15 years helping Australian businesses

About Act-On

Act-On marketing automation software helps sales and marketing teams go beyond email marketing with the power of automation.

Learn more about Act-On

Pros:

Act-On was easy to implement and move into production, and the level of resources required for ongoing maintenance hasn't been bad at all.

Cons:

This was disappointing and one of the reasons we bought it. No improvements have been made recently.

Act-On ratings

4.1
4.3
4.1
3.9

7.8/10

Act-On has an overall rating of 4.3 out 5 stars based on 256 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Act-On before?

Jared
Jared
Marketing Specialist in US
Machinery, 10,000+ Employees

A very customizable software that allows us to carry out high-level marketing.

Comments: Since Act-On came to our company, we have noticed that we have had a positive impact on our clients, we have improved the attention to their needs, since we can segment clients, automate email advertising and maintain good advertising strategies with the help of the functionalities of this software.

Pros:

We like to use Act-On to have a bigger impact on our clients, the personalization is very good, it empowers our sales force, it keeps the marketing automated which allows us to maintain a good interaction with our clients, good detailed reports. It allows us to segment our clients to design specific marketing strategies.

Cons:

Our expectations with Act-On have been exceeded as we have increased our sales and customer acquisition, we have achieved good ROI with this software, the implementation was easy and it has great technical support.

Catherine
Sr. Marketing Manager in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Wonderful Product. Great Value, Amazing Results!

Comments: I've used Act-On for many years and enjoy the ease of use, their great metrics and the intuitive interface. This is a product I can't recommend enough. I use it daily and enjoy the automation as much as I enjoy the social publishing and email marketing abilities.

Pros:

Act-On is easy to use and great metrics!

Cons:

Nothing I'd change about this software!

5 years ago

Thanks for the great review, Catherine! We appreciate your feedback and are so happy you're a fan of Act-On. Cheers! Sarah

Abbie
Abbie
Director of Marketing in US
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Buyer Beware!! Not a sophisticated system in the least

Comments: The worst. Beware - do NOT fall for this "automation" system. Go with something that actually supports the workflow of marketers in 2018.

Pros:

Absolutely nothing. I came from using Pardot at my previous company and then was stuck with this poor excuse for an automation system for two years. Luckily we're in the process of switching back to Pardot at the moment.

Cons:

Pricing Model Not Built to Scale: They think that the "pay for contacts" pricing model is a pro, but it is not! For any marketer with a growing database this is a pure nightmare given that they are basically unresponsive when you need to add more contacts. We are actually currently in a situation where we can't get ANYONE to respond to help us add more contacts, which means that I cannot execute on a very large campaign that we were set to launch yesterday. Customer Service: As mentioned above, good luck getting anybody to actually call you back or fix your issues. If you have any level of sophistication in your marketing programs and automation, it's just a matter of when you're going to run into issues with Act-On, and half the time, they don't even know why the system doesn't work. I just got a call back a few days ago about a support ticket I submitted in JULY (it's October 18 right now). Product: Act-On does not have a contacts database. So if you need to look up a contact and see every list that they are on, every automation program they are in, or to manage their subscriptions or lists, you cannot. That's right - there is no way to globally search for a contact in Act-On. This is absurd. There is no way that you can call yourself an automation system in 2018 and not have this most basic of capabilities.

Bethany
Marketing Automation Manager in US
Education Management, 201–500 Employees

Act-on is an easy to use and robust marketing tool.

Comments: Our sales team is massively impressed with the capabilities and insights that Act-on provides through the integration with our CRM tool. We have been able to message leads with the right message at the right time easily and are able to have a hands off approach when it comes to funneling leads to our sales team. The value Act-on has added has been worth it.

Pros:

Most actions are very intuitive and the tool is easy to navigate.

Cons:

Our onboarding experience wasn't the best, but Act-on has since implemented a new onboarding process that involves thorough training and set-up. We went to the bootcamp later and we are pleased that Act-on now offers that at the kickoff for other customers.

5 years ago

Hi Bethany, Thank you for posting your review! We appreciate your feedback and love that you're a fan of Act-On! Cheers, Sarah

Kelsey
Kelsey
Ecommerce Specialist in US
Financial Services, 201–500 Employees

If you take advantage of all of its features, you will succeed.

Pros:

We chose Act-on as our marketing automation software because of its native integration with Salesforce, our CRM at the time. We made the move from Marketo, and Act-on has a much easier user interface. There were so many things we could track and do. We had great customer service, including weekly calls with a customer experience rep.

Cons:

Like most marketing automation software, the key to success is learning all of the ins and outs of the system, then create a strategy surrounding it. If you don't have someone on your team willing to take advantage of all of the features, the price might outweigh the benefit. Our customer experience rep could have helped more in overall strategy and campaign building, but they were incredibly busy, too busy to go in depth on those items. The team ended up moving to a simpler and cheaper product because they weren't taking advantage of everything Act-on had to offer.

6 years ago

Hi Kelsey, Thanks so much for posting your review. We're seeing a huge uptick in Credit Union customers as they're realizing what a game-changer marketing automation can be in their efforts to compete against big banks. We hope you'll reconsider Act-On in the future when your team is ready to take its marketing to the next level. We've got awesome boot camp trainings that can get users up to speed quickly. Good luck! Sarah

Srinivas
Srinivas
Sr. Digital Marketer in India
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Needs more improvement in UI and UX

Comments: its was an ok use software but not the best. I use hubspot now, try to replicate hubspot acton

Pros:

Less expensive, serves the purpose for a while not for long run

Cons:

ui and ux is very poor and navigation was not so friendly

Scott
Scott
Director of Marketing Operations and Technology in US
Publishing, 11–50 Employees

A Solid Marketing Automation Platform

Comments: We are a media publisher that used Act-On primarily for sending out marketing emails — about 20+ a month, supporting a white paper site, and hosting 2 webinars a month. Act-On made it super easy to set up and market webinars from the initial thought, through sending a copy of the webinar to attendees when done and every step along the way. I've used about 4 different marketing automation platforms and I can tell you that Act-On was by far the easiest to send email campaigns in, from initial email creation to sending.

Pros:

I liked that over the past four years I have worked with the product I have seen it grow leaps and bounds. They have a team that is dedicated to making smart improvements with the product.

Cons:

Like all products this isn't perfect. I had the most problems with our sales rep kept changing. Also, once in a blue moon a feature would change without proper notification.

6 years ago

Great to hear your feedback, Scott! Thanks for sharing. Please be sure to check out the Act-On User Community as another great resource for Act-On customers. https://community.act-on.com/home

Russell
Russell
HR Compliance Analyst in US
Banking, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Act-On's strengths are it's customizability and robust features.

Comments: Great piece of marketing and survey software. Very powerful and can have multiple uses in almost any organization.

Pros:

Act-On's back end really customizable and you're able to make your emails look exactly how you want. The landing pages you make are able to capture documents (like jpgs or PDFs) so participants can upload files making it really easy to download all the attachments along with their responses at once. I also appreciated the ability to schedule survey reminders to participants in advance and to cross check that with live results. This means that you could schedule a reminder to go out at 8AM tomorrow, but if someone completed the survey at 7:59AM, they wouldn't receive the reminder. Great feature.

Cons:

It's very admin and training heavy. The software is not intuitive and you need to setup the pieces of the survey/email first (I.e landing pages, contact list, etc) before you start working on the actual survey or email.

6 years ago

Hi Russell, Thanks for taking the time to post a review. It's great to hear about what you appreciate about Act-On and what we could improve upon. I encourage you to check out and leverage the Act-On User Community as a great resource for tips, tricks and troubleshooting. You can access it here: https://community.act-on.com/home Thanks again!

Dan
Dan
Project Manager in US
Computer Software, 201–500 Employees

Quick to Learn, Easy to Use

Comments: Overall, it's just been a good experience. I had to learn this software at the same time as a handful of others related to my new responsibilities, and this was definitely the easiest to pick up on.

Pros:

It didn't take long for me to learn how to use it, even without hands-on guidance. I primarily focus on a monthly campaign being sent to a massive group of clients, and I was able to refer to past ones created by my predecessor as a standard template. Designing is a very simple processes.

Cons:

I didn't like the reporting at first, but, now that I better understand the information I being provided, it's better.

5 years ago

Hi Dan, Thanks for being an Act-On enthusiast and posting a review! We love your feedback. Cheers, Sarah

Nikki
Nikki
Aviation Marketing Coordinator in US
Design, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Seamless integration with a CRM system

Comments: Act-On simplifies marketing automation, enhances time management, enables precise tracking, and efficiently strengthens collaboration with our CRM

Pros:

Act-On has proven to be a valuable tool in optimizing my marketing efforts in the aviation industry. Efficient task automation has freed up my time, allowing me to focus on more creative strategies and high-quality content generation.

Cons:

While Act-On offers customization, some advanced features may require deeper technical skills.

Manu
Account Director in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Agree with recent Forrester Wave Report

Comments: I started out using Marketo years ago and while I was a power user and loved the depth of features, others in the company found it to be complex and most could use it for only the basics. I moved on to Pardot and I really liked it, and I even attended their user conference three years ago in Atlanta - which unfortunately, was when they pass along the news to customer that they have been acquired and would end up Salesforce's portfolio. Pardot was moved into their Sales Cloud (and ExactTarget went to the Marketing Cloud), and the result has been, other than some UI improvements, almost no innovation at all... and a major rise in costs, where it's extra for phone support, they charge for Salesforce Engage, they charge for Wave Analytics, etc. etc. Meanwhile, Act-On has been the steady player in the market that has continued to advance - and you see that in Forrester's Q4 2014 Wave report where Act-On moved to the upper, Leader quadrant ahead of Pardot and HubSpot (though, I'd say that HubSpot has always been more "Movement-First" versus "Product-First" where they invest more in their marketing then their marketing features, particularly with their focus on their CRM now). Act-On received a large round of investment money, brought in loads of new talent on the executive team and down, and continue to push out new features faster than others on the market. They were first to launch Account-based Marketing, their Social tools are very advanced (Forrester scored them higher than HubSpot for example), built Data Studio that allows us to push to our BI easily (Tableau), they overhauled all of their composers (email, landing page and forms), added dynamic content & personalization features, and added a unique way to create Program Templates that is awesome and now have a growing library of templates you can grab and use that build out all the nurture program steps for you automatically (including sales alerts, CRM campaign updates, basic or advanced if/then scenarios, etc.). I've always thought that price should not be a big driving factor for which tool to use. But, their Active Contacts model allows you to pay for what you use, versus the size of your database - and where Marketo and Pardot are adding more modules, Act-On includes everything in their Enterprise edition. And their Support is also fantastic. Don't be fooled. This is an advanced tool that medium and large companies are using.

Pros:

Sincerely easier to use than others on the market, great overall feature set, love the dynamic content options, program templates were a game changer, account-based marketing provides visibility into how programs are doing at the Account-level that we haven't had.

Cons:

The UI is slowly being overhauled but I'd like to see this go faster. Their out-of-box reports aren't great, but I haven't run across a marketing automation platform who has great reporting (I do like Marketo's Opportunity Analyzer report) and we use Data Studio to simply pull data out the way we want it to populate our reports in excel or Tableau

Robin
Business Development Specialist in US
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Act-On helps me stay organized and save time.

Comments: When Act-On is working smoothly, I am able to keep in contact with my prospects, to know what they are looking at and what interests them as well as to determine how I need to send communications to them. The insight that Act-On provides into the life of the leads is very helpful by allowing me to stay organized and save time.

Pros:

With Act-On's Activity History, I am able to view a Timeline that helps to keep me organized so I know what I may still need to send and so that I have a good idea about whether or not my prospects are getting communications that they should. Sometimes, with email blasts emails may not get through an organization's spam filter, but using the Activity History and Timeline in Act-On and testing by sending things through Act-On Anywhere in Outlook help to determine who need to receive emails alternate ways.

Cons:

Often times, maintenance and issues are not brought to our attention prior to us having issues with the software not working or causing issues with our campaigns. Having warnings in advance of when maintenance is being done or of possible known issues so that we can watch for them and be prepared would help a great deal.

6 years ago

Hi Robin, Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We really appreciate it. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to join the Act-On user Community. It's a great place to connect with fellow marketers, submit product enhancement and feature suggestions, as well as share best practices. https://community.act-on.com/ideation-home Happy marketing!

Diana
Customer Service & Marketing in Mexico
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Best Marketing Automation Tool ever!

Comments: Coming from no experience at all, to being able to automate programs and have all the detailed information and reporting on them is a huge step for me. I've been using other Marketing Automation platforms also, but they are just to complicated.
Act-On is very user-friendly and easy to use, learn and understand, and also has very detailed step-by-step guides to every feature they offer, besides the courses you can go over at their University.
Customer support is always there to help and very effective.

Pros:

That you can do everything in one place, you don't need to code anything, (it is useful if you want to improve features or personalize a little bit more, but really not necessary) all modules are easy to use. You have Social Media, Automation, Reporting, Scoring, detailed contact information, connectors, etc.

Cons:

I think that lists could be updated a bit, like being able to sort by any of the columns. I don't like that they don't have a connector for Instagram and only to webinar options.

5 years ago

Hi Diana, Thanks so much for your positive review! We love your feedback and are so glad you're an Act-On enthusiast. Cheers! Sarah

Emma
Sales Executive in UK
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Daily Act-On User

Comments: It is an excellent tool to use whilst prospecting and almost provided you with 'warm' leads, especially when they return to your website and look at product details etc.

Pros:

The only feature I use is to see who has been on our website. You are able to see who has been on your website and what links they have clicked on. Works really well when sending out speculative mails. You are able to see who actually looks at your mails and who has a genuine interest when they click further into links.

Cons:

On occasions you can see someone has been on the website, but can't track down who (as no IP address present) I understand this may be security measures their end and there is no way of ever knowing. I have real issues linking ActOn with my Outlook mail.

5 years ago

Thanks for the feedback, Emma!

Josh
Account-Based Marketing Specialist in US
Financial Services, 51–200 Employees

Great tool starting out but has some minor flaws

Comments: It's a great tool starting out but I think in the long-run you would need another option. If you're looking for a pretty simple, effective marketing automation platform that syncs with Salesforce easily and can do some pretty advanced things, this is a great option but may not be the best if you're looking to do advanced tactics.

Pros:

- The simplicity of the interface and overall product - Creating email programs is a nice drag and drop style - Pretty advanced options in creating a program - Salesforce sync is nice when building out lists. Being able to save syncing preferences is a great option that reduces time. - Don't have to know HTML or CSS to use - Nice Inbound section for SEO, paid ads, and website visits (if you're doing ABM you can see what companies are coming to your site).

Cons:

- The platform for us is really slow. We have a lot of emails going out and it can really slow down the entire platform, which can be frustrating. - Segmenting within a program not that great - Adding multiple IF branches almost break the entire platform. Clicking on one segment to change can take 10 seconds to load the drop-down menu. - The menu can get really confusing at times - Knowledge-base is nonexistent. I can never find any resource from Act-On that helps with problems I encounter. I have to email or call them every time. - Can't dive into reports (at least in my account). I can see an overall report but I can't dive into specific campaigns, lists or by time period.

6 years ago

Hi Josh, Thanks for taking the time to post your review. We really appreciate your honest feedback and always strive to improve the product. Thanks again, Sarah

Abby
Vice President
Computer Software, 51–200 Employees

Act-On Worth The Marketing Dollars

Comments: Act-On is one of the best values for what you get in regards to marketing automation systems. It is worth the cost.

Pros:

Act-On is an easy to use marketing automation platform. I've used Marketo in the past, and Act-On was much simpler and user friendly. Over the last 2 to 3 years they've enhanced the look and feel of the product only for the better. But perhaps the portion of Act-On that I like the most is the support. They offer top tier support. It actually might be some of the best support I've had for a SaaS offering.

Cons:

I do wish they had a few more options around landing pages. Unfortunately, HubSpot blows them out of the water on this feature.

Sarah
Marketing Manager in US
Hospitality, 2–10 Employees

Would Recommend For Basic Marketing Needs

Comments: Act-On has supplied us with a platform to create quality looking emails and marketing materials with ease.

Pros:

Act-On is an extremely easy to use software. It is mapped out in a user friendly fashion to where you feel you are utilizing as much as possible from the program.

Cons:

We have encountered a few deliverability issues with sending our email campaigns and I've felt that at times Act-Ons customer service has not always been the most responsible or understanding. They provide help but not necessarily in correlation with the severity of the matter.

4 years ago

Hi Sarah. Thanks so much for your feedback. We really appreciate it. I've flagged your deliverability concerns for your Account Manager who can follow up and connect you with our Deliverability Services pros. They should be able to help. Thanks! Sarah

Fergus
Partner in US
Management Consulting, 11–50 Employees

BEWARE of their non-cancelable contracts!

Comments: AVOID these guys at all cost. The ux is poor and you'll need a dedicated in house resource to learn and operate a sub-optimal system.

Pros:

Sales team will be all over you prior to signing. That should have been a sign to run. Truly a poor and deceitful software company

Cons:

Read the contract carefully. They include an auto-renewal clause that is non-cancelable. They will not notify you at all when the contract renewal is coming up and automatically lock you into a full year which they won't let you cancel. As a small business testing out systems this is horrible. They should at least notify customers of upcoming renewals. We had stopped using the software as months before and forgot about it until we starting seeing $ charges to the company. When we tried to cancel they refused and sent the account to a collection agency...well done Act-on. Any world class software company doesn't try to trick clients into sticking with them. Provide a valuable service and clients will gladly stick with you.....when Adobe, Microsoft, and Google all allow you to adjust subscriptions and drop subscriptions to services not being used at any time.

Alec
Project Coordinator in US
Building Materials, 201–500 Employees

Good in theory, however too unstable

Comments: It provides numerous ways of tracking repeat customers and sorting through leads to help me contact the people most likely to purchase.

Pros:

Act-on is a great software to use in order to gather an account's history with the company. I'm able to access form submissions, browsing history as well as customer preferences, and set up alerts any time a customer returns. The functionality of Act-on makes it one of my most used pieces of software in my day-to-day work and I'd be extremely less effective without it.

Cons:

Long story short, Act-on doesn't always like to work. almost daily there seems to be some sort of hiccup and I (and others in my company) are unable to use it. It seems that countless requests to customer support don't help either. Act-on would be almost perfect, however its support and stability make it more of a headache than it should be.

Elliott
Elliott
Senior Web Developer in US
Marketing & Advertising, 11–50 Employees

Blagh!

Comments: Their sales department is good at selling this product, the reality is that it's not very good.

Pros:

We started using this as an alternative to similar features in SalesForce. It does have a ton of features and integrates with many other systems.

Cons:

We've had nothing but trouble with this since the beginning. Even after two years we still have random issues (services disconnecting) which can take hours to repair. The bulk emails we send from Act-On consistently end up in spam folders and customer support gives us the run around about how to fix it, usually we end up spending hours just to prove to them that this is actually happening.

6 years ago

Hi Elliott, Thanks for your feedback. I'm sorry you've been frustrated. I would encourage you to attend our upcoming deliverability webinar on November 15th. You'll learn best practices for ensuring your emails land in inboxes. You may register here: https://success.act-on.com/acton/fs/blocks/showLandingPage/a/9883/p/p-0630/t/page/fm/0 I would also encourage you to check out the Act-On User Community as well. It's a great resource for users to share tips and tricks. https://community.act-on.com/home

Marketing & Advertising, 2–10 Employees

All the features & exceptional service without overpaying

Comments: I'm impressed overall with the Act-On team and I am a client advocate. I <3 AO!

Pros:

I like that I am able to have all the functionality I require in a marketing automation tool without overpaying. It is important to me that I can use as much or as little of the software as I need. It's very robust and provides connectors and performance in outbound social and email, scoring, competitive insights, just like it's competitors but without paying for a Farrarri.

Cons:

Sometimes I find that I don't understand the handling of cases/issues I bring forward and I get a little frustrated and don't end up with solutions. Sometimes, that's bcs I didn't see an email but I sometimes don't get closure and I wish there was better communication about that aspect.

6 years ago

Thanks so much for posting a review. We love your enthusiasm and appreciate your feedback.!

Tom
US
Used the Software for: Not provided

Comments: We specifically communicate with the C-Suite and particularly with the CEO or President of our clients. It's a relationship-selling process and a one-to-one marketing environment with the most difficult demographics imaginable. We needed a marketing automation platform to track visits to our website from various sources: print campaigns, event follow-up, quarterly articles, etc. Before Act-On we had no software solution. We have an enterprise account. The implementation was extremely easy, and integration with salesforce was not too complicated or messy. We had a lot of data scrubbing to do on our end before things were working correctly. It took about 30 days and Act-On was really helpful. Act-On is very easy to use; it only took us a few days after our initial conference call with the support/training group to send out our first campaign. Customer support is very responsive and thorough. I was having difficulty getting one particular form to do what I wanted it to do, but after a quick chat with our support representative (we have our own dedicated account executive and support person) I was creating landing pages left and right. We can see results in near-real-time! (just hit the refresh button and wala!) It's great to have reports that track everything that our executives can understand and show where marketing is making an impact. It's very difficult to tie in marketing to sales a lot of the time, but we can show where a specific individual landed on our site after a campaign or email, and see what their behavior is. After seeing the pages they landed on, we can issue a request for a follow-up call and direct the sales team to what topics might be of interest to the prospect.

Stephanie
Stephanie
Marketing Specialist in US
Research, 51–200 Employees

I use this software regularly (almost every day) for work as a marketing specialist.

Pros:

Building mailings is relatively straightforward. There are a decent amount of functions that allow us to customize our mailings in different ways based on content and branding for our various campaigns.

Cons:

The sorting and filtering functions for sent mailings isn't very robust. The mailing builder is actually really quite finicky sometimes. Adding borders around image blocks causes extra white space around mailings. Also, buttons and other smaller elements render differently in the mailing builder than in Outlook, which is one of the primary email clients people use. Mailings end up looking less polished in Outlook.

6 years ago

Hi Stephanie, Thanks for posting your review. We really appreciate your honest feedback and take it to heart. Best, Sarah

Broadcast Media, 201–500 Employees

Excellent service without needed to hire more staff

Comments: Excellent customer service, fantastic training program, continued support

Pros:

Ease of use, integration into company process, no need to hire more staff to manage the program

Cons:

Not as many integrations as available as other platforms, but not necessarily holding us back.

5 years ago

Thanks so much for the great feedback! We love hearing from customers and appreciate that you took the time to post a review. Cheers!

Amy
US
Used the Software for: Not provided

Comments: When it came to a marketing automation solution, our organization took the Goldilocks approach: First, we tried Pardot and found that it really didn't deliver what we were looking for. Their lack of lead attribution functionality just didn't work for us. We wanted to be able to connect the dots on sales and marketing touches but ultimately know which touch landed us the business. The process that Pardot defined for us meant that we had to add several steps to our own process. It was not what we expected out of an automated program. Second, we tried Marketo and found that it was overwhelmingly complicated. Again, not what we expected out of an automated system. Not only was it complicated to set up campaigns, but it was also complicated to get some assistance if we ran into a problem. We'd have to put in a ticket, call to follow up, wait for someone to get back to us and then wait for them to hear back from overseas trainers and developers to get back to them so they could circle back around to us. Several times, we were told that we needed to pay for some additional add-on or additional training. Finally, we moved to Act-On and they have been "just right." Our implementation was a breeze, and the software does exactly what we want it to do - and then some. As with any new software, we had questions and user issues, etc. but the Act-On crew was always there with answers - sometimes within minutes of us contacting them! The software is great, but what makes Act-On different is their team. It's comforting to know that we have advocates there that really want us to succeed.