Rentec Direct Reviews

by Rentec Direct

Filter by:

• Overall

About Rentec Direct

Property management software for private landlords and professional managers with 10 - 5,000 properties. Free 14-day trial.

Learn more about Rentec Direct

Michael K.
  • Reviewed on 26/04/2019

"Come for the website capabilities, stay for the value"

Pros: I switched to this software from another, $10/month cheaper software. Rentec's software is really easy to use. You don't need accounting or business knowledge to operate this software. It is really easy to use. I switched to Rentec so I could have my listings automatically populate on my website (tired of manually entering them on website by Wix). Tenants can also apply electronically from website, and log in to view their tenant or owners portal. The features for the tenants are quite nice, and make my company look professional and modern. The accounting features are great, and paying property owners is a breeze. I had little accounting knowledge when I migrated to this property, and everything makes sense. The auto syndication features are amazing, straight to Zillow and its affiliates overnight.

Cons: I have to be honest, I'm complaining about a free feature, but my least favorite part of the software is the website in which I migrated to Rentec for. If I try to edit my website and add items that are not on the template, my website has major HTML coding issues and will not publish properly. The visual appearance of my website thru Rentec is subpar considering what I had before. That said, I could not get the functionality I needed from my old website, and I will sacrifice appearance for functionality. I actually learned HTML coding so I could add a contact us field on my website, but I couldn't save the website with HTML coding. Another item I dislike, although it's more a feature I don't use as opposed to an issue with Rentec, is there are so many redundancies when it comes to the tenant. I plug in their email and name, and that should be all for my purposes. But I have to manually go in and authorize them to receive emails from me. And then authorize them access to the tenants portal. And authorize them to make partial payments, and so on.

by Rentec Direct on 06/05/2019

Thank you, Michael, for your feedback. I'm happy to hear that the majority of your experience with Rentec has been so positive. We're happy you're with us!

Adjusting source code on the free website template can throw things for a loop if one character is off, so we typically recommend only website designers adjust it. I would love to see what we can do to assist you with what you're hoping to accomplish on your template. Look for my email! :) If you do opt for a privately hosted website with more flexibility, we offer integration tools for your listings and portals.

We look forward to working with you and please reach out if you need our help.

• Reviewed on 26/04/2019
Molly H.
Realtor
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/12/2018

"Perfect for beginers"

Comments: I would recommend this to anyone with less than 100 properties.

Pros: We used this product for a few years when our property management company was just starting to grow. It was great in the beginning because it got everything out of excel and quick books and onto a property-oriented platform. The reports were excellent. The program was extremely user-friendly.

Cons: We ended up changing to another program when we grew out of Rentec Direct. The program only allowed you to deposit ACH payments into one account and that was an issue for us.

by Janell on 18/12/2018

Thanks Molly for positive feedback! We listened to you and other clients and rolled out the option for multiple electronic rent collection accounts back in May of 2017. Current clients really love this option and the fact we don't charge you, property owners or your tenants for ACH transactions (echecks). More details can be found in the link below. Rentec has grown up over the last decade and we'd love the chance to woo you again. :)

• Reviewed on 05/12/2018
Tracey B.
Office/Rental Manger
  • Reviewed on 16/03/2018

"Great program! Needs some work but all in all a great program!"

Comments: Some of the things that need work are:
Docusign - it needs to be where we can assign signature fields for the tenant so they know where to sign.
Reconciling - It needs to be a little less confusing when reconciling the ACH transactions. it would also be better if you could sort out the transactions by check number/ACH or by date.
Scrolling - when you go into a tenants account to make changes the page scrolls back to the top when you come out. It needs to stay where you went into the tenants account so that if you are making multiple changes in an account you dont have to search for it again when you make the first change.
Owner disbursements - It would be great if the program would automatically send an email to the owners when an owner disbursement is made.

Pros: It makes life a lot easier in the rental managing world. This program helps keep up with tenant payments and owner disbursements.

by Nathan on 22/03/2018

Hi Tracey, We appreciate your kind comments about the software and wanted to respond to a couple of the challenges you mentioned. With our Docusign integration you are able to add signature fields for tenants from the drop-down fields list in the upper right when editing a form, it is part of the core functionality. A good solution for the scrolling issue you mention is to use the date range selector in the upper-left of the ledger. Your date range will be saved between page views so you will return to exactly where you left off. For owner disbursements, an auto email is a great idea and we'll definitely add it to our feature recommendations list. Again, thank you for the feedback. We will have one of our client success reps reach out in the next couple hours to help with any of these items.

• Reviewed on 16/03/2018
Melodie B.
  • Reviewed on 05/02/2019

"This company is amazing"

Comments: I have used them for 9 years. I would recommend them to anyone.

Pros: The software is easy to learn, use. The people are very nice. Very good for the money. They have thought of everything.

Cons: Online payment could be easier to use. The app for the phone should be for managers as well. Pay checks should be easier to do.

by Janell on 21/02/2019

Melodie! Thank you for the kudos and for being a faithful Rentec client for so many years. And good news! We're rolling out a manager app this year and you'll love it. We've also updated the online payment tools since you came on board and they are very user-friendly now. Cheers!

• Reviewed on 05/02/2019
Timothy O.
  • Reviewed on 23/07/2019

"Superb for new PM businesses and perfectly scales with growth"

Comments: I researched SEVERAL PM software companies . . . Rentec Direct offers the most, across the board, for a REASONABLE price. RD was honored as the Stevie Award Winner in 2019 American Business Awards, https://www.rentecdirect.com/blog/2019-stevie-award/

Pros: Robust features at a reasonable price. For instance:
- ACH transactions (for both tenants and owners!) included, or for minimal price for startups, in Rentec Direct subscription
- Rapid-response customer support
- Excellent webinar/blog content for onboarding and growth

Cons: The primary tenant screening option is only available for PM companies managing at least six properties. Rentec Direct does provide a tenant-initiated option for companies managing one to five properties.

by Rentec Direct on 25/07/2019

Thanks for the love, Timothy! We're so happy you're part of the Rentec family now and we look forward to helping you!

Regarding Tenant Screening, all PRO & PM clients can get setup for pulling reports through their Rentec Direct account, but to do so, there is a requirement to have at least one signed rental application. For brand-new landlords and managers, all you have to do is wait until you have your first signed rental application. :)

• Reviewed on 23/07/2019
Krystal M.
Owner/Manager
  • Reviewed on 26/07/2017

"Almost all inclusive"

Comments: Quick attention when I needed assistance.

Pros: I like that navigation is by way of drop down windows. This easy for me since it is like other software I use.

Cons: When linking the inspection app, z inspector, I found out that they are going to charge me monthly fees. I wish this function was part of your system.

• Reviewed on 26/07/2017
C D.
  • Reviewed on 31/08/2016

"Everything I needed"

Pros: It was easy to set up, and it's easy to use. I can easily pick and choose how much or how little of the program elements I want to use. It has plenty of report and tracking options, and provided lots of room for growth.

Cons: Really don't have any complaints. I wanted a way to compare properties profitability to one another and it doesn't do that. But I don't know that any of the rental property software out there does.

• Reviewed on 31/08/2016
Shannon M.
  • Reviewed on 29/09/2016

"Everything I need and things keep coming I didn't know I need."

Pros: I like that everything is right there. The price is very reasonable and this application includes all of the items the very expensive programs include. The customer support has been incredible these last six years and they keep adding things that really help.

Cons: Strictly operator error, I forget my log in from time to time. Seriously, I haven't found anything I'm unhappy with.

• Reviewed on 29/09/2016
Denice N.
  • Reviewed on 17/02/2018

"Great experience for a new property management company"

Pros: Customer support is awesome! Hours that the customer service folks are available and their knowledge makes learning the ins and outs easy.

Cons: Look of the platform is a bit dated, and not as easy to use on mobile device. The accounting portion with tenant deposits was a challenge when trying to edit after a bank fee and tenant error

• Reviewed on 17/02/2018
Linda L.
  • Reviewed on 30/05/2014

"Rentec vs. Excel Spreadsheet, I pick Rentec Direct."

Pros: It's simple to use, and accounts can be used for several things, such as bank statements reconciliation and keeping track of payments. It does that math for me, and all I have to do is make sure I entered the right amounts. Rentec does the rest. Screening is also easy, and it's a one stop shopping. I also like the tutorials.

Cons: There are still some updates I would like for it to have. It doesn't track emails to owners. This is an important tool because our personal or business email address is cluttered. If we could check on the owners notes, I can tell quickly if they received an email from me or not. I also don't like the fact that I have to pay for tenants using the tenant portal to pay rent. The tenant should pay for using the portal, not the property manager.

• Reviewed on 30/05/2014
Denise O.
  • Reviewed on 30/09/2016

"The Program and Support"

Comments: I cannot begin to tell you how much we like this program. I have never worked in Property Management before this job and therefore, never used this type of program. Rentec is very easy to use and understand. The support that they offer is top notch. I tell people that I have my own personal support person, Kathryn!! She is the BEST, she knows the program inside and out and even when I call with a crazy questions that is out of the norm, she finds a solution. They are constantly improving and adding new updates. They ask for your input and listen and make changes or additions. Not only WOULD I recommend Rentec to others, we already have!

Pros: The Support is the BEST, always available and very personable and helpful!!! The monthly fee is worth every penny.

Cons: I really don't have any complaints.

• Reviewed on 30/09/2016
Marcella G.
  • Reviewed on 29/07/2016

"we would highly recommend Rentec"

Pros: They are very user friendly and affordable . If you have questions you can call and talk to a real person.

Cons: I did have to call the first time to find the correct place to go for a credit check but easy after that.

• Reviewed on 29/07/2016
Scott D.
Commercial Real Estate
  • Reviewed on 18/08/2016

"Amazing Property Management Software"

Pros: The ease of use and value of the product versus the cost. Very affordable for what I receive.

Cons: Very little to complain about. Every time I have had an issue with the software it turned out to be user error or ignorance of the product.

• Reviewed on 18/08/2016
Marsha C.
Property Manager and Managing Broker
  • Reviewed on 27/01/2017

"Great product, very user-friendly, terrific customer support!"

Comments: We got Rentec Direct for our Property Management department about 3-4 years ago - it was so easy to set up and get started with extremely intuitive and easy to use, great features and functionality and if you ever need them, the customer support folks are top notch and very knowledgeable and friendly. They have a "Knowledgebase" built into the software program that actually answers the majority of the questions you might have and it walks you through how to set everything up. Even those of us who have never used YARDI or other PM programs were able to pick it up right away and use it in on day 1.

Pros: Easy set-up and user-friendly, great Knowledgebase and customer support.

Cons: none, really

• Reviewed on 27/01/2017
Sarah C.
Leasing Consultant
  • Reviewed on 15/06/2017

"Good program for growing businesses"

Pros: I like the ease of use for this product and value the quick response time when I have had questions.

Cons: I wish there were more connections between certain pages instead of needing to click back and forth.

• Reviewed on 15/06/2017
Gary H.
  • Reviewed on 26/02/2016

"Rentec Direct Platform for LandLords"

Pros: That the software is user Friendly and customer service is Tremendous.

Cons: Got to be honest there isnt anything that I dont like. Just wish I were a little more competent on the computer. But, support is there when I need them.

• Reviewed on 26/02/2016
Alejandra M.
asst. Property manager
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/05/2018

"Awesome program with some needed work"

Comments: Customer Service is super responsive and takes care of your issues without going in circles.

Pros: The program itself is actually very easy to use once everything has been downloaded, etc. Its is very good at listing properties, etc. and works well when dealing with tenant maintenance request and progress.

Cons: When you are doing online payments for the first time it takes some time and seems to be a bit more time consuming than anything else but once everything is set up payments are super easy.

• Reviewed on 09/05/2018
Sue P.
Rental Property Owner
Commercial Real Estate, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 04/10/2017

"Tested this service - Report that came back did not have the misdemeanors that I already knew about"

Pros: Great idea. I wish it worked. Unfortunately, my one time test use of it proves the reports they provide may be inaccurate .

Cons: It is not accurate. I tested this service with info on a person I know has misdemeanors. (He admits to them and the local police department in Indiana provided a report detailing the offenses). The "nationwide" report that came back to me after I provided SSN and other requested info, showed no criminal history at all. So, clearly the nationwide background check claim is not accurate

by Nathan on 11/11/2017

Dear Sue, Thank you for taking the time to try our service and post a review. Indiana does indeed have limited coverage as not all counties report misdemeanor convictions to nationwide databases. We (and all other screening vendors) are a bit at the mercy of counties keeping things updated but some still run analog systems and haven't yet converted to electronic, which can slow things down. Also, as a reporting agency for landlords, most states restrict landlords to only seven years of history. The crimes committed by your applicant that were over seven years old cannot be reported or considered when placing a tenant. Our system would have automatically removed those from the report as required by law, which also keeps you out of legal hot water if you were to accidentally reject an applicant based on old data. We are here to protect both you and your investments which we endeavor to do with both our software products and tenant screening reports by providing the most accurate data possible.

• Reviewed on 04/10/2017
Tony O.
  • Reviewed on 22/02/2018

"Great for my needs"

Comments: Customer support has been superb!

Pros: I love the ease of use with this software. I own and manage 35 units and the features in rentec are perfect for my needs and it's affordable. I checked out several website based and desktop software and Rentec was the best fit for me

Cons: The biggest concern I can think of this system doesn't track my real estate loan . There is a work around for this but this would be a feature I would like to see.

• Reviewed on 22/02/2018
Steve M.
  • Reviewed on 18/11/2017

"Awesome Customer Service"

Comments: I highly recommend Rentec to any property management company looking for a high value platform to run their company.

Pros: Learning new software is always a bit intimidating and time consuming. Rentec support has been available and extremely helpful answering my questions and guiding me.

Cons: Some of the FAQ's are outdated and need to be updated to reflect improvements done on the program. The FAQ instructions don't match up with the program.

• Reviewed on 18/11/2017
Caroline V.
Property Manager
  • Reviewed on 17/05/2018

"The software is easy to use"

Comments: My tenants and owners loved the owner portal.

Pros: It's easy to use and We can organize everything in just one place. The owner and Tenant portal help them to keep posted on the payments monthly.

Cons: We want to give too much information to receive payments online. I think they should make a page for owner linked with the tenant and other for the property. the layout will be better to see each information.

• Reviewed on 17/05/2018
Jalen C.
  • Reviewed on 21/04/2020

"Support form [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN]"

Pros: The software is great and the ease of use is simple. I received a few follow emails after I signed up that I ignored because I am pretty self efficient. [SENSITIVE CONTENT HIDDEN] reached out and stated even if you do not need nay help I would still like to welcome you and see how everything is going. We scheduled a call and within the first five minutes he was helping true up a couple of items. He was great and provided great value. I learned that I am able to screen tenants with the software also.

Cons: There are not any cons about the software in my opinion.

by Rentec Direct on 27/04/2020

We're so happy to hear that you're enjoying your new software and it's working well for you. And yes, please do know that our team is here for you!

• Reviewed on 21/04/2020
Deborah L.
Property Management
  • Reviewed on 20/10/2017

"Great Product, Great Price, Great Customer Service"

Comments: Over-all I am satisfied with the product. It saves me time.

Pros: It is affordable and has streamlined my process. I can use it from any location. I like the reports and the portal. I have less face time with tenants and am more productive.

Cons: Didn't know ahead of time that I needed to apply for a merchant account. I had to wait until approved. Tenants used other methods of payment for the first month.

• Reviewed on 20/10/2017
Mike K.
  • Reviewed on 07/05/2020

"Feedback"

Comments: I don't have any problems with Rentec. I did have some issues with setting up the credit card/ACH as they were not as helpful. But again, I worked through it and it's ok now.

Pros: What I like is the cost and thoroughness of the program. It does basically everything I need it to do.

Cons: For me, it took a little while to get the hang of it, but once I navigated around and learned it, I like it. Just wish the tutorials were a little more thorough

by Rentec Direct on 18/05/2020

Thanks for the feedback, Mike! We're happy you're on board and are enjoying your new tools. We are in the process of updating many of our training videos as lots of new functionality has been added in since the videos were first made. Don't hesitate to reach out to us with any questions you have. We're happy to help!

• Reviewed on 07/05/2020
Jessica E.
  • Reviewed on 07/01/2017

"Rentec review"

Comments: So far I have had a decent time. Though the background check leaves a bit to be desired. I ran a friend through who had a record and bad credit. It clearly stated the bad credit but no criminal record came up. My friend had a name change so I guess it didn't run that, but I thought the social might pull it up.

Pros: Well organized and allows online pay and reporting. Lots of tutorial videos and easy to understand instructions. The tenant pay is convent as well.

Cons: Criminal check doesn't work 100% but everything else seems to function very well.

• Reviewed on 07/01/2017