their customer service is weak, but there are lots of affordable training courses that can fill in those gaps as you use the program. I sometimes wish that Quickbooks Online were MORE customizable (i.e. allow you to delete certain generic accounts), and I sometimes wish it were LESS customizable (journal entries can be numbered ANYTHING which confuses me). Overall, I think it allows me to do most of what I need to do in bookkeeping for my non-profit.

Treasurer in US
Public Safety, 51-200 Employees

Good usability, poor platform

4 last year

Comments: Good product if you want flexibility in work location and are willing to pay for it. If you ever would consider transferring to desktop, I would recommend not starting with QB Online. There are other similar products that you also can try for less money.

Pros:

The ability to work remotely, or access your data from any computer was very convenient. There was a broad assortment of tools and the ability to customize them to fit different organizations. The software connected with banking institutions fairly easily. It was easy to share data with CPA's for assistance or audit purposes.

Cons:

The cost was a major disappointment. We needed to subscribe to the highest tier in order to use the tools for greatest productivity. The price increased rapidly and made for a very expensive year over year cost. That annual cost drove us to switch to the desktop version. We thought that it would be a seamless transfer since they are similar products from the same company. The data conversion was a nightmare. It was confusing for our IT professional to navigate; it took hours to complete the conversion after multiple attempts; some of the data would not convert; the conversion removed ALL of our reconciliations. Over one year later and I am still finding conversion issues.

President/Owner in US
Environmental Services, 2-10 Employees

Crucial Part of Any Successful Business

4 last year

Comments: I have been able to do much better cost-analysis and budgeting using QB. My company's "health" can be monitored regularly that shows me things such as what expenses I need to cut or reduce or what types of services should I be selling more of that show higher profitability. Overall, I am very happy and will continue to learn and utilize it every day. Thanks Intuit!

Pros:

The best features of this software is that it is WEB-BASED and my bookkeeper can CONTINUALLY UPDATE it so that I have real-time data. Quickbooks (QB) SYNCS VERY ACCURATELY with my current CRM system for sales and scheduling which provides me with the ability to create reports from QB that I can use when analyzing profit/loss and balance sheet info.

Cons:

The software is relatively easy to use, but I would like to see MORE VIRTUAL ASSISTANCE so that I can use more of the many features that QB has that can help my business.

Alternatives Considered: Thryv

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: I did not want an "all-in-one" solution. I am happy with my current Kickserv CRM syncing with Quickbooks

Stacey H.
Principal/Manager in US
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

QuickBooks Online is the way to go!

5 last year

Comments: Great. I personally do not want to and try not to take on any new clients unless they are already using or are at least willing to use Online QuickBooks.

Pros:

Easy to use. Love that it is cloud-based and can login from anywhere. I love that myself and my team can all be working in the same company file at the same time from wherever we are. Also my favorite feature which probably saves hours of time per month is the bank feed feature.

Cons:

QuickBooks online features are always trying to be smart which if you are not careful can be matched and entered incorrectly resulting in reporting that is not exactly correct. However as long as you are careful and understand what the software is doing then you can save tons of time.

Mercedes P.
Development Director/Treasurer in
Philanthropy, 11-50 Employees

QuickBooks - the Accounting Software When You Really Want to

5 4 years ago

Pros:

I have been using QuickBooks since 1992 as the CFO for a company with 50 employees. Currently, I am the treasurer for a non-profit and I am again using QuickBooks. I trained our bookkeepers, our financial managers, and worked without accountants to make sure that the software served our needs.QuickBooks is an easy program to use because it is logical, almost intuitive, and it can be adapted to the specific needs of the business. We are audited every year, and QuickBooks provide us with all the information we need and the ability for our Auditor to review it, correct, and verify it through the audit.

Cons:

The format of the reports. While it is very easy to create multiple reports and customize them, the standard reports are sometimes cumbersome. Also, now that I am using QuickBooks for a nonprofit, I would really like to make it a requirement for the user to select a Type of Customer when setting up a customer. Our nonprofit organization has clients, donors, foundations, and corporate donors; all these types have previously been set up. However, when the person entering the data is keying in the individual entries, there is no requirement that they select the type of customer. This means that I have to review all transactions before creating the Accountant's Copy for the Auditor, at the end of the year, in order to generate the reports we need.

Kimberly M.
Computer Games, 2-10 Employees

Very Convenient for Small Businesses

4 3 years ago

Comments: I really like the ability to use the system where ever I am. I tend to go to gaming conventions and sometimes need to access the account to make payments or submit invoices to collect payments for our Business 2 Business services. Since it is all online I can do this with ease by just logging in and I have access to my financials. QuickBooks Online Helps me run my business without all the hassles of using multiple services or systems.

Pros:

• Easy to set up with templates that help you get started fast. • Automatically connects to your business checking for integrated payment solutions. • No messy software installations to deal with as the platform is online so you simply log in to an updated interface any time there is new features added. • You can integrate your Payroll from a 3rd party directly into your account. • Since it is always online you can access it from anywhere with a connection, you can even have multiple users with access on at the same time.

Cons:

• The support is somewhat limited, and I have experienced delays in the help I needed from time to time but overall it is very workable and seems to be getting better. • The software interface is somewhat different for the online version than the desktop version so if you go from one to the other it will require an adjustment, but it is not terrible.

Alternatives Considered: FreshBooks

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: I was familiar with the desktop version of QuickBooks and decided to give it a shot.

Ashley F.
COO in US
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees

QBO- Great for sharing jobs across multiple locations

4 2 years ago

Comments: Overall, I am satisfied with QBO because it serves my purposes. I need something that my whole team can access from anywhere at anytime. I would like to see a lot of changes, but most are minimal. The overall service being provided- creating invoices, accepting payments, tracking overdues- is there and that's what I need

Pros:

his software makes it relatively easy to share tasks among various users without location restraints or the costs of building a large connected network. I like having the flexibility to edit anything at anytime as well as the ability to see when my customers are opening and receiving my missives so I can take action based on that information.

Cons:

I do not like the way QBO handles changes to personnel and company information. If I need to resend documents, the system will not update based on any new information I have entered into the Customer section. When I added a balance sheet to my invoices, it was difficult to understand and all my clients ended up sending incorrect or overpayments based on limited information presented in a difficult-to-understand format.

Alternatives Considered: Xero

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online: I needed something my team could access remotely without installing additional software.

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: My team was more familiar with the Quickbooks setup and felt more comfortable with what they knew instead of starting from scratch.

Jessica K.
Jessica K.
Accountant in US
Accounting, 2-10 Employees

Keeps clients connected with their Accountant

4 2 years ago

Comments: Overall I like QuickBooks online and recommend it to my clients. It is setup to be user friendly and can potentially save users a lot of time. I like how the bank transactions download in and you can match or add them individually or automatically. A lot of businesses have a lot of frequent and similar transactions so I make rules to automatically add them to the books. This also carries over to the reconciliation so I can quickly reconcile the books to the bank statements.

Pros:

I like how I can log in and help keep my clients’ books on track. When they have questions, I can log in and see exactly what they are talking about and either help them fix it or fix it on my end. I also like how the bank can be connected so all the transactions import into QuickBooks.

Cons:

I don’t like how some of the functionality is taken away and given only to QuickBooks support. The payroll center and sales tax center both need some work. Some fields in payroll checks we cannot edit, even if QuickBooks is calculating it wrong. Last couple times I called support, I was on the phone for hours and I am a pro advisor.

IT Network Administrator in US
Utilities, 11-50 Employees

Expensive but probably worth it

4 2 years ago

Comments: We complete our day to day bookkeeping and assets
We also use the built in payroll feature

Pros:

Always available from all device backups are a thing of the past support seems to be US based and is rather good

Cons:

Like other vendors the move to cloud operations seems to be strictly for profits The price seems to creep up every year to 6 months leaving me worried for cost in the future

Alternatives Considered: FreshBooks

Reasons for Choosing Quickbooks Online: Wave was not great at the time

Switched From: Wave Accounting

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: Ease of use

ceo in UK
Internet, Self Employed

Tip-Top Support which is good cos you'll likely need it

4 9 months ago

Comments: I would like to see an asset register and as a result I'm tending to absorb all but large purhcases into P&L, which is a pragmatic decision and not my desire). Multi-currency is supported but it's quite hard to get to grips with, especially if you have actuals for the exahnge figures by transaction, meaning you have to value each transaction. Again I've modified my business sytems to work around that. Which is starting to feel like the tail wagging the dog, but it's a cheap solution and I'm trying to minimise the time I spend on it. With the browser tabs it does tend to log you out a lot while you're actually working, and the pages are often slow to load (I am running a high spec PC on a fast ISP). I don't carry stock but I think that would be problematic if I did. I dislike that I can't create a company for both sales and purchases but have to create one for each . This means if I have a supplier that is also a customer (and I do) I can't net off their invoices against mine at all easily. Bank connections are a good feature but they are often days behind in posting the transactions in my experience. That makes it complicated to reconcile promptly. The VAT (UK sales tax) element works well and produces all the numbers required for the VAT Return (submission). I've had to use control accounts quite a bit too for simplfying some tasks.

Pros:

It's quite streamlined once you get the hang of it and you can gets tasks done quickly. It's quite powerful if you want to delve in a bit deeper.

Cons:

That so many issues need resolution with their support, thanksfully their support really is top notch, but I'd prefer if I could find an answer in the help files without having to phone up (which also means I can resolve problems at weekends as they're only there weekdays)

Deborah W.
Managing Partner in US
Legal Services, 2-10 Employees

Great product in a remote environment

5 last year

Comments: It's made operating my business in a remote environment possible.

Pros:

The best feature of this product is that it makes working remotely with your bookkeeper and accountant easier. I never see them in person, but my books are always up to date because it is so easy to automate things, and the things that can't be automated are handled by the CPA and bookkeeper via the web.

Cons:

If you are not a bookkeeper or CPA by trade (I'm an attorney), there are aspects of this program that are too complicated to figure out without a lot of help. And it's not easy to get help from Quickbooks customer service.

Alternatives Considered: Clio

Reasons for Switching to Quickbooks Online: Because it is easier to work remotely with my bookkeeper and CPA, who are QB pros.

Kenan J.
MIS Specialist in
Management Consulting, 2-10 Employees

QuickBooks Online for small businesses

4 4 years ago

Pros:

This product from Intuit, easy to use, full functioning as an accounting software for small businesses. you can easy get started within up to 4 minutes, dig in all administration roles, getting familiar with it, and create your own company. follow up your banks accounts through the available integration between this software and your bank. additional to that you can check in any moment the Chang-Log to every one who just post, add, edit any transaction on the system. a great feature through it, the massive available integration with other softwares especially the POS systems like Vend, Revel. it does really save time and money. I do really enjoyed using this software as a small business.

Cons:

as I clarified above this system great for small businesses, for whom bigger than these ones. unfortunately you have to find another solution. the essential point for refusing such one, the Manufacturing service in the accounting systems; it's really important for us the system who we're working on provide the ability to mix multi row materials into one final product. another point, for the users authorities, we can't use it when we have more than one shop and we want to assign a user to a specific store, in doing so we have to establish separate company account for each one to be able to assign the users to their outlets.