Rentec Direct Reviews

• Overall
    4.6 /5
    4.7 /5

About Rentec Direct

Property management software for private landlords and professional managers with 10 - 5,000 properties. Free 14-day trial.

Learn more about Rentec Direct

Jason H.
  • Reviewed on 06/07/2016

"I love their customer support!"

Comments: I've been a client of Rentec for almost 4 years and what stands out about them to me is their extremely helpful customer support. Special kudos to both Kathryn and Kevin who have helped me accomplish everything I need using their software. Whether I call or email, it seems like I get answers right away. Aside from the software being super easy to learn, I've really enjoyed all the features they've added over the years. It seems like every time I login there's something being improved.

Pros: The software is easy to learn for both me and my assistant. We were able to get up and running using the software in days, and that included bringing in all our data. The staff at Rentec was also tremendously helpful in getting it all imported.

Cons: The video training material is a bit dated, but still useful.

• Reviewed on 06/07/2016
Courtney H.
  • Reviewed on 19/04/2019

"Awesome help"

Pros: This software is very easy to use, and it offers all that I need to make managing our properties easy. The customer service and tech support is amazing. The support team has been very helpful several times in guiding me through some of the technical aspects of the software that have made things run more efficiently for our daily flow. I felt very capable of using this software after having the training provided over the phone.

Cons: There are a couple of things that I would like to see Rentec Direct offer in the future. However, I love how it has a suggestion area which lets me know that some improvements or upgrades are in the works or are being considered.

by Rentec Direct on 29/04/2019

Thank you, Courtney! We are grateful for your business and happy to hear you're still feeling & sharing the Rentec love after being part of the family for over a year. Stand by for some great feature releases happening this year!

• Reviewed on 19/04/2019
Rachael F.
Commercial Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/11/2016

"We have outgrown Rentec"

Comments: We have been using Rentec for over 5 years. We have over 600 units on Rentec, both multifamily and retail. We started out as a small company and now have about 30 employees. I was a huge, avid fan of this software when we were smaller, but the lack of controls as we have grown larger now outweigh the positives. There is a very limited amount of control for user access. Basically a user has access to everything or read only access. It is very difficult to control process and data integrity throughout a larger organization. If you are a smaller company starting out, this software is fantastic. If you have more than 5 or 6 people in your data, you can't control the data quality because everyone has access to everything. No way to lock anything down, or create user levels of access. I have been asking Rentec for this change for over 2 years. We are now shopping for different software.

Pros: Great functionality for smaller companies and number of rental units (4 or fewer employees)
Easy to use to get the basics started

Cons: If you plan on growing past 5 employees, consider something else. Not enough controls for various employee access/restriction to appropriate data/pages. Customer service used to be great, has slowed considerably in the last 2 years. The company has gotten a lot larger, and thus don't listen as well as they used to. Make sure that the software meets your current (and future) needs. Don't expect major changes. Small rollouts of capabilities do continue to happen.

• Reviewed on 01/11/2016
Gregory H.
  • Reviewed on 18/06/2017

"Rentech mostly behaves the way you would expect the software to behave and is functional."

Comments: Ease of use and I went through my first accounting review with the results

Pros: It was relatively easy to learn and behave the way you expected it to. It was easy to find the controls for changing what little you could change in the functionality.
The reports are what you expect them to be, income/expense, income, expense.
The rent-roll was reasonable.
Everything is exportable.
The bank accounts acted like bank accounts and were thus easy to understand.
Entering the data didn't take an excessive number of steps

Cons: Going from one screen to another sometimes took an excessive amount of time. Some archiving of data locally to the users browser would probably enhance the user experience significantly.
Use of an input worksheet for income and expenses would make these tasks much more effective and efficient.

• Reviewed on 18/06/2017
January S.
Partner
  • Reviewed on 21/04/2020

"Amazing Software Package"

Comments: We just recently selected Rentec Direct for our rental company management software selection. Rentec has been wonderful to work with from the initial point of contact regarding software questions prior to our subscription and as we continued to move forward with the set up and use of the software. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] with Rentec has been very prompt to reply and provided very informative assistance and training so that we can begin use of the software. We initially were in search of a company that could allow us the ability to perform credit and background searches on prospective tenants. We ended up with a program that offered much more! It has the ability to assist with complete leasing management from the application stages to collections of rent, and report tracking and management features. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] has been on stand by to assist with all steps of Rentec features as we progress with our use of the software. This is our first apartment building to own and manage the leases of the property and Rentec will be an amazing asset to ensure its success.

Pros: The many features that Rentec has bundled into one package making the management of our apartment leasing streamlined and easy.
Excellent customer service and hands on training!

Cons: At this time we have no dislikes with the software.

by Rentec Direct on 27/04/2020

Great to hear your positive feedback, January! We love hearing from new clients. Just know we'll be here for you for the long haul. :)

• Reviewed on 21/04/2020
Robert L.
Broker/Owner
  • Reviewed on 16/03/2019

"Best Value and Easy To Use"

Comments: Best value for the price and easy enough for the average person to get up and running.

Pros: I love the affordability of the software and the ease of use. I also like the ability to communicate and text the tenants through the portal and track them. Another great feature is the owner portal. Ny owner absolutely loves the easy access and variety of reports available as does her accountant.

Cons: Just a little difficult in the beginning setting up and getting the ACH approved for the payment of my owners. Another drawback was that the platform does not sync with my bank management account even though it says it can. I have to manually reconcile.

by Janell on 02/04/2019

Thanks for the kind words, Robert! Related to your bank Sync issue - some banks actually require separate passwords for sync functionality, and some banks even charge a fee for that tool (Rentec does not). Possibly this is the issue? There is also another option for downloading your transactions from your bank that could speed things up for you. Click here for more information: https://support.rentecdirect.com/knowledgebase/articles/281736-bank-synchronization-download-bank-transactions

• Reviewed on 16/03/2019
Gus G.
  • Reviewed on 17/08/2018

"A boon for both my company AND my landlords. Takes some of the headaches out of a headache business."

Comments: Was fortuitous finding this program! Everyone (underscore that) is professional, courteous even friendly. Especially appreciate their executive, as she never makes me feel like a dope. Even when my question warrants it!

Pros: Clean, easy, efficient ... and forgiving. It is easy to set-up new owners, properties and tenants. And just as easy to process rents, invoices, etc.

Cons: Some of the suggestions in the knowledge base sound like good ideas. And what about a property manager portal, or app?

• Reviewed on 17/08/2018
Treva W.
  • Reviewed on 12/10/2016

"Time Saver"

Comments: I was doing everything manually before I did the trial for Rentec Direct. The simplicity was what made me fall in love with the software. I started out with 3 rentals and in three years I had 22. The reports that I ran for tax season was so helpful. I was able to file my own taxes. I would recommend this product for anyone that has two or twenty two houses.

Pros: How entries are posted to the journals immediately and I can run a new report on the spot. Nothing has to post overnight.

Cons: I don't like the format of the rent statements, I have to explain it to most of my tenants. I think that it should start off with the rent amount for the current month, then the late fee for the current month, then the past due rent as a whole not broken up. Then the balance due.
When my low to mid income renters get behind, they pay on the past due balance for a few months and pay the current rent. The option to create how the statement will show would be nice.

• Reviewed on 12/10/2016
Deb Z.
Commercial Real Estate
  • Reviewed on 01/09/2016

"Awesome Inexpensive Product"

Pros: After purchasing my second two unit, I decided I needed a program to keep track of everything and started searching online for something to use. Rentec Direct was free to use, so I tried it. It is an awesome program! I have too many units for the free program, however, I have no problem paying to use it as it is that good. What I like best is that Rentec Direct continues to make changes resulting in a better product.

Cons: My only suggestion is that under the payment type drop down window, direct deposit needs to be added.

• Reviewed on 01/09/2016
Connie B.
Managing Partner
  • Reviewed on 29/06/2017

"Great software, and service!"

Comments: I have greatly appreciated the checking in and assisting with all the additional account set up items. You guys are top notch with contact and follow up.
Professionally I've worked with large software companies like Yardi and Onesite as well as smaller groups like manage America. Rentec was my choice after reviewing and working with others. It had what I wanted and needed in a scalable platform that can grow with my portfolio.

Pros: Online payments
Online apps
Syndication of marketing
Resident/owner portal

Cons: Wished for better website templates so I didn't have to use another service. Maybe add advanced website at additional flat fee. I ended up using zoho.

• Reviewed on 29/06/2017
Scott L.
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2013

Comments: I have used the Rentech Direct Property Management system for six months now. With a small number of properties, my biggest concern was cost. This system met that criterion. Secondly, I wanted a system where my data was kept safely on a seperate computer than my laptop or desktop, and could be accessed from anywhere. Rentech met that. This product also had the additional feature of allowing tenants to book work orders and check their account status on-line in a secure manner. The third necessity was that the support side of the product be responsive and easily understood. I have been very pleased with their live help. Usually call, leave message and get contacted back all in the same day. Their on-line support could use some tweaking, however. There are several videos and written resolution on specific cases, and the training videos were helpful, but there are always issues that lie just a step or two beyond what is offered. A phone call resolves that. I am now at the end of year reporting stage and will need to go in and tweak some entries that wound up in wrong categories/accounts. I appreciate how much easier this has made my one man operation and look forward to finding even more efficiencies as I continue to use it.

• Reviewed on 16/01/2013
Paul C.
Construction
  • Reviewed on 28/09/2016

"It just works!"

Pros: Easy to navigate; fairly intuitive; has depth; can be up and running quickly; vendor is active in keeping product current and adding features; customer service dept is responsive via email.

Cons: Product seems geared more toward housing rentals than commercial rentals--I have to get creative when entering tenant info to get them to show up properly on the summary and deposit screens.

• Reviewed on 28/09/2016
Laurice M.
  • Reviewed on 03/03/2019

"Easy Peasy"

Comments: My experience has been super positive. Our management was on the money when they told us that this software would be the easiest thing to use.

Pros: I like the ease of use of the software. The set up was smooth. Very detailed instructions for each feature of the software and website. Cant beat it for the price. Not a lot of setup fees and all that stuff. The customer service is outstanding, very responsive.

Cons: The setup of automated emails and their template. I am sure its me but that's the only con I found. No round the clock customer service access.

• Reviewed on 03/03/2019
Heather D.
CPA
  • Reviewed on 23/09/2017

"Rentec Direct makes excellent software for managing properties."

Comments: Thanks!

Pros: I like the a person can change their level of use based on their needs. I was managing my own properties and using the more expensive version. Then I got a property manager and no longer need as much. I was able to downgrade without losing my data. Chances are I will be back managing my properties again it will already be set up and waiting for me.

• Reviewed on 23/09/2017
Scott W.
Landlord
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2016

"Rentec Direct- Everything That a Small Landlord Needs...And More!"

Comments: When I started out as a landlord about 2 years ago, I looked at many of the free or inexpensive property management products. I tried several of them, and there are quite a few good ones. In my opinion, Rentec Direct is the best one. I find it very easy to use and quite versatile. It seems more intuitive than some competing products. The Customer Support team responds to questions very quickly. I can generate virtually any report that my accountant needs. I can easily see how my investments are doing.

Pros: Very easy to set up and use.
Very responsive customer support team
Comprehensive

Cons: None to speak of as of yet.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2016
Melissa H.
Real Estate
    2.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 02/09/2016

"5 Stars !!"

Pros: it was easy to install and learn. Has allowed us to take on many more properties as a result of the streamlined accounting.

Cons: Great product , great vendor . Wouldn't change a thing

• Reviewed on 02/09/2016
Robert S.
Secretary/Treasurer
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2017

"New landlord needed this kind of help."

Comments: When you make changes, put it up as a splash screen for all users when they first login after you rollout the change. Have links to explain the changes.

Pros: As a new landlord this product set me on the right path in controlling all the business information.
The relationships between accounts and tenants and properties are the biggest plus.

Cons: Some screens could be laid out in a more intuitive design.
Bring the data that is common throughout the product together.

• Reviewed on 09/04/2017
Stacy B.
  • Reviewed on 14/07/2017

"Quick set up and easy to use"

Comments: Customer service is very good and the help database can answer almost all of our questions!

Pros: Quick and easy to set up and use, Tracks payments and expenses, tracks maintenance calls, and has online portals for tenants

Cons: I would be great is the tenant portal was an phone app. I think that my tenants would be more likely to pay on time with an app.

• Reviewed on 14/07/2017
Diogo O.
Financial Manager
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2017

"Good Trade-off"

Pros: The price is good and the way they charge you, according to the size of your portfolio is very reasonable.

Cons: It doesn't have a section with tasks, with fields as tasks, responsible, date and reminders that can be addressed to different homeowners and property managers. That would be very helpful.

• Reviewed on 20/04/2017
Mike C.
  • Reviewed on 10/02/2020

"Non-Existent Support"

Comments: We began using Rentec because the user interface was simplistic, but this is were it stopped. The software isn't customizable or easy to integrate into a preexisting website. When they sent an inspector out for the credit check the inspector had no idea why he was there or what for, and had to come out a second time. When notifying Rentec of cancelling and requesting an owed refund they simply ignored the 5 emails, and refused to acknowledge any emails.

Pros: The user interface
The price of the software

Cons: Customizations and lack thereof.
Customer Support
Responsiveness

by Rentec Direct on 28/02/2020

I am sorry to hear about your experience and the experience you had with the third-party site inspector you worked with for approving credit report access. This is not a typical experience for our clients. Per your request, your subscription was cancelled and you were issued a full refund. As required by the Fair Credit Reporting Act, all landlords and property managers must have a third-party site inspection in order to receive approved credit report access. It's unfortunate that the third-party inspector did not meet your expectations. We will be passing along this feedback to them in order to improve the experience for others in the future. Wishing you all the best success.

• Reviewed on 10/02/2020
Jennifer S.
Comptroller
  • Reviewed on 04/05/2018

"Great property management software"

Pros: I really like the ease of use, how it tracks everything for me, the online payment integration and the online maintenance request integration.

Cons: It was a little slow on getting the online payment integration set up, but once it was done it worked seamlessly.

Henry O.
Commercial Real Estate, 51-200 Employees

"Best industry software"

Comments: it is good

Pros: the product is best suited for property listing and property management. it is the best one can get in the market

Cons: This product has poor user interface and does not include some features like mobile apps that needs to be incorporated

Katie A.
Assistant
Commercial Real Estate, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/11/2016

"Rentec Direct has made life easier!"

Comments: Rentec Direct has helped us to stay on track of everything! Especially keeping up with rents. There are so many great features and it's very easy to use. We love it!

Pros: Keeps everything organized and running smoothly.

Cons: The website they offer looks a little dated and isn't very customizable.

• Reviewed on 10/11/2016
Ronda L.
  • Reviewed on 03/07/2018

"No descritive repots"

Pros: Rolling rent calculations are easily understood.
Putting in owner expenses is relatively easy. As well as charge backs to the tenants.

Cons: Owner reports are not descriptive enough. Online portal takes too long to process and receive funds into our account.

• Reviewed on 03/07/2018
Brett H.
Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 31/01/2017

"Nice, simple property management program"

Comments: We have about 25 rental properties and flip 5-7 properties per year. The software has been easy to work with and allows us to view our information from practically anywhere.

Pros: Ease of use and price.

Cons: The reoccurring transactions can be a bit tricky.

• Reviewed on 31/01/2017