Act-On Reviews

by Act-On Software

• Overall
    4.3 /5
    4.1 /5
    4.3 /5

About Act-On

Act-On is a growth marketing automation leader that offers solutions for marketers to engage targets throughout the customer lifecycle.

Learn more about Act-On

Scott S.
Director of Marketing Operations and Technology
Publishing, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 10/09/2018

"A Solid Marketing Automation Platform"

Comments: We are a media publisher that used Act-On primarily for sending out marketing emails — about 20+ a month, supporting a white paper site, and hosting 2 webinars a month. Act-On made it super easy to set up and market webinars from the initial thought, through sending a copy of the webinar to attendees when done and every step along the way. I've used about 4 different marketing automation platforms and I can tell you that Act-On was by far the easiest to send email campaigns in, from initial email creation to sending.

Pros: I liked that over the past four years I have worked with the product I have seen it grow leaps and bounds. They have a team that is dedicated to making smart improvements with the product.

Cons: Like all products this isn't perfect. I had the most problems with our sales rep kept changing. Also, once in a blue moon a feature would change without proper notification.

by Act-On Software on 21/09/2018

Great to hear your feedback, Scott! Thanks for sharing. Please be sure to check out the Act-On User Community as another great resource for Act-On customers. https://community.act-on.com/home

Kelsey D.
Ecommerce Specialist
Financial Services, 201-500 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/08/2018

"If you take advantage of all of its features, you will succeed."

Pros: We chose Act-on as our marketing automation software because of its native integration with Salesforce, our CRM at the time. We made the move from Marketo, and Act-on has a much easier user interface. There were so many things we could track and do. We had great customer service, including weekly calls with a customer experience rep.

Cons: Like most marketing automation software, the key to success is learning all of the ins and outs of the system, then create a strategy surrounding it. If you don't have someone on your team willing to take advantage of all of the features, the price might outweigh the benefit. Our customer experience rep could have helped more in overall strategy and campaign building, but they were incredibly busy, too busy to go in depth on those items. The team ended up moving to a simpler and cheaper product because they weren't taking advantage of everything Act-on had to offer.

by Act-On Software on 08/08/2018

Hi Kelsey,
Thanks so much for posting your review. We're seeing a huge uptick in Credit Union customers as they're realizing what a game-changer marketing automation can be in their efforts to compete against big banks.

We hope you'll reconsider Act-On in the future when your team is ready to take its marketing to the next level. We've got awesome boot camp trainings that can get users up to speed quickly.

Good luck!

• Reviewed on 06/08/2018
Amy S.
Director of Marketing
Telecommunications, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 05/08/2017

"Invaluable Marketing Asset"

Pros: Act-On is a robust, yet easy-to-use solution that combines multiple marketing applications into one. It has been a workhorse for us. While it can serve more than a dozen vital functions, including social media management and ABM, I most appreciate its integration with our CRM system (Microsoft Dynamics 365) and how it can be used to automate nurture programs, score leads based on behavior/engagement, and monitor web site visitor activity. I’m also very impressed by members of the tech support team who are very patient and have bailed us out of an after hours pinch more than once.

Cons: Keeping up with the constant evolution of Act-On is a full-time job. I often feel like we’re 5 steps behind in understanding newly released features and everything it can do. Of course, that’s a good problem. My only true critique is that the organization seems to have gone through some growing pains and lost its personal touch along the way. When I first selected and implemented Act-On at my previous company 4 years ago, I felt like our sales rep and implementation team were truly invested in our success. I was so impressed by the product and Act-On’s customer success team that I implemented it again at my next company and recommended it to several peers. However, faces began to change quickly, and we had 3 different reps in the same year. Our new contacts were less interested in our success and more interested in what we could do for them. One became obsessed with recruiting our company as a reseller. Things have settled down, but I don’t feel like they value our business as much as they once did.

• Reviewed on 05/08/2017
Manu G.
Account Director
  • Reviewed on 23/11/2016

"Agree with recent Forrester Wave Report"

Comments: I started out using Marketo years ago and while I was a power user and loved the depth of features, others in the company found it to be complex and most could use it for only the basics. I moved on to Pardot and I really liked it, and I even attended their user conference three years ago in Atlanta - which unfortunately, was when they pass along the news to customer that they have been acquired and would end up Salesforce's portfolio. Pardot was moved into their Sales Cloud (and ExactTarget went to the Marketing Cloud), and the result has been, other than some UI improvements, almost no innovation at all... and a major rise in costs, where it's extra for phone support, they charge for Salesforce Engage, they charge for Wave Analytics, etc. etc. Meanwhile, Act-On has been the steady player in the market that has continued to advance - and you see that in Forrester's Q4 2014 Wave report where Act-On moved to the upper, Leader quadrant ahead of Pardot and HubSpot (though, I'd say that HubSpot has always been more "Movement-First" versus "Product-First" where they invest more in their marketing then their marketing features, particularly with their focus on their CRM now). Act-On received a large round of investment money, brought in loads of new talent on the executive team and down, and continue to push out new features faster than others on the market. They were first to launch Account-based Marketing, their Social tools are very advanced (Forrester scored them higher than HubSpot for example), built Data Studio that allows us to push to our BI easily (Tableau), they overhauled all of their composers (email, landing page and forms), added dynamic content & personalization features, and added a unique way to create Program Templates that is awesome and now have a growing library of templates you can grab and use that build out all the nurture program steps for you automatically (including sales alerts, CRM campaign updates, basic or advanced if/then scenarios, etc.). I've always thought that price should not be a big driving factor for which tool to use. But, their Active Contacts model allows you to pay for what you use, versus the size of your database - and where Marketo and Pardot are adding more modules, Act-On includes everything in their Enterprise edition. And their Support is also fantastic. Don't be fooled. This is an advanced tool that medium and large companies are using.

Pros: Sincerely easier to use than others on the market, great overall feature set, love the dynamic content options, program templates were a game changer, account-based marketing provides visibility into how programs are doing at the Account-level that we haven't had.

Cons: The UI is slowly being overhauled but I'd like to see this go faster. Their out-of-box reports aren't great, but I haven't run across a marketing automation platform who has great reporting (I do like Marketo's Opportunity Analyzer report) and we use Data Studio to simply pull data out the way we want it to populate our reports in excel or Tableau

• Reviewed on 23/11/2016
Rick J.
Process Consultant
Insurance, 10,000+ Employees

"ActOn -- act on it!"

Comments: ActOn allows me to get important professional messaging out to my target audience in a timely basis. I am impressed with their can-do customer support team. They always help me figure out a solution to building content. The software wear offers so much in terms of content marketing, form building and automated drip campaign functionality. The email content reporting and tracking is also very good.

Pros: I think you will find ActOn easy to use. I can quickly develop an email and define a target list and send as easily to 10 people or 100,000 people. I also like the reporting and graphs associated with a campaign. I also find the Form editor very valuable b/c I can quickly create a business need survey in a matter of minutes for my internal customers. The responses are easy to analyze b/c they are in spreadsheet form.

Cons: ActOn recently rolled out a new forms editor and they did not bring over the reporting URL feature from the Classic Form editor...this would make it easier for my internal customers to pull data vs having me pull the data for them.

by Act-On Software on 11/09/2018

Hi Rick,
Thanks so much for posting your review!
We appreciate your candor and will share your feedback with the product team. They continually work to improve Act-On for customers like you.
All the best,

Robin D.
Business Development Specialist
  • Reviewed on 07/09/2018

"Act-On helps me stay organized and save time."

Comments: When Act-On is working smoothly, I am able to keep in contact with my prospects, to know what they are looking at and what interests them as well as to determine how I need to send communications to them. The insight that Act-On provides into the life of the leads is very helpful by allowing me to stay organized and save time.

Pros: With Act-On's Activity History, I am able to view a Timeline that helps to keep me organized so I know what I may still need to send and so that I have a good idea about whether or not my prospects are getting communications that they should. Sometimes, with email blasts emails may not get through an organization's spam filter, but using the Activity History and Timeline in Act-On and testing by sending things through Act-On Anywhere in Outlook help to determine who need to receive emails alternate ways.

Cons: Often times, maintenance and issues are not brought to our attention prior to us having issues with the software not working or causing issues with our campaigns. Having warnings in advance of when maintenance is being done or of possible known issues so that we can watch for them and be prepared would help a great deal.

by Act-On Software on 12/09/2018

Hi Robin,
Thanks for taking the time to post a review. We really appreciate it. If you haven't already, I would encourage you to join the Act-On user Community. It's a great place to connect with fellow marketers, submit product enhancement and feature suggestions, as well as share best practices. https://community.act-on.com/ideation-home
Happy marketing!

Grace L.
Director of marketing
  • Reviewed on 20/03/2018

"Budget-friendly marketing automation that does what we need"

Comments: We've worked with Act-on for more than three years and have appreciated what it accomplishes for us. Customer service has always been responsive, as well. If you can't necessarily affort one of the major players in the market, Act-on is a great alternative.

Pros: The automated programs make staying in touch with customers and prospects very easy. You can set up quite complicated programs that incorporate not only emails to the target audience but that also notify internal staff and other functions.

Cons: It's not as complete as some other systems. For instance, the website info you can get is not super detailed or useful. As well, connecting with a CRM that isn't already integrated is not a simple task.

• Reviewed on 20/03/2018
Faisal K.
Financial Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/06/2018

"The Best Marketing Automation Tool"

Comments: Highly recommended, this is the second company in which i have worked for and implemented Act-On. This is my go to marketing automation tool.

Pros: I have used and reviewed many tools, but i will say Act-On is my favorite. Easy to use, and the best customer service of any of it's competitors.

Cons: The email builder works great but does not live up to my requirements. I wish you could get more advanced with designs.

by Act-On Software on 23/07/2018

Hi Faisal,
Thanks so much for posting your review. We are thrilled that you are happy and having a positive experience with Act-On.

I would encourage you to check out the Act-On user community at https://community.act-on.com/ It's a great place to share your product requests and suggestions and learn from other marketers.

• Reviewed on 28/06/2018
Sarah H.
Hospitality, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 14/01/2020

"Would Recommend For Basic Marketing Needs"

Comments: Act-On has supplied us with a platform to create quality looking emails and marketing materials with ease.

Pros: Act-On is an extremely easy to use software. It is mapped out in a user friendly fashion to where you feel you are utilizing as much as possible from the program.

Cons: We have encountered a few deliverability issues with sending our email campaigns and I've felt that at times Act-Ons customer service has not always been the most responsible or understanding. They provide help but not necessarily in correlation with the severity of the matter.

by Act-On Software on 06/02/2020

Hi Sarah.
Thanks so much for your feedback. We really appreciate it. I've flagged your deliverability concerns for your Account Manager who can follow up and connect you with our Deliverability Services pros. They should be able to help.
Thanks!

• Reviewed on 14/01/2020
Luke E.
Law Practice, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 29/04/2019

"Over-promising and under-delivering are key traits of Act-On"

Comments: Overall I would give Act-On a low pass. The issues with customer service, slightly overpriced and the lack of proper development plagued my experience. If I could go back, I would have used HubSpot or Marketo. At the moment, we have cancelled our Act-On account after 3-4 years and are using a stack of SaaS solutions tied into our practice management system. This is far more cost efficient, easy to use and with better customer service. My advice would be for businesses considering using Act-On due to the price of the above-mentioned competitors to use a stack approach instead of using this system. Using Vision6/Campaign Monitor/MailChimp in tandem with a better landing page provider (Unbounce, Instapage) linked to a CRM would be far better. Stay away, particulalry due to the service - this is even more important for Australian based consumers.

Pros: The system was pretty easy to use. The set-up process for lead nurturing, forms, creating newsletters and other tools were pretty useful.

Cons: Customer service, account limits, aesthetics were below average. The customer service was woeful, the original salesperson who on-boarded me and two referral partners promised the world features wise. Lots of nice looking mocks and promises were made yet nothing provided. On the customer service side of things, on two occasions when the unique contacts and email limit was exceeded the entire system shuts-down. All nurturing campaigns cease and there is no ability to send any emails at all. It took two weeks for someone to be able to apply a temporary increase to allow our marketing efforts to continue.

• Reviewed on 29/04/2019
Jessica R.
Marketing Spcialist
Hospitality, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/09/2018

"Easy to use"

Comments: Everyone I have spoken to from account manger, tech support and engineers for trouble shooting any problem that we have have been really helpful. They have always figured out a way to fix the problem especially with our really complex list that we have.

Pros: Act-On is easy to use especially if you know a bit of html knowledge. When designing you can even go into the code and alter it a bit if you know any html. The designs come out nice and clean and you can always work around any issues that comes up.

Cons: When designing emails and your using tables and have the image set to the max pixel you have to alter the code for it to display on mobile devices.

by Act-On Software on 21/09/2018

Thanks for your review, Jessica! So glad you're finding value in Act-On and that you've found our team has been friendly and helpful.

Happy marketing!

• Reviewed on 13/09/2018
  • Reviewed on 11/09/2018

"Great product"

Comments: Act-On is a mainstay of my marketing team. If I could keep only one product or service it would be Act-On. Great team behind it in my experience.

Pros: Good set of features and functions. Good product team and exciting roadmap. Easy to implement.

Cons: Onboarding could have been better (but that was some time ago now and I know they have improved it). Feature request facility feels like a black hole at times!

by Act-On Software on 21/09/2018

Great to hear your feedback, thank you!
Do check out the Act-On User Community for more great resources and training tools. You'll find it here: https://community.act-on.com/home

• Reviewed on 11/09/2018
Sara M.
Marketing Coordinator
Writing & Editing, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 27/02/2019

"Easy to use"

Comments: Overall great experience with the platform. The ease makes the biggest difference.

Pros: Very simple user interface. With a team spread out across the country, there was no problem in teaching everyone how to use this platform. Really like that I can schedule out my email for time zones, that is a great feature.

Cons: Sometimes painfully slow to run. Also, help desk would take a long time to respond to a request that would be marked as urgent. While I understand a small company is not biggest fish to fry, it would be nice to have responses within an hour if marked urgent during normal business hours.

by Act-On Software on 26/03/2019

Thanks for your feedback, Sara. We've made recent updates that have greatly improved the speed and performance of the platform. The Act-On User Community is another great resource for your questions, tips, tricks, and best practices. You can access it here: https://community.act-on.com/home

• Reviewed on 27/02/2019
Alfred W.
CRM Manager
Electrical/Electronic Manufacturing, 10,000+ Employees
  • Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2019

"If уоu wаnt tо hаvе а suссеssful busіnеss, уоu nееd Aсt-On"

Pros: I’m а рart оf а sаlеs аnd mаrkеtіng tеаm, аnd wе hіghlу аррrесіаtе thіs sоftwаrе. It hеlрs us соunt еvеrуоnе, whо vіsіts оur wеb раgе, іnсludіng sіgn-іn сustоmеrs аnd аnоnуmоus vіsіtоrs. Nоw wе саn еаsіlу sеt uр аutоmаtеd рrоgrаms, whісh mаkеs оur wоrkflоw sіmрlеr аnd smооthеr. Lаstlу, thе сustоmеr suрроrt іs tеrrіfіс.

Cons: Lіkе аnу рrоduсt, thіs оnе іs not реrfесt. Fоr іnstаnсе, уоu nееd tо gеt fаmіlіаr wіth thіs арр bеfоrе уоu dесіdе tо usе іt. Othеrwіsе, іt іs еаsу tо mаkе mіstаkеs аnd sеt uр wrоng аlgоrіthms. Yоu аlsо nееd tо mоnіtоr thіs арр rеgulаrlу, bесаusе sоmеtіmеs sеttіngs wіll аutоmаtісаllу сhаngе wіthоut рrореr nоtіfісаtіоn.

• Source: GetApp
  • Reviewed on 14/02/2019
Official Member
Civic & Social Organization, 11-50 Employees

"A repeat customer"

Comments: Act-On allows us to do some next level segmentation and marketing.

Pros: Act-On has been my go-to solution for the last 5 years. They may not be as well known as some, but they offer great value and a deep bench of functionality. Incredibly innovative too.

Cons: Customer service has gone through hiccups of late

by Act-On Software on 21/09/2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate it and love hearing from customers. Please check out the Act-On User Community for more resources. It's a great place to exchange best practices. https://community.act-on.com/home

Brian W.
Airlines/Aviation, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/03/2019

"Good alternative for Pardot, but not as comprehensive"

Pros: Act-On is great for most tasks. I can create emails, forms, and drip campaigns with ease. It syncs really easily to Salesforce and I haven't seen a single issue with that yet.

Cons: It's not as comprehensive and contemporary as some platforms. The forms aren't dynamic, and the emails are in a modular form instead of an easier drag-and-drop format.

by Act-On Software on 14/03/2019

Hi Brian,
Thanks for taking the time to share a review on Act-On. We really appreciate your feedback.
If you haven't done so already, I'd encourage you to check out the Act-On User Community for great tips, tricks and best practicing sharing. https://community.act-on.com/home
Thanks!

• Reviewed on 12/03/2019
Digital Marketing Manager
  • Reviewed on 06/09/2018

"A 2nd tier product in the race of Marketing Automation"

Comments: In my experience with using Pardot, Marketo, Hubspot, and Act-On (email marketing only solutions such as MailChimp and Constant Contact as well...), Act-On is still playing catch-up with the bigger, more enterprise companies in terms of technical capabilities. Its support system is great, however.

Pros: Support team, the fact that Act-On is growing quickly

Cons: Inability to sort information on the platform itself, rigid reporting and display of data, certain key functions that should be given to everyone are add-ons, has no predictive, real-time adjustment, automated insights, multi-channel marketing funnel value analysis, etc. yet.

by Act-On Software on 11/09/2018

Thanks for posting your review. We value your feedback and share it with the product team so that we can continue to improve Act-On to be the best it can be.

• Reviewed on 06/09/2018
Michael D.
Real Estate, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/05/2019

"Act-On Review"

Pros: The ease of reporting and how well it integrates with Salesforce

Cons: the customer service can take a while to resolve an issue

by Act-On Software on 22/05/2019

Hi Michael,
Thanks so much for posting a review for Act-On. We really appreciate your feedback. We've recently added chat support as an additional channel for help. Initial feedback has been very positive. Check it out... https://university.act-on.com/Your_Account/Act-On_Support/Contacting_Act-On_Support

• Reviewed on 21/05/2019
Mary R.
Communications Manager
Utilities, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/09/2017

"Use act-on daily for email marketing, segmenting and landing pages"

Comments: It makes sending emails efficient and pulling segments easy for someone that doesn't have a lot of technical background.

Pros: Basic functions are easy to use,. Setting up automating and more advanced functions are tricky. But resources available help.

Cons: Sometimes have issues with saving a draft and then going back and my changes weren't saved. Also the drafts don't automatically save so I've accidentally shut down and lost my work. It would be better if it auto saved every so often.

• Reviewed on 07/09/2017
Meloyde B.
  • Reviewed on 01/11/2013

Comments: Act-On is one of the most powerful - yet intuitive - marketing and lead nurturing software tools I've come across. I implemented Act-On for a large accounting firm who is one of our clients and needed better tools to nurture their prospects in a long-term complex sales cycle. In selling professional services - or in many other businesses where a decision to purchase is made over a matter of months or even years - it's necessary to keep prospects engaged in a relevant way. With Act-On, you can use their powerful email, list management, web visitor tracking, and lead scoring tools to nurture prospects and score their engagement based on behavioral criteria you establish. Then when the prospect gets to a certain level of engagement, you have the opportunity to have a sales conversation at the right time. The information it provides gives you actionable results instead of just meaningless numbers. In addition to the powerful tools, Act-On is very easy to use and intuitive. And the customer support was outstanding; at times, they were reaching out to me, asking me if I needed anything or if I had seen new features that were introduced, etc. All of this comes in a package that's pretty reasonably priced for the level of features it provides, and there's no long-term commitment. Overall, it's enabled my client to better see which prospects are engaging and at what level and to get better analytics on how effective their website, emails, events and other activities are working.

• Reviewed on 01/11/2013
Teaching Assistant
  • Reviewed on 28/11/2017

"Act-On Is A Great Tool For Marketing Attribution"

Comments: Act-On is perfect for businesses of all sizes and allows you to monitor website visitors and traffic!

Pros: To be able to tell where your potential leads and clients come from is a very helpful thing. Act-On gives me that ability!

Cons: It would be most helpful if Act-On could really provide a true attribution for where a website visitor came, especially related to Google searches.

• Reviewed on 28/11/2017
Simon O.
Marketing Analyst
Banking, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2018

"FANTASTIC MARKETING AUTOMATION APPLICATION"

Pros: Act-On is a very good marketing automation software. It helps my organization in selling our products and services through digital platforms like email, facebook, other social media platforms.

Cons: It's a little difficult for non professionals to use. However, it a perfect marketing automated software for medium size organizations.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2018
Lara S.
Marketing Coordinator
Marketing & Advertising, 501-1,000 Employees
  • Reviewed on 06/09/2017

"Customer support is amazing"

Comments: Easier email sends

Pros: Customer support is great. Always willing to help and quick to get a real human. I would definitely recommend this software based on their tech support.

Cons: functionality could be better. Organization within the software is lacking. I wish it was easier to use.

• Reviewed on 06/09/2017
Angie j A.
Microsoft Channel Manager

"Love the Tool"

Comments: The product just keeps getting better and better.

Pros: The Customer Service Team goes above and beyond.

Cons: There is an expression, "you don't know what you don't know." Act-On has been a great service for my clients for different reasons, but there is nothing that Act-On hasn't been able to solve for my clients. So nothing comes to mind.

by Act-On Software on 21/09/2018

Thanks for the great review, Angie! We love hearing that you're an Act-On enthusiast!

Fergus T.
Partner
Management Consulting, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 07/03/2017

"BEWARE of their non-cancelable contracts!"

Comments: AVOID these guys at all cost. The ux is poor and you'll need a dedicated in house resource to learn and operate a sub-optimal system.

Pros: Sales team will be all over you prior to signing. That should have been a sign to run. Truly a poor and deceitful software company

Cons: Read the contract carefully. They include an auto-renewal clause that is non-cancelable. They will not notify you at all when the contract renewal is coming up and automatically lock you into a full year which they won't let you cancel. As a small business testing out systems this is horrible. They should at least notify customers of upcoming renewals. We had stopped using the software as months before and forgot about it until we starting seeing $ charges to the company. When we tried to cancel they refused and sent the account to a collection agency...well done Act-on. Any world class software company doesn't try to trick clients into sticking with them. Provide a valuable service and clients will gladly stick with you.....when Adobe, Microsoft, and Google all allow you to adjust subscriptions and drop subscriptions to services not being used at any time.

• Reviewed on 07/03/2017