• Overall

About Float

Resource management for agencies, studios, & firms across industries to plan projects, schedule resources, and manage their team’s time

Learn more about Float

Showing 1,152 reviews

Andrew B.
Front End Developer
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2020

"Simple and concise"

Comments: Really positive. Im not very good at organisation and having a tool that simplifies this makes my work days much easier.

Pros: As a pretty basic user of Float. It really suffices for all my needs of tracking when and which project I should be working on. The ease of planned working day to a day off is really great. Also, the functionality of simply dragging a block across the necessary days/weeks is really great!

Cons: Sometimes PM's book too many hours into the day - when on multiple projects with multiple PM's. Im not sure if they get a big red warning to say 'hey, I dont think this person wants to work a 16 hour day' but that could be helpful. Other than that, nothing to note.

Hi Andrew,

Thanks so much for your review! There is a visual indicator (in red) that shows when a team member has been booked over capacity. If you have any feedback on this, please feel free to email [email protected], we'd love to hear.

Thanks again for the review!

• Reviewed on 26/08/2020
Morgan C.
CIO
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2019

"Float, the scheduling tool that powers our team"

Comments: Float has enabled us to grow our team without much additional effort to track and report on the team allocations. It is essential for our traffic and scheduling.

Pros: We depend on float to track allocation of work across our team. This varies from tasks which take a few hours, to tasks which take multiple weeks or months. Float handles all this, enabling us to see which of our team need work, and how we can juggle or reschedule work when things change.

Cons: We do have duplication between team members' Google calendars and float, and have tried to resolve this by automating a synchronisation - but the calendars will always have more detail than Float so we are living with this duality.

Freya L.
Training Lead
Information Technology & Services, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/07/2020

"More than just scheduling"

Comments: Analysing data and productive hours is made simple with Float. It also allows visibility for stakeholders who needs it.

Pros: In just a few clicks, a year (or a few years) of schedule becomes data which can be easily utilised for future planning, be it human resource or project scope.

Cons: Scheduling takes a few steps, from creating project templates, to duplicating them and renaming them before scheduling them in.

• Reviewed on 30/07/2020
Ivan H.
Graphic Designer
Marketing & Advertising, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/02/2021

"Honestly very pleased with your product!"

Comments: Excellent.

Pros: I love the modern-looking UI and simple design, which makes our messy every day schedules seem more organized. As a graphic designer myself, I realy appreciate a good looking system. But overall it's super simple to use, simple to navigate and it reduces my time of checking and making a schedule from 30mins to something like 5-10.

Cons: Honestly nothing just yet, been using it for months alraedy and I'm perfectly happy!

Theresa L.
Architectural job captain
Architecture & Planning, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/02/2020

"Daily user"

Comments: Easy to schedule people for daily tasks and coordinate projects

Pros: Easy to navigate add and remove and replace items

Cons: There really isn't anything I don't like

• Reviewed on 12/02/2020
Viviam A.
COO
Research, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/08/2019

"Good project dashboard"

Pros: To see all my team tasks
To see all my projects at the same time

Cons: Can not edit project from "project" tab.
Can not have a timeSheet for my team.
Can not have a gantt to projects.

Alternatives Considered: Mavenlink

Reasons for Choosing Float: Because we need an administration/budget feautures.

Switched From: Mavenlink

Reasons for Switching to Float: Yes, because the cost.

• Reviewed on 01/08/2019
Bryan T.
A/V Field Technician

"Quick and Easy!"

Comments: It's still quick and easy even with its very few flaws. my coworkers and I are all scattered around the country so its nice to be able to quickly look at an upcoming job then find out who is on it with me without having to call them all and find out who I'm working with!

Pros: I've only been using it for about 6 months but I love how clean and to the point it is. I find my name and find out what my duties are for that day. I travel a lot so its really nice to be able to look at a week and see where in the country I may be. It allows me to start planning my travel and some sightseeing with plenty of time to spare so that once the time comes, I just get on a plane and go to work!

Cons: There's no Android app. That's a big turn off but I manage. I'd really appreciate this functionality in the future. I'm not sure if its just me but when I log in on my computer, each area takes up the whole screen. its quite strange. I have to scroll to the next person even though they should be smaller boxes. on my phone they are almost too squished to read and I haven't found a way manually size the boxes.

Matthias B.
Co-founder & CEO
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2019

"First impressions after a couple of weeks"

Comments: Float works as expected but has a couple of UI glitches. It's a bit hard to get real overview as soon as you have more than ~5 people or want to get a long-term view. The tool has a lot of potential and definitely works better than an Excel sheet ;-)

Pros: It allows for very transparent capacity planning within the company. Every employee can see their own and co-workers schedule in advance and make changes to it. Also it forces project managers to do capacity planning since this is our “single source of truth” for planned work. We also like the focus of Float to solve only one business problem.

Cons: There are a couple of things that we discovered in the past weeks: - Milestone tooltips are buggy – they sometimes don't disappear
- Horizontal scrolling with a classic mouse does not work as expected (SHIFT + scroll)
- It would be nice to have an iCal address for team members to see all “time off” entries in Google Calendar or other calendar apps
- Working with recurring tasks is a real pain (Rescheduling within weeks, splitting etc.). We chose to not use this feature alltogether.
- It would be nice to have a sync with GitLab to be able to select GitLab issues instead of defining “tasks” in Float all over again.
- It would be nice to automatically sync “time off” and G Suite's “Out of office” functionality
- Due to the horizontal view it's quite difficult to get a long-term view of capacity. It's only great for short-term (~1 month) planning.

Michael W.
Head of Development
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2020

"Finally, the tool we'd been looking for"

Pros: The simplicity of the platform, it's so easy to drag, drop and view all of the company's assigned tasks as a very quick glance. The ability to be able to switch to project view (vs just people) is great too.

Cons: Early on when we started with the platform some of the usability was cumbersome & slow. However, it's changed a lot since, and is a very smooth platform now. I think one of the things I'd like most is the ability to add notes alongside milestones so that we can put notes in about what that milestone includes.

Alternatives Considered: Microsoft Excel

Reasons for Switching to Float: Simplicity, and cloud based like our other business tools are.

Alice T.
Project manager
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2019

"Float Review - Digital Agency"

Pros: I love how simple the interface is. Everything is clear and on one page, useful reports, labels and additional features such as tentitive work or team views make resourcing much easier. I really like using this tool, I use it everyday at my work. It is easy to manage the pipeline and resolve clashes easily.

Cons: I love how simple the interface is. Everything is clear and on one page, useful reports, labels and additional features such as tentitive work or team views make resourcing much easier. I really like using this tool, I use it everyday at my work. It is easy to manage the pipeline and resolve clashes easily. It works well for a lower amount of people. As the buisness grows it is more effort to maintain. However for companies with less than 100 people this is a great solution. One negative is they removed the alt click drag to copy fundtion which I really found useful. Genreally it is a great tool!

Marketing & Comms
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/08/2020

"Great tool for roadmapping personal/team schedules"

Comments: It has definitely been a step in the right direction for our business using float and has a better visual to some alternatives such as monday.com.

Pros: It is easy to see what myself and my colleagues have got scheduled to help make sure that resources are managed effectively.

Cons: There is not much integration with other applications that we use which means at the moment it is a stand alone product that we use in our business. If there was more integration then we would be able to utilise the functionality more effectively.

Hi,

Thanks for your review! You can check out Floats direct integrations, including a Slack notification app, on our website here, https://www.float.com/integrations.

We welcome hearing any other integration requests you have. Please email [email protected]

• Reviewed on 17/08/2020
Gordon w H.
Digital Project Manager
Design, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2019

"A great solution for a small team with room to grow"

Comments: Not having to rely on tools that weren't built for this purpose to achieve the desired output is fantastic. Excel is for numbers and spreadsheets, not managing project.

Pros: I love that this is an affordable, web-based, easy to configure and use tool that is extremely flexible. There's a lot of power in only asking for as much information as is needed in order to be useful. It's a great visual way to manage projects and people and to get a sense of how people's workload is at any given moment. As an end user, it's great to be able to see how my week is looking at the start so that anything that comes up can be managed and it's a burden to try and juggle it all.

Cons: Float very much purpose-built to schedule work, but there are a number of features that are present in more project-focused solutions which are lacking-- namely time tracking and dependencies. However, adding some of these features might sacrifice that which makes Float great at what it does, simplicity.

Hollie C.
Client Service Director
Computer & Network Security, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2020

"User-friendly, with a few interesting quirks!"

Comments: Float allows us to better plan our week / month as teams, and gives us better visibility over time spent on projects.

Pros: As a company we've just moved to this from Trello as we needed time logging projects. So far this has been really useful, and we're getting a much clearer picture against the budget of a project.
The scheduling side is something we're really valuing too, integrating this into Slack means we can see the work we've been scheduled on, how much time we've got booked in for it, and plan our days more easily.

Cons: Tasks- we have set this up to be a bit more like Trello for us- but because of that we miss the checklists functionality of Trello, particularly as we could organise sets of tasks for a project using a checklist. We use tasks in place of this, but these will only list alphabetically. If we number them, we can go up to 10 before the logic fails and adding '11' means the list goes 1, 11, 3, 4, 5.... and so on!

• Reviewed on 29/07/2020
Marco F.
Administration, Finance and Control Plant Manager
Pharmaceuticals, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/07/2019

"Unbeatable task and team manager"

Pros: Easy, Easy, Easy! Uncluttered and extremely intuitive user interface. Basically no learning curve, even for unexperienced users. Despite its clean and tidy interface, Float is still ideal for enterprise use. It sports a very powerful team manager platform, perfect to assign and follow tasks, instantly spreading any update with team members. Automatic reports allow to keep under control time consumption.

Cons: Float run in cloud, there's no possibility to implement a self hosted solution.

Alternatives Considered: Zoho Projects

Reasons for Switching to Float: User interface cleaner and easier.

• Reviewed on 30/07/2019
Oliver S.
COO
  • Reviewed on 24/08/2020

"Best Scheduling Tool on the market"

Comments: It's fantastic to use :)

Pros: So I hardly ever write Reviews, and even less on software - but Float is an exception.
This tool really change the way our Agency works, especially in times of 100% home-office.
It's amazingly simple to use, has a great overview of your team's schedule, and makes forecasting and reporting extremely easy.
I'd give this tool 12 points if I could!

Cons: There are a few minor glitches - but the customer service team including the devs are very helpful!

Alternatives Considered: Google Sheets

Reasons for Switching to Float: It supports the resource management in the most perfect way

• Reviewed on 24/08/2020
Ky A.
Creative Director
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/08/2020

"Best Visual Project Management Tool I've Found"

Comments: It has allowed us to essentially self-manage projects without having to have a dedicated PM on staff.

Pros: We love the ease of use of Float to visualize our team's schedule. It allows us to quickly see how our people are resourced and make adjustments on the fly with the draggable task blocks. It was extremely easy to set-up and implement with our team and projects–no tutorial or laborious how-to required!

Cons: We use the basic features for an easy workflow overview so it covers all the features we would need.

Alternatives Considered: Asana

Reasons for Switching to Float: Price, ease of use and set-up, simplicity and visually-focused interface

• Reviewed on 13/08/2020
Guillaume B.
Product Owner
Internet, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/08/2020

"Long terme planning tool"

Comments: Always have a good view on my team's future.

Pros: In a blink of an eye, I can see who's busy on what, and for how long. It let me give a clear idea of planning for upcoming projects, see who's available for it and who's on holiday. Also, it let me check if we take too long to finish a project or not (by setting up a budget forecast).

Cons: It would be good to integrate other tools like Yadera or Monday.com. Also, I'd like to have an easier view on days split into different tasks (one per day is really clear, but as soon as you have 2-4 tasks a day, it's harder to read).

Sara D.
Partner + Brand Strategy
Design, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2019

"Finally -- time management that works for project managers and visual designers"

Comments: We needed a way to easily plan and then communicate on our respective tasks for the week. With Basecamp (what we use for project management currently), we could pull to-do lists, but we didn't have a macro view on the week or the month with the time that it would take to complete those tasks. My designer felt like he couldn't really "'visualize" his week and couldn't communicate easily what tasks were taking more or less time than needed. Float has proved to be invaluable for time management and communication.

Pros: I like that I (as a project manager) can manage time easily for our team of two, but can easily add contract workers, and that visually it works for my designer as well -- he struggled with really seeing how his week needed to flow when just using tasklists, like Basecamp.

Cons: Anything I haven't liked has been added (e.g. ability to do recurring tasks, reordering tasks). It's a small thing, but we also spend way too much time trying to figure out colors for all of our projects after using the default ones. I would love to be able to add a project from the schedule interface -- like when I go to schedule time and I type in a project, it tries to find it; if it's not there, it would be nice to just have "add this project" without having to exit out of the scheduling box and go into Project.

Heather M.
Senior Creative Project Planner
  • Reviewed on 22/01/2019

"Multi disciplinary studio management"

Comments: Currently managing a team of 9 designers in a multi disciplinary team with 30+ different jobs daily. Tool has worked perfectly well for top line management of workflow and constant changing priorities. Visually easy to understand. Since the recent update the software has performed so much better then expected and has made a massive difference to usability.

Pros: The simple usability of the software. How quick it is to add jobs, extend and move jobs around to different people. Flexible scrolling through the weeks. So easy to set someone up and get started with very minimal training. Report system very useful for monthly reports. For top line project management this is the perfect tool.

Cons: The search bar sometimes doesnt work or show particular jobs on occasion. Search seems to only work within the month you are viewing, rather then showing a job from a previous month. This is intermittent and sometimes works to find what you are looking for when refreshed. Still need to test this after the software update to see if it has been resolved. Doesn't refresh for designers, so we have updated and moved jobs around and they aren't aware as their float has remained the same, unless they manually refresh the window. Would be great to see more in depth project management potential, such as uploading briefs, designs and signing them off all on this software.

• Reviewed on 22/01/2019
Aidan D.
Chief Product Officer
  • Reviewed on 26/01/2019

"Beautifully simple and easy to use"

Comments: Float is a product I like using, and I wish some of its features and UX elements were in the other software that I use! We use Synergist for job and project management, but Float for scheduling because it UX is so much better than Synergist's scheduler tool.

Pros: Float's user interface and logic are inspirational. They have made the activity of coordinating multiple resources on multiple projects about as easy as it can be. They have paid a lot of attention to usability, efficient use of screen real estate and simple navigation. However the killer feature is the intuitive yet clever way that searching and data navigation work. All searching and filtering is done using a single search field, which offers indexed word search on pretty much everything including tags. There is also a well-worked out protocol for handling union and intersect searches.

Cons: The only real bugbear is that any user that can enter data into the system can define new values for any field. It isn't possible to centrally control lists such as task names, clients, job descriptions etc. This means that if you have more than one person using the system, very quickly you get different versions of the same thing being defined (e.g. job roles being slightly different) which makes it difficult to analyse across records. Not a dealbreaker, but I do think it should be possible to lock down lists of values. Also it would be good if you could zoom out the view a little more - if you're dealing with more than a dozen resources/projects.

• Reviewed on 26/01/2019
Ben K.
Project Delivery Lead
  • Reviewed on 05/08/2020

"Simple and powerful resource management tool to manage team workload"

Comments: We really love Float and it’s been a game changer in effectively managing our resources across projects. We now have a clear view on our resource pipeline and it’s allowed project managers to better utilise team based on availability and make more informed hiring decisions.

Pros: Easy to setup and use without any training required. Clean interface that makes it easy to view and update resources assigned to projects. Love the ability to easily drag to extend duration of tasks assigned.

Cons: Would be great if there was a better integration with our timesheet tool (Xero) to populate timesheets automatically based on plan in Float.

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your review! I've passed your Xero integration request to our team.

I also wanted to let you know that we do have a time tracking add-on in Float that pre-fills your team's timesheets based on the work schedule. You can find out how it works here, https://www.float.com/how-it-works/time-tracking.

All Float users can try time tracking free for 30 days. The Account Owner needs to activate this from the Team Settings in Float.

If you want a demo of how it works, or have any questions, please feel free to email us at [email protected]

Thanks again for the review!

• Reviewed on 05/08/2020
Christian D.
Scheduling & Material Manager
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees

"Float Review"

Comments: We used to use a HUGE white board and dry erase markers for our schedule. We thought that this was the best way for us to tackle our job scheduling and Float was met with a bit of resistance once the boss said we were going to try it.
WOW, were we wrong. I would never look back now that we are using Float. One of the best tools we ever used. We are scheduling anywhere from 18 to 26 techs on this program and I fully encourage anyone even thinking of possibly trying out a program for scheduling to do your self a favor and try out Float. I'd be shocked if your not impressed by it.

Pros: Kudos to you guys! I love the newer faster Float! You are making my job much easier & faster. Love the faster navigating/scrolling and the changing of a task’s time by scrolling on the schedule up or down beats the hell out of having to open the task and do it from there.
Love the new feature that you can hover over the work task and the notes appear without having to open the task.
Great job, keep it up!

Cons: Would like to be able to move a task to the afternoon (or lower in the cell) for a day where it is not a full days worth of hours and there is nothing else for that employee that day. Example, I have a technician on a 4 hour training course and it is in the afternoon. He has nothing else scheduled that day but I can't move the task lower in the cell so it looks like it is scheduled for the morning. It would be nice if you could hover over the "Time off" cells and see the notes associated with it , like you can for a work task, without having to open the "time off" cell.

Rawiri H.
Consultant
  • Reviewed on 18/08/2020

"How Float works for us"

Comments: After using the Trial, we found the best way to apply it to our business and implemented quickly for Live usage. We have been using Float daily since and it has been successful in providing a complete overview of staff workload and availability. It provides clarity for future scheduling.

Pros: * Provides an overview of scheduled work and staff availability for forecasting and scheduling
* Ability to assign consultants to specific projects, while also assigning individual tasks.
* Minimal duplication of work as the system maintains the lifetime of the projects
* Ability to link to Jira tasks
* Easy to schedule timeframes
* Can view based on teams or individuals

Cons: Not a lot we didn't like, but it would be great to have;
* Task breakdowns
* Two way Jira linking (Currently only from Jira)
* Pull more data from Jira (Timeframes etc)

Alternatives Considered: Todoist and Trello

Reasons for Choosing Float: It didn't provide an overview of staff availability for forecasting purposes

Reasons for Switching to Float: It covered some of the basic features of Asana but providing an overview of staff available and scheduled work, which was a higher priority for us.

• Reviewed on 18/08/2020
Joel A.
Creative Director
Design, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 18/02/2021

"A good project management tool for small teams"

Comments: Very good experience overall, would recommend.

Pros: The timeline view is very simple to use, it allows me to get a quick overview of the team load.

Cons: It's harder to cut a project into smaller chunks.

by Float on 16/03/2021

Hi Joel,

Thanks so much for your review! We recently launched a new 'Project Phases' feature which lets you break down bigger projects into smaller parts, "chunks". You can read more about how it works in our Support Center here, https://support.float.com/en/articles/4787660-project-phases.

Thanks again for the feedback and please reach out if you need any assistance!

Siobhan @ Float

• Reviewed on 18/02/2021
Schirka P.
Strategy Planning
  • Reviewed on 17/02/2021

"Very intuitive and easy to use"

Comments: Overall I love the platform and ease of use

Pros: Setting up projects is very easy. Training the team was a breeze and once set up, the UX is so intuitive that everyone is using it like they've been on Float for years. Drag and drop functionality for the scheduler is very useful to. Great took to see who's doing what at a glance.

Cons: Not sure if it integrates with Asana, we use both but I believe we use them independently from each other. Putting hours on one and reflecting on the other would be amazing