• Overall
    4.5 /5
    4.6 /5
    4.4 /5

About BambooHR

BambooHR features integrated applicant tracking (ATS) as part of our award-winning cloud-based HR information software package.

Learn more about BambooHR

Showing 25 reviews of 1,193

Shaun M.
Founder, VP of Sales
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 22/09/2020

"New User Learning Curve"

Comments: So far I've loved it. I'm a few months in and still getting used to the learning curve on some abilities/functionality of the product, but it's been a good experience so far.

Pros: What I liked most about Bamboo was the simplicity in setup. I registered for the product an in minutes new how to data entry employees. After meeting on the phone with one of their reps, I was able to setup a time clock and be ensured that W2 data would be drafted for employees in a place they could login and access. All of this functionality without having to break the bank.

Cons: Some of the system seems almost too rudimentary. I am concerned that the user experience for employees won't be similiar to ADP's self serve nature, ( I loved their back office). But it's definitely a step up from Paylocity.

• Reviewed on 22/09/2020
Shaytoya S.
Business Operations
Construction, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/04/2020

"Great Product"

Comments: Bamboo has been great so plenty of support, great product and affordable for a small business.

Pros: Bamboo is easy to use, they provide plenty of support to get everything situated. Also it is customizable to your business.

Cons: I truly have not found anything I disliked about the software, we have been using them since February 2020.

• Reviewed on 21/04/2020
Lisa D.
HR Director
  • Reviewed on 21/09/2018

"Excellent product!"

Comments: If you need to be FULLY integrated, this may not be the right solution for you - you would have look at their partnerships prior to implementation. But the integrations they lack, they have made up for it with the tools the provide.

Pros: We experienced a disaster when we migrated from Zenefits to another HRIS. While we experiencing such challenges, we found BambooHR and made the immediate switch. It has been a huge, pleasant adjustment for our company! After dealing with the customer service from Zenefits and the overall issues with the other HRIS, we finally landed in a place that provides a great product and great customer service that suits our needs. The implementation was incredibly smooth. Our rep, was knowledgeable, helpful, friendly, available, efficient, loyal to the brand, etc... She went above and beyond on all of her commitments, worked hard to keep us on track, and was available throughout all of implementation. Once we were in the product, I was concerned about not having an assigned Account Manager. But the customer service desk is well trained and a wealth of knowledge, so we have not needed an assigned account manager. Reports are incredibly easy to access, company metrics are incredibly easy to understand, the features provided solve all of our business needs, and employees enjoy using the product. Time off works well, the app is super helpful, the esign feature makes any HR project easier to complete, the approvals have kept all the correct parties in the loop. Onboarding has been a major improvement - new hires get to see their teammates before their first day, which new hires have loved! No glitches every time. So reliable. Lastly, they don't have contracts. They are a month-to-month service.

Cons: We wish there was more flexibility for integration, but I understand why they are choosy with their partnerships. We have to manually upload data into our payroll which has caused some errors. Also, the approvals aren't flexible. It's either all or nothing meaning - if a single participant involved in a multilevel workflow is out of the office, the entire approval is bypassed. I would like the flexibility to approve on the behalf of the absent individual while allowing the other participants to still play their part. Outside of that, we are very happy with the product.

• Reviewed on 21/09/2018
Travis A.
Director of People & Culture
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/08/2019

"Former and Future User"

Comments: It seems weird to be writing a review as a non-customer, but I'm a former user who found, implemented, used, and administrated this product for my business. Had to go away from it for a while, but looking forward to getting back to it again as soon as they have a viable payroll solution ready to roll. We were using this as a supplement to ADP. ADP was our payroll system and BambooHR was the rest of our HRIS solution for everything else we needed. When things became unbearable with ADP and we dropped them, we found an all in one solution that made BambooHR unnecessary. If Bamboo had a payroll solution, we would be using them today. My HR team love BambooHR and all of our employees liked it as well. Several ask periodically when we are going back to them on a regular basis.

Pros: Ease of use
Intuitive design and flow
Amazing customer service
Development team constantly on the move and open minded to any suggestion you have

Cons: Doesn't have a viable payroll solution yet to be a true all in one HR solution yet

• Reviewed on 29/08/2019
Sarah e. B.
Government Management Consultant
Defense & Space, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 16/09/2019

"Bamboohr greatly increases the quality of candidate management"

Comments: This must be one of the best human resource management services. Bamboohr is good for delimiting our work flow based on the number of employees with whom we work. It serves to communicate with employees, and with candidates to work in the company. It should be noted that bamboohr offers a very comfortable directory of employees. This software allows you a huge capacity regarding its deployment. Bamboohr It can be operated from any type of electronic devices since no type of installation is needed. Bamboohr customer support has a very acceptable response speed, as well as being very friendly at all times. It is the best services.

Pros: The platform offers us a good management of the documentation of our employees. It is easy to make detailed follow-ups about the activity of each employee, and their work time. The same thing happens with the follow-up of the candidates, and their abilities, because this is very complete. Another advantage of bamboohr is that the work can be organized so that specific employees can manage the rest. Bamboohr has proven to be a very reliable service, with which we can support all the work reports of our staff, and much more. The platform has also been of great help to achieve a more methodical workflow, and for the whole team to be aware of the skills and talents of each member of the team. Thanks to this we can create work strategies based on these skills.

Cons: Bamboohr offers a quite poor smartphone application. This is much better when used directly from the web page. The Platform does not offer enough communication tools. It does not handle motors of revision of curricular summaries, and neither it allows to administer criminal records (in the case of the candidates).

• Reviewed on 16/09/2019
Kristie S.
Human Resources Manager
Food Production, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/07/2018

"Intuitive Software w/ Over-the-Top Customer Service"

Comments: Saves me time & keeps applicant tracking, hiring and onboarding processes organized and smooth, employees like it, and we've taken several processes paperless with BambooHR.

Pros: When I rolled BambooHR out to my team, I had several people confess their initial reaction was, "oh no not another program to learn!" but once they got in there they were pleasantly surprised by how intuitive and easy it is to learn. They've done their research and crafted a solution that's simple and elegant, actually kind of fun to use, and does what all HR professionals hope their solutions will do - it saves me time! My favorite functions are the Applicant Tracking System and On & Offboarding checklists. I never want to hire without them!
BambooHR has excellent tutorials with screenshots and videos, and they provide webinars on best practices and getting the most out of thier platform. I can often find answers to my questions in their Help pages, but if not, I can email or call their support team and often get help right away. Their user support is unmatched. They could write the book on customer service for tech support professionals.

Cons: One of BambooHR's greatest strengths is its simplicity, but that also has its drawbacks. It's not as customizable as some other options on the market. There are some things I wish it could do that it doesn't. They are always making improvements though, and what they do have works great. I'd rather use a somewhat limited platform that works great than deal with a fully customizable one that doesn't work great, or that's difficult to learn and a pain to use.

• Reviewed on 14/07/2018
Lilian W.
HR Manager
Staffing & Recruiting, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/03/2019

"BambooHR makes HR processes more organized"

Comments: I recommend using BambooHR as this program makes managing of human resources much easier. I can tell for sure that it will suit to any kind and size of business. If you still doubt, just try its free version. I am sure your HR team will like it a lot.

Pros: I like that I can check all the documentation which is connected to each of employee. So you do not need to have thousands of folders saved on your computer. Everything is already stored correctly. And it takes just a few minutes to find the right document. What is more, you can customize the view according to your and company needs. But the best thing that I like that BambooHR has a great time-off management option. Employees submit a request, supervisor approves it and I got all this information well structured. BambooHR is a simple and easy-to-understand program. The design is really cool. But the best thing is that all the information about your employees is gathered in one place. Thanks to BambooHR HR managers spend less time for the organization of their work.

Cons: One of the problems is that when a supervisor or another person who needs to approve the time-off request is absent, there is no opportunity to approve it. I wish there was some kind of approval backup when another person approves time-off requests on supervisor’s behalf. Moreover, BambooHR has a very weak number of the integrated program. Because of that, we need to do a lot of work manually. Last but not least is the customer support. They are not capable to solve complicated issues.

• Reviewed on 06/03/2019
Thomas A.
Automotive, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 26/08/2017

"Bamboo HR is fantastic. Completely automate your HR needs. Very intuitive and user friendly."

Comments: This product allows my management team to be on the same page with employee administration. Our managers are able to access our Bamboo account from anywhere, allowing them to keep better information on their staff.
It helped reduce costs by allowing employees to enter & update their own personal information. the reporting has automated several manual reports we used to produce in the corporate office.
We continue to automate more processes with the help of the Bamboo development team.
The on boarding and off boarding processs is streamlined by offering electronic on boarding, taks assignments, and e signature documents.

Pros: Bamboo HR covers every aspect of employee administration and HR management.
The canned functionality and reports meet 90% of my organizations needs. The minor things that we discovered missing, we requested and Bamboo customized them for us - very quickly and at no additional charge.
The cloud based platform keeps my entire management team on the same page with their employees as well as with the other departments.
Bamboo is very intuitive and easy to use.
Bamboo allows you the ability to alter screens and develop your own specialized reporting.
Our employees have the ability to view and update their personal information and request time off through a free app.

Cons: I have nothing negative to say about the product. The only thing missing for my organization (which Bamboo is researching at this time) is time clock integration. They do have time clock integration, but we use a facial recognition time clock and they do not have a solution for that product type at this point.

• Reviewed on 26/08/2017
Emily M.
Controller
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 30/01/2020

"This software makes our lives so much easier!"

Comments: We implemented Bamboo upon reaching over 50 employees and realizing that we couldn't manage our HR on paper/Excel anymore. We use it for applicant tracking, work flow (onboarding, offboarding, changes, etc), PTO tracking, and performance management. It's saved us many, many labor hours by automating our processes.

Pros: Bamboo is extremely user friendly. Even the Admin features are easy to use.

Cons: Nothing. When we first implemented, there were some features we would have liked to have, like more approvers on forms. We passed those suggestions on to Bamboo and eventually those features were added.

• Reviewed on 30/01/2020
Venugopal S.
Technical Support
Insurance, 5,001-10,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/08/2018

"Best for organizations with up to 250 employees"

Pros: firstly, I would say it is a great all in one solution for HR arrangement, it is so easy to use, user friendly and convenient to get information about other employees like their email, phone numbers, their position in department, salary, and for other things and all this comes with a great storage of the data. It is very easy to ask for leave approvals. It offers a variety of features for different HR functions and that’s why it is a very organized way to keep information. It is also very secure, not allowing non-management people to see any personal details. So, I think that BambooHR is very supportive and useful for organization's and I hope u will find it interesting.

Cons: Although BambooHR seems to be an asset for company it has some little problems that are to be looked upon like organization chart gets unreadable when expanding, sometimes it gets harder to find links, when we have to send one single document to all, u have to do it individually, there is no 'select all' option there and if there was a time clock for employees it would be even more beneficial. It is not recommended to use this software if the company employee size is larger than 250.

• Reviewed on 21/08/2018
Brooke J.
Operations Manager
  • Reviewed on 21/03/2017

"Everything You Could Ever Need"

Comments: I could probably write a whole book about why I think organizations should be using BambooHR. I am currently a one-woman show at my company and was running most of our processes on dropbox and drive documents. BambooHR has freed up so much of my time, allowing me to be more strategic and take better care of my team. Bamboo makes our company even more organized and improves the hiring to on-boarding experience by 1000%. Let's start with the Applicant Tracking Software. I went from having no ATS and using google docs to Bamboo and it has made my life so much easier and our lines of communication to applicants even better. It allows me to stick to deadlines, keep everything in one place, and never misplace an applicant. I don't know how I would have gotten through hiring for our summer internship program (180 applicants) with out this software. On-boarding: incredible. I can send a new hire packet to my new hire and they feel so well communicated with every step of the way. Being able to fill out their paperwork online is so important - they can do most of it before they even step into our office. Then they have access to everything later - what more could they (or I) want? Reporting time off - We have unlimited vacation but still use Bamboo to keep track of where people are and how many days are spent out of the office. It's so incredibly easy to set up and my freedom loving team loves using it. (There is even an app!) The day to day - it makes everything easier. I have everyone's phone numbers, addresses, SSNs, EVERYTHING in one place. I'm an evangelist for a reason, it's hands down the best thing I've implemented for my team.

Pros: So simple, effective, customizable. Customer service is amaaaazing. You can do everything you would possibly want and now they have payroll.

Cons: I literally don't not like a thing about Bamboo.

• Reviewed on 21/03/2017
Brett P.
Director, Human Resources
  • Reviewed on 24/09/2019

"We love BambooHR!"

Comments: You notice BHR's incredible customer service right from the get-go during implementation. There team is very friendly and patient. Their system is never clunky and our employees love it. Training is a sinch, but there are lots of videos to help you along the way should you need extra support.

Pros: The UI, the ease of use and their incredible customer service team.

Cons: Their benefits module needs some work to really make it functional. I wish they had a benefits enrollment piece to make it easier to connect to payroll.

• Reviewed on 24/09/2019
Ryan T.
Accountant
  • Reviewed on 30/04/2019

"BambooHR provides a great backbone to any Human Resources Department"

Comments: The biggest problem BambooHR has solved for my company is the ability to have employee information in one central location. It's hard to put a price on that. Overall, my experience with BambooHR has been excellent.

Pros: The employee pages for each employee are simply amazing. You can store a ton of information about each employee. This information rages from birthdays, hire dates to time off requests and performance reviews. The system does a great job of organizing documents for each individual. You can store employee reviews, I-4 paperwork and payroll documents. Anything you wish to save is available to store in this system.

Cons: The only complaint I have with this software is its inability to integrate well with 3rd party software. I am specifically referring to time clock and payroll software such as Deputy. BambooHR struggles at time to provide basic functions with this software.

• Reviewed on 30/04/2019
Product Marketing Manager
  • Reviewed on 20/04/2019

"Clean and functional HR platform"

Pros: We use BambooHR at the company that I work at and so far I have only had positive experience with this product. It's clean and simple to navigate in, has dedicated sections for personal and professional info, as well as sections for any benefits, additional conditions and statuses you might have. We use this for quarterly manager-employee reviews as well.
Requesting time off and work from home days is also extremely easy. The employee directory makes it really easy to find someone from a specific team, as well as view the team hierarchy and management levels. You can also view who's out of office and who has a birthday on a specific date, which comes in really handy sometimes :)

Cons: I'd say I don't see any negative sides to this software, except for, probably, site navigation at first, which becomes really clear when you click around a bit.

• Reviewed on 20/04/2019
Parker H.
Manager of People and Places
  • Reviewed on 09/01/2019

"Great HR product, very intuitive with a great design"

Pros: Very intuitive from an admin and user side. Shows the information in a very pleasing way. Makes managers love HR tools. Great benefit set up, easy to administere time off and do reporting. If you are an up and coming company wanting to use a great solution go with Bamboohr, everyone will love it.

Cons: Stay away from the Payroll side of bamboohr! This was a huge issue for us, good thing they are not one in the same, but their 3rd party payroll that goes with bamboohr was the worst payroll experience ever. They would pay incorrect amounts, take months to fix and didn't get our employees our W2's until late February. very bad. So, use bamboohr for the HR side, DO NOT for payroll.

• Reviewed on 09/01/2019
Senior Quality Analyst
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 23/11/2018

"Can setup a company from day"

Comments: HR and admin guys will be thrilled to use this most of the time, so that would mean less cost to maintain other smaller, separate apps.

Pros: Professional-looking HR suite. most of the items an HR would need is here, from job posting, applicants' hiring to their last day at the company. leave accrual policy's can use the standard, though i have yet to figure out where to customize those policies. it is geared more toward U.S. companies, but i believe some customization requests for certain benefits and additional employee information can be requested. tutorial pages are readily available so the HR person will not be so lost in the vastness of the software. a list of available integrations is growing. basic asset management and tracking is also available to work alongside office admin/IT infrastructure guys

Cons: i was looking for a more guided employee setup. Employee account information can also be handy for payslip automation and reporting, but i guess that can be handled by a Comp+Ben software that can be integrated with BambooHR. Email alerts are also limited, so no templates of HR memos/notices and reminders are available, or this feature might be outside the standard package.

• Reviewed on 23/11/2018
Katie K.
HR Director
Nonprofit Organization Management, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 03/10/2016

"Great HRIS for Small Company"

Comments: BambooHR is a great platform for organizations on the smaller and/or less complicated size. We looked for them originally when we needed a standalone HRIS system (although I believe they do integrate with some payroll vendors). The integration with Benetrac didn't work very well for us. As we grew and had more complicated working status (like multiple locations, different work status, etc) it became harder to accurately report/use Bamboo. But when we were smaller they were great. And they are super affordable. They're also on the newer side so often add functions. And the user interface is Very user friendly.

Pros: user friendly, affordable, friendly customer service.

Cons: integration with benetrac didn't work well for us and some better/newer features (like audit history) costs more.

• Reviewed on 03/10/2016
Zach M.
IT Manager
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/02/2019

"BambooHR solved our need for a robust HR information system!"

Comments: For many years, we managed HR using paper filing systems. This is very inefficient and not organized. Moving to an HRIS platform has changed all of that for us! We are able to do everything paperless and report on all aspects of our HR processes!

Pros: What I like most about the software are the onboarding processes. In the IT department, we are responsible for a number of tasks that need to be completed when an employee is hired. BambooHR is quick to notify us and allow us to complete these tasks quickly and timely.

Cons: I wish this software allowed for some customization around the performance review questions. We have some specific metrics that we use internally to track employee performance and it would be nice if we could add custom questions to the performance reviews.

• Reviewed on 21/02/2019
Kim R.
HR Coordinator
Real Estate, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 01/07/2019

"Easy HRIS & ATS"

Comments: We enjoy the ease of use and how it makes the process from applicant to employee seamless.

Pros: I like that all of our HRIS and ATS functions are housed under one system. I also like that some of the features are customizable.

Cons: I don’t like some of the limitations. For example, when an employee who was an admin leaves the company, any of their outstanding documents that need to be signed are not accessible.

• Reviewed on 01/07/2019
Finance & HR
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/07/2018

"Amazing HR Solution!"

Comments: Onboarding, offboarding, applicant tracking, benefit communication

Pros: Gone are the days of having to print a huge stack of onboarding files. We have LOVED implementing BambooHR in our company. Our onboarding and offboarding processes have greatly improved by making all electronic with digital files and signatures. For new hires, they can review and sign off on many of the required documents before their first day which helps them be able to focus on other great things when they first arrive rather than piles of paperwork. Another great feature for us has been the Applicant Tracking System. We can easily view applicants, put them in a desired category, send emails through the system, and then start the hiring process right through there if we'd like!

Cons: There is so much that can be customized in this system which is very helpful. I think my only complaint would be that when we make a chance to an onboarding file, for example, we have to remember to update in the Files section in addition to the onboarding template which can be forgotten.

• Reviewed on 24/07/2018
Shelly T.
Vice President
Food & Beverages, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/08/2017

"Bamboo HR has been a game changer for me and my company!"

Pros: Very easy to use and the employees can understand their side. Bamboo performance is good but could be better if it was available on the app for the employees to access more readily.

Cons: I would like to see the app more functional for the employees. Currently the app only shows people gone from work in there division but since our company is small we would like all employees to see time off across the board. This app is just a time off request app. Needs more functions for this. Online version is great but the functions employees need are performance and files to look up.
Access to performance assessments would be great on the app. Our employees work in an environment where computers are not readily available. We work in rooms where wash down is going on and in coolers and freezers. Phone apps work best for our company. This app is lacking in functionality.

• Reviewed on 15/08/2017
Allan A.
Human Resources
Outsourcing/Offshoring, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/04/2019

"Best employee database tool for you company!"

Comments: It has made Human Resources more fun and easy. We track everything we need through Bamboo. Makes our department look more organized and efficient.

Pros: I like that you can have all the information you need for each employee on the company. Personal information, tracking promotions, salary, direct reports, emergency contact, track vacation requests, PTO, and so much more.

Cons: I wish we could get better training in order to use this tool to its maximum potential. I still feel we have many things that we don't know about.

• Reviewed on 05/04/2019
Leticia N.
Hiring Manager
  • Reviewed on 18/05/2017

"The hiring front of this application still needs a lot of improvement"

Pros: Handling our internal staff and sending on-boarding packages is nice, and it offers a good way to make things related to our staff visible to the HR department. It handles time off policies really well and you can set a lot of internal specifications for the benefits your staff gets. Customer support replies fast mostly on the same day. It has a good user access differentiation, but if you're like me and would like a lot of customization on that side for the hiring front you'll find it a bit lacking.

Cons: It could have a lot more functionality in terms of employee self service and functionality, it gets little or no use from our staff on weekly basis with the exception of asking for time off, I would think that a more interactive platform for employees that allows for internal marketing and coordinating internal events. The hiring functionality is new and it lacks a lot of organization thus it makes it very time consuming for the hiring staff, it's hard to process information and it doesn't generate any kind of report regarding recruiting so you'll have to do that manually, and since it also doesn't allow you to download your candidate database you'll have to manually count how many people went through each stage and generating statistics will take you forever. Thus if you need hiring functionality I'd recommend using another tool and doing your research taking your own internal process into account. Also the API doesn't touch the recruiting platform at all and tech support won't be able to help with that because the recruiting platform works separately from other areas of the application.

• Reviewed on 18/05/2017
Official Member
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/05/2018

"Simple and self-explanatory"

Pros: The new hire onboarding and electronic signatures. I can have a new employee's new hire forms all filled out and auto saved into their profile before they start on their first day. The analytics are insightful and the layout of the pages are very user friendly. All levels of our organization are able to navigate through BambooHR with no troubles.

Cons: The performance management. It is Bamboo's way or the highway. Does not allow for much customization to fit your performance management process.

• Reviewed on 24/05/2018
Digital Marketing Expert
Marketing & Advertising, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 21/03/2019

"Must have tool for HR"

Comments: Would recommend this tool for time saving and efficiency. Customer support is also great and quickly solves any issues.

Pros: It’s a great recruitment tool and it makes it so easy to segment both potential and current employees based on their abilities. It’s easy for employees to use and the information is well secured. Saves a ton of time with scheduling sick days or vacation time. The employee facing interface has gotten a lot of praise for being fairly intuitive.

Cons: The time management system can be a bit cumbersome and has little customization, which can be a problem when you want to track a lot of projects. The process of giving access to time management projects to certain individuals is very manual and can take more time than it should. Would have liked payroll capabilities too.

• Reviewed on 21/03/2019