Rain Point of Sale Reviews

by Rain Retail Software

• Overall
    4.1/5

About Rain Point of Sale

Enter information once and your POS, website, and mobile site update in real time. Unlimited registers, products, and customer service.

Learn more about Rain Point of Sale

Nic G.
Musician
  • Reviewed on 09/10/2018

"Brought new life to my store!"

Comments: Since we opened, we have hand written all our checks and inventory, which has sometimes lead to discrepancies in what we have in stock and prices on items. It also takes longer to cash people out at the register, which has left some customers at an inconvenience when running late to a gig. Since moving to Rain, we are now able to easily see what is in stock and let customers know if we have extra in the back all from our phones. Recently we had a customer whos speaker blew while at a gig and he was able to order a new one online for us to have ready for him when he walked in the door! We love using Rain!

Pros: Rain POS was surprisingly easy to set up and integrate into my exsiting website, it really opened up a lot of doors to help sell things in my store that have been sitting a while. We do a lot of lawaway orders, so it was nice to be able to set up a lawaway option on our online store.

Cons: The only thing I wish I was able to do is have the option to add multiple products at a time to help streamline the inventory process. Other than that, I have had zero issues!

• Reviewed on 09/10/2018
Roger N.
  • Reviewed on 07/02/2020

"Switched to Rain from Lightspeed"

Comments: Overall pleased with RAIN and glad we made the switch. A bit more thought into easier workflow within the Register, Special Order and LayAway screens and it will be a force to reckon with. I was hoping for an easier eCom experience, but that is not what I received. Much like other POS Systems that offer an integrated eCom Site...building out the site and making it look the way we want doesn't follow the basic HTML buildout process. As a web developer for over 20 years...I find the eCom platform to be VERY challenging to use and often times VERY discouraging. I can see they worked hard to have the functionality be similar to other CMS Website Platforms (Wix, WordPress, etc), but it's too confusing to navigate effectively taking up valuable time.

Pros: Integrated Marketing
Automatic "pushing" of items to our Reverb.com Account
Lightweight on system resources on our iMac's

Cons: Special Order Workflow is clunky and needs to be simplified. We've resorted to using the "Quote" option to better manage Special Orders and ring in total sales under a "Gift Card" first. That way when working with multiple vendors on a special order, we have easier use of customer funds when "finalizing" the deal.
Register is Average and would prefer ability to see cost of products on screen.
In Register - when scanning duplicate items they get entered as "new" line item versus adding to the SKU already input.
Can't us an IR Gun on an iPad when scanning incoming inventory or during inventory counts.
Layaway Screen has some great features, but workflow is a bit convoluted.
Website build out is horribly confusing and NOTHING follows traditional HTML processes. This was the same problem with Lightspeed's eCom platform - hard to work with and no sense of workflow.

Sissy H.
  • Reviewed on 18/07/2019

"Disappointing compared to the hype of what you are getting."

Comments: We have a hard time getting on the same page. The communication is mostly by email and the timing is hard because we are so far apart. The support people are very kind and try to get things done but the day to day trying to muddle through this change was not worth it, if I could get my money back I would. I am currently paying Lightspeed just not to loose my past sales and lay-a-ways until someone can merge them, this is costly for a small business. I also wish they would talk to whoever answers the phone as I can't just sit on top of the phone all day waiting for a call, this could have been fixed if they would have just talked to the person answering the phone. There are only three people who work here and all three of us are capable of following direction.

Pros: So far the only Pro is that you can pull a some information from Vendors. Being able to have inventory taken out with sales from Reverb is really nice, it was the catch hook that brought me to RAIN.

Cons: The merge is really rough, I did not get all of my customers merged from my previous POS system, my lay-a-ways were lost or messed up, past sales are lost, pictures had to be taken again. All the upc numbers were mismatched with other products. When you try to put pictures of your product for the website, you never know what picture it may choose no matter how many times you choose the correct one. I have had a bass I have tried many times to add a picture and it refused to add it and puts up a picture of a gig bag. I was told if I used Chrome many of the issues would subside, sadly this is not true. If you are starting out fresh, this may be an okay system to use, if you are migrating from another system, I would NOT recommend using RAIN. I really had high hopes but this has been a disaster. Even the work orders, which I thought would be easier, are a huge pain.

• Reviewed on 18/07/2019
Sam G.
Tech Manager and Chief Quilter
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

"Like Sew POS Review"

Comments: Overall we are happy with Rain/Like Sew. It gives us an easy to manage Web front end for our store that behind the scenes in completely integrated with our Brick & Mortar operation. Improvements are still needed in many areas - the system is a work in progress regularly rolling our new and improved functionality.

Pros: We bought it for the seamless integration of Web and Brick & Mortar inventory management, sales and ease of use. It works very well for this purpose.

Cons: It is ultimately POS and Inventory Management software with little Accounting functionality. Daily exports to QuickBooks or other software are required, with additional entries in the accounting s/w to accommodate accounting best practices, Taxes on Receiving orders, billing and other financial tasks not accommodated in Like Sew. There are still some issues with Sales, Shipping and Taxes in Canada, and there is no ability to set up multiple price levels internally

Lance R.

"Rain POS"

Pros: This is a great program that integrates a point of sale program with a website store that keep inventory stock levels on the website. The basics functions are easy to use and learn.

Cons: Rain POS needs to make some of the reporting more functional so that you can see product sales easier and for a monthly and yearly sense.

Ande L.
Retail, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2020

"Our thoughts"

Comments: All sales were handwritten, on invoices and then transcribed to a database/ excel sheet for closing out a month; this has made this so streamlined.

Pros: The program is quite intuitive thus making it relatively easy to use. I like the fact that it is cloud based so we can add another register as needed during very busy times. Also the integration between the website and the POS is great for product inventory. General ease of taking physical inventory.

Cons: There are a number of small glitches - ways to accomplish tasks that are not thought all the way through. I get a listing of UPCs from a vendor with my new order of earrings, many are duplicates that we have had. We upload the entire list, the system is not able to recognize duplicates and combine them just keeps adding the new number making physical inventory a nightmare. Customer name search is an "includes" function instead of a "starts with" so an Andy pulls up Sandy, Candy & every Anderson, i no particular order.

• Reviewed on 22/01/2020
Tawni Y.

"Good"

Comments: For the most part, it's pretty good. Hope they continue to develop better reporting capabilities. Some quirks along the way - some get fixed, some they can't explain.

Pros: I like that it integrates inventory between our point of sale and our website. We also like being able to access customers' purchase history.

Cons: Bare bones reporting, i.e. for sales data. Many reports offer zero or very few "drill down" options for specifics.

Susan H.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 08/02/2020

"review"

Comments: I no longer complete paper tickets for customer purchases and then need to summarize for taxes.
At the end of a vending sale day, I know how we did with the push of a button.

Pros: end of day Reports and access to information about my inventory

Cons: lack of reports that can help with inventory report submissions to the state

• Reviewed on 08/02/2020
Dagmar M.
  • Reviewed on 30/01/2020

"Rain POS / Like Sew Website Review"

Comments: I really benefit from the synced inventory. Overall, my experience with the POS and customer service has been positive.

Pros: It manages the inventory in real time between store and online purchases. Now that I have learned how to manage the website, it is easy to frequently change the home page, add new inventory and create promotions. The inventory catalog is a major time saver.

Cons: There are some surprising disconnects: although a customer is set up with 10% discount, the discount will only apply automatically when purchasing in the store. Somehow the store customer and the (same) web customer are not connected. Lack of integration with shipping companies. Cumbersome uploads to QuickBooks.

Patricia M.
Arts & Crafts, 2-10 Employees

"Like Sew Software"

Comments: In the beginning support was good and they really seem to care about helping your business grow. Now they want to add stuff that I don't need and keep raising the price

Pros: I originally like the fact that the POS interacted with the suppliers . Made it easy to load inventory into the system. Now they are raising the cost so much it really does not pay for itself.

Cons: The cost is high for a same business to use.

Reeze H.
CEO/Designer
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 29/05/2018

"Like-Sew websites have helped me build my online presence and streamline my business."

Comments: It was easy to use

Pros: It is easy to use and update, so I can create and modify my own products, and add products from the integrated industry catalogs. It provides me with useful information about my customers and sales transactions, data which really helps me keep and attract new customers. I especially like the batch product update feature so I can change a group of products at a time without having to individually update each product record. I have had good customer service, especially when there was a problem with the software. I have seen my sales grow and my professional online image enhanced. The cost is reasonable for my business so far. The video training is great and absolutely necessary to understand how to use the software efficiently. I also attended training at Fall Quilt Market which was excellent and highly informative.

Cons: I am disappointed that I am unable to integrate my email marketing with the website. In my opinion, The Marketing package is not as useful to online-only stores as it is to POS customers. The newsletter module is clunky and hard to work with. The email feature is useful, but since my email list is on a different service and not integrated, it is not as useful as it could be. It took awhile for my site to get up and running well, and to work out all the bugs. I had to be persistent in following up to get problems fixed and clear in my communication to be sure they understood what I was asking for.

• Reviewed on 29/05/2018
James D.
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2018

"Really awesome features with some minor bugs"

Comments: Tech support has helped us so many times. First, they helped us figure out some of the features that we were not completely certain how to use. Then, when we encountered bugs, another quick call to Support and they had us back up and running within no time. I just wish that the program was not dependent on the internet. We’ve had a few times where the internet went out and we were not able to conduct business. This is not good, but it hasn’t happened too often, just enough to be mildly irritating.

Pros: This program is so easy to use, even for those who are not technologically literate. While we do not use all of the features, such as the rental option, we are really happy with the program. The fact that everything is stored in the cloud helps us when we are not in the store, such as with trunk shows. The tech support has been so helpful when we experienced bugs in the software, and they were very knowledgeable of the product. I have also found the SEO option of Rain, and we intend to utilize it to its fullest extent to promote our business and get our name out there.

Cons: There have been a few bugs in the software, but nothing that a quick call to support couldn’t fix. One thing that I did not like was when the internet went out. The fact that everything was based on the internet meant that we couldn’t use the cash register. This led to a loss of sales. Nothing too major, but it’s still significant. There should be a backup or a way to use the register when there is no internet connection. More traditional POS systems allow for use without internet, but for inventory reasons, something like Rain is required. Hopefully, they’ll release a version that stores a temporary backup on your system that updates the inventory once the internet is back up and running.

• Reviewed on 29/07/2018
Jeremy C.
Owner, COO
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2017

"The POS system that I was looking for."

Comments: I'm the owner of the NAMM 2015 & 2016 Top 100 Dealer, The Acoustic Shoppe in Springfield, MO. We tried the "big guy" of our industry, and found it to be outdated and not user friendly. After a year of attempting to get it up and running, we started looking for an alternative when we ran across RAIN POS. It feels like navigating a website through your browser so it was easy to learn. Within a little over one month we had our website built, products in our system, and were live with running transactions. I love that everything in in the cloud, so I can run sales in my parking lot, at festivals, trade shows, etc., or just access reports anywhere from my phone. Putting items on our website is just a button clicked, and inventory is shared online and locally so if I sell online, it's taken out of stock in my local system, and vise versa. So far customer support has been great to work with. We have run across a few minor bugs in the day to day use, but they are pretty quick at getting it straightened out. I'm sure it doesn't have all the depth of that other system, but I'm able to use it and they are adding features very quickly. We don't do rentals right now, so I can't say how well that part works. We do a lot of repairs, some sent off site, and the work order module works great for keeping up to date with the repair status. We're waiting on the Lessons module that we here is in the works, and a better way to handle consignments and trades. So far we are very happy with RAIN POS and our interactions with customer support. I highly recommend.

Pros: Ease of use, and integration with our e-commerce site.

Cons: There are a few features that I'm waiting on that will tailor the system more for the music industry.

Andrea E.
Sales Associate
  • Reviewed on 27/06/2018

"Tons of features packed into one POS system, great customer support."

Pros: Rain has tons of features, and for a music store that sells, rents, and repairs instruments, and also does lessons, there are a lot of things we need software for. With Rain, we can do most of it in one place, whereas in the past, we've had to have a system for this, something different for this, and something different for that also. It's a huge time saver and much less confusing to be able to do everything we need to do in one place. And the website is clean and easy to customize. Customer service is super easy to get in touch with and great to work with.

Cons: There are still a few bugs in this software. While the customer support guys are good about listening and working on fixes, there are still some small annoying things. For instance, when you delete a product from the Categories page, it does not direct you back to the Categories page, but rather the Products page. There's also not an easy way to move products into different categories in bulk. You either have to open each product manually, or you have to export the info to a spreadsheet.

• Reviewed on 27/06/2018
Miles S.
manager
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2018

"The future of how small businesses survive"

Comments: Using this system allows you to provide a customer experience on par with, or even better than, what is expected from a successful business in the 21st.

Pros: Feature laden! and they are still developing more music store specific features! One customer data base, one inventory database. Integrated POS system, integrated Wed Store, integrated repairs system. Then add on: integrated short term rentals, rent to own with auto pay, layaway, email marketing abilities, gift card ability, coupon ability, push products to Reverb ability, create and save quotes under a customer name, track store account balances and apply to transactions, purchasing lists by vendor populated with qty triggered items and with and easy receiving and item costs updating.
Outstandingly responsive customer service!

Cons: Still waiting on the private lesson feature =( But it is in development and it sounds like it will be finished Spring of 2018. Would be great to see invoicing against a quote so I could do school business with schools requiring a PO number on an invoice for payment.

• Reviewed on 09/02/2018
Todd K.
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2017

"User friendly POS/Website for a small business."

Comments: Rain POS has allowed me to present the entire inventory of my retail shop available online. When photos for my items are not available from vendors, I snap a few with my iphone and they are uploaded in seconds.
I am not a computer tech by any means, but have found making changes to my site an easy task. When in doubt I find one of the helpful webinars and by he end of the viewing I am comfortable tackling the next task.
Customer service has been prompt and thorough. I have not had to call often, but when I do the matter is resolved within minutes. This is a plus as I typically operate my shop alone.
Recently I realized that I was not utilizing the SEO portion of Rain to it's fullest potential. My google placement was lagging back on pages 4 to 7. I spent 3 hours watching a webinar provided by Rain and spent a few weeks plucking away at my site. I am happy to say that 60 days later I am appearing on the first page of searches I deem important. One again I was able to accomplish this utilizing tools provided by Rain, not by paying an outside SEO company for this service.
Overall I am extremely happy with Rain and have recommended it to several other business in my area.

Pros: Ease of use even for a person not formally trained in computer technology.

Cons: Just a few small glitches here and there, but they continue to make improvements and they are quickly resolved.

Allen B.
Webmaster/Manager
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2017

"A small business solution that is a head of the curve"

Comments: We searched for over 3 years for an new point of sale that would fit our needs and allow us to expand in the future. It was important to have a seamless integration of our brick and mortar location and our online store. Rain really shines above all the other options with more functionality at an affordable price. This has allowed us to grow our online presence tremendously to help keep up with the ever growing online sales market. The continued software updates and helpful customer support makes for a personal and dedicated feel to helping our business thrive. We have recommend it to several other businesses and they have been thrilled as well. Thanks Rain!

Pros: Online and Brick and Mortar integration, extensive customer tracking, easy to customize website, efficient product ordering/receiving system

Cons: Updates can be slow to release, lacks a little in the reporting functionality

Michael B.
  • Reviewed on 23/09/2020

"Does what I need and more."

Comments: Our experience has been excellent. We were up and running the day we opened the doors. This is our first and only experience with POS but I cannot imagine needing anything more. The cloud based system lets me access information from anywhere I have WiFi access. No fear of losing our system due to damage or theft of equipment. Overall I find it very affordable and could not imagine being without Rain POS now.

Pros: The support we received from the rain team in getting started with a POS system. None of my team had any experience with POS and they made the transition easy. We still don’t use all the features available but are adding them to our system gradually. The customer support system is fantastic. The reports available on the system save hundreds of man hours and help us see how our business is doing. The inventory system is a huge help.

Cons: Integration with some Consumer Finance companies would be valuable to retail users. A “Dummy” website that could be used for training new employees would be a big help.

by Rain Retail Software on 25/09/2020

Michael,
Thank you for your feedback, this is very helpful for us. We appreciate you taking the time to let us know where we can improve so that we can continue to look into additional options.

• Reviewed on 23/09/2020
Miles S.
manager
  • Reviewed on 15/02/2017

"Powerful, complete lifestyle upgrade for our business"

Comments: Going from shopkeep (easy to use, not sophisticated enough for us as a music store) to RAIN was a challenge at first (uploading photos and product data, designing new site content, more product data entry, training staff in new roles) but, now that we are a few months in, we are seeing customers benefit from our work and we know we are going in the right direction.
RAIN is on the way to becoming the One Ring That Rules Them All of software that helps small retailers play on the same field as national chains.
Actual seamless pulling in of repair data to the transaction screen, one product data base for your stores and your website store, actual seamless pulling in of layaway payments and special orders to the transaction screen, easily see who is selling what and where. Actual real effective help with re-order purchasing has helped us control spending in a very noticeable way. Time is saved because we only have to go through product order line items one time , then when it arrives, ONE click updates the cost for that instance and the count received.

Transfer tracking that takes almost no time to use.

Pros: integration

Cons: still developing some features

Mark B.
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2017

"Great user friendly POS"

Comments: We had a nightmare with our old POS system and had to pretty much start all over with Rain. We are a local business but with tons of inventory. Over 5000 different piece of merchandise. So we were not looking forward to adding all those items again. But Rains interface makes it very easy, anyone can do it. The interface is laid out very simply and everything is right there without having to scroll through pages and pages to find an option you want. Features like repairs and rentals are also a big plus. Really the only negative thing I can say is the since it's cloud based you better have good internet or you will lose your register if you lose internet. But that's not Rains fault. Just make sure you have a reliable internet connection or a backup 4G method since you can run the POS from any phone or tablet. We have had the software for a little less than a year and although we are still adding products from our previous software crash with another company, we are enjoying the new fresh look and feature packed software provided by Rain.

Pros: Tons of features and easy to use.

Cons: To print a receipt there are too many steps. Wish it was easier or less time consuming.

• Reviewed on 21/02/2017
Daniel P.
Sporting Goods, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/02/2017

"Pinewski's Ski & Board Shop"

Comments: We have been with rain for several years now and have been very happy with the ease of use of our POS system. The professional handling of all our questions and needs, and their customer service, has been second to none. We are continually learning as Rain continues to improve the functionality of their program. We would rate Rain as a top notch program.

Pros: simple to use, but yet has the ability to fulfill all our POS needs.

Cons: the inability to make corrections to mistakes without contacting Rain i.e. reversing voids, having voided sales show up on my daily sales reports, and the customer history shot;ld show open sales and or on account sales as a different color or as an open sale rather than completed sale.

• Reviewed on 16/02/2017
Travis T.

"Rain Review"

Comments: The autopay rental feature has helped expedite our rental processing immensely! Integration with our online store and Reverb has been great.

Pros: Autopay function, Online (email) payment option, Online store & Reverb integration

Cons: We have had several glitches, but most of them have been worked out relatively quickly. The features that would be incredibly helpful in our shop and industry are:
-Maintenance Agreement tracking module
-Batch Invoicing module (to be able to input large inventories of instruments in one batch and print
-Instagram feed module for website

Karen S.
Retail, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 06/02/2020

"Top notch POS"

Comments: Great experience... still fixing a few glitches and learning is on going. We are not big IT people, but the ease of this software and the team behind us works great!

Pros: Alot. The automated email blasts, the conference on hand, one on one meeting. I like the ease of running this software and the service and people behind the scenes. I like the look and help we receive on our website. When we have a glitch or problem, customer support is inside our website making the corrections. Great team to work with! Especially, Ty... stays on top of any ossues that come up.

Cons: Our training was not easy and our contact person was not really knowledgeable on many facets of the software or how it would work. Big learning curve for us.

• Reviewed on 06/02/2020
Kathi M.
  • Reviewed on 17/06/2018

"Great POS platform - even for beginners! Not intimidating."

Comments: Inventory reporting, mainly. I just began using the Marketing module and so far, it seems like it will be a real winner and time saver for me!

Pros: I like the data capture feature and the real time aspect of the online merging with the B&M shop. Knowing that what my customer is seeing online is what is actually available is fabulous.

Cons: The sad lack of report query options, particularly in regards to my inventory. I can put notes in if I make an adjustment but can't ever see those notes again. That's a feature I've been asking for for years.

• Reviewed on 17/06/2018
Peter V.
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2018

"Seamless Migration from Older POS System"

Pros: We went with RAIN for a number of reasons. Integration with our website, and in turn, Reverb.com was very important to us. We also liked RAIN's ability to migrate from our antiquated POS so that we had a relatively easy transition. Lastly, being a cloud based system allows our entire staff to work on the system from anywhere.

Cons: At first (about 12 months ago) RAIN was a bit clunky. Navigating was slow, they didn't allow enough pictures for our website, and the search function was not always effective. Also the Reverb integration had growing pains. The thing about RAIN is that they are constantly improving and correcting issues based on their customer's (ours) feedback. At this point the Reverb integration and search functions work perfectly and they now allow unlimited pics on each listing.

• Reviewed on 21/05/2018