15 years helping Australian businesses

About Rain POS

This all-in-one retail POS brings point-of-sale, eCommerce, and marketing tools together into one system.

Learn more about Rain POS

Pros:

Rain Pos is dependable, well priced with instantaneous software help. The company LISTENS to their clients, I can't emphasize this enough.

Cons:

The newsletter module is clunky and hard to work with.

Rain POS ratings

4.2
4.2
3.9
4.1

7.8/10

Rain POS has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 132 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Rain POS before?

Stanley
Stanley
System Administration in Kenya
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Best Cloud Based POS System

Comments: Items category for rental product is a nice addition for POS that is all inclusive with an intuitive dashboard, mobile app and easy integration.

Pros:

Easy way to add products to both POS and eCommerce simultaneously is one of the best way to both.

Cons:

The cost of Rain POS is a bit steep for many local businesses and lack huge community base for support.

Tee

Great System for Small Business

Comments: By going to a cloud based system I am able to keep inventory updated when I am at a trade show or selling product online. The integration with Notions Marketing is a time savor. I no longer have to manually add price, description or photos. Everyone comes over when I place my order with Notions. The ability to download data to excel, make changes then upload it back to Rain is simple and makes mass updates seamless.

Pros:

As a small business it is difficult to manage technology without an IT Department. I wanted to take my business online and struggled to find a solution that was affordable, easy to use and had good customer support. RAIN not only met my goals but exceeded them. Their customer support is what sets them ahead of their competition.

Cons:

There are a couple of features I wish they would improve on. The most important to me are Customer Rewards. It doesn't allow online orders to use their rewards and the accrued reward is a dollar amount they can spend when I need it to be a % off.

Rochelle
Administration in Canada

Disappointing POS

1.0 last month New

Comments: The beginning experience was great, but now we are running into problems and there is really minimal help. This system has a very high monthly fee, and I really don’t feel like it’s worth it.

Pros:

We really like that it is a cloud based POS.

Cons:

You don’t really need to call support in the beginning because you are new and learning the system but once you get setup and start noticing glitches you cannot get a hold of anyone. They also do not have support evenings and weekends.

Sam
Tech Manager and Chief Quilter in Canada

Like Sew POS Review

Comments: Overall we are happy with Rain/Like Sew. It gives us an easy to manage Web front end for our store that behind the scenes in completely integrated with our Brick & Mortar operation. Improvements are still needed in many areas - the system is a work in progress regularly rolling our new and improved functionality.

Pros:

We bought it for the seamless integration of Web and Brick & Mortar inventory management, sales and ease of use. It works very well for this purpose.

Cons:

It is ultimately POS and Inventory Management software with little Accounting functionality. Daily exports to QuickBooks or other software are required, with additional entries in the accounting s/w to accommodate accounting best practices, Taxes on Receiving orders, billing and other financial tasks not accommodated in Like Sew. There are still some issues with Sales, Shipping and Taxes in Canada, and there is no ability to set up multiple price levels internally

Claudia
Owner in Canada

Love Rain POS

Comments: They have been fantastic. From set up until current use, they have always been available to help, and have great resources built into their software to help out with simpler things.

Pros:

Rain POS has allowed us to integrate our eCommerce and in store retail in a way that no other company has been able to do. It has been so easy to learn how to use it, and it is very in depth. It is easy for me to change things on the website, and if there is something I can't do, their customer service team is always quick to help.

Cons:

Some features need to be changed buy the software team, I can't change them myself.

Travis
Music, 2–10 Employees

Excellent for Music Stores!

Comments: Overall we have been extremely pleased with our choice to switch to Rain in 2018 for our point of sale and website. The product is incredibly user friendly, can be used on any device (not tied to a license on one desktop machine like other systems) and support is great. One area other shops have asked us about is QuickBooks exports. We don't use that much, but other stores seem to be very reliant on those exports, which they say are lacking in Rain. Again, not a direct complaint from me, but one that I hear about on industry forums & from direct messages. We were a somewhat early adapter of Rain in our industry and are relatively connected in our industry & repair organization, so we seem to field a lot of inquiries about the program. We have recommended the product to quite a few other shops and want to make sure that it fits their accounting needs as well.

Pros:

We've had a great experience thus far using the Rain point of sale program. The initial training was extremely in depth and helped us grasp all of the features before implementation. We love the product integration with Reverb.com and the fact that our inventory remains cohesive across online and in-store platforms. Online & phone support is quick & helpful. Rain has also been very helpful designing and updating our website, which is tied into the point of sale. They are constantly improving, updating and listening to customer suggestions to make their product even better.

Cons:

One feature that is extremely helpful in our industry (music store) but missing from Rain, is a Maintenance Agreement/Service Contract module. We were disappointed it was not available when we switched to Rain, since we used that feature daily with AIMsi. We have found some halfway workarounds in Rain, but would like a more robust integrated module. Ideal features would be: MA identifier on serialized instruments in Work Orders module, ability to auto-send renewal emails to customers when their annual MA is expiring, MA batch operations for large inventories of instruments (many of the schools we service have 200-400 instruments that we maintain on MA's annually).

Roger
President in US

Switched to Rain from Lightspeed

Comments: Overall pleased with RAIN and glad we made the switch. A bit more thought into easier workflow within the Register, Special Order and LayAway screens and it will be a force to reckon with. I was hoping for an easier eCom experience, but that is not what I received. Much like other POS Systems that offer an integrated eCom Site...building out the site and making it look the way we want doesn't follow the basic HTML buildout process. As a web developer for over 20 years...I find the eCom platform to be VERY challenging to use and often times VERY discouraging. I can see they worked hard to have the functionality be similar to other CMS Website Platforms (Wix, WordPress, etc), but it's too confusing to navigate effectively taking up valuable time.

Pros:

Integrated Marketing Automatic "pushing" of items to our Reverb.com Account Lightweight on system resources on our iMac's

Cons:

Special Order Workflow is clunky and needs to be simplified. We've resorted to using the "Quote" option to better manage Special Orders and ring in total sales under a "Gift Card" first. That way when working with multiple vendors on a special order, we have easier use of customer funds when "finalizing" the deal. Register is Average and would prefer ability to see cost of products on screen. In Register - when scanning duplicate items they get entered as "new" line item versus adding to the SKU already input. Can't us an IR Gun on an iPad when scanning incoming inventory or during inventory counts. Layaway Screen has some great features, but workflow is a bit convoluted. Website build out is horribly confusing and NOTHING follows traditional HTML processes. This was the same problem with Lightspeed's eCom platform - hard to work with and no sense of workflow.

Molly
Textiles, Self Employed

Rain/LikeSew vs GoDaddy

Comments: I am glad I took the plunge, put in the work, with the help of friends, and moved the shop over to Rain/LikeSew this past summer. It was worth the hard work and effort. I can now offer my customers specials and appreciation programs, keep up with inventory and manage files more efficiently.

Pros:

LikeSew is more precise at managing my inventory and handling the day-to-day business of running my fabric store than GoDaddy ever was. I now know exactly how much inventory I have on hand and it's value and what categories it falls into.

Cons:

There could be some improvements in the email marketing program and the inventory receipt areas.

Jacob
Owner in Canada
Retail, 11–50 Employees

Very successful at retail and education management

Comments: Good. It took longer to get set up than we had hoped, as the integration team was swamped. There customer support is ok, but lengthy.

Pros:

I like the integration with My Music Staff. I also like the ease in which we can automate customer payments for services and rentals.

Cons:

I do not like that we cannot easily adjust pricing, and have difficulty on supplier invoice tracking with taxes.

Rain Retail Software Response

3 months ago

Hi Jacob, Thank you for your response! As I am reading the response, I would love to learn more on where we can help make changes. If you could email me I would love to learn. Thank you!

Nick
Automotive, 11–50 Employees

Great POS, Horrible customer service support.

Pros:

Easy to use and has great functionality. Could have a little bit more functionality than it has to make it great. However they need more people to fix bugs and enact on others suggestions to develop the product further. Customer Support is a joke!

Cons:

Customer Support is a joke! I contacted support about a glitch. I told them to call me because I broke my wrist and easier to explain than typing it out. They refused to call me as if their time was more valuable in R&D than fixing bugs. I cant type with a broken wrist. All this is one fingered.

chris
Business Supplies & Equipment, 2–10 Employees

rain over promised under way under deliver

Comments: at first, they are great but once they figure u are too far to turn back they seem to vanish trying to get answers call one day it might be two days later you get a call back no one seems to care how things are going i my self have a issue with my favorites list the acknowledge there is a problem yet to get it fixed 6 weeks latter

Pros:

local and they sell it like its great when min reality it needs so much work

Cons:

their customer service sucks and that is putting it nicely

Rain Retail Software Response

3 months ago

Hi Chris, I am so sorry for your experience. I appreciate your feedback and would love to talk more in detail about what you are experiencing. I am here to listen and to hopefully make changes to what you are experiencing. My email is [email protected]. Once again I hear you and we are so sorry.

Music, 2–10 Employees

Software with lots of dreams but lots of issues

Comments: Rental, class, and automatically populating the website is a big help for us saving time. It hasn't really made us more money as advertised.

Pros:

Overall, this product has helped us get our products on the web and other selling sites quicker than in the past. The rental and class features have saved us a bunch of time

Cons:

Too many bugs in almost every feature. In addition, bugs are fixed and changes are made without communication to the user base. Rain keeps adding features but the basic features still are buggy especially in accounting for costs and inventory valuation. In addition, once a bug is submitted and sent to development, we are not sure of the timing of the fix or the actual fix.

Reeze
CEO/Designer in US
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

Like-Sew websites have helped me build my online presence and streamline my business.

Comments: It was easy to use

Pros:

It is easy to use and update, so I can create and modify my own products, and add products from the integrated industry catalogs. It provides me with useful information about my customers and sales transactions, data which really helps me keep and attract new customers. I especially like the batch product update feature so I can change a group of products at a time without having to individually update each product record. I have had good customer service, especially when there was a problem with the software. I have seen my sales grow and my professional online image enhanced. The cost is reasonable for my business so far. The video training is great and absolutely necessary to understand how to use the software efficiently. I also attended training at Fall Quilt Market which was excellent and highly informative.

Cons:

I am disappointed that I am unable to integrate my email marketing with the website. In my opinion, The Marketing package is not as useful to online-only stores as it is to POS customers. The newsletter module is clunky and hard to work with. The email feature is useful, but since my email list is on a different service and not integrated, it is not as useful as it could be. It took awhile for my site to get up and running well, and to work out all the bugs. I had to be persistent in following up to get problems fixed and clear in my communication to be sure they understood what I was asking for.

Andrea
Sales Associate in US

Tons of features packed into one POS system, great customer support.

Pros:

Rain has tons of features, and for a music store that sells, rents, and repairs instruments, and also does lessons, there are a lot of things we need software for. With Rain, we can do most of it in one place, whereas in the past, we've had to have a system for this, something different for this, and something different for that also. It's a huge time saver and much less confusing to be able to do everything we need to do in one place. And the website is clean and easy to customize. Customer service is super easy to get in touch with and great to work with.

Cons:

There are still a few bugs in this software. While the customer support guys are good about listening and working on fixes, there are still some small annoying things. For instance, when you delete a product from the Categories page, it does not direct you back to the Categories page, but rather the Products page. There's also not an easy way to move products into different categories in bulk. You either have to open each product manually, or you have to export the info to a spreadsheet.

Todd
Retail, 2–10 Employees

User friendly POS/Website for a small business.

Comments: Rain POS has allowed me to present the entire inventory of my retail shop available online. When photos for my items are not available from vendors, I snap a few with my iphone and they are uploaded in seconds.
I am not a computer tech by any means, but have found making changes to my site an easy task. When in doubt I find one of the helpful webinars and by he end of the viewing I am comfortable tackling the next task.
Customer service has been prompt and thorough. I have not had to call often, but when I do the matter is resolved within minutes. This is a plus as I typically operate my shop alone.
Recently I realized that I was not utilizing the SEO portion of Rain to it's fullest potential. My google placement was lagging back on pages 4 to 7. I spent 3 hours watching a webinar provided by Rain and spent a few weeks plucking away at my site. I am happy to say that 60 days later I am appearing on the first page of searches I deem important. One again I was able to accomplish this utilizing tools provided by Rain, not by paying an outside SEO company for this service.
Overall I am extremely happy with Rain and have recommended it to several other business in my area.

Pros:

Ease of use even for a person not formally trained in computer technology.

Cons:

Just a few small glitches here and there, but they continue to make improvements and they are quickly resolved.

Valerie

Great Software and Support

Comments: Ecommerce is great! Great Support!

Pros:

The Software is so easy to use and if you need help the support team is always willing to help.

Cons:

I would like the software to integrate with Facebook and Instagram.

Tami
Owner in US

Never worked, horribly inaccurate migration of sales history

Comments: Unfortunately, all I got was a whole lot of wasted time and a loss of money for absolutely nothing. I really wanted it to work, and it might have, had they been able to migrate my sales history.

Pros:

my contact was really nice. I was very excited about the integration aspects of the software, unfortunately I was never able to use them.

Cons:

I was initially assured our sales history could be migrated. Later I received an email saying it could not. I responded that was unacceptable and I did not wish to continue with the software. It is useless to us without it. I was reassured if I exported the data in the correct formats, it would work. We spent three days checking the data to assure a high level of accuracy and sent it in the requested formats. I was told the migration team would take care of the rest. Untrue. We spent weeks, rechecking the data which was horrifically incorrect. We sent several punch lists. Some of the errors were fixed but often we were told "we don't know why this is happening". Even simple yes/no columns in our spreadsheets were randomly incorrect. Were we told we would just have to manually check all the data; over 3000 customers and 19000 sales receipts. We worked for three months, 100s of hours and have never been able to go live due to all of the errors. I couldn't enter employees in the system without them being an administrator, which they classified as a "glitch" and told me to use a different computer than the one at work. I have desperately tried to get these issues corrected. When I requested a refund they said the fees were non-refundable after the migration is complete. My migration was never complete and I requested not to continue with them if they were unable to migrate my sales history, before they started the migration. This system did not work as advertised and sold to me.

Jed
Manager in US
Apparel & Fashion, 2–10 Employees

Worst POS ever?

Comments: I’ve been suffering through the Rainbow pOS for the past three years. Hands down the worst POS I’ve ever encountered. Only reason we haven’t changed is the hassle of doing so. Once you become a Rain user you’ll have access to a feature that helps to recommend what features you’d like to see. This is probably the best feature only because I can see how every other user of Rain is as frustrated as I am. They keep saying they are making improvements but nothing ever changes.

Pros:

Rain is cloud based software. It’s pretty inexpensive compared to others Works on any computer with internet.

Cons:

Reporting is lacking Have to click three buttons to print a receipt Glitchy and buggy Inability to remove items from orders that don’t ship complete Customer service is lacking

Sondra

We love RAIN POS

Comments: I highly recommend RAIN. Having our inventory on our website has been so helpful and using RAIN has been very easy for my team to learn.

Pros:

I love that Rain POS integrates with a website! I also love that RAIN continues to listen to suggestions and strives to add new features.

Cons:

There are some reports that would be helpful.

Sherry

Calico Cupboard

Pros:

I was using another online web service when I heard about Rain (Like Sew). I like what they were offering and the price was great compared to what I was paying. We signed up in 2013/14 and have not regretted it for a minute. I love being able to see what inventory we have, what our customers are buying, being to look back and tell a customer what a fabric was that they purchased.

Cons:

There are always features and issues that could be improved upon but right now I'm happy with what we have.

Patricia

Like Sew Software

Comments: In the beginning support was good and they really seem to care about helping your business grow. Now they want to add stuff that I don't need and keep raising the price

Pros:

I originally like the fact that the POS interacted with the suppliers . Made it easy to load inventory into the system. Now they are raising the cost so much it really does not pay for itself.

Cons:

The cost is high for a same business to use.

Kathi
Owner in US

Great POS platform - even for beginners! Not intimidating.

Comments: Inventory reporting, mainly. I just began using the Marketing module and so far, it seems like it will be a real winner and time saver for me!

Pros:

I like the data capture feature and the real time aspect of the online merging with the B&M shop. Knowing that what my customer is seeing online is what is actually available is fabulous.

Cons:

The sad lack of report query options, particularly in regards to my inventory. I can put notes in if I make an adjustment but can't ever see those notes again. That's a feature I've been asking for for years.

Lori
General Manager/Owner in US
Retail, Self Employed

Review of Rain POS for Quilt Shops

Comments: Overall, I've been very happy with my experience and their software. Customer service has always been helpful if I had a question or issue. The software has integrated well with my QuickBooks software so that's been helpful as I'm learning QB. The efficiency I've gained by using this software versus going other routes has completely justified the value for me and my business.

Pros:

Once you learn the system and features, it's pretty easy and intuitive. I like how integrated everything is - purchasing, receiving inventory, online and in-store transactions. Adding new products through almost any of my vendors is fast and easy.

Cons:

The software is under constant development which is good, but also challenging. I like that they are continually working to improve the product, but it can be time consuming to keep up with constant changes.

Tawni

Good

Comments: For the most part, it's pretty good. Hope they continue to develop better reporting capabilities. Some quirks along the way - some get fixed, some they can't explain.

Pros:

I like that it integrates inventory between our point of sale and our website. We also like being able to access customers' purchase history.

Cons:

Bare bones reporting, i.e. for sales data. Many reports offer zero or very few "drill down" options for specifics.

Rosanne
Retail, 2–10 Employees

We are very pleased with the software and support!

Comments: Good!

Pros:

Easy to learn, install, and use. Reports are easy to understand. Customer support when you call in is EXCELLENT

Cons:

There are some things inherent in our business that it does not accommodate AND they have not updated. We've asked for some additional options and they've not happened.