• Overall
    4.1 /5
    4.1 /5
    3.9 /5

About Paychex Flex

Manage payroll, online or in-house, and save money on time tracking, reports, and processing payroll.

Learn more about Paychex Flex

Showing 1,059 reviews

Adam J.
Campus Support Team Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/10/2019

"Unfortunately, the UI is awful and has a steep learning curve"

Comments: Pretty bad if I'm being honest. If we were to pick software again, we would pick someone else.

Pros: The customer service is helpful, although I wish I didn't have to call them as much as I do.

Cons: It's surprising to me that this company is a big competitor in this space. I think their software is extremely difficult to learn how to use and graphically looks like it was made in Windows 95. I use the administrative side mostly and have people coming to me all the time with questions because it's not easy or intuitive enough to learn on your own. Software should be created and designed so that it's easy enough for people to pick up and start using immediately. PayChex Flex is not one of those softwares.

• Reviewed on 08/10/2019
Anthony A.
Payroll Manager
Gambling & Casinos, 1,001-5,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/11/2020

"Better than ADP"

Comments: Overall the implementation is the easiest I have ever experienced and you get quality software and service.

Pros: I love service you get a full time service representative assigned to you which ADP does no have. And I love that personal service.

Cons: The basic reporting could be better. You have to pay for custom reports which some reports should be standard.

• Reviewed on 27/11/2020
Elisa B.
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/09/2020

"Paychex Flex for Small Business"

Comments: My overall experience with the software has been positive. I can run payroll very quickly and everything comes back in a digital format for me to save, upload, or print for my records. They also have amazing customer service which they make personal and memorable.

Pros: The software is very user friendly and easy to navigate. There isn't anything hidden or difficult to figure out. Users can easily manipulate the software without guidance because everything is clear and concise.

Cons: I have not found anything about the software that was challenging or difficult to figure out, so far, the platform is everything a small business needs to get started with payroll.

• Reviewed on 30/09/2020
Candace E.
Google CS First Instructor
  • Reviewed on 09/04/2018

"Paychex Flex the next best electronic payroll system!"

Comments: The benefits of using Paychex Flex software is that the product is available online to users. Other benefits include being able to select a specific payment plan or subscription suitable for the company to aid the human resources aspects of payroll. Additional benefits include accessing a dashboard with all employee information to be edited or submitted at once. More benefits of utilizing Paychex Flex include developing quick reports such as payroll statistics. Paychex Flex is a good tool to administer payroll for your company.

Pros: Paychex Flex is an online software that human resources personnel can utilize for payroll. Paychex Flex has various subscriptions that company's can select depending on the types of features. Paychex Flex offers an employee dashboard that requires an username, password, and pin number. Paychex Flex allows users to disburse amounts of funds to contractors, employees, vendors, and sponsors. Paychex Flex offers tools, tutorials, and customer support related to the online library and overall application.

Cons: Paychex Flex requires a new verification code upon logging into the dashboard. Users listed in the Paychex Flex may not be deleted depending on administrative rights to complete such an action. Paychex Flex may provide usernames and passwords to administrators and not employees, thus employees may not be able to update time card electronically. Paychex Flex allows time card adjustments to be made by the administrator. Paychex Flex allows payroll adjustments to be made by the administrator.

• Reviewed on 09/04/2018
Peter G.
Owner/Manager
Fishery, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/03/2019

"A great asset to have when running and business."

Pros: The software itself allows me to eliminate the need for a time clock for my employees. They are able to have the app installed on their company issued smartphones and log in with their fingerprint access on the phone (which the app supports) and can clock into work in no time. They also have the availability to request time off, check vacation, sick and personal balances, view pay stubs and a ton of other features geared toward self help for the employee. This software saves me money so that I do not have to pay someone to sit and calculate all of the different times and payroll sheets. I would be lost without Paychex Flex.

Cons: The app can be a little slow at times. They also schedule down time on the overnight hours until 530am when most of our work does begin before that. It is a simple fix as I can enter staffs time manually when needed. You also need to trust your employees to punch in and out when they actually show up to a job site and not while driving home.

• Reviewed on 10/03/2019
Brad C.
Practice Manager
Medical Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/09/2020

"This software implified my life"

Comments: I recently upgraded to Paychex Flex from what I believe is called their "time and labor online" product. The most frustrating issue was the Paychex employees and implementation team used the same terminology for different products. (Implantation is complete, but still tweaking some options.) This time, attendance and payroll system will ultimately automate at least three manual processes:. PTO tracking for physicians, entering holiday hours for each employee and tracking points for our attendance policy (very time consuming). It's a very good solution for my clinic!

Pros: Transferring time and attendance to the payroll module is significantly easier compared to their other platforms. I review employees' timecards 1 - 3 times a week and find them very easy to read (again comparatively).

Cons: There is not a way to track and pay independent contractors on the exact version I use. Less obvious but frustrating is the required date format. For example, many sites I use can be 7/3/20. This site requires 07/03/2020. (A pet peeves of mine.)

• Reviewed on 16/09/2020
Amy G.
CSR
Insurance, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/09/2019

"Times out too fast"

Comments: Overall the decision to use a time tracking system has been a good one. There are a few things that could use improvement within the system such as the timing out when inactive for over 30 minutes and the request for time off options but on the whole I think its a good system.

Pros: I like the fact that the system will keep track of time, and that you can pull reports that show exact times.

Cons: The system times out too quickly, I think its 30 min. which is very inconvenient for employees as the system isn't very quick to get up and running again which means time spent just trying to clock-in or clock-out. I also don't care for the way the system tracks time off, it pulls from your 'bank' before its used so looking at your time off it can appear as though you are in the negative.

• Reviewed on 12/09/2019
Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 06/07/2018

"Paychex flex is so easy to use."

Comments: Everything you need is in the system and best of all accurate.

Pros: This software is so easy to use. It gives you tutorials if you get stumped on how to do something. It also has the capability to put all your reports in one place so when you need to run a report, it is all there waiting to be downloaded.

Cons: The only thing I really do not like with the system is that you have to go thru so many prompts to log in and then you have to have a specific code sent to your phone in order to get into the system. Needs to be a simpler way that allows the protection.

Dawn C.
Retail, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/05/2017

"pricing should be better"

Comments: Help save me money on my payroll fees, which is getting a bit much for only 3 employees soon to be only 2. I think I could get others to use Paychex but they freak out when I tell them how much is the payroll fee is.

Pros: Paychex has been great. It was a hard start, just because New Mexico is weird but Paychex and the state finally got it all worked out. All papers are always filled out perfect that our sent to government. Everyone is so nice

Cons: Pricing on payroll keeps going up and up every year. I tried getting my employees monthly to save money but they said they would quit. :( There should be a better invoice charge for less than 5 employees cuz in 2 weeks I will only have 2 employees and will be paying the same for invoice charge. And one other big thing is that for the last 5 payrolls I HAVE TO CALL IN. This is getting frustrating cuz all the specialist says is that is his too busy and paychex is short handed to call ALL clients. REALLY?? I pay and have to remember to call my 3 lonely number in. Because of these 2 major things, I am starting to consider calling ADP to see how much their fees are. I am a small women disabled business. So I need what any money I can. I really love Paychex it is just these 2 major things that might make me switch companies.

• Reviewed on 09/05/2017
Kelly M.
RSO
Hospital & Health Care, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 25/02/2020

"Paycheck Flex - all in one place"

Pros: I love that I have one login for several different services, we have used multiple platforms before , one for hiring, one for benefits, one for payroll - it’s all in one place which is a time saver

Cons: I have nothing bad to say about paychex flex

• Reviewed on 25/02/2020
Steve D.
VP Finance
Logistics & Supply Chain, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2018

"Feedback"

Comments: Too much turnover in the dedicated payroll specialist role. I think I've had four or five in the last five years, and transition experience has been mixed. Some great, some not good at all.

Pros: Ease of use, cost effective. Traditional version easy to use and fairly intuitive. Not looking forward to the new release based on what I have seen so far.

Cons: Inconsistent response time from the dedicated payroll specialist depending on which one we are referring to. See comment below.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2018
Karen W.
Director of Operations
Management Consulting
  • Reviewed on 09/02/2016

"Convenience for small companies with 401k plans"

Pros: Recently, I've been shopping other vendors for alternatives. There are two things that Paychex does that other vendors seem to fail to deliver. One is the Washington State L&I taxes, the other is good integration with our 401k through Fidelity. For a small company, where I am doing all the HR, IT, compliance, and client service, being able to wrap all of these things together and still get an extremely competitive price has been a key driver in us sticking with them.

Cons: Sometimes, the customer service can be inconsistent. If something goes sideways, this can be difficult. It doesn't effect 95% of what we do. Additionally, if you have unusual entries for payroll, it can be difficult to figure out how to enter something properly. The help menus are not that great. However, if you call them up, they are good about walking you through what you need to do.

• Reviewed on 09/02/2016
Board Member
E-Learning, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/11/2018

"Paychex has some unfortunate downsides"

Comments: Typical clock in/out and benefit tracking.

Pros: Very easy to view clocked in users, people on break, etc. As a manager it is easy to view and approve hours. It allows for a convienant way for staff to access paystubs and documentation.

Cons: Employees often have trouble with the site when punching in/out - the easiest to access option are buttons that move, and as a result it is easy to click the wrong button! Way more time clock corrections that we used to get. It is very difficult for staff to tell how much vacation time they have remiaining, they constantly have to ask for confirmation - very frustrating. It isn't always easy to tell that as a manager either, so we have had issues where people took more time than allocated. THE most frustrating aspect of it is when someone misses a punch - sometimes adding a missed punch is just a matter of clicking a box and filling in the correct time, other times switching a type of punch - like from start break to start meal is ridiculous and you can end up with a big mess. Have never seen a program that is so irritating to handle corrections like that. As a manager I hate working with this program.

• Reviewed on 21/11/2018
Sherry S.
HR Manager
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/07/2018

"Positive Experience"

Comments: Paychex Flex is useful for any size organization. If your company utilizes a 401k, the process is of setting this up is seamless. Flex plans, etc. are also very easy using Paychex Flex.

Pros: Customer service is very good during implementation. The Paychex representatives assist new users along the way, and provide many ways to train. The have live training, and other training modules Payroll Administrators have access to.

Cons: Once your company has launched with their system, customer service is a bit challenging. This can become a bit stressful If you have payroll emergencies.

• Reviewed on 10/07/2018
Sherryn W.
office mgr
Machinery, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/05/2018

"switched from ADP and never looked back!Cust.Service reps are the best!"

Comments: payroll do quickly and easily and with confidence, Knowing if you have any kind of question, all you do is call your rep and its fixed :)

Pros: From day one , its been pretty easy to use and if I have any kind of question, I just simply call or customer service rep/or team member and they will walk me thru anything I am doing to ensure I am doing correctly

Cons: I have nothing negative to say about it, like I said earlier switched from ADP because their customer service was the worst, you would never speak to the same person twice ever! With paychex we have a dedicated team to us, 9 times out of 10 I speak to the same rep every time. It makes the ease of doing something as important as payroll with more confidence because the repore you have with customer service

• Reviewed on 15/05/2018
Debbie D.
Office Administrator
  • Reviewed on 22/05/2018

"Overall, it's very good software"

Pros: It is very convenient to be able to log in any time and perform tasks when it's the best time for me. I frequently work remotely and am easily able to access the website from any computer with internet access.

Cons: I wish the program would let me stay logged in longer with no activity because it takes a while to go back through the 4 step log in to get back into the software.

• Reviewed on 22/05/2018
Christina C.
Operations manager
Sports, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/12/2019

"Not for those who aren’t tech savvy"

Comments: Once we got the hang of it (thanks to the awesome customer service) it saved us a ton of time on payroll

Pros: The amount of options it gives you for everything having to do with payroll and HR. It’s super customizable to fit your needs.

Cons: It was a bit complicated to learn how to use for multiple companies. Also the website could be a little glitchy/laggy at times.

• Reviewed on 10/12/2019
Susie R.
HR Director
Food & Beverages
  • Reviewed on 09/08/2016

"Paychex is just not the product that I had envisioned when I reviewed"

Pros: I cannot blame the vendor. They only had a very little assistance in set up but the customer service is the worst I have seen in over 20 years. I was going to review them when I was at my last employer The Grand Sierra Resort and am so THANKFUL we passed on them and went with Kronos. This experience has proven to be one of the worst I have ever experienced and Paychex will always be one that I never forget. I would never recommend this to anyone I knew.

Cons: I think that I believe nothing is great about this vendor. When you have an issue, they can't be reached. When you ask them questions, they get frustrated. When I first talked to the "designated person," she was very nasty and I had to ask her if she was ok. From there she seemed to improve but they do not answer my calls. I know there is a level of frustration due to the fact that this company, prior to my arrival, didn't really know how to set it up but as far as that goes, I would imagine they would do their best to make sure the payroll service was on trac and they just do not do that. They don't assist, they don't answer the phone and they don't do much of anything. This employer, Bully's sports bar and grill is paying for things they never used and I am surprised our "Designated customer service person," didn't reach out after a year and say, "Hey, you are paying for this why aren't you using it?" It is just all around a very disappointing product.

• Reviewed on 09/08/2016
Pamela M.
Practice Manager
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/07/2018

"Paychex is a one stop all inclusive payroll and HR package."

Comments: Saves lots of time when completing payroll.

Pros: If you have multiple locations, this is the best way to track attendance etc. Tracks time off request for all staff levels. Ability to store HR documents for staff members online.

Cons: Downtime or system issue that cause clock in/out staff problems. Entering payroll is a bit of a challenge.

Mark P.
Logistics Manager
Transportation/Trucking/Railroad, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 08/09/2020

"Great Software"

Comments: I would recommend this to anybody in the business world.

Pros: We use this at my work on a daily basis for the guys who have to clock in and out.
I can also view all my paychecks for the past 2 years.

Cons: I wish there was a link to my medical benefits through this site.
Other than that it is very solid for work.

• Reviewed on 08/09/2020
Marly G.
HR / Payroll
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/09/2018

"Rolled out upgrade that doesn't work"

Comments: Working with Paycheck and doing only essentially data entry and payroll is usually very enjoyable. Mostly positive things to say about tech support. We don't use this for keeping our timecards so I manually input our hours and checks.

Pros: For simple data entry and payroll this software is easy breezy.

Cons: When getting into reports or anything that you have not done before the help button is either just a jpeg or the program doesn;t work in Chrome. I haven't tried it in another browswer. They recently rolled out new a software upgrade that is unusable because the buttons are grayed out and the tech support acknowledged that.
Their saving grace is that the tech support is pretty good as long as you get them within business hours.

• Reviewed on 26/09/2018
Amanda A.
Coordinator
Nonprofit Organization Management, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 19/11/2020

"Works for tracking - customer service lacking"

Comments: This system was used before switching to ADP tracking software for time and benefits. Paychex cost was another driving factor for the switch. Can it do what is says - sometimes. When it can't perform, there's a definite manual pain in the neck.

Pros: Reporting and customizeable coding was positive. Also, the tracking functions - most of the time. There is a 2-factor authentication function that is great for some people. Employees who have been through many time tracking software changes tend to not enjoy that feature.

Cons: If the site is down it causes a huge disruption in employees clocking in or out. This has to be manually tracked and corrected later, usually on the manager or supervisor's end of things. Causes a lag for management to have to go in and adjust. Plus, it gives employees little confidence that they should use the software to the best of its functionality. Support is practically non-existent. If you can't figure it out on your own, you should just Google the solutions or a work around.

• Reviewed on 19/11/2020
Cassandra D.
Payroll Manager
Hospital & Health Care, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/01/2018

"Very user friendly"

Comments: This is how my company process all of our payroll so the benefits have been to vast to even begin to list.

Pros: It is easy to use, very self explanatory, has a lot of reporting capabilities that are extremely useful.

Cons: I don't like that the program is divided by years, I wish there was a way to capture all years when doing some searches or reports.

• Reviewed on 16/01/2018
Angela B.
HR Director
Management Consulting, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/04/2018

"Paychex Flex works for smaller companies"

Comments: I would recommend this software to a smaller company, not a large company.

Pros: The software is easy to use and I have had a good experience with my assigned customer service representative. She is responsive to our needs.

Cons: The software has limited functionality. Specifically the hiring platform and onboarding is not that customizable. Also the time and attendance platform cannot confirm to all the new and varied state specific sick time laws being passed across the country.

• Reviewed on 23/04/2018
Jennifer C.
Maritime, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 09/06/2017

"Convient and easy to use!"

Comments: No more issues with payroll everything runs smooth now.

Pros: I personally like how quickly you can enter everything in along with checking all employees hours ( especially when you have a lot to go through). They also are good at reminding you to put it through or let you know to get it in earlier if there is a holiday.

Cons: We have a different schedule then most companies and its hard to integrate that in with Paychex so we do it separately. Other then that I have no cons.

• Reviewed on 09/06/2017