15 years helping Australian businesses

About Skype

Skype is Microsoft's own VoIP software for free Internet telephony, video conferencing, messaging, and chat services.

Learn more about Skype

Pros:

Cons:

The software can be glitchy, and sometimes calls will drop or audio quality will be poor.

Skype ratings

4.4
4.1
4.1
4.3

7.7/10

Skype has an overall rating of 4.2 out 5 stars based on 449 user reviews on Capterra.

Have you used Skype before?

Ali
Ali
Server Administrator in Morocco
Information Technology & Services, 2–10 Employees

Skype has always been the best traditional voice calling app until Microsoft acquired it

Comments: Support wide range of operating systems Linux, Windows, Android, Apple IOS , can work even on smart TVs.
It has the possibility to edit or delete chat messages.
very good quality voice and video calls even with very low quality internet connection.

Pros:

Skype is the best App for voice and video calling, it have been around since forever one of the best stable reliable communication apps. it has very important functions that many other calling and chat apps are missing, like editing messages and it was able to save the history of your chat and shared media forever. until 2011 when Microsoft acquired Skype they seem to have started to messed up things alot they lowered the number of years you can keep your chat history to only 3 years. and feels like they are killing Skype to push for other alternative solution Microsoft Teams, which is now included in Windows 11 as the default communication app.

Cons:

it can keep only last 3 year of chat history. Owned by Microsoft which seems to push for other alternative communication Apps like Microsoft Teams.

Robert
Robert
Freelancer in US
Computer Software, Self Employed

Essential of communication

Comments: Skype is the best for regular meetings.

Pros:

Skype is free for online meetings. I have not felt any limitations in regular meetings. I can call my friends without the need to send a link to them. It supports texting out of the meetings. A user can send images and files during a meeting and out of it. I can record my meeting easily. I can call telephone numbers at a low cost with my number. In video calls, backgrounds work very well.

Cons:

Transcription is good, but it still needs more improvement. Sometimes a video of meetings is choppy. You don't have any control over the microphone or camera of the other party when you call them.

Kelvin
Logistics Officer in US
Automotive, 11–50 Employees

Skype Video Quality

5.0 last month New

Comments: Amazing to be able to virtually interact with people and at ease.

Pros:

Skype has the best quality of videos. I like how I can record video for later reference.

Cons:

Skype is wonderful and it has no downfalls.

Antonio
Antonio
Senior Solutions Engineer in Italy
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Good product but...

Comments: The experience is good but, considering the list of features of the competitors (Teams and Slack in particular), I prefer using other products where I can. I see the competitors as "more complete" than Skype.

Pros:

It is a good product for instant messaging even if, compared to the past, now there are other products (Teams and Slack) that can be used for this. The product works also for video calls including the sharing of the screen. The notifications of a new message/reaction work fine: you never miss a warning for a new message.

Cons:

Even if the notification system of a new message works well, you do not have the possibility to receive the warning only if you are directly mentioned. That's a limit compared to the competitors. At the same time, if you need to share a document via Skype, you can but searching it becomes hard even if there is a dedicated section. Moreover, you can't organize the chat "by topic" as you can do for example with Teams or Slack.

Rick
Sys Admin in Canada
Wholesale, 11–50 Employees

Great Product

Comments: We have 2 branches in different cities so Skype saves us in long distance calling. We all use the Instant Messaging feature. A lot of our work environment just needs a few word answers amongst employees so its way quicker then drafting an email. The notification pop up helps with users busy screens but even if you miss it, the icon turns orange on the taskbar so it wont be missed.

Pros:

Quick, efficient way for our employee's to communicate. Cheap to implement and doesn't bog down the system. Alerts pop-ups perfect since most users have 10-15 windows open and 2-3 monitors at the same time.

Cons:

No cons, Microsoft seems to be be pushing Teams however but we prefer to stay on Skype.

Education Management, 1,001–5,000 Employees

A good software for communication

Comments: The experience with skype is still good. It is an indispensable software in the world of communication.

Pros:

Skype is a software widely used by businesses and individuals. It is free to use and it helps to create a culture of team communication. In addidtion, this is a great tool to use for remote workers, telecommuters and anyone who wants to talk on camera without having to set up a full-blown studio. It is also useful for organizing calls and sharing ecards.

Cons:

Sype is a great tool. The only problem I have with it is that it takes too long to solve a problem in many other areas. But you have to admit that it does in the end.

Jonathan
Photographer in Trinidad & Tobago
Photography, Self Employed

J.L. Skype Review

Comments: Skype has been a great tool that I've used in the past couple of months as a way of communicating with family members and business partners alike across the world via audio-video. However, it's privacy concerns and limited features really drive me away from using it regularly.

Pros:

I can learn almost anything virtually and therefore have the skills to work anywhere in the world. For example, I recently had a financial wellness webinar where I learned a lot about budgeting, taxes, and more.

Cons:

Skype has faced privacy concerns related to data security and encryption so I tend to use other software like Google Meet and Zoom.

Ilan
Ilan
Freelance Graphic Designer in US
Graphic Design, Self Employed

Skype Review

4.0 3 weeks ago New

Comments: Skype has not posed any major issues and is a reliable service for whenever I have online meeting needs. It's a well known brand and people trust it for meeting about both business uses and casual needs like playing games online with friends while keeping a voice chat open without using cell phones.

Pros:

It lets any user access remote contact for free and without needing to worry about cell calling limits while providing instant access to powerful tools like streaming your own screen via screen sharing. A game changer for quick day to day meetings in any workplace scenario whether that's an artist to a client showing progress or within a 30 person office for a monthly progress meeting.

Cons:

Occasional discconnection issues and needing to share passwords to formal meetings are standard across programs like these, annoying but not limited to Skype by any means.

Carol-Ann
Owner in France
Arts & Crafts, Self Employed

To Skype or not to Skype

4.0 2 months ago New

Comments: Skype was revolutionary in its day but sad to say I think that is now a thing of the past.

Pros:

In its day Skype was fantastic, and we all used it.

Cons:

Unfortunately Skype has been surpassed by other Apps that offer more features. It is clunky to use and is really just not competitive.

Priyanjali
Associate in India
Law Practice, 51–200 Employees

Skype Skying high!

Comments: Its a good to go application but off-course with internet connectivity

Pros:

Video conferencing and the ease of using the application

Cons:

At times the application takes time to load

Alexandre
Automation engineer in Brazil
Industrial Automation, 51–200 Employees

Pioneer tool

Comments: I've used Skype a lot to make video calls to other states in the country, it's a pioneering tool that has helped many people.

Pros:

The experience I had was generally very good, skype has a lot of features for video calling and calls. You can share screens, translate links, and more. All this in a practical and free way.

Cons:

Despite being an old and widely used platform, nowadays social networks are much more improved than before, so you can make video calls and calls for free with instagram, facebook and other social networks, so in my social cycle, people don't use it that much. I believe Skype could invest more in marketing and innovation, encourage more usage, as competitors are gaining more users every day.

Financial Services, 1,001–5,000 Employees

It's easy for me to communicate with others when I utilize Skype

Comments: For both personal and business reasons, Skype is a terrific way to connect quickly and effortlessly. It helps you to feel as if you're in the same place. If you don't want to bother with video or audio, this is a convenient way to communicate fast and effectively. For group talks, I don't think this is a good fit. The maximum group size is ten. Because Google Hangouts was free, we used it for small group calls and GoToMeeting for bigger ones. A fee-based service like GoToMeeting was well-suited for this purpose, though.

Pros:

Skype is a fantastic tool for chatting, video conferencing, and more. You may download and use it for free; even beginners can get started right away because it's so simple to use. Text, audio, or video can all be used to communicate. Skype is a cross-platform application that may be used on a variety of devices. Skype has the potential to improve the productivity of business users. You can invite your contacts to meetings that you schedule through the app. Only those who have been invited to the meeting and those who have been linked to the room can join Skype meetings. There are several advantages to using Skype for collaboration. For example, it facilitates file transfer and screen sharing. Skype's OneDrive integration enables you to share files one-by-one or in bulk over Skype. Any content from your computer or phone can be shared with your colleagues if video meetings are not enough. All Skype users, including non-hosts, have access to a shared virtual whiteboard. Use the whiteboard's freehand drawing tool and text to have group discussions and strategize.

Cons:

Skype itself is not a problem for me; it's Microsoft's approach to it that bothers me. Skype will no longer be supported by Microsoft in Windows 11. To utilize Skype on Windows 10, you'll need to get used to Microsoft Teams, which is essential for greater security and additional features in Windows 11.

Diane
Paralegal in US
Law Practice, 2–10 Employees

Speedy messaging

Comments: I need to talk and work with the other paralegals and attorneys daily, Skype is easier to use and organizing a meeting isn't as difficult. Speedy messaging is nice to have.

Pros:

Skype is very easy to use, much easier than than some of the others. Adding contacts is very easy. I like how quickly I can set up a call, voice only or video. Skype has chat and can be used to send files. Since it's included in Microsoft office 365 I don't have to download it or subscribe.

Cons:

I've had very good Skype calls and very poor Skype calls, I never know what I'll get with Skype. I have to go into my office or a room in my house and close the door to prevent background sound. If someone I'm talking to hasn't done this it's very hard to hear them.

Shamim
Software Engineer in Bangladesh
Information Technology & Services, 51–200 Employees

Online meeting has become beautiful because of Skype

Comments: I was looking for a new video conferencing app with an agenda and agenda settings, but Zoom Meeting App is really confusing. I had to call the chat support twice and still can't figure it out. Then I moved to skype and I had a pleasure experience

Pros:

I have been using Skype for a while now and I really like it. It is easy to use and the quality is always clear. I also have never had any issues with it crashing on me or anything. Overall, Skype has exceeded my expectations and I would recommend it to anyone looking for a good chat app

Cons:

It used to be one of my favorite apps in the world and allowed me to communicate with my family as if they were right next to me, no matter where I was in the world. Recently, however, it seems that many things have changed and it's not what it used to be.

Raj
DGM Marketing in India
Mining & Metals, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Skype helps us stay in touch

Comments: It is the best VoIP (voice over IP) tool for teams and individuals.

Pros:

1. Chat or make audio/video calls for free to any device having skype. You can even use it from your mobile app. 2. Skype has an inbuilt translator to translate voice calls automatically. It is a game-changing feature that many competing tools can’t match easily. 3. You can also make calls to landlines or mobile phones on a paid basis. 4. You can store a list of contacts with their skype IDs and chat/ call histories. 5. It is straightforward to set up the tool. After you sign up, you can log in, check the mic and speaker settings, and you are good to go. Invite friends and start communicating. 6. You can set status, change the profile pic, adjust notifications, change theme, and dark mode, use keyboard shortcuts, and do lots more to customize your skype experience. 7. You can also search your chat histories to spot important details. 8. The Skype interface is very intuitive, where you can learn how to use different features without user manuals. 9. You can also create or join meetings for group communications. 10. There are options to set your background scenery to look better during video calls.

Cons:

1. If you have no balance, you can’t make a single call to analog numbers like landlines or mobile phones. 2. In the case of slow internet connections, most features are not usable. 3. There are some privacy issues and safety features that need improvement, especially in mobile devices. 4. The basic version of the translator is free, but you need to pay for any meaningful conversations. 5. Conferencing feature for audio/ video calls has some hiccups, and there is scope for improvement.

Esther
Esther
Product Designer in US
Design, Self Employed

Get a local phone number via skype

Pros:

What I love the most with Skype is they give you the chance to pick a phone number with your local area code. You can also choose from any other region in the country. The assign phone number will perform just like any regular phone number would. You can pick up calls and respond to text without an issue.

Cons:

I dislike the fact that renewing your monthly phone number and your calling credits are two separate bills. I wish they all came as one package.

Carlos
Carlos
CEO in Uruguay
Import & Export, 51–200 Employees

It's a good app but the competition has already beat it

Comments: Good, although clearly others options far exceeds it

Pros:

It's very easy to install and intuitive to use, which makes the experience pleasant, you can share the screen and other things that, especially for the time, were great!

Cons:

Its interface looks the same as years ago, it has things that give that impression of "stuck in time". It also consumes a lot of resources.

Rahul
Email marketing specialist in Spain
Marketing & Advertising, 51–200 Employees

Qualitative use of Skype

Pros:

Skype is all time best product until there was not other competitors in market. But Still Skype is good in messaging. - group texting is best thing we have - one of major features i like is that auto transalation to talk with people from other conutry

Cons:

need some improvement for video conferencing + sometimes translation issues due to multiple words mismatch.

Joelle
Joelle
Senior 2D Animator in Canada
Animation, 51–200 Employees

I Used to Use Skype Every Day

Comments: Skype was my Facebook or Twitter back in the day. It was the way that I connected with others and it was a solid platform to be on. I didn't stop using it because of any particular gripes or issues, but because my friends moved on to other programs, and I followed. Overall a good program if you want to chat with people.

Pros:

It was a way for me to connect to my friends and relatives, and also allowed me to chat in real time over voice video chat. Coming from the era of Instant Messenger, this was a huge step up and a great tool to use. I'm sure it's still great for personal and work use, but I haven't used it in several years.

Cons:

It was relatively simplistic. That being said, I wasn't using all of it's features, and it has likely evolved a lot since I last used it.

Fabian
Technical Support Representative in Jamaica
Telecommunications, 501–1,000 Employees

skyping the universe and beyond!

Comments: I've been using skype for both business and pleasure and Ill be totally honest there's nothing like them on the market. skype has been around for a few years and their services are getting better and better, we all know time is money and I can guarantee you if you use this application you wont have to worry about procrastination, being a long time user of skype I've mastered the art of speech and getting straight to the point in my conversations whilst having fun using the application.

Pros:

skype is not only the best but it is an application that everyone should have tried downloaded to their devices, i love the peace of mind easy talk features and its free when calling other peoples who have downloaded it to their personal devices.

Cons:

calls can be a little intermittent at times

Rebecca
Billing Coordinator in US
Law Practice, 1,001–5,000 Employees

Very user friendly!

Comments: The live texting is great but what I really like is being able to share my screen or have my coworker share their screen. It saves so much time!

Pros:

The ease of maneuvering through the software was great.

Cons:

Could use a few more options in the "away messages".

Jignasa
Sr HR Admin in India
Information Technology & Services, 11–50 Employees

Best Product for Communication, Audio & Video Calls

Comments: Skype helped me to stay connected with whole team. Realtime messages and easy user interface helps to use it easily.

Pros:

Skype allows to communicate and make free high defination calls easily. It's very easy to install in smart phones and personal computers. Skypes makes it easy to search people, messages and media files shared in past.Realtime notifications are the best in industry.Call recording is a plus.

Cons:

Skype keeps recorded calls for 30 days only this is the only con I felt.

Sai
Senior Engineer in India
Information Technology & Services, 10,000+ Employees

Standing in the storm of Zoom

Comments: 1. Skype is still the best for One on One messaging and Group messaging.
2. Along with Zoom, Skype turned out to be a blessing for Work From Home employees.
3. Easy connectivity with Colleagues if added to groups. don't have to search for them every now and then.

Pros:

1. Ease of connectivity with peers. 2. Smooth and intuitive user interface. 3. Amalgamation of Skype with other Microsoft products. 4. Feature of Adding colleagues in Groups. 5. Dialing to phone option.

Cons:

1. Screensharing takes a longer time. It keeps on loading for the person at the other end. 2. Team meetings through skype are bad. Audio clarity is bad. 3. Calls are not instant. It takes time to connect to the called colleague.

Gordan
athlete in Croatia
Sports, 11–50 Employees

Skype review

Comments: I used skype when I was arranging consultations at the university, I answered exams through the skype application. I made conference calls with my friends. The video quality of the call is excellent, it's easy to find new contacts, many people use it. I would love to be able to send larger documents or videos via Skype

Pros:

Real time chat ,realtime notifications, conferencing are the most useful feature.Very easy use of aplication with clear explanation.

Cons:

File sharing can be better.I would like to share bigger files in skype.

Amar
Amar
Senior Software Engineer in India
Information Technology & Services, 501–1,000 Employees

Best Professional Communication Tool

Pros:

In Skype i like too many features, i am explaining few - Best and first one is Emojis' (Skype has cute and awesome emojis) - Screen sharing (During covid most used feature in cooperate ) - Instant messaging - Audio and smoth video and conference call - Secure document sharing

Cons:

I used skype too frequently, I usually faced notification missing issue. -someone ping me in group or one to one , some times i did not receive real time notification - in Calling if network got fluctuated , call got disconnect or just in ideal state where we were not able to hear each other.