• Overall

About Edsby

Edsby is an award-winning next generation K-12 LMS built for the unique needs of K-12 schools, states/provinces and countries.

Learn more about Edsby

Product Rating

Product Rating

Usage

Sort by

Have you used Edsby before?

Jeanne W.
Admin in Canada

Edsby Communication Tool

5 last year

Comments: Daily use of Edsby is cohesive and timely. The staff at Edsby are always there to help.

Pros:

Edsby offers a very successful communication tool to schools. Edsby links, Administrators, Teachers, Students and Parents with day to day knowledge of the academic and personal progress of students.

Cons:

With COVID 19 is would be great if Edsby could integrate Edusafe Screening with their program.

Alternatives Considered: Blackbaud Raiser's Edge NXT

Reasons for Switching to Edsby: pricing

last year

Thanks, Jeanne. Appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions of Edsby. We're looking at how to best capture medical screening data. Watching for data standards to solidify.

Cristina B.
E-Learning, 10,000+ Employees

Edsby Feedback

4 3 years ago

Comments: Overall I would continue to use edsby in hope that it becomes less glitchy through final stages of piloting of new features, however I would not recommend its use to staff members who are not digitally strong or for staff members who have special education students as it is currently difficult to incorporate many students into the platform. For some teachers, there is a larger amount of patience, unreliability, and problems at this point.

Pros:

I appreciate the interconnectedness of all features and the flexibility of features. The features strongly support teaching practices through Ministry outlined documents such as "Growing Success". The Classroom (Parent & Students), and gradebook are very powerful features. The team is quick to apply feedback to make improvements to workflow and many time-saving features. Edsby offers the ability to collect qualitative data and process it quickly and easily in a manner that students, teachers and parents can understand. The capacity of the calendars and classroom river feeds far surpass many other platforms currently available. Students can have access to a modern classroom and new ways of learning that will support their learning immediately and in the real world.

Cons:

The software often has bugs, and difficulty running some scripts. The platform sometimes creates redundancies through teachers and students. The number of redundancies sometimes make it difficult(slow) to use the platform efficiently. Ex. The form to adjust staff assignments and student assignments cannot be edited by admin since it can only be opened to all schools. Staff have access to more student records and other staff records that they should not. Looking forward to a sufficient solution to this problem and more consideration for classrooms that have different structures (ex. Special Education, students with modified schedules or schedules that are continuing to change).

3 years ago

Thanks for the candid feedback. Researching your issues, I learned Edsby had some problems at your district -- YRDSB, 123,000 students on Edsby at 200 schools! -- the first few months of this school year (2018-2019) but we're confident we've solved many of them. Re: staff access to student panoramas in some cases (such as in groups), we're looking at making all of these cases customer-configurable. Many private school customers demand Edsby give teachers access to all information on every student in their school, everywhere, but some public districts want more restrictive policies. Making this work exactly the way each customer wants it is something we're committed to. It just takes engineering time and prioritization with everything else desired in Edsby. Look for improvements an upcoming release. Thanks for taking the time to write.

Lesley A.
Teacher in Canada

Edsby is great - there are tons of great features and it's user-friendly.

4 4 years ago

Comments: Online test option, seating plan, calendar function, student and parent communication, attaching files/assignments for absent students, due dates, etc.

Pros:

I like the fact that I can communicate with students and parents in terms of due dates, test dates, missed work (I post what I do in class everyday and attach any assignments), as well as progress in the course (missing assignments, marked assignments, etc.).

Cons:

I don't like how I can't enter multiple mark sets at time. I also wish there were attendance sheets with dates at the top (not the blank mark sheets). I also wish we could make our own names for what goes in the mark bucket (the drop-down list is good, but I wish I could choose the names of some of my items - example: "Fitness" for phys ed class). I wish there was a save function for report carding because I've had it happen where I've lost my internet connection and therefore, lost my recent comments for students.

Claudia D.
teacher in Canada
Education Management

I use Edsby every day and find it suits my needs as teacher.

5 4 years ago

Pros:

It has everything in one: class lists, marking, calculating, parent communication, groups for student communication, at a glance information.

Cons:

I kept may marks on Edsby and had a student move away out of province. His profile immediately disappeared. When there were questions and issues about his marks from the new school, I was unable to provide history. When I wrote for support, I received no response.

4 years ago

Sorry to hear of the poor experience you received from Edsby support. In the future, we invite you to contact us with questions like this directly from Edsby itself by clicking the question mark at the bottom right of any Edsby page (only teachers see this.) That's a direct hotline to our support staff. Hope we can make your next interaction with us a better one. Thanks for using Edsby!

Todd K.
IT Admin and Communications Technology Teacher in Canada

Simplified the management of our school data from several programs to one; Edsby!

5 4 years ago

Pros:

As the School IT Admin, Edsby takes care of many details that I do not have to. This frees me to deal with local on-site concerns. As a teacher, I absolutely love the Gradebook, the Classroom Journal, and the Library. These features allow me to have all of my materials in one place. I can go online just about anywhere and access my work. The journal also allows students to stay up-to-date if they are away, and they can have access to any work that was covered that day.

Cons:

As a teacher, I really appreciate integration of student work and the Gradebook. Unfortunately, I have had too many experiences when students are unable to submit their work from their Google Drive.

Farrell R.
Science Teacher/Dept Chair in US

Edsby For Middle School

4 last year

Comments: Great for Online

Pros:

VERY Student Friendly. Kids can easily navigate and find work

Cons:

I wish the weighting of assignments and not just the points that could be scored.

Frances P.
administrative assistant in Canada
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

easy to use

4 4 years ago

Comments: Easily accessible information by teachers, students and parents.

Pros:

The program is visual and easy to use. There is an APP so students have easy access to information AND less paper is required eg. homework handouts, timetables. etc. The parents can easily access their child's school information (attendance, marks, etc.)

Cons:

One can't do a search within the posts in a group Information doesn't always sync correctly from our main database.

4 years ago

Frances, you can indeed search inside an Edsby group or class. Enter the group or class, and type what you're searching for in the box at the top of the page in the main nav bar. It will search through all the posts in that area first and then the rest of Edsby.

Marlene B.
Director of Communications in Canada
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

Edsby helps our private school build community

5 5 years ago

Comments: In addition to being a very useful learning management tool, Edsby helps members of our school community keep in touch with one another and celebrate each other's successes. It has become the communication tool of choice for students, parents and teachers. There are some added features we would like to see, and we hope to partner with Edsby to make it even more functional. Edsby tech support is responsive to my teaching colleagues' questions, and Edsby has introduced innovations in response to their requests.

Pros:

Good features, mostly intuitive and easy to use. Mostly timely and responsive customer service. -- although they may have set the bar pretty high. :-)

Cons:

I would like a bit more flexibility to customize to meet a specific community need.

Danielle A.
Administrative Assistant in Canada

Excellent way to communicate

4 4 years ago

Pros:

I like that parents have the ability to be as involved as they want in what is happening at their child's school. It is easy to use, from an administrative perspective, and also from a parent perspective. Students have the ability to stay up to date on all their work, even if they are away. They are able to communicate with their teachers and the administrators of their school.

Cons:

I had a few issues with the classes not having room numbers last year, but that was quickly resolved! As of this moment, there isn't anything I would change.

Sharon L.
IB Biology Teacher in
Primary/Secondary Education, 10,000+ Employees

Makes it possible to manage your course and communicate with students and parents easily.

4 5 years ago

Comments: It would be nice to be able to send messages to selected groups of students within a class. Currently I can only post a message to the entire class on the home page, or send individual email messages to students or families.

Pros:

Available online and as an app - very portable. Prompt customer support. Email notification when someone has sent a message.

Cons:

Grade calculations are sometimes wonky, particularly at the beginning of the marking period. Messages are forwarded to email, but cannot be answered from there.

Jessica P.
Receptionist in Canada
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

Excellent tool for communicating in one location

5 4 years ago

Comments: No more logging into different applications for different things. News, coursework, attendance, school events and important dates - all right here in one place. And no excuses that information was lost or couldn't be accessed.

Pros:

I love that teachers, students, parents, and school staff can easily get updates from school administration, check attendance, see grades and course material, all in one place. The user interface is very intuitive, and a great way to disseminate news. It's also a great place for teachers to upload assignments and course material - and the students can access it from anywhere!

Cons:

Students want to know how many community involvement hours they have, and Edsby has no means of tracking and communicating this.

Aaron S.
Head of Science in Canada

I've been using Edsby for 3yrs now and I find it far better than EdLine or BlackBoard

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Communication. With parents, students, collegues and clubs. Having a central hub for communication has been amazing.

Cons:

I would like the gradebook to be more transparent and have a bit more functionallity wrt weighting. Also, it can be a little frustrating uploading images, and the library doesn't give enough information about the files I've stored in it.

David F.
IT Admin in Canada
Education Management, 501-1,000 Employees

Support staff is Friendly and Knowledgeable

5 4 years ago

Comments: Knowing that parents can view their child's progress realtime. This reduces the costs of time and resources of the front office staff of looking up the student's data / progress and keeping paper copies of records for years beyond.

Pros:

The fact parents can see their children's grades realtime, while the data is safe and secure. Simplicity of use, and a shallow navigation learning curve.

Cons:

Just a thought: having your own or preferred backend for the data for schools starting to work with Edsby for the first time.

Robert A.
Teacher in US

Great! It helps keep everything up to date!

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Posting lessons, handouts, worksheets...everything. When students are absent, they are still receiving all the material and they know where to find it.

Cons:

Not a lot of cons. It does so much but one has to take the time to learn and figure it out. It can be a huge time saver.

Stuart R.
Teacher in Canada

Edsby has been a great communication tool. I am able to keep both parents and students informed.

4 4 years ago

Pros:

The communication tools it provides so that I can keep parents and students up to date with class activities and assignment due dates.

Cons:

It does not work well as an on-line classroom tool. Uploading files is not always reliable. Students have issues accessing reaoirces at home.

Rachel P.
Director of Students Services in Canada

Love the interface and interactive features.

4 4 years ago

Pros:

Quick, easy communications with students and parents. Its. great hub for activities and classes for students.

Cons:

Posting options seems archaic, (can't edit or customize messages with colour, bold, etc.). Group pages have limited options for posting information; the knowledge section and library aren't very attratcive or obvious where students would find info that is posted (links, documents, etc.)

Loraine C.
Technical Support / Edsby SuperUser in US
Used the Software for: Not provided

Edsby is key ingredient in the recipe for educational success.

5 7 years ago

Comments: Introducing new technology to 15,500 teachers and over 200,000 students is not an easy task. Edsby has accomplished this amazing feat with incredible results! Students no longer have any excuses for missing assignments, notes, and handouts and not knowing what their grade is. All of the information is posted on Edsby. Contacting a teacher for simple questions is now easy and not intimidating. Parents have their own Edsby account where they can monitor all of their children in different schools and easily contact teachers. The mobile option is used extensively by parents and students alike. Edsby has made students, and their parents, responsible for their educational success.
Even the most non-technical teachers have accepted Edsby. Edsby trained several teachers at our school to assist with gradebook specific questions. Teachers feel comfortable asking their peers for assistance. The gradebook is flexible, intuitive and user friendly.
Edsby implementation wasn't without its hiccups. Most of the issues were related to the incredible volume of traffic experienced during the last days of the grading periods when everyone was updating their gradebooks and checking their grades. Edsby support worked around the clock to fix the issues. Edsby has implemented many changes suggested by teachers and administrators. As our second year with Edsby draws to a close, Edsby has become an integral part of our school.

Julie G.
Head of Health and Physical Education Department in Canada

Has changed the way we communicate in a positive way.

5 4 years ago

Pros:

Easy to use and allows us to keep every bit of information in one space. Everything from student observations, to communication with parents, to team photos.

Cons:

I'm not able to delete old messages in my Messages box.

Eli B.
Education Management, 11-50 Employees

Overall well worth it...There have been some bumps along the way.

4 4 years ago

Comments: Communication with students

Pros:

Potential! There is lots still changing and getting better. Could be really amazing. Secure but private communication with students. All in one place environment.

Director of Human Resources in US
51-200 Employees

Great application

5 4 years ago

Pros:

It helps a lot and helps keep up with grades and is very useful. I would consider it because it doesn't stop working it is fast just remember your user name and password and your grades will pop up

Cons:

My only complaint is it works only in portrait mode which is tedious but aggravating. I wish this could be fixed

Stephanie J.
educator in US
Education Management, 51-200 Employees

easy access for students and friendly interface

5 4 years ago

Comments: Quick results to see if students turned in assignments. The ability to communicate and message students when they need help.

Pros:

I like having the ability to give my students easy access to documents. I also like the ability to control student and parent access.

Cons:

There are very few cons, but one thing I find frustrating is access my student documents once they submit. It is fairly time consuming, especially if you have a slow server.

Nadine D.
Music Teacher in Canada

This program has been a great help to me! Easy to learn and the constant support is amazing!

4 4 years ago

Comments: Constant feedback for students.

Pros:

I love how it easy it is to assess students as class progresses! All the information in one place is amazing!

Cons:

I wish there was a check list function where I can select several students for the same observation. OR if I could create a check list of students achieving the same expectation instead of selecting individual students.

Primary/Secondary Education, 51-200 Employees

Edsby

4 3 years ago

Comments: Overall, Edsby keeps students and parents up to date and accountable for homwork and grades, and helps foster a stronger home-school connection.

Pros:

Edsby allows information to be available from one dashboard across various platforms (app, browser). Parents can message teachers directly. It keeps students and parents informed about what is going on in their classrooms. Gradebook and report card functions.

Cons:

Software can run slow at times, but that doesn't take away from the capabilities.

3 years ago

You said you're seeing slow performance at times in Edsby? We take performance seriously and are interested in where and when you're seeing issues. If you'd like to share specifics, pls. email them to [email protected] Thanks for your review!

Paola D.
Higher Education, 501-1,000 Employees

great tool

5 3 years ago

Pros:

I love the ease of use. I am using Gradebook, Evidence and much more.

Cons:

not enough time to become an expert at all the features

Amanda B.
Higher Education, 11-50 Employees

Edsby is a decent program.

4 last year

Comments: Edsby would work great if they could fix all the kinks. The concept is wonderful if it could be executed correctly. It did the job for a few months but we had to change programs to save both teachers and parents sanity.

Pros:

What I liked most about Edsby is how easy it was to navigate. Most of the assignments were in one place and was easy to tell the students were to go.

Cons:

What I liked least was how often the site would crash. It was very hard to use because it loaded when it wanted to. We were having lots of issues with it loading in a certain time frame when it finally decided to work.