Trail Blazer Non-Profit Manager Reviews

by Trail Blazer Campaign Services

• Overall

About Trail Blazer Non-Profit Manager

Trail Blazer is an all-in-one donor management and fundraising CRM for small, medium, and large nonprofit organizations.

Learn more about Trail Blazer Non-Profit Manager

Jen Z.
  • Reviewed on 12/12/2011

Comments: I work for a small nonprofit organization with limited staff capacity. We have used Trail Blazer Non-Profit Manager for several years. It has worked great for us. We are able to efficiently manage donors and contributions, run reports and queries, send e-blasts and generate other correspondence, track contacts, while sorting contacts into groups. The customer service is excellent and we appreciate that they have a local office where people actually answer the phone. There is also a large help center with videos, webinars, and access 24/7 to my questions.

• Reviewed on 12/12/2011
Rebecca W.
Fine Art
  • Reviewed on 17/09/2014

"Good product for the money"

Pros: The price is great. The customer service is very prompt and generally helpful.

Cons: It can be very time consuming to maintain data integrity.

• Reviewed on 17/09/2014
Susan M.
Fine Art, Self Employed
  • Reviewed on 23/12/2014

"Much more user-friendly than eTap!"

Pros: The customer support is flawless. These folks really want to ensure the best experience possible.

Cons: It isn't as easy to set up as we'd hoped, and we are not able to set up class registration very well. We also need reserved seating, which they don't offer.

by Dan on 05/05/2017

It was true that in December 2014 Trail Blazer’s software did not offer reserved seating functions. However in September 2015 reserved seating functions were added on the desktop version, and on the mobile phone. Attendees can reserve the seat(s) they want and the price bracket (i.e. child, adult, senior, non-member, member, etc.) easily from their smartphone or our free web forms

• Reviewed on 23/12/2014
Miranda D.
Continuous Improvement Coordinator
Environmental Services, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 21/03/2018

"Trail Blazer is intimate and helpful"

Comments: This is a solid product, and they are constantly upgrading the software to look neater, work faster, and become more customizable.

Pros: TrailBlazer is a small company that treats its customers like family. Their customer support picks up every time I call and they are incredible helpful no matter what question I ask.

Cons: The platform is not cloud-based, but this is fine for small organizations. We loved the customization that is available, though some of the features are not very intuitive and taking longer than anticipated to setup.

by Dan, Trail Blazer Campaign Services on 26/03/2018

Trail Blazer is a cloud-based client-server software package. Your donor data is stored securely in the cloud on our dual mirrored servers. You access your data using the Trail Blazer client application that runs on your PC. If you are using a Mac, our application is served up using Remote Desktop Connection. Plus, Trail Blazer provides a free app called Mobile Base Camp that allows you to access portions of the database from any iPhone or Android phone.

• Reviewed on 21/03/2018
Betsy S.
Individual & Family Services, 2-10 Employees

"Great for fundraising"

Pros: Trailblazer is easy to use and the customer support is very helpful when questions arise.

Cons: Some of the reporting options could be a bit more straightforward to use, however they are pretty easy to customize.

Shayna T.
Development Director
  • Reviewed on 28/12/2020

"Just letting you know..."

Comments: I like the fact I can pick up the phone and call support and have a live person answer - I'm not sure I'll get the same customer service with other products.

Pros: I think in some cases it can be user-friendly and in other instances because we don't use it for what it was made to do it is hard to navigate.

Cons: As a non-profit person, there are a lot of things I don't like about it. I think to sum everything up it's bulky and not made to do what I need in the field I'm in.

by Trail Blazer Campaign Services on 29/12/2020

Thank you Shayna for the review! We would love to learn more about your specific pain points in the system and to make sure you are comfortable with the different tools you need. Often times we will perform a couple of recorded training sessions with a user that is running into an issue and by the end, they are able to easily perform said task. If the system can't do something, we relay that request to development. You may also find our new mobile apps and web app (Trail Blazer IQ) to have a more simplistic interface for certain tasks. Joel

• Reviewed on 28/12/2020
Charity S.
Primary/Secondary Education
  • Reviewed on 11/02/2015

"Trail Blazer was a perfect choice for my non-profit"

Pros: We are a small staff, and I am the only one with any experience (limited) with software like Trail Blazer. Trail Blazer is intuitive to use, and if I get stuck, I have software support at my fingertips through the support team at Trail Blazer, but also through step-by-step instructions on the site. The staff has been very helpful, and they get back to me right away, so I'm never stuck for long.

Cons: The software is a perfect fit for us, so I have not had a negative feeling toward anything specific. We have not yet rolled out all the functionality (web and event modules), but that is primarily because we are taking our time in learning one part of the software before moving to the next.

• Reviewed on 11/02/2015
Joanne H.
Civic & Social Organization
  • Reviewed on 06/05/2015

"Help Desk Excellence - Trail Blazer Campaign Software"

Pros: Amazing tech support from incredibly patient people - can't say enough how important this is. Seamless integration with FEC for super easy electronic filing.

Cons: I can't compare it to other software that does the same thing, but increased user-friendliness would be greatly appreciated by all. YouTube videos are helpful, but they, along with the knowledge base, don't make it easy to find what you need. Fortunately, tech support goes above and beyond. They could definitely use more developers to work on improvements or known issues.

• Reviewed on 06/05/2015
Roxanne F.
Education Management, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 24/12/2020

"Data collection"

Comments: We have better communication with our partners, volunteers, and customers.

Pros: Our office does not use the software for donor management. We use it for volunteer and educational workshop attendees data collection. Each employee had their own mail list and you had ask if anyone had the person you were looking for. How inefficient! Trail Blazer is quick and easy for all staff to use.

Cons: I would like to see an easier faster way to download a list. Maybe download it as an Excel file.

by Trail Blazer Campaign Services on 28/12/2020

Roxanne, thank you for the review! Regarding the download of data - from every list in the database you can download it by clicking [Export]. This allows the file to be opened in Excel. I will follow up with you directly to walk through that process. Joel

• Reviewed on 24/12/2020
John H.
executive director
  • Reviewed on 09/11/2018

"Trail Blazer for Member based Nonprofits"

Comments: Outstanding. I wish the vendors in other areas that I deal with were this committed to customer support and satisfaction.

Pros: The software has many features that have worked well for our group which is a membership based nonprofit. Over the few years that we have had it, the company has made substantial improvements on a continuing basis. However, the assumptions underlying the software's design and features must be a close match to your real world operations or you will likely need to adjust how you do some things to make the software work for you. However, the software is very adaptive, it has many features we need and quite a few we have not implemented. Also, and this is critical for us, the software support, training and consulting is worth every penny you pay for the annual license and more!

Cons: There are some issues but these are the nature of the beast with a product with so many features. One is the learning curve (although you can restrict access to certain features on a user by use basis to let them "grow" into the system). Another is that for a membership based system there are design assumptions that we have had to "work around" - but the programmers and tech support have been wonderful to make changes, tweaks and suggest alternative ways to get things done.

• Reviewed on 09/11/2018
Ykatirina C.
Database Manager
Performing Arts, 2-10 Employees
  • Reviewed on 17/12/2020

"Lacking on Donor Mailing Capabilities"

Comments: I have learned a lot about how to use this database, however, I am often frustrated at how clunky it is. Yes, it's customizable, but it's very difficult to do some of the most straightforward and necessary functions for our organization.

Pros: I like that you can customize and edit your own attributes and query views for columns.
I love how in columns, you can make attributes updatable, and edit them.
I like that you can save queries, though I rarely use the function.

Cons: There's a lot that I dislike about the user experience of this database:
-When you run a query, I wish you could create an attribute and assign it to all donors in the query
-I wish I could update attributes for donors from other search space (e.g. contributions, events, etc)
-I don't like that it's only available on PC, and I have to use remote desktop on my Mac laptop.
-Mailings are really difficult - households aren't very use-friendly. For example, when I want to mail all of our donors, I have to search the donors in contributions, export them, import them to tag with an attribute as donors, then I honestly can't remember the next steps, if very complicated, and if I am creating multiple lists (e.g. donors, Lybunts, non-donors) I have to deduplicate the lists because there is so much overlap, when I just want the system to reflect who is on what list--it's very complicated and time consuming.
-WIth Contributions, the button to "exclude events marked 'non-tax deductible'"to distinguish between sales and donations, is not available in other queries outside the contribution tab.
-Reports are not helpful - unclear if it's including all income, vs. just contributions
-I need to use summaries and pivot tables for most basic tasks, which is very challenging
-Searching and exporting a List of our donors, separated by giving level is very complicated
-Importing - duplicate contacts happen often when names & emails don't merge
-Matching funds & Events is weird & clunky

by Trail Blazer Campaign Services on 21/12/2020

Thank you for the review and the detailed feedback. As we continue to develop our product we are always interested in which items a customer struggles with, and making every effort to improve it. A few items worth mentioning: they system has the ability to mass update both a list of individual contacts as well as household records with an attribute item en masse.
- Article 1: https://www.trailblz.com/kb/?action=view&kb=276&cat=0&qq=attribute
- Article 2: https://www.trailblz.com/kb/?action=view&kb=234&cat=0&qq=attribute

Regarding the upkeep of household records, running and saving custom queries and reports for mailings and other purposes, we HIGHLY recommend a live interactive training with one of our experts on the same: [email protected]

We see that a customer that is struggling with something can usually rectify it with a training, and often a second or third on more complex issues.

Laura G.
  • Reviewed on 28/10/2015

"Robust donor management with excellent Customer Support!"

Comments: Our agency has only scratched the surface of Trail Blazer's functionality, but found it to be an effective tool for our fundraising needs. Client support is top-notch; I never had to wait more than a few minutes for help navigating the system.

• Reviewed on 28/10/2015
Mary L.
Development Director
Health, Wellness & Fitness, 51-200 Employees
  • Reviewed on 12/11/2018

"Trail Blazer review"

Comments: Also, I haven't had time to really learn the program, so I end up forgetting how to use the software between sessions. It is not super intuitive and can be difficult to use.

Pros: The staff are super helpful. I would like it to perform as our donor management tool, but we haven't gotten to that point yet.

Cons: Honestly, this platform has been difficult for me because I have a MAC and it doesn't translate well. I have had a hard time using the features because of that.

• Reviewed on 12/11/2018
Rut N.
  • Reviewed on 22/11/2011

Comments: CornerHouse is a non-profit that conducts forensic interviews of abused children, teens and vulnerable adults. TrailBlazer Non-Profit Manager holds information of our donors, volunteers, colleagues, referents and more. The database allows us to distinguish between the groups, and the different relationships we have with them. This allows for specified donor drives, email campaigns, and more. Customer support has been amazing: always helpful, always friendly, and always available. The online tutorials are very good at teaching you the basics and then getting you into more specific areas. The staff is very patient if you have to ask the same question multiple times. We truly recommend TrailBlazer Non-Profit Manager!!!

• Reviewed on 22/11/2011
Lee N.
Development Specialist
  • Reviewed on 27/01/2016

"Awesome contact management system, communication, events and more!"

Comments: Not having any coding experience I thought it might be difficult to use HOWEVER, the customer service is AWESOME!
They created our first template for us and it was exactly what we had envisioned.
They have a quick turnaround on any email (Joel!) and are always available by phone (Kevin)!
The you tube videos are helpful too with the graphics as I am a visual learner.
We have several upcoming events and look forward to using the event portion of the system.
As I said we are still in the learning curve but so far it has been a positive experience.
With so many programs available and us being a new nonprofit it's hard to know which one to go with- I'm glad we chose TrailBlazer.

• Reviewed on 27/01/2016
Linda H.
Director of Development & Marketing
11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 28/04/2017

"While we are still learning the various functions and tweaking our data in Trail Blazer we have high hopes that this platform will serve us well."

Pros: That we can have all of our information on one data base which will make it much easier in tracking potential donors.

Cons: There are a few features that we would still like to have for our education departments and events and we have spent hours cleaning up the data base once it was transferred over to match with the Trail Blazer system while meeting our needs.

• Reviewed on 28/04/2017
Jennie D.
Director of Communications and Development
Nonprofit Organization Management, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 13/11/2018

"Trail Blazer gives me back my time."

Comments: It has really helped me keep better track of campaigns and LYBUNTs. Mailing is a lot easier now as well. It has automated several things that have helped me spend more time working on what matters.

Pros: The Trail Blazer team is so helpful and getting started is so easy. It is easy to search for the information I need.

Cons: There have been a few things that have been hard to do find to edit.

Karen S.
Parent Volunteer
Primary/Secondary Education, 11-50 Employees
  • Reviewed on 15/04/2021

"Top notch customer support"

Comments: Awesome experience. Very happy with TB.

Pros: Amazing customer service. Quick to respond to email or phone call. Tons of excellent knowledge docs and they always help identify which one is best suited for your question. Always willing to help no matter how many times I reach out.

Cons: There's so much functionality and so many knowledge docs that I sometimes feel overwhelmed by it all. Wish there was a 10,000 foot view of everything the system offers, and the we could drill down into specific functionality to learn more.
Customer support is awesome when I know what I want to do, but I feel like I could be doing so much more with this system.

• Reviewed on 15/04/2021
Sam R.
  • Reviewed on 17/01/2013

Comments: Operation Rebirth is a Christian Boarding School ministering to boys and their families for 37 years. Before purchasing Trail Blazer, we used several different programs to track donations, maintain mailing lists and communicate with our supporters. Now all of of our information resides in one, easy to use database that can be accessed by any of our staff at anytime, in the office or from remote locations. The implementation of the database took very little time- we were up and running on Trail Blazer the very first day. While we are still learning to fully use Trail Blazer, it has already allowed us to track campaigns effectively and communicate with our donors instantly! Their customer support is excellent from the simplest questions to the most complex issues they are patient and yet quick to help.

• Reviewed on 17/01/2013
Laura P.
  • Reviewed on 04/01/2013

Comments: We have been disappointed by the system thus far as we are a MAC/Apple office - the smaller screen and need for Remote Desktop App is cumbersome and frustrating. When I did the demo at home on my PC it was crisp, clear and easy to navigate. We might have made a different choice if I had used the demo on my MAC. Great customer support - they really do answer by the second ring and they don't give up until you are satisfied. In the first week, I must have called 10 times - Joel and all of the folks were helpful, polite and informed. I think it is a great system that can do a wide variety of things - our challenge now is to dedicate a staff person who will be responsible for learning all of the "bells and whistles" and making it worth the money invested.

by Dan on 11/01/2013

This points to a deficiency in our documentation. We have since updated our documentation and contacted Laura. If you select “View” from the Remote Desktop Client (RDC) menu bar and choose “full screen,” the Trail Blazer window will occupy the full physical screen, and you’ll get the image clarity Laura referred to.

• Reviewed on 04/01/2013
Riley G.
Civic & Social Organization
    2.5 /5
  • Reviewed on 12/06/2014

"Good product, great support"

Pros: Their customer support definitely. It is always easy to get in touch with them, and they've developed an extremely helpful online bank with screenshot photos to easily walk you through the process.

Cons: The email system isn't set up the best. In order to get a professional-looking email, which we've gotten from other sources, we have to know how to code in the technical aspects. This isn't our strong suit and makes mass emailing difficult. It would also be much simpler if it could interface with our accounting software (Peachtree). We wouldn't have to do a lot of the duplicate work recording donations and such. Additionally, it would be very helpful if the notification feature could send an email to the responsible party and not just notify their Trail Blazer account.

by Dan on 30/12/2014

Trail Blazer has addressed this email building concern. In October of 2014, Trail Blazer added an entirely new mass email editor called CK Editor. Now, it’s far easier for customers to create their own mass emails than before. It has been well received by our customers.

• Reviewed on 12/06/2014
Bekka B.
Development
  • Reviewed on 02/11/2018

"Totally satisfied - Outstanding customer service"

Comments: Simply put this is a perfect data base system.

Pros: While this database doesn't come with lots of pretty buttons to click, the staff at Trail Blazer walks you through every step of set up and is there for you - ongoing - within 2 rings of the phone and email response within the hour - every time. The system is robust.

Cons: There is nothing we dislike about this software.

Felecia M.
  • Reviewed on 02/11/2018

"A solution for nonprofits"

Comments: We have zero regrets working with Trail Blazer.

Pros: As a nonprofits that tracks donations, volunteer hours, programs, events, and outcomes, Trail Blazer is easy to use for all individuals in our organization, and if affordable compared to most CRMs. We no longer use numerous excel spreadsheets to track information - rather we can look at the comprehensive pictures of people who are involved with our organizations. (IE Do they attend events, volunteer, and donate?) We also use Trail Blazer to house detailed and complex data to pull for reports. The support team is also very responsive, nice to speak with, and always willing to help immediately.

Cons: Because Trail Blazer was originally created for elections, you have to be creative on how you categorize and define certain data points. IE All individuals are called donors even if they don't donate. But if you can be flexible in how you define certain elements, it works great!

Barbara P.
Bookkeeper
Religious Institutions, 11-50 Employees

"Good Starter program"

Comments: We are able to track donations by events and have a great database for marking!

Pros: the program is very easy to use for donation tracking and works well with Vanco for online donations and events

Cons: Needs some software improvements. Templates don't save the margins for envelopes and do not allow you to have a left sided letterhead. Extracting information for year end letters can be cumbersome but customer service is very good at helping out to get what you need.

Tracey V.
Education Management, 2-10 Employees

"Wonderful Product"

Comments: Very positive. Customer Service has been EXCELLENT. You won't find a better team anywhere. I am a raving fan and I have used Blackbaud, DonorPerfect and many other fundraising or donor tracking software.

Pros: Trailblazer is used for our non-profit. It is easy peasy to export the data you need. You don't need complicated codes or reports, you can access what you need quickly including event information & ticket sales. It does all we need and then some.

Cons: That it won't allow you to sell tables or golf foursomes and include the names of the guests. This needs to be revised and I submitted this request in October of 2018. You need to be willing to learn some coding to make the features work really well. The mobile piece needs to allow you to open a record and read notes etc. It isn't just for canvassing any more.