• Overall

About Help Scout

Help Scout is a web-based help desk designed for a great customer experience.

Learn more about Help Scout

Product Rating

Product Rating

Usage

Sort by

Have you used Help Scout before?

Abraham C.
Abraham C.
Social Media Manager & Administrative Support in Philippines
Mining & Metals, 2-10 Employees

Great for Basic Customer Support

5 last month New

Comments: I have nothing to say about Help Scout's services, it does an excellent job, hands down. Though it's lacking some features and the pricing is a little bit high based on what features they offer. If you want just a basic customer service software for handling emails then Help Scout is a good choice.

Pros:

Help Scout does what it's supposed to do and it's very good at it. No doubt about that. It's the very main reason why many companies trust Help Scout for their customer support management. You can create automations, saved replies, a knowledgebase, and a chat widget (they call it Beacon). Everything works as it's supposed to and we never had any issues so far. It's really easy to set up automations and saved replies, no need to look into their help docs. You just need to use your common sense to navigate through the dashboard. I am using it daily for my client's e-commerce business for the past 6 years and I can say that it's a really solid product. I also like their mobile app because it works really well. This is very important so you can attend to your customers even when you're not at your desk. Most customers want very quick responses and so the mobile app will be very handy when you don't have access to a computer. There's no issue with deliverability as all our emails and replies went straight to customers' inboxes, which is very critical for this kind of app.

Cons:

I found another software that has more features than this app and the pricing is also good. I wish Help Scout will have a feature where you can snooze or schedule an email or reply, and the ability to create embeddable forms. Also, I wish you can connect your social media accounts so you will be able to easily monitor your social media audiences when they message you or when they comment on your posts. These are available on the other software I found and it is a great alternative to this software.

Sales in Mexico
Design, Self Employed

Easy to use and helpful features

5 2 months ago New

Comments: Very helpful and friendly e-mail platform for customer service and customer service related analytics.

Pros:

I like that it is very easy at the eye, we use it mainly for customer service and e-mail threads are really easy to catch up on even if conversations are several or long. Also Love the preset answers feature, very helpful for general questions.

Cons:

The thing I like the least is that filters are not the friendliest sometimes besides the filter you need to look further yourself for specific info.

Andrea N.
Andrea N.
Founder and CEO at PhraseExpander in Italy
Information Technology & Services, Self Employed

Simply the best customer support system

5 2 years ago

Comments: The product is very well designed, easy and natural to use. On top of that, their support is excellent and they reply very quickly.

Pros:

I like how transparent the experience is for the user and how easy it is to set up and use. I like the integration with the KB system to quickly insert a reference to the article.

Cons:

Difficult to tell. I'm really enjoying everything on it, especially now that they added the live chat so I can stop using other software for that. Maybe I'd love a more advanced system to manage the custom replies. I'd appreciate if there's a better way to manage formatting inside the editor for the KB.

John F.
That Guy in US
Entertainment, 11-50 Employees

Help Scout transformed our intra-office communication moments from chaos in motion to ballet.

5 4 years ago

Comments: to keep it simple..streamlined staff communications on everything from emails to phone call messages to intra-office project coordination and much more. Did I mention not having to get emails about emails that were about a forward of an email that was a forwarded email snippet...yep

Pros:

I no longer get an email about an email that is about a forward of an email which was originally about an email that was about an email that was forwarded regarding an email that was sent. Exactly..we have all had the pleasure of deciphering the shortened email snippet, forwards and the references to email threads that are broken but with Help Scout I now see it all..and see when..and where ..and who..Yep.. order to the choas of my many "conversations". And ohhhhh sooo much data hygine..i agree a terrible phrase but such a critical thing for any serious business. This includes a robust beyond belief search and filter feature. For those who appreciate effecient shortcuts and cross refereneced data points...yep tags..and filtering by tags as well. The bane of my existence is also the best feature which is the timeline transparancy that Help Scout brings. We all know who touched what when so we can not step on toes and if we try they put in the "traffic cop" feature to prevent unprofessional duplicate customer touches. Additionally, you can use Help Scout to assign voicemails to staff individual to deal with if your voicemail service offers emailed transcription forwards. Our staff also create conversation for intra office communications all the time to document timelines and details for reference later if needed. HS has helped us track everything from maintenance service logs to customer complaints and staff schedules.

Cons:

This is only a tough question and one I would suggest come first when reviewing since after listing all the things i love and enjoy it helps me block out the uglier bits and pieces.. Besides some of the android app glitches that are more annoying than crisis creating I am still hard pressed to find many cons about using HS this past 2 years. has had a "negative" impact on my work communications besides the timeline busting myself for something

Founder in Canada

We use Help Scout to stay on top of our customer support

5 4 years ago

Comments: Help Scout helped us get a handle on our support workflow and as we've added to our support team, it's made that process painless. We use the custom sidebar apps to great effect.

Pros:

Help Scout is a focused, straightforward support mailbox product, and we've been using it to great effect since we switched over (from a shared inbox for support) a couple of years ago. We were happy with the pricing, and we use the custom sidebar add-ons to great effect. We've written our own sidebar app that gives our support team access to a ton of useful customer information and error logging without ever leaving the mailbox. When we've dealt with Help Scout support, they've also been great. Help Scout does exactly what we want.

Cons:

Help Scout is a relatively slim and focused offering (although they are indeed adding new features all the time) this was actually a *selling point* for us, as we didn't want a super-complex tool for this but I am sure that for some users this could be problematic.

Sara Y.
Donor Support Associate in US
Nonprofit Organization Management, 51-200 Employees

Help Scout helps out

4 last year

Comments: Help Scout helps out in a pinch. I definitely recommend any company or business that has a customer support component to it to use their software and platform to start.

Pros:

When I used to work at ActBlue as a support associate, I really liked Help Scout's ticketing system. It was straightforward and less confusing than Intercom. Escalating and de-escalating issues was pretty easy. Help Scout is a huge help for customer service, people oriented folks like me.

Cons:

This is just a theory but I feel like Help Scout works better with certain email addresses than others. For people who have older emails such as hotmail, aol, or yahoo - their messages don't come across so clearly, which makes helping our customers and clients a real challenge.

Stefanos E.
Cloud consultant in Greece
Computer Software, Self Employed

Help Scout review

5 11 months ago

Comments: Help Scout is a very user intuitive and helpful tool to keep all your customer support interactions gathered and managed in a single place. Very responsive and easy to use Web app console which I am making use of on a daily basis.

Pros:

I was impressed by the overall features and functionality of this product. In the basic pricing plan it allows you to create up to three support mailboxes and thus supporting three organizations with a single account. Each mailbox can be configured with an associated beacon, i.e. chat and customer support monitoring with customizable behavior depending on what end user experience you wish to offer to your customer support. Last but not least Help Scout features documentation pages which act as a knowledge base for supporting your users and thus eliminating support calls.

Cons:

I would like to see more granular configurations made available in the aesthetic side of a knowledge base. I would also like to see the basic plan to support up to three knowledge bases out of the box without an extra charge beyond the first one.

Carrie S.
Virtual Assistant in US
Management Consulting, Self Employed

I currently use Help Scout with a client and it is a great tool for staying connected and helping each other respond more quickly to her clients. Really neat software.

5 4 years ago

Pros:

1. The number 1 thing I love is that emails are "closed" once they are responded to. When I'm in my own email, I have a tendency to never delete messages. Then I think I need to sort into folders and so on, but that's a waste of time and messy. Help Scout automatically closes them when you've responded to it. But you can still search for it and find it. It's perfect! I get Zero in-box with Help Scout! 2. I also like that you can tag people (reassign) so my client can assign emails to me that she wants me to handle. 3. You can tag the emails, so once a week, she can go in and find a certain type of message to work on those all together. 4. You can write a common response and then save it to be reused. 5. You can write notes within message and tag the team member who you want to see the note, but the original sender of the message doesn't see the note.

Cons:

I found it confusing at first because I didn't know where the closed messages were going, and I was nervous about closing messages, that they would disappear. But it just took some learning. My client who added me to her account was able to show me how it works. I'm not sure what the Help Scout training is like.

Melissa B.
CS Manager in US

Love Help Scout

5 4 years ago

Pros:

I love all of the features that Help Scout offers. We're a growing CS department and it's scaled with us quite nicely. Our Developers are able to customize is for us and it's quite easy to use.

Cons:

There are only a few things I don't like about HS. The main thing is that it would be nice to make article formatting easier to use with out HTML. And, it would awesome if they implemented a live chat feature, so we didn't have to use Intercom in addition to HS.

Dave Z.
Dave Z.
Principal/Owner in Canada

Keeps our customer support organized and on task

5 3 years ago

Pros:

A clean UI that has obviously been well thought through. They iterate and add features routinely and are very proactive in communicating with their customers. For example, I had discovered a bug, which they confirmed and rolled out a fix within 48 hours. There are small reminders and tips presented within the context of the app, which are very helpful (eg. helping the user in distinguishing between an internal comment and a customer reply - this is very useful). Overall, there is great value for the money, I would strongly recommend Help Scout as a help desk/customer facing communication tool.

Cons:

IMAP integration for outgoing e-mail archiving would be highly valued. Only Gmail is supported at this time.

Lindsey H.
Student Coach in US

Powerful and Easy to Use!

5 4 years ago

Comments: Ease of use, overview of mailboxes and emails, time-saving shortcuts

Pros:

Love seeing all message threads with the contact to the right when an email is open Like being able to star certain boxes so they show up first Love being able to have stored replies Like being able to keep notes that you can see at a glance upon opening an email

Cons:

Don't like that it sometimes takes a bit for the numbers to refresh in mailboxes, from time to time. Don't like that you can't order or resize the starred mailboxes Don't like that multiple addresses for the same person aren't flagged somehow

Product Manager in US
Consumer Services, 11-50 Employees

Useful tool for managing customer communication

5 3 years ago

Pros:

I liked the ability to create complex rule sets that auto-filter certain types of conversations to appropriate mailboxes. Without this, there would be a lot of noise experienced by our various internal users

Cons:

Not significant, but would be great if users were given a more expansive toolkit for editing copy (fonts, sizes, etc).

Margaret S.
Margaret S.
Hobby Blogger/Vlogger in Australia

Simple and Easy To Use!

4 4 years ago

Pros:

I love the assign options and leaving notes to your teammate. It is pretty easy to use and this is our first helpdesk software on our team. Definitely not thinking of switching to others so far.

Cons:

The merge option needs some update. It is quite confusing at some point especially when you are handling a lot of support emails.

Adam D.
Support Team in US
Computer Software

Best Ticket Manager I have Ever Used

5 6 years ago

Pros:

Help Scout is fast and efficient. Everything works smoothly 95% of the time, and for the other 5% their support team is on it, making you aware of slow down + new features. I could not imagine running a support team of any type without Help Scout.

Cons:

I have to stretch to think of a negative, but I have wished that we could get reports on the click-through rates for emails. Some mass email features would be nice as well.

Ecommerce Evangelist in UK

Simple helpdesk software

5 3 years ago

Pros:

Simple to set up, not bloated with loads of features, just enough to help managing incoming email to generic company accounts, assigning them to team members, or using automation to respond and filter.

Cons:

They've gone through a period of a rebuild during which I did experience a few bugs but that appears to be tidied up now. They've increased their pricing/removed their free plan recently but it's worth paying for.

Seth F.
Customer Support in US
Financial Services

Very positive. Much better than my experience with email support through CRM.

5 4 years ago

Comments: Help Scout provides an intuitive interface for interacting with customers.

Pros:

It's a simple, slick layout without a lot of bloat. I've used Help Scout primarily for email support, but they also support public facing and private document databases.

Cons:

It has a couple of oddities in hotkeys and text editor blips, but they're negligible. I've yet to run into anything that's a real headache.

Vice President of Operations in US
Environmental Services, 11-50 Employees

Nothing short of transformational

5 4 years ago

Pros:

We are mainly using Help Scout as a customer service tracking tool. It has allowed us to move out of gmail to better track conversations with clients and track how quickly we are responding to customer issues.

Cons:

It does not integrate as smoothly with Salesforce as we would like and doesn't create smooth integration with our sales funnels.

Kiersten J.
Retail

Help Scout is great for teamwork

5 7 years ago

Pros:

We no longer lose track of unread messages! Assigned messages help clear the main inbox for others. The traffic cop feature and being able to see who is already in a message alleviates the issue of multiple responses to one customer. The HelpScout blogs have been insightful and extremely beneficial in the growth of our customer service practices.

Cons:

From time to time, the messages we've sent have ended up in a SPAM inbox for vendors and customers due to filters.

Mark A.
Project Manager in Pakistan
Retail, 2-10 Employees

We used it for our customer service and it turned out to be a great experience.

5 4 years ago

Pros:

It is a very user friendly and easy to use software. You can add all channels at one place and easily handle them.

Cons:

Sometimes you may miss a conversation if its a little older (Page 2,3 etc). Any unattended conversation shows as bold but if the conversation is 2 3 pages behind, you may not go that back to see and may miss them.

Gabe S.
Philanthropy

Help Scout is great

Pros:

It's pretty simple to use and it helps you stay on top of several inboxes at the same time. The design is excellent and the account creation and management is very easy to use. The customer service is excellent (as you might expect!) And the system is very reliable.

Cons:

The setup is a little tricky, and I don't really feel like the "reply from your email" system they tout is as good as I would like it to be. Some of our staff members have had trouble adding Help Scout into their workflow so they're not taking full advantage of the system. This is probably not all Help Scout's fault, but it does indicate some degree of a learning curve since it's different than traditional email.

Daniel D.
Head Of Marketing in New Zealand

A fantastic, low cost chat tool, with email connection AND ability to provide support documentation

5 3 years ago

Comments: We started using it recently after moving from a competitor Has all the features we need, at around 30% of the cost Easy to use Allows us to put chat tools on sales pages so that customers can talk to humans or email questions Links to documents

Pros:

Cheap compared to competitors Easy to use Ability to put onto specific pages at no extra cost Does exactly what we need Connects with our support email, so ppl can email outside of office hours Has a built in documentation site so people can 'self help' and look at faqs etc

Cons:

Could benefit from further customization (Headlines etc) When linking to documentation offsite- links can break (We use an ad blocker so could be that)

Office Lead in Honduras
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 201-500 Employees

Help Scout For Ticketing

5 3 years ago

Comments: As a person that learns how to use apps on my own, the first days with Help Scout were sort of catastrophic. Due to the automated change of tickets after leaving notes or replying on some of them, I ended up replying or closing the wrong ones, and in a delicate work, this was frustrating. I had to get help to reconfigure it. After that, it has been easy to use, and has a pretty interface that makes working with tickets very nice.

Pros:

Interface, easy to find the tickets that one is assigned or the new tickets.

Cons:

Not very intuitive when it comes to self learning. The original automated format would change tickets for me and on my first tries, I ended up responding to the wrong tickets or closing the wrong tickets.

Tabar G.
Customer Service Manager in US

Great Solution for our team

5 7 years ago

Comments: We've been using HelpScout for about 3 months now and it's been a great tool for our team. This was the best way for us to manage our multi-brand company in one location. We've got two busy seasons where we are flooded with emails and have a team of 8-16 people working on the same "account." This has allowed us to much more efficiently manage our volume and not duplicate work. We LOVE the note tool, as we can link our systems together and make it easy to see what's going on with a particular conversation. The merge conversation option is also a huge help for us as our customers will often send us multiple emails over the course of a year. Reporting tools are very useful and easy to use. We are just setting up our internal knowledge base and so far we love it too. The customer service has been stellar as we've needed help, always a quick, professional and helpful reply. Overall we are very impressed with HelpScout.

Zach B.
Marketing & Advertising

Quality support, software continuing to make improvements

4 7 years ago

Pros:

I like the ease of receiving support requests and delegating tasks. They also continue to make improvements to the software.

Cons:

I'm unable to delete customers. There's no easy way to clear out old tags.

Danielle L.
Computer Software
Used the Software for: Not provided

Simple, easy, powerful support software

5 7 years ago

Pros:

Help Scout is easy to set up and use, and you can be up and running within 10 minutes. Their staff is also very welcome to feature requests and are quick to respond if you have a problem or question with the app.

Cons:

Lack of foreign language translation within the app. Currently we have to copy and paste content from our non-English speaking customers into Google Translate and I wish this was in the app directly.