15 years helping Australian businesses

About Clio

Ranked #1, Clio is the leading trust accounting solution with the most 5-star reviews. Schedule a live demo to learn more.

Learn more about Clio

Pros:

I love the notifications that offer support and training for new options and/or updates within Clio. I like being able to select certain calendars to see at one time or multiple at once if needed.

Cons:

There is no restore your organizations work if a rogue employee deletes it or an accidental deletion without nefarious intentions.

Clio ratings

4.6
4.7
4.5
4.6

9.1/10

Clio has an overall rating of 4.7 out 5 stars based on 1,605 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Clio before?

Filter reviews (1,605)

J.P.
J.P.
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Clio is the best option for a solo or small firm law practice

Comments: After 3 years, I am still working at discarding habits and practices built up over 25 years as a practicing attorney to better incorporate Clio's feature into my daily work flow. One of Clio's driving philosophy's is to make lawyers more productive with their time, and make lawyers services more accessible to persons that need legal advice. Clio's focus on providing multiple access points, including mobile apps designed from the ground up with these two goals in mind, will pay off for both Clio and my practice in the long run.

Pros:

The Clio platform is not intended to be a closed, proprietary system. Instead, it forms the foundation for the day to day management of leads, clients, time, documents, and billing, supplemented by almost 200 third party integrations, with new offerings coming on line each month. Clio offers unlimited cloud storage and IOS/Android apps making all of your firm information, clients, and documents available 24/7. Clio continues to innovate and as the leading provider to small/medium law firms throughout the world, I don't worry about whether they will be in business a few years from now. Finally, all, yes all, of your data saved in Clio is easily exportable should you decide to change to a different vendor.

Cons:

Clio's growth means that feature changes must be more fully vetted as they are used by more than 150,000 legal professionals. As they broaden their perspective to encompass larger firms, the pace of change may continue to be more deliberate. The movement and management of files without a third party integration, such as FasterLaw, is cumbersome. Clio's own integrations with Office365 for emails and calendaring remain a work in progress.

Alternatives Considered: CosmoLex and Rocket Matter

Reasons for Choosing Clio: At the time I decided to look at alternatives, in 2017, the product was getting worse, not better.

Reasons for Switching to Clio: Largest user base and least likely to get assimilated or go out of business, forcing another vendor change.

Jeffrey
Principal in US

Clio Meets My Firm's Needs

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: I'm still in the process of moving all my files from Firm Central to Clio. But so far, I'm very satisfied.

Pros:

I came to Clio because Thomson Reuters discontinued its Firm Central case-management product, and I needed a replacement. Clio has all the functionality that Firm Central did, but in a more logical, easier to use interface. I found that, with minimal instruction, I was able to get up and running. The Clio onboarding process was very effective.

Cons:

Clio was designated by Thomson Reuters as its preferred partner to replace Firm Central. In that role, I would have expected the Clio team to have been a little more up-to-speed on the best way to migrate from Firm Central to Clio. Clio's team does migrate your data, and that went very smoothly. But "data" doesn't include documents, which is the bulk of what we were storing in Firm Central. Clio has no advice on how to move those documents. They simply recommended three third-party vendors. I contacted the one that advertises that it specializes in migration to Clio. It was going to charge me $3,000 to upload my files into Clio. But I'd still have to figure out how to get them out of Firm Central, which was my major challenge. Once I had them downloaded, Clio makes it easy to upload. At any rate, Firm Central's instructions were helpful, and the process went fairly smoothly.

Ryan
Owner in Mexico

Fallen far from grace

1.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Awful. They look great at first glance given the supposed breadth of features they have, but when they start removing features without notice or you experience any problem with their software at all, it is all but guaranteed that they will be completely unable to assist and you will be left paying full price for a program that, at best, half works.

Pros:

Clio used to have responsive and helpful customer support, but that was years ago! It was once easy to track and link payments to client matters, run useful reports, and handle cloud-based documents, but recently the software has seen nothing but bugs.

Cons:

Clio is plagued with bugs and its cloud-based document system stops working entirely every few weeks or so, requiring a complete reinstallation of the desktop launcher. Clio also, without any notice at all, removed certain features that allowed for the linking of card payments from Clio Scheduler (a sister program), retroactively recharacterizing ALL prior card payments in a completely different manner and ruining my firm's entire accounting system overnight. Clio tech support is worthless and is never aware of any issues brought up to them about the software, no matter how debilitating the issue may be, and they endlessly put you on hold to "talk ton their team" while stalling and asking for more screenshots of the issue, only to tell you a week later that they can't help you. The software has fallen far from grace and serves only to be a very expensive patchwork of buggy integrations, paired with tech support that doesn't understand any of the details of their own program.

Office Manager in US

CLIO for Efficiency

Comments: Overall I see much more pros than cons. It is absolutely worth the money. I have been able to restructure certain areas of the firm to be more effective and our production has been going up annually since using CLIO.

Pros:

Ease of use, e-signing with ease, invoices can be unique to our firm with templates for each client, cleaning up others time entries are simple as admin, and it just overall makes my job more efficient and enjoyable.

Cons:

It needs work on adding my state laws and guidelines into the calendar. For example if I have a CT slip and fall case, it would be nice if the calendar prompted me to enter all my scheduling order dates, remind me when discovery is due per statute, etc… also an in office chat feature would be nice too! When we save emails from outlook the organization is not helpful for some attorneys and we cannot edit that. Also we need AI integrations!

Daniel G.
Daniel G.

Solo Practitioner Recommends Clio

Comments: My experience with Clio has been excellent. Although Clio was not intuitive at first, it became so after a few months. The support has been excellent. Also, I have found Clio responsive to suggestions for improvement.

Pros:

For a reasonable price, Clio includes a number of useful features in one package: DocuSign capacity, billing, trust accounting, document creation, hourly billing tracking, and of course management of cases and case loads.

Cons:

Clio's method of running credit card or ACH fees and then tracking them is a bit frustrating. I do appreciate the fact that the fees are not taken from the trust fund.

Daniel
CEO in US
Legal Services, 11–50 Employees

Why we are the Certified Partner of Choice

5.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Superb, excellent, spot on, inspiriing and productive.

Pros:

Ease of use, Quality customer service, product innovation and of course the ability to provide the service we are committed to.

Cons:

cost the cost is above most program and yet once again just like our services it is worth the money

Bob
Owner in US

Very Satisfied user

5.0 2 months ago New

Pros:

Features Ease of Use Easy to Administer Easy for part-time staff to use

Cons:

Nothing really, i have found Clio to be a perfect fit for my solo practice

James
MD in UK
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Fantastic product and exceptional onboarding and support

Comments: The onboarding process with [sensitive content hidden] was exceptional. She was very thorough and knowledgeable and we were up and running in no time. Clio is saving us a tonne of time and we have much better visibility and reporting.

Pros:

Ease of use Integration with Outlook Doc sign Matter stages

Cons:

Billing cost Not having two way syncing with email

Alternatives Considered: Access Legal and Smokeball

Reasons for Switching to Clio: Matter stages visibility. Team very keen to engage and discuss rather than trying to push a solution without fulling understanding our specific needs.

Maria
Paralegal in US

Great Administrative Software

Pros:

I like the ease of use, easy to track all our client files in one location, the ease of logging into Clio anywhere and use the program.

Cons:

Okay, so far my dislike would be that I cannot customize the Law Firm Dashboard.

Karen
attorney in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

It's a comprehensive program.

5.0 2 weeks ago New

Pros:

Provides online access and accessibility.

Cons:

Reports and tracking are not always helpful.

Stephen
Attorney Senior Partner in US

Changed my practice

Pros:

Clio has been a game changer for my practice. Before I would write my time on a sheet of paper (sometimes any paper within reach) and hope it got entered at some point before the end of the month. Now, I immediately enter my time either on my computer or iPhone. A phone call, client conversations, anytime I work on a file it immediately gets entered into Clio. At the end of the month, Billing is a breeze. I am able to see all of my Billable Clients for the month and with a few clicks, they are all sent out by either email or Clio Connect. My clients can pay with their credit cards, and many times they have paid overnight before I even get to the office the next day. I remember when I first switched to Clio about 80% of my accounts receivable paid within the first week. My clients also like the billing detail with separate time, attorneys, and expenses. I have been able to create custom invoices to comply with some of my government contracts, which require invoices to look a certain way. We are also big fans on the integration with Office365. The software automatically creates a client folder on OneDrive when a new matter is opened. This has been a huge help in keeping everyone working on the same files and storing documents in the correct client folder. Also, the Outlook plugin has been great to keep all emails received and sent copied to the client's matter. I do not know how many times I have easily found an email related to a client matter.

Cons:

I wish there was better integration with Infusionsoft (now Keap). There is a way to connect using third parties, but it would be nice to only enter client information once.

Lucy
Owner/Attorney in US

Solo Attorney Highly Recommends Clio

Comments: Clio has made me much more organized and efficient. My billing process is easier and smoother and I keep better track of accounts receivable. Much easier to track the progress of a file and leads. It is easy to share documents and communications securely with clients

Pros:

Clio software is comprehensive and covers everything that I need as a solo attorney to keep my practice running smoothly and efficiently. Clio Grow is a new feature that helps me track leads, lead sources, the intake process, etc. It is very comprehensive and is easily merged with Clio Manage. The Clio help desk is excellent. Answers are always spot on. If they cannot fix my problem, they will honestly tell me that Clio does not have the capability that I'm looking for and they will offer to submit a request for that capability to be considered in the future. Clio is always looking to address customer needs.

Cons:

Does not have all of the capabilities that I need but has most of them. Sometimes the queue for the help desk/chat is rather long.

Peter
Principal in US

All I Need

Comments: Terrific, a true game changer!

Pros:

Clio provides an all in one suite of applications that are necessary for my law firm to operate. We used to rely on a stand-alone billing software program for our billing and time-tracking. Of course every computer or user we added cost us more money on top of the software itself. When the software became outdated and no longer supported, we had to purchase the latest version. We also relied upon emails to assign tasks, and give each other messages about the cases we were working on together- without a centralized location for the team to track and review each other's notes and progress, each member had to rely upon their own notes, memos, emails, etc. This was inefficient and time consuming. Another fun part of my day was searching for contact information of opposing counsel on particular matters. Often times I would search emails, review the documents on a case, or review documents in the file to get the contact information I needed. Calendaring was also an administrative hurdle. Entering dates in a separate software system led to disorganization, and required jumping around from one program to another to manage information and learn where attorneys were supposed to be. Clio puts all of these functions , and more, under one roof. It has made the work flow in my law firm seamless, efficient, easy, and organized. Clio does it all, and I am truly grateful for this product.

Cons:

I would like it to be easier to review the billing entries of other users in real time.

Margy
Legal Assistant/Executive Assistant in US
Legal Services, 11–50 Employees

The Future of Cloud Computing in the Legal Industry

Comments: Clio has been really helpful organizing a small solo practice and getting that attorney up and running, and then expanding their practice accordingly. It's a great, central location for file management, and being able to use Quickbooks and Clio for billing is spectacular. Clio's client support is stellar, and that is worth a LOT when it comes to case management. Overall, Clio is an excellent choice, and even with my complaints, I do believe it is the standard for the future.

Pros:

I really do believe that Clio is the future of legal cloud computing and practice/file management. It's a functional piece of software that allows attorneys and legal staff to manage cases with ease. There are a few things that I find to be useful with Clio: 1. Clio integrates with tons of other software options, including Grow (a CRM management tool). Keeping things "in the family" is really useful and speeds up management. 2. Clio's billing functionality is really nice. It's one of the more functional back end management tools I've seen, and I really like the way it works. You can integrate it with Quickbooks for easy accounting, which we really appreciate and which looks great on the user end (for clients, when they receive bills). 3. Clio sports a really professional interface, which just looks nice when you're working. It looks grown up and sleek, so if someone peeks over your shoulder or you're working while in the vicinity of clients, it doesn't have a preschool feeling to it. 4. Most important - Clio's customer support is incredible. Have an issue? There are videos you can watch, or people you can talk to. They will literally stay on the phone with you for hours as you troubleshoot issues together, or learn something new. Top notch, seriously.

Cons:

I do have a few gripes about Clio. If these were addressed, it would get a 5-star rating from me: 1. Mouseclicks. Clio requires so. many. mouseclicks. It is infuriating at times. I realize this sounds stupid, but over time, they add up. I am a huge fan of efficiency, and Clio is one of the most inefficient programs I've used. 2. Workflows. I really enjoy using workflows to track various projects. Clio sucks at workflows. A complete rework of how they approach them, and how they look for interface with the staff who are responsible for executing, would go a LONG WAY toward making Clio a more useful application. I think workflows are really the topic that causes Clio to lag behind other software out on the market. I would like to see something in place that allows a user to create a workflow, move tasks around in the list, add subtasks to tasks, and assign triggering dates, secondary dates, etc. It would also be useful to be able to assign various tasks to various users. Until that's in place, I'll be sad about using Clio. 3. A central location for performing various functions. Clio does have a left-hand toolbar that allows you to do SOME things, but not ALL things. It would be good if, from the left-hand menu, I could do each discrete thing that I can do in Clio by clicking a mouse a zillion times. Once that happens, I'll be happier. 4. Document management. I'm out of room, but it is not idea. Too much downloading/uploading. Dropbox is better (for collaborati

Alternatives Considered: MyCase

Reasons for Switching to Clio: Clio came recommended by another practitioner who had gone solo and had a great experience.

Tanya Mitchell
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Clio has changed my life!

Comments: My CFO's timed has been freed up tremendously because we now bill with Clio and she does not have to enter time from all users into a similar computer software. We all can work from anywhere and capture our time with the Clio app! Love it!

Pros:

I love the functionality of Clio, and how we can manage time for each user on multiple devices. I not longer have to keep up with my start time for a task, my completion time, the calculation with what portion of an hour was teh time, or completing timesheets for a billing professional to then enter into a software to generate client invoices. Additionally, the billing process has been simplied and can be run from any computer. Further, the ability to keep up with each staff member's productivity is AWESOME! Clio has definitely changed my legal life!

Cons:

Getting acclimated was sort of difficult because my rep was new at the time. The regular support team helped us with the remaining onboarding.

Alternatives Considered: MyCase

Reasons for Choosing Clio: We needed the flexibility that Clio offers for billings. We also have Clio Grow, and it has made new client intake a breeze!

Switched From: Sage Timeslips

Reasons for Switching to Clio: Clio had better customer service and unlimited storage space for documents.

Founder in US

I've used Clio Manage for 6+ Years and Clio Grow for 2+ Years

Comments: I've used Clio since opening my own firm. Overall, I'm happy with their products and feel confident that I can get "at a glance" information on my active cases as well as my leads quickly. And, I can dive deeper into any particular matter or contact easily. I do wish they were a bit more tailored to small/solo firm practice - particularly in terms of the time investment in set-up and cost per license.

Pros:

Clio offers nearly comprehensive lead and case management services. Their support staff is responsive and if you engage them in a conversation about your firm's needs - they are eager to listen & learn. Since I began using it, Clio has steadily widened their offerings that are real value-adds. Their annual conference is a great networking & learning event.

Cons:

Both products, but Grow especially, are very time-consuming in the initial set-up phase. Both products could be more robust for practice areas that don't involve litigation. Their support staff is readily available but in my experience can only assist in solving my issue about 10% of the time. Often some features I view as key are not available and it's hard to determine how the upvoting process of feature requests actually works. The pricing structure is frustrating and could benefit from adding a different tier for restricted or limited users (like paralegals and admins). While all the features and new additions are nice, as a solo practice attorney I often find myself unable to take advantage of them due to the time involved in learning about & implementing them.

Alternatives Considered: CosmoLex and MyCase

Reasons for Switching to Clio: Interaction with the sales reps and recommendations from fellow attorneys.

Mathew
principal attorney in US

Intuitive and Flexible

Comments: I am happy with Clio and the support they provide. It's helped keep the firm, as well as our third-party answering service, organized and consistent.

Pros:

The ability to integrate other software enable using other software to address aspects of Clio which are good, but not great. As an example, Clio Management's task management is good, but there is not a kanban or gantt feature, but I can easily integrate with Asana, Monday.com, etc.

Cons:

Some aspects address needs in a basic manner, but are not as robust as software which is specifically designed for a single purpose. Using the same example as mentioned in the "Pros" - the task management works and can be automated, but it does not have highly specific features such as kanban or gantt.Additionally, the syncing between Clio Grow and Clio Manage could improve. The two do not sync completely - certain items (ex. emails, I believe) do not sync.Lastly, when trying to export specific sets of data, Clio is time-consuming. We had an attorney who left our firm, and providing her the information from her clients required going to each client and selecting "export" for each aspect of the clients' data (such as, emails, documents, contacts, transactions, etc.)

Alternatives Considered: PracticePanther Legal Software

Reasons for Choosing Clio: Cosmolex is not intuitive. It took a long time for me to become comfortable with the system, and it was not worth the time and energy for getting additional people up to speedMyCase was more intuitive, but lacked integrations which could have enabled better automation than MyCase had.

Switched From: CosmoLex and MyCase

Steven
Managing Partner in US
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Highly motived to get this to work... but it is a nightmare.

Comments: Clio has tremendous potential. Their support and sales staff are extremely nice people and I feel terrible writing such a poor review of their product. I am concerned that Clio's development staff lacks experience with developing a robust financial accounting system. I feel the current system has been developed by a bunch of very smart people who have never actually run or operated a business. So many of these glitches are just basic. Previous to attempting to use Clio my firm used Quickbooks Online, Google Apps and Google Drive with an internally developed call management system. It worked well for us but the Clio interface was just beautiful! We are paying about a month now for Clio and I regretfully feel I have made a major mistake with this system. My CPA, however, is quite happy with all the new billables cleaning up the mess this system has caused me.

Pros:

Thought was put into the billing and time capture capabilities of the software. Great implementation with Google Drive and the advertising tracking is a brilliant idea. Actually, the entire software package is well designed and has tremendous potential. But...

Cons:

But the implementation of all this is not good. The click flow of the user interface is very cumbersome. Basic tasks require far too many user interactions and it is not streamlined. Reporting is basic and requires .CSV dumps of data to recover meaningful information such as a summary of collections in a month for all staff broken down by time keepers. The Quickbooks implementation is a disaster. Trust Account sync creates a journal entry for each debit/credit to your trust bank account whenever you add funds to trust or use trust account to pay a bill. This is all well and good except that in Quickbooks, journal entries are a separate line in the ledger. That results in two lines in the ledger for each transaction. My firm deposits thousands of dollars into our trust account daily and this quickly generates a maze of transactions in our accounts. Where this is more problematic when we do batch deposits because well we don't have just one client a day. So now when I need to reconcile my accounts I need to then go sum up all journal entries and ensure the accounting is correct. Even worse is when writing a disbursement from Trust it seems that the same journal entry process is used to create the draft. The problem is that I cannot print a journal entry from Quickbooks, so we need to hand write the check. Support tells me the work around for this is to deactivate the sync feature and enter the check in Quickbooks manually.

6 years ago

Hi Steven, Thanks so much for taking the time to share your candid feedback¿you raise some excellent points and we're very sorry to hear about your frustration with our Quickbooks integration. We'll have someone from our team reach out shortly to see how we can resolve this for you¿we're extremely motivated to keep customers like yourself happy and we'll do what we can to make that happen. If you have any other feedback, please feel free to email me directly at [email protected]. Thanks, Steven!

Joseph
Managing Attorney in US
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

Clio is an essential part of this law firm

Pros:

Having direct access to the company, and the developers is a huge benefit to using Clio. If there's something that's not quite right, there's usually an easy fix or workaround, and you don't have to wait around for days or weeks to get a response from support. As far as the software itself, we love the nearly limitless integration ability of Clio, and the fact that they're always adding/improving features, like CourtRules, which is essential to our litigation practice.

Cons:

We've been powered by Clio since 2011, and at the time, subscription software was a new concept, which took me a while to warm up to. Eight years later, however, everything requires a subscription, so this is a non-issue. I can only think of two things that I wish Clio would come up with a fix for: (1) ability to merge duplicate contacts; and (2) bring back the ability to have a less expensive subscriptions for non-attorney users.

5 years ago

Thank you for the feedback, Joseph! We've shared your feedback with our Product Team. Though a one-click merge contact option isn't currently available, the steps listed here will help you achieve the same results (hope this helps!): https://support.clio.com/hc/en-us/articles/115002325034-Is-There-a-Way-to-Merge-Contacts-

Alicia
Alicia
Owner in US

Best in Class for Small Firms

Comments: In addition to what I wrote above, Clio Management's customer service and technical support are​ great. They are still working out the kinks on the Clio Grow side after acquiring Lexicata (which I also used and was happy to see integrated). I am excited to see what improvements they have in connecting up the two systems.

Pros:

I've been using Clio since 2010. I have tried other software over the years. I also originally had to use other software that integrated with Clio, but slowly have been able to reduce subscriptions as Clio built out features. Clio is the best in class, affordable, and the software around which I ultimately chose to build all my systems. I like that Clio allows me to manage the entire client file, including documents and emails, bills, and file shares, all within a single integrated system. Less software is cheaper, easier to manage, helps me capture details, and requires less employee training and management.

Cons:

Clio still has some features and kinks to work out. Not everything is intuitive. Its plugin with Outlook is a little slow and I don't like that it strips the attachments from emails when placing them in the file. There still isn't enough flexibility in fee arrangements. It could improve the marketing side quite a bit. And I wish you could edit billing entries in bulk a little easier (especially if you made a mistake in one edit, it doesn't save and you lose ALL your edits -- super annoying). That said, all of these bugs and annoyances get addressed by Clio over time. They continually improve and grow the software. So I don't feel that there are any fatal flaws; just quirks that you learn to work around​.

Owen
managing attorney in US
Law Practice, Self Employed

Fantastic value, modern software, steadily improving features

Comments: I've been using Clio since 2011 to help me run my solo practice. I use it primarily for calendaring , time tracking, and billing. Those features are fantastic. Almost all of my billable time is calendared, and Clio lets me add time right to those events and assign it to a matter right from the calendar. I cut my administrative time to bill clients by 40% the first time I used Clio, and it's now down roughly 90%. I love that Clio lets me use third-party software with it rather than forcing users to rely on less convenient built-in solutions. For instance, Clio creates a folder for each client and matter for me in Box.com where I can work on my clients' documents using the rich feature set of Box. Clio Documents is okay for sharing with Clients, but there's no way they could replicate Box. There are two things I really wish Clio would improve. First is the ability to natively support joint representation. I do some consumer bankruptcy work, and many of my cases are joint petitions. The Clio solution is to add one of the joint parties as a 'related party'. Strictly speaking, this is not a related party, but my actual client. I can note the relationship type, so it works okay for conflict checks, but I'd rather the software reflect the real legal relationship. The other has to do with transaction tracking and integration with bookkeeping software. Maybe I just need to learn how to do this better, but I end up doing double work in Clio and Quickbooks for expenses and trust accounting. Bills and payments integrate, but the details, which are important for accounting disclosures, are manual in Clio. All in all, Clio continues to be the best option for me. I'm very mobile, so a SaaS/Cloud solution is absolutely required. The features were very basic when I started using it, but the folks at Clio are constantly releasing new functionality, improving existing functionality, and integrating new useful apps. Oh yeah, I'm a bit of a tech geek, so having access to an open API is extremely tempting to me. I've done one integration with Zapier, and I have some ideas for other things I might do directly with the API. Highly recommended.

Pros:

SaaS platform, integrations with useful software like Box.com and NextChapter (bankruptcy service), comprehensive workflow features

Cons:

Detailed expense accounting is cumbersome, joint representation is not natively supported

Julianna
Legal Services, Self Employed

serious business problems treated like everyday problems by customer service - not timely resolved

Comments: My experience with CLIO was fine until I actually had problems with the software that were negatively impacting my business and practice. They have been taking weeks to help me resolve these. And, I have to call them repeatedly and ride them to get any movement on getting them to help me resolve these very serious business and professional ethic problems. Because of this I am seriously considering going through all the trouble of switching to another provider like MyCase.

Pros:

It being cloud-based and the app for my phone

Cons:

Clio Payments is very problematic. CLIO Payments has been holding client payments that the clients authorized to be deposited into an attorney trust account. When the bank that the deposits were directed to refused to received them - CLIO did not refund them. I requested that the refund the clients since the money cannot go into that trust account b/c of issues with the bank. CLIO Payments says that it cannot refund money deposited to a trust account despite the fact that they have never deposited those funds into any trust account. CLIO Payments has taken possession of the client funds and will not release them or refund them back to the clients. This is a HUGE professional ethics problem for an attorney. They are oblivious and do not care about the impossible situation they are perpetuating for my business. Maybe they are making money on that money while they are holding it where it cannot be accessed and used for the client's benefit. DO NOT USE CLIO Payments - use LAWPAY.

last year

Hi Julianna. I'm Jessica with the Clio team. We have our payment operations team ready to assist you in resolving this. Can you please provide me with your firm name and email address so I can locate your account? They'll get in touch from there. Thanks!

Jacob
Data and Reporting Analyst in US
Law Practice, 11–50 Employees

Clio at a mid-sized, full-service employment defense law firm.

Comments: Overall, Clio has been a good choice, and has increased our efficiency as a firm. Due to the sheer number of solutions that Clio provides, we have been able to unify many processes, and scale accordingly as our firm grows. Two years ago, Clio did not offer document management that was robust enough to compete with Dropbox, which is why we use a combination of the two for our practice. However, with Clio's development, if we were evaluating this today, we may have moved our document management to Clio as well.Clio has a lot of flexibility to cater to the processes you need, however, with flexibility does come work. It can take time to setup and upkeep continual maintenance. Lastly, I do want to mention the personnel at Clio. Due to my position, I have interfaced with a lot of personnel at software companies. To date, Clio's staff has been the easiest to work with. In general, they are always very pleasant to speak with, respectful, and interested in helping you.

Pros:

The Clio Manage product offers an excellent practice management tool with enough flexibility that we can continue to develop new solutions to any hurdles we face. Primarily, Clio has been instrumental in:-Time Tracking-Data Base Management - for clients, opposing counsel, judges, mediators, etc.-Case Management-Invoicing-Data Analytics - for performance metrics, financial projections, etc.

Cons:

Clio offers a lot of powerful solutions, but is not 100% comprehensive. Often, when Clio is missing a feature, support will add it to their list of "feature requests" to be implemented in the future. While I fully appreciate Clio actively working on new features, some of the roadblocks we have hit feel surprising considering the software is built for law firms. This is mentioned in a previous section, but one of our current issues is in our pre-bill review. When discounting line items, they must be discounted at a percentage, rather than a dollar amount, which was not a problem we had faced in previous software.

Peggy
Executive Director in US
Legal Services, 2–10 Employees

It Doesn't Get Better Than Clio!

Comments: My experience with CLIO (both the product and the company) has been phenomenal. I have zero complaints. Clio is the foundation of our client management system and is therefore essential to running my organization. Beyond the product itself, Clio's customer service is next level. The staff are friendly, competent, and client-focused. In the several years I have been interacting with Clio staff (in-person and virtually) I have NEVER been treated like a number, dismissed, or ignored. If the representative I am working with cannot address the issue, they hand me off to someone who can. This speaks volumes to the character of the staff and the quality of the company itself.

Pros:

What is not to LOVE about Clio? The platform itself is intuitive, efficient, and has become essential to effectively running my organization. Even features that have not been particularly relevant to my practice (non-profit sector) have either already been updated to be more relevant (Clio for Legal Aid) or are in the process of being updated. Beyond the practicalness of the product itself, Clio is a company that is visably devoted to their staff, clients, and mission. Passion for the practice of law is one thing, passion for the humans who choose to practice law is another. Clio's client-centered approach sets them apart from their competition in this regard.

Cons:

We have been using an ACCESS Database to process our claims (non-profit sector) for more than two decades. I would love to use the billing/invoice features offered through Clio but, they are not yet granular enough to fully transition us out of ACCESS.

Amy
Firm Administrator in US

Satisfied Clio user for 5+ years, recently purchased for additional firm

Comments: I am very satisfied with Clio as an online time management option. If you want/need to be 100% in-the-cloud, I would choose and recommend this program most highly to other firms. I prefer it to Bill4Time, CosmoLex, TimeSlips (not online). It also has things I like better than Prolaw (which also is not online). I don't use many of the advanced features Clio offers like integrations, Clio payments or even calendar, tasks because of the way may firms are set up. So, I can't speak to those features.

Pros:

I like Clio's simplicity and intuitiveness best. It really is the easiest time management program I have used. If you want to get up and running, like, literally, now, you can purchase Clio online with a push of a button and have open matters and clients/contact in minutes. I originally chose this product 5+ years ago for a small firm I manage, after looking at most of the online time management products on the market. I chose it specifically because it seemed the easiest in which to enter time. One of the attys I work with isn't great with a keyboard. Clio time entry required the least amount of effort, was the easiest to navigate and simplest to look at. But after using Clio, as well as, other online time management products (I manage a few small law firms), I really appreciate the easy of creating and EDITING invoices, which I do extensively at my firms. Lastly, I recently utilized Clio's FREE migration services to move from another online software, which I did not like. The migration took one hour on the phone, one day for them to migrate, and was pretty seamless! I've migrated data a few times (Prolaw and CosmoLex) and this was by FAR the easiest. The customer service is always great, even though I don't have to use it often because Clio is so simple to use.

Cons:

Only 1. I haven't mastered LEDES ebililng on Clio yet. At one of my firms, we do only LEDES98 ebilling. If you don't know what this is, stop reading, you will not experience this minor Con. I am having trouble perfecting the LEDES98 txt files and uploading them. Granted, this is my first month of e-billing on Clio at this firm, so I'm sure customer service will correct it for me. It's just that a few other time management programs I have used had no LEDES glitches and uploaded perfectly the first time. The price is also high for small firms. But all online billing programs are.