About Confluence

Confluence is a team workspace where knowledge and collaboration meet. Create, collaborate, and organize your work all in one place.

Learn more about Confluence

Pros:

It is a very practical and simple software, it is not necessary to invest a lot of time to learn how to use it. Its graphic interface is very friendly, it is very intuitive software.

Cons:

Now I need to upload to google docs and import as google doc rather than word. The error messages sometimes are on the level of "something went wrong.

Confluence ratings

4.2
4.2
4.3
4.3

8.2/10

Confluence has an overall rating of 4.4 out 5 stars based on 2,197 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Confluence before?

Filter reviews (2,197)

Nachiket P.
Nachiket P.
Decision Analytics Associate in India
Management Consulting, 10,000+ Employees

Confluence - The Best Team Workspace for a Product Manager

5 2 months ago

Comments: My experience with Confluence has been really great. As a fellow Atlassian tool to JIRA, it has provided our team with templates for a variety of tasks like Goal Planning, Requirement Gathering, and Meeting Notes. For the Product team at ZS, we have integrated JIRA and Confluence, to create requirements in the JIRA board from Confluence, and present these requirements in a structured format in Confluence using the Requirement Gathering template available in Confluence.

Pros:

Confluence hosts a whole lot of great features, such as Spaces, Access management, document upload, and on-platform editing among others. But. the feature I like the most is the Templates. Our Product team at ZS uses readily available templates of Creative Brief, Product Requirements, and Product Roadmap for goal planning, requirement gathering & requirement documentation, and roadmap planning respectively. The best thing is we replicate these templates as-is for all the products in our product portfolio and this helps maintain standardisation of the documents.

Cons:

There is nothing that I dislike about Confluence. The only thing which I would suggest is that Confluence pages are really cluttered with information, providing too many things for the user to explore on the first try, which becomes really intimidating. Maybe the Overview page of a Space could be simplified further and a help guide link could be provided to understand the host of features provided in detail.

Justin C.
Justin C.
Sr Embedded Software Engineer in US
Computer Software, 501-1,000 Employees

Confluence For the (Easy) Win

4 last month New

Pros:

Confluence has become the defacto wiki tool for most of the companies that I've worked with. The barrier to entry is super simple and VERY easy to setup (either Enterprise deployment or in the Cloud). Either way, most engineers I know these days are very familiar with Confluence. There are also a ton of plugins and enhanced features that you can bolt onto Confluence which make it robust and scalable.

Cons:

There are a few things I don't like about Confluence: 1. The search functionality is a bit... wonky (?) to use... they try to load predictive results, which don't open in a new page automatically, it takes too long to load sometimes and if you press 'enter' and don't wait for the predictive results to load it takes you to entirely new page where the results have to load again. Also if you try to search before the JS has fully loaded the search doesn't work, takes your focus away. This means I have to be very slow when using the search feature and it easily frustrates me. 2. They advertise all these awesome plugins and support widgets, which cost a ton of money, but they only apply at the space level, not an individual account level. I'd be more inclined to buy stuff if I could also apply it to my personal Confluence account and take it with me. There are features like enhanced project management, and task management, and charting, and RTF features that I want, but the last two organizations LOCK THIS DOWN and getting a plugin installed is like moving heaven and earth. 3. Im a web dev and an embedded systems engineer. I like to touch things. Confluence can be a bit locked down sometimes and regid in the HTML5 layouts and JS run on page. I wish I could be an 'advanced user' and just make the changes within page. But I cannot. Im stuck with the one size fits all. All of that said, they are gripes of a dev, but otherwise the wiki space is pretty fantastic. I use it daily!

Ashish V.
Sr Architect in Canada
Financial Services, 10,000+ Employees

Best tool for Project Management in Industry

5 4 weeks ago New

Comments: Confluence helped to decommission code check in tools like SVN and fileshare in organization.
Verison control feature always helps to mitigate any risk during release and build deployment activities.
It saved enough time and human efforts for data n file managments for multiple projects.
Confluence turned to be life savior for many projects in cost effctive model.

Pros:

Confluence is very user friendly so no need to spend time and money on employee training and learning. It is time saving tool in agile project lifecycle reducing heavy documentation and support. Better customer support compared to other vendors and softwares. Cost effective and resilient for Risk management and project planning activities.

Cons:

Build deployment sometimes take time and version controlling mechanism require better practice for stability

Ck P.
Software Architect in US
Computer Software, 10,000+ Employees

Feature rich, but not very user friendly

3 last month New

Pros:

It's a great content management/Wiki tool for collaboration and knowledge base creation. It has many integrations available out of the box, especially Atlassian products. Once you understand how it works for authors, many powerful features are available. I really like the tree structure that lets you nest topics. This makes organization easy to create and locate relevant information quickly by skipping directly to the info.

Cons:

It can be daunting to get the hang of how things work as a new user. The user interface is simple, but some of the more powerful features require a bit of research and playing around to understand. We also frequently run into permission issues and user syncing with our IDP. We have tickets open with the vendor that took a long time to be acknowledged as bugs and after months, they are still not fixed.

Quality Assurance Engineer in India
Information Services, 11-50 Employees

Life saver for software projects

5 3 months ago

Comments: I have been using confluence every day for the last five years and I love how efficient and easy confluence is to use. It allows you to organize your pages into different spaces according to your needs and has an amazing set of tools for content editing. I remember before we used to store our data in JIRA cards or in MS word everything was just all over the place without any management. Now confluence is our one-stop solution for all our documentation needs. Using confluence we have all our content in one place and well organized

Pros:

Confluence is the most useful documentation tool of all time. It allows you to have all your documents in one place and not only that but it organizes them so very well. The number of tools it provides for editing a document is just amazing, something that is missing in all other documentation tools. The customizable templates are very useful too. I love adding images and videos to my documents, arranging the texts in blocks or tables, highlighting the important notes, etc. Confluence lets me do all of this. I also like how it allows collaboration of multiple people and highlights the contributors.

Cons:

I did not find any cons in the product itself but I would like to see better support service for confluence

Melissa H.
Melissa H.
Game Developer in US
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees

So far, it is the best tool for teamwork

4 4 weeks ago New

Comments: With the help of confluence, we're able to work together on our project even though our team members are located all over the world and come from a wide range of backgrounds. As a result, all of the project's information may be stored in a single location, making it convenient for everyone involved. This is a huge time-saver.

Pros:

Confluence provides a safe method for sharing knowledge and working on projects among team members. The main business, Atlassian, provides a wide range of reliable plugins. Because everyone on the team can make changes to the document repository and see when and who made them, this is one of the finest features of confluence's document sharing and management system.

Cons:

Many plugins are available, and it might be difficult to pick the ideal one for our purposes. This takes up a lot of time. The guidelines are typically adequate.

Morgan M.
Analyst in US

Clean and intuitive solution

5 2 months ago New

Comments: Our organization uses confluence in addition to other software solutions. So, we have the luxury of taking the best bits of confluence and not using the parts that aren’t so great. Though it is priced a bit higher than what I think it is worth, it is a good program to use for a lot of different things.

Pros:

I think the confluence looks very modern and clean. For what it is able to do, compared with its competitors, it does beautifully. It is easy to use, has good functionality, and makes things look modern and not dated. There are a lot of macros that can also be added on to improve functionality and tailor it to the needs of your team.

Cons:

With confluence, sometimes it is hard to make specific edits. When really getting into it and using it to its fullest potential, it does take a little bit of training. It also may look intimidating at first but once you get the hang of it, it’s OK. I don’t like that there aren’t a lot of free macro add-ons.

Director, Technical Product Management in US

Best in class document management, collaboration, and knowledge management solution!

5 5 days ago New

Comments: We wanted to sunset SharePoint services and move to a more inclusive tool, and Confluence allowed us to do so.

Pros:

No training needed to figure out how to use this tool which provides a return on investment second to none. As well, the document management side with a simplified navigation structure to locate what you need when you need it creates for a very productive environment.

Cons:

I have nothing bad to say about Confluence.

Unity Developer in Poland
Computer Games, 51-200 Employees

Knowledge sharing place

5 last month New

Pros:

Confluence is super cool in managing documents (including game design documents) and tracking meetings. We use it for keeping notes and preparing for periodical meetings (such as retros)

Cons:

There ain't too much lacking but I'd really appreciate better permissions tools so it's easier to track what do you have access to.

Flavio V.
Flavio V.
Software architect in Brazil

Slow, heavy, bureaucratic

3 3 weeks ago New

Pros:

Confluence has a good way to group the information and allow collaboration of the teams to share information about the project development.

Cons:

The search engine provided in Confluence is bad. Not intuitive and using the filters is difficult, requiring the user to check the guide. Creation of artifacts is also not intuitive.

Hossein P.
Senior Product Designer in Germany
Computer Software, 1,001-5,000 Employees

Keep everything in one place, best KMS in software projects!

4 2 months ago

Comments: We are using Confluence for more than 4 years and in multiple projects and compnaes. I can say this too is awesome and although still have lots of space for improvement, but the current version is truly reliable for enterprise-level companies.

Pros:

Easy to use and high integration level with other Atlassian tools is the most interesting part of Confluence. There are more powerful software out there, but none of them has this integration level in a full bundle that Atlassian offers.

Cons:

Managing tables (with a huge amount of data) is not easy here, so usually, we prefer to attach excel files, but if it was more powerful in managing sheets, definitely we like it more!

Charles A.
Charles A.
Account Manager in US
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 Employees

Good software, but not quite GREAT software.

4 3 months ago

Comments: We needed a document/knowledge depository. We ended up using Confluence for Knowledge Depository, it had too many limitations and too expensive to integration to use for Document Management. It did the job for knowledge management, but was very similar in features and functionality to other products that do this as well. We tried to adapt it for Customer Success management and meeting note taking but many users found it too difficult to use it regularly and it became shelf ware for this purpose.

Pros:

I like the version control features of Confluence, it's very easy to use and visibly see changes. Being able to build account dashboards with tasks from various business reviews was also a nice feature though had some limitations.

Cons:

The bullets formatting can be very frustrating and acts very strange sometimes. Confusing sign-in credentials for SSO when used with JIRA.

Rosy R.
Associate - People & Operarations in India
Human Resources, 11-50 Employees

Great to work with for a remote company

5 3 months ago

Comments: We are a remote company, and we need all of our policies and processes in one place. Confluence has really helped us to solve this particular aspect, as now we can just put everything together in one document - the final user now don't have to keep navigating to multiple places in multiple platforms, as now everything is maintained in confluence.

Pros:

Since we work remotely, confluence is the main repository for our documents (I belong to the People & Ops team and we have a lot of policies and processes documents to maintain). Here is what I like the most about confluence: 1. I feel its a perfect combination of a word and a presentation file; you can be as creative as you want with your content with no length limit (like in a presentation file) 2. I absolutely love how we can create sections within the document - makes the whole document look absolutely organized 3. We also can create indexes like in books so it's very convenient to find any particular topic that we are looking for 4. Easy to create and share any document 5. If you are collaborating with multiple people on a document, it's very easy to assign a certain task to them using the tagging and action item feature 6. You get amazing options to complete your document - layouts, table, heading, alignment of text/images, emoji 7. Also if you have not tried the insert function yet, you are missing out a whole deal there - with so many options to choose from, this makes the document very very interactive

Cons:

All the features in confluence are great. However, since I am also a user of the google sheet and word, the only pinch I feel - and this is about every time I use Confluence - is the lack of font to choose from. The default font is good as it makes the whole document look very professional. But for documents where we actually want to add more fun, I believe, we would definitely need more fonts :)

Field Marketing Specialist in US
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Content and document management are made easier using this tool

4 4 months ago

Comments: New employees and colleagues in the same department can use Confluence to learn about specific procedures. As a result, it may not be the most efficient method for distributing information between departments. It's better suited to those who have a wide range of knowledge.

Pros:

Confluence has been used extensively by my team to keep track of and add new information to the knowledge base. It appears that we have done a good job of creating pages that provide the information new employees require. Small businesses can use the tool, but I believe it is better suited to larger ones. It's quick and easy to set up a wiki for your team. Real-time collaboration, complete version history, and automated change logs and diffs are all included. You can move and drop documents in the document tree with ease because each document has a unique URL. This is one of the most convenient methods for obtaining such a combination. Confluence integrates seamlessly with the other Atlassian products, making project and product management as simple as possible. This year has seen an explosion in the number of templates that are available to help you keep your documentation organized and easy to fill out. Useful, but sometimes you must look up exactly how to use macros. Confluence's macro documentation is extremely helpful.

Cons:

If you don't have a lot of experience with wiki software, the editor can be difficult to work with. When it comes to macros and formatting settings, it can be difficult to know which tool is best for your project. It's difficult to organize a collection of articles, but that's to be expected. With the help of the software, you can organize your pages in a predetermined way. This is effective, but it necessitates a great deal of self-control as your familiarity with the software increases.

Giovanni M.
Document Analyst in Philippines
Internet, Self Employed

A wiki like software, Successful Tracking and Project Management

5 9 months ago

Comments: As mentioned in the title of my review, it's like a wiki version for the company's documents. I can easily find almost everything that I am looking for specially when tracking a document or checking for reference of hierarchy. It is the best solution for providing guide and solution documentation for my clients/customers.When I was still employed under an e-commerce company, we used confluence across most of our departments. It is very useful for finding information, reference for training because it serves as a knowledge base for our company's content. It can also be used as reference when checking metrics and product information within the company that is very important for the decision making of higher management.

Pros:

-No need to use multiple MS software like Ms Project, excel or even Word for documentation. Now I'm using a single tool for my Checklist, Requirement list, action plans, help guides, and testing strategies. -I like how it is integrated with JIRA which is also one of the main tools we use at work. All Jira dashboards are available within Confluence which allows documentation to be supported by task. -There are ready templates for creating different types of documents. There is an option to create hierarchy for documentation and link them to each other to avoid duplication.

Cons:

-Right now, exporting of documents is only limited to Word and PDF file types. It would be better if there were more options. -Adding the option to customize forms would be a convenient feature. Instead of only having the pre-build forms. -It is also better if there will be more complex support for searching algorithms for discovery when searching, not just by typing the exact keyword

Technical Operations Manager in UK
Medical Devices, 11-50 Employees

Notes and Document Management for Pros

5 9 months ago

Comments: Confluence is the best notes taking and document creation software available - it's a well-integrated, easy to navigate tool that enables live collaboration whilst providing a range of integrations to other business tools!

Pros:

Easy to use navigation bar per space (topic area) of store notes coupled with a range of text formatting and style features - Confluence is one of the best software tools available for notes taking! The inbuilt macros, linking page functions, mentions, comments and live editing all add to the allure of the Atlassian product range.

Cons:

Confluence can be a steep learning curve due to the overwhelming amount of functionality available - including the permissions and access control clashes.

Zuhairah A.
Zuhairah A.
Marketing Communications Specialist in Malaysia
Internet, 5,001-10,000 Employees

Very flexible collaboration tools

4 last year

Comments: Main issue that we have solved with this software is, sharing and giving access of document to certain user from various department. It help to protect the document and it will give insight if the document has been edited and the editor of the document.

Pros:

I really like that Confluence is very flexible in managing collaboration of documentation and task. Creating a document and stored it in the cloud storage provided by this platform make the sharing process of the document is very easy and flawless and the document will only circulated inside the software which add more security to the document.

Cons:

The only thing that i have problem with this software is, the full text search is not properly constructed. Too many unrelated search result is returned and that mean it is not accurate. I need to scan the result manually to find the document that i need and that action is taking time and slowing me down.

Julián M.
Full-Stack developer in France
Financial Services, 2-10 Employees

Class-enterprise knowledge base software

5 last year

Comments: The best thing I achieved using this software was to integrate the concept of knowledge base with my business logic, and it really helped because they have a great documentation for starters, and they don't just learn to use the platform, but the overall concept regarding documentation management.

Pros:

The best feature that this has is the extended Add-In marketplace. You can find the proper Add-In to express your ideas in the best way: Coding, Images or illustrations, animated gifs or videos, and even forms inside the documents and pages. From a user perspective, this is one on the easiest knowledge base software in the market, and also you have the bakcing of Atlassian. The process of the integration with our existing business logic was easy because we didn't have a strict knowledge base, but Confluence gave us the foundations to build one from scratch.

Cons:

The export tools and options you have inside the platform are not good. The data isn't portable, so you can't migrate easily to another platform in case you want. The installation process was complex, but today, they stopped producing self-hosted applications, so you are obligated to use their cloud services, and it can be a problem if the company has a strict data policy, like restrictions in the phisycal storage of the data.

Prince K.
Senior Consultant in US

Documentation Resource and Sharing

5 last year

Comments: Confluence is a nice tool to keep documentation organized as long as you remember where you're putting it (bookmarks). The tool is not sophisticated enough to provide ease of mind but it does provide a place to store documentation and the ability to share it or set permissions to intend on the correct people to view the items. Overall I as well as others use it but its also not the best and we all know it can be loads better in terms of features and formatting.

Pros:

The rich text central location of document storage and the ability to share based on permissions is a nice-to-have tool for large companies or groups. Utilization is tricky as every team or group will use it in their own way and organize their own way so even if you implement this in your company and you're browsing another department's documentation, you will find essentially that it is just their own internal documentation which requires a little bit of a lucky search to find what you're looking for. Essentially this is a glorified document cloud storage which allows version control, permissions, and sharing.

Cons:

It is not much different than say any other software or tool available in this category. It has some nice features like version control and seeing a complete history of who made changes to what along with comments and a social feature to it where you can subscribe but honestly there is so much more potential here especially from a company like Atlassian. I just feel they really dropped the ball here by not implementing better integration with some other apps which are already available. Example is that their spreadsheet implementation is a nightmare. The formatting almost always behaves irradicably and it has the bare minimum when it comes to these spreadsheets. Why not implement at least at the base of other offerings? For a paid product, the level of quality is expected to be much more.

Nadiv T.
Customer Service Emergency Hotline Employee in Netherlands
Consumer Electronics, 501-1,000 Employees

Confluence: the hub for knowledge management

5 last year

Comments: Overall, I use Confluence every day in my work to keep my (and my organization's) knowledge base relevant. I use to it to collaborate with other employees for improving internal processes, as well as for communicating important current info (such as outages or key developments). Confluence is unmatched in its search functionality, and allows my organization to keep its knowledge base completely streamlined.

Pros:

I use Confluence as a customer service employee. We have a vast amount of procedures for managing internal systems, as well as for applying systems to actual contact with customers. All of these procedures are stored and maintained in Confluence. What helps me the most, is Confluence's super-advanced search functionality. Essentially, I merely have to type in a relevant word, and Confluence will list all the applicable articles. This allows me to find a relevant procedure for a specific situation in seconds. Another important feature to me is the commenting system. I collaborate with users who create and manage articles. When I see info in an article that's outdated or incorrect, I can leave a comment, and the article manager will get a notification. It's easy to collaborate in this way and keep information up-to-date. Lastly, the permission schemes help with keeping editing (or even viewing rights) limited to the relevant users. Within customer service this is important, as there are varying levels of authorization within our organisation.

Cons:

In my opinion, the user experience and readability of the software could be improved slightly. The color scheme of blue/white/black isn't bad, but the layout tends to be somewhat messy. It could benefit from some streamlining, and perhaps more clear demarcation of elements within pages (such as more use of bold / italics, more variance in font size, and use of headers).

Sridhar R.
Chief Technology Officer in US
E-Learning, 11-50 Employees

Easy and Simple Enterprise knowledge base and document management system

5 2 years ago

Comments: Confluence is really good for organizing all of your company/teams requirements related to content, document, knowledge management and file management. Its a must for any company which is dependent on content and content based activities.

Pros:

From the word go, our team was able to jump start and create a solid knowledge base for our entire enterprise. Being in Education and E-Learning domain - content is the heart of our business. Managing content created by various teams inside company, partner contributions, freelancers content is extremely crucial and critical. Some of the most important features of this product for us are: Document Management, Knowledge base, Version Control System, Structured Pages, Search

Cons:

Confluence product does content related work really well. But that's not enough as we have grown in last 3 years and so are our requirements. Integrations with forms, data collections, Kanban board, tasks etc have become kind of a must rather than good to have features. We are currently on the premium plan and $10 per user for just managing document and collaboration seems little too much, specially when there are products which provide much more for less.

Luke A.
Luke A.
Client Services in UK

Best knowledge management and wiki out there

4 2 years ago

Comments: If you use other Atlassian products, Confluence is the perfect complement. Because exporting documents is so bad, it works best if you, your colleagues and your stakeholders/clients all exist in the same Atlassian ecosystem.

Pros:

Highly configurable and easy to use document templates, beautiful interface akin to using Medium, and deep integration with Jira Software and Jira Service Management are the features I find most useful. Recent changes to Templates to enable you to quickly search and preview available templates is incredibly helpful, as inline commenting while editing and being able to quickly convert anything into a Jira issue. Being able to use Confluence to defer service management requests by offering reporters the option of self serving an answer to their question/problem is a stroke of genius.

Cons:

It's beyond irritating that exporting documents as a PDF is so horrendous out of the box. I also find the concept of Actions vs Jira issues confusing. I consistently find myself missing actions that have been buried in Confluence.

Praveen K.
Praveen K.
IT Analyst in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

I highly recommend this product for all corporate companies.

5 2 years ago

Comments: Overall I'm very happy with this product, without confluence it's impossible to maintain the knowledge article in our team.
It helps everyone across the team. Thanks to the confluence team for such a wonderful product.

Pros:

It comes with rich features, below are a few features which I personally liked: 1. Documentation: When there are some important knowledge articles that need to be shared with the team, we use this tool. It comes with multiple options to make the page feels catchy and rich, it also allows us to attach the images. 2. Search Functionality: When there are 1000s of confluence pages, and if I want to access the page containing a specific word or a line, the search engine works like a champ it finds the pages almost immediately, this feature really helps me in easing my office work. 3. It displays the name of the person who had created the page and last modified person name, this helps to know whom to reach out to when we need additional info pertaining to the details as written on the page. And if required we can add the approvals, thus whenever someone edits the document without your consent changes won't reflect others until you approve the updates. 4. Like and Comments: Similar to social media, readers can either hit like if they like the content or they can mention their feedback in the comment section, this feature really helped me while suggesting something to the author or express my thanks via a LIKE.

Cons:

There should've been an option to keep the page in draft before publishing it. But unfortunately, there is no such feature in confluence. Apart from this, I didn't find any other flaws in the software.

Jinan S.
Scrum Masters in US
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Jira is incomplete without confluence!

4 2 years ago

Comments: Overall, I am very satisfied with the confluence. Multiple architects collectively decided to use that over Sharepoint. The key reason is the seamless integration between these two products (Jira and Confluence). For an example, by simply writing the issue key on confluence page would automatically create the link to Jira ticket while reflecting the status of the ticket. This would allow visibility for Release Planning, while allowing you to write an appropriate decisions such as Go-No-Go on the same page.

Pros:

Confluence offers pretty good UI for creating excellent documents (requirements or design). It does support pretty much all features of Microsoft word for creating a great documentation. Between all Atlasssian products, if you are tight on budget, I would suggest you to get Jira and confluence combo. It’s indeed great tool combo for the remote agile teams to work together due to their seamless integration.

Cons:

One thing that I loved on the share point that’s not great with confluence is integration with the Microsoft office products. To be very frank, I feel this is not a big drawback as now a days, web interface is pretty much replacing the traditional interface.

Binujaya P.
Software Engineer in Sri Lanka

The best documentation platform

5 3 years ago

Comments: This is amazing software with close to zero disadvantages. It corresponds with Jira which is great, also provides documentation, you can create pages, see notes related to a specific theme, besides pages you can create tables, images, etc. I would recommend this software to anyone who needs a program that creates documentation. Also, they are looking to improve their software by making a lot of updates.

Pros:

Confluence has a lot of advantages and here are some of them. Confluence is part of Atlassian Suite which is connected with Jira and you can easily integrate them. This software provides a documentation platform for your projects. You can create links to other pages, see other documents that are related to some specific project, also it provides you with different kind of images and charts to make your document more powerful. This software supports everything starting from images, tables, diagrams, charts, whatever you need Confluence has it. Also, another thing that is worth mentioning is that you can see if anyone has made any change to the document and if it has you will get notified.

Cons:

There are not so many disadvantages, to be honest, this is great software, maybe a bit hard for some beginners, but not too hard and you will have to spend some time on this software to know how it works. Another thing that I don’t like is that they are changing Confluence non-stop. They are doing updates most of the time and changing the software. I understand that they need to make changes for better but that can sometimes be annoying because you know something where is it and then they change it and add something else and you have to learn again.